January 17th, 2010

Golden Globes red carpet: A few fashion hits and unfortunate misses

testing captions
testing captions

The sun may not have come out for the 67th annual Golden Globes, but no matter – there were enough bright dresses to offset the downpour.

Ginnifer Goodwin donned an asymmetrical cobalt blue gown, "The Office's" Mindy Kaling is in a sunshine yellow one-shoulder dress, while both Diane Kruger and Lauren Graham went with hot pink. Sandra Bullock, up for two “Globe” awards tonight, is wearing an almost iridescent floor-length purple gown.

Young actresses Lea Michele and Anna Kendrick both went for the drama, with the “Glee” star doing ‘50s glam in a floor-length black, corseted gown, and Kendrick taking a break from her standard red carpet minidress for a white and gold one-shoulder piece.

Jenna Fischer gets points for wearing something with some shine – I just wish it wasn't also completely shapeless. I have a hunch that’s going to end up on the “what was she thinking?” side of the tally tomorrow morning.

And then we come to Julianne Moore. The gorgeous Moore made an appearance in a slate gray, strapless dress, held up only by what appears to be some black crepe paper.

Who are your favorite fashion hits and misses tonight? Let us know in the comments!

Filed under: Golden Globes

1. Janine

I think Penelope Cruz was perfection. I just don't get why so many go for the pale colors when they have pale skin, they look washed out. I loved the bold jewel tones in purples, blues and deep green. I was surprised at Julia Roberts outfit, it was rather disappointing.

January 19, 2010 at 8:34 am | Report abuse |
  2. Eva

Kate Hudson's white dress was stunning, elegant, and perfect – my favorite.

Kate Winslet looked beautiful in her dark blue gown, and Drew Barrymore was sophisticated and timeless.

Sophia Loren was stunning at 75.

On a sidenote, I am so pleased that Martin Scorsese got a lifetime award.

Directors like Quentin Tarantino pale compared to his intelligence, sensitivity, and ingenuity. He is one of the last bastions of Hollywood brilliance – before it was all about looks and talent came second.

January 19, 2010 at 1:10 am | Report abuse |
  3. citizenUSA

Hey, I like looking at hot babes all dolled up as much as the next guy, (or girl). However I think all that should be a thing of the past, "who are you wearing"?, vintage this year, your own stuff the next, gowns made from recycled fish heads... I don't ever hear people talking about anything more than someone looked nice. In this day and age the saying should be, "if you got it, don't show it off because those who don't may feel inadequate". OK, that's too long but you get the idea. I think there are too many award shows anyway. Party I say, just keep it low profile.

January 18, 2010 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
  4. Lagunatic

Can we talk about Toni Colette for a second? OMG that girl has the body that rocked the party!!

She was my fave. Maybe she should lay off the bronzer a bit, but she looked fab in that dress.

Sophia Lauren had a gorgeous dress – but the necklace and earring didn't work with it.

January 18, 2010 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
  5. mdm

Drew Barrymore looked AMAZING – loved loved loved her dress. Kate Hudson's dress was gorgeous, too, and I was pleasantly surprised by Meryl Streep's dress.

January 18, 2010 at 3:08 am | Report abuse |
  6. zen

Someone should tell Mariah Carey that wearing swooping necklines looks very tarty. It shows that she has no class.

January 18, 2010 at 2:44 am | Report abuse |
  7. isabel

I think that Kate Hudson looked beautiful in her white floor length gown. Also, Sophia Loren is still as gorgeous as ever. Love her.

January 18, 2010 at 2:09 am | Report abuse |
  8. Jan

Sandra bullock looked amazing! After so many "misses" it is good to see she got it right tonight!

January 17, 2010 at 10:40 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Mel

why is guliana dipandi wearing aluminum foil? who dressed julia roberts? is she going to the office? I like Juliana Marguiles dress the most.

January 17, 2010 at 10:17 pm | Report abuse |