January 15th, 2010

Jimmy Fallon digs 'Pants on the Ground'

testing captions
testing captions

If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, “General” Larry Platt is beloved.

Video of  the Atlanta resident performing his original composition, “Pants on the Ground,” on “American Idol” Wednesday night has not only gone viral, but has also inspired parodies and remixes.

Even celebrities have gotten hooked on the infectious tune. Late night TV host and former SNL cast mate Jimmy Fallon performed a Neil Young inspired cover of the song on his show.

Reached at his home in Atlanta, overnight sensation Platt said he is pleased with all the attention he and his song are getting.

“I feel good,” the 62-year-old said. “I haven’t gotten any sleep because the TV stations and the radio stations keep calling wanting to talk to me.”

Platt said he’s seen some of the other versions of his song on YouTube and he likes them, though he has yet to catch Fallon’s rendition. The former civil rights activist said he’s now being recognized by fans.

“People tell me that they like what I’m saying [in the song,]” Platt said.

Platt said there are plans to record the song, whose lyrics include “Pants on the ground, pants on the ground, looking like a fool with your pants on the ground.”

For right now, Platt is just enjoying all the attention he is getting for singing and dancing on “Idol.”

“Even Ryan Seacrest called me,” Platt said. “He said he liked the song and he told me to keep getting down.”

1. samsung unlocked phone reviews

Normally I do not read article on blogs, but I would like to say that this write-up very compelled me to check out and do it! Your writing taste has been surprised me. Thank you, very nice article.

May 4, 2012 at 8:47 am | Report abuse |
  2. praca

ou did a charitable chore creating a words for the purpose photographers like me with no feel with stock. You explained so much that I needed to know. I con it with intense interest. You are a great writer. I’m tickled pink to from met you and positive that you are as good and clubby as your be employed indicates. Your mending is appreciated.

April 12, 2011 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Rosenda Kacik

Hi,this is really a good jeans,I like the classic pants.

June 1, 2010 at 12:20 am | Report abuse |
  4. joemo

since seeing the General singing his song" Pants on the Ground"
    I can not get it out of my head. It's driving me crazy.

January 18, 2010 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jeff

I thought it was funny that Brett Farve sang the song in the Vikings locker room after they beat the Cowboys.

January 18, 2010 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Virginia

Yeah!! finally...I have hated this pants on the ground look ever since it started..so pull em up people and start looking decent again.

Thanks General

January 18, 2010 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Bud

Wearing pants low originated in prison so that inmates can let others know their looking for love. Is that what you idiots want? Get your pants up like the General says!

January 18, 2010 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
  8. SKYY01

WOW! Great song. I love it. Mr. Platt wish you the best

January 16, 2010 at 7:42 pm | Report abuse |
  9. EDawg

I just saw a clip of the guy performing the song. He is awesome and it is so catchy!I hope he records the song and makes some money! I would go see the concert! Good luck man!

January 16, 2010 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
  10. batnit

This song rocks. I work at the Storyburn website and we are trying to license the lyricks from Mr. Platt

January 16, 2010 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  11. vida

I LOVE the song. I couldn't have phrased it better myself.

January 16, 2010 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Hi

Well, people should not have their pants on the ground. Who in the hell want to see everyone's underwear and who ever thought it was attractive.

January 16, 2010 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  13. dave

A nice way to deliver a much needed message.

January 16, 2010 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Jersey Jeff

I love this guy! He was the best part of Idol so far this year. GO GENERAL LARRY!

January 16, 2010 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
  15. boo-yah

yeah, considering he marched with Martin Luther King, JR, I'm sure he shares the same political views as Sarah Palin.

January 15, 2010 at 10:08 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Reese

I love Pants on the Ground! It's such a funny song and it has a good message! Very fun! "Hat turned sideways, pant hit the ground, walkin, talkin wit ya pants on the ground! get it up!" Go General Platt!!!

January 15, 2010 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
  17. J.Crobuzon

Wow. Yeah, maybe being told off by a cranky old southern colonel will make everyone stop wearing their pants so low. He could be Sarah Palin's running mate in 2012.

January 15, 2010 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Janeall

I loved The General too! I am really hoping this puts an end to the horrible fashion of having your Pants On The Ground. Go, General!!

January 15, 2010 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |