January 15th, 2010

Conan puts 'Tonight Show' up for sale

testing captions
testing captions

Think you know how to handle a late-night show better than NBC? Conan O'Brien's accepting offers.

O'Brien, still installed for the time being as the host of NBC's "The Tonight Show," at 11:35, put his show up for grabs on the Interwebs' favorite site for inexpensive used goods.

"While I still can," O'Brien informed his audience last night. "I've decided to sell 'The  Tonight Show' on Craigslist. I'm not sure exactly how this works, but while I'm here, I feel like this is the thing to do."

O'Brien then panned to the advertisement on Craigslist – whichunfortunately appears to be flagged for removal – to verify that he's serious about selling away NBC's (former) cash cow.

"4 SALE: BARELY-USED LATE NIGHT TALK SHOW – MAKE ME AN OFFER!!!"  the ad read.  According to NYMag.com, the ad described the show as, "designed for 11:35 but ... easily moved."

1. Bill

Conan is the best thing since Carson. The Tonight Show and Conan are a perfict fit. Leno? No...he's not funny and can't deliver a joke...how did he get there in the first place. Send him back to the stage to do his tough guy BS comedy...not even good. Conan is one funny guy. Great show!

January 17, 2010 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Chris

If Conan Leaves NBC, I will stop watching NBC Completely.... Except for Late Night with Jimmy Fallon! I Hope everyone else does the same.. Lets boycott NBC And watch NBC and Jay Leno Fail!

January 17, 2010 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Deeds

I'm definitely with team Condando..

January 17, 2010 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Gary Davis

With Conan being forced out, and Leno possibly turning it down to avoid being the 'bad guy,' Letterman could finally get the Tonight Show!
    –Gary

January 16, 2010 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  5. C Murdock

I have never found Conan O'Brien to be funny, and I'm mystified that anyone does. After more than a decade hosting a talk show, he still doesn't know how to tell a joke. He doesn't know how to create tension, which is necessary for a good punch line. Also, much of his humor is based on ridicule, and I find that very unpleasant. Unfortunately, all three of them - Leno, Letterman and O'Brien - are past their prime. Both Leno and Letterman were much funnier in their earlier years. But O'Brien was never funny.

January 16, 2010 at 4:57 am | Report abuse |
  6. Shelli

This is hilarious! Maybe he can enlist the help of Rod Blagojevich to find the highest bidder! Go away Jay! We want Conan to stay!

January 15, 2010 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jeannine

Both past 60 in our house and we love Conan, even though we skew the demographics. Not anti-Leno, but he's lost his "edge" he once had and I wasn't much of a fan even then. To the old Johnny Carson fans, do you not remember the "Tea-Time Matinee" skits and many of the other wonderful nonsense Johnny did? Yes, he was classy, but also could be outrageous, silly, funny and not so funny. He fell flat a lot and made fun of himself when he did so - as Conan does! NBC has made a mess of programming and it appears Leno wants his old spot back and NBC will do anything to keep him in the stable.

January 15, 2010 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
  8. JAN

great idea conan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 15, 2010 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Chris

Radcliff, dear, do you think anyone BUT Johnny Carson picked his replacement? By the way – you know that he passed away, right? He is spinning in his grave over this. Jay should be ashamed.

January 15, 2010 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Dee

I always thought Jay Leno was better on the tonight show. When he left I stopped watching it. But with the controversy that is going on, I just might not watch again even if Jay Leno does take it over.

January 15, 2010 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Debbi

I won't watch it anymore. Lost all respect for Jay Leno. Life doesn't give you do-overs. He made a decision to move on and it didn't work. Tough. I can't go back to my job that I quit. Game show contestants can't get another chance if they answer wrong on Jeopardy. Conan has more class and honor in his little finger than Leno can dream of having. I'm surprised at NBC for allowing the baby to get his bottle and return to 11:35. You go, Conan! Good things are coming to you!

January 15, 2010 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Radcliff

Conan has always been hilarious, but he should have kept his own show....as Jay Leno should have gotten Dave Letterman's old time slot at 1230 on NBC years ago. Letterman left and made too many promises that got them into trouble!

January 15, 2010 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Radcliff

The Tonight Show current "failure" is NBC's own fault because the got greedy and thought they would make millions off Jay Leno, which is partly true. But the show SHOULD have gone to Letterman in the first place; just ask Johnny Carson who he felt should host the show after he left!!

January 15, 2010 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Linus

with Conan, they'd have to pay me to watch.

There's a reason his viewership is 2.5 million vs. Jay at 5 million. Conan is good, but he's just not "classy" enough to be a Tonight Show host. He's too silly and a lot of times he just sort of falls flat or overacts things. He was great for a late night crowd, but the target audience in the 11:35 slot just doesn't support his type of show.

I like Conan for the most part, but Jay is a far better host for the Tonight Show.

January 15, 2010 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Amber Wilbur

way to be Conan, I'll buy it for $9.99....bring it to Milwaukee!

January 15, 2010 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  16. colleen

Jay, I really I think it is time to pass the torch.....

January 15, 2010 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Ellen

I feel sorry for him. I truly believe he loves the Tonight Show. Of course I'm a huge sucker.

January 15, 2010 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Ian Ziggler

Conan sucks. He is not a good fit for the tonight show his humor is crude.
    Honestly I hopes he leaves the network entirely.

January 15, 2010 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Kathy O

I wonder if Leno would be interested? Of course its going to be given to him so he probably won't. I'd definitely buy it also stated, "talented, honest and the more deserving host included." And no, I'm not talking about Jay.

January 15, 2010 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Kendra

I absolutely love Conan and hate that he's going through this with NBC. I was psyched last week when I received a confirmation email about my ticket reservations for his show on Feb 26th, but now I cant be excited knowing he could be gone within the next few weeks :(

January 15, 2010 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  21. CWK

Watched the 1st 10 minutes of Conan's first show. I knew immediately that The Tonight Show was dead and gone. He's just not funny and we don't watch. Sad, after watching for nearly 50 years. Like Jay but not watching that either. Sorry NBC, you hosed that one and it's all over.

January 15, 2010 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  22. G-Man

NBC made the mistake of giving the show to Leno in the first place now they seem bent to make a HUGE mistake by putting him back on. This isn't fair to Conan but he will survive because he is likeable and funny, I will be certain to watch his new show where ever it is.

January 15, 2010 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Dez H

Yeah, I flagged that for Best of Craigslist. That's awesome!
    I'm on Team Coco!
    I don't think Leno set out to be the Big Bad in this situation, but unfortunately, it's shaking out that way.

January 15, 2010 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Franky, Land of Lincoln

I've never been a big fan of entertainment, I mean, I do like to laugh and I like to laugh at dumb things because I'm crazy like that but is NBC really going through this plight? What the heck is going on over there?

I don't know, but I don't approve of "Authoritarian Personality" because is actually bad for society. Did you know is consider a disorder? Oh yes it is and sadly, you could use the evidence that everyone got.

But yeah, I wanna give entertainment a shot but na'h, they just ain't my taste.

January 15, 2010 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  25. andy

wubs me some Conan.... thought they should have replaced Jay with Conan about 10 years ago, he was even funnier then.

January 15, 2010 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  26. ctheslayer

What CNN failed to mention is his continuing show of class by asking that efforts and energy used to organize and drum up support for him be directed instead toward helping out earthquake-devastated Haiti. One of the few performers I have ever heard say "I'm fine. This is nothing compared to what is going on elsewhere in the world."

January 15, 2010 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  27. LBW

He once wrote for the Simpsons and when I found this out, I knew that I would always like him. I believe this- the closing of this door will definitely open an even greater one. He is too talented not to be appreciated by another network.

January 15, 2010 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
  28. franco

Brilliant ; truly the funniest guy on TV bar none. Not even Dave makes me laugh as much and I love Dave. Jay bow out gracefully while you have the chance.

January 15, 2010 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |