January 14th, 2010

'Idol' has hit with 'Pants on the Ground'

testing captions
testing captions

“American Idol” was all about the comedy Wednesday night.

Sure, there was talent found at the Atlanta auditions, but the highlight of the evening was someone who left the judges in stitches despite having no shot at the title.

A 62-year-old who goes by the name “General” Larry Platt sang an original composition titled “Pants on the Ground.” The lyrics – “Pants on the ground, pants on the ground. Looking like a fool with your pants on the ground” – had even guest judge Mary J. Blige wiping away tears of amusement.

Platt is well beyond the age limit for contestants, but I predict that “Pants on the Ground” will be the new “Tardy for the Party.”  The video of his performance is already a hit on YouTube.

And the General wasn’t the only one to amuse.

The winner of my “WTH Award” is Antonio “Skii Bo Ski” Wheeler from Orlando, FL, who auditioned in what appeared to be a bowling shirt with shiny, iron-on letters misspelling his moniker.

He made it through to Hollywood, but he’s going to have to lose his “I’m Skii Bo Ski baby” routine if he wants to be taken seriously.

Not as funny was 20-year-old Lamar Royal’s version of Seal’s “Kiss from a Rose” that was as painful to hear as it was to watch.

He quickly went from “Idol” hopeful to scary dude as he alternated between apparently trying to either intimidate the judges into sending him through by cursing them out or wow them with the opening “La, la, la, la, la, la” from the Stevie Wonder classic “Mon Cherie Amour” before security escorted him out.

The incident was rendered slightly amusing given that Royal’s audition came right after 25-year old police officer Bryan Walker who you half expected to see return to the room to place Royal in cuffs. Walker had a decided “Clay Aiken fake out” moment where his look didn’t at all match his soulful version of “Superstar.

1. jim Miller

Its about time some one told the worlds youth how damn stupid they look with their pants down around their knees! you tell em Gen.

January 17, 2010 at 8:54 am | Report abuse |
  2. Pam

my daughter and I were very excited when we heard MJB was guest hosting, we're both big fans.....i guess i should say WERE big fans....by the end of the night that wasn't the case any more.....i'm still stumped why she would portray herself that way on national television? does she not realize how many people were tuning in just to see HER? where oh where did you misplace your class mary?

January 16, 2010 at 6:54 am | Report abuse |
  3. Smit

Very funny! Love that he had the guts to do it!

January 16, 2010 at 12:26 am | Report abuse |
  4. copelli21

I cannot believe all the criticism of Mary's laughter.

Simon, Randy, Paula and even Kara have laughed at contestants....right in their face. So why is it so catastrophic that Mary was driven to laughter as well.

And don't front....the comedy of the first auditions is why many of us are still watching this show. We know we are at home laughing our asses off at some of these people...so GET OFF YOUR HIGH HORSES!

Royal was pure freakin' comedy with his LaLaLa's and cursing.

January 15, 2010 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
  5. ron b smoov

It's sad to see our youth submit themselves to such humility. What's sadder is that millions enjoy watching these insecure kids suffer. What's even worse is those who encourage them to be ridiculed. Such a shame that so many think that stardom is THEE answer to happiness. It's disheatening to see those kids crushed win the are eliminated. But there IS hope! You don't have to be a star to be a life saving surgeon or to volunteer to those in need or just put a smile on someone's face every day or help the elderly or visit a nursing home or read to small children. There are so many rewarding tasks that these kids can do that will benefit someone for the rest of their life. Fame and fortune are but for a fleeting moment.

January 15, 2010 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Denise

You people are talking about Mary J's Rudeness. Look this is a singing competition. Why do you think they post these episodes of the bad singing, for laughs. The problem is someone (their mom, Dad, friends, someone) should of been honest and told these people before they took their asses down to the competition that they "COULDN'T SING". Really people, get over it. It is hilarious!

January 15, 2010 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Kevin

This is somewhat of a tie-in to my T-shirt website http://www.getyourpantson.com We are all about sending a positive message. Check it out. Starting next month we are having a monthly modeling contest. Stay tuned!

January 15, 2010 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
  8. CLAUZIE

everyone get over yourselves. that's the idea of the audition for everyone otohave fun and a giggle. that's why they present the delusionals during this time where we can have some fun with serious giggles. Now if the judges were laughing during the performances of the top 20 then we can cry fowl. Until then you haters shut up and lets have some fun. REALLY. Get over your biasis. We spend our lives judging everyone unfairly to make ourselves feel better.

January 15, 2010 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
  9. SaJuan

I'm with some of you about Mary J Blige's behavior. I am more annoyed with her than I am with some of the acts that were obviously bad. But, she should realize, she wasn't ALWAYS famous, and it's a show on talent. Some have some don't. But she should be more sensitive to the fact you have to at least try. I have caught some of her performances on some music shows and her singing wasn't all that great at times either!

January 15, 2010 at 8:26 am | Report abuse |
  10. ag

Awesome

But watch dane's video also

its a better version
    Pants On The Ground -cover- Dane Ferguson

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAtMKuKdIbA&w=640&h=390]

January 15, 2010 at 7:43 am | Report abuse |
  11. Lizzy

Kara is a pathetic waste of space.... her comments are ridiculous and it's time for her to realize that she is not African American.

January 15, 2010 at 7:32 am | Report abuse |
  12. Reggie

Generally speaking Mary J. Blige can't sing.
    Listen to her live......IT'S A TRAIN WRECK.
    She's more about attitude and her look.
    In regards to her musicial talent, she has none.
    But she's ghetto fabulous from "the hood".
    So people of her ilk will buy her records.
    People of her ilk will support her, regardless.
    She represents..."the hood". The "hood" sucks.
    I'm Black, a pro musician, and NEVER lived in a "hood".
    Frankly I can't believe this woman still trys to make music.
    She's tone deaf, and could'nt carry a tune in a bucket.
    She doesn't have the musicial credibility to be a judge.
    Mary J. Blige: a sad commentary on the "hoods" taste in music.....

January 15, 2010 at 6:30 am | Report abuse |
  13. Susan

Here the thing, If I don't like you, I am not going to remember your name. The women that sat left to Randy. Good grief, somebody needs to have her remove. Since she came on board last season, I was sick to my stomach. Last night was the last time I will ever watch this show. Love Randy, Simon. And I miss Paula. But that other women is just plain fake to me. There is seriously something not right about her. She rude, and last season when she went up stage to sing, I thought you got to be kidding me, she can't even sing. Talk about changing my channel. I certaining did that night. So for all those who will still keep up on this show, enjoy. I had my fill.

January 15, 2010 at 3:14 am | Report abuse |
  14. Sherri

Denise Torres......

"I have not watched AI since David Archuleta was "screwed" over and that other clown who won AI and obviously has not really made a "dent" in his so-called "singing" career."

Uuuummmm, where have you been living for the past year? You DO know that David Cook went Platinum, don't you? Hasn't made a dent is his career? Uuuuuhhh........

January 15, 2010 at 12:32 am | Report abuse |
  15. Sherri

I thought that Mary J. Blige was extremely rude on Idol last night. Yes, we all know that Simon is rude, too. But I'm talking about a guest judge here. I heard her give maybe two good, useful comments to a couple of contestants. The rest of the time she was hiding her face laughing, or worse yet, laughing right IN someone's face. Really a turn off. Glad she's done for the season......

January 15, 2010 at 12:28 am | Report abuse |
  16. Dave

I am more annoyed at the people who go up there and think they have good voices and are utterly horrendous. They deserve to be treated with rudeness for wasting everyone's time.

January 14, 2010 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Elizabeth

MJB was extremely uncomfortable in her role as judge last night. SHe obviously does not know how to deal with the unexpected or people who do not meet her expectations. I felt bad for her as she was out of her element.

January 14, 2010 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
  18. JR

Oh Leave MJB alone...haven't any of you gotten the giggles????

January 14, 2010 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Idol Watcher

I thought the guest judge Mary was not good because she made it all about herself rather than contestants....called attention to herself and was puttoff-ish. Hope I never see her again. Totally unimpressed....

January 14, 2010 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse |
  20. flo

No comparison betweeen judges Victoria and Mary. Ms. Beckham is a class act with a lot of heart. Ms. Blige is a rude observer who laughs overtly at contestants and embarrasses them.

January 14, 2010 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
  21. suzy

American Idol jumped the shark. Yawn. They seem really desperate.

January 14, 2010 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Peter

Pants on the Ground will be a #1 hit! It will rival Stardust, Night & Day, and America the Beautiful in staying power. When is the Album due out?

January 14, 2010 at 8:29 pm | Report abuse |
  23. bonnie

How could Mary J. Blige keep from laughing? I sure couldn't if I was there. She didn't act disrespectful in any way. Randy always laughs. so what's the big deal. The General is so hilarious!

January 14, 2010 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
  24. robjh1

If you are a singer you can sing any where and anytime. Makes do difference if the room is crowded or empty.

January 14, 2010 at 7:14 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Mrs. Russell

I'm with VINCY FASHION PLATE I thought she was very unprofessional & rude. Granted the vast majority of the people could not sing but to laugh right in their face! that was just uncalled for!

January 14, 2010 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Dan

At first I thought he was an odd old man but I have since learned a lot about him. Larry Platt is a veteran of the 1960's civil rights movement and has been recognized by the Georgia state legislature and the city of Atlanta for his many accomplishments!! Good for you Mr. Platt!

January 14, 2010 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Leslie Stein

M Blige didn't add anything constructive. I don't understand why she is considered talented. Her singing voice is always offkey. She uses a lot of vocal histrionics to hide her singing limitations.

The show is getting predictable & boring. Simon is leaving a sinking ship.

January 14, 2010 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
  28. jo-jo

I was disappointed in MJB last night... she and Kara were rude!!! Those people who get up and try to sing and perform for those judges don't deserver to be ridiculed and laughed at, no matter how bad they are or how good they are!!!

What's going on with Amer. Idol this year? I'm so sad that Simon will be leaving after this season, and Ellen should NOT have been chosen as a judge, she doesn't know about music and singers...

this is crazy! It's really gone down the drain.........

January 14, 2010 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Shakes

Really...not a big deal. It is supposed to be amusing at this point in time. Mary J is just who she is and I would not have been able to keep my composure on some of those folks either.

Either watch or turn the channel..folks are too serious about stupid stuff than they are about reality...ummm, let's see how passionate you are about the people suffering in Haiti.

January 14, 2010 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
  30. tony

i lived in Atlanta and unfortunately i never heard of him, but if what you say about him is true( March with Martin Luther King at 16 and was a Vietnam Veteren ) He Deserved respect , i feel badly because i didn't no who he was. A man who Marched for his country and then served his country is man man i should know.
    General Larry Platt i would loved to have met you.

January 14, 2010 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
  31. MN matt

YES! Ryan,
    'immature and sophomoric' very good terms to describe the show in general- lets all remember these contestants all want to be the next Lady Gaga (can anyone even read that name and not smirk a little at its ridiculousness?) When the winners of a contest hope to compete in a market where top representatives' wardrobes regularly outshine their musical talents, I dont think we need to be too concerned about maturity or humility.

January 14, 2010 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Joe

Mary J was very rude and inappropriate. She herself is very talented, but she's not a good judge. I also hope they never invite her back to the show. I say, Bring on Ellen!

January 14, 2010 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Usher

The girl from Vonore, TN will go far I think, if she can stand the big city.

January 14, 2010 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Piedmont

Thought the guest judges thus far have been terrible. Mary J looked bored and Victoria needed a hardy meal. They got to do better. Simon needs to stop rolling his eyes and being a general butt.

January 14, 2010 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
  35. tony

" Pants on the ground" should be a hit. you know its what you really want to say yourself, but would prefer to " Stay out of it" or "if you can't say something nice" . MOST people think that pants past your bum are just stupid. That fashion statement left port a long time ago, it just looks ridiculous now. try getting a job with your under out for all to see, i know i would never hire you.

January 14, 2010 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Vegas

Mary J Blige was just rude, laughing too much, when it wasn't appropriate. I lost respect for her as a person. (Not to mention a judge.) Humbleness is best.

January 14, 2010 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
  37. ryan

"as for MJB if you people think that Idol requires 'professional' behavior of its panel of judges, perhaps you have never watched the show-
    particularly the early episodes of each season are completely laughable, and that is the function of these episodes
    MJB reacted like any reasonable person would have and frankly i applaud he honesty-"

No MN matt, honesty is one thing, if she provides criticism and is honest, great! MJB was just immature and sophomoric, just like Kara. Simon is rude, but at least he acts like a grown up...Most of the time...

January 14, 2010 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Me

Okay.. seriously? With the comments regarding "ya'll" versus "y'all"...It's not even an actual word, so who is to say how it should or should not be spelled.

January 14, 2010 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Arggg

The show is racist, but not against black people so much. Has an Asian ever made it to the top 24? What about Hispanic people? They might make it to the top two, but they never win. And they make up 40% of this country's population. Something wrong here?

Glenn, hopefully people aren't responding to the Haiti articles because they're sending money or flying over there to help out. It's not something I want to discuss too much; too tragic. But I did send money.

January 14, 2010 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Glenn, Laguna Woods, CA

How come there are so many more responses to the idol blog than there are responses to help for Haiti?

January 14, 2010 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  41. MN matt

January 14, 2010 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
  42. buddhist in LA

i agree with VINCY FASHION PLATE! mary j. blige was rude and SO undignified! i would never have expected that from her. seeing her last night and how cold and mean she was to the auditioners has really changed my opinion of her. you've got problems when victoria beckham shows you up in the manners department!

January 14, 2010 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Rachel

I loved the General..... even my 4 yr old son was cracking up!! Not in a mean way either – we just couldn't believe a 62 yr old man made that song up and danced the way he did!
    As for Mary J – I did NOT like how she acted on the show. I thought she was very immature and I was really surprised on her behavior.

January 14, 2010 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  44. beth

OMG, how could you not laugh sitting through some of those performances. MJB was only doing what I was doing at home...absolutely howling...especially at the "Pants on the Ground"...too funny.

January 14, 2010 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
  45. John Paul

Thank goodness someone encouraged America’s youth to pull their pants up! I understand fashion trends, but that one needs to go out with the polyester suits of the 70s. It looks ridiculous!

January 14, 2010 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Kathy

MJB was a display of extremely bad taste.

January 14, 2010 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Birdhaus

The people who are bad on the show, the ones the judges berated, know that they are bad – they are attention whores whose lives are so pitiful that they think that by embarrassing themselves on television, and by seeing themselves on TV – even if it is to make an fool of themselves – they feel some desperate shred of self-esteem. This is why I don't watch the audition rounds – I'll see the good singers in the final 36 or 24, and I don't have to watch losers whose lives are so pitiful that they must degrade themselves on TV.

January 14, 2010 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Snarfblat

I agree with Vincy. Mary J Blige was very rude and discourteous. I'm not quite sure how she became 'all that', but she certainly could have used a lesson in manners.

January 14, 2010 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Linda

MJB was extremely RUDE sat there like an ICE QUEEN!
    not good as a judge at all – Victoria B she was GREAT
    very classy!

January 14, 2010 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  50. C J Haywood

Mary J was alright they need to be embarassed so they will not waste anyone elses time with the nosense. These people know they cannot sing and a lot of their relatives and friends need to stop telling them that they have talent when they know damn well they don't.

January 14, 2010 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Trent

Wow, that dude's gonna be a star. He already has autotune remixes.

January 14, 2010 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Erika

I think Mary J's facial expressions probably reflected the sentiments of most people who were watching at home. Frankly, I don't blame her for being unamused by displays of utter nonsense.

January 14, 2010 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  53. ben

mary was rude she blows....now u losers can bash me, that will show you havelow iq

January 14, 2010 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Tucson Tonya

Mary J. Blige was the worst guest judge ever – she had no opinions and only mimicked what the others said. She was rude to people by laughing at them and her antics were stupid – guess she showed her true self.

January 14, 2010 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Mikey

Front and center, a banner with y'all mis-punctuated...

January 14, 2010 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  56. DoesItMatter

I will never watch another episode of American Idol as long as Ellen is a judge. I would rather have Porky the Pig on the show than I would her. She's probably the reason Simon is leaving. I know I would be.

January 14, 2010 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  57. dude

Mary J is trying to outdo Simon so she can get a job as his replacement.

January 14, 2010 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Donna

I didn't see it. Was Pants on the Ground finally someone pointing out how stupid the low slung jeans, crotch around the knees look is???

January 14, 2010 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Love to Laugh

In my living room, we all loved Mary J – we always laugh during the audition segments, and honestly, who doesn't – you just can't help it viewing some of the really awful "try-ers". When she lost it big time, we did, too. If I were up there judging, I'd lose it a lot of times. I lose it seeing the "people of Wal Mart pics. This is a tv reality show – lighten up, people. Can't wait for Ellen – very sorry to see Simon go – he's the hunk !!!!

January 14, 2010 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Chuy

I thought Mary J. Blige was hilarious. I felt for her - I would have had a tough time keeping a serious face with these tragic looking and sounding "singers."

January 14, 2010 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Bull

I think Mary J. just wanted to touch Kara.And on the subject of Kara,she's such a phony.

January 14, 2010 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Shelley

I love, love, love A.I. My daughter and I really bonded watching the show together. We had alot of laughs and looks back and forth at each other when it got strange. Hats off to everyone who gets that far!! Yes, we too loved 'Pants on the Ground'!!! The General is really in great shape, did you see him exercising at the end?!

January 14, 2010 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Annia

RE: FUN WITH FOOD. Sadly, I don't think that guy knows the meaning of the word HUMILITY, hence his unreasonable outburst.

January 14, 2010 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  64. SassySunshine

@ Midwest Fan...get over yourself...PLEASE....it is not a racial thing...it is a talent thing....fo sho!

January 14, 2010 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Annia

The guitar chick was so fake. She tried out last year, or was it year before for AGT, but Piers and Sharon didn't put her thru the audition round. Face it, we've already got one KELLIE PICKLER, we don't need another one. Kara was sooooooo full of herself. Mary tried hard, but I don't think she was prepared for whatever came through the door. So far, Victoria Adams was very impressive. She is very funny, underneath that cold exterior. Can't wait to see Shania's reaction to all the craziness. Hopefully they won't pull the Gokey (my heart bled for his loss, however) for some contestant, for sympathy votes, where it's clearly UNFAIR to other contestants who actually are gifted and talented, that have no sob stories to back them up. Let's play fair, ok, FOX?

January 14, 2010 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  66. jamie

the bridge jumper rocked she shows that anyone can do anything with there talents I am sorry yall but she rocked it with her southern soul all my money and votes so far are for her

January 14, 2010 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  67. SassySunshine

Mary J. Blige was WONDERFUL as was the other judges! This season is going to be interesting...to say the least.

January 14, 2010 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  68. wendy Kenney @23Kazoos

This song is dedicated to every mom in American with a teenage son who wears his "Pants on the Ground." Priceless

January 14, 2010 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  69. dianna

Cant watch it anymore!!!!! same stuff over and over. Waste of time. They should keep the original Simon, Paula and Randy. Who is Kara anyway. When she started yelling at that guy tuesday nite with the huge black glasses that's when I decided enoughs enough, he was annoying but come on, Kara act like you might have some class somewhere and just tell him he wasnt good enough..like some have said on here, I too believe its all staged. Lets bring back the fun old varity shows they had back in the day...I am sure there is Dean Martins' Carol Burnetts etc. out there!!! Get my drift? :)

January 14, 2010 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  70. RS1981

I was in the bathroom brushing my teeth, and my mom was watching American Idol, when I heard Pants on the Ground. I poked my head out and when the song was over I just laughed and shook my head. That guy Lamar though was really ignorant though. They kept trying to politely tell him that he wasn't going to go through this year, but if he kept working at it and wanted to try again another year he might have a better chance. I couldn't believe how he wouldn't listen, instead alternating songs, and then singing even louder as if it would sway the judges in his favor. He's just lucky Simon wasn't in there, because Simon would've torn him to shreds. He at least had the nicer judges talking to him.

January 14, 2010 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Caleb

I work in the public school system. They ought to play pants on the ground to let kids know how foolish it looks. I have been working in the school system for over 25 years and not many gangster wannabees have gone very far. Thank you general for saying what most of us have been feeling for a long time. Also, MJB was very rude last night. I agree with the person who stated she needs to look back at her roots. How would she have felt if someone treated her like that when she first got started.

January 14, 2010 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Bianca

Oh come on...Mary J. was just trying to keep it real. She's a super person and everybody who knows her loves her. I saw her on Chelsey Lately and she was just, very cute and charming. I like her!!

January 14, 2010 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Jail Lawsuit

Mary J Blige was rude and disrespectful. Of course, anyone who wears fur can go take a leap. She's a beast.

January 14, 2010 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  74. jetboy

It's "MY Cherie Amour"!

January 14, 2010 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  75. deb

I didn't think MJB was any more "rude" than Kara, Randy or Simon. This show is clearly rigged anyway and many (most) of the people auditioning just want their 5 minutes of fame and realize, or should by now, that they are setting themselves up for the ridicule. The show is fun and entertaining. For those who think they are letting in too many untalented people now vs previous years are delusional. They've ALWAYS let these nut people on the show! Nothing has changed in that department.

January 14, 2010 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Steve

American Idol is such a gimmick. There are only 2 outcomes from this contest: 1) Its rigged and winners are predetermined by some suit-wearing pencil-pushers, and the unwitting American audience is a bunch of morons, or 2) Votes are actually tallied and winners are chosen based on the votes of the people, in which case the American audience is still a bunch of morons. Seriously, this is what "talent" has become? This corrosive show is all about image and stardom, not about music. If you can carry a tune and do what corporate executives tell you to do, you're suddenly a musical genius? No wonder most other countries think Americans are just a bunch of vain, self-serving lowlife scum..... we parade ourselves as such all over television.

January 14, 2010 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Tammy

MJB wasn't rude...she was just doing what the rest of us were doing...laughing at some of the misguided folks that actually think they can sing. I had tears rolling down my face...Guitar Girl & the BFF's – come on!!! I'm from Alabama & sure wish that Anniston boy's mama had told him he can't sing. I felt sorry for him but if he's willing to go on national television when he so obviously doesn't have any talent then he better be willing to put up with whatever comes his way. And I loved the General...yea, I laughed but loved it anyway. Simon is right...it is going to become a hit. In fact, I believe it has become an overnight sensation.

January 14, 2010 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Jay S

American Idol is a waste of time.....

January 14, 2010 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Midwest fan

I too was disappointed and in disbelief at how the show made fun of the southern contestants...especially the kid who has had 3 brushes with death. If they were making fun of African American contestants who talk all ghetto ("fo sho") they'd be getting all kinds of heat from the public!

January 14, 2010 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  80. siren4song

I'll say it again. Kara has turned into a person I don't like. She has a big mouth, she's unkind, and sorry, but I'll take Paula over her AND any of the guest judges we've seen so far. Victoria Beckham and Mary J. Blige are weak vocalists. I saw MJB do a duet once with Stevie Wonder and I was SQUIRMING. I felt sorry for Stevie. Ellen can't even sing. What's with that?? I hope Randy goes with Simon to his new program.

January 14, 2010 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Johnny J

Idol was fun for me last night. Cute, funny, emotional......I had a front row seat at some pretty good TV.

January 14, 2010 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Phyl

I must have been watching a different show, because I only saw Mary J. lose it twice in the entire 1 1/2 hrs. Also, as far as Kara goes, she has written several hit songs for singers such as Katy Perry & Kelly Clarkson to name a couple. I also don't think it's rude to comment on one's voice whether they can sing or not. I mean come on, some of them were horribile. The General wa a hoot & yes, of course he was added for comic relief. Fantasia & Reuben may be good singers, but they are not American idols. That's not to say they aren't talented, just better fits for a different genre, such as stage, ( Fantasia), or Gospel music, (Reuben). They didn't make it into main stream music, because that is not their strength, just as Jennifer Hudson is doing well in movies etc, but is not meant to be an America Idol.

January 14, 2010 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Stefanie

For the love of Pete! If you are a southerner, you should know how to spell y'all. The ' goes where the letters are missing.

(I'm talking about the poster up there in the picture, for those who don't know.)

January 14, 2010 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
  84. pm

Mary J Blige was horrible. She acted like a 7 year old kid who just farted in church and couldnt keep from acting the fool. Idol can do better.

January 14, 2010 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  85. SoShae

I agree fancy. Mary B was a disappointment. Very judgemental and immature. Her perspectives were repetitive and boring. The other girl...who is she by the way?...She gets on my nerves too. She's obviously looking for a break and wants all eyes on her. Randy, always charming and in touch with his ability to find talent. Simon, cheers to him leaving. Bring on Ellen, Kat Williams, Randy, Kelly Rippa, and any other 40+ judges who appreciate fun, versitility, and are young spirited. This years American Idol SUX!! We look like "Prudent Idol".

January 14, 2010 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  86. Another Mary

Mary J. was almost as useless a judge as Victoria Beckham was. She hardly gave any feedback and acted rudely and immature toward the contestants. Even if they sound terrible, laughing in someone's face is just rude- obviously those people are just clueless or have some problems. "Pants on the Ground" was cute but won't be on itunes.

January 14, 2010 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Starr

I love MJB, but also thought she was a tad bit rude, because it does take nerve to sing in front of millions of people even though they are looking via camera, I felt sorry for that guy that MJB kept laughing at and the judge had to make up an excuse for her.

The GENERAL was a HIT... Loved that song.... It was very catchy... He will be a hit.

January 14, 2010 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Sean in Idaho

Mary J was rude and disrespectful. I guess you can tinkle on the little people when you bcome famous.

Posh was just weird looking, like some plastic dress model at macy's.

Neither had anything truly to offer.....keep trying Idol. Here are some suggestions: john mayer, elvis costello, tom petty. Oh, wait a minute, you make contestants pay their own way to Hollywood, so you probably wont pay any "real" talent to judge.

January 14, 2010 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  89. A.I. Correspondent

"General" Larry Platt...you are my hero. If my daughters boyfriends show up with their "pants on the ground", I go balistic. His song goes out to all those "gangsta wannabe's". Get a grip kids!! I hope the General's song gives him a lot of much deserved success. If that goof William Hung can make it...for god's sake...a respectable man like the General should sky rocket to fame.

January 14, 2010 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  90. jeny

i dont blame judges that laugh there ass off at people who cant sing... its the whole point of auditions. if everything was taken soo seriously then the beginnin of american idol would suck! cant hold laughter back!

January 14, 2010 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  91. Miss Angie

I loved "Pants on the Ground". I didn't think Mary was bad at all.

January 14, 2010 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  92. BJ

I expected more compassion and composure from Mary J. Blige. I was deeply disappointed in her. I agree that she knew what she was doing, she was able to indentify good talents when she saw them, but here demeanor was deplorable.
    She should opt for in-season coaching instead of the selection thing. It certainly did not help her image … at least to me.

January 14, 2010 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  93. Daniel Boni

Saw it last night, none of the guest judges were that great. Until Neil patrick Harris is the guest judge! That is going to be legend-wait for it...-DARY! Hope he stays true to the bro code.

Also, how do you not like Ellen Degeneres? She's just too likable. She;s gonna be a great judge.

Also, much love to Conan who really needs to get his ass over to FOX where they'll treat him with the love and respect he deserves.

January 14, 2010 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  94. Help

susancool...Wasting time! The show puts the no talents their ON PURPOSE!!!! She knows it, we know it...work it out...they're all fake!

January 14, 2010 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  95. Tim

V Becks should replace Ellen!

January 14, 2010 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  96. Stefani

I just watched it on youtube. Sooo funny. "Looking like a fool with your pants on the ground."

January 14, 2010 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  97. Holly

That, "Pants" guy, "General" Larry Platt is a local Atlanta hero who marched with Martin Luther King at age 16, it's sad to see some people refer to him as "some old man". He is very well known in the area and even has a day named for him. I hope his national fame can help bring light to a histoical event that more young people should pay closer attention to and respect.

January 14, 2010 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Bawb

They only show you the very worst and the very best. What they don't show you is the 100s (thousands?) of really good, perfectly fine, quality singers who don't make it.

And the whole audition process is for the camera only. It doesn't really work that way. Not everyone who shows up actually gets in front of the judges. Do you really think they watch 10s of 1,000s people sing in one or two days? They are weeded out by preliminary screening panels.

They gave 25 people a ticket to Hollywood in Atlanta. You'd really hate the show and the judges if you were to see and hear the auditions of singers 26-100. Who didn't make it. So they only show you the freaks. So you only get to compare the ones they chose to the very worst.

January 14, 2010 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  99. Michigan

I agree. Mary J. Blige was absolutely disrepectful toward those who dared audition in front of several people, including celebrities. How dare she make a person feel that way! I was watching with my children and showed them how rude and just plain mean she was toward those people. Disappointed in someone of her public status.

January 14, 2010 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  100. SJ

American Idol ran it's course after the 1st season. It is time to put this old dog down, the freaking rednecks on that audition last night MY GOD, was anyone else thinking DELIVERANCE?? Sadly I was stuck watching this because I was not in control of the TV where were at, usually I can find 10,000 other things to do, including self surgery to get away from watching such a waste of broadcast time.

January 14, 2010 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  101. Ohio

I have really had to bite my tongue and not get too upset at the judges being rude, but I have to say, and I told my 13 year old daughter this – I was very shocked to see that an artist like Mary J. Blige would act so rude like the judges. Of all people – a performer – she should have a heart. I have learned a lot this week – Victoria Beckham has a nice personality and Mary J. Blige does not.

January 14, 2010 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  102. BelleDec

So from what I have gathered from reading these posts is that it was not okay for Mary J. Blige to actually attempt to hide her laughter/embarassment for contestants, but when Randy and Kara don't even attempt to shield their faces 99% of the time, that is okay?

January 14, 2010 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  103. bearbull

I also found Mary J. Bliges antics to be of very bad taste. I feel bad for the contestants who she disrespected.

January 14, 2010 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  104. imhisgyrl

Pants on the Ground was a hit! MJB was ok, this was the first time I have ever seen her show some personality. Dude that had to be escorted out was off the chain!!!! I was like wtf??? You have to throw some crazy people in there to keep the viewers watching, if not, its not interesting. The barefoot, bridge jumper was fairly good. Don't think she will make it far in the competitions simply because of her lack of stage presence. Guitar girl was good too, but that get-up has to GO!! Until next week.......LA, LA, LA, LA, LA, LA

January 14, 2010 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  105. CatWoman

Skiboski reminded me of Wanda Sikes' character in Pootie Tang

January 14, 2010 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  106. FunWithFood

General was funny, The guy that got escorted out was scary and he even said beforehand he'd listen to what the judges had to say... Liar!!! Mary at least kept her cool and said he needed humility which was right... better than Paula who would have found some fashion accessory to like and probably STILL would have called him a nice person.. I thought the Bridge Jumper was not in the right show.. she's like the Coal Miner's Daughter and I don't think she's going to feel comfortable with all the other personalities when it comes time to mingle at hollywood land.

January 14, 2010 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  107. Bama H.

Ever wonder how an already established performer would fare in front of the judging staff of American Idol? Unknown Hinson? Leon Russel? Joe Cocker? Mojo Nixon?

The judges are looking for a specific stereotypical personna. They want the "Back Street Boy" look and the same old tired female shtick that, like so much cholersterol, is clogging our music industry arteries with AM radio garbage junk music. Give me David Byrne anyday over the winners this show has produced. Imagine David Byrne in front of these clown judges with his gawky looks and unnusual voice yet Talking Heads has gone platinum and gold more times than most. It's a show. Some watch it for the idiots who fail. Some watch it for the real talent. Some watch it to hear how nasty Simon is gonna get.

January 14, 2010 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  108. JC Key

I loved the show last night! And I disagree with some of you about Mary J...I thought she was a great judge. I was laughing everytime she was.

January 14, 2010 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  109. Susansocal

Loved Mary J. Blige! She was very truthful and didn't like being disrespected with those who had no talent wasting her or our time. I am very happy that Paula is gone – Kara does a great honest job like Simon. I am not looking forward to Ellen joining the judging. Posh was useless.

January 14, 2010 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  110. Pam

Hello – its TV people – the producers put through bad singers because they KNOW it will make good TV. And since AI has been on for 9 years anyone with a brian or even if they don't have a brain is either looking for thier angle and 30 seconds of fame or is truely delusional on thier ability and talent. The judges are doing 2 things – 1 – creating good television so WE will all keep watching or 2 – for someone who is really delusional – telling them the truth hopefully without being too cruel so they will stop looking for fame where they clearly won't find it.

January 14, 2010 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  111. Mary

I'm guessing we will be seeing the General at the Finale. That was pretty entertaining. That is great they let him through to perform for us. It left me feeling good !!

January 14, 2010 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  112. JC

This is the first season that I have started to get bored watching these auditions. I stopped the first night after about 15-20 minutes and only lasted about 30 minutes into last night. I doubt I will watch any more episodes until they get beyond Hollywood Week...assuming I develop any interest in watching it. I like Ellen, but I doubt listening to a comedian judge singers will be very interesting.

January 14, 2010 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  113. Diva

I have been singing this song since I saw it last night. I have even made up my own dance, and trust me if you could see it you would laugh. I think I may actually have to Youtube it......it could be the next "Single Ladies" – I swear! Good for Idol for showing off some bad but good talent in one guy!

January 14, 2010 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  114. Ellen Alonzo

I sincerely hope that "General" Larry Platt gets all the credit (and monetary recognition) from any publication of his song "Pants On The Ground"! Wouldn't it just be like typical record producers to "stiff" him?!

January 14, 2010 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  115. J.C.

Mary J showed absolutely no class yesterday. It goes to show that having money doesn't mean you have class. If you can't control yourself, then don't go on the show. Yes , some of them are really bad, but you are entitled to pursue your dream. And lets face it, more than half of them shown yesterday, you know they should never get put through because they can't get out of the next round, especially when the judges say that.

January 14, 2010 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  116. Joe

I thought that Mary J was a waste. She added no value. Couldn't speak proper english and had no insight to the performers at all. Its a good thing that someone writes her songs for her... Her only comment yesterday was "it was dope" in an effort to say that a performance was good. Most of the show she was hiding her face laughing... She actually made me miss Paula.

January 14, 2010 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  117. dbrow

I concur with this season being a bit boring. It needed the refreshing laughter General Platt. Pants on the ground is a hit with me. We all know he's telling the truth. We just had not heard it sang that way. This guy needs to be commended. Great Job.

January 14, 2010 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  118. Grown up

Do you think that the Generals song "pants on the ground" was aimed at the fashion of the youth these days?

January 14, 2010 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  119. momof3

don't like Mary J Blige!!!

January 14, 2010 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  120. KitttyB

I watch the show ONLY to see the people who cannot sing. It is so not that serious; the show is rigged anyway. American Idol is for entertainment purposes, and I am entertained by the non-singing contestants the first couple of weeks. When the show gets serious, racism kick in, not only with the show's producers, but also with the viewers. Pants on the ground is a hit!

January 14, 2010 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  121. ryan

Mary J Blige was bad, but that Kara is annoying like that every time. She acts like she's 16. And who is she anyway? Pants on the ground was great! I hope the bridge jumper keeps going. What can I say, she is very raw, but has some natural talent. She should look into getting those teeth whitened though.

The girl from Winner South Dakota has my vote. My 9 year old son and I were there last fall on a pheasant hunt. It's a town of about 3,000 people.

January 14, 2010 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  122. joe

Last night was funny. Mary at moment was way off on her comments but she made me laugh a few times. Thats what the auditions are for. To let people know how funny it is to think they know how to sing. LOVE IT! And have you guys notice how Kara is getting to do most of the talking and taking the lead as the lead judge? Simon most of the time is chilling back like Randy. I still think it's a great show.

January 14, 2010 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  123. Laurin

Before people start posting slams on AI winners and other contestants they need to Google them or go to Wikipedia so they know what they are talking about.

The y'all in the pic isn't mis-spelled it has incorrect puntuation... Y'ALL

January 14, 2010 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  124. Doug

Mary J. Blige's attempt at being an Idol judge was a disaster. She is extremely unprofessional and her actions were comparable to that of a first grader. Very bad choice for guest judge.

January 14, 2010 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  125. Cindy

I thought the show was hilarious and absolutely loved the General!

To Denise Torres-Vazquez: get over it dear; that "clown" who won season 7 went platinum several times.

January 14, 2010 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  126. Scott

always nice to see some ignorant dolt misspell "Y'all"...

January 14, 2010 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  127. Laurin

Tom, in regards to you post " January 14th, 2010 12:19 pm ET

I dint watch this show but american idol is stupid sense n-e 1 knows paula was da bomb. ellen sux. this show is so raceist neway. where is ruben n fantasian now?"

Ruben AND Fantasia have received awards, number ones, and done some acting. Fantasia was even in Color Purple on Broadway.... Google them!!

January 14, 2010 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  128. Walrusgajoob!

Mary J. Blige was awesome. Great sense of humor. Actual, constructive comments. And I think she came to terms with how scary being a judge on this scale can be, once a freak actually "freaks out."

January 14, 2010 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  129. Jason B.

First off, I don't watch Idol. Way too painful on the ears and I get sick of Randy dotting on every other singer.

But could we PLEASE give some sort of legitimacy to the show? Why are people that are obviously unqualified allowed to go to the judges? You know the judges don't see each of those thousands of people. Force the producers to cut out the worst singers and those that don't hit age requirements. And could we please cut down the length of the show? The never-ending commercials are too much. Even Seacrest has started rolling his eyes during the competition.

January 14, 2010 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  130. Maria

I hope he makes it as big as William Hung did!!

Go General Go !!!!

January 14, 2010 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  131. Denise Torres-Vazquez

I have not watched AI since David Archuleta was "screwed" over and that other clown who won AI and obviously has not really made a "dent" in his so-called "singing" career. However, when I read that Ellen De Generes would fill in for Paula, I took an interest in watching the show again. Hands down, the "Singing Policeman" was amazing and let's not forget "Grandpa" with his original tune, "Pants on the Ground". Mary J Blige is an artist (singer, ya know) so her comments were accurate and right on point. I do love Simon 'cause he can be charismatic and then a real bi-atch – but he still means well. I wish Paula was back though 'cause the 2 had wonderful chemistry! The next time AI allows some crazed singer to audition GET SECURITY! That fellow who would not stop singing and began cursing was NUTS... they should have escorted him out asking the "Singing Policeman" to intervene! Looking forward to next week's auditions!

January 14, 2010 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  132. Phyllis inMobile

I think Mary did a good job, STOP HATING (walk in my shoes). As for Ellen she knows nothing about the music business a bad choice. The General was great, I would buy that song. Thank you General what you said is what I was thinking (they look like a fool)!

January 14, 2010 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  133. terri

What is happening to this show? A few years ago, it was GOOD and they had people on there to try out with REAL talent. Now it seems as though they just let anyone and everyone try out, whether they can sing or not! WHY?
    It's a waste of our time (the viewers) and a waste of time for the judges too.
    Kara HAS to go. She's weird! She's not very nice sometimes either. And I didn't like Mary J. last night, that isn't nice to laugh at the people who are trying out. SIMON STAY, please. We need you on this show.
    Don't bother having Ellen on there, she knows nothing about singing or songs.

January 14, 2010 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  134. eb

anyone notice that "y'all" is misspelled in the photo?

January 14, 2010 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  135. jo-jo

I didn't like how Mary J. Blige was laughing at the different contestants, that was RUDE!!! She should remember back to the days of when she wasn't "rich & famous" and was just starting out.

AND why is the world do the producers of A.I. let these stupid people who CAN'T sing, even get on there to try out??? AND if the age limit is 28, then why did they let that 62 yr. old man sing his PANTS song? All that is set up, just to get more viewers.
    AND why do the cameras follow those contestants out the building and out on to the streets, when they are cussing and saying very inappropriate things and flipping off the camera?!?!? It's really disgusting. I think AI is going down hilll........... for sure.
    Once Simon leaves, it won't even be worth watching.

KARA, RANDY AND ELLEN???????? yuck!

January 14, 2010 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  136. Joe C

Come on people – lighten up. This was funny and harmelss.

January 14, 2010 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  137. jose

Wake me up when they get to the final 6.

January 14, 2010 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  138. Ken

Contestant age limits are an intimidation tactic. Notice that the British version has no such limitations. Americans are being herded like cattle with this show, and sold a bill of goods. It's no wonder that the "winners" are already compromised by the end of the show.

January 14, 2010 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  139. padrone

A complete waste of time.

January 14, 2010 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  140. Darrell

Mary J. Blige was laughter was fake, she was doing it for attention, she can sing, that's it, should not be in the public speaking, acting etc....just get on a stage and sing, don't speak.

January 14, 2010 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  141. kim

Let's not talk about the judges for a moment. Are some of the artist's (the contestants) think they can really sing, or they so deaf not to know they can't? Are they in it for the fifteen minutes of shame, fame and blame? Really like American Idol, but, 'cmon, I think the viewers like to see real talent and hope this season will be worth watching. Paula will be missed, and if Simon leaves next season, will Fox lose it's viewers?

January 14, 2010 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  142. Friday

She spelled "y'all" wrong. That irritates me for some reason.

January 14, 2010 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  143. Mary J Fan

Mary J. knows better than anyone what it feels like to be disrespected especially when it comes to being judged for her talent. She IS the bomb, no doubt about that. However, she should have held to a higher standard than Simon. Without Idol, Simon is nothing but Mary J. is still a Queen and she's still the bomb. I would have much rather seen her be more respectful to the people auditioning though, even if they were trifling. Mary, you ARE the bomb baby and you didn't do all that bad like some are saying on here!! Just be aware that a LOT of people truly value your opinion and advice. So for that, you should choose EVERY criticism you give and interaction you have a little more carefully. As someone whose been there, your words truly do matter girl, so use them carefully.

January 14, 2010 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  144. Nancy

I watched Mary J. Blige on Extreme Home Makeover where she became "real" to me. Her compassion and humble demeanor was so touching. Her song with Andrea Bocelli "What Child is This" this Christmas, was so moving it made me cry. When I watched her on American Idol last night, laughing, belittling, and acting beyond childish...I was horrified! I am absolutely disgusted with her behavior and am grateful she is not a permanent fixture on Idol.
    Did you forget where and what you started from Mary J? Shame on you!

January 14, 2010 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  145. Thanh

This is also case in point why a lot of Americans can't get jobs, even though there are plenty of jobs available. Look on craigslist.. They're simply not as talented as they think they are, and experienced hiring managers can see through all the crap. Some of the auditions were ridiculously bad. They couldn't even sing solfege (do re mi fa so la ti do), let alone remember what the syllables were.

These people need to listen to recordings of themselves, because what you hear in your head while singing is not how it actually sounds.

January 14, 2010 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  146. Al

I love it when some one can make me laugh.I could not stop laughing when THE GENERAL got on stage last night on American Idol.
    My kids went to bed singing "PANTS ON THE GROUND AND WOKE UP SINGING THE SAME SONG IN THE MORNING"
    God bless this guy.

January 14, 2010 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  147. Thanh

MJB was cool last night. People need to get real, if you're going to come and audition, you had better be good, because it's an insult to all the people who worked hard and came prepared.

MJB actually brought credibility to the judging table, someone who has worked her way to the top, and it was not easy. This was before reality TV and the internet. Talent had to be discovered and developed.

January 14, 2010 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  148. M

Yes, it takes a lot of nerve to sing in a room full of people you don't know, but that's the nature of being a performer – you will always be singing in front of strangers. On that note, Pants on the Ground was nothing short of awesome.

January 14, 2010 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  149. Shelly from Georgia

I was excited to watch American Idol last night, since Atlanta was shown-being born and raised in Georgia. I am offended in the way that the show depicted the Southern Contestants. Yes, I talk Southern but I am a well educated Southern Woman, and I am not alone here in Georgia.

January 14, 2010 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  150. foofur2k

It's "Ma Cherie Amour".

January 14, 2010 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  151. Rob

I think as the years have gone on, ALL of the judges have become less and less professional; lets not single out Mary J. When she was laughing at contestants, they usually deserved it because they were so awful and so obviously delusional. Some of these people who claim their friends encourage them and say they are talented need to find some new friends.

January 14, 2010 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
  152. Tina

Racist?? Are you serious?? They would never have chosen them as contestants if they were racist. The fact that they are nowhere now is because the public didn't buy records. I liked Ruben, but Fantasia was TERRIBLE. All Paula did was wave her arms in the air and rant on like a fool.

There have been some amazing singers so far and I loved pants on the ground. Musical genious.

January 14, 2010 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  153. Kristal

This is for Tom Ruben has a really nice new CD out now on an independent lable I believe. and Fantasia is working on her new CD now.

January 14, 2010 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
  154. Michele

Could any of you sit there and listen to 300 people who need to find a new dream screech at you all day without losing it just a little bit? I couldn't. People who audition for Idol know what to expect and 98% of them go in there with the sole intention of being insulted by Simon on TV. 1% can sing and the other 1% are delusional and exploited by the producers.

January 14, 2010 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
  155. Steph

Mary J. Blige was very rude to some of the contestants, but so were the other judges. I like American Idol, but I did take offense to watch 4 adults laugh and publicly make fun of people. It is a contest with judges so I understand even if Simon tells them they were terrible, but to sit there and make fun of and laugh at people when they are trying to audition is terrible. We try to teach our children to treat others with respect and then they show that behavior on television.

January 14, 2010 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  156. Kristal

First, Mary J. was fine is was glad to see her show some personality she was in no way rude. Dont get me wrong I know it takes alot to sing in front of many that you dont no especially if their pros. But if You can not sing, the THE TRUTH IS THE TRUTH,(someone will laugh, frown, leave or something)lol, I also know that I can only sing a little and would never put myself through that so if you willing to go through an audition be ready for anything, especially a NO! and just because you can sing does not make you a STAR! so why get mad if someone expresses how they feel when your singing or whatever your so called talent may be there will always be someone in this world who doesnt like something about you.
    So let it be!

January 14, 2010 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  157. Joe

music is a tough business if you can't take someones harsh words for your total suckage then you shouldn't be persueing a career in music. Mary was awesome.

January 14, 2010 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
  158. Tom

January 14, 2010 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  159. JohnL

Mary J was great, much better than Posh Spice. I dont see how it is rude, it is rude to waste these peoples time with no-talent singing.

January 14, 2010 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  160. Tal

They were all rude – including Mary J Blige. The night before the only one with any class was Victoria. The rest of them make faces and say stupid rude things to people who have waited in line for hours to step in front of them. This show really disgusts me. So sad that Ellen is sinking to a level that she should not be in by joining this cast.

January 14, 2010 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  161. Tara

Not impressed with Mary J. Blige. She did a horrible job. Had no idea what she was doing.

January 14, 2010 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  162. Nina

Like all "reality" tv programs–most north americans of limited intelligence watch–this one is one of the worst–I've seen a partial episode once and the cruelty is horrific. Why not turn the electric nipple off once and awhile and help your kids with their homework or read a book!

January 14, 2010 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  163. demee

Mary J. Blige was the shit last night big ups to all her HATERS!!!!!!!!!!

January 14, 2010 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  164. Ruth

We finally saw the camera men/security men off to Kara's right. She has more eye contact with them than her fellow judges. It is very distracting to see her constantly looking off to the right as though they are in on the comments.

January 14, 2010 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  165. BigMo

Mary J blige ghetto ass, Looking like a hood rat!

January 14, 2010 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  166. Kathy

Mary J. Blige was very rude to some of the contestants. It takes alot of nerve to sing in a room full of people that you don't know. I was not impressed with her.

January 14, 2010 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  167. David

Mary J was funny. I liked her. I thought the Skii Bo Ski was soo annoying. How did they put him through? he wont make past Hollywood. Neither with the Bridge Jumper or the guitar chick. The cop was really good though.

January 14, 2010 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  168. Sharita

American Idol is a fantastic brand!! I dont care what anyone says Mary couldnt contain herself and I couldnt either. They were funny and thats fact!! Pants on the ground is the bomb!

January 14, 2010 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  169. Sue

American Idol is getting old.

January 14, 2010 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
  170. askwhy

I agree! Idol was a hoot last night but I also found exception with Mary J Blige's disrespect and constant laughter at inappropriate times. I thought she was much worse than Simon even with her rudeness to the contestants with her actions. I love her as an artist but she was not right for this. She does know talent but she isn't a judge. Until she learns composure then she needs to be left off of the panel as she was NOT professional for most of the show.

January 14, 2010 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
  171. E

The General was hilarious!!! Vincy get a life! Mary was fantastic. She knows talent when she hears it. True professional !

January 14, 2010 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  172. frogmann

Idol had been just a tad boring to watch until The General made his appearance.

January 14, 2010 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  173. lookin like a fool

Post a video PLEASE!!!! It was so Funnt!

January 14, 2010 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
  174. VINCY FASHION PLATE

I looked at idol last night and I thought Mary J Bligh was very disgusting with all her antics I hope they never invite her back as a Judge,

January 14, 2010 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |