January 14th, 2010

'Ghostbusters 3' gets go-ahead

testing captions
testing captions

Phone technology has certainly changed since “Ghostbusters” was released in 1984, but apparently they’re still the boys to call.

Director Ivan Reitman confirmed to MTV this week that he will direct a third installment in the franchise and that he hopes to start filming within the next year.

Speculation around the return of the ghost-killing buddy flick made famous by Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, Harold Ramis and Sigourney Weaver has been swirling for the past year.

Reitman also confirmed that a draft of the new movie has been submitted by  "Year One" writers Lee Eisenberg and Gene Stupnitsky and that a second draft is currently in the works.

Post by: ,
Filed under: movies

Next entry »
  1. Bryan

First of all, I'm curious about how MY picture ended up being used for this article. I'm not complaining but wow, I'm just a fan. Did they run out of stock photos from the movie Ghostbusters to use?

Second, I actually agree with BOTH camps. Sure I'd love to see a sequel but only if it's done right. Statistically speaking, most sequels are awful. Ghostbusters 2 lacked the heart and soul of the first movie. I've seen a script once purported to be Dan's original GB3 script ( where the Ghostbusters go to hell ) and it felt flat to me; worse than GB2 if you can believe it. My point being, while I love the Aykroyd/Ramis team of writing on this, their style could be so 80's that it doesn't apply to today's version of movie-making. It would feel like an 80's movie being made in the 2010's, and that isn't "cool", that's dated. Give sequels a chance. Die Hard was great, Die Hard 2 was so-so, but Die Hard 3 made up for it big time. Raider of the Lost Ark = great, the second movie got lukewarm reception, and the third made up for it. ( and to the credit of those against a modern day sequel, look what happened to the 4th movie. )

I would welcome new writing talent. I've felt many Star Wars novels were far better than the most recent Star Wars trilogy that Lucas wrote. If you've felt the same about Star Wars then leave a little room for new writers to do their work on GB3. ( Though I agree the Stupnitsky/Eisenberg team has yet to prove themselves to me. ) Personally I've love to see a script that features new guys ( preferably unknowns ) as well as the old guys; a sort of passing of the guard. Someone once mentioned that the movie could be done well if written by someone you would never have even considered like the Broken Lizard team or better yet the Simon Pegg / Nick Frost / Edgar Wright team. Now THERE'S a team that can both pay homage as well as make it their own.

January 17, 2010 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  2. Jroc

It could be interesting. GB2 wasn't as good as the 1st one by far, but with the right story/script this could be awesome. Same 4 'busters do need to be back.

January 15, 2010 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
  3. Alisson

Two words (and a number)...

Blues Brothers 2000

Need more be said?

January 15, 2010 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
  4. phearis

Hey..... I've read all of the negative comments but if they follow the established storyline video game that was recently released, GB3 is going to be pretty good. I, for one, can't wait for it. It's a little piece of my childhood coming back. ^_^

January 15, 2010 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
  5. Joel T.

Hey,

Lets see a remake of the classic KISS meets the phantom of the park!!! LOL!!!

January 15, 2010 at 9:24 am | Report abuse |
  6. Binghamton Area Metalfest

"Ghostbusters 2 was horrible."

What?!?

How can you not like the killer dialog like, "In the castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood..." Priceless!

January 15, 2010 at 8:45 am | Report abuse |
  7. lee

It seems hollywood is running out of good ideas.Ghostbusters was ok in its time now its time to move on.

January 15, 2010 at 7:28 am | Report abuse |
  8. Matt

Why not? Lucas Film up Ghostbusters 1 & 2, make a killing on re-releases and merchandise, then put the screws to us with a gouge out your eyes terrible #3!

January 15, 2010 at 12:06 am | Report abuse |
  9. Julie

OMG Hi-C Ecto cooler! Yes bring it back!

January 14, 2010 at 10:33 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Tim

Ghostbusters 2 was horrible. Why make ANOTHER film? The original Ghostbusters was such a great movie... But get a NEW idea, already!

January 14, 2010 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Jessica*

@ Sam – I totally saw that for The A Team and I'm SO excited!! I love that Rampage Jackson is going to be BA Baracus! That's so funny! I hope he does a good job!

@ Track – Hi-C Ecto Cooler was the best! My mom used to send me to school with it!! haha

Could you imagine all these like 60 year old Ghostbusters? !! That would be great! With a walker and stuff....hahaha

No really, it would be.

January 14, 2010 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Jonathan

And Sigourney Weaver Rules!

January 14, 2010 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Jonathan

Please no. . . . . . this is absurd. Is James Cameron the only person in Hollywood with any vision left???
    Everything else is regurgitated crap.

January 14, 2010 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Adam

I'm optimistic, mostly because Lee Eisenberg and Gene Stupnitsky are terrible writers. Year One was atrocious and the Office hasn't been funny since season 2.

January 14, 2010 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Ernest Borgnine

Hey, what about a sequel to Marty? I'd cast Angeline Jolie as Clara.

January 14, 2010 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
  16. JUG

@conando:
    "What's next a new gremlins movie?"

I think you are on to somethng.

January 14, 2010 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
  17. conando

Really tho.. hollywood is so desperate they are making sequels to movies made 20+ years ago..? What's next a new gremlins movie?

January 14, 2010 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Tim James

New director + new cast = big hit. As is, = big flop.

January 14, 2010 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Track

Bring back Hi-C Ecto Cooler

January 14, 2010 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Nick Marino

Marilyn was the #$%& in the first two G-Busters movies. good call, Criss. let her R.I.P. instead of ruining her classic films.

January 14, 2010 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Oscar

What about the Twinkie?

January 14, 2010 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Dan

Stay Puft Marshmallow Man. Enough said.

January 14, 2010 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  23. bubba

Sigourney hasn't had a hit in a while? She is in Avatar.

January 14, 2010 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Angie

yes bring back the original busters and I will be happy. Yeaaa, I'm back in the 80's!!
    Diva – ouch!!

January 14, 2010 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Diva

I think this will only work if it's the original busters. I mean, look how bad the Karate Kid movie is shaking out – ouch! C'mon Sigourney – you haven't had a hit in a while.....DO IT!

January 14, 2010 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Sam

Given the fact that "Year One" wasn't funny in the least it doesn't bode well for Ghostbusters 3. If it doesn't have the original cast in it in some role I'll skip it entirely and I love the genre.

On a similar note. Has anyone seen the trailer for "The A-team"? Looks like it has possiblities. Well, untill I saw that Liam Neeson will be playing Hannibal. Say it aint so!!

January 14, 2010 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Cameron

@Criss I can see why Marilyn Monroe is crying in her grave considering how much she had to do with the original 2 movies. If I'm not mistaken she wrote, directed and starred in both movies. Who can forget the classic scene with her singing happy birthday to the Sta-Puft Marshmaollow Man?

Yes. I agree she must be totally upset.

January 14, 2010 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Mad Mike - Shinglehouse, PA

Are you kidding me Criss? Seriously, stop being such a yuppie and let me enjoy this icon of my teenage years. This is awesome news! Let's just hope they don't kill it with "over the top" CGI like they did with Incredible Hulk. Or cheese it up with crappy actors like Spiderman...or Transformers...or Star Wars, etc, etc, etc...

January 14, 2010 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Thos

Sigourney Weaver let slip while promoting Avatar in the UK that Bill Murry's character might be a ghost in the film.

January 14, 2010 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Tim

This movie will only succeed if you can scrounge up the original perfectly casted crew. New funny guys will not be as successful in this day and age as Bill, Dan, Harold and Ernie were back in the 80s. Of course, that's my opinion...and since my 4-year old loves Ghostbusters I and II....I'll probably see it anyways.

January 14, 2010 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  31. LAYLAW

I am so excited by this newest development. OMG- I love the GHOSTBUSTERS Movies... I hope that the original cast returns and doesn't do some BEUWOLF CGI Magic and come back as the real deal....

SUPER EXCITED!

January 14, 2010 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Criss

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE END THIS HORROR HOLLYWOOD NEEDS NEW TALENT! i think i can hear marilyn monroe crying in her grave right now.

January 14, 2010 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |