January 13th, 2010

Michael C. Hall being treated for cancer

testing captions
testing captions

Michael C. Hall, who stars as the serial killer protagonist of "Dexter," has been diagnosed with Hodgkin’s lymphoma but is on the road to recovery, his representative confirmed to CNN Wednesday.

"I feel fortunate to have been diagnosed with an imminently treatable and curable condition,” Hall, 38, said in a statement. “I thank my doctors and nurses for their expertise and care."

Hall rose to fame on the HBO series “Six Feet Under,” in which he played the deep-in-the-closet funeral director David Fisher. After a five-season run Hall then took on another character with a few skeletons, playing the title role of a police blood splatter expert-cum-serial killer in the hit Showtime series, “Dexter.”

The diagnosis isn’t slowing Hall down at all. The actor plans to attend both the Golden Globes and the SAG Awards with his wife, Jennifer Carpenter, and will begin filming the fifth season of “Dexter” later in the year.

1. Build in Ukraine

I like the helpful info you provide to your articles. I'll bookmark your blog and check again right here frequently. I'm reasonably sure I'll learn plenty of new stuff right here! Best of luck for the next!

February 9, 2013 at 1:51 am | Report abuse |
  2. Brendan Phoenix

I'm glad the doctors were able to locate and treat the cancer before it spread and developed into something fatal. I hope it stays away and won't creep back into your life. Your role as Dexter is phenomenal and powerfully charged. No one can take your place as Dexter. You are what makes the show so great! I wish the best for you, for that's all I can do on the other side of this computer.

January 18, 2010 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Seth Jones

Glad to hear he is doing well, if Dexter was gone that would suck!

January 18, 2010 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
  4. Laura

Michael, I wish you a speedy and full recovery. You are an amazing actor. You are the hightlight of my week - I am obsessed with your show. Looking foward to watching you accept your GOLDEN GLOBE and to season 5!! YEAH DEXTER!!!
    Get well soon!!!

January 14, 2010 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Ally

O, just forget about Dexter, as much as I love that show, just run away, enjoy life, with your family, nothing is more important than yours, and your loved ones health! Take it as a wake up call. You are an amazing actor, both of you, and your wife, you are in our hearts.

January 14, 2010 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Diva

Thoughts go out to Michael and his family. Cancer is a terrible thing – and I hope for a speedy recovery!

January 14, 2010 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Toni Amato

My best wishes for a quick and full recovery. Stay well Michael!

January 14, 2010 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Gail

"Is he reaping what he's sowing? Playing a killer famished with shedding blood will bring no one luck – it's definitely NOT a God blessed role. Time for him to think about the example he's setting in a deeply disturbed violent country."

Ummm....Victoria...do you have a clue? First off, "Famished with shedding blood" makes no sense...famished meaning 'hungry'. Perhaps you mean fascinated or preoccupied or obsessed – they would all make more sense, grammatically. As for your belief that God is punishing him for being an actor playing a role, that's just too ridiculous for words. If that's your religion, I want no part!!

Much love and well wished to Michael.

January 14, 2010 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Tom

Looks like the dark passenger was in his blood after all. Jokes aside, best wishes Michael; Dexter is the best show on television. Thank God it's hodgkins rather than non-hodgkins.

January 14, 2010 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  10. elle

wow, i am so glad he is recovering....he is a great actor and Dexter is a great series....continued health to you michael.

January 14, 2010 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
  11. Dawn Hayden

I was very distrubed to hear about Michael Hall's diagnosis; but VERY happy to hear he is in remission. I could not live without Dexter. Michael your an amazing actor and your fans love you. Keep up the good work.

January 14, 2010 at 8:14 am | Report abuse |
  12. BA

Victoria,
    Get a clue, Dexter is one of the finest, most entertaining shows on tv. The character is fascinating, and Mr. Hall is fortunate to have the role. He obviously enjoys playing it. I'm glad he's not as superstitious as you.

January 14, 2010 at 8:07 am | Report abuse |
  13. Sandyb

Victoria, get your head out of your...bible. It's a tv show, not reality. If you don't like it, go watch something else. Or go back to your book of fairy tales.

January 14, 2010 at 7:52 am | Report abuse |
  14. Tammy L

You are in our thoughts and prayers! Be strong!!! Awesome actor!

January 14, 2010 at 6:50 am | Report abuse |
  15. Melba

The best show on TV I encourage aLl my co workers and friends to watch. Get well Michael you are the best actor on TV now

January 14, 2010 at 5:52 am | Report abuse |
  16. Richard

God bless him? If there was a god, why did "it" allow this to happen in the first place? Don't bless "god". Thank the doctors and nurses trained in science. Jeeeees!

GET WELL SOON, Michael!

January 14, 2010 at 4:52 am | Report abuse |
  17. Lynn

Be positive and stay strong!
    For them to say treatable and curable he must have been in the early stages of NHL cause once your stage 3 or 4 it is non curable. I am 4.

January 14, 2010 at 4:27 am | Report abuse |
  18. John

Victoria, you are as sick and demented as that religious nut Pat Robertson who claims Haiti deserved what they got when the earthquake struck and possibly killed a hundred thousand poor souls. Shame on you, you sad little girl.

January 14, 2010 at 2:47 am | Report abuse |
  19. tim

police blood splatter expert-cum-serial killer .............................................i think you guys should proof read before you print., what is a "expert – cum – serial killer"??????

January 14, 2010 at 1:45 am | Report abuse |
  20. Victoria

January 14, 2010 at 1:03 am | Report abuse |
  21. theresa mitchell

Dexter is the best thing on tv!!! I pray for a fast recovery and much happiness for him and his wife.

January 14, 2010 at 12:10 am | Report abuse |
  22. Elizabeth

Get well soon. You are an incredible actor and Dexter is an amazing show because of you! Best wishes.

January 13, 2010 at 11:31 pm | Report abuse |
  23. twogimics4@msn.com

as a retire cop and fustrate by our unfair and crappy criminal justice system........we need hall to retun as dexter......we need his kind of justice. best wishes to Michael Hall....

January 13, 2010 at 11:02 pm | Report abuse |
  24. amyinoaktown

Glad to hear you are in remission and beating this awful disease! Good they caught it early! Stay strong....looks like you were still working your a** off when undergoing treatment! You can survive anything now!

January 13, 2010 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Dan

Dont die, i want more dexter

January 13, 2010 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
  26. michael

im glad hes getting treated. oh and what is a "expert-cum-serial killer"?

January 13, 2010 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Cinders23

Michael, thank you for sharing your diagnosis. Prayers go out to you as you go through treatment. Stay strong! There are many, many of your fans out here who wish you well as you travel the road to recovery & remission.
    We love you!

January 13, 2010 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Sandra

God bless him...even if he does play a serial killer.

January 13, 2010 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Joe Sanchez

I sure hope he will be ok. Godspeed to you. My girl and I love your show, its our favorite show.

January 13, 2010 at 7:32 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Katie

You are in my thoughts and prayers Michael. Am cancer survivor myself, so hang in there! Love your work.

January 13, 2010 at 7:30 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Caitlin

I am glad he is in remission! He is a great actor. Stay well, Michael C. Hall.

January 13, 2010 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Home

For a secodn there, I thought the end of Dexter was near, glad to see Michael is recovering, bring on more Dexter!

January 13, 2010 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Matt

Glad to hear he is recovering... Michael C. Hall is one hell of an actor!

January 13, 2010 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |