January 12th, 2010

Show-stopping 100th episode for 'HIMYM'

testing captions
testing captions

(Warning: Read no further if you haven't seen Monday night's "How I Met Your Mother.")

So close! As promised, the producers of "How I Met Your Mother" got Ted Mosby the closest he has ever come to finally meeting the woman he was going to marry in Monday night's 100th episode.

When Ted met grad student Cindy, "Future Ted" told us that the Mother was in the same class as Cindy, felt the same about Ted at first glance and kept a yellow school bus in her apartment, the same one in "Future Ted's" home. That's right, Ted's future wife is - Cindy's roommate!

The show's writers have this misdirection down to a science, but at the same time, there's a lot more to this show than the Mother mystery (as intriguing as that is - Ted saw her foot!).

No, the main reason that this show has reached 100 episodes is because it has one of the best ensembles on television, and this episode was another great example of that. While Ted was off almost meeting the Mother, Barney was determined to score with a female bartender, who just so happened to hate suits. Neil Patrick Harris may have hosted the Emmys, but he deserves one of his own - he effortlessly steals every scene.

Meanwhile, Lily grew more frustrated that Marshall wouldn't admit the bartender was hot, while Robin sulked that the new bartender was getting so much attention, and in the second best scene of the episode (I'll get to the first in a minute), she went behind the bar to show that any female bartender is automatically seen as hot... until she was awkwardly booted out by a real bartender.

All of that would have made for a top-notch episode, but what made this truly legen... wait for it... dary, was Barney's show-stopping musical number ode to suits, which kept every ounce of the show's trademark wit. Let's face it: with Harris in your cast, you gotta have him sing eventually, and it was definitely worth the wait. And no worries: this is Barney, after all, and his suits aren't going anywhere.

When "How I Met Your Mother" started 100 episodes ago, the half-hour comedy was a dying breed. Now, some of the hottest shows on TV include "Modern Family" and "The Big Bang Theory." Often dismissed as another "Friends," this show is truly one of a kind, and here's to many more awesome moments to come. (Up top!)

1. Hair Loss Treatment

well, earning money is a bit tricky and hard sometimes. you really got to be very creative if you want to earn more ;.*

December 16, 2010 at 12:37 am | Report abuse |
  2. Chloe Davies

Alysson Hannigan is cute and funny in "how i met your mother" tv series,'`

September 9, 2010 at 6:28 am | Report abuse |
  3. Hamburgler

Doogie was awesome last night!

January 12, 2010 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  4. TV viewer from the Midwest

I think this was a good episode, especially the part with the bartender! I think the program goes really well with the rest of the Monday night CBS comedy lineup, especially Big Bang Theory. we need more shows like that on TV that make you laugh and aren't so serious all the time. (I can't stand reality tv either. I understand it's really popular right now, but I just can't get into it at all.)

January 12, 2010 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Sheila

The musical scene was pretty good but I thought Marshall sang the best in it, specially at the beginning when he jumps in with Barney.

January 12, 2010 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Caroline

I was laughing so hard when the Ode to Suits came on the screen. I was also DVRing the episode and think I watched the musical number 3 more times. Absolutely hilarious!

January 12, 2010 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Erica

I LOVE HIMYM! Last nights episode was fantastic (I had to try really hard just then not to say legen-wait for it-dary). I love this show

January 12, 2010 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  8. The Pit

How I Met Your Mother just keeps getting better and better.

January 12, 2010 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
  9. John Berggren

People need to stop thinking they know a jump the shark moment when they see it. That's the type of thing you don't know until the show is over or at least in steady decline.
    That said, the musical number absolutely was not it. It was hilarious, and a great way to celebrate 100 episodes. Considering they clearly planted it in Barney's imagination, I don't see how anyone could have any fault with it.

I will watch HIMYM until it ends. It is definitely one of the best shows on television. I just hope they plan the ending properly and don't let the show linger beyond it's shelf life.

January 12, 2010 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Tim

Can I just say that saying a show has "jumped the shark" is a lot like saying "first" in comments. We get it. You called it. If you stop watching, that's fine. It's a great show. It was this week and it will be next week. Just enjoy it.

January 12, 2010 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Rob

Like others, I agree that the musical, was merely awkward. One of the two funniest shows on tv (second BBT). Barney holds the entire show together, without him, its a bust. You are, waith for it, the man barney stinson.

January 12, 2010 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  12. John L

I sat wathcing the "suits" song with my mouth open. How in the world writers for a 30 minute sit com could ever come up with something this brilliant and so well choreographed is beyond me. It might be the best 5 minutes of TV I've seen in a decade. This scene was as good as any first class Broadway musical – astonishing!

January 12, 2010 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  13. SK

loved loved loved the musical!!! NPH was really awesome. best episode.

January 12, 2010 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Aaron

Sorry people, there was no" jump the shark" moment. The musical was hilarious.

January 12, 2010 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Monica

I cannot believe that there are people who really think that this show is funny. Last nights episode was a joke, no pun intended. My husband and I will not tune in any longer, it seems that the writers are really going to the bottom of the barrel.

January 12, 2010 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Doogie

suuuuiiiit uuuuuppppp

January 12, 2010 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Sherry

This show is fresh and clever; case are great. Enjoyed the musical number on the 100th show. NPH rules.

January 12, 2010 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Mike

NPH rocked......

January 12, 2010 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  19. Steph

I thought this episode was hilarious except for the musical number. It was just weird. The hidden compartment in the bathroom stall was awesome. I still think this is one of the best shows out there along with Big Bang Theory, which was hilarious last night too.

January 12, 2010 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  20. LBW

I liked it! It tied up a lot of the loose ends. The musical number was a bit over the top.

January 12, 2010 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  21. nenecats Houston

The cast is perfect. The show is consistantly very funny. Cudos to
    the 100th & to #200!

January 12, 2010 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  22. LTM

I agree. HIMYM is truly the best primetime show on TV. It is clever with a great cast, timing and writing. Harris and Segel really make the show, but the others come in close second. I hope there are one hundred more.

January 12, 2010 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
  23. brian

That was funny, did anyone notice when Barney went to the bathroom to get his suite fix. That it was the same music that Pulp Fiction played when John Trovolta was shooting up.

January 12, 2010 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  24. Mike

Hey Burl, what you should have said is "jolts the brain like a 2 litre of TANTRUM"

January 12, 2010 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  25. Robin

NPH suits me fine!!!

Bravo!

January 12, 2010 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
  26. Diane

LOVED Tim Gunn's appearance! How fabulous. I love this show. :)

January 12, 2010 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  27. Lynda

Funny thing, when the musical number started, I turned to my husband and said, "I believe this show just jumped the shark." But I still loved the performance, and I hope they do it again and again and again. In fact, I wish every episode of the show ended with a big musical finish starring Neil Patrick Harris.

January 12, 2010 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  28. Denise

Barney is awesome and legendary:)

January 12, 2010 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
  29. Lisa T.

This episode was AWESOME!!!! The show was hilarious and the musical number was extremely entertaining. I only wish we got to see more than a foot of Ted's future wife but we'll just have to wait. Neil Patrick Harris is a very talented actor and performer. I would love to see another musical number (maybe a dream sequence) in the future. What a great cast!

January 12, 2010 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
  30. Burl

I thought is was brilliant...I often argue for the "genius in sitcommery" prize, and HIMYM is it. Everyone is flawless, unique, lovable, hilarious and...led by NPH...well, genius. As magnificent as that episode was, I really think it's still just the beginning for Mr. Harris. Have you listened to that voice – and how he sings with it? Talent,as Gerald Frank said about Judy Garland, that "jolts the brain like a massive dose of caffeine.

Possibly the best of his generation.

January 12, 2010 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
  31. Sheal

this show has had its ups and downs..but it continues to be interesting and funny, and honestly it is exactly what I miss about TV. in the 90s it was ..turn on the tv...laugh for 30min.. and get on with your life... now a days there is a huge theology behind the show..and viral sites and if you miss one episodes you lose out huge...and if its not that ..its a damn mocumentary.....go HIMYM..and BBT...we need more shows like that for those of us who just need to laugh at the end of the day

January 12, 2010 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
  32. Matt

I honestly thought last night's episode was terrible. That musical number was not funny at all. Combine that with the stupid Barney and Robin relationship from earlier this season and I think this show has jumped the shark. This from a big fan.

January 12, 2010 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
  33. mona

I agree with the article above. The musical number at the end was the best–brilliant and hilarious, while the bartender scene came in a close second. This show definitely has some great writers. The cast has remarkable chemistry and appeal (quirkiness and all). I only wish I could have gotten hooked on this show much sooner than last year. Monday nights on CBS is my comedic relief for the week. Kudos to four great comedy shows in a row. Keep us laughing!!

January 12, 2010 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
  34. KChamp

I recorded the episode, and I tuned in half-way thru. I saw the foot-sighting in Cindy's apartment. I guess I missed the part about the yellow school bus, because I thought it was about a yellow umbrella.

January 12, 2010 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
  35. NotFonzie

Big Musical Number = Jumped the Shark

January 12, 2010 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
  36. muffinman

The show was good, the musical number wasn't as good as I thought it would be except for the cut on Lily.

January 12, 2010 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
  37. Ryan K

I love the show! and if it ever goes off-air! that would be the biggest strike to mankind!

Hail barney stinson!

January 12, 2010 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
  38. Nick

Love the show but the musical totally through me off. It was very weird.

January 12, 2010 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
  39. JB

by far the best part of that episode is when Barney goes into the bathroom stall to unveil the hidden suit compartment!

January 12, 2010 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
  40. doug

bravo!

January 12, 2010 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
  41. Veronica

This was by far one of the best episodes of HIMYM ever!!

January 12, 2010 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
  42. Laffy

I thought the musical was the worst the the show's ever done and a "jump the shark" moment.

January 12, 2010 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
  43. Alec

The musical number was not at all the best part of the episode. It was kind of just awkward. Nonetheless, the episode was amazing.

January 12, 2010 at 10:38 am | Report abuse |
  44. dworm

I've always had such a crush on NPH. I would watch him in anything. He always steals the (scene) show.

January 12, 2010 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |