January 12th, 2010

'Desperate Housewives' loses drama

testing captions
testing captions

As a longtime fan of “Desperate Housewives” I have to say I am worried the remainder of this season is going to be a lot of tragedy and “special moments” and not enough of the rompy drama that made me (and my dad!) a DH fan in the first place.

Judging from the past couple of weeks my concerns seem validated. DH returned from a winter hiatus and tied up loose ends surrounding the pre-holiday plane crash episode with some well-thought out flash forwards interspersed with intense hospital scenes. Now that all the dust has settled, real life comes rushing back to Wisteria Lane. Unfortunately, real life can also = boring.

On Sunday night’s episode Gaby and Carlos pushed to get Juanita into private school. In the midst of her interview with the headmaster, Gaby and Carlos learn that Juanita doesn’t realize that she is of Mexican descent because she's always lived in a neighborhood full of white people. This leads to some relatively un-profound talk about race relations on Wisteria Lane (It's too bad Alfre Woodard left the show).

Down the street, Bree confessed to her pastor that she had an affair with the late Karl Mayer and he recommended she take care of the now paralyzed Orson to try to save her mortal soul. Orson begrudgingly agrees to this deal, though he is obviously committed to making Bree’ life a living hell and turning her into his personal slave (and chef).

It was depressing city over at the Scavo household, as Tom and Lynette bickered over who would work to support the family after Lynette had her baby. The two ultimately give into their grief over losing one of their unborn twins. Someone is always crying at the Scavo house and it feels like Tom gets more and more emasculated with every season.

Thankfully the mood was lifted when Susan discovered Karl left her a secret business in his will, a strip joint called Double-Ds. Susan is none too happy when she finds out her current hubby Mike frequents the mammary mecca (he swears it is only for work…he cleans their pipes…as a plumber) and forbids him from visiting. Mike is of course unhappy with her domineering attitude so to prove a point Susan takes to the stage as Mrs. Fix It, forcing Mike to carry her off in a show of his animal husbandry.

Watching Teri Hatcher try to straddle a pole was probably the only time I cracked a smile for the entire hour. Hopefully the show will stop taking itself so seriously and make the housewives a little more desperate and a little less tragic for the remainder of the season.

« Previous entry
  1. Adam

I completely agree with Jo's article, Yes a plane crashed and there are some funny moments but even the truest DH fan can see that the new season has lost something compared to years past. In short; the show has gone soft. and seems to be sending some kind of "wholesome" message. All of the wives seem to have faded away from those intense persona's that we all came to love in exchange for drab updates on characters that were once involving. it just seems as if there is no heart or passion for the show left in anyone involved with DH; and I was hoping they would do away with Orson instead, he is such a dork and Karl was for a much better storyline. For this kind of everyday boredom I can just live life and spare watching it on DH.

January 15, 2010 at 5:49 am | Report abuse |
  2. Lori

Was anyone else secretly hoping that the doctors had confused Karl and Orson, and that Karl was still alive? I know I was!

January 13, 2010 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Sue

I still love the show!

January 13, 2010 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  4. wizzer

I'm SO glad others share my opinion.....OMG, the first show back this year ? Yawn, Yawn and ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ !

WHY did they get rid of Karl ? He was the BEST....

And Edie was Hi-LAR-ious.....

it's pretty sad when they get rid of FABULOUS people who
    make us want to WATCH THE SHOW !

Gaby's kid bores me silly (but good time to run for snacks)....
    how she even got the part amazes me to this day.

Don't know what's in store for DH, but if it's based on the
    past 3 shows, it may only have 3 more shows to go !!!!

January 13, 2010 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Kat

The first season got me hooked, but each season it gets worse. It's no longer campy, just stupid. I don't like the characters anymore either. The plane crash was just like the tornado coming down Wisteria Lane. I Tivo it so I can zip through it and skip things, and wonder why I even bother. Time for it to go off the air.

January 13, 2010 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Crystal

I love the show. I think Drea is a good addition to the cast, and am excited to see where her story goes. The only one I'm bored with is Lynette...pregnant...again..that seems to be all she's good at! I am NOT a fan of Orson and wish it would've been his departure from the show over Carl's...but whatever...Bree will add the fun to that plot...Susan needs another frienemy like she had with Edie...sometimes I miss that ole' hoochie. I love Gabby and Carlos..always have, always will...they always seem to get the best plots of all the characters...which I guess isn't fair on one hand..but man, they get into some crap!! I'm happy to see what is in store for the remainder of the season, and next...I think I read somewhere that it might be it's last season...sad times, but you can't keep a show like this going on and on..pretty soon it gets a little gross watching 40-60 year old women get frisky (ie Sex and the City...)

January 13, 2010 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Pete G

I loved last week's episode.

The whole 'I'm Mexican?' scene was hilarious.

"Adios senore" has already become a catchphrase amongst my friends and I.

The show is just as funny (if not, even funnier).

Not enough drama? A freakin' plane crashed into the neighbourhood!

January 12, 2010 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Sean

DH is as good as it has always been. Stop bitching, and just enjoy the show. I will NEVER STOP WATCHING!! LOVE IT!

January 12, 2010 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Jeff Colby

DH has gone soft as of late, but it's not dead yet, the writers just need to find Susan's inner Klutz, Gaby's inner Slut, Lynnette's inner Ball Breaker, and Bree's inner Bitch, add in Lee's Busy Body facial expression and by all means dump Drea Mateo from the cast and the show will be back in shape!

January 12, 2010 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Steve

I am a fan of Desperate Housewives and will continue to be so until the final episode airs!

January 12, 2010 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
  11. Chang

I used to love DH, but this season has failed to hold my attention... These aren't the Housewives I'm looking for.

January 12, 2010 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
  12. Mrs. Shaver

Sad to say it but DH is getting boring. All season I have been waiting 4 it 2 get "good". I'm still waiting....

January 12, 2010 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
  13. Karl

Jo Piazza – that's your opinion and only yours. I still love DH and will continue to watch it as long as it's on.

January 12, 2010 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
  14. Debra R

Never watched this show...time to let it go...

January 12, 2010 at 9:07 am | Report abuse |