January 11th, 2010

Carole King & James Taylor bring back the '70s

A few years ago, I was fortunate enough to step into a time machine of sorts for a performance I'd been too young to experience the first time around: Carole King and James Taylor playing the legendary Troubadour club in West Hollywood, with their original backing band, The Section – drummer Russ Kunkel, bassist Lee Sklar, and guitarist Danny "Kootch" Kortchmar.  A few hundred people squeezed into the tiny old club for each of the half-dozen performances, the first time that combo had graced that stage since 1970.

Needless to say, the crowds went crazy  for every show – and now those who missed out can get a taste of the magic.

Today, King and Taylor announced North American concert dates for their Troubadour Reunion tour, featuring The Section and other special guests, including King's longtime sideman, Rudy Guess; the multi-talented Robbie Kondor; singer/violinist Andrea Zonn; and longtime Taylor backup singers Arnold McCuller and Kate Markowitz.

Tickets go on sale January 23, a few days after they play "Today" and "The Late Show with David Letterman," and after spring dates in Australia, New Zealand, and Japan, they kick things off in the U.S. May 7 in Portland, Oregon.  Both JamesTaylor.com and CaroleKing.com have more info.  If the '07 Troubadour show – one of the best I've ever attended, without a doubt – are any benchmark, tickets won't last very long.

1. Annekec Yedidq

One more thing. I think that there are quite a few travel insurance web pages of reliable companies that allow you enter a trip details and have you the estimates. You can also purchase the particular international travel insurance policy on the internet by using your own credit card. All you have to do will be to enter the travel specifics and you can be aware of the plans side-by-side. Only find the program that suits your financial allowance and needs and use your credit card to buy the item. Travel insurance online is a good way to do investigation for a respectable company pertaining to international travel cover. Thanks for expressing your ideas.

July 7, 2012 at 2:39 am | Report abuse |
  2. HKSEO

Hello There. I discovered your weblog the usage of msn. This is a really neatly written article. I'll make sure to bookmark it and return to learn extra of your useful info. Thanks for the post. I will definitely comeback.

April 29, 2012 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
  3. John Spurlock

"Carole King & James Taylor bring back the '70s"

Great idea.. because even Richard M.Nixon was a better President than Barrack Hussein Obama!!!

September 8, 2010 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
  4. Jim

I am "STILL AT THE CONCERT" The DYNAMIC DUO played in Cleveland last nite and it was the Best concert I have ever been to ( I'm 61 and Ochs, to Simon, to Havens to the Band to Dylan to the Who................... )
    Who gives a darn about what they did or do behind closed doors I saw 2 INCREDIBLY TALENTED PEOPLE GIVE 150%, brought EVERY JOYFUL FEELING up in me, sometimes 2 at a time and they love each other. Absolutely obvious!!, In the way they act, and perform. And I was invited in for the night What a night!
    Jim

July 8, 2010 at 8:25 am | Report abuse |
  5. Gail

Got presale tix for the May show in Columbus. I'd rather they hit Cleveland or Pittsburgh, but I'll take whatever I can get. Singer/songwriters of this caliber just don't exist any longer.

January 14, 2010 at 8:46 am | Report abuse |
  6. Courtiebabe

Yahoo!! Got pre-sale tickets in November for the March show at the Hollywood Bowl, cannot wait had my husband make it an early birthday present.

January 13, 2010 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Caroline

I'm still looking for a list of concert dates. Are they going to be anywhere near Pittsburgh? With my luck...probably not! I love their music. To GLW...why do you think that Toby Keith never wins awards and usually doesn't attend them...he is a rebel and does his own thing...!

But my heart belongs to James and Carole...>!

January 12, 2010 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Janelle

I tllotay agree with you, then who against you? I think you should teach your children what you believe, and why others believe what they do and let them decide for themselves. It's not the kind of child abuse.

February 13, 2012 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  8. GLW

What???

This tour should not be allowed!

Don't they know that here in America we only listen to corporate created, pretty faced, lip-synching singers who are attractive, young, and full of marketing promise who don't play instruments, don't write their own material, and don't set their own musical direction.

Next thing you know, there will be good music again played by real musicians and then what will happen to the corportions share price?! Who will tell me what to listen to and what to buy? Who will me what acts to like? I'm not going to have to think, am I?

p.s. Dear Carole and James, I'll be first in line with my tickets at your show and I'll be bringing my teenagers. They've been listening to you, and loving you and your peers, all their life. Just like me!

January 12, 2010 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  9. rml

Either way they are both great performers who have worked together before and will be amazing together again. Can we get over repeating that they weren't married.

January 12, 2010 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
  10. nenecats Houston

What a magnificent evening musically. Didn't see Texas on the
    list.....so sad for us. The memories that will be brought back and
    new ones to be made. Awesome!

January 12, 2010 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
  11. carol kesling

carole king was married to gerry goffin and had 2 daughters...they remained very close until gerry's mental health went downhill, it was hard on the daughters! what a great talent carole king is!

January 12, 2010 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
  12. Jackie

Ummmm, James Taylor wasn't married to Carole King...he was married to Carly Simon! So, with that fact, I guess James & Carole should be happy! Love both of them tho! But each generation offers some great music, not just the 70's.

January 12, 2010 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
  13. BillB

"This once-married couple is a good example of "exes" working it out.....to the point where they are happier now than when they were married. Glad to see them performing together."

Carole King and James Taylor were never married. Taylor was at one time married to Carly Simon. Carole King was married to Gerry Goffin.

January 12, 2010 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
  14. J.Crobuzon

carelvis, JT was married to Carly Simon, who later dated Russ Kunkel. CK used the Section with her husband as bass player instead of Lelend Sklar. This band was also the Flying Machine.

January 12, 2010 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
  15. GT

It should be some great music, I loved both of them in their day. However, Carole King and James Taylor were not married to each other. James was married to Carly Simon.

January 12, 2010 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
    • Marky

what a great read, tkhans Cherri for putting my feelings into language thats smarter and less polarizing than what usually comes out of my pie hole

February 13, 2012 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
  16. Rhonda

I don't believe he was ever married to Carole King. He was previously married to Carly Simon. I did see James and Carole perform in the 70's and loved them. Still do.

January 12, 2010 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
  17. Jeffrey Parsons

James was married to Carly Simon, not to Carole King

January 12, 2010 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  18. Shaun

Um... I'm pretty sure JT and Carole King were never married. JT was married to Carly Simon once upon a time. Their son Ben is a recording artist and actually quite good, even though he hasn't gotten much attention outside of having two famous parents.

January 12, 2010 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
  19. jh

James Taylor was married to Carly Simon, not Carole King.

January 12, 2010 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
  20. magen

I do not believe they were ever married. James taylor was married to Carly Simon.

January 12, 2010 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
  21. June

James and Carole- never married to each other! He was married to Carly Simon

January 12, 2010 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
  22. Madgrandma1

Not married. He was married to Carly Simon.

January 12, 2010 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  23. paula guthrie

I do not think Carole King and James Taylor were ever married–he was married to Carly Simon-not Carole King

January 12, 2010 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
  24. Ralph

James and Carole were never married. James was married to Carly Simon.

January 12, 2010 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
  25. Diane

Didn't know they were married.??? James Taylor was once married to Carly Simon.

January 12, 2010 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
  26. Carelvis

January 12, 2010 at 10:36 am | Report abuse |
  27. Debra R

Can't wait for this tour...finally some real music!!!!

January 12, 2010 at 7:59 am | Report abuse |