January 7th, 2010

NBC: Leno show 'has performed as we anticipated'

testing captions
testing captions

Jay Leno fans, you can breathe again - those reports about NBC pulling the late-night mainstay from their lineup aren't accurate, an NBC spokeswoman said in a statement.

"Jay Leno is one of the most compelling entertainers in the world today," NBC representative Rebecca Marks said. "As we have said all along, Jay's show has performed exactly as we anticipated on the network."

But, Marks added, the show has represented some issues for NBC's affiliates - issues she declined to comment on.

However, "both Jay and the show are committed to working closely with them to find ways to improve the performance."

This statement came after FTVLive.com posted a story about NBC possibly pulling Leno because of low ratings, a fear that has hovered over the show ever since he was moved to the 10 p.m. slot in September.

The show was a risk for NBC because it put a talk show up against scripted prime-time shows, and also ran it five days a week. Since the beginning, Leno has been open about the low ratings expectations, noting the network's poor performance.

"NBC's in fourth place," Leno told CNN in September. "You can't do any worse."

But according to Adweek, Leno has indeed stayed on par with ratings expectations.

"Leno is performing at about the ratings NBC sold it," the industry trade reported, "so there were no overblown expectations."

1. Joel T.

You know when Jay announced he was leaving the tonight show I was hoping he would ride off into the sunset and collect his cars.

Instead, he came back with the same band and a watered down version of his "Tonight Show".

NBC and Leno felt that Conan was the right choice to take over the Tonight Show. They should do the right thing and let Conan keep his OWN time slot and see how he does with it. The Tonight Show has become such an institution over the past however many years, it would be a shame to see it go.

I say let Leno out of his contract and if he feels Fox is a better fit for him,then so be it. He gave NBC 17 yrs of service – maybe it is time to move on.

January 11, 2010 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  2. Joe

So, the show failed completely, but did "as expected."
    Wow.

January 11, 2010 at 1:38 am | Report abuse |
  3. Fafafooey

A hack and a thief, hope he gets the boot. Go back to stand up Jay, it was the last time you did anything humorous.

January 10, 2010 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  4. lb

One small problem with Mr. Leno...... he's not funny.

January 10, 2010 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Dan

Leno Show Has Performed "As We Anticipated"? So NBC was trying for fourth-place at the 10:00 PM time slot? That's financial suicide! And move Leno to 11:35 PM for 30 minutes and Conan to 12:05 AM? Older folks will stay up for Leno and then tune out Conan...again hurting NBC ratings. Pull Leno, give him a number of prime-time specials, give his production company a bit more business (to ease his 'financial distress') and cut your (NBC) losses now!

January 10, 2010 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
  6. Matt K

Am I the only one who thinks that Jay should start an American version of Top Gear?

January 9, 2010 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Tony

Here's the thing, Conan is NATURALLY funny and Jay has to depend on writer's to deliver his punchline. Another noticeable thing if you're a Howard Stern fan is that a lot of his bits (Jay-Walking for example) were stolen from the Stern show without any credit being given. I will admit that Jay's opening monologues can be pretty hilarious, but his humor is not his own.

Sorry Jay but you've gotta go.

January 9, 2010 at 8:18 am | Report abuse |
  8. JP

boooo jay leno... go away finally! Jay Leno.. now unfunny an hour earlier!

January 8, 2010 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
  9. chuck d

Jay is a tool, he steals all his bits (mostly from Howard Stern, thanks to Stuttering John), which are lame anyway when Leno does them.
    He's not funny on TV, He is funny when he does stand up and not afraid to insult someone but his TV show is awful, and so was the tonight show
    Conan is way better than Jay

January 8, 2010 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Chip Bray

I think late night show hosts should be like the President with a limit of 4 years in office. If they really shine, we'll give them eight... We need to see new talent.

January 8, 2010 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Jeanie Johnson

We love seeing Leno at 10pm! Maybe NBC will take a look at the audience that watches Leno then. Has anyone taken into consideration his 10pm fan base? We never saw Leno before and now watch him nightly. After reading some of the above comments, we realize we are not the only fans who feel this way! Thanks, NBC.

January 8, 2010 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Cydney

After the debacle with Studio 60, where NBC proved their completey apathy for the viewing public (AKA the 'purchasing consumer" mind you!), it doesn't matter what WE think. Now the local affiliates, whose news shows are being slaughtered by the poor lead-in, have been left to squwack and complain to the same governing body that DOESN'T PAY ATTENTION!!!

NBC has repeatedly shown disdain for the viewers, so as much as I love and adore Jay Leno and hope that he ends up wherever he's happiest, NBC won't make our opinions a factor in the slightest.

Too bad their bean-counters don't realize that their viewing public is also the purchasing consumer.

January 8, 2010 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Troy in Maine

Leno is a Hack cut and dry and his ratings are in the garbage for a well established entertainer. He is starting the rest of the evening off on a bad footing.

January 8, 2010 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
  14. Karen

NBC just doesn't get it... Conan is a jerk and is not at all funny! Bring back Jay Leno to the Tonight Show!

January 8, 2010 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
  15. Milo

All the late night shows are just OK. It's all about having people on to promote other things to watch/listen/read. All wrapped up with the same old jokes. That includes all of the late night hosts. I guess its really a matter of taste when choosing between them all. In my opinion, Jay's show is the worst one but to each his own. It's too hard for his show to go up against the big shows on TV, it's just not fair.

January 8, 2010 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |
  16. Paul

I stay up late for Craig Ferguson who is always hilarious. These days I tend to make good use of my Netflix account in the lead up to his show, but if I do watch another late night show it is Leno.

January 8, 2010 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
  17. David G

I think NBC has made a terrible decision. Whether or not you think that Jay should have beaten Dave over replacing Johnny is not the point. If Jay was ready to leave the Tonight Show, and NBC was desperate to keep him in the house, they should have come up with a concept for something like a Saturday or Sunday (after football season) night and put all of the efforts into one really great show per week, instead of a watered down, not very funny, 5 night a week deal. They literally killed off an entire time slot and worthy, high drama, meaty scripted shows had to look else where.

I think the Peacock thinks it's an Ostridge. Get your head out of the sand (or wherever you have it NBC) and do something right, before more quality programs head for USA, HBO, TNT and A&E.

January 8, 2010 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
  18. MJ

Trying to make people laugh on a regular basis is tough business folks. When I read all of these negative comments it makes me wonder if the people who wrote the criticisms would be capable of holding an audience. You're over thinking comedy folks, it comes in many flavors and people have differing taste.

January 8, 2010 at 9:22 am | Report abuse |
  19. Sue Phillips

I work shifts so I tivo this show. I really prefer this show to the CSI dramas. I really like this show and have never found conan's humor to be funny. I much prefer Letterman to Conan. This will be a huge mistake to take Leno off at 9 PM. The only part of the show that I am less than enthusiatic about is the little shorts or stand up routines by the untalented new comics that he is generously giving a first break to. This will be a huge loss for NBC to hastily pull the show. I watch the NBC news no matter what station I was watching prior to the news.

January 8, 2010 at 9:21 am | Report abuse |
  20. sheryl

What are all the complaints about Jillian Michaels. She was totally kidding Jay because he gave her grief from the moment she stepped on the stage. Regarding her shoes etc... Get a grip it was all in fun. She didn't mean Jay was in bad shape. It is comedy folks. Geez.

January 8, 2010 at 9:07 am | Report abuse |
  21. Matt

Please for the love of all that is good and holy cancel Leno, and never bring him back. Don't screw Conan to make that hasbeen hack of a comic happy. Oh, and don't replace Leno with the 19th rendition of Law and Order.

January 8, 2010 at 9:05 am | Report abuse |
  22. Troy in Maine

He needs to come up with some original material. The first time I saw the car test I couldn't believe it. He did a BBC show last year called Top Gear who have been doing that forever. Not to mention all the things he's taken from Howard Stern and watered down past primetime right into lame. Not to mention how many times I've seen him hurry up a celebrity guest to get to a bit with props. Bottom line is he's sucking even more ratings away and they are going to cable channels not even the other "big Networks" It's hurting local affiliates and destroying what lead in Conan has. Blaming Conan is like blaming the guy in the boiler room of the Titanic.

January 8, 2010 at 9:03 am | Report abuse |
  23. MikeInLex

Apprently there is a covert push to have all the Leno staff members post bogus comments here. It's the worst show on TV (thus the poor ratings). There's no way that many people watch this and actually think it's funny.

January 8, 2010 at 9:02 am | Report abuse |
  24. mj

I am happy to hear that Jay Leno will remain on tv. I love Jay!! He makes me laugh each night and helps me relieve stress from the day....Now Conan on the other hand, I don't know how he ever received a show. He is by far the worst comedian ever!

January 8, 2010 at 8:53 am | Report abuse |
  25. Grace Ambrus

I love having Leno available at a time when I can stay awake to see him. It is about time there was something beside criminal shows on before bedtime.

January 8, 2010 at 8:40 am | Report abuse |
  26. mark

Of course, everyone has their own take on humor. Someone at NBC recenty said, "We have a group of the most talented comedy writers in the business." Watching Leno's early show makes me wonder if they're on vacation. His humor comes off as totally canned and way too tightly scripted.

January 8, 2010 at 8:36 am | Report abuse |
  27. Alice Rice

I have watched the Jay Leno show for years--I think he is GREAT.
    To me, Conan was a JOKE from the very beginning and I found it absolutely a JOKE when they decided to keep him at all. Letterman as well-as Conan are both, I think, pitiful. Nothing funny about them. I am happy that Leno is coming back to his former slot and I assure you, this home will be with him every evening.

January 8, 2010 at 8:22 am | Report abuse |
  28. Debra R

so, they wanted a show that is not funny, painful to watch and a waste of Leno's talent?

January 8, 2010 at 8:18 am | Report abuse |
  29. Jim Bourgeois

Jay Leno/Colin Obrien
    Why should anyone be surprised! Colin Obrien is an idiot, to say the least. I couldn't stand the guy from the first time I saw him. I can't stand his looks, his mannerism's, he is annoying and he certainly is not a comic or any other classification of a performer! I cannot think of any position that interfaces with the public that he would be suited for!

I could not believe it when NBC told us years ago that he would replace Jay Leno. Who ever was responsible for this huge mistake should be put out to pasture with no connection to the entertainment world, whatsoever!

While the majority of us viewers enjoyed Leno for years, this fiasco will hurt Jay Leno's future and success of the show, no matter what!
    I predict he will never ever reach the level of viewers he once had!

NBC better start looking for the next Johnny Carson, even though we know there will never be another one like him! God Bless Johnny, I hope Jay does well, and I have no comment for Colin's future!

January 8, 2010 at 7:40 am | Report abuse |
  30. ed every

Jay may be winding up the "late-night" part of his career and that's OK.
    There is a lot of respect for the guy (unlike Letterman etc.). It's time. He could (should) move on the something else totally different.

In spite of the economy there is more interest in cars and US car makers than there has been for decades. The US car business will be pretty much scrapped and reborn over the next decade. All but Ford will disappear and new players will emerge. This is important and fascinating to a great many Americans. We need a window into this on TV.

Jay is a real car buff. He has his own little car museum and is having experimental cars built to his specifications. He would be perfect as Television's center for all things automobile. At the dawn of the electric car era, the subject and subject matter is inexhaustible. Jay has a great deal of respect in this field and personally.

The subject is bottomless if you let the show really get into the nitty-gritty. It would be successful, growing and long lived and I believe Jay would love doing it. Specialty car shows, forums and blogs would be part of it. Better yet it would be useful for the innovative part of the American public to have a hand in shaping America's automotive future.

Let him be technical if he wants to. Here is a typical subject that a show like this would be great at exploring:

wiltontech.com/when-plug-in-hybrids-become-a-necessity

January 8, 2010 at 6:33 am | Report abuse |
  31. RIP Tonight Show

Somewhere in the great beyond, Johnny Carson, along with Letterman, are laughing their heads off. It's kharma NBC.

January 8, 2010 at 2:52 am | Report abuse |
  32. bob

Does NBC want us to believe that they are delusional or that they are liars. Leno has never been funny and right now is no exception. It's not worse, only because the tonight show was pathetic with Leno to begin with.

January 8, 2010 at 2:43 am | Report abuse |
  33. DP

My problem – I can't never remember to sign on @ 9pm and thus unable to watch his show live. Although Conan is a good guy, I don't necessarily like watching him in the 10pm slot.

In essence, I don't watch either Conan or Leno. I wish someone would shake NBC's execs back to their normal senses and put the old lineup back in action. It worked really well.

NBC execs REALLY screwed up what a perfectly working lineup.

January 8, 2010 at 2:42 am | Report abuse |
  34. Angie J

I love Jay, but can't watch him in the 10 oclock time slot. Hope TMZ is right and they are moving him back to 11:30 pm where he belongs.

January 8, 2010 at 2:08 am | Report abuse |
  35. Mara

I would love to see Jay back on the Tonight Show – Conan just doesn't cut it, in my opinion.

January 8, 2010 at 1:05 am | Report abuse |
  36. BP

Jay Leno is probably the least funny person on the planet. I have a great aunt that can barely speak a sentence anymore, and she is funnier than Leno.

Cancel his show and put on "Suddenly Susan" or "Veronica's Closet" reruns, and I'll bet NBC sees a ratings boost.

January 8, 2010 at 12:59 am | Report abuse |
  37. James Dylan Rivis

Leno is so boring, old school, sexist , with worn out old humor – God it's like Reagan came back to life bobbing around the way he does.
    Amusingly enough a report on the potential shakeup tonight stated.....and I quote...

'A person familiar with discussions held Thursday said the network is considering a scenario that would include a half-air Leno show...'.

Half AIR ? More like all air , if you ask me.Too bad NBC hasn't the guts to unload this buffoon now.

January 8, 2010 at 12:47 am | Report abuse |
  38. DCT

Conan is the best thing to NBC and the Tonight Show since Johnny Carson. If Conan leaves I write every sponser of my displeasure and follow Conan to his new network. Brodcast, Cable, the Web! Conan forever!

January 8, 2010 at 12:45 am | Report abuse |
  39. Joe Schmoe

Leno....a talent??!! He's truly not that funny and his delivery is the same on every joke! If NBC is truly happy with him then why are they moving him back to his old latenight perch?

January 8, 2010 at 12:23 am | Report abuse |
  40. Illinois

Conan has been very loyal to NBC, he should not be moved just to cater to Jay Leno's career. Leno has displayed inconsistency in his career choices by returning to air immediately after he announced he would end Late Night. To younger audiences Conan is supremely funnier than Leno, and this move by NBC seems coniving and bias. NBC, have some decency and class instead of treating your hosts so abominably.

January 8, 2010 at 12:21 am | Report abuse |
  41. Erin

I have been watching Conan since my college days back in the late 90's and anyone who thinks Jay is funnier than Conan is on crack. I really appreciate Conan's wacky sense of humor and the way he mocks his guests on the show. Jay's nightly monlogue, skits and other schticks are tired, worn out and corny. I would imagine his bland humor appeals to the senior citizen crowd, but if NBC wants to increase its share of the all important 18-49 demographic, they'll leave Conan right where he is.

January 8, 2010 at 12:07 am | Report abuse |
  42. Dave

Leno sucks, Connan is funnier. They should drop Leno and open up the 10pm spot and bring back some good shows that they dropped for that slot.

January 8, 2010 at 12:02 am | Report abuse |
  43. Barry O

If Conan O'Brian is dumped I will cancel late night NBC forever

January 7, 2010 at 11:38 pm | Report abuse |
  44. fred

Kimmel is funny? What are you smoking? He's the worst of the group. Smug and ugly. Smugly! And his bits are so sickeningly played out and nothing about his monologue is ever original.

KIMMEL?????? Please.

January 7, 2010 at 11:37 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Kim

I miss Jay as he was. Should have left Jay where he was. If it ain't broke..... Jay didn't chose to leave, they were courting Conan. Conan is too dopey. He was ok for late late night only. The 10 p show is ok but still liked what he was doing before. I doubt Jay is any more scripted than the others. A fan.

January 7, 2010 at 11:34 pm | Report abuse |
  46. kj brat

I love Jay !!! I usually watch and tape the show. In case, I get interrupted during the show. The later time slot is better for me. It is a nice way to unwind after a busy day. I tried Conan's show but it was not for me at all.
    Letterman never interested me either. I hope that Jay returns to his old time slot but for a full hour not a half hour. I don't care what the name is but return to his old format. I do not care for the new skits/people he has in the 10 o'clock show. The ratings will go up when Jay returns to the later time. Jay is #1!!!!!!

January 7, 2010 at 11:29 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Susan

PLEASE cancel Conan and put Jay back into his original timeslot – 11:30 EST!!!! Conan is NOT funny – in fact he is simply wierd! Jay is one of a kind and we need to keep him – put him back where he started! Thank you

January 7, 2010 at 11:28 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Courtney

I love the current time slot and would be so disappointed to see Jay go. Having to wake up early makes it a rare occasion that I'm able to see late-night TV, so it's been so great to watch Jay Leno at 10pm!!

January 7, 2010 at 11:15 pm | Report abuse |
  49. chitown

I am very disappointed in NBC's choice to move Conan back- he deserves to be treated much better and has worked hard to get to where he is. NBC did not give him enough time to adjust the audience to his style and I don't believe replacing his time slot with Jay Leno (who had one of the worst shows of 2009) will help any such ratings. Conan is much funnier and is one of the few nice and classy guys left in the television community-he deserves a lot more than this. I have now lost faith in NBC.

January 7, 2010 at 11:11 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Billy B. Boombah

Leno always looks like he is pleading to be liked and laughed at. Boring.

January 7, 2010 at 10:47 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Lucas McCain

Hey Jay, You can never spend the millions of dollars that you have made all these years, so why not just retire and give some younger comic a chance at late night tv? You look so greedy by desperately clinging to your own show, enough is enough. It shows a very sad and ugly side of your ego. Johnny Carson went out on top and left us wanting him to come back, but there was only one Johnny. Please give it up. You should be very embarrassed to kick poor Conan out of the Tonight Show because you are demanding NBC to put you back there. You really do look like a child, crying in his sand box. You failed at 10pm because your bits were stupid, old and not funny. You have no idea how bad you really do look in the eyes of America.

January 7, 2010 at 10:40 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Colin

Leno is and has always been the most unfunny late-night performer, behind Letterman, Conan, Ferguson and, yes, Kimmel. Leno's comedy is tired and boring. And the funniest stuff he does isn't even written by him or his writers. It's stuff like Jaywalking, which is funny (if it's funny) only because of the stupid people he tracks down. NBC needs to let Conan be himself and allow him to gain some traction. Leno should simply get the boot.

January 7, 2010 at 10:34 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Roy

letterman rules late night....leno gets worse as time goes by...

January 7, 2010 at 10:30 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Diane Jay

Conan – ugh
    Letterman – yawn
    Leno – Mildly Interesting, fun
    Ferguson – now, here's a true comedian! Hilarious.

January 7, 2010 at 10:29 pm | Report abuse |
  55. fabio banderas

bothof these guys are full of pure nonsense and should be eliminated prmanently

January 7, 2010 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Steve-O

Letterman
    Ferguson
    Kimmel
    O'Brien
    Fallon
    Leno

That's the order.

January 7, 2010 at 10:08 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Chee

Cancel Conan and put Jay back in his place. Conan isn't funny and doesn't tell good jokes. Jay is the best.

January 7, 2010 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
  58. VICKI

i miss leno, i now work afternoon shift and can't see any of it, i don't care for conan, fallon is funnier and more entertaining
    why don't they dump conan and put leno back on nite show? would be better all around.

January 7, 2010 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
  59. kba

We love Jay. He's the laugh at the end of the day and we wouldn't have it any other way. Yes, this show is less edgy than his later night version but that's the way it has to be in Prime Time. We still love him.

January 7, 2010 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
  60. CC

I keep forgetting to watch as there is little promotion or reminders especially on HULU where I do most of my viewing.
    Odd too because they promote the heck out of Sat Night Live, Conan, Fallon but seldom Jay Leno.

January 7, 2010 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Anne

I haven't watched late night since I became a Mom.... and now I can !! I agree Jay's show is fabulous. More thought provoking then when he was on late night. However, I like Conan's show too once in a while. I love Jay's new show as it is more adult!!! And I love not watching a sad crime show in my one hour of Mommy time. I can go to bed now with a smile on my face! Keep up the good work Jay and the ratings will follow. The Cream alway's rises to the top

January 7, 2010 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Jay

Jay is great, I watched him at 11:30, we watch him now at 10:00. Only thing I wish, that they had kept the same exact show and just moved it to 10:00. We liked the format better, I liked Jay at a desk, they should NOT have changed it, I think that is the problem.. When something WORKS, do NOT mess with it! We do NOT watch Conan, never have, had never been able to stand the guy, he is NOT funny, he is irritating and stupid. BIG mistake, NBC, you should have gotten rid of Conan years ago. Jimmy Fallon is even better than him. Plus, if they thought Jay was going to be a lead-in to the local 11:00 NBC news, they be mistaken. We do NOT like Sue Simmons and this news team, so we do not watch NBC news, never have. That is NOT Jay's fault, he should NOT be expected to be a lead in to the news. Get a better NYC local news team and we'll watch. Sue Simmons is horrible, tht's NOT Jay's fault!

January 7, 2010 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Penelope

Advertisers want to appeal to younger, educated viewers and Leno doesn't fit that criteria. in fact he's just plain mediocre in every way: Stale jokes. Too-painful-to-watch interviews. I don't understand why NBC continues to cater to him. I was thrilled when he left which gave me the opportunity to toggle between Dave and Conan. Letterman may be getting old chronologically, but he still has a quick wit and is a great interviewer. Conan is a brilliant Harvard grad whose wacky sense of humor definitely appeals to a younger demographic. His show delivers the unexpected and his humor grows on you as you get to know him. I don't think the network has given him enough time to establish himself in the time slot. But by far the funniest guy on TV is Craig Ferguson. We usually record it and watch it at 11pm. There are lots of good options for late night TV and NONE of them is Jay Leno. (By the way, I'm in my early 50s.)

January 7, 2010 at 8:51 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Andy1619

I had predicted that Conan would fail if he did not change his ways, and I had given Conan DETAILED ADVICE and analysis about how he could avoid failure. That advice was posted (by Andy1619) over about THIRTY PAGES beginning over eight months ago at the Tonight Show website under the video An Important Message From Conan O'Brien which can be found among the earliest Behind the Scenes videos.

The link to those comments is:
    tonightshowwithconanobrien.com/video/clips/an-important-message-from-conan-obrien/1094769/

Conan chose to ignore my advice, and he must now bear the consequences.

January 7, 2010 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse |
  65. paco

I think the Leno show is performing as expected, but he is reaping the blame of the rest of the schedule falling apart. All NBC drama are failing to some degree, and Conan is not doing well.
    ----
    Local news at 10:00
    Leno from 11:00 to 11:50
    Conan 11:50 to 12:40
    Fallon from 12:40 to 1:30 AM

January 7, 2010 at 8:11 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Hannibal

Jay Leno is boring and old. Conan rocks.

January 7, 2010 at 8:09 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Mark C

*** including the third grade dope, Letterman. ****

That is PURE COMEDY GOLD coming from a Leno fan. Leno should hire you. He couldn't be worse off.

January 7, 2010 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Zoe

When was obvious ever funny? It's as though his target audience is the 55+ set who thinks there's a proper way to do all things or children.

January 7, 2010 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Darlene

I love the new Jay Leno show and would be very disappointed if NBC pulled it off. There's nothing comparable during prime time hours, and it's much better than the other late night talk shows, so I no longer have to stay up late.

January 7, 2010 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
  70. me

The time slot isn't causing poor ratings, Leno is. I have always found him to be a terrible interviewer. I never find any of his scripted stuff to be funny, but that could just be due to bad writers. If all the people that watched his tonight show were true fans and actually found him funny, they would have followed him to prime-time. Blame it on the host, not the time.

Conan and Letterman, even though I'm only a fan of one, are much better at delivering jokes. Their off-the-cuff remarks are far funnier than anything I've heard Leno say. Craig Ferguson is also consistently funny. I've never liked Jimmy Fallon much and was shocked when I found out he'd be taking over late night, but he does have his moments.

January 7, 2010 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Michelle

LOVE Jay & have for years. He is the only comedian with class.

January 7, 2010 at 7:41 pm | Report abuse |
  72. aaron

the only failing of the show, which has always been the low light of Jay's endeavors, is the monologue. It's not just a failing of his show though, most have flaws with taking current events and creating an instant, classic 1 liner. But in the years I've watched Jay, I have yet to laugh at a single one. His monologue should be replaced by a skit going forward. That first 5 minutes makes people change the channel and come back later in the program 'if' they remember.

January 7, 2010 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Rad

I love you Jay Leno! Keep up the Outstanding performance and work ethic that flows to you so freely! I first saw your show staying up late in High School and now I'm well out of college with a BA and a masters degree and you still keep me laughing! Thank You for the laughter that I get to enjoy every day ! Thank you!
    Be Blessed,
    Cheers,
    Rad

January 7, 2010 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
  74. michael charles

I have lost a great deal of respect for NBC officials since they made the ultimate mistake of putting Conan on at 11:30. I now watch Dave. Conan is not at all humorous and his presence alone is a sure ratings failure. His humor is aimed at people who are mentally challenged like he is. I don't know of anyone who could do a worse job of late night entertaining except possibly Joan Rivers. It is time to thank him and wish him well as he departs. NBC should never have put him on the air at all, particularly in a spot once owned by Johnny Carson and Jack Paar. He isn't fir to shine their shoes.

January 7, 2010 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Jim Walker

I've watched all of these guys throughout their careers and Jay is the best. Conan is awkward and child-like and a terrible interviewer. He spends more time responding to inane little goings-on in the studio than he does actually entertaining. I like watching Leno because I always feel like its going to be a good ride, so to speak, and not a waste of time like Conan. Having said that, I never miss Stewart and Colbert... they beat all the others hands down.

January 7, 2010 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Adam

TMZ is reporting Jay Leno is going back to the 11:30pm timeslot.

January 7, 2010 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
  77. ohcrapoh

Pleeeeease, NBC, put on quality shows with great characters like you used to! What happened to this network?!!!!

January 7, 2010 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Diane

Kimmel is the only genuinely funny late night comic.

January 7, 2010 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Marlene Fehring

Please, DO NOT take Jay off the air. I watch him every night and love him. Thank you!

January 7, 2010 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Ron Ron

Jay is the opposite of funny, that is not funny. He got is job at NBC because he was an expert at brown nosing top NBC execs and that is why I think he still has a show. There is something about him that a lot people including him find very irritating in addition to being unfunny.

January 7, 2010 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Jean-Claude

Jay is quick-witted, and a master at delivery. He's got the best timeslot. We've been living in dark, stressful times and it's refreshing to sit on the sofa at the end of the day and laugh before going to bed. Jay is good therapy. To end the day laughing with my wife is priceless, and I sleep very well. Thanks Jay.

January 7, 2010 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
  82. ABS

Missed Leno over the summer and only watch once in a while at 10pm....due to other favorites.- never liked Conan, never will. If anyone should vacate it's Conan.

January 7, 2010 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
  83. EFFeX

This is highly disappointing news. I can't believe they would even CONSIDER canceling Conan when he, in my opinion, has the best show on late night television. If anything, cancel JIMMY FALLON! His comedy is mediocre at best and his ability to hold down an entire show on his own is pathetic. Of course these are my opinions.

I am very upset with NBC right now. I can't believe this is even a discussion.

January 7, 2010 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  84. don

I love the show and the new time !!! jay blows away the rest of the
    late night guys

January 7, 2010 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
  85. JR

I'm not sure I like Leno or not, ever time I start to watch his new show, I fall asleep during the monologue.

January 7, 2010 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  86. Sunshine

Jay Leno is the BEST !!!!!!! No question about it !!!!! and I agree with Gerry – Jay is a Class Act. I prefer him at 11:35 PM – but just glad he is still around. Conan is just terrible; Letterman is so-so.

January 7, 2010 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Barbara

Jay Leno's show was great at 11: 30. I often forget to tune in at 10:00 but it is still well worth watching. I like when he asks simple questions of people on the street and they are college grads and don't know the answer. I also like when he reads the headlines. Basically his show makes you laugh at the ignorance of the supposed educated people. What on earth are they teaching in colleges these days? I think Conan comes across asfascinated with himself. If Jay's show were cancelled, I would not watch Conan.

January 7, 2010 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
  88. blahblahblah

Another thought:

Comedy isn't as funny as it used to be. Now there's nothing but murder and crime shows on. What happened to America? Where did the funny go?

I liked the '80's when Family Ties, Night Court, Wings, Cosby and shows like that were the top shows. Where did comedy go?

The Big Bang Theory is my favorite now. Good stuff. I also like Two and a Half Men but with the latest Sheen incident I won't watch it anymore. That's what you get, Charlie. Play nice from now on.

Enough of murder and reality tv. They suck.

2 more cents.

January 7, 2010 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
  89. Val

Never like Jay Leno, for the above posted reasons. Johnny was the best. Why he picked Jay to replace him is beyond me. Johnny Carson is still the King.

January 7, 2010 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
  90. blahblahblah

Oh well. All good things must come to an end eventually. I've been a fan of Jay for many years but even I'm getting bored with it. He's the best IMHO but his ship is taking on water and sinking. I often wonder if Jay would rather be wrenching on his cars rather than interviewing someone that's just promoting his or her newest project.

A few things I don't like about the show: The car racing thing. What's so funny or entertaining about that? Ax that.

And the ten questions for someone that doesn't even bother to come on the show. I zoom right past that with the FF button on my DVR.

I do like Headlines and Jaywalking though. Lately his monologues aren't getting many laughs. Tiger needs to speak out so Jay can have more jokes.

Admit it Jay. It's time to go fishing. Retire while you still have your dignity.

Just my 2 cents.

January 7, 2010 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
  91. Elaine Lake

Jay Leno is my favorite person on TV. I would like more
    interviews with names and less slapstick!!

January 7, 2010 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
  92. Jill

I agree with Bill – Leno needs to acquire interviewing skills. I find it extremely frustrating to watch him interview an interesting guest, as his line of questioning is quite uninteresting. He rarely asks a good question or one that could be expanded upon by the guest or one that the guest would have knowledge or insight they could pass on to the listener. Other than the interviewing, I do like Leno, but I find him a bit drab. Years ago I loved Letterman, but he lost his bite long ago. I absolutely LOVE Conan, although he seems a bit constrained in this time period. I'll continue to watch him, though, as he's my favorite by a lot.

January 7, 2010 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
  93. Jeff

WOW...what a ringing endorsement! "...has performed exactly as we anticipated.." How would you like your boss to give you that kind of a review!!

January 7, 2010 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
  94. Jim in Iowa

I always appreciated Jay Leno at 10:30 (Central), but not David Letterman. I, too, thought I would get my Leno "fix" with the 9:00 show, but it hasn't happened. I rarely watch, and when I do, it's usually for a special segment, like Headlines. I've always thought that Leno's humor was aimed at very basic audience, shooting for the cheap, easy laugh. Funny, but simple.
    I've learned to like Letterman, and agree with the comments that he is a better interviewer than Leno, but his monologues rarely have the belly-laughs that Leno aims to get.

January 7, 2010 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
  95. Zap B.

Leno is a stiff.. boring, lame, and funny only to old people. Conan has always been much funnier. His kind of humor is much more in touch with younger people. NBC is in last place for a reason – they suck. Ditching Conan would just be another nail in their coffin.

January 7, 2010 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  96. Dan Uff, Allentown, PA

I miss my L&O shows at 10pm. These shows were MEANT to be on at that time slot. Can Jay and move L&O back to 10pm!!!

January 7, 2010 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  97. texan

Leno is THE BEST!
    Being on at 9 CST is even BETTER for me because I can see the show even when I have to get up early for work the next day!
    With the former scheduling I missed the show except maybe on Friday nights or holidays.
    We have had WAY too much 'reality tv' in the scheduling for the past
    several years – who cares, anyway about those reality tv shows?
    There are way too many CSI type shows as well.
    It is all or nothing with the networks – they provide all of one type
    of format with out providing overall variety.
    Conan just doesn't have what is needed to draw the audiences –
    and David – I would never watch if something else was on that was
    better.

January 7, 2010 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
  98. GERRY. SAWICKI

I enjoy Jay's new show–it can use some improving but Jay is a Class Act. Keep him on.

January 7, 2010 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  99. no jay fan

retire him and get on with it already. anyone can find typos in the newspaper.

January 7, 2010 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  100. Russell

Letterman was the better choice to replace Johnny. Leno has some skill but his bits are old and only really work for people in their 50s. Letterman has stolen market from Leno over the years. He's more vibrant. More edgy. Adding George Lopez to the mix and the pickings are slimmer.

Conan is the only chance to get back that under 40 demographic that the NBC needs at 11. If Leno gets the spot back, it will work for a few months but when people realize that it's the same joke bits they saw for the last 15 years, they leave. And they will have sent off their best ace, so the old man, who said he was retiring, could have his last hurrah. Way to Freaking go NBC!

January 7, 2010 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  101. Sarah

Booo! Jay's show was getting low ratings because no one wants to watch it. I can't believe they're moving Conan, who is consistently interesting and hilarious. Bad call, NBC.

January 7, 2010 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  102. Kirby Marie

Jay Leno is a really good guy , and I think he is so hilarious and witty. I actually think his new show is a lot better that his old tonight show, it's a bit more orignal. Not that my opinon matters, but I hope Jay stays around for a long time! Im rootin for you Jay

January 7, 2010 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  103. Tree

The Leno show is the future of free broadcast TV. Low cost( to produce) entertainment. In TV's future, you get wehat you pay for.

January 7, 2010 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  104. MIchelle

I have stopped watching NBC in this time slot .. If the goal was to be in last place ... Mission Accomplished .

January 7, 2010 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  105. J-Bone

>>>"NBC's in fourth place," Leno told CNN in September. "You can't do any worse."<<<

Has he looked at the ratings? His show finishes behind cable shows.

January 7, 2010 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
  106. nique

As I have been progressively less and less able to stay up, TV has met me half way, moving late night talk earlier. thanks for catering to an old fart like me.

January 7, 2010 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
  107. Carlito Lomibao

Jay Leno, with or without a script, is the funniest among the present batch of talk show host. Period.

January 7, 2010 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  108. RedLion

Leno is washed up and is simply not funny. He's worse than Jimmy Fallon. Letterman was always better, and now Conan and Craig Ferguson are both leagues ahead of Leno. He should be cancelled.

January 7, 2010 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  109. Linda

And if you're up late like me – Craig Ferguson is hysterically funny. He's on as 12:30. Oh heck I like em all. Leno at 10 – Letterman at 11:30 and Craig at 12:30. They all make me laugh so I can think happy thoughts day end.

January 7, 2010 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  110. Nashvilledeb

Can you say "Craig Ferguson??" Talk about the BEST!

January 7, 2010 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  111. Canuckboy

Leno is a wonderful comedian because he is sensitive to what others like to hear and he is in tune with his audience and the common person. I saw him live a couple of years ago. His ad lib wit and intelligence in person are remarkable. He strikes me as a nice guy. Letterman is not sensitive to his audience and gives me the impression of thinking he is better than everyone else; Conan's facial and body gestures I find to be very irritating and cheapish and they grossly – for me- take away from what is occasionally a good joke. Why Leno gave it up (time slot) for Conan is beyond my comprehension. If Conan was threatening to leave, let him go.

January 7, 2010 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  112. Bill

Jay Leno is about as funny as a shoe or plate of rice. HYSTERICAL!!!!

This guy is not only NOT FUNNY, but he probably has the worst interview skills of any host of any show in the history of television. He can stop even the simplest flow of communication dead in its tracks with his inane asides and flubbering attempts at wit. Dude sucks and needs banned.

January 7, 2010 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  113. LA Girl

TMZ is now reporting that NBC is moving Leno to 11:30 for either a 30 minute show or 60 minute show. If it is 30 min, then Conan will follow. If it is 60 min, then Conan will probably be removed.

I don't know if this is true but I have begun to realize that most of TMZ's reporting ends up being accurate and faster then everyone else in the media. If true, I will miss Leno at 10 but am happy he gets back to 11:30. I tried Conan but couldn't get into him. Don't care much for Letterman.

January 7, 2010 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  114. Tarra

Leno sucks. Why NBC decided to give him is one show for an entire hour is beyond me. They seriously don't understand that people are over him. He's 60 minutes of wasted prime time.

January 7, 2010 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  115. Linda Davis

I love the Jay Leno Show: I run to the t.v. every night at ten to make sure I don't miss it. I love his opening monologues as whatever is going on through the day he has a funny slant on it. He is a great comedian – I love it when things make him giggle. He's a great interviewer. I love this show . It is excellent. He also has great hair.

January 7, 2010 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  116. Johnny

TMZ has Leno moving back to 9:30... no word on Conan. This is in line with these comments, too. NBC says they're keeping Leno but addressing the affiliate problems...

January 7, 2010 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  117. Brian

TMZ is reporting that Jay will be going back to the 11:30 timeslot and either having his show be 30 min followed by Conan, or having Jay be an hour and letting Conan go altogether.

January 7, 2010 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  118. David

I have stood next to Mr. Leno on a couple of occasions. While the man's head is enormous, his body is very trim and fit and he's a smallish guy. Don't be fooled by the distorted, unflattering images on TV.

January 7, 2010 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  119. Koa Kai

I really like Jay Leno but this new format isn't as funny. Some segments are overly scripted....like the live satelite interviews. It's painfully obvious that the answers were pre-written, poorly rehearsed so the delivery is quite bad and unfunny. Seems like he has different writers now?

January 7, 2010 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  120. Andy

Leno is great – it gives me something to watch from 10 to 11. I usually watch it once or twice a week...I'm not really cool, but I have some social life and can't watch it 5 days a week. But still, it's funny.

January 7, 2010 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  121. Bre

Jay Leno was good as a host on the Tonight Show, but definitely screwed Conan over big time undercutting the Tonight Show with his own. Leno's new show is generic, which is probably why a lot of people tend think it's tasty like they would McDonald's. It's cheap and doesn't require too much thought to consume. Conan is more of a good meal in a nice restaurant. You get the whole ambiance of sitting down and actually being intellectually stimulated and engaged when watching Conan. But why go to a nice restuarant if you fill yourself up with fast food right before? That's what NBC did to Conan, and in the end, everyone will lose.

January 7, 2010 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  122. Pats

Now we know why NBC is in 4th place and sets the standard for mediocrity.

January 7, 2010 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  123. Theresa

I agree w Barbara
    I love Jay but thought he was coming back only once a week
    Dont watch any of the late night shows now but may check out Kimmel

January 7, 2010 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  124. Keith

Jay Leno seems bored to me.

January 7, 2010 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  125. superdude

Basically Leno is for the dumb "average" viewer that doesn't really have any sort of criteria for what they watch on television beyond familiarity and accessibility.

Conan and Letterman (to varying degrees) appeal to people who are most likely smarter and place a higher emphasis on the type of humor (unique, absurd, actually funny) that the shows actually have.

Jimmy Fallon has had some great moments thus far.

But basically late night television seems to be sort of doomed. I think we're all missing the larger point here.

January 7, 2010 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  126. jernell

I want my LAW & ORDER shows back, I hate the Jay Leno show, one day a week maybe, but 5 days, what a waste of maoney

January 7, 2010 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  127. FL gal

My husband and I love watching Jay at 10:00. Keep it on!! I would HATE to see another stupid reality show or god forbid another crime or hospital drama show on in this slot. It's refreshing to have a talk show with comedy on before the news. Thanks NBC!!!

January 7, 2010 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  128. george NJ

he screws up more jokes than any other comedian star due to his dislexia. he's not cutting edge anymore, his heyday is over. work your 2nd love jay–your cars!! if robin willims had a talk show, he would leave all the late night funnies combined in the dust.

January 7, 2010 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  129. B. Pettingill

Keep Leno. We love watching him and he is by far the best late night talk show host. BAR NONE!

January 7, 2010 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  130. F O U R

Leno fans are squares.

I had to use a word they could understand.

January 7, 2010 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
  131. RS1981

I like Jay Leno, but the one thing that bugs me is when he does Headlines on Mondays, he moved it toward the end of the program. By the time that I remember it's on towards the end (usually I'm watching but doing something else while watching), I completely miss it. Jay for pete's sake please put it back on before you bring your guests out. I hate to miss headlines, because they're always so entertaining.

January 7, 2010 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
  132. Sam

Those who think Leno is funny are the types of people who only laugh when told to. They have to be told something is funny. Leno's humor requires no thought whatsoever on the part of the audience. I'm not saying that's bad, it's just the kind of "humor" that I would have enjoyed in elementary school, but not since I've been an adult.

January 7, 2010 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
  133. scott

TMZ does seem to have the story and he's going to be back – cant wait.

January 7, 2010 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  134. Pete

What worked at 11:35 doesn't work at 10:00 for some reason. It all seems too hectic, too loud. Used to watch every night, now it' a sometimes thing. Wouldn't watch Conan under any circumstance. Letterman was always a better interviewer but Leno's monologue was always better.

January 7, 2010 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  135. Chris

It sucks pull it already, bring back the Prime Time Slot and put good shows on.

January 7, 2010 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  136. JK

Jay's show is great TV. I was not really a fan until seeing his old show taped live in Burbank and have been a fan ever since. The new format is great, it just needs to find it's place. Give it time, I hope he sticks around for years and years to come. Go JAY!

January 7, 2010 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  137. barbara

Love him, but, every night is a little much...

January 7, 2010 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  138. Suzanne

Long Live Jimmy Kimmel–the BEST host, with the BEST monologue, in both content and delivery, the BEST ideas, the BEST sidekicks, and the FUNNIEST late-night content!!!! He appears totally at ease at all times, even when things are going sour; he has the most rapport with the widest collection of guests, be they film stars or basketball players. His bits with Mike Tyson, especially in the film they did as a send-off of that stupid R Kelly opera, were hilarious. He knows how to tell a joke. All the other late-night hosts absolutely pale in comparison. And he knows how to let his guests shine. He sits there at his desk while they talk and seems to genuinely enjoy them.

January 7, 2010 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  139. Larry Barnes

I watch Leno and enjoy him, except when one of the CNNs is opposite him. I also think Conan is good. Letterman needs a good tough producer like SNLs Micheals to shape him up.

January 7, 2010 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  140. Big Heb

Jay's show stinks...

Kevin Eubanks grunts and groans, his half laughs and pathetic attempts to insert dialog don't help, I don't know why Jay didn't get a new sideman for this show..

Jay's show is concoction of prearranged skits and video clips that do not fit together to form a cohesive show...

You get the feeling that Jay shows up to segway the bits and pcs. of ths show and that he is just no in to it...

I'll be suprised if he lasts another 6 months...

January 7, 2010 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
  141. russell

NBC has a line up of unscripted tv for 5 straight hours on Tuesdays and Fridays. Ridiculous.

January 7, 2010 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  142. Bob

I have to tell ya, I went through Leno withdraws last summer. He's the funniest of them all. How anyone can say that Letterman or Conan are funny is beyond me because they are not! Not even a little bit!. I do however wished that Leno did not leave the Tonight Show but that's alright. Besides Leno, his band (Kevin and crew) are the best. I'm glad they all came along with Leno for the prime time show.

January 7, 2010 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  143. bd

NBC checked out in 2007. They are 4th for a reason. 3rd rock holds that station.

the New Leno show blows – and NBC is the most moring network with zero shows after 10pm

January 7, 2010 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  144. LBW

Why did he leave the Tonight Show in the first place? I thought he was tired of TV. He's made more money than he will ever spend and he went out on a good note. Now he might or might not get canceled and his popularity is going down.

January 7, 2010 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  145. D

They took the same EXACT show, put it an hour earlier, and these mental midgets think they are getting something new. Amazing and really sad commentary on my fellow Americans. They stabbed Conan in the back with this overrated hack and the only reason the show is even on, is b/c NBC is so lost and broken in terms of programming, this is the only thing they have left. I swear some of you people could sit and watch paint dry just b/c its on TV.

January 7, 2010 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  146. Mike Dywat

Are you kidding me? Leno is a hack! He steals all his bits. The Green Car Challenge? Watch BBC's "Top Gear". Taken directly from there. "Jay Walking" and "Earn Your Plug", taken directly from Howard Stern (not to mention a BuncH of other stuff). There is nothing compelling about what he does. The network affiliates are screaming to have him removed because he ruins their lead-in to their big money maker, the 11:00 PM news. The network execs. are kicking themselves but can't remove him which would be a tacid admission of poor decision making on their parts.

January 7, 2010 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  147. Mary

I miss Leno being on later at night. I've watched it on prime time but it's just not the same and as far as Conan goes, he's just too silly and very boring. I say put Leno back on late night and cancel Conan.

January 7, 2010 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  148. William

The show started out badly and hasn't recovered. It seems like they took away all of the good writers and talent coordinators and assigned them to somewhere else and left him with a lousy second rate team. How else could he get so bad so fast?

January 7, 2010 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  149. bmsvds

Leno has always been terribly scripted which makes it a bore. Always a punch line. Wouldn't surprise me if he used laugh tracks.

January 7, 2010 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  150. conando

Conan is the MAN!! You will now bow to him.

January 7, 2010 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  151. AML66

Of course NBC management is happy, since the cost per episode of "Leno" is a fraction of scripted prime-time shows. No matter that they are losing viewers right and left as they take the "cheap" road. That's why the network is in 4th place and will stay there until they put their money into real programming.

January 7, 2010 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  152. John Berggren

NBC really needs to consider killing this show, or at least limiting it's playtime. 5 nights a week siphoning an hour from scripted primetime is a mistake, plain and simple. It will do nothing but cement NBC's 4th place status... that is until the CW takes that away from them.

January 7, 2010 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  153. Nancy

I was raised to believed that commenting on another person's appearance was in very poor taste. Jay Leno is a very handsome, articulate and well mannered gentleman. I think that he handled Jullian Michaels comments tactfully. She appeared to be out of her element on his show, acting silly, simple, and a bit rough around the edges.

January 7, 2010 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  154. Thank You, NBC!!!

SOOOOOO happy to hear this!!!

I just wouldn't know what to do without my Jay Leno fix!!!! Of all the "late night" show and hosts, Jay Leno has the most integrity, class and humor than any of them. Keep up the wonderful work you do on . . . and off . . . the air, Jay!!! WE LOVE YOU!!!

January 7, 2010 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  155. Jon Skillings

Leno is by far the funniest late night host by any measure. Why people even think Conan "the idiot" O'Brian is the least bit funny has mystified me ever since I first saw him do a show. NBC should fire Conan and replace him with Leno, not the other way around.

January 7, 2010 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  156. Scott

I think its pathetic the way he couldn't step down and let Connan have his moment. The slot should be used for a good scripted show. NBC gives the ax to wonderfuls shows like Journeyman and Studio60 On the Sunset Strip and then tries to feed us this tripe? No wonder they are in last place.

January 7, 2010 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
  157. Bob P

Is it just me, or is the show not nearly as entertaining as it was at the late night time.

January 7, 2010 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
  158. Jenny

Low rating? I love watching Jay every night. It makes my night complete and I even get to bed at a reasonable time.

January 7, 2010 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  159. Jeff

Leno should rightly stay, and Conan should be cancelled.

January 7, 2010 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  160. Matt

Leno is consistently one of the most unfunny people on television, what makes it even worse is a lot of what he does is scripted which means he employs many unfunny writers as well.

January 7, 2010 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  161. Marie MD

My family started watching the show (not as good as late night, but it had it's moments) then he had limberger as a guest, for some inexplicable reason, and we stopped watching altogether.

Same thing happened with oprah and the quitter. No more ms. billionaire in our house on TV.

January 7, 2010 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  162. Chad Bushnell

I like the new Leno show – seems to have more freedom to take chances, not the same old thing. I'll take Leno over any other late night talk show, including the third grade dope, Letterman.

January 7, 2010 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  163. brenda

What was Jillian Michaels saying when she stated Jay needed a "lot" of work physically? She seemed to say he was severely overweight and out of shape...so totally not true!!!!!

January 7, 2010 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |