January 6th, 2010

Mariah, Clint, Morgan and Quentin hit Palm Springs

testing captions
testing captions

Any actor who has received a Golden Globe nod or a Screen Actors Guild Award nomination usually kicks off the season by heading to Palm Springs the first week of January.

They make the two-hour trek from Hollywood to the Palm Springs Film Festival Gala, and event that kicks off the 13-day festival where actors, directors and producers show up to be honored for their achievements in film throughout the year.

For several of the actors, it was their first time attending the gala. Among them: Anna Kendrick, who received the Rising Star Award for her work in "Up in the Air"; Helen Mirren of "The Last Station," who finally got the Career Achievement Award; and  Jeremy Renner, who picked up the Breakthrough Actor Award for his compelling work in the acclaimed film "The Hurt Locker."

And it's hard to believe that Quentin Tarantino hadn't been honored at this festival before; he received the Sonny Bono Visionary Award presented to him by Academy Award-winning screenwriter Diablo Cody.

Of course, seasoned vets like Morgan Freeman, Clint Eastwood and Ivan Reitman showed up as well. Clint even joked that he had to show up to support his buddy Freeman, and that they're "always together and up to no good."

But the night belonged to Mariah Carey, who showed up around 6:20 p.m. - when the gala was supposed to start at 6.  She was literally the last star to walk the red carpet before going inside to accept her Breakthrough Performance Award for her work in "Precious: Based on the Novel 'Push' by Sapphire." She showed up sans husband Nick Cannon and was dressed to the nines in a dazzling gown that was so tight it looked painted on. When asked how it feels to have the spotlight on her for something other than her singing and her personal life, she grinned and said, "It's an amazing time in my life right now."

Despite not having much luck with prior films, Carey said she had always wanted to do good movies. She believes that "Precious" director Lee Daniels got it right: "Lee got what I was trying to do."

But when asked about her scenes in the film with little or no makeup, and claims that she tried to sneak more makeup onto her face between scenes, Carey quickly set the record straight. She said that she was wearing makeup designed to make her look worse, as opposed to not wearing ANY makeup at all. She told me, "I'm mortified that people think that is my no-makeup look. ... I mean, I can go wash my face right now and show you what I look like without makeup!"

Hmm ... we'll pass, MC, and just turn the focus back on your solid performance right now.

« Previous entry
  1. Dave

I hate her tweety-bird vocal range nonsense but woot for the hooters. I bet she makes for a wild date.

January 8, 2010 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
  2. Arielle

Hello!? How about the part where she was drunk out of her mind at that awards ceremony. Guess we fail to mention that. Youtube it; she's smashed.

January 7, 2010 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Cowgirlamy

Let's get one thing straight- Mariah is NOT going to have a movie career. She was decent in a small role. WOW. She was horrendous in her other roles. What is truly embarassing for her is her current CD and tour- both bombing. Her CD didn't hit #1 and hasn't even sold 400,000 copies despite her doing heavy promo. She can barely sell out small 3,000 seat theaters. Why? Because she can't perform. She is terrible live. Just awful. Poor thing isn't going to have much of a film career either. If she thinks so she is sadly mistaken!

January 7, 2010 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Krissy

I agree that people are a bit harsh toward her; but even I have to admit that her behavior as of late has been rather bizarre...the acceptance speeches were a bit painful to watch!

January 7, 2010 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |
  5. rasabu

What is the hatred toward Mariah really about? Do people hear themselves when they write something. Sounds like some folks who wrote here have issues of their own they need to work on, so they should leave Mariah alone. What is the difference whether Mariah can still sing or not., whether she is sensitive to the issue of wearing make-up or not. Get a life folks. Better yet, get some counseling to deal with your venom.

January 7, 2010 at 2:23 am | Report abuse |
  6. Rachel

Come on, you guys. You ALL know that Mariah can still sing! Give me a break!!!

I'd like to see all YOU try and sing like her! She still has what it takes, and is one of the best singers of all time.

So she lets her hair down. Big deal. I invite all of you to stand in front of the mirror without any makeup and tell me what YOU see! I can bet... you won't look anything remotely beautiful as Mariah does without makeup. Even makeup applied to make her look worse, is a view most of us would dream to look like.

Mariah has guts and class. Period.

January 6, 2010 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
  7. jessica doran

Mariah needs to continue acting because her voice is totally gone–her performances at the Obama inauguration, Michael Jackson's memorial and on the George Lopez Tonight show were horrendous.....and everytime she sounds bad they say "she was emotional", "she had a cold"....no the truth is,"she just can't sing anymore"
    Jessica

January 6, 2010 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
  8. rick

sounds like she's a little touchy about being seen a'natural'

January 6, 2010 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Charlie Morgan

riah Carey is talented for real!
    Your songs I love for real.
    I Don't doubt that.
    And M.Freeman I very much liked you playing Alm8ty in the movies
    You made my day! L'o'l Wow. You must be a mastertalented one. Blessings to you all That exist in my lifetime. I hope you all are Happy with the things you accomplish!
    I will memorize this. You all actors do add in deed+ words +action
    wonderful things to history, you outta know
    that ! To act and enlighten ppl about the issues of life, natural problems
    that is caused by humans (we need to learn how to put certain things together to heal the nature not only taking things for granted) certainly must find some way, Blessings to All.

January 6, 2010 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Leo

Awesome Mariah! You did an excellent job. I love how people comment just to spread hatred.

January 6, 2010 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
  11. mike

Maria who?....Is she still trying to hang on?

January 6, 2010 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  12. H

I've had it up to here with Mariah's high-pitched squawk of utter nonsense... Diva – go home and work on your octive range!

January 6, 2010 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  13. lex

So another "actress" who only wins an award if she doesn't wear makeup.

January 6, 2010 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |