January 5th, 2010

Kevin Bacon's six degrees of kindness

testing captions
testing captions

Movie trivia fans like me have long enjoyed the "Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon" game, connecting seemingly every actor in Hollywood history to Bacon in just a few films.

Lesser known is his Web site sixdegrees.org, which makes it just as easy to connect with nearly two million different charities.  Potential donors can search for specific causes or organizations, learn about groups they may not have known about, and find out which celebs are supporting what charities.  The site lists assets, revenues and expenses for every group, rating its efficiency and its organization ... even how much the head of each charity is paid.

The site has done so well connecting donors and volunteers with charities that Bacon is set to receive the Joel Siegel Award from the Broadcast Film Critics Association this year.  Meryl Streep, who starred with Bacon in "The River Wild" (one degree!), will present the honor at the Critics' Choice Movie Awards on January 15.

Most people want to give to charity, but even when you have money to spare in these tight times, it can be frustrating figuring out how to make sure your donations have as much impact as possible.  This site makes that a lot easier.  Kudos, Kevin and company.

1. Joel T.

"Thank you sir, May I have another!!!"
    "Thank you sir, may I have another!!!"
    "THANK YOU SIR – MAY I HAVE ANOTHER!!!"

K.B. in "Animal House"

Such skill, such comedic timing, a true legend in the making.

All kidding aside... Keep doing what you do Kevin. The world needs more folks like you.

January 7, 2010 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Alice

Kevin Bacon is amazing. I have the utmost respect for him as an actor, and as a person. Despite problems of his own, he still thinks of those in need.

January 7, 2010 at 12:17 am | Report abuse |
  3. Jane

Why is one eye all buldgy and the other half shut???? Wierd!

January 6, 2010 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  4. LIN CHAN

Kevub Bacon he is a great honor and Diamond heart. And Jolie Angelina also , she has a big Diamond 's heart . All Americans people , yes they do have a Diamond's heart. United State of America is the Heaven . I don't ask or want to be A Millionaire I can come to USA this is already my Heaven. I am one of very Lucky that can come and lived in USA Country. ( LIN from South Vietnam )
    Wish you all have " THE BEST "
    LIN NGUYEN

January 6, 2010 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  5. persiforfrazer

What makes his generosity even more altruistic is that hewas involved in losing money in the Madolf scandel if I remember correctly....truly a wonderful human being...both husband and wife

January 6, 2010 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  6. dworm

Everything's better with Bacon!

January 6, 2010 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  7. DLC-Okie

Also, don't forget that the Bacons lost a lot of their money to Madoff. Rumors were that he left them almost broke.

January 6, 2010 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Diane Sparkles

Yay Kevin! This is a great honor for him. I agree, he needs some major acting awards, too. He is so talented and can play such a variety of roles. And on top of that he is a very talented song writer and fronts a rockin band... the Bacon Brothers. I get to see them play when they come to the DC area and it is always a good time! Check them out on MySpace, Facebook or at baconbros.com you won't be disappointed!

January 6, 2010 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Lisa

Trite or not, the mention of this website will cause me to go there and look it over. From there who knows? Now if a couple of thousand people saw this article or will see Bacon on the awards show and go to this same site and decide to donate what has been accomplished? A lot! Kudos to Kevin & Kyra!

January 6, 2010 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Maggie

S2eQ, there are times when I'd like to know which star supports which charity so I can decide if I want to continue supporting that star's lifestyle by viewing their movies or purchasing products they endorse. To those which much is given, much is expected. As you pointed out, Kevin Bacon didn't invent this idea, however I find this is an interesting public marketing campaign.

I appreciate you adding to your comment information about other sites about charitable giving. I plan to hit those sites to make an informed decision about where I donate.

January 6, 2010 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
  11. louee

S2eQ, I don't think I've ever read such a sour grapes comment about a good news article. As a fundraiser, you should be glad someone is trying to do something positive with his fame. You really give me a pain.

January 6, 2010 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
  12. Tophat

S2eq...
    I find your comments "trite"! in the middle of all this positive energy, you found it necessary to ruin it by throwing a bucket of cold water on it. Go blog on one of those other negative sites...

January 6, 2010 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
  13. Carole

S2eQ....I have not seen anything written or rumored on MSNBC, CNN, Fox, my state newspaper or my local newspaper about your many kindnesses or your contributions to society or charities. Did I just miss it that day? I'll bet you are a great fundraiser with a positive attitude and loved by all.

January 6, 2010 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
  14. Peggy

@S2eQ: I can't believe that you begrudge this honor for Kevin Bacon.

January 6, 2010 at 10:09 am | Report abuse |
  15. RS1981

I've been a fan of Kevin's for years, and I've been a fan of his wife Kyra's since I saw her in the 90s. Both are good people with great hearts, and they know what's important in life "Helping those less fortunate" Kevin I'm glad to see that you'll be getting this award. Your wife and kids must be so proud of you. Congrats !

January 6, 2010 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
  16. Marcos Dinnerstein

To S2eQ: While you may be right that focussing on a celebrity's charity interests may be trite it overlooks the fact that there are a lot of "trite" people out there. There are plenty of people who happily read these articles and then base their charitable giving on what they read there. Is this a bad thing? Perhaps it is in that it skews what we focus on towards the interests of celebrities. But I think that this is preferable to the media not writing about charities at all and let's not kid ourselves, there won't be a mad rush to read an article titled, "Top 20 Most Efficient Charities in 2009". There has to be a "hook" to draw people in and celebrities can effectively play in prompting charitable giving.

January 6, 2010 at 9:03 am | Report abuse |
  17. Debra R

Kevin is a rare combination...excellent actor (if underrated), talented musician, and big hearted human being. Thank you Kevin!

re: S2eQ: you appearently have never had a fundraiser in which you advertised a celebrity of some sort? Having worked for a charity for years as a volunteer, celebrities, including local newscasters, hometown heros, etc. bring attention to the cause you are raising $$ for and the connections to be made can also lead to more successful fundraisers...the whole idea is to raise $$$ for your cause and build a network so you can help more people.

January 6, 2010 at 8:29 am | Report abuse |
  18. Cecilia Lewis

to: S2eQ – I have also been a fundraiser and volunteer coordinator and in all my years of working for non-profits have I never encountered such a condesending or misinformed person in my life as you.

I recommend, for the good of the non profit you work for, that you retire

you ask who the frak cares about actor endorsement? everyone should care. the more support from recognizable people, the greater the financial support.

I could go on and on about how damaging your remarks could be, but suffice it to say...... non-profits need help, especially now, no one needs your hostility. THANKS TO ALL OF YOU WHO GIVE

January 6, 2010 at 7:55 am | Report abuse |
  19. Jay

Kevin is a very decent man, wonderful husband and father, one of the good guys. How lucky his wife and kids are. Wish I could find a loyal decent man like this. How did his wife get so lucky! A great actor too, I am surprised he hasn't gotten an Oscar yet. Hopefully soon. An asset to the world you are, Kevin!

January 6, 2010 at 4:47 am | Report abuse |
  20. Warren

S2eQ – there may already be "many websites like guidestar.com or charity navigator that extend information about MANY more organizations and provide just as in depth information (if not more) about how your money is best used at each organization," but what Kevin Bacon does is help bring some of these sites to the masses.

I wouldn't be so negative and gripe about "he's not the first" and "who cares about which stars support which non-profits...". Put a positive spin on it and realize they do what you can't – help to bring the issue to people who wouldn't typical care.

January 6, 2010 at 3:08 am | Report abuse |
  21. Tom Joad

S2eQ, if you are a fundraiser for charities, you might try being a little more charitable. Kevin and his wife Kara are using their celebrity for a good purpose – good for them! (and, they are both good and under-appreciated actors.)

January 6, 2010 at 2:01 am | Report abuse |
  22. S2eQ

As a fundraiser, I find this article to be trite. There are already many websites like guidestar.com or charity navigator that extend information about MANY more organizations and provide just as in depth information (if not more) about how your money is best used at each organization. Kevin Bacon isn't the first to come up with this idea. Additionally, who the frak cares about which stars support which non-profit – most non-profits are successful for what they do with the dollars they collect, not how much attention is brought to them by actors.

January 6, 2010 at 12:30 am | Report abuse |
  23. mmmmm Bacon

Bacon makes everything great !

January 5, 2010 at 11:46 pm | Report abuse |
  24. ANTIETAM

I am not a movie fan and care nothing about actors, but KB appears a better sort. Therefore, I will go to see his movies.

January 5, 2010 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Rusting

Surely this man shall enter into Heaven for his generous contributions over many years. If more of us could join in giving to those who are desperately in need of help we would be living in a etter world.
    Kudos to Kevin!!!

January 5, 2010 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Holly

I just want to echo what David said. I too live in Philadelphia and was proud to see Bacon, a fellow Philadelphian, step up to help the Mummers. When he and his brother strutted to the Mummers' march, I was filled with pride. Thanks to the Bacon brothers for helping to keep a very important tradition alive.

January 5, 2010 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse |
  27. sunshine

I have always been a fan of Kevin. He is just one great guy and his wife is just as wonderful. They are perfect for each other.

January 5, 2010 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse |
  28. WHTLION

Kevin Bacon you deserve this award and kudos to you and Kyra for having such kind loving souls.

January 5, 2010 at 7:41 pm | Report abuse |
  29. David

I live in Philadelphia, Kevin's hometown also. This year Kevin and his brother donated their time and effort and money to help save a Philadelphia tradition – The Mummers Parade. This New Years Day Philadelphians were able to enjoy the 110th Mummers Parade. I (along with many other Philadelphians) are very thankful for the generosity of the Bacon Brothers.

January 5, 2010 at 7:21 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Jill DRNA

Kevin's 6 Degrees award allowed us financial stability to take on far more dogs and more complex injuries and illnesses that we would have ever otherwise been able to afford at this point in our history. We've been extremely frugal with the money but continue to grow every year. It was definitely a turning point for us and what a cool lesson in networking! Thanks Kevin and Kyra!

January 5, 2010 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Gin1109

Kevin, u R-O-C-K !!! Happy New Year to U & ur Family

January 5, 2010 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Brian whittaker

He's not only a great guy, but a good musician too!
    Check out him and his brother on "Live From Daryl's House" on the web,
    good singing, good playing.

January 5, 2010 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
  33. John

mmm bacon

January 5, 2010 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
  34. deanna1

I have always liked Kevin Bacons acting but, I'm not sure why he's always overlooked when the awards roll around. To me, he's far superior to say...Tom Cruise, who plays the same role over and over again. I hope soon Hollywood will wake up and see 'real talent'. Kevin you're one of the best!

January 5, 2010 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Memphis Slim

Thanks for some pleasant, good news!

January 5, 2010 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  36. therisious

He should be awarded as an actor also. He's one of the best!

January 5, 2010 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Dan

I think it's amazing how he and his wife continue to do so much charitable work . They lost a great deal in investment money due to the Madoff ponzi scheme and still show their gratitude and giving through their organization. Kudos Kevin and Kyra!!

January 5, 2010 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Christie

I think that is wonderful. It is always nice to read/see when people in the entertainment community do something for those less fortunate.

January 5, 2010 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Lynn

As the father of a US Army soldier that died in Afghanistan I will be eternally grateful to Mr. Bacon and the entire cast of the movie
    Taking Chance. The diginity and care that was expressed in the movie was the most realistic portrayl of the actual events that take place that I have ever seen.

I will keep a special place in my heart forever to the entire cast and crew.

Semper Fi

January 5, 2010 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  40. LaBellaLuna

anole – Read the article again – this isn't about Meryl Streep – it's about Kevin Bacon.

January 5, 2010 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
  41. LaBellaLuna

I love Kevin Bacon. In my book he is one of the most talented people on earth, but unfortunately, one of the least appreciated during awards season. I'm happy he is being recognized for his charitable work, hopefully recognition for his acting will follow and he'll receive a little gold man.

January 5, 2010 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  42. anole

I can't wait for it, Meryl is always so amazing

January 5, 2010 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Alex!~

I Really admire Kevin Bacon and his wife Kara for their unassuming and Generous Lifestyle!

January 5, 2010 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |