January 4th, 2010

Shirtless - but not 'untouchable' - Tiger in Vanity Fair

testing captions
testing captions

Over the last few months we’ve seen many sides of Tiger Woods as he’s gone from untouchable pro golfer to weekly tabloid fodder. Now, thanks to Vanity Fair, to the world is seeing another side of Tiger: shirtless.

In a photo spread that was shot before the scandal broke, photographer Annie Leibovitz said she tried to capture Woods as the “intensely competitive athlete” he is for the magazine’s February issue.

“I wanted to reveal that in these photos. And to show his incredible focus and dedication,” Leibovitz said.

Unfortunately, those pictures - including the cover shot of a bare-chested, stoic Tiger lifting weights - will have to speak more than 1,000 words, because Tiger himself isn’t talking.

“Friday Night Lights” author Buzz Bissinger recounts the golfer’s fall from grace by taking a closer look at the man behind the endorsements.

Woods, Bissinger writes, is “the age-old clash of image versus reality. He deluded himself into thinking he could be something that he wasn’t: untouchable. The greatest feat of his career is that he managed to get away with it for so long in public, the bionic man instead of the human one who hit a fire hydrant.”

The full essay with Leibovitz’s photos will be on newsstands nationwide next Tuesday.

1. Best WiFi Extender

I'm really impressed with your writing abilities as smartly as with the layout on your blog. Is that this a paid theme or did you customize it your self? Anyway keep up the nice quality writing, it is rare to see a great weblog like this one today..

April 25, 2012 at 7:25 am | Report abuse |
  2. geld verdienen op internet

I'm now not positive the place you're getting your info, but great topic. I must spend some time learning much more or working out more. Thanks for excellent info I was looking for this info for my mission.

April 19, 2012 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
  3. why be healthy

Its like you learn my mind! You seem to understand a lot approximately this, like you wrote the ebook in it or something. I feel that you can do with a few p.c. to pressure the message house a bit, but instead of that, that is wonderful blog. An excellent read. I'll definitely be back.

April 19, 2012 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Aicha

iiickkkkkk

August 7, 2011 at 10:57 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Peltier Cooler

married life is of course a very happy life, all you need to do is find some happiness deep inside yourself *'.

December 14, 2010 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Zachary Graham

married life is a bit exciting but you will have lots of responsibilities.:-*

July 26, 2010 at 12:23 am | Report abuse |
  7. Lynn

Yes, everyone makes mistakes, but when you sell yourself to the public as this great guy who is a family man, you better behave like one! An affair is one thing, but multiple affairs and bad behavior is another. Clearly he couldn't live up to his "brand." I don't know if it was his PR people, his father or him, who built this "image", but it is clearly not how he wanted to live his life. Like most people who are loved and adored by millions of people, who are told how wonderful they are all the time, and have all these women throwing themselves at you. It's clear that his ego finally got in the way! He started to believe his own press and think he could do anything he wanted without ever getting caught. His taste in women is suspect, so he's lucky it was kept quiet for as long as it was.

His wife? I'm not sure how much she knew (if anything) beforehand, but his kids certainly are innocents in all this. I just wish people who cheat would think about their kids before they do it. It really affects them for life. It's sad. Hopefully he'll be a good dad even if him and his wife divorce. Which looks pretty inevitable. Even if she wanted to; how do you deal with that type of public humilation? I know people will say..money...but she gets that either way.

January 6, 2010 at 1:00 am | Report abuse |
  8. juicey blueberry

Thats just a bad photo..doesnt do him justice at all, its all about money the mag wants to draw in people to buy it and if he looks like a bad boy on the cover people want to see what its all about, Lots of guys look the same way when they workout, its meant to look tough. But I dont really care about what Tigers up to, its so over rated...bye bye

January 5, 2010 at 11:14 pm | Report abuse |
  9. SickofTiger

Wow...more Tiger than we really needed. He looks like he is about to bust out of the big house. What an awful cover. Can't believe the private Tiger would let this go to market.

January 5, 2010 at 7:41 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Frank

Well what can one say.....Let us just move on. His marriage is over his ex will get her share and he will still have plenty. Eventually this will all be forgotten,and forgiven, and he will have a whole new image of bad boy. Amazing that he was protected as long as he was by the press and his hanger ons. Everyone makes mistakes.

January 5, 2010 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Laura

Wow, that is NOT an attractive body at all. Pathetic.....

January 5, 2010 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Keet

Tiger is human people. Although he has made some extremely bad decisions he is still human. Everyone is saying that he is this monster because he cheated on his wife. Well you know what 48% of males in relationships have cheated on their spouse or partner. Reality is he is the greatest golfer that we have come across in ages. I am not saying that the man should not be ashamed of what he done but it is truly not our reponsibility to judge him. I honestly thinks she was waiting on something like this to happen so she can get a GWOP of money. She was and full time nanny and a part time commercial model. She is just trying to make some money off of this man. How many you have doing things right now that you are not proud of? I still support Tiger and will always support him as an incredible athelete. I hope that everyone stops being the judge and jury for this man.

January 5, 2010 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
  13. manoutnumbrd

Here's the "jist" of all of the comments both negative and positive. Tiger fans will always be just that....Tiger Fans. He's a heeluva shooter and that can't be denied. Anyone who wanted Tiger Woods to be their childs example...shame on you. YOU should be the only examples that your children. I saw where someone stated that Tiger would never be trusted again. I say Bull.....Just like before no one besides the ones that he dates will trust him less. He did nothing wrong to anyone but himself and his wife. His mistresses were/are just that....mistresses and they all knew it going in. While I would never desecrate that little piece of paper that says that I'm forever attached you should all know, both men and women alike, that what he did, while wrong, is something that most of you fantasize about throughout much of your married life and some of you have already tested. Had he been Joe Blow not one person in a hundred would have known anything about it. Lay off and let he and his family either work this out or move on. It's old news now.

January 5, 2010 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Tasha

When I look at him I get the same feeling I had in college when I returned to my dorm room and could smell that my roomie had hours of sex with her smelly boyfriend. YUCK.

Tiger is not attractive to me.

VF used to be a great magazine (had a subscription for 10 years) with class. Now it's become the TMZ of the publishing world, highlighting loser/washed-up narcissistic celebs who exploit their addictions and had behavior like a status symbol... a print venue for those who don't make it to loser spotlight shows like "I'm A Celebrity... Get Me Out Of Here" or "Dancing with the Stars."

January 5, 2010 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  15. just like elin

I know what she is going through(all too well) and I know what he is going through...none of it is easy but it doesn't change who he is. He is great at what he does and needs to come back. the golf channel can't help but show him playing...with out him golf is a silent game, he brought the attention and thunder to it and made it cool for all ages. His personal issues are stupid, and its funny how women are the ones rallying behind him more so than the men...some who pull/pulled the same stunts he has. I say Tiger come back, you need it as much as golf needs you. Just be a good dad, if that's all Elin will allow you to be.

January 5, 2010 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  16. jmf

seriously... So this is the new and improved Tiger? I'd rather go back to Frosted Flakes.

January 5, 2010 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  17. lex

Honestly, who would have expected the caramel ripples of his torso? Oh his cocktail waitresses!

January 5, 2010 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Mary Ann Hoogeveen

He needs to fire his PR people,they are not doing avery good job.He said he wanted his family back and to work on his marriage (image) He was sailing on his boat and doing the Palm Beach club scene with his girlfrind for Christmas.No wonder his wife and children went away for New Years.At this point , he doesn't seem to care what people think of him.

January 5, 2010 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  19. bluesy

i would have assumed he was a heckuva lot more cut, from how he looks with his shirt on. please put it back on.

i mean, clearly, you don't have to have a matthew mcconaughey bod to play golf, but if you're gonna take off your shirt, that's the tummy i'd rather see

January 5, 2010 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Realistic1

To "Larry "O" January 4th, 2010 7:04 pm ET

"TIger made a mistake so what, people do it in all walks of life. He still can play a mean golf game and that is what needs to be focused on"

No...what that man shaped pile of dog poo should do is focus on his family...not golf. This is what he should have been doing from the beginning. And for those of you who say his wife should forgive and he will learn his lesson, a man that cheats on his wife and treats his family this way this many times will not and does not want to change. It is sad that we as consumers still want a man/person like this be able to make all that money regardless of what it is his talent is. I hope he continues to wear the much deserved scarlet letter!

January 5, 2010 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Dale

None of us are perfect and we need to stop being so judgmental!

January 5, 2010 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  22. H McGee

Cool photo, as for role models, my mother always taught me, it's okay to want to be like Michael Jordan on the Basketball court, or rap like Tupac, but just cause these guys make alot of money & are famous doesn't automatically make them role models. Role models can be anyone, any good person who does good works, not make alot of money. It's up to your father & I to teach you right from wrong & teach you those life lessons. These rich famous folks should not be considered role models based on what they do in their field, but what they do as people, & never put them on a pedastal as they are flawed like the rest of us, only difference is they have bigger bank accounts. That has always stuck with me, & how I am raising my 12year old with the same values, so everytime these celebs make some mistake & fans get on TV demanding some sort of apology it makes me laugh. Tiger don't owe me jack, the only people he does owe one to is his sponsors & his family. What he does or Brittany Spears, or any celb does really doesn't affect me or my daughter's life. It's sad our society has this worship for no other reason other than the person is on TV or is famous, or rich. Well, I am not one of them, & if I do what I am supposed to do as a parent, nor will my daughter, soo all the girls with Nick shows can get pregnant all they want to, that's their parents & their sponsors problem.

January 5, 2010 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Eagle34

It all boils down to this, Golfers and future golfers should support and not forget the name of Tiger Woods. He changed the game from a financial stand point. If and when Tiger was playing in those tours, just his name alone was bringing in the big dollars. We all got skeletons dwelling in our closets, unfortunately, he and Vick's came out earlier than ours did. Like Vick did eventually, he maned-up took responsibility for his actions and still he is going to rise out of this dark moment. Believe me, if he does come back and I am praying he does, he's going to be even hungrier than he was before. His first name isn't Tiger for no reason.

January 5, 2010 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Kramer

Why do so many people try to come across like they have even a clue about this photo, article, or even the journalism/magazine industry? It's been said elsewhere but let me join the few voices of reality:
    1. It's not up to his PR people if it gets published.
    2. This was shot before the scandal broke.
    3. Since when does being photographed shirtless make you a gangster?
    4. Not every photo ever taken is photo shopped. You can light a photo shoot this way.
    5. Annie likes to shoot people from a polar perspective; thus the switch to a darker style.

January 5, 2010 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Agent

Steriods?? You gotta be kidding me. Steroids might help you hit the ball further but they don't help you make clutch putts. They don't help you to chip the ball better, or choose your shots better. You people who accuse Tiger of being on steroids are just looking for an excuse to hate.

January 5, 2010 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  26. CCLOWERY

FELDMAN- Are you CRAZY? You say Tiger is "lucky"? You don't win the Masters, the PGA , the World Open multiple times and the whole world in general by being lucky! Who cares that there are others coming? Just like Michael Jordan, anything that comes after him is just a player trying to reach an unobtainable status. There are only a handful of truly phenomenal atheletes and Tiger stands alone in his profession. Just like MJ stands alone as the greatest basketball player of this centry. Luck has nothing to do with it. Don't deny his talents because his stats and his greatness as a golfer ( plus how much a** he kicks when he's on the greens) will surely beg to differ.

January 5, 2010 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Agent

Elin was a nanny (babysitter) before she met Tiger. She is now the wife of a billionaire and set for life. Whether she stays or leaves she makes out, no matter what. So her husband cheated on her. It happens every day and most will not make out financially like she will. If weren't for Tiger she'd still be making $10 an hour . She should be grateful.

January 5, 2010 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Howard

Most 21 year olds have people demanding that they grow up. Pro sports turns 21 year olds into superstars, and then there isn't anyone to demand that they grow up. The wonder isn't that Tiger was being a playboy. The wonder is why we expected a 21 year old superstar to be as mature as millions of others who are reminded daily of their need for humility.

Yeah, Tiger needs to grow up, and so do a lot of the rest of us.

January 5, 2010 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  29. fer

Ewwwww!

January 5, 2010 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  30. ishir.com

When I hear about men or women breaking their vows it reminds me of the culture club song, "Karma Chameleon". What an apt song? Also we should change Tiger's name to "Cheetah" or the way i like to pronouce it as, Cheater.

January 5, 2010 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Roe

VANITY FAIR....What were you thinking? You could have stopped the press for the front cover....he definitely needed to wear a SHIRT.

January 5, 2010 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  32. one who keeps vows

There ARE honorable men who keep their vows. Yes, it's hard to show self-control, keep promises, put your family ahead of your immediate urges, and demonstrate personal integrity. But people do it, I am sure even some in the rarified strata of rich athletes. I thought Tiger was that guy. I was wrong. I used to root for him. Now I could care less what happens to him.

January 5, 2010 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  33. mitch

Going shirtless is not for everyone, sorry Tiger. Bright side, beauty is in the eye of the beholder (that means you). It is not your body that make you the person you are. It's your talent. Despite all the bad publicity you are still a wonderful golfer and I wish everyone would leave you alone. The world she be publicizing real news like what our gov't officials are doing with our tax dollars, what are they are doing about the world economic crises, etc. instead of publicizing our private lives. This is none of their business. People are quick to love you when you can make them money and quick to run away when you do something wrong. I wonder how many skeletons they have in their closet that no one knows about.

January 5, 2010 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  34. Tim Krell

And now there is further proof that Eldrick (Tiger) Woods has been abusing steroids since becoming a professional golfer! All the other tour pros have long known Tiger to be using steroids and the proof is finally coming out, let's see if the PGA will continue to turn a blind eye to this.

January 5, 2010 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  35. M

Tiger,

You are one little dumb SOB...for letting them stupid hos stiff you on the 6 and 9, but I still think you are the greatest golfer ever, and I love watching you play. You the man! And it will get better.

Sincerely,

Still a Female Fan in AZ

January 5, 2010 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
  36. ChickenLittle

Rehtea, wait a minute.....Tiger is Black??? I thought he was caublasian? I never once heard Tiger claim he was Black!!

January 5, 2010 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
  37. rmh

Everyone needs to get a life when it comes to men cheating. If people would get over it and move on things would be better off. She knew what type of man he was before they got married. Just get paid and move on and Tiger be happy with what u do.

January 5, 2010 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  38. mj

hurry put your shirt back on

January 5, 2010 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  39. Supercool

GROSS. Memo to Tiger: PUT YOUR SHIRT ON, AND HEAD TO THE NEAREST GYM ASAP

January 5, 2010 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
  40. mj

what the hell is on his mind that is gross he really does need to put his shirt back on and
    PLEASE hurry doing it im not near a tolit

January 5, 2010 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
  41. tkdmom

Even more scarier than this photo is....the man actually thought he could get away with his double life and be a public figure. All the lies and deceit come out in the end. Nobody is perfect. I heard an old proverb of what is done in secret will be shouted on the roof tops. Sounds like wisdom to me. My prayers are with the family, especially those kids. I hope Tiger can pull it together.

January 5, 2010 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  42. MsPreoccupied

Morally what Tiger did was wrong. Being such a young guy, and with the instant forturne (that he worked hard for), he had all sorts of people around him who were suppose to guard and protect him. In order to keep his squeeky clean image, it was suggested that he marry this ex-nanny for his image. He did. She was aware of all the women in his life, and to say he promised after the vows that he would stop his extra curricular activities was not going to be do-able. He has two beautiful children. He provided his wife with the good life - she could have anything at her beck and call. Under no circumstances should she be given half of his estate. There is a pre-nup in place, but I also feel that he should give her a nice tidy sum for the humiliation, embarrassment, the uprooting of her stable life. With the financial support he will provide for this children, she will never have to work a day in her life and still live in the manner she grew accustomed to. He did not become a golf star while they were married, but was already one.

January 5, 2010 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
  43. Bill

I love how people say..."Golf isn't a sport". So. What does that mean? That's one of the dumbest statements ever. It's like saying....Hamburger isn't a car! Yeah.....and your point is? Golf is one of the hardest games in the world. That's why it's been around for 600 years. When football, baseball, basketball and whatever else you call a sport has been around for that long then we'll talk. Golf isn't a sport! Here are some other obvious statements.

1. Water isn't concrete.
    2. Red isn't a watermelon.
    3. Doors aren't bananas.
    4. Pigs aren't crayons.
    5. Computers aren't spaghetti.

Go shoot a round of golf under par......on any course. Then come and talk to me.

January 5, 2010 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
  44. Derek

I agree he needs new PR people. Shame on Vanity, I'm sure this was planned a long time ago and to use this now only shows what lowlifes these magazines are to capitalize on this now. Yeah his body needs some work for an athlete. He is too young for a jelly roll around the waist.

January 5, 2010 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
  45. Britney

EWW

January 5, 2010 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  46. Bono

I think the first post (""Yummy") was by TIger himself :)

Since we are not solitary cave dwellers, but rather members of families/communities/society, we should expect public criticism for crimes and immoral activities which cause harm to others.

January 5, 2010 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  47. Britnut

I think that Tiger is done for. He is a pig. I hope his wife leaves him with nothing. Because that is exactly what he deserves. Don't feel sorry for him. He had countless affairs, which not only hurts himself (monetarily), but also hurts his children, wife, and family.

January 5, 2010 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
  48. ashan

those without sin should throw the first stone- I guess we all fall short of the glory of God.

January 5, 2010 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
  49. Debs626

Sorry, but I don't think Tiger is "all that".
    Takes more than looks to make a man and he obviously has "nothing" inside but a sick and disgusting soul!!

January 5, 2010 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
  50. cc

It doesn't matter Tiger has Billions and Billions of dollars. He can do whatever he wants. Not everyone is perfect. I'm not a golf fan but go Tiger let them see you roar.

January 5, 2010 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  51. KIKAMJA

You all are taking it hard on my boy tiger!LOL!Ok the man is guilty of cheating on his wife,which he was wrong for what he has done.Yea he shouldnt have gotten married if he knew he was a playa.Unlike most men or women who do commit adultry got to have there cake and eat it to!But people need to let it go yall act like you all have never heard of someone cheating before hell u probably know someone who has.Tiger just need to let his wife go if he is going to have multiple partners and live the playa life.Me persnally would have said something like these other women he has involved himself in.All of sudden they are sorry for what they done to his family.While that man was catering to them it wasnt a problem then they get jammed up they want to tell because they think they are going to get something out of it.Im going to say if i was involved and they asked me was i all im going to say is tiger who and yea i know if from what i c on tv.How u doing!!LOL

January 5, 2010 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
  52. kevin

HE SHOULD STAY OUT OF SIGHT, THE MEDIA AND THE PUBLIC WOULD ONLY TORMENT HIM TO NO END, THE MEDIA IS VERY VENOMOUS AND THE PUBLIC WOULD JUST SUCK IT UP AND WOULD WANT MORE OF THE DIRT. YOU NEED TO LET PEOPLE ALONE, MANY ACTORS/ACTRESSES/PERFORMERS/ENTERTAINERS HAVE GONE TO THEIR DEATHS DUE TO NEGATIVE REPORTING AND EVEN STILL HOUND THEM AFTER THEY HAVE DIED, THROUGH SPECULATION,ENUENDO,RUMOR,GOSSIP, ETC..... LOOK AT MICHAEL JACKSON, THERES A GOOD EXAMPLE THERE. YOU HAVE TO STOP IDOLIZING PEOPLE, PEOPLE LIKE TIGER ARE JUST AS HUMAN AS THE NEXT PERSON AND MAKE MISTAKES..........jUST LEAVE HIM ALONE........................

January 5, 2010 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  53. Big Al

No big deal::
    THIS WILL BE THEIR LOWEST SELLING ADDITION::

1/2 the country has already seen him naked!

January 5, 2010 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
  54. JRR

he looks a scalding hot mess! LOL

January 5, 2010 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
  55. Dani from AZ

He doesn't look that athletic...he looks better with his shirt ON

January 5, 2010 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
  56. jeanne

is this his mug shot? if not, it could be a advertising picture of male lipo suction gone bad......ewww..

January 5, 2010 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
  57. Nunaya-bidness

Infidelity is nothing new ladies and gentlemen...Men do this all the time, its just only till now someone got caught,Men have done worse, but these people are just not celebrities to have to dished out in the tabloids, this is a typicial american story, not everything is a box of Krispy Kreme Donuts with a ribbon tied around it

January 5, 2010 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
  58. dave

Whaaaaaaat!?!?! I thought Vanity Fair was a women's magazine. Yet they cover shot a guy who cheats on his wife, lies to his family, and has affairs with who knows how many women, he used and discarded. Have they no dignity at all, if not for the magazine itself then for the women who read it. I could understand this photo on the cover of Maxim declaring Tiger as stud of the year for the trophy wife and numerous conquests and all the awards going to chauvinistic belt notching. Vanity Fair...SHAME ON YOU!

January 5, 2010 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
  59. Anonymous

bla ... bla ... bla...........half of you men and women wish you had Tigers money. Who ever said Tiger wasn't concerned or cared about his children? Maybe it is his wife that he no longer wants....and just maybe she wasn't taking care of business at home (wow....never thought about that).

Everyone has so much to say as if you all are not hiding any skeletons in the closet ......we are all so-self righteous.

All you Tiger haters need to Get A Life!!........and let Tiger and his family work out their issues. It is not anyone's concern but theirs.

January 5, 2010 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |
  60. eds

His bod is pretty lame, esp. for his young age! No abs at all–where's the 6-pack! and not much of a chest... he definitely doesn't look like he does any weight training, but he should! I don't know about the lighting, or if it was airbrushed but on the golf course he isn't so dark complexioned, maybe they were trying to hide the icky chest tufts.

The hat is a bad choice, unbecoming. Doesn't look "intense" to me, just ugly.

Can't figure out what they were trying to accomplish with the photo shoot. Annie Lebowitz is a talented lady, but seems to me she missed the mark on this one.

January 5, 2010 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |
  61. Nunaya-bidness

Lookin good Tiger, Lookin Good! regardless people, he is stil the greatest golfer EVER!!!

January 5, 2010 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |
  62. c

He has his personal issues, he and his wife will have to deal with them in whatever way works best for them. It's so easy for us all to judge since we all live perfect lives from which to judge. I'm sure none of you who have made comments have ever made a mistake! Let the man live with the consequences and let his family recover in whatever way they need to. I like Tiger for the sportsman that he is the drive he has for his sport and what he has done for golf, no more no less

January 5, 2010 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
  63. CeCe

Those of you who ridicule his body should have your own shirtless body on the cover of a magazine – 99% of the population of the USA would look far worse. Please, let's just get over this foolishness and get this guy back out on the golf course. I could care less what he does off the course. Golf is not fun any more without Tiger...

January 5, 2010 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
  64. Shannon

I would have waited a bit if I were Tiger before this cover was released.....let things cool down some...

January 5, 2010 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
  65. Jeff

Who is this Tiger Wood's anyway? Has he been on the celebrity scene for very long....................

With global pandemics, Record unemployment, wars raging at every front, collapsing governments, pollution, polar ice caps disappearing, disease, starvation and the constant threat of nuclear annihilation, I guess I missed the Tiger Wood's dog and pony show.

January 5, 2010 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
  66. aimeejo

What makes a man sexy? Is it the nice body, a beautiful smile, a good laugh, or knowing they believe in themselves and stand for something? Despite all, Tiger might look good if you… erased his face, forget all the nasty ho's he slept with and thought that he may have contracted a STD, and ease your mind that he is an adulator and has no respect for self or others then the photo might sell. In the mean time what a poster child for what not to do. Did I happen to mention what a great role model? Lets just hope Vanity Fair was pushing publishing deadline and couldn’t afford to get a new model for their cover.

January 5, 2010 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
  67. BAMA GIRL

STOP THE HATE AND THE UNDERLINE RACISM. Saying he looks like a "thug" and that you have seen him on "Oz," is un-called for... At the end of the day, Tiger is still the greatest player that has ever played the game of golf. Sadly, he is not the first man to cheat on his wife and will not be the last.
    Give the man a break. He and his family deserve privacy and sympathy. They do not deserve your constant ridicule!!!! While he tries to live his life and correct mistakes, may I suggest you (HATERS) get a Life!!!!!!

HATE IS THE BEST MOTIVATOR!!!!! HATE ON HATERS – HE WILL BE BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 5, 2010 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |
  68. Becky

All of you who are criticizing Tiger for posing for these pictures after he just humiliated his wife: read the article carefully - Tiger didn't pose for these pictures recently. They were shot a couple years ago, but never used because there wasn't the interest. Now, with the scandal, there is interest. Having said that, I think Tiger is creepy, self-centered and immature. Elin could do better.

January 5, 2010 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
  69. Doreen

My immediate reaction to this photo is "why is she trying to make him look like a street punk?" He looks like he should be out robbing people. Do not like this shot at all. I really question what the motive was for shotting this photo.

January 5, 2010 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
  70. HNL LULU

He looks as cold as ice .... Totally uncaring .... It seems to be all about the image he has of himself ... Gee, A PERFECT PICTURE!!!

January 5, 2010 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
  71. Doc1270

Shirtless on the magazine – brainless everywhere else. He's put his life in the crapper due to personal stupidity.

January 5, 2010 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |
  72. Imeasncmon

You people have too much time on your hands.

January 5, 2010 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
  73. Ewwykasuiu

Man boobs

January 5, 2010 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
  74. fan

Please... you people need to get over it!

January 5, 2010 at 9:31 am | Report abuse |
  75. BS

Tiger wouldn't be good looking to anyone if he wasn't a famous professional golfer. It's the same way with ugly singers. They sure get better looking when they get famous and have a pretty voice!

January 5, 2010 at 9:22 am | Report abuse |
  76. MLE's Mom

Are there really women that want to see this cheater w/out his shirt on??? Gross!

January 5, 2010 at 9:17 am | Report abuse |
  77. salamatusesay

All men are cheat,why make big deal out of it when thousands are lieing out their.lf they media cam just keep quite they will fine with their problem.Many are not happy because,he making his millions.Tiger your simply the best in golf without you there is no golf so please come back.HAPPY NEW to your entire family.

January 5, 2010 at 9:08 am | Report abuse |
  78. A Fan for Life

The media is really a bunch of idiots. How many of them has cheated on their spouses and no one has said a word. Women are cheated on every single day in this world and not in medai peice of their lives is mentioned. We don't know the whole story, the media just made a rush decision as they always do and now Tiger is the villian. So What! She should be happy he took her away from her Nanny – aka babysitting job. She would have never made as much money as she will now. I know you won't print this, but it's true. Leave the man alone. It's not like he stole from the government. It's his private life

January 5, 2010 at 9:06 am | Report abuse |
  79. Robin

The picture is racist!

January 5, 2010 at 8:37 am | Report abuse |
  80. Debra R

CNN, you calling Tiger "untouchable" is just too ironic....sounds like he has been touched a bit too much to me... he has been touched so many ways....in the head, the ego, all his skanks...the list of his being touched gors on and on...might he handsome, but as Granny used to say, "pretty is as pretty does"...I would compare him to a swine, but don't want to insult the swine.....

January 5, 2010 at 8:21 am | Report abuse |
  81. Margaret

Sad.

January 5, 2010 at 8:13 am | Report abuse |
  82. MT

I would rather see his wife shirtless.

January 5, 2010 at 7:59 am | Report abuse |
  83. Victoria

Now that it's claimed he's on steroids, he don't look that hot. We know why he took them, so his willie would grow out.

January 5, 2010 at 7:33 am | Report abuse |
  84. Kim andrea Garvey

Not quite the Tiger we're used to, but then he's not the person we thought he was. Still best golfer ever, he brings magic to the game and gives other golfers hope. If Elin and Tiger can work out their problems great, if not time for Tiger to get back to his game plan. We'll never fully trust him again, but need to see him golf.

January 5, 2010 at 7:16 am | Report abuse |
  85. I saw this and nearly puked

Now that Tiger has gone away, he needs to stay away. And cover up, please. No one wants to see that hairy gut.

January 5, 2010 at 7:00 am | Report abuse |
  86. Kayd

WHAT A CHEAP CHUMP!

January 5, 2010 at 6:54 am | Report abuse |
  87. Mike

If that cover photo is a Leibovitz shot, then WOW has her work gone downhill. Vanity Fair could have gotten better posing/framing from an intern.
    If Leibovitz can still charge top dollar for amateur shots like that, she's a much better businessman than we realized.

January 5, 2010 at 6:34 am | Report abuse |
  88. Tim

I used to think he was amazing but I was wrong. He's a puke.

January 5, 2010 at 6:22 am | Report abuse |
  89. tiger haters

I swear some of the negative comments kill me, people get a life some of you are probably fat and out of shape, making body comments! Loose weight look good then talk Sh!T, He is still the best golfer out there!

January 5, 2010 at 6:10 am | Report abuse |
  90. Chykes

Tiger is a human, and like everyone else, he made a mistake we should all learn from. In as much as I condemn his act,I pray his wife'll forgive him and things'll get back to normal, and to all haters, "he without a sin should cast the first stone".

January 5, 2010 at 5:44 am | Report abuse |
  91. Jack Napier

One of the most dominant athletes to ever walk the earth... FACT. But as it turns out, the man is human after all... Which means he makes mistakes. The difference between him and the rest of you haters, is that nobody cares about the mistakes you make and nobody cares about you. TIGER YOUR THE MAN!!!! Your fans forgive you and cannot wait to have you back.

January 5, 2010 at 5:17 am | Report abuse |
  92. noel

To those hypocrites who say "yuck" and "gross" and "put that shirt back on," your mirrors probably crack and break when you stand in front of them. Tiger is a goodlooking man, and putting aside his millions, he is a very attractive man. I will pick him over that scrawny bitch-voiced Beckham anytime. Granted that he cheated, there were also 10 or so women who cheated as well. You hypocritical ugly women should stop complaining about men cheating. You are just as capable as men when it comes to cheating, and you are all foaming in the mouth 'cause you can't have Tiger... ever!!!

January 5, 2010 at 5:10 am | Report abuse |
  93. Lucy

yes. that cover style is also good. but I think, Tiger Woods is better than that. I mean When he does golf, his style and everything is the best day of his life.

January 5, 2010 at 5:00 am | Report abuse |
  94. Bzl

.....well what do you expect.. he is a golfer not a b.baller
    .......and for the criticism he is a superstar so his life is in the spotlight.
    celebs dont actually have a private life either they show off or kip tins covered to have privacy, or live in principles and messages they pass to people . their choices defines how the world (fans) view them.
    i mean regular peeps cheat and dont hit the tabloid not dat i support all he did but he could not wrap his mess up.
    . life goes on

January 5, 2010 at 4:22 am | Report abuse |
  95. Ituri

So now he's seen as a common thug? Yeah, that'll fix his rep...

January 5, 2010 at 3:57 am | Report abuse |
  96. Michel

So what?

The picture itself for me shows the champion in a somewhat different from what we're used to see, which in general is tipicatly, where Annie stands and does her job.
    Is this picture looking different, because of some recent event?
    Not for me
    I like it very much, for what it is...
    ...and I'm not looking for what in may represent in the light of recent events.

January 5, 2010 at 3:57 am | Report abuse |
  97. get real

** correction role models lol

January 5, 2010 at 3:53 am | Report abuse |
  98. Molly

Surprising cool looking. I am not a tiger fan. But, he looks real intense here, great pic., great body. And folks don't believe everything you hear or read puleease.

January 5, 2010 at 3:33 am | Report abuse |
  99. get real

who cares if he cheated men and women do it all the time. Leave that man alone he became famous for playing golf not being faithful to his wife, so thats all ppl shoul look up to him for. celebrities should not be looked at as remodels

January 5, 2010 at 3:29 am | Report abuse |
  100. Jason

I'm sick of hearing about Tiger this, Tiger that.... Tiger's sex life and marital issues is not world breaking news. If he had a chance to fix his marriage, the media has definitely ruined it. What happened to the news???

January 5, 2010 at 3:10 am | Report abuse |
  101. carrie s

they only show him from the waist up because they are currently lazering off his genital warts....

January 5, 2010 at 2:24 am | Report abuse |
  102. sam russell

i am a gay single man...and i hope he puts his shirt back on pronto!!!! and yes-fire your pr people tiger!!!!!

January 5, 2010 at 2:23 am | Report abuse |
  103. diana

What do you mean, people, he made "a mistake"? He did the same thing over and over: cheated. If he wanted to "play" he should be like George Clooney, and stayed single. A mistake is singular, and would have probably given his wife leeway to give him a second chance, as of course we are all human, and can make A mistake. I don't see how anyone can say the couple should "work it out." Also, I think perhaps he is on steroids, as any comparison of his muscles now with several years ago show a much slimmer Tiger then. Too much testosterone can lead to an overly-driven sex drive. Add that to being a rich young man with those stupid bimbos ready to sleep with anyone rich and famous=trouble. But he is really the stupid one: a married man who had the responsibility to stick to his vows, and threw his supposedly good reputation, wife & kids away.

January 5, 2010 at 2:06 am | Report abuse |
  104. Was a fan

Ego man is uncovered. With his continued foolishness – ( so I heard on the news) hope he never gets the kids. Yep Tiger sure became uncovered in more ways than one. I do feel sorry for his wife. She is smart to have left it all behind. Good for her. From the best in the world to a tabloid guy. Ladies and gentlemen.The Real Tiger Woods.

January 5, 2010 at 1:38 am | Report abuse |
  105. Eva Johnson

Woods is a male whore/slut.........curb the F***KER........bring on the comments/support???? WHICH WAY?!!!??

January 5, 2010 at 1:26 am | Report abuse |
  106. sian

From a woman who has been cheated on and survived with my self esteem intact...I look forward to reading a story about a great athlete. Many great men have been humbled by their personal failings just as many less famous ones have been beset by their transgressions...Leave Tiger alone and worry about your own lives!

January 5, 2010 at 1:21 am | Report abuse |
  107. TTommy Tucker

Didn't I see him on Oz?

January 5, 2010 at 12:32 am | Report abuse |
  108. Not a fan

He sure puts his wife and kids first!- YAH! Cover this MESS up!

January 5, 2010 at 12:30 am | Report abuse |
  109. Lloyd Braun

For all those who think YUCK and disgusting just replace Tiger's pix with Phil Mickelson or John Daly!

January 5, 2010 at 12:22 am | Report abuse |
  110. Sunny

There's nothing yummy or hot about a man who regularly betrays his own family and risks the emotional well being of his very young children. The VF cover photo of Golfer Tiger Woods (hinting at nudity except for a bonnet and dumbbells) makes sense if you understand it is an LL Cool J-type advertisement for the ladies....

January 5, 2010 at 12:04 am | Report abuse |
  111. charlie

I think the pic looks great....now it's time to move on, He made a mistake...but what do you expect he's a MAN....I still think he's a great guy. Leave him alone already. As for his wife either forgive and forget or move on...but stop helping the press drag this man through the dirt, if you care anything about him at all you will just let this thing die. Or is it really just about the $$$$$.

January 4, 2010 at 11:46 pm | Report abuse |
  112. Renee

I wonder how many STD's he may have and may not even know of yet. How many has he exposed to his wife and all of those women? So selfish and irresponsible. I feel so badly for his wife.

January 4, 2010 at 11:43 pm | Report abuse |
  113. mak

If Ms. Leibovitz wanted to really capture Woods' true competitive nature, he should have been photographed with his 14 bimbos.

January 4, 2010 at 11:34 pm | Report abuse |
  114. rehtea

The white media is so good at making any black celebrity look like a thug or gangsta. anyone remember the lebron james / bunchen photo?

January 4, 2010 at 11:22 pm | Report abuse |
  115. R

Wow So david Letterman can cheat on his wife and threaten his female employees to sleep with him or there fired.

But TIger Woods sleep with a bunch of strippers and it shame on him.

Wow there is no limits to this Worlds Hypocrisy

January 4, 2010 at 11:17 pm | Report abuse |
  116. JHarp

What would have been awesome given Tiger's recent troubles would have been for Vanity Fair to flip the script and for its Feb issue, forgo the shirtless image of Tiger and do something completely different. Granted – Tiger has caused a lot of what he now finds himself in; I'm not excusing that. But the media should in alot of intances be the bigger entity and not kick an individual when they're already down. Why not take this opportunity to help Tiger instead of perpetuating. . . For his kids' sake if nobody's elses.

January 4, 2010 at 11:12 pm | Report abuse |
  117. Tami

OK ladies & men. Dis him all you want on the infidelity (been there, know the lying is worse than the actual cheating). But come on! Tiger is still luscious to look at, with his rockin' hard body and gorgeous doe eyes. Get over your judgmental selves and enjoy the pics of his body, not his life.

January 4, 2010 at 11:10 pm | Report abuse |
  118. christine

Heck! I'm a 41 year old, mother of two, and I've got better abs than that punk!!! That's all he is now, a punk who got lucky for so many years fooling us. He may be a great golfer but that's all he is! He's a dime a dozen, no catch unless you're for sale. Shame on Vanity Fare for putting a no class punk with a bloated ego, and body to boot, on it's cover or anywhere inside!

January 4, 2010 at 11:10 pm | Report abuse |
  119. arona

C'mon this is a cheap tactic to get people talking about something else other than his troubles. We want people with their shirts and skirts on, and who have a lot more character than that! Real character, not PR-made character. C'mon Tiger is a great golfer, but i am not going to admire him for anything else. Thanks!

January 4, 2010 at 11:09 pm | Report abuse |
  120. cane

Please put the shirt back on!

January 4, 2010 at 11:04 pm | Report abuse |
  121. SoNotHollywood

Suck it In!

January 4, 2010 at 11:04 pm | Report abuse |
  122. dot

I would suggest he looks like a thug. I would not buy one magazine with his picture on it.
    If he didn't feel like a jack - he would come out and make a comment that what he did was unacceptable. He should apologize to everyone that has had anything to do with him. This picture does not look like the body belongs to him.
    I sure have seen better bodies than this and i am in my 60's and this would not turn me on even when i was younger.

January 4, 2010 at 10:53 pm | Report abuse |
  123. Von

This picture speaks for itself. Golfers are NOT real athletes. Look at the flabby pecs

January 4, 2010 at 10:53 pm | Report abuse |
  124. ms

gross! his concubines were blind gold-diggers!
    shame on him and shame on VF!

January 4, 2010 at 10:44 pm | Report abuse |
  125. Kat

I agree: if everyone can forget Michael Vick's despicable failures as a human being and he's still raking in an obscene amount of cash, it won't be long that all of Tiger's sins will be forgotten. Lying, cheating, killing, thieving, and just being a sorry excuse for a human being apparently have no effect on celebrity or the overinflated pocketbooks created by it.

January 4, 2010 at 10:44 pm | Report abuse |
  126. Sick_Of_It

Tiger should just come out of hiding and play golf. If he can't salvage his marriage , then he can't. If people want to hate him then so what! He needs to stop hiding. His behavior should be a lesson to him to show him how quickly people of a certain persuasion turn on you in a heart beat! They love you when you're playing sports, running and jumping or hitting a ball but when you mess up just once they turn on you. He needs to toughen up be a man and play the sport that he loves..forgot about endorsements, he doesn't need them anyway.

January 4, 2010 at 10:37 pm | Report abuse |
  127. Tigerfan-not

What's wrong with his nipples? They look funny.

January 4, 2010 at 10:34 pm | Report abuse |
  128. charo buencamino

More power to Tiger... He's hot.... Elin's hot.... They should work it out. There is still a chance to save their marriage.

January 4, 2010 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |
  129. Annie

He looks like just another thug. That is not a good body.

January 4, 2010 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
  130. Marie

Tiger Woods is an incredible athlete. He obviously has a charm and intensity to him. This picture does him no justice. Like the others have said-it makes him look like a thug...Shameful to exploit him in this way. I am sure this is not what he was looking for when he had the photo shoot. I agree-the picture makes him look menacing which is not at all consistent with his character. He has a beautiful smile...hopefully that will be seen in the other photos at Vanity Fair. It's just sad that everyone is trying to exploit him. He is a man with a PERSONAL problem that is between him and his wife, and the other women he cheated with. To make money off of his personal problems is just pathetic....Hopefully he will be able to return to golf and to his previous greatness and find some peace with his personal life....

January 4, 2010 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
  131. Dee Dee

I don't understand.... is he a rapper now?

January 4, 2010 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse |
  132. Rusty Shackleford

I was expecting a well cut 6-pack... wowza

January 4, 2010 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
  133. Vincent

I understand that most of you don't know the biz. Tiger and his people had nothing to do with this cover. They own the pictures from a shoot 2-3 months prior to Thanksgiving, they in turn and use them whenever they want...they chose now. If you want to be mad at someone go to the editors not Tiger. This was not his idea He will however come back bigger and better then ever. There are alot of people who have done worse and have been forgiven. Where is the out cry for the Hollywood stars backing Polanski??? Hmmm I wonder??? You guys who are bashing Tiger nee to get a life, you know you would trade places with him in a heart beat...I WOULD!

January 4, 2010 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
  134. Heidi

Kudos to Elin for dumping this D-Bag!

January 4, 2010 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
  135. pippn23

Let's just be thankful it wasn't Phil Mickelson on the cover...

January 4, 2010 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
  136. ARNOLD ELIZARRARAZ

you go cheeta woods!!!!

January 4, 2010 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
  137. Elli

This whole issue is becoming more and more tasteless. We have important issues to worry about – - not this jerk.

January 4, 2010 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
  138. jaybally, Houston TX

The Media Pimps are still at it Tiger Woods.
    Tiger will be successfull at anything He wishes; Golf , etc. how many people become "BILLIONARIES" at age 33 ? The Media Pimps have only to answer to Murdoch and its likes! Give it UP! Your two down and press-ING!

January 4, 2010 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse |
  139. Ange

Strut your stripes Tiger! You're hot babe! You all need to stop hatin' on Tiger so much for cheating on Elin...at least remember this; Tiger has done a lot for charity: Rainforest Foundation, Tiger Woods Foundation, Tiger Woods Learning Centers, and a host of other good deeds towards children, education, the environment, family/parent support, and human rights.

This guy is still awesome, no matter much he pisses up off sometimes!

January 4, 2010 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse |
  140. Roderius

He's under alot of pressure

January 4, 2010 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |
  141. Jayjaybe

It should dawn on all of these commentators that Tiger is a commodity. It's more important that he's stopped playing golf indefinitely than any quasi-scandal. When he returns to the PGA tour, the money mongers will support him again regardless of public disaffection. Most of their customer base and his fan base will return to business as usual. Commodities are amoral. Our comments here are only for our own satisfaction, not much currency beyond that. So, flail away, or get over it.

January 4, 2010 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
  142. Jeff

How long did he think he could possibly keep his secret life a secret? He'll never return to the level of golf that we're all so used to. It's a game requiring tremendous consentration and he'll never be able to play the game again with what will be years long distractions.

January 4, 2010 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
  143. Paula

I am a huge Tiger Woods fan but this does NOT look like Tiger at all! What a horrible photo shoot that was..I think they are trying to do him more damage.. he looks awful and he usually is gorgeous! Terrible shot and shame on Vanity Fair.. this is air brushed and darkened and not a good photo at all!

January 4, 2010 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse |
  144. Al

That picture reminds me of the cover picture Time magazine used of OJ. All dark and menacing. It's the same racist intent here.

blogcritics.org/sports/article/ojs-last-run-a-tale-of/

January 4, 2010 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse |
  145. rod williams

we all screw up at times just shows us we are all human, still the best at his game(golf)

January 4, 2010 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse |
  146. tigerplease

Obviously, you people who are saying "forgive and forget" have never had the pleasure of having your spouse cheat on you.

I know some of you are going to say, "so what? Every celeb does it?" Then fine, I agree... just don't get married. Stay single. Don't commit to someone if you can't do it. I would still be a Tiger fan if had been single. I would have been the first to tell people to back off, but he is a liar and selfish, and that speaks volumes about a man.

January 4, 2010 at 9:08 pm | Report abuse |
  147. joe blow

next tiger scandal – was it steroids or human growth hormone?

January 4, 2010 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
  148. ttc39

mmmm.. Man he is fine.. I'll take him, and his money...Tiger call me

January 4, 2010 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  149. observing...

I didn't realize he was that old and out of shape until I saw the picture. Looks better with a golf shirt and baseball cap on, cleaner. He should have spent more time working out instead of hanging with the bimbos.

The only thing that would make the photo a hoot would be Elin standing behind him with a golf club ready to swing and him holding up a note that says "help me, I'm scared.." like Saturday Night Live.Did he lose a tooth?

He should stick to just playing golf, if he still can, under all this public pressure to perform.

January 4, 2010 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  150. Enough

Uh...his body hair is weird. Either have chest hair or have none. Don't get photographed with just some hairy nipples. Yuck.

January 4, 2010 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
  151. Ms. Obvious

Well, that body shot of "the greatest golfer" proves once and for all that Golf Is Not A Sport. There is no athlete's physique anywhere in sight !

January 4, 2010 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
  152. Kathy in Florida

Yanks!! Darn, put some cloths on Tiger. You look like the typical gangster/thug/prisoner.

January 4, 2010 at 8:56 pm | Report abuse |
  153. Jen

Huh? He had some affairs. Shocking. He's a GOLFER, for crying out loud, not a saint or a Vestal virgin. Can we just respect his amazing golf career and stop talking about his "downfall?" The last time I heard, Tiger was still one of the greatest golfers ever.

January 4, 2010 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
  154. Sam

Diane, I think you missed the point of this CNN article. The photo shoot was done BEFORE Tiger's fire hydrant incident. He already signed away the rights to publish them before the media circus ever happened. Obviously, he declined to actually take part in an interview to accompany the photos after the madness began. So Vanity Fair decided to run an essay on his supposed superman delusion along with the photos. Might be interesting...

January 4, 2010 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
  155. Tigerhater

Well not it's confirmed – Tiger has the integrity of a pimp and a body of crack addict. The dude needs to work out.

January 4, 2010 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
  156. Lovin all the racist

Hahaha... I love all the comments by all the closet racists! Hahaha Love your code words like "thug", "gangster", "low life"... Hahaha And please don't try to hide your racists attitude and please... please! don't use your race as a cover for your comments! Hahaha... Look at the cover carefully... It's a colored man flexing for the camera... What exactly makes him look like a "thug", "gangster" or "low life"? His beanie? Do you know how my athletes from Lance Armstrong to Micheal Phelps have posed without shirts flexing without anyone calling them "thugs" or "low lifes? Admit it... it's because he's no longer "Americas" poster boy for the whitest sport in America next to hockey. He's not wearing your typical polo and slacks that makes him look docile. Instead you see a man... an athlete flexing the same intensity that makes him great at what he does... you would just rather see it wrapped up and dialed down behind a polo and slacks.

January 4, 2010 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
  157. GFord

It is really fascinating to me how utterly hypocritical most Americans are...If I were Tiger I would retire from golf. Let's see how exciting tournaments are going forward, and how long the purses stay high!!!

January 4, 2010 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  158. ihis

Put on a shirt. Not a great chest. He does not look like a tiger. A thug.

January 4, 2010 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
  159. AB

First words that came to mind was YUCK! Gross! Not attractive to women at all.

January 4, 2010 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
  160. Danny

He looks like one of the prisoners on Lockup.

January 4, 2010 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
  161. Brian

Who cares what picture anyone post, he might as well be single by now. Yes he made a huge mistake, one I do not condone. However he is human, and other star athletes have made bigger. Look at the NBA, pulling guns in the locker room, NFL....lets let animals fight...Hockey, they fight all the time. Tiger....was unfaithful to his wife. We should let his personal life be just that, PERSONAL. Leave him alone and let him do what he does, he will have to deal with his mistakes, Personally.

January 4, 2010 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse |
  162. red head

Are we back in the Roman times of Gladiators, we turn these people into bigger than with their salaries, with money that could well be spent elsewhere. Then we acted shocked when they behave like all of the other men in our society that think they are bigger than life.

January 4, 2010 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
  163. Online Reader

Tiger looks like a THUG!

January 4, 2010 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
  164. Wondering

There was an earlier post suggesting that the media is pouncing on Tiger because he is half African American. I am dumbfounded at this. He is the world's best golfer and top athlete... Charlie Sheen is a red ball away from a full time job at a circus. Yet folks continue to want to obsess on race. This is not a race issue. This is a man that has created the most horrific train wreck in the history of mainstream media. We cannot help but look and learn.

January 4, 2010 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
  165. Chak

Hey, Tiger Woods should never have been put on a pedestal in the first place. When is America going to stop putting athletes at the top of the morality ladder just because they can hit a ball, bounce a ball or catch one? A man should be judged on how he treats people, provides for his family, how he treats his wife and his kids. That is what man should be judged on, everything else is meaningless and foolish. This is not a dis to Tiger because everyone of us has something that needs to be put in check.

January 4, 2010 at 8:30 pm | Report abuse |
  166. tina

Give me the millions. ! Sounds more appealing than what he looks like! He will make more money, but he is a zero with family. ZERO when his kids will find out daddy's little secrets and know Daddy thought the other women were more important, and golf, then they were. So, is it family or golf, family or golf, ? Thank God Elin at least chose family. They are better off without him -AIDS is still out there! All the women want are the money, too, And fame being connected with Tiger. IF he wasn't famous there would be 13 women who want him–Did you see what he looks like shirtless? YUCK

January 4, 2010 at 8:30 pm | Report abuse |
  167. jennifer

his shirt off and he is still gross - what are you going to tell your kids years from now. Yes you need a hell of alot of money to sleep with him

January 4, 2010 at 8:29 pm | Report abuse |
  168. Zius

Fame and fortune bring with it great exposure, which is positive or negative based upon one's perspective. It is true, the man has transgressed, but must we judge when we ourselves are just as fallable. Tiger has come to a crossroad, he must embrace his reality and prepare for the scrutiny that is inevitable upon his return.
    Which one of us could stand in his shoes and not buckle from the pressure. Blaze your own path Tiger, it is not for man to judge you. Prepare your mind, body, and soul for what comes after life. Men are treacherous, so prepare for the one who can forgive you.

God is One!

January 4, 2010 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse |
  169. Craig

He disgusts me. Funny how fame and fortune makes you think you can do whatever you want with no consequences. Just as the song "Karma Chameleon" goes, "You come and go, you come and go".

January 4, 2010 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
  170. mac

I though Tiger would be better built then that...I just turned 50 and my body blows his away...I have been weightlifting for 5 years and I do not use HGH....Tiger I still think you are great, and can not wait until you anounce your return to the PGA tour..If you ever need a Physical Trainer please look me up...

January 4, 2010 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
  171. scott

Wow! I love all of the comments about how Tiger will be fine and he should just move on?? What about the kids?

January 4, 2010 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
  172. SK

He's GROSS!

January 4, 2010 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |
  173. Jackie

I don't appreciate the way in which Annie Leibovitz photographs black men lately, especially athletes. She loves to portray them as menacing. (See: Lebron's Vogue cover) This woman has some serious issues. And I dont just mean magazines.

January 4, 2010 at 8:07 pm | Report abuse |
  174. Debra Cockrum

Tiger woods will be fine. Americans have very short memories, he'll probably make more money.
    As for Vanity Fair they consistently have the best articles every month. I always look forward to my next issue.

January 4, 2010 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse |
  175. meesh1

Annie Leibovitz is known for getting celebrities, politicians, scholars, etc. to pose outside their norm. She has been able to convince people to pose in ways you'd never imagine they would agree to. That's testament to her skills and the juxtapositions make you think about how you view a person and what assumptions you make about them.

January 4, 2010 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse |
  176. Michael

Tiger is still the best Golder in the world. People, stop hating on the man. My God, he didn't kill anyone or rape anyone. All he did was cheated on his wife. Everyone is talking like he blew up a plane and massacred entire villages or something! He made a mistake, it was only sex! He did what anyone would of done, that is to make as much money as he can. Tiger, your still the man! Come back and start winning some titles. You still have a lot of supporters!

January 4, 2010 at 8:05 pm | Report abuse |
  177. Move on...

Tiger is a great golfer, but it is time to move on… We should not waste our time on trying to revive a personality that everyone except the scum of the earth would worship. He has cashed in the generosity of the marketing culture that we live in. It is time we focus other individuals that we all can admire and support. Make a difference and send email to brands that continue to sponsor ‘Woods’ and tell them how you feel.

January 4, 2010 at 8:04 pm | Report abuse |
  178. H

If I suck in my gut too I can hide that I'm fat. Look at his face. That's not beauty pounds he's hiding. No arms, no chest, and a face for radio. Great cover for the blind.

January 4, 2010 at 8:04 pm | Report abuse |
  179. Ryder from Water Mill

YUK
    YUK YUK
    I'd rather see Annie Liebovitz or Susan Sontag shirtless

tiger has no morals, scrupples, pecs, abs, wife, kids or sponsors left.

Dancing with the Stars ?

or maybe he can do lap dances for some old age home in Boca Raton.

January 4, 2010 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
  180. just_gagged

Yes, he has made some bad decisions. We all do. . . but seriously? I definitely see stomach flab and this guy is supposed to be a pro athlete? Gross. I don't get it.

January 4, 2010 at 7:57 pm | Report abuse |
  181. rjl

We all wish we were Tiger.

Make 100 million / year in the old times.

Maybe 35-40 mil a year in these harsh times.

Yeah, that's living off food stamps.

January 4, 2010 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
  182. Les

I'm sure VF will sell alot of magazines with him on the cover.

January 4, 2010 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |
  183. Saphire

Who cares what he looks like, he was wrong in what he did to his family , but he's still a great golfer and the golfing worlds needs him back.

January 4, 2010 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
  184. Kim Spence

He looks like a criminal with that hat on. Fire PR people ASAP!!

January 4, 2010 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
  185. wow

Annie Liebowitz did him no favors. Even without the scandal, that hat is way bad. and I mean bad as in bad, not bad as in good.

January 4, 2010 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse |
  186. So what!

Enough about him already,sickening

January 4, 2010 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
  187. Eric

One other thing, for those of you who obviously can't read well, please note that the article said this was taken BEFORE the scandal broke out. I'll say it again.. BEFORE the scandal broke out. Therefore this happened BEFORE his PR people could do anything about it.. Did we all notice the keyword here? The only people who should be fired is the public school system who apparently taught some of you.

January 4, 2010 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
  188. Josh

Why does it look like he's working out in the prison yard?

January 4, 2010 at 7:44 pm | Report abuse |
  189. Colorado

Enough about Tiger. How about let's discuss Elin? How much is she getting in this deal for being a trophy wife. They had a prenuptial agreement so this was already a marriage of convenience.

January 4, 2010 at 7:44 pm | Report abuse |
  190. GM

Please put the shirt back on and don't ever take it off again!

January 4, 2010 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
  191. Timeman

His wife should forgive him? AHHAHAHHA these weren't one night stands these were women he was having year(s) long relationships with. Some were porn stars, so yea I bet that made her feel good to find out that he was doing all these other women and then coming home to her.

January 4, 2010 at 7:42 pm | Report abuse |
  192. Diane

Yuck! I'd take John Daly over that.

January 4, 2010 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse |
  193. Liza

Timing is everything. How ironic that these photos were taken just weeks before the scandal and affairs news broke loose. What comes around, goes around. This photo although beautifully shot by Leibovitz is really degrading to himself and his fans hence the tough shirtless look. Tiger's true colors really coming out. Sad.

January 4, 2010 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse |
  194. Tabbatha Johnson

I really wonder why the Charlie Sheen incident is not getting any of the press that Tiger Woods, O.J. Simpson, and Chris Brown are getting. But I'm just kidding I know why.

January 4, 2010 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse |
  195. loukelemen

Just leave tiger alone Hes the man! Its an odd picture, yeah, But the sex scandal was just another thing that the other golfers put on him so they can make money while putting him out of the game! However he is going to be back in no time no doubt of that i think even with this scandal we should all let this go and leave tiger alone he is an adult and knows what he has done and also has apologized! He can work out whatever he want! But my last statement is TIGER COME BACK, GOLF is A DEAD SPORT WITHOUT YOU!
    Thank You for reading!

January 4, 2010 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse |
  196. ciaben

looks like they airbrushed is body, he is not that dark, he does not look appealing at all

January 4, 2010 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse |
  197. kay

Hey, Annie and Vanity...Can we spell "B-A-D T-A-S-T-E". A lot of us demonstrated for Womens Rights. Now ...back to "Bimbo-Hood".

January 4, 2010 at 7:36 pm | Report abuse |
  198. Eric

Tiger is still the best golfer in the world regardless of how things turn out. The only person he owes anything to is his wife, no one else period. He'll come back and be just as good as ever. As for all the bimbo's who say "yuck and "nasty" please keep in mind when you have as much money as he does and he'll still have a lot even if he gets divorced I might add, you don't have to be Adonis. Apparently at least 9 women not including his wife thought he looked good.

January 4, 2010 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |
  199. NJD

Yeah, go the thuggish route. That'll help clear things up...If it wasn't bad enough that he didn't want to talk about his guilt, now he's displaying it on the cover of a national magazine. His publicists are idiots.

January 4, 2010 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |
  200. Fabulous

Julie, who said Vick was back?

January 4, 2010 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |
  201. Anonymous

I can't help but wonder why Leibovitz chose to photograph Woods in this manner. Was this his choice or hers? It seems that she has deliberately projected him in a way that is more reflective of her own expression. I wouldn't trust her to photograph me, not that she would want to, seeing how manipulative and exploitative she can be. Ask Miley Cyrus.

January 4, 2010 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse |
  202. Waynesworld

You know what? This guy does not deserve a second chance. I think his wife and children deserve better. Clearly, they didn't mean anything to him. I am sure the testosterone driven sports fans will give him a huge welcome back; just as they did with Mr. Vick who threw injured dogs agains the wall or Koby the rapist. American continues is slide down the slippery slope.

January 4, 2010 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse |
  203. Paul

When a man gets into trouble,usually there are two defense mechanisms:fight or flight.Tiger took the flight mode as an initial response;but I believe he will activate the fight mode once his recent priorities be met and organized.I still give him my admiration as a superb golf player.Let us remember:No one is infallible.Please give him the credit he deserves....Paul

January 4, 2010 at 7:32 pm | Report abuse |
  204. anngood

Number one... Golf is such a stupid game (not a sport) but we're enamered with the amount of money it generates. Number two, look at this photo and face it. Do you honestly think that these women in his life would have ever looked at this guy without his noteriety and money ? I mean Really...

January 4, 2010 at 7:31 pm | Report abuse |
  205. V from Chicago

This is what he's resorted to?

Lame

January 4, 2010 at 7:29 pm | Report abuse |
  206. A Little Insight

Just a note in regards to the PR reps. . .
    As the article reads, the photos were shot prior to the scandal breaking. After the scandal broke, Tiger declined to comment with the magazine for the article. Once a magazine interview or photo shoot has been done, the publication owns those photos and, due to the First Amendment, the press can print whatever it wishes. So no matter how hard the PR reps may have tried to remove the photos or story from print, they were powerless to do so. Is it even more damaging to his rep? Definitely/ probably. But was it something that was placed/ approved after the scandal broke? More than likely not.
    And, no I'm not a Tiger rep nor do I know his camp. . .just someone who deals with this stuff every single day.

January 4, 2010 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
  207. ida

put your shirt back on!

January 4, 2010 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse |
  208. Erik

YUCK, GROSS!

January 4, 2010 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse |
  209. Randy

These things are done months in advance, he got paid, but how valuable are those photos now for selling magazines. VF shouldn't stop the presses!!

January 4, 2010 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
  210. kate

Dang. I guess I won't be buying my issue of Vanity Fair on the newsstand this week. I refuse to subsidize any publication that feeds into the public's gossip frenzy and that appears to be VF this month. Too bad....I thought they were better than that.

January 4, 2010 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse |
  211. Lisa

Disgusting...

January 4, 2010 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse |
  212. Wild Bill

ohhhhh come on...ethics people...Cheetah's a punk

January 4, 2010 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse |
  213. Feldman

Tiger, there are younger, stronger players out there and they are coming for you. Some don't even think about you. You are without a doubt THE LUCKIEST GOLFER on the planet, and you know it. However, you are no where close to being the longest driver or the best putter.....you are simply LUCKY. Look out my friend, they are out there and they are coming!

January 4, 2010 at 7:21 pm | Report abuse |
  214. mrslach

Wow, when Tiger changes his image is goes all the way!!

January 4, 2010 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
  215. Bob

Did Tiger go to prison? Looking at that picture with the black cap, mean look, and lifting weights makes it look so...

January 4, 2010 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |
  216. Tammy

How sad. How many lives affected by stupidity and egomania?

January 4, 2010 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |
  217. Layla

I don't find this picture attractive, but I'm not saying tiger shouldn't be able to come back from this scandle and start playing golf again. I hope his wife doesn't go back to him, honestly forgiveness is one thing, but being stupid is another and she can find way better.

January 4, 2010 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |
  218. Anne

He could work a little more on his abs and pecs...

January 4, 2010 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
  219. Mac

I'm sure that Tiger's PR people have no say in the Vanity Fair article. Freedom of the Press and all that... It will sell like hotcakes. Good writers at VF. It should be an interesting and balanced article.

As far as Tiger's scandal, well, sooner or later he will take responsibility and rehabilitate himself. He'll weather the storm. Golf needs him. And we forget everything in the US. As a culture we have almost no long term memory.

January 4, 2010 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse |
  220. grossed out

No thanks. Keep the shirt on.

January 4, 2010 at 7:14 pm | Report abuse |
  221. Eddie

The best golfer. Not the best human. The best golfer that ever played the game. Golf fans all over the world will miss the golfer. The theater he creates when he plays, the intensity of competition he plays in and above all the discipline it takes to be the best golfer ever.

January 4, 2010 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
  222. Becky

He is Butt ugly...I agree that he needs new PR folks...they are the worst!

January 4, 2010 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
  223. ball

he is ugly plus his body is no big deal wouldn't want him even if I could

January 4, 2010 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
  224. Faithful and Honest

Tiger will NEVER be trusted like he once was. He may rise up again as a premier golfer, but not as a decent person. Bye bye. Tiger, you let us down.

January 4, 2010 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse |
  225. Larry "O"

TIger made a mistake so what, people do it in all walks of life. He still can play a mean golf game and that is what needs to be focused on. Hey we let a president go with having an affair!!!. Let Tiger do what he does best PLAY GOLF......Thanks for not pulling the article Vanity!!!!!

January 4, 2010 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
  226. nadine

Who cares! My hormones are not raging over Tiger or any other male celebrity. Folks need to to stop spreading "cooties".

January 4, 2010 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse |
  227. Blackgirl

Tiger is still hot to me and if there were this many women I'm sure his wife had to have some sort of "clue" before now. Could have and should have left him sooner. Oh well he is one in a million that cheat everyday, get over it and move on or just stay single. Sheesh, he is a human being and I have never heard of him saying that he was "untouchable" People really need to get a life.

January 4, 2010 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
  228. letmeout

Oh please....Pee Wee Herman has a shot after all.

January 4, 2010 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
  229. Elizabeth

Diane – the article mentions this spread was already planned. PR can't stop VF from running this in the wake of controversy.

January 4, 2010 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
  230. mike

This just continues his fall...

January 4, 2010 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
  231. Tiger in Freefall

Great move Tiger, the low-life gangsta look should really help your career.

Part two of the Tiger saga is about to break when it's found out that that body was the result of illicit designer drugs.

January 4, 2010 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
  232. rjl

No – this is good, at least for now.

Tiger needs to play up the bad boy image for a while and let things settle back down.

I love that pic – couldn't have happened at a better time.

Tiger should get divorced, pay up the $$ to his ex – and just go have fun. He'll probably be a lot happier.

January 4, 2010 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
  233. Ross

YUCK. Put your shirt back on. What a terrible body for a "professional" athlete.

January 4, 2010 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
  234. Rick

Tiger is still the greatest golfer in the world !!!

January 4, 2010 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
  235. fwrose

I love looking at Tiger. I love watching him play golf. I think he's hot. I also think he's smart and talented. This will all go away eventually and he will be back in the swing of things...no pun intended. And I sincerely hope he and Elin work things out. Forgiveness and redemption are wonderful things.

January 4, 2010 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
  236. Hampton Want A Be

Yuck...no thanks..please

January 4, 2010 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
  237. Emmy

NASTY!

January 4, 2010 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
  238. Julie

Tiger will be just fine in a few months once we all move on to the next celebrity scandal. If Michael Vick can make a comeback, Tiger shouldn't have anything to worry about!

January 4, 2010 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
  239. Diane

Oh, this ought to help his reputation right now. Who in the heck are his PR people? They should be fired.

January 4, 2010 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |