January 4th, 2010

Getting ready for 'The Bachelor'

On January 4, my wife and I will resume a tradition that dates back to when we first met nearly five years ago.

We will be watching the new season of "The Bachelor" in its entirety.

I'm no fan of most "reality" programs, but there's something about "The Bachelor" and its sister show "The Bachelorette" that makes me want to tune in.  These shows are the equivalent of standing at the side of the road, waiting until the next five-car accident takes place.  And on "The Bachelor," these wrecks happen early and often.

This year's "Bachelor" is a pilot named Jake Pavelka.  We last saw Jake this past summer on "The Bachelorette," where he was rejected by Jillian Harris, who in turn had been rejected by Jason Resnick, who had been rejected by DeAnna Pappas, who had been rejected by Brad Womack (and no doubt one of those rejected by Jake this time around will pop up this summer as the new "Bachelorette").

Jake has promised to anyone who is listening that this season will be dramatic.  And early promos for the show are promising  just that, including a clip (since removed from the ABC Web site) suggesting that one of the 25 contestants is having an affair with "somebody else" inside the house.

So I'll be watching "The Bachelor: On the Wings of Love" each and every week.  And not only will I be waiting for the obligatory Jeffrey Osborne cameo, I'll be posting episode reviews the morning after each show on the Marquee Blog.

I also promise to watch each and every episode in its entirety.  Sure, there will be temptation on Monday from the Fiesta Bowl, a first-run "Heroes" and the return of Bret "Hitman" Hart to "WWE Monday Night Raw" after more than a decade, but a promise is a promise.  Besides, that's what commercial breaks are for.

So are you excited about the next "Bachelor" to premiere?  And what will you be watching Monday night?

Post by:
Filed under: television

1. Shell

Yes I will watch! I have watched every season & I love Jake! Guilty pleasure.

January 5, 2010 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Kris

Craig, that's pretty funny and all true, but he seems straight to me – he has very traditional values.

January 5, 2010 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Craig

I saw some teasers of the show on ET. This guy looks like a model, is impeccably groomed, and has an impeccably decorated house. Are we sure he is on the right reality show?

January 5, 2010 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Debra R

To answer the question...I will be watching Lie to Me and Big Bang Theory...they are clever well written shows....

January 5, 2010 at 8:30 am | Report abuse |
  5. Lauren

Just for clarification, there was one one successful coupling out of "The Bachelorette" Trista and Ryan are still going strong!

January 4, 2010 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse |
  6. iluvcats

love this show...love watching desperate, catty, backstabbing women fight over one man. every single season, there are a couple or few women that say "oh, we have a connection, I'm falling in love..." after exchanging two words! WHY do women do this to themselves? I don't know, but it's great entertainment for me...heehee i'm looking forward to see if Jake lets go those pretty intelligent women i've seen online...see if he's intimidated, which i think he might be...there are like 2 or 3 he should go for...but we will see!

January 4, 2010 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse |
  7. CP

My husband and I have been watching this for years and wouldn't miss it. I don't know why – but I love it!

January 4, 2010 at 7:31 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Victor

I'll be watching Heroes, hoping the show can come out of its mediocre storyline and actually make me care again, then I'll see RAW, just to see how Vince McMahon messes over Bret "The Hitman" Hart again.

Honestly, what the heck is Bret thinking? Does he need the money that badly?

January 4, 2010 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
  9. NYLA Princess

Oh yeah, what a great way to start off the year...a reality TV show that is worth watching because you actually can get something out of it.

Jake is a great candidate for the "Bachelor". It will be so interesting to see the cattiness and ugliness that some of the women will bring.

Dating 101.

What a great guy. Too bad he is spoken for now.

Can't wait to watch!!

January 4, 2010 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  10. sue

i agree that it is amusing to watch "The Bachelor" and "Bachelorette" since the track record of successful relationships is nill.

January 4, 2010 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Kris

My husband and I enjoy "The Bachelor" too – I remember watching it at the hospital where I was giving birth to my daughter almost seven years ago! We haven't watched every season since then, but we will tune in this time to every episode (love that DVR!)

January 4, 2010 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  12. mrose61

Despite knowing going in how many brain cells will likely perish, my guy and I will be watching the new season of The Bachelor. It's silly fair, but kind of soothing after a long Monday. Cotton candy to fall in to after the first day back at work. We will pick our favorites early. They usually stand out from the beginning. I will enjoy the man-candy that is Jake. All gleaming smiles and rippling abs 'n pecks. He looks so wholesome but I'm betting this is just a facade. I'm expecting lots of making out. Who can blame him? He has had a harem of expectant, available women hand picked for his perusal. And my Rick will enjoy the gorgeous girls. We'll both cringe over the excessively needy, catty and slutty ones. It will be entertaining. And who are we to judge? We met online thru a personals service...more than five years ago and still going strong. God bless America. Happy 2010. And GOOD LUCK Jake.

January 4, 2010 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Diva

I have to say, I really enjoy watching human beings make fools of themselves on these shows, but I never could get into The Bachelor or The Bachelorette. I feel like these desperate women fighting over some guy they don't know is actually a bit to sad for me (even though I can stomach the kids from Jersey Shore). And the men that vie for the attention of ONE women – well, really, that is just a bunch of sex starved men crossing their fingers that the show picked an easy girl! I think the track record has shown that these shows don't work, so why do people still want to be on them? I guess it's for the same reason people want to go on court shows (Judge Judy, People's Court), to say they did it.

January 4, 2010 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Franky, Land of Lincoln

I should be in the bachelor...but maybe in a couple years, give me time.

I don't watch it, although it is good for the guys who have been there previously. Are you kidding me? What's more arousing than observing and evaluating a whole bunch of girls who are checking you out? I don't know, but if God can give Adam wives(yes, wives!), then I'm definitely down with this...only if I'm on the show. But me watching it, na'h. I'll prefer the Fiesta Bowl in my list but that's because I like sports. By the way...

Bret the "Hitman" Hart is back? Say what?!?! Holy crap, that is something.

January 4, 2010 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Jen C.

Hailing from NJ, but living far, far away on the West Coast, I have been vehemently (and erroneously) clarifying to anyone who mentions this show that no one on this show is actually from NJ. Now I realize that Sammi "Sweetheart" is not only from NJ, but from my hometown. Good Lord.

I just want to laugh at this show, but I can't. It's just too frightening.

January 4, 2010 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  16. debi

Yes, silly us will be watching the show... just hope it doesn't conflict with the Cake Boss.

January 4, 2010 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |