December 31st, 2009

Gordon Ramsay launching cooking show for beginners

testing captions
testing captions

Kitchen meanie Gordon Ramsay is looking for amateur chefs for his new Fox show, expected to be called “Master Chef.”

This one is just for newbies. Chefs who have spent time in a professional kitchen will not be considered. Ramsay wants folks who love to cook for themselves and their family, but no one with professional training. Think of it as an “American Idol,” but for foodies.

Producers are staging auditions in 12 cities around the country, starting in early January. Interested contenders are required to appear at the auditions with a prepared dish. They will be given five minutes to heat up and plate the dish for the judges.

“People will be judged on personality and on the quality of the food they are bringing to us,” said supervising casting producer Ethan Petersen.

Tanya Steel, the editor in chief of epicurious.com, will be one of the casting judges. While the ultimate prize for winning the entire competition has not yet been announced, Petersen said the award will be “life-changing.”

“Master Chef” is already a hit in the United Kingdom and Australia. Ramsay’s other reality cooking competition, “Hell’s Kitchen,” focuses on professionals just starting their careers. This is the first time the chef has groomed complete amateurs in competition.

“The show is truly an inspirational show being produced by the same team that does the ‘Biggest Loser.' We are looking for people that aren’t just passionate about food but are passionate about life,” Petersen said.

Post by: ,
Filed under: television

1. Cynthia Price Queen Of The Sea

I can't wait until the show Im going to be glued to the TV set ,I love me some Gordon Ramsey who would'nt. when will we meet the new cast ? how many more cities will the producers be touring.

December 13, 2010 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  2. John

This is a great idea. My wife and I have little time (and counter space), but love cooking our meals at home, and new ideas are tips and tricks are ALWAYS welcome. We love the Food Network, but find that lately the shows are either too advanced or too geared towards entertainment, rather than cooking technique and recipe ideas.

November 12, 2010 at 4:27 am | Report abuse |
  3. jingy

Latest movies online

October 1, 2010 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  4. yakub

movies and entertainment

July 9, 2010 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  5. james

man i would love a chance to cook with cheif ramsay but i have had time in the cook's line what a shame..

January 3, 2010 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Jim W

Yes! – I've been threatening to start culinary school if (when) I get laid off from my office job.

My roommate sent me here and is making me fill out the app now. She's tried for years to get me to become a professional chef. Wow, imagine me in a kitchen with the Master Chef. I'd make him my spicy turkey burger or my famous BBQ chicken.

I love Gordon Ramsay and I think I could be on this show or the Biggest Loser!

Cheers!

January 2, 2010 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Gail

Wish this kind of thing was open to Canadians. *sigh*

January 1, 2010 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Shanna

Hello, I am a chef and foodie. I have been a fan of Chef Ramsay's for years. Granted he berates people on those shows, but they also ask for it when they sign up. He is just that way and has talked about being that way way back in his restaurants, but perhaps not to that level. Looking forward to seeing how this show goes!

January 1, 2010 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Donna

Oh no–! The most intriguing thing about him is how he can be so loud and demanding and then also be a pussycat–and I mean that respectfully–I mean he also has a softer and kinder side, and its all genuine!! I think he will show more of the kinder side with ametures.

January 1, 2010 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  10. LeeAnne

I think the reason he flips out so bad on Hell's Kitchen and Kitchen Disasters is because these people are supposed to be "professionals" meaning they should know better. It would tick me off too if a "professional" chef served me raw food, or cold food, or anything of the sort. These restaurants that they are vying for a job at charge plenty for a meal, it should be right the first time around, and shouldn't have to be sent back. I don't think he would yell and scream at someone who is just learning, but maybe he would. Who knows? Watch and find out.

January 1, 2010 at 5:11 am | Report abuse |
  11. Lorraine

The Australian version of Master Chef was fantastic. None of the usual, dog eats dog, only the strongest survives, you are the weakest link goodbye rubbish. People were judged on their cooking ability and not their looks. Conestants were praised, given constructive criticism, attended Master Classes to improve their skills, got their chance to cook one on one with a professional Chef for a chance to get a guaranteed spot in the final if they won. After watching the show, Australians went back into their kitchens to try the new recipes and cooking at home was the new trend. You Americans are going to enjoy the show!

January 1, 2010 at 2:15 am | Report abuse |
  12. Robert

I will definitely watch his new show. Yeah, he's foul mouthed and seems to be down right mean to people, but Hell's Kitchen is the boot-camp in the kitchen. I guess all the whiners above who think this the military boot camps should be all fluffy bunnies and kittens. When your trying to find the best you have to weed out the pack. People who work in the restaurant industry know what it takes to make it in a high traffic establishment. The weak should not apply.

January 1, 2010 at 1:25 am | Report abuse |
  13. David

I am totally into this. I want to go to Dallas being from Texas but will probably send in a video. I love Chef Ramsay

December 31, 2009 at 10:20 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Nancy

I would audition but again – who wants to be screamed at on national television?!

December 31, 2009 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
  15. From Ella, to "mike"

Mike, given your deplorable spelling, punctuation, and grammar, I believe you are the one who should "grab a book and learn something"-and the first book I suggest is a dictionary! I know many "housewifes" (and first graders, for that matter) who have a better command of basic sentence structure and punctuation than you have shown in your post. They all know enough to capitalize their names, at least.

As far as Ramsey goes-the man is a foul mouthed boor who can barely complete a sentence without cursing (or "cussing," according to Mike). Who cares how well he cooks? I wouldn't want to eat anything he'd had his hands on.

December 31, 2009 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Caroline

I think Gordon Ramsay is a brilliant chef, but don't just listen to me – let his hundreds of thousands of fans be the true marker of his inspiration! If you don't like watching his show or his mannerisms, than don't bother turning it on and leave those who do enjoy it, to do just that – enjoy good food. Sometimes it takes a person with his attitude to create reality for others – real reality, to bring others back down to earth and accept the situations they are in. I appreciate Chef Ramsay sharing his great knowledge of food with me and the rest of the world!

December 31, 2009 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  17. TrudyBird

However "exposes" themselves to this new show will no doubt be aware of Chef Ramsey's personality, unless they've been living under a rock. Personally I love the man and obviously so do millions of others or his shows wouldn't be so popular. Sticks and stones, mate. Sticks and stones.

December 31, 2009 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Rebecca Miller

I agree with Mike. Ramsey's so foul mouthed & down right mean. Why would anyone want to expose themselves to that type of treatment. Is this indeed going to be a "kinder, gentler" Ramsey or is he going to have the same rude & debasing attitude that he had on Hell's Kitchen? Either way, I won't watch him. He disgusts me with his supiority.

December 31, 2009 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  19. JR

Love this guy! I don't care if he stands there and cracks jokes while he reads the phone book, I'm tuning in to the new one for sure. He's one of the few shows that I bother to TIVO.

Btw, I saw a taped version on UK's Channel Four where he did a nationwide show where viewers cooked with him. Would love to do something like that. I did the recipes and they were great for the home cook. The red potatoes with pepper flakes side dish is one I still do at home on a regular basis.

If it's Gordon, bring it! He's a lot of fun if you get where he's really coming from.

December 31, 2009 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Thede Vilthatiam

I'm sick of reality TV in general. Ugh.

December 31, 2009 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  21. LBW

He seems to enjoy hurting people too much. Sick.

December 31, 2009 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  22. mike

who cares – this clown is just going to yell, scream and cuss at a bunch of housewifes pretending to be chefs. What's the thrill in watching him humiliate the contestants all while not teaching us anything about preparing a family meal. Grab a book and learn something

December 31, 2009 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  23. John

Watch the F-Word on BBCAmerica if you think all he does is scream and yell at the people on his shows.

December 31, 2009 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Grifstar

Wish we could get more Kitchen Nightmare on Fox

December 31, 2009 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  25. janis eliason

Let's hope Ramsey's new show will be without swearing of any kind. Let's give these new cooks a change and some incouragement.
    Hoping this show will be totally different (by word of mouth) in 2010.

December 31, 2009 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Jennifer

Hey Lisa – the US version of Kitchen Nightmares IS still going on. The new season premieres on January 29th at 9/8 central.

December 31, 2009 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  27. fee316

Nice. I can't wait to see that one!

December 31, 2009 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Debra R

Hmmm, who would want to work with him if he is going to swear and screech at them? Is this a kinder and gentler Ramsey we will see?

December 31, 2009 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Anita

If Gordon is on the show I'll watch it. He's a fantastic chef who demands excellence. Wish I was in the states and could audition for him.

@ DianimalDTS-Would you like some cheese to go with that whine?

December 31, 2009 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  30. DianimalDTS

Too bad his new show will be on FOX!!! Sure hope FOX regains it's senses and comes to an agreement with TWC. Otherwise, not much point in anyone cooking – then heating & plating for them! I voted to "get tough" with FOX rather than see the rates go up – again. I'll miss Gordon Ramsey, and NatGeo and Food TV, but would rather give them up than see my bills continue to climb when my paycheck has stalled out.

December 31, 2009 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Lisa

I love everything Gordon Ramsay does. I will definitely be watching this show, along with Hell's Kitchen. I am upset that he isn't doing Kitchen Nightmares here in the states anymore. But I get BBC and will continue to watch those.

December 31, 2009 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Eman

I watch his show kitchen nightmares, which is a fantastic show on the BBC channel... I'll give this one a shot..

December 31, 2009 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  33. AJ

RS, the article says (my emphasis below): "Interested contenders are required to appear at the auditions *WITH A PREPARED DISH*. They will be given five minutes to heat up and plate the dish for the judges."

I wonder if he's going to curse at everybody as much as he does on his other shows.

December 31, 2009 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  34. RS1981

Only 5 minutes to heat up and plate a dish ? I'm assuming that means that the meal is already prepped or what ? I don't think the show's going to do so hot over here. But I could be wrong. And if it does air, shouldn't it be on the Food Network ?

December 31, 2009 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Pam Garris

How do I find out the dates and cities for these auditions?

December 31, 2009 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
    • Todd Leopold, CNN.com Entertainment Producer

Hi Pam –

There's a link within the story - that has details on the cities and dates.

Best,