December 31st, 2009

First look at 'Saturday Night Live' 2010 lineup

testing captions
testing captions

"Saturday Night Live" has announced its first two celebrity hosts and musical guests for next year.

On January 9, basketball great Charles Barkley will host with Alicia Keys performing. This will be Barkley's second time hosting.

The following week, "Avatar's" Sigourney Weaver will take over, with musical guest The Ting Tings.

It's been a rough season so far for "SNL." In September, the show announced it was canning cast members Michaela Watkins and Casey Wilson.

With no breakout skits (and no Sarah Palin), it's been a parade of young starlets clearly uncomfortable with the hosting gig over the past several months. The one bright spot was Taylor Swift, with her sweet "Monologue Song" and spot-on Shakira impression.

Hopefully Barkley can turn things around for the sketch show in 2010 since athletes usually make great hosts. Isn't that right, Wayne Gretzky?

Filed under: Taylor Swift • television

1. Deborah

Taylor Swift the highlight?????? She was horrible! Who wrote this? After the show I thought she should apologize to Kanye.

January 5, 2010 at 4:17 am | Report abuse |
  2. Mel B. Toast

They need to lose the Gilly sketches. What a waste of that comedienne's talent!

January 5, 2010 at 1:19 am | Report abuse |
  3. jhoward

January Jones was nice to look at but wooden for sure! Taylor Swift is so incredibly boring i don't understand any of the accolades she has received at all, but then I'm not a 14 year old girl. Life is so puzzling.

Kristen wiig is amazing every time.

January 5, 2010 at 12:37 am | Report abuse |
  4. Benjy Edwards

Kristen Wiig as the "just kidding" Update guest is brilliant. Gilly is unwatchable. Also the "Sue, who can't keep a secret" has run its course. "What up with that" is brilliant. The funniest character all season, though, is the unfunny comedian Fred plays. The guy in the army jacket. Brilliant.

January 5, 2010 at 12:32 am | Report abuse |
  5. Rob

"What's up with that" is hilarious between Keenan and Jason Sudeikis! Andy Sandberg as Ras Trent and Mark Whalberg were ridiculous. Kristen Wiig as the girl who 1-ups everyone (Penelope?) and the Target cashier are a hoot, not to mention the lesbian news reporter. Seth Myers is rock solid on the news. Sure there are some dud skits here and there, but there always have been. I agree they need more A list hosts, and Timberlake is great (D*** in a box!).

January 4, 2010 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
  6. jim

Kristen Wiig's funniest character? Aunt Linda!! Course she doesnt do that one anymore. Instead it's all Gilly now which is the least funny of them all. Oh and to correct Elena earlier Lorne did leave the show for about 5 years back in the mid eighties I believe. Thats when you had people like Robert Downey, Michael Anthony Hall, the now dead Charles Rocket,etc. It was really bad then. Overall I still think the show can be funny. I have the first 4 seasons on dvd and even then they did some crappy unfunny skits, just not as many.

January 4, 2010 at 7:36 pm | Report abuse |
  7. TibbieMom

Surely I can't be the only one who liked Taylor's hosting job. The Monologue song had me in stitches. I thought she did a great job, and they used her in a LOT of skits. Cannot STAND Gilly, but I adore Kristin Wiig. When she does the Target lady, I can't stop laughing. Agreed, January Jones was the worst host so far this year. Also agreed, Justin Timberlake is AWESOME. He steals every skit he's in.

January 4, 2010 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
  8. AP

Charles Barkley, you gotta be kidding me! What happened to A listers hosting this show? I remember watching SNL thinking how great it was to have dramatists and more serious actors & actresses hosting. Now it's January Jones and Taylor squared... Who are they going to have hosting next... Snookie?

How about this lineup for possible hosts – Bruce Willis, Christian Bale, Russell Crowe, Denzel Washington, George Clooney, Sandra Bullock, Meryl Streep, Robert Downey Jr., Leonardo Dicaprio (PLEASE PLEASE SNL... some A list people!!!)

Personally I'd love to see Seth MacFarlane or Kiefer Sutherland host this year!

January 4, 2010 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Duni

You have good day, lousy days and great days.... I'm not a writer, but i can only guess how often you can make people laugh. Dwayne (the Rock) Johnson had some good skits. Taylor swift had her moments, etc.

If I can get laughs from them, entirely happy, other then that I'll keep a smile, cause if not... this is not the time to complain or not watch. Too many people are unemployed as it is.

I am holding out hope that they will have a few nights, back to back, that are just plain funny for no reason.

January 4, 2010 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Kayla

I disagree completely. This has been a really solid season excluding January Jones, and Taylor Swift – while entertaining – is nowhere close to being the highlight. Seth Meyers is doing a great job and it's no fault of his own that he doesn't have an election every season.

January 4, 2010 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Jason

A good start would be getting rid of Andy Samberg. Very rarely do I laugh at any skit where he's involved. His acting is horrible and he completely kills the scene with his cue card reading. He's been at this how long and can't remember a couple lines in a skit?

Kristen Wiig is also not particularly funny... it was painful to watch all those stupid "Gilly" bumpers on the Christmas special last month. She has her moments of brilliance, but if it's a skit that is centered around her, I often change the channel. The last time I laughed with her in a skit was "The View" with Taylor Swift. Her "Target Lady" is horrendous and unwatchable.

January 4, 2010 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Jonathan

Joseph Gordon Levitt went the extra mile and owned his show as a great guest host should do. Quit pushing the Taylor Swift thing, she was fine – nothing more.

January 4, 2010 at 9:25 am | Report abuse |
  13. Jeff

The writer apparently is not a regular SNL viewer. Or....they have a selective memory. Or worse.

Joseph Gorden Levitt and James Franco, just to name two, did really great work as hosts and ensemble players.

I honestly don't remember if she hosted in '08 or '09, but Anne Hathaway did a spectacular job. Bring her back.

I would also agree with one of the other comments that Kristin Wiig is being used (and perhaps abused) to carry skits and fill time. Some of her characters are so.....well, bizarre that they should only be offered in small doses, and not every week. The Gilly thing really is dead, and the Lawrence Welk skits have run their course, as well.

It would be great to bring Justin Timberlake on as a cast member, but he' d likely be taking a big pay cut. He's a comic talent. Truly.

January 3, 2010 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Bill

I completely disagree with these negatine comments. The show is quite good. Kristin Wigg is funny in whatever she does, and Keenan Thompson is just hilarious–"What Up With That?" The Obama impressions are spot on, and Fred is hilarious as Kenny G!. I do agree that the hosting has been pretty mediocre, but the regular cast is just great.

January 3, 2010 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Elena

Madonna: SNL began in 1975, not 1976! I, for one, have been watching SNL since that time, 35 years.

Of course, it's not the same, Belushi and Radner unfortunately are dead. I never liked Bill Murray anyway. Kristen Wiig is terrific I think but they need some fresh folks and more folks of color/different ethnicities. Lorne has been in the business for so long and I do believe he knows what he is doing or he wouldn't have been doing this show for 35 years now. I agree that Gordon-Levitt was terrific as a host and Taylor Swift wasn't so bad considering how young she is.

I am happy that SNL has lasted THIS long. And give Fred Armisen a break...he does a pretty good Barack Obama, who is half white so why the moaning over a *white guy acting as BO* ...hmmmmm? He is half-white. *grins*

January 3, 2010 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
  16. Lisa Brock

I like Kristen Wiig but she's virtually carrying the show now. I HATE that Gilly thing. Moronic. Seems like new writer's might help though I do love Seth and Update, still. Andy Sandberg has some pretty cool musicality and Timberlake and Alec Baldwin rule as hosts...

January 2, 2010 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  17. steve

I think you just have to weather the storm. The skits will get funnier. it's just a down season right now. Last time they talked about how bad SNL was, it was about 1995 when Mike Myers and company were leaving the show. about 2 really bad seasons came and went and you had Will Ferrell and Tina Fey and the show was funny again. The writing is lazy right now but should be better. have patience.

January 2, 2010 at 4:06 am | Report abuse |
  18. om

The "What's Up With That" skit was hilarious to me. It was like they were all ADHD on acid. Was too silly and funny. I loved it.
    Kristen Wiig is great, but I'd rather see her do Penelope again. I don't get the appeal of Gilly AT ALL.

January 1, 2010 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Mario

I'd like to see Colin Firth as a guest host with musical guest Whitney Houston. But please don't do that horrible "Whats Up With That" skit, its terrible.

January 1, 2010 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Madonna

I have been a fan and routine SNL watcher since its inception in 1976. Seasons come and go but they don't always win. This cast has great talent but they need a serious injection of good writing. Also, they need to have Justin Timberlake host again. He is hilarious and would be perfect for the cast! They also need a re-occurring funny character...like the Church Lady. This year, while I love Kristen Wiig, I cannot stand Gilly. Perhaps something akin to a conservative right winger who are great to laugh at when parodied. Anything...they need a jolt!

January 1, 2010 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  21. spleebo

Yes James Franco and Joseph Gordon Levitt did a great job but I had never even heard of Blake Lively and I thought she did excellent as well. I hope they don't go back to having sports stars host the show. They always tank. It's much better when they use actual actors that are used to remembering lines and performing.

January 1, 2010 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  22. sep

for the folks who just can't get enough reality on TV (which sounds uber-oxymoronic, by the way), the "faux" Studio 60 on The Sunset Strip should replace SNL and then the "real" Studio 60 On The Sunset Strip" should be play later in the week being the show behind the show within the show....the "faux" is funnier than the real SNL, the "real" is the next best thing to having The West Wing back....fictional comedy, fictional reality and quality work by Aaron Sorkin and Tommy Schlamme...sounds like win, win, win to me....PS..and evidence to the contrary, all of this is no more inane or insane than 90% of the crap currently being shoveled at us....

January 1, 2010 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Steve

I really blame NBC standards and Lorne Michaels' out dated view on whats funny that's ruining that show. The writers are great the cast is great....so what else could be the problem? Anymore that show is just doing skits making fun politicians in between car commercials.

January 1, 2010 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Wade

Long gone are the days of Dana Carvey, Mike Myers (Wayne's World)Victoria Jackson, David Spade, Phil Hartman, Chris Farley (who could forget the skit with Patrick Swayze), Dennis Miller, Adam Sandler, and Kevin Nealon. Let us not forget before their time, still roaming the halls of Rockefeller Center are the legends of Dan Aykroyd, Chevy Chase, John Belushi, Gilda Radner, and Eddie Murphy (Mr. Robinson's Neighborhood was one of the greatest skits ever, and who will ever replace Buckwheat).

I recorded every episode before the invention of TIVO. But the show has seemed to lose its edge over the years, or I have just lost interest. It has been a long run but its days may be nearing an end.

January 1, 2010 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
  25. Phil

What are you high? Taylor Swift was the highlight? Did you not see Joseph Gorden Levitt's Jason Mraz impression. That was more spot on that Swift's Shakira. Anybody can do a Shakira impression. James Franco was hilarious too. The only really crappy host was January Jones.

January 1, 2010 at 4:35 am | Report abuse |
  26. Dakevster

One black cast member. Nuff said.

January 1, 2010 at 12:29 am | Report abuse |
    • factual white guy

well maybe if some 'black' people would become responsible and put work into it, then maybe they could join Keenan- your opression is over black people; get over it, move on or shut up.

June 6, 2010 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Dakevster

SNL is behind the times because it refuses to look for minority talent. How can you have a white guy playing the president? Dave Chappelle show elevated sketch comedy and they are not close to being as funny as that show was.

January 1, 2010 at 12:27 am | Report abuse |
    • me again

pull your head out of your ass you fool- this isnt the 1950s. blacks can be racist too, did you know that?...

June 6, 2010 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Jon

Seriously, Taylor Swift was the -highlight-? What does that tell you. Yeah, I guess if you consider funny an (overrated) teen singer who doesn't even try to act, but focuses on mostly reading cue cards. Speaking of reading cue cards, by far the biggest disaster was the January Jones episode...she couldn't have been more wooden even if she tried. The only skit she nailed was the mock 50's PSA – but let's face it, that's really far bread & butter anyway, and besides, anyone could've pulled it off. Another starlet who gets acting work based on her looks alone.

The highlight for me was the James Franco episode, as well. Well written, funny. Although he has a tendency to overact too much. And squint a lot.

December 31, 2009 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
  29. katie

I completly disagree about last seasons host. Joseph Gordon Levitt did a fantastic job hosting, and i think his episode was one of the best in the last few years

December 31, 2009 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
  30. om

James Franco was a great host and obviously comfortable doing so, and that particular show was really good. It had me howling.

December 31, 2009 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |