December 24th, 2009

Studio releases first peek at 'Karate Kid' remake

Fans of the 1984 "Karate Kid" movie have more than five months to wait until Jackie Chan's remake hits theaters, but Columbia Pictures released the first preview this week.
            "The Karate Kid" remake stars Jaden Smith - the 11-year-old son of Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith - in Ralph Macchio's old role.
            Chan fills the martial arts master role that Pat Morita played in the original.
            But the biggest substitution is the location - Beijing, China.
            Smith's character - 12-year-old Dre Parker - is uprooted from Detroit when his mother (played by Taraji P. Henson) takes a job in Beijing. Like Macchio's Daniel, who moved from New Jersey to Los Angeles, Dre is confronted by a bully skilled in karate.
            His fortunes change after he is befriended by Mr. Han (Chan) - a maintenance man who is secretly a kung fu master.
            "The only way to stop them is to face them," Mr. Han tells Dre.
            Instead of Morita's famous "wax on, wax off" repetitive teaching method, Chan uses "Take off you jacket ... put it on."
            The news release from Colombia summarizes it:
            "As Han teaches Dre that kung fu is not about punches and parries, but maturity and calm, Dre realizes that facing down the bullies will be the fight of his life."
            "The Karate Kid" is set for a June 11 release across the United States

Post by:
Filed under: movies

1. Cheeze

Why did all these uninterested people take the time to read the article and then post a negative response? Disagreeing is always fine, but reading and writing is the OPPOSITE of uninterested...

Remakes do not all suck....and you are worried some B rated movie from the 80s is going to lose its AWE, please, it will increase revenue and sales for the original and new versions in Blu Ray...which would be good for fans...right or wrong

And much like haters of bands, politics, and most everything else, your points are thin and immature...you are trying to convince people with points you can not possibly have any experience, rational thought, or any real info on. Thank you for making the rest of us laugh by showing us how lonely you are...

....oh and to you HAP-PY HOL-I-DAYS!

December 29, 2009 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  2. PAINguin

I grew up on the original Karate Kid movies. I also love Jackie Chan's movies as well, but to remake the Karate Kid and use someone like Jaden Smith for Daniel Larusso's role is ridiculous. Ralph Macchio was much older when the first one was made, there will not be any real fight scenes coming from this 11 year old.

What a disaster!!!

December 29, 2009 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Billy Romps

This movie will be awesome – A city kid, living on welfare, goes to a socialist country to kick some commie tail-feathers...........and why not? Living on the public dole is bound to produce hostile feelings in youths best let out by sheer violence! Poor old Ralph Macchio won't even get a cameo in this cheesefest.........Hollywood – please get some creativity and leave the classics alone.

December 29, 2009 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Chaytay

There will never be another Karate Kid!!!!!

December 29, 2009 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Anita

Ok, ok... I just saw the trailer. I agree with Vincent, I think I may actually enjoy the movie. It looks cute and I think it will appeal to the younger generation. I think I will take my nephews to see it.

December 29, 2009 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Erik L.

Before anyone gets as upset as I did when I read this, note that the film has been renamed "The Kung Fu Kid." Obviously, Karate is a Japanese martial art, and Kung Fu is a Chinese martial art. Consequently, calling a remake in which Jackie Chan, who is Chinese, provides instruction in Kung Fu, which is a Chinese martial art, "The Karate Kid" would be highly offensive!

December 29, 2009 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Christ

This movie is going to be TERRIBLE. There is no point in remaking this movie. Poor choice casting Will Smith's son. This movie will sell tickets on the name alone but, will be forgotten rather quickly.

December 29, 2009 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Damon

Um....Steve in PA.

You can kinda look at it like Pat Morita jumped ship ......but he died 2005.

As for this movie.......seriously....it's not for "you" its for your 10-15 year old just like the original was for ME at the time. With that being said it looks great and I bet it will be a great movie and it will surely increase wushu/kungfu memberships across the nation. Remakes are fine as long as they are made with the right spirit and not a money grab. You can tell by the Trailer they're heart is in the right place. Hopefully it will be great.

December 29, 2009 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  9. John

To those complaining that Hollywood needs to quit making remakes:

This is what happens after a writers strike. These films are put into production months, if not years before their release. Last years writers strike put a hamper on things thus why we have all the remakes coming at us like mad. Give it some time and new "ideas" will start to come back.

December 29, 2009 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Marz

I think ya'll are missing the "big picture". For one, how can it be called 'Karate Kid' when he is learning Kung Fu? Second, Ralph Macchio "Daniel" was a teenager in high school. How violent can a middle school be? This can be a fun and entertaining movie but it should not be dubbed a remake of the 'Karate Kid'.

December 29, 2009 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Tony in MA

oh, yes I forgot to mention for the folks above who don't seem very informed... Pat Morita died several years ago(R.I.P.).

December 29, 2009 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  12. DP

Wash on, wash off!

December 29, 2009 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Tony in MA

I started training in martial arts as a teenager(I'm now 42), working at a Japanese restaurant as a busboy while learning Okinawan Goju-ryu from the owner... so when "Karate Kid" came out, I was thrilled, to say the least!! LOL But, this re-make will most likely die a quick death at the theatres. Jackie Chan has had a GREAT career, but his US-base films are mediocre at best. It pains me to say this, but it's time to retire. As for anything related to Will Smith – sorry, he's lost touch with reality years ago... they buy themselves into whatever hobby they have at the time, like when Jada wanted to be a heavy metal rocker(?!), so they paid their way into a spot on Jay Leno, and a slot at Ozzfest, to much groaning and disapproval. Same thing here... *sigh*

December 29, 2009 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  14. CT

The Karate Kid is learning Kung Fu? WTF? Why not boxing? Idiots!

December 29, 2009 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Vincent

Hollywood remakes are nothing new. Classic movies from the past don't always play well to new generations. I loved the original "Karate Kid" and when my daughter asked if I wanted to watch the trailer for this remake, my silent reaction was "no way, its bound to be awful".
    I watched anyway and was pleasantly surprised by the apparent novelty while staying true to the original theme. If the trailer is any indication of the rest of the film, I think I might actually enjoy it.

December 29, 2009 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Rick in NJ

hey, Steve in PA ... Pat Morita died 4 years ago. I wonder if THAT's the reason he's not involved???

December 29, 2009 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Brandon

What the...
    Kung Fu is not the same as Karate... If he's a "Kung Fu Master" then shouldn't they have called it "The Kung Fu Kid?" I don't get it, and I'm not really interested.

December 29, 2009 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Rebecca

No, no, no, no....
    Dumb, dumb, dumb...
    Bad, bad, oh so very very bad....

So sick and tired of remaked movies!! They are never as good as the original so why keep wasting all this money on trying to recreated something that was already created? Right a new script already!

December 29, 2009 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Jazzgrinder

Can't wait to see how both actors fair. Some remakes turn out to be better than the original. Look at Omega Man and I Am Legend.

December 29, 2009 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Daniel

BOOOOOO! This is just another part of China's "Look at us we are the best" propaganda wave. I bet this movie sucks pretty bad.

December 29, 2009 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  21. pawn9784

Are you kidding? Remaking a movie happens, but changing everything about the original but the title seems pretty dumb. Where is the karate in this if he is learning kung fu? Maybe to others who also think all asians look alike and every martial art is karate this is okay, but the rest of us find this insulting and lame.

Call it something else, since everything is different but a recycled plot idea.

December 29, 2009 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Anita

I loved the Karate Kid!! After reading the plot to the new one I'm not interested in seeing it at all. Bummer.

December 29, 2009 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Gator-LOS

NO WAY REMAKE IS AWESOME! the 84 movie is outdated already.. this will be awesome. im excited... and all you haters will be at the movies watching it too!

December 29, 2009 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  24. BlowTorch

Karate Kid was a nice story but totally BS. I mean, how can anyone train for a few months, enter a tournament and beat black belts without getting lucky?

December 29, 2009 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  25. SistaGirl

"I guess Will & Jada scouted the whole Hollywood archives to introduced their son."

What are you talking about? Jaden Smith has been in several movies this is no introduction.

Can't wait to see the remake!

December 29, 2009 at 2:56 am | Report abuse |
  26. Steve in PA

When I heard about this movie months ago, I thought it was a joke. I guess Columbia Pictures has a ton of money to waste on un-original ideas. Do they really think they can get people to see this remake of a classic? I have yet to see a remake that was better than the original. The Day the Earth Stood Still, was a remake that was horrible. Sure, the Special Effects were really cool, but the movie and the new take on it just ruined the whole thing. Jaden was in that remake as well, and for a young actor, he needs years more of acting classes before he comes anywhere close to being good. He was barely tolerable in "Pursuit Of Happyness" unlike his father who is a very good actor. And, just because his father and mother are both actors doesn't mean their children have to be as well. Talent doesn't always pass from one generation to another.

As for Jackie Chan, I have no problems with his acting, as long as you can understand him. He is incredibly talented and skilled and I have to wonder why he would sign up for this disaster. When they first talked about doing the remake, Pat Morita was going to be involved and was going to be the trainer. Maybe he read the script and jumped ship knowing when the rest of us already know.

They will either dumb this movie down or politically correct it and neither will be a winner. I know I won't be spending $10 to see this on the big screen.

December 28, 2009 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Lynn

You have two good actors...seems a shame they have do follow in someone else's footsteps...Ralph and pa will ALWAYS be rembered for the Karate Kid...Jaden and Jackie deserve their own screenplay, not something recycled...

December 28, 2009 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  28. Diva

I don't see myself enjoying this at all. As a huge fan of the original (I was a young girl totally in love with Ralph) I think this will be really disappointing. I get that when they remake a film they need to update it to fit 2010, but that usually takes away from the story. Here is an idea – why not make original movies instead of ruining classics! Then we won't have anything to compare it too!

December 27, 2009 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  29. 倪满石

中国北京欢迎史密斯

December 27, 2009 at 6:51 am | Report abuse |
  30. 倪满石

欢迎史密斯来中国北京,请他认真体会一下中国的工夫,更要他了解中国古老的文明史,欢迎你,史密斯

December 27, 2009 at 6:50 am | Report abuse |
  31. randybidcaller

Come on Hollywood, start writing new movies and stop remaking films that should not be remade. I prefer the 1984 version and will not see this remake either.

December 27, 2009 at 2:48 am | Report abuse |
  32. Debra R

Why can't hollyweird come up with something ORIGINAL? You have the actors....Chan and Jaden..... aren't there anymore scriptwriters?

December 26, 2009 at 9:23 am | Report abuse |
  33. Albert

Boo! The first Karate Kid is a jewel!
    And like jewelry, I prefer the real thing. I guess Will & Jada scouted the whole Hollywood archives to introduced their son. Bad gamble
    Not interested.