December 23rd, 2009

Alyssa Milano takes on 'Jersey Shore'

Actress Alyssa Milano can’t stand the "Jersey Shore" (the show, not the beach).

In a spoof video posted on the “Funny or Die” comedy Web site, Milano expresses her distaste with the program by being transformed from her fresh-faced self into a doppelganger of the MTV reality show star Nicole Polizzi, nicknamed “Snooki.”

The transformation (which could be Milano’s most powerful role since "Who's the Boss' " Samantha Micelli) includes an aggressive spray tan, plenty of dark eyeliner, acrylic nails and a couple of digital inches added to her bust and backside.

The end of the video declares, “No wonder our perception of Jersey is distorted.”

Milano has previously criticized the MTV show. She isn’t alone. The show is already under fire from Italian-American groups for its depiction of Italian-Americans and for an episode where Snooki is sucker-punched in the face by a man.

Post by: ,
Filed under: television

« Previous entry
  1. big richard

I'm an Italian from Jersey and I just wanna see Alyssa's bewbs! ( . )( . )

September 17, 2013 at 10:38 am | Report abuse |
  2. visit my site

Great items from you, man. I've take into account your stuff previous to and you're just extremely excellent. I actually like what you have got here, really like what you are saying and the way during which you assert it. You make it entertaining and you still care for to stay it sensible. I can not wait to read much more from you. This is really a tremendous site.

September 9, 2012 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
  3. Midge

seriously if you don't like it don't watch it. its all for entertainment...its pure humor. Previous posts have stated it. The only people who look like idiots are the ones on the shows. People are getting defensive because they know people are like that. Not saying all of them are like that but there are italians who act that way. I am Polish and people always make comments about pollocks who are dumb...Well I'm a doctor and i full Polish. So therefore everyone nationality has there people that give a bad name,

December 28, 2009 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Jessica*

People know that the stuff on FunnyorDie is mostly scripted right?

Anytime there is a TV show of a certain type of people – especially on VH1 or MTV – they always portray themselves in a bad light. Whether they are black or white (like the Jersey Shore kids!) or pregnant teenagers or overweight and trying to lose weight. That's what these "reality" shows are about.

Who wants to watch MTV to follow around a group of kids who just sit at home and do their homework and obey their parents? BORING!

Then we'd have nothing to complain about!

December 28, 2009 at 4:59 am | Report abuse |
  5. whateve

Where are all the white hollywood residents complaining about the shallow airheads on The Hills?? Do they give white people in LA a bad name? NO!! So why does Jersey Shore supposedly give Italian Jersey folk a bad name? STOP TALKING ABOUT THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

December 28, 2009 at 2:20 am | Report abuse |
  6. dee

VH1 needs to step up and show music videos 24/7 to put mTV back in its place. Like Obama, let me be clear: I like sensational music, not the sensationalizing of sick people.

December 27, 2009 at 11:00 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Melinda

Those fools arent even from Jersey, thats the sad part. Now New Yorkers wont claim these folks as one of their own. Thats a shame! Blame Jersey. Typical NY move

December 25, 2009 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Carrie

I think Italians are being too sensitive. Different ethic groups are portrayed on TV negatively all the time, So what!!
    I am Puerto Rican born and raised in Jersey and I have heard all the jokes and seen the sterotyping on tv. No big deal! I especially heard a lot of it from Italians which have no problem making fun of other ethnic groups (trust me)
    Why is it ok to laugh and joke about others but God forbid its an Italian!!
    I spend my summers at the Jersey Shore with my family as a child and yes I met people like the cast of JS all the time. Get over it! Its your turn Orange folks with hard high hair!! lol

December 25, 2009 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Winnie

I live in South Jersey, and this show STINKS. This isn't reality – it is mindless trash, portrayed by "talentless bimbo's and bimbettes". Your 15 minutes of fame has run its course – get off of the airways.

December 25, 2009 at 9:23 am | Report abuse |
  10. Jeff Fiorentino

Well I'm only half Italian so at most I would only be half offended but on a serious note and to be quite honest it's just entertainment. Only the truly stupid would believe that all Italian Americans are this way. The Dice Man made a career out of being "Jersey". Perhaps these kids on this show identify with the image and act this way because it's all they know in the small area they grew up in.

To be frank between Fonzy, and Travolta in Grease Italian Americans have always been portrayed by Hollywood as the greaser Guido mobster image. But there are other stereotypes for Italians too. Heck even Tony Danza who was on Who's the boss with Milano has always played fairly stereotypical Italian roles if you think about it. The dumb yet well meaning tough guy saying "hey, hey yo yo woe" and crap like that. Usually in fact though Italians are mobsters and criminals in the minds of many thanks to a mixture of Hollywood and real life. Bada Bing bada boom. I'm only half Italian but I can tell you I've never said those words once, and would probably stick a fork in the side of my own head if I ever did!

In fact it was probably Hollywood in the first place that created the stereotype that these people on Jersey shore are modeling themselves after. Dice Clay made a career out of this Jersey stereotype. Sadly people emulate what they see in movies and TV. I wish people didn't do that and were smarter, but the fact is they do, and true individuality is dead and has been for some time. People look to icons or stereotypes to give them direction as to who they will be. They identify with a character at an early age and it gets burned into their minds.

These kids on Jersey shore aren't doing anything different than when I was a kid and everyone in school wanted to act like Vinnie Barbarino from Welcome back Kotter. (or whatever the heck his name was) Some of them I've run into 25 years later and they're still Vinnie, or Fonzy. Some of them aren't even Italian which I always found odd, but then Fonzy wasn't played by Italian guy anyway. It's less about Italian and more about the image in a lot of cases although typically the Guido image is reserved for Italians.

Look, it's just a stupid TV show, but it's a reality show, so it's part set up and part real but the point is don't be mad at MTV for marketing a program that depicts people as they are. If you're a sensitive Italian American who's outraged. Be angry at these kids for acting this way and giving people a false perception of your nationality. Or truth be told be angry at their parents for raising them in some stereotypical image / lifestyle. After all a lot of who we are comes from our parents and how we were raised. Even though paradoxically like I said Hollywood is probably where it all came from in the first place as far as where these kids or their parents saw the Guido persona in the first place.

It is what it is, but it doesn't bother the half of me that's Italian. But the French half of me finds the whole thing and the show rather amusing. Sad, but amusing none the less.

Jeff Fiorentino
    Los Angeles, CA

December 25, 2009 at 3:56 am | Report abuse |
  11. KCV

As a black woman, I was not really upset with the stereotypes portrayed in Jersey Shore, but understand the feelings. I HATE to see my people portrayed constantly in a negative light most times. Unfortunately, after watching African-Americans act like fools on TV since Gone with the Wind, I think other races were immune to the feelings of rage that Italian Americans are now feeling. I'm also sure a lot of black folks are thinking "good, now u see how we feel"...which is definitely not right, but human. I pray the world will treat me based on my actions, not ignorant fools on TV (or the ones u run across in everyday life) that happen to be from the same race as me. However, I do agree that we can not start censoring things based on "taste and lack of class". I went to private schools, college, married my highschool sweet heart, no teen/out of wedlock pregnancies, no colorful and plastic weaves, not loud talking, not lazy, not ignorant....but I still have to fight those stereotypes on a daily basis....unfortunately, welcome to my world!

December 25, 2009 at 3:24 am | Report abuse |
  12. hernyaccent

Alyssa, why didn't you complain when other groups were being exploited?

December 24, 2009 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
  13. AboutNewJersey.com

to several people – especially to "w" who said that this show just depicts New Jerseyans the way we are – well that's sort of hard for the show to do since all the cast members are from New York and Rhode Island. If people didn't have a comprehension problem, they would know that Sammi is the only New Jerseyan and she is from Hazlet, Mike who was introduced as Manalapan is actually from Staten Island also. What most people think of as a "New Jerseyan" as actually a New Yorker, but since the media is controlleld by New York – they have worked very hard at painting New Jerseyans in this way.

if you want some representation of New Jerseyans – just look at the movies – Meryl Streep, Jack Nicholson, Anne Hathaway, Scott Wolf, Tom Cruise, Susan Sarandon, Danny Devito, Allen Alda, Brooke Shields. There are too many to name.

Also, to the New Jerseyans who say they are tired of people ignorantly making fun of the state and New Jerseyans and are glad they left. If you're so upset, then why don;t you stand up for the state and educate people on what New Jersey is really like instead hanging your head down in shame. I've been to 40 states and lived in six of them. I know what the rest of the country is like – and let me tell you – people who make fun of New Jersey and New Jerseyans – have no clue about what they are talking about. They're just regurgitating the same old unoriginal lame jokes that some two bit late night talk show host tells.

For more on the REAL New Jersey and the Jersey Shore...

December 24, 2009 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Blasphemystic

None of these losers are from the state of NJ. They were brought here to do this show. I watched this for about 20 minutes and I asked myself... how does the parents and their other family and friends feel???? I would be ashamed and would NOT want my face shown with these losers. People lost values in normal every day life. We all have been brainwashed to accept normality as boring and uncool.
    When I see these fools, I dont see them as Italian Americans or American idiots.. I just see them as IDIOTS.

December 24, 2009 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
  15. Steven

Housewives of Orange county...dumb, shallow, fake, Orange County people...HW of Atlanta, dumb, shallow, fake Atlanta Blacks....HW of New Jersey, dumb, shallow, fake Jersey-ites. HW of New York...same thing, all of thes shows are Steriotypes of each demographic. Flavor flav shows a dumb, ugly black, just like I love New York. Jersey Shore is the same thing, dumb, shallow, fake Italians. We all know these type exist and its fun to make fun of them.

December 24, 2009 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
  16. mother

What annoys me is that those low class jackasses aren't from NJ!!! If you look at their bios on MTV.com...they are from NY! NJ is taking the hit for this...not fair!

December 24, 2009 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
  17. slickrick

(gasp) outrage over a show that makes cartoons out of a proud people with a rich history....I must have missed all of the outrage over Atlanta Housewives...Flavor of Love....you get the picture....selective outrage is lame

December 24, 2009 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
  18. Laura

I hate MTV. back in my day they actually played MUSIC VIDEOS, and it was great! Now, I hate paying for MTV, It infuriates me that MTV and other 'slut' channels are always included in basic cable/dish offerings. I bet if people had the chance to drop this one channel (and therefor not fund it) it would go off the air for good. The only people watching this is c*rap is stupid kids (mentally) I can only hope someday we can actually choose the channels we pay for (support) and the garbage that hollywierd thinks we want will go away.

December 24, 2009 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
  19. it's just an entertainment show....

what is the big deal? mtv does not come out and say that this is reality, and anyone who knows anything about mtv's reality shows is that they are all scripted...just look at the hills. if you consistantly throw racism out there, racism in america will never end. everybody has a right to their own opinion, and if you don't like what someone is saying, just walk away! all these 'pc' watchdogs needs to lighten up a little bit!

December 24, 2009 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
  20. Peachtee

The misrepresentation of any ethnic group is never funny. Unfortunately the cast of the Jersey Shores thinks that it is classy and cool to portray themselves, Italians and New Jersey as they are doing. I am an African Amerian woman from the midwest and if you are from Chicago, people think gangster, crime and Al Capone (he's been gone for a while). I am not sure what has to happen for people to realize that this is not funny and that it is not the best way to become famous.

December 24, 2009 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
  21. Brent

I'm from Texas, married an Italian American North Jersey girl (most of which are nothing like these fools), and lived here for 4 years. Jersey folks get a bad rap precisely because of shows like this. Personally, I think it's GD hilarious-my wife not so much. Jersey has it's good and bad, it just seems that the media likes to highlight the bad, because as a society we think it's spectacular to watch people act foolishly and pass judgment on them. I don't get pissed when NJ people ask me "hey, did you ride a horse and wear a cowboy hat growing up?" If people think Jersey is full of these people, that speaks only to their ignorance, just as thinking all Texans ride horses and live on ranches. BUT. However, caricaturization is rooted in truth- I personally have absolutely no use for "the shore" cause these losers are there...

December 24, 2009 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
  22. doug

I've lived in NJ all my life, and used to go to the clubs at the shore, and believe me the "characters" being portrayed in the show are absolutely real. Thats the way it is at the shore, for the most part. There are plenty of "normal" people who go clubbing at the NJ shore, but these guidos and guidettes are everywhere. But in all fairness, a good portion of them come from Staten Island so it isnt fair to assume all people in Jersey are like this. In the end its just a stupid MTV show so get over it and dont take it so seriously. Its friggin entertainment.

December 24, 2009 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
  23. Casey

Solution: Don't watch

It's just that simple.

December 24, 2009 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
  24. Sharon O

Think about the MTV/Reality show demographic – teens and young adults. Believe it or not, there are some young people who are not exposed to a lot of different ethnic groups. If they look at Flava of Love, I Love NY or Jersey Shore they will soon think this is the way everyone in these groups act. Don’t blame the networks entirely; the advertisers also have some responsibility in this. They want shows where they can market their products. True, Domino’s pulled their ads but I am sure MTV has other advertisers willing to hawk their products. Think about the VMAs – some type of drama happens every year but sponsors still line up to buy ad time.

December 24, 2009 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
  25. Lori C

I think this show and shows like it excuse and maybe even glorify bad behavior not to mention that the young people in these shows seem to have no self-respect for themselves at all.

December 24, 2009 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
  26. Mobius

This is the culture you're feeding your children. Nice going, America.

December 24, 2009 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
  27. Melissa

Josh is right, the uproar about ethnic stereotypes is not sincere. White Italians had no problem when a subset of African-americans were portraying blacks in a bad light: Flavor of Love, I Love NY, For the Love of RayJ, etc.not to mention various characters in TV history like Martin's Shanaynay. Its a joke for them to take a stand opposing stereotypes.

December 24, 2009 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |
  28. Dfine

Best show on TV, leave it, actually when is season 2?

December 24, 2009 at 10:28 am | Report abuse |
  29. Ri

That show is absolutely disgusting. The "people" (and I use that term loosely) that are a part of the cast of "Jersey Shore" should be ashamed of themselves. They are nothing but a perfect example of the self-centered, obnoxious, pain in the @$$ "BENNYs" that invade our Shore towns every summer, renting houses, having loud "porch parties" to annoy the crap out of the REAL Jersey Shore natives, and stir up trouble. ((For any uneducated individuals reading this a "BENNY" is the nickname given by REAL Jersey Shore natives to all outsiders hailing from "Bayonne, Elizabeth, Newark and NEW YORK"))

December 24, 2009 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
  30. RB

Can you say limelight seeker? Alyssa's light has long since flickered out and, honestly, why should I care what she thinks? She is just looking for a little free publicity. Who's your Daddy?

December 24, 2009 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |
  31. Jim Mix

HEY ALYSSA MILANO, WHAT HAPPENED AGAIN? YOUR CAREER FLOUNDER AGAIN?! HOW COME YOUR AGENT NANCY HITLER ISN'T CREATING THIS FOR HER 10% YOU PIECE OF LYING CRAP?! YOU'RE FULL OF IT!

ALYSSA SAYS: "WHAN! WHAN! I NEED TO BE POPULAR AGAIN!"

WHY DON'T YOU GO AND POSE FOR NAKED PICTURES AGAIN AND HAVE YOUR BROTHER CRY OVER THEM, AGAIN! THEN YOU CAN SKREW NBC NEWS AGAIN!

SHOW YOUR "UGLIES" BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT YOU NEED TO COLLECT A PAYCHECK! AND YOUR MOTHER AND CELEBRITY LOOP CAN GO TO HELL!

December 24, 2009 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  32. ronjon

There are just not enough offensive shows on today. I would like to suggest some spins offs: "The Polish comedy hour". " Budweiser days" with an Irish and Native American cast. Maybe "Blacks run amuck in Montgomery". "Whitey is not really my cousin after all". Happy Holidays!

December 24, 2009 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
  33. Mole Hill

So a show depicting a small group of Italian Americans and thier antics, choices and behaviors is offensive and perpetuating a negative stereotype but a fictional show like the Sopranos which is also depicting a negative stereotype is perfectly ok.. better yet it's great because killing is so much cooler than spray tans? I don't get it.

December 24, 2009 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
  34. akwentoo

How many of those people are actually from New Jersey? I count one. So if any state is being given a bad name, it is most likely NY.

December 24, 2009 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
  35. D

I am from NJ and I chose to NOT go to Sleazeside for after my prom b/c it was so nasty and was filled with the type of people from this show, and that was over 15 years ago. The place is what it is, I am sure the locals aren't complaining when these people come and dump all their money each summer on rentals, food, alcohol, stupid t-shirts, hats that only go sideways, etc. Besides, isn't only one of the cast member actually from NJ? Anyone complaining about should go to the "Shore" any summer night and tell me what they see. You tell me if any of it is falsely portrayed.
    And this Jersey pride thing is a joke, we aren't from Kosovo or Estonia where we are fighting for our lives and the victims of ethnic cleansing. We are from freakin New Jersey. If people think Newark Airport and South Jersey/Philthadelphia is all it is, fine, don't come. I'll go North and go on a hike.
    Again, you go to Seaside Heights at night during the summer and you tell me if you see things differently than what is being portayed on this show.
    Besides, Schnickers is a hysterical little troll!!!

December 24, 2009 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
  36. Johnson

people are hating on this show for portraying italians being too crazy...its really nothing different then any other show on MTV "lets exploit the most obvious stereotypes. "

Remember making the band...man those were some black ass people. Sometimes I couldn't understand those people because of their slang and bad language, their loud squawking when they fight, and overall "thug life" mentality. MTV wanted it to seem like this is how black people act when they are together. Do I think differently of black people...not at all. I would rather would make fun of their stereotypes and expect them to do the same to us, because there are 20000 things to make fun of white people for. I'm sure Jersey shore is one of them.

December 24, 2009 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |
  37. ............

i hate MTV to begin with and think this show blows, but i did catch that episode of snokers getting punched. i hate that MTV builds up to that one scene then blocks it out entirely. how is that reality tv? they show gays/lesbians being intimate and teen moms and every other aspect of "reality show" life, but fail to show us this. then at the end of the show give us some PSA about domestic violence, which i believe should be there, but why can't we see this dumb cnt getting what she (and the other doosh bags on that show) get what they deserve for continuing to portray this negative stereotype of Jersey and Italian-Americans.

December 24, 2009 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
  38. G Rogers

Quit whining! Imagine being a southerner during the "Beverly Hillbilly" and "Green Pastures" era.

December 24, 2009 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |
  39. Plains-er

Most folks here in the central US are so happy to have Dish Network for way more programming so as not to watch self-absorbed east or west coast-ers carrying on as if they are the most special people ever. Don't watch the show; didn't watch the 'Sopranos'...not all of central state-ers are farmers and most certainly we're all not 'dumb hicks'! We know not all Jersey people are stupid-talking, self-absorbed idiots, etc.
    Very happy to be 'boring' and much less 'drama'tic out on the Plains!!

December 24, 2009 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
  40. Brian

As someone from the south it's nice to see another part of the country get stereotyped by the entertainment media for a while.

December 24, 2009 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
  41. Mario Luigi

THATS A SPICY MEATABALL.

December 24, 2009 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
  42. gnav

I do not condone violence but that punch in the face to that little hooker was the funniest thing I've seen in a long time.

Morons...

December 24, 2009 at 9:50 am | Report abuse |
  43. Candace

What about Green Day's American Idiot?

December 24, 2009 at 9:50 am | Report abuse |
  44. BJ

I am African-Amercan and I definately understand where the Italian-Americans are coming from. Like Josh, I cringe whenever I see Flava Fool on t.v. Thank God we got a black president to offset all of his foolishness and bafoonery. I think we just have to keep in mind that all races and ethnic groups have some fools in our midst that make us embarressed to be what we are. Hopefully, people realize that the Jersey Shore fools are just a slice (pun intended) of the many Italian-Americans in this country. Italians you have plenty of folks to be proud of. I know that Tony Soprano and Snookie is not the best you have to offer.

December 24, 2009 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
  45. Julie

It's the same thing with Kentucky. Each state has a stereotype- get over it. If peple are ignorant enough to think the whole state is that way they let them think it.
    Alyssa just wants to get back in the spotlight again

December 24, 2009 at 9:16 am | Report abuse |
  46. Natalie

People think these people are from NJ they ARENT, they are from NY do your homework before you talk people!

December 24, 2009 at 9:00 am | Report abuse |
  47. Clinton

I'm not a big fan of this video. Not because of the whole Jersey Shore thing, but because it is actually a parody of the powerful "Dove – Evolution" video (look for it on YouTube) that shows the transformation of an average looking model into a supermodel for a print ad campaign. I'd rather the message of that video not get diluted.

December 24, 2009 at 8:55 am | Report abuse |
  48. d-lew

I'm from Hamilton, Ohio and the Cincinnati, Ohio radio stations broadcast all the time about how we're a bunch of podunk hicks and hillbillies in Butler County, how our national anthem is "Free Bird", and they call our city Hamiltucky (after Kentucky – which gets razzed more than us about their sterotypes). We've put up with this banter for years because we are laid back, easy going, putting on no airs what-so-ever type of people, with a sense of humor. It's all in fun because we know we're cooler than the people from Cincinnati anyway – they wish they lived in Hamilton -haters.

December 24, 2009 at 8:53 am | Report abuse |
  49. tabonga

I've been living in Los Angeles for the last 14 years, but I was born and raised in Italy for nearly 30. I don't understand all these Italian groups who pretend to be offended by a depiction of Italians that MIGHT be derogatory. Well, guess what? Italians (in Italy) are like that if not worse, and when they moved to Jersey at least they got some of the good American genes. So, Jersey Shore encapsulates all that is wrong with Italy with all that's good with America. And Alyssa has all my support.

December 24, 2009 at 8:50 am | Report abuse |
  50. Lynn

You go Ms. Milano. It's time for people to CELEBRATE their culture not to have people MOCK it. MTV always goes for the lowest common denominator....

December 24, 2009 at 8:48 am | Report abuse |
  51. blake omaha

the people are putting on a show for the cameras, its purely for entertainment. MTV became trash somewhere along the line. probably after they stopped playing music videos and started playing The Real World. MTV targets to a high school girl, i think most people stop watching after they recieve their diploma. The people who watch MTV after High school obviously dropped out or got their GED

December 24, 2009 at 8:41 am | Report abuse |
  52. Mattison Brooks

I think this show is the best proof that has ever been brought forward to support the fact that human evolution is true: God can't create mistakes and yet these individuals are walking this Earth, existing. And thats a mistake. Erego, because of Jersey Shore, there cannot be a God.

December 24, 2009 at 7:29 am | Report abuse |
  53. Lindsey

Good for you Alyssa! 'Reality shows' aren't reality.

December 24, 2009 at 7:27 am | Report abuse |
  54. western jersey girl

Moeski is right....those people on 'Jersey Shore' are from New York in a summer shore house. I have lived in central and western Jersey for the past 37 years and I can honestly say that most of our state is NOT as it is portrayed on "Sopranos", "Real Housewives of New Jersey" and "Jersey Shore"... but hey,that's what sells! Trust me, if they had a show called "Real Housewives from Western Jersey" no one would watch it. When I travel cross country and people ask where I am from...the first thing they say is..."You don't sound like you're from Jersey". Then I explain that it's more Eastern Jersey-ites, near NYC, that have the accent. Then I tell them how there are bears, coyotes, eagles, deer, wild turkey, red fox, etc. in my neighborhood and they're shocked.

December 24, 2009 at 6:36 am | Report abuse |
  55. Maggie

I've never understood why Americans go insane over "stereotypes". No other country does this because they're secure enough to know who they are and who others are and are bright enough to form their own opinions, based on family and educational guidance. Are Americans so insecure that they honestly believe that a magazine, a joke, a tv show, etc. is strong enough to sway a national perspective? What a sad, insecure, frivolous and superficial country. If you don't like the show, or anything else that you find offensive, then use your free will, common sense, good judgment, and ignore it.

December 24, 2009 at 5:47 am | Report abuse |
  56. Mario

Bravo Alyssa!! Its funny and it makes you think, Jersey Shore is an embarrassment and its degrading.

December 24, 2009 at 4:05 am | Report abuse |
  57. Christopher

What I really love is all this ridiculous commentary on this show. I dig how all the people who feel they have been "insulted" by this show can barely read or write the English language. Hopefully they'll be a show about the projects in Baltimore next. Fifteen year old black girls screaming over the counter at the wireless store about how she's buying a iPhone for "my baby's daddy."

December 24, 2009 at 3:58 am | Report abuse |
  58. ashbury

ya ya ya ... you all hate us, cause you aint us.... looks like we gotta bit of a situation here!

December 24, 2009 at 3:16 am | Report abuse |
  59. Mark

Too bad. Just because this show show's true colors of race instead of the fake bs she would want us to see, its about time she deal with the truth. Im sick of all this cover up media crap, but of course im sure she stero type blks, mex, asians too. So boo hew cry america a river about it. Allysa is of the past anyways, go away already time for the new.

December 24, 2009 at 3:15 am | Report abuse |
  60. Robin

In the words of Lewis Black, "MTV is to music as KFC is to chicken." I think you can expand the "music" part to include television broadcasting as a whole.

December 24, 2009 at 2:57 am | Report abuse |
  61. mbowl

All these shows are ridiculous like everyone is saying. There is more to every state than is portrayed on tv. But New Jersey is not the only state that gets depicted this way. Im from California and we've been portrayed badly for years. I hate the show and know there is more to NJ than this, but I'm kind of glad the reality shows aren't all about CA now lol. they can lay off of us! lol

December 24, 2009 at 2:03 am | Report abuse |
  62. Mike S

MTV strikes again. It is a network that continues to show lifestyles that are not true to life. If they are not promoting the gay lifestyle they are promoting a woman beating idiot lifestyle. It is a network that tries to make it seem like there are as many gay people as straight. If that is the case why all the whining about being a mistreated minority? And now a show about my home state[ live in Toms River, raised in EB] that shows people from NY who want to be from New Jersey. I do not care what you do in your bedroom.I do care if you hit women and then blame it on alcohol. Whats next from them, Necrophilia as a religon live from S.E. Asia.

December 24, 2009 at 1:37 am | Report abuse |
  63. s bonafede

Its a really stupid show...but then again, so many reality shows are

December 24, 2009 at 12:18 am | Report abuse |
  64. The Jersey Shore

*Allow me ...

December 24, 2009 at 12:06 am | Report abuse |
  65. The Jersey Shore

All me to defend myself here ... I am the New Jersey shoreline. All of it. I stretch from Sandy Hook in the north to Cape May in the south. I feel as though I am a sterling representative of coastal living. I have sand, water, sun (on occassion), boardwalks, etc... Granted, some who enoy my refreshing and relaxing embrace are a little ... less than polished, however, I feel as though they are in the minority.

O.k., so yeah, I drink a little too much from time to time and I did have a slight problem with leaving my needles laying around on the beach in the early '90's, but I've accepted my addiction, made it through recovery and am now clean and sober.

Be that as it may, all I ask is for you to bask upon my glorious sand-covered beaches and enjoy what I have to offer. After all, I am the only New Jersey shoreline in existance.

December 24, 2009 at 12:05 am | Report abuse |
  66. the insinuation

I stopped watching the show when they cut out the snooki punch even though they showed it all the time as a teaser clip before airing the actual episode.I've been to the shore a million times and have to say that I 've seen people like this all the time, but for everyone that behaves this way ,there is another that dosen't.Those behave more like the Sopranoes. I love reality T.V.

December 23, 2009 at 11:56 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Greg

Some italian stereotypes are pretty accurate, though, such as their tendency to dive and play dirty in football (as the last 2 world cups of have shown), and the constant corruption that runs through any organization that they run, whether it be the national government or the Italian Serie A.

December 23, 2009 at 11:47 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Steve Rizzo

People say, its not a big deal, b/c its just tv or entertainment, but that fact is that this wrongfully stereotypes italians – the percentage that are like this is small. If you took the worst of every other ethnicity and showed it on tv that would be unacceptable. Between the Sopranos, Jersey Shore, all the mob movies, the Gotti's that is the only image americans get of italians. Again we shouldn't censure this stuff, and mtv should be able to show it. However, i won't watch this garbage, nor any other mtv show if this is what passes for mtv shows. I suggest others follow suit.

December 23, 2009 at 11:37 pm | Report abuse |
  69. dball213

Aren't all those people from Staten Island anyway?

December 23, 2009 at 11:20 pm | Report abuse |
  70. 4mernykr

I say to Josh who posted earlier – you need to focus your energy on bingo every day - rather than where everyone else was when all the other shows you know so much about were on -

December 23, 2009 at 11:18 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Jorge

"All in the Family" made fun of all groups,races and religions. That was in the early 70's. Lighten up Jersey people, its just a funny show, laugh or change the channel, there are 600 of them.

December 23, 2009 at 11:17 pm | Report abuse |
  72. jose

That show is a joke, Mtv is a joke, those chicks that are on that show are pretty dumb and will probably end up in Playboy after their 15 minutes of fame are up on Mtv........ Take that retarded show off the air, if I was that dude I'da punched her too........

December 23, 2009 at 10:34 pm | Report abuse |
  73. NJ

LOL... "w"...so glad you hate us. Must be jealous.

December 23, 2009 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse |
  74. brian

BFD! I was born in Jersey and I am Italian! Its a "reality" show people! You dont like it dont watch it! But GodDammit, protect the right to Offend! This is America U Pussies!

December 23, 2009 at 9:55 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Mike

why can't people just shut up and watch tv, if this offends you, then don't watch, problem solved....why ruin it for others, this show is hilarious

December 23, 2009 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Jackie

That show is such a joke. They dont even live at the Jersey Shore. There a bunch a stupid shoobies that live up north that travel down to beach every summer and cause a bunch of crap for the locals who actually live and appreciate the shore all year around. Im embarassed for them, they make themselves look like a bunch of tool bags. Ask any local (including myself) we dont act like that at all.

December 23, 2009 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse |
  77. chris

The thing is....I am from NJ..and I grew up hating who acted like the people dipicted on this show. There are plenty of people from NJ who don't act like this. Its just between this show and the soprano's, everyone thinks people from NJ are gangster guidos. It really sets Italian Americans back 400 years.

December 23, 2009 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Matt from MN

Know the difference between Jersey women and garbage? Garbage gets taken out once a week.

December 23, 2009 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Angela

They just keep lowering the bar of intelligence with these types of shows. But certain people seem to like them & buy into them, so let them waste their time & brain cells.

December 23, 2009 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Daryl

I don't think its the show the people don't like. Its the people on the show that people are awe of and hate. And there are really a LOT of people from Jersey that act like that. I'm Italian and in no way offended by it, but just feel bad for the people on the show (and Housewives of NJ) because they think they have class and are sophisticated but are very far from it.

December 23, 2009 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Barbara

Wow, you all have alot to say. I am a Jersey girl, born and raised and proud of my state. But the Housewives and the Jersey Shore idiots are just a small, miniscule part of the people who live there. IF everyone hates NJ so much, why do you all flock down there every summer? The Housewives, just a bunch of spoiled women, who shouldn't even qualify under the term "housewife". And Jersey Shore just a mixed bunch of spoiled kids. It makes for stupid TV and just shows us that we have let the TV stations slide by with this crap and not demanded good TV. MTV is getting desperate. NJ is a great state, and with all states, has its pockets of bad folks that make us all look like idiots. Don't watch it if you don't like and demand better. Leave Jersey alone or try going there and see how much there is to offer besides Housewife bimbos and Italian kids who consider themselves guidos and guidettes. This isn't the Jersey that really exists.

December 23, 2009 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Chet

Actually this show is a pretty good depiction of what these people are really like...don't you guys get it...these people are real and there are millions of them in New Jersey. Walk around the Jersey shore, its pretty obvious...

December 23, 2009 at 7:31 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Joy

I, too, was born and raised on the Jersey Shore. All of my family is still there and none of them are anything like these people. They have class. This show is not representing the Garden State accurately or with any respect.

December 23, 2009 at 7:29 pm | Report abuse |
  84. J Rich

When she got punched in the face I was at first shocked then after seeing her in an interview I went back to the video, this time I laughed my ass off.

December 23, 2009 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse |
  85. m from den

The show is just another bad example of bad TV. MTV turned a corner a long time ago when they stopped being what their moniker stands for (music television) and started being a Jerry
    Springer-esque type of environment. "Jersey Shore" is just the latest in a long line of bad programming choices by MTV management. The thing that really bothers me is that VH1, that used to be for young, mature adults, is now going down the same road with some of the trashiest shows on TV. I agree with the poster Josh about the kids on this show with those stupid nicknames. "The Situation"? "Snooki"? "Jen Woww"? You've got to be kidding...how dumb.

December 23, 2009 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |
  86. mamahawk.

Seriously, I'm Italian. The show IS stupid, but I dont think I'd boycott it. Come on.. most of us has a relative somewhere that reminds us of the people on the show... I laugh at that.. Kinda like the plastic on the furniture at Grandmas, The gold colored living room w/ White Carpet, the bathroom so clean you could have a party on it. Come on have a sense of humor..

December 23, 2009 at 7:14 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Mike

You haters are nuts ... This is some of Mtv's best work. Blows the Real World out of the water!

December 23, 2009 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
  88. John L

Jersey Shore is trash TV. The cast are nothing but a group of idiots.

December 23, 2009 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
  89. Dee

In the old days, the circus came to town & we got to go to the tents to see the freaks. Now they come to us by way of the boob tube. The freaks are now on reality shows and the fashion runways. And people are still as fascinated as in the old days at the circus. – What did PT Barnum say? There's a sucker born every minute. And seems they're all watching Jersey Shore...

December 23, 2009 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
  90. Jo

This is what T.V has become. Total garbage. I don't care what or who they're portraying. For people to find this sh*t reality T.V entertaining, is what's killing any kind of show with some level of thought and talent. Good writers and actors are now becoming a thing of the past so morons can sit in front of the "Duh, look! Big box!" and watch this kind of idiocy.

December 23, 2009 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
  91. craig

you people are idiots. The show is funny, real funny. it is PURE entertainment. that is all. they are kids that have no idea what life is all about. If you are from NJ and take offense to the show, you are the one that needs to grow up.

December 23, 2009 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
  92. refry

For all you dumbasses who don't know who Alyssa Milano is....GET THE F@$K OUT OF THE COUNTRY. It is a SIN to not know Alyssa Milano. Even homosexuals are in love with her. Her conception was the number 1 greatest guy moment in history.

And all you guidos out there can suck a tanning lotion bottle. Plz die. Bring your guidos to Cali and watch them get knocked the F#@#K OUT!!

December 23, 2009 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
  93. Jay

Not so funny when the shoe is on the other foot huh? Shows have made black people look like fools for as long as there has been Tv. If the show was called Harlem and featured a group of black 20 sometings engaging in stereotypical behavior the same people complaining would be cracking up.

December 23, 2009 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
  94. Tony the Pizza

MTV shipped these Guido's in from Staten Island to pose as Guido's from NJ, when we here in Jersey have our own Guido's who would have been just fine.

PS You really have to search hard to find these dirt-bags like these at the Jersey Shore (which is actually pretty nice) Hopefully people will believe this is how the Jersey Shore really is, that way, any tourists will be scared away and our beach towns will be less crowded. in the summer.

December 23, 2009 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
  95. Meaghann

It's just a TV show, get over it people!

December 23, 2009 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
  96. Meaghann

It's just a TV show, get over it people

December 23, 2009 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
  97. Laura

People from NJ are NOT like that.....

December 23, 2009 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
  98. sid

gruppo December 23rd, 2009 4:49 pm ET
    in response to gruppo, have you not see college hill on bet? what about the frankie and neffie show?

December 23, 2009 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
  99. Hilarious

What is hilarious to me is all these PPL are getting pissed about the show, but let another ethnic group come up with a show, and they show them to be ignorant and other things. You all find it entertaining and funny. But when they make something with your own ethnicity you want to take offence. I think its all a joke. They have shows that make Blacks, white, Hispanics ext look ridiculous but people still watch it. So really all I have to say is get over it. Yes i agree its dumb that ppl do this but its happening to every ethnicity group. It just happens to be the italians time now...

December 23, 2009 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
  100. italian chi-girl

I'm from Chicago and grew up in a strong Italian American family. I think the show is hilarious... I don't think it depicts anything about anyone from New Jersey or the show itself. THe only people who look bad on it are the people on the show. The term "guido" is not a compliment and I think its soooo funny that that's exactly what they're trying to be like. To all the people that are making a big scene about the show, just sit back and watch... you'll laugh too. Don't take it so personally!

December 23, 2009 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
  101. moeski

I think it is funny that people hate on NJ, when the people on this show aren't from the Garden State.

December 23, 2009 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
  102. Snooki D

Fist Pumpin!

December 23, 2009 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
  103. joe m

shows like these are nothing more than the modern version of the carnival freak shows. we've reached a point where we are no longer looking for entertainment, but rather spectacle. it doesn't seem to matter if none of these shows accomplish nothing but displaying in full view how some are willing to degrade themselves in a desparate need for attention. we really need to stop tuning in to these shows and maybe, just maybe, they'll go away. it is all about supply and demand. if we demand these shows by tuning in, then some tv exec is more than willing to exploit that need.

December 23, 2009 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
  104. I live in NJ and....

I like the place that I live it's a mix community and I assure you none of the "ugly faced" "fowl mouth" "no brains" folks that are on this show exist in my community. I am not Italian but I have a lot of respectable Italian friends who are in NO WAY, SHAPE or FORM act like this idiots. If they were my family I would be ashamed that they are on TV. I saw about 15 minutes of it and that was even way too long to not feel like puking!!! It was real pathetic with the guys mouthing off like "dumb dough boys" and the girls were even worse..might as well call them what they are " JERSEY SHORE WHORES." Do I really need to see somebody's ass hanging up in the air, especially that girl? She is too ugly for words physically and as a person. Whoever in MTV picked them should be FIRED!!!! To think that these girls gave themselves derogatory names is quite amazing...I guess muscles and abs delete your brain cells. Go to school, learn something because if I see you on the street, I will spit on you.

December 23, 2009 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
  105. w

In regards to this show I love just one thing about it ...the fact that it shows people from New Jersey why everybody hates people from New Jersey. Go ahead...think about it for a minute...you know im right. Do me a favor New Jersey and use these losers as your scapegoats for an aggressive public campaign to find out how you can make your state more appealing to the masses instead of just making it appealing to the people who nickname themselves sh*t like "the situation" and "snooki"....God I hate you New Jersey

December 23, 2009 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
  106. New Jersey Girl

This show is nothing more than bored rich kids who get to spend the summer at the jersey shore. Whoopie doo MTV thanks for destroying new jersey reputation. We were just named the most corrupt state in the country. Now we just look like the queerest.

December 23, 2009 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  107. Deb

I echo Adrianne's sentiments. I, too, am from NJ (I actually grew up in a shore town about 30 minutes from where the show is set), and I find it endlessly annoying that my home state is depicted in a negative light. There's so much more to the state itself, and the people who live in the state, than is shown on TV. Frustrating...

December 23, 2009 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  108. Amanda V.

The only reason Alyssa Milano is talking this up is 'cuz she needs to find a reason to be on TV or in the news. If u think abt it what was her last gig other small no-name movies. I don't really understand what the big stink is abt this show especially if it's on MTV and it's reality TV which we all know there is nothing real about it!! We all know it's a joke! We all know it's over-exaggerated. It's not worth all this commotion!

December 23, 2009 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
  109. Josh

Where were these people when VH1 aired show after show (Flava of Love, I Love NY, etc) that portrayed African-Americans in a bad light? They were home watching and laughing. Seems it's not funny now when the joke is them.

December 23, 2009 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
  110. kaitlin

What!?! There is a TV show call Jersey Shore...

December 23, 2009 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
  111. ihaveopinion

I love the show. Makes me wish I was Italian-American so I could have participated in that lifestyle. Can't decide which one of the guys is my favorite but I definately love Sammi. Glad Angelina's gone...Jwoww is confusing but likable & Snooki is comic relief. I don't see what everyone is so offended about.

December 23, 2009 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  112. Tashamack

Why would Italian Americans call this show a depiction and not the truth. Every culture has a group within the culture they wish did not exist. However the truth is the truth. Italian Americans are not the first group to have fellow group members that don't have class and are an embarrasment.

December 23, 2009 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  113. Hunter

I am not defending the show but it never purports to be representing all of New Jersey or all Italian Americans. If you don't like the show, don't watch it. And dont talk about it. It is adding fuel to the fire. By creating a spoof on Funny or Die, you are not as much displaying distaste as you are adding to the hoopla surrounding it. Maybe I'm jaded but I think this may have been the intent of the show in the first place.

December 23, 2009 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  114. Robert - former NY

I haven't watched the show other than seeign the clips and if that is what the show is about then I think MTV has gone into the toilet. I'm from NY, worked with and married to an Italian woman and this is a far cry from describing an Italian American. I thought MTV was to stand for Music Television so what does that have to with music any way. To me when I would think of someone who is Italian I think that would represent passion and this is not even about that. I really believe that MTV should either vanish or go back to what the acronymn is to stand for.

December 23, 2009 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
  115. Suzanne

She probably also hates it because she is from Staten Island and it portrays Islanders as idiots (what else is new, ALL TV does that to us).

December 23, 2009 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  116. ang

Who the heck i she and who cares what she says. Is this the only way for her to get publicity? I don't care what anyone says. I like the show. If you don't like it, don't watch it.

December 23, 2009 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  117. gruppo

I have had it with the distortion of Italians. It seems we are always fair game. Try that with any other ethnic group and see what happens. I guess that's the price we paid for all the hardships our grandparents endured trying to make sure future generations completely integrated into the American culture. Like forbidden to speak Italian (you are an American) and American names.
    Shows like Jersey Shores and the Sopranos are a disgrace to the memories of our grand parents and what they suffered through. For me, my little protest will be to cancel my cable unless MTV is dropped.

December 23, 2009 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  118. MATT MARTIN from East Longmeasow

Alyssa Milano is a joke! The Jersey shore is Pure Entertainment, All there Entertainers or all haters. ITS a Buissness MTV got eat To!!!!!

December 23, 2009 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  119. Proud Canadian

Isn't thgis what American TV is all about! Wouldn't make me a proud American to havbve Jersey Shores on the air!

December 23, 2009 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  120. Shay-Boogie

I have no interest in the show whatsoever, but honestly folks we all have people in our ethnic groups that make us cringe at some of the bulls#@t they do. Real talk, these people do exist. all we can do is DO BETER to represent our race,and ethnic groups. I am from jersey born and raised and there really are a bunch of people who act like this at the jersey shore. They are on the boardwalks every summer, at all the beach clubs and think they are HOT SH*#@T when they are really a HOT MESS.

December 23, 2009 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  121. Diva

Ok, I watched the video, I get what she is saying – but is it really THAT big of a deal. The way I look at it is if you are dumb enough to believe that this is how all Italian Americans behave then YOU should be on JS! They picked a group of wild kids with distorted views of the world to follow around. I mean, would you want to watch a show about polo shirt wearing, middle class kids who hang out at the local Target shopping plaza all summer? Probably not.

December 23, 2009 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  122. Adrianne Sosanie

I don't usually comment on this stuff, but I'm from NJ and between the housewives of NJ and this new "shore" show, I'm glad I don't live there anymore. They truly are an embarrassment and just add fuel to the fire of the derision that NJ has gotten for a long time.

December 23, 2009 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  123. mtrunner

A show for Kate to join!

December 23, 2009 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |