December 22nd, 2009

Nota wins NBC's 'Sing Off'

testing captions
testing captions

“Glee” it was not, but NBC’s a cappella sing-fest “Sing Off” did manage to provide some much needed musical therapy in its two-hour finale Monday night.

Puerto Rican underdogs Nota’s win - over the plucky Beezlebubs and the Voices of Lee - was nearly overshadowed by the celebrity guest performances that included Smokey Robinson, Boyz II Men (including judge Shawn Stockman), Bobby McFerrin, judge Nicole Scherzinger of the Pussycat Dolls, Natasha Bedingfield, and judge Ben Folds (of Ben Folds Five and solo fame).

Of particular note was the Boyz II Men medley, which for anyone who rocked out to “Motownphilly" while wearing some colorful jams in junior high was a delightful romp through the band’s old hits, including "It's So Hard to Say Goodbye to Yesterday" and “End of the Road.”

Nota was clearly a fan favorite during the competition. Their stylized beats and well-conceived adaptations of old-school and contemporary songs proved they deserved the win. The six-man group took home a $100,000 cash prize and a Sony recording contract.

Breaking into the mainstream as an a capella group isn't easy, but with this kind of exposure who knows how far these boys from Puerto Rico can go. The group’s beat-boxin’  version of the Jay Sean hit "Down" has already been viewed nearly half a million times on YouTube as of Tuesday morning.

Post by: ,
Filed under: Music • television

1. dj

Their harmonies were off. Apart from David none of them could sing solo.

December 24, 2009 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Musical Mom

I was VERY disappointed that they won - I think it was a demographics issue.
    I did not think that they were wonderful - their stage presence wasn't good or pleasant to watch; their harmonizing was null.
    I enjoyed the show but was let down at the outcome.

December 24, 2009 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |
  3. Luke

It is hard to imagine what this group is gonna achieve.

Can you believe this crew have been together for only three months???

Unbelievable!!!

God bless you NOTA. The sky's the limit.

December 23, 2009 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Margarita Ortiz

They were fabulous! No other words needed.

December 23, 2009 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Marcy

I thought that this group was amazing. I think that their variety of of music talent was awesome. I am not a reality show person at all... but this group had me glued to my seat! And wow... thier Micheal Jackson set.... simply amazing... I just wanted to get up and dance every time they were on stage!!!!!

December 23, 2009 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  6. serena

OMG!!! My boyfriend thinks the same with me. We met online at an interesting site called ...*** PLUSFLIRT ___CooooooooM***...nice place for BBW & BHW to interact with each other. Maybe you wanna check out or tell your friends.

December 22, 2009 at 10:47 pm | Report abuse |