December 22nd, 2009

Actress Connie Hines dies at age 78

testing captions
testing captions

Actress Connie Hines, who played Wilbur’s wife on the hit 1960s sitcom "Mister Ed," died on Friday at age 78 from complications stemming from heart problems, her former co-star Alan Young confirmed to the Los Angeles Times.

Hines was best known for portraying Carol Post on the CBS show about a talking horse from 1961 to 1966. Hines starred in 144 episodes of “Mister Ed” as the dutiful wife of an architect, played by Young, who spent most of his time in the barn, talking to the deep-voiced horse.

“She was a girl married to a fellow listening to a horse. Her biggest line was 'lunch is ready,' ” Young said. "The rest of it was reacting to it. Connie never complained. How many actors would react that way?"

Born in Massachusetts, Hines also appeared in the 1960 film "Thunder in Carolina" and such television shows as "Bonanza," "Perry Mason" and "The Mod Squad.”

Post by: ,
Filed under: television

1. Mare Reasons

I agree with all of you, who talk about the crap on TV today. I too grew up on this as I was a kid in 1961. I loved this show, and am so glad other generations do too. God Bless her family.

December 27, 2009 at 4:03 am | Report abuse |
  2. Cindy

Ken....what do you mean "the perfect wife at the perfect time"?????

The first half of the 1960's was a period which most would not call "perfect".

December 24, 2009 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Maureen

"A horse is a horse of course, of course...." I grew watching that show and truly believing that horses COULD talk...or so I wanted to believe. I remember how pretty I thought Carol (Connie) was and how sweet. How sad another part of my childhood is gone. May she rest in peace

December 24, 2009 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |
  4. Lynn

My prayers are with Connie's family and friends. A very nice lady.

December 24, 2009 at 9:13 am | Report abuse |
  5. Svend Monk

It's cool how everyone on here said something nice about her.Shows how she was adored

December 23, 2009 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Billy

I'm Sorry, Connie has already died at 78.

December 23, 2009 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  7. UF

What are we going to do now, Ed?
    Willlbbbuuuurrrrr, I think a moment of silence is appropriate.

(Silence)

A horse is a horse, of course, of course,
    And no one can talk to a horse of course
    That is, of course, unless the horse is the famous Mr. Ed.

Go right to the source and ask the horse
    He'll give you the answer that you'll endorse.
    He's always on a steady course.
    Talk to Mr. Ed.

People yakkity yak a streak and waste your time of day
    But Mister Ed will never speak unless he has something to say.

A horse is a horse, of course, of course,
    And this one'll talk 'til his voice is hoarse.
    You never heard of a talking horse?

Well listen to this.

I am Mister Ed.

December 23, 2009 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  8. StacyB

I agree with you very much Jeff Merritt. I grew up watching Mr. Ed, The Munsters, Leave It To Beaver, The Honeymooners, etc. These were and still are great shows. There is nothing on now but garbage today. Especially those foolish, stupid reality shows.

Rest in peace Connie Hines.

December 23, 2009 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Greg

Mr. Ed was a great show! I never missed it. She was perfect for her part. Sorry to hear it.

December 23, 2009 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  10. sf

so sad to hear.

December 23, 2009 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Stan Weinstein

TV programs are a mirror of the times. If all Connie Hines said was "lunch is ready", it was reflective of women's position in the marketplace. The TV programs today are more gritty, open and somewhat confrontational. Connie-RIP... today, you might very well be a key executive at a growing company or a lawyer or doctor and telling Wilbur to get his butt out of the barn and stop conversing with that 4 legged beast. Maybe psychiatric treatment would be in order.

December 23, 2009 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Dave

I, too, was fortunate enough to meet Connie Hines with Alan Young at a convention. She was was of the sweetest TV personalities I ever met. A bittersweet sidenote – I'm currently on Disc 3 of Mister Ed Season One from Netflix.

I agree with everyone about the trash on TV today. A large percentage of my Netflix queue consists of classic TV from the 50s & 60s.

December 23, 2009 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Carole

I grew up watching Mr. Ed and that was one of the shows that I loved. To this date I still sing the theme song. Connie will be missed I pray for her family and loved ones during this time of transition. God Bless

December 23, 2009 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Bill

Paul, you were close. "that is of course unless the horse is the ............"

December 23, 2009 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Robert Sieviec

Wilbur, we're going to miss her. Maybe Mr. Ed and she are finally getting to have a heart-to-heart about your idiosyncracies. Anyway, while it saddens to hear about her passing, it's a pleasant memory revived of a funny show from a more uncomplicated time.

December 23, 2009 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  16. val

I am so sorry to hear about this. Peace be with the family. I loved her and the wonderful clean family shows she played in.

December 23, 2009 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Rich

i enjoyed the show when I was a kid.
    Rest in peace,

December 23, 2009 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Cinnamon

Loved that show.As well as all the other "CLEAN" shows,that aren't around any more.
    Funny how Hollywood always says "CLEAN STUFF"
    don't sell.THAT'S BS!!!!!!!!!That's like saying the death penalty don't work (of course not,it's NEVER used) But then again,we're talkin Hollywood,just consider the source.
    RIP Connie,you'll be missed!!!!!!!!!

December 23, 2009 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Esteban

"Jethro" , Max Baer, Jr is still alive!

December 23, 2009 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  20. linda

this is like losing a friend. vintage TV has more to offer than current and Mister Ed will endure as a wonderful classic. Miss Hines will be remembered forever. Thank you to Miss Hines for making it possible.

December 23, 2009 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
  21. Ralph - Joplin, MO

She was a great actress and from an era of good, clean comedy. We need more programs like this in today's tv offerings.

December 23, 2009 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
  22. Ron

We are losing all the great talents who made us laugh without being crude, rude, offensive or off color. Connie Hines played third fiddle to a horse, husband and crazy neighbors and pulled it off with class and sophistication. She was young, gorgeous, vivacious and classy and portrayed the wife-next-door to a tee. Wilbur you have lost Ed, Carol, and the Addisons and you must be very lonely at this time. My condolences to you and to Connie's family wherever you may be. And many thanks for all the laughs from your great work on the show.

Ron

December 23, 2009 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
  23. renee jensen

She was so pretty I watch this every morning at 3:00 Am I don't sleep. The old shows were the best.

December 23, 2009 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
  24. A M Boyd

She was one of the sweetest, unspoiled actresses of my generation growing up. Plus beautiful.

Who could ask for anything more than this lovely woman?

Well, I did always want a horse who could talk.

Bless Connie and may she always be in the peace she seemed to have in real life.

AMB

December 23, 2009 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
  25. Paul

A Horse is a horse of course – of course and no one can talk to a horse of course – that is unless the horse of course is the famous Mister Ed..

Thanks for the laughter

December 23, 2009 at 10:38 am | Report abuse |
  26. doug

I too love the show and have been watching it often recently. A kinder, gentler time when a sweet smile could be one's 'game face'. God bless her and her family.

December 23, 2009 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
  27. Dave S.

I loved Connie! Bless her and her family.

Her beautiful, funny work will live on for generations to come....

December 23, 2009 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
  28. Wallyjoe

I always thought she was hot! Wilbur should have left Ed in the barn and gone inside the house with his wife a little more!

December 23, 2009 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
  29. Kathy

So sad, may you rest in peace

December 23, 2009 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
  30. Bobbie

That's a violation of my rights !!!!!!! Post my comment or I sue !!!!!!

December 23, 2009 at 10:21 am | Report abuse |
  31. James

Jeff, I love those 60's shows. God bless her and her family!

December 23, 2009 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
  32. Mister Mike

As a kid watching the reruns on Nickelodeon in the '80s, I always thought Wilbur's wife was smokin' hot!!!

December 23, 2009 at 10:05 am | Report abuse |
  33. Sil

Sorry to hear of her passing. My condolences to her family and friends. I really enjoyed her work\ and so did my kid. It's one of our favorite shows from that era.

December 23, 2009 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
  34. scott

Loved her, loved the show. I wish today's children appreciated shows like this, but no...

December 23, 2009 at 9:31 am | Report abuse |
  35. Emil

I'm sorry to hear she passed away. this year my wife and I had been seen Mr. Episodes and I checked on the actors biography. They gave us some good moments and we are greatfull for those moments that they have given us. Those show are very special and are very different from the one the TV show in these days. May God comfort her family and love ones.

December 23, 2009 at 9:23 am | Report abuse |
  36. Mike

God Bless Connie! Although I didn't know her personally, she seemed like a very sweet, pretty lady. I guess she's with Ed now!

December 23, 2009 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
  37. Rich

I liked her. She was a looker too. One of the first TV hotties, if you ask me. RIP, my dear.

December 23, 2009 at 9:08 am | Report abuse |
  38. Maria

Okay, why has there not been any mention of Jennifer Jones who passed away last week?

December 23, 2009 at 9:05 am | Report abuse |
  39. George McMannis

It was a time of innocence that I honestly believed Mr. Ed really could talk, submarines could have windows in front, and comedy didn't have to be filthy to be funny.

December 23, 2009 at 9:03 am | Report abuse |
  40. Brian

it was a good show. I wish they would bring back its reruns. She was a good wife compared to what you would get today.

December 23, 2009 at 8:51 am | Report abuse |
  41. Chris

Jo,

She was from Dedham, MA.

December 23, 2009 at 8:50 am | Report abuse |
  42. Scott

I'm sorry to read her passing. I'm 52 and fondly remember watching "Mister Ed". Time goes on...

December 23, 2009 at 8:28 am | Report abuse |
  43. FC

Many fond memories of this program. RIP Ms. Hines.

December 23, 2009 at 8:16 am | Report abuse |
  44. Jean

I was just reading Alan Young's autobiography last night (a birthday gift to my husband; we're both love "Mr. Ed.") I'm floored! I saw the picture show above for the first time last night, too. The caption reads, from Ed's point of view, "That's one pretty filly, and I get to take her home at night." I couldn't agree more. Connie was sweet, funny, and a terrific actress. She was on a LOT of shows, if you check imdb.com. This year we have lost so many bright lights. Jo (that was my late mother's name!), she was from Dedham, MA.

December 23, 2009 at 8:16 am | Report abuse |
  45. Brad Freeman

Because of the onslaught of crap on TV today I too am raising my children on classic comedy TV shows. Mr. Ed was a great one that my children really enjoy. My condolences also go out to the family of Connie Hines.

December 23, 2009 at 8:11 am | Report abuse |
  46. Dean

She was born in Dedham, Mass., on June 5, 1930.

December 23, 2009 at 7:59 am | Report abuse |
  47. Paul

As a teenager at the time, I truly envied her sweaters.

December 23, 2009 at 7:14 am | Report abuse |
  48. ilan

Our (black and white t.v.) memories are star studded...and then a star falls from the past into the present...and we feel like a distant part of us shines no more.
    My condolences to the family of the dear actress Connie Hines.

December 23, 2009 at 7:11 am | Report abuse |
  49. Richie

RIP Ms. Hines...... Like many sitcoms of that era, it left you wondering how such a nerdy, bumbling husband was able to land such a young and beautiful wife. And this husband was so off his rocker that he preferred hanging out in the barn and talking to a horse, rather than be in the house with Carol......They should have locked poor Wilbur up.... Thank you Connie, for your contribution to our pop culture.

December 23, 2009 at 4:54 am | Report abuse |
  50. John

I remember her fondly, RIP Connie Hines!

December 23, 2009 at 4:31 am | Report abuse |
  51. David Lowery

I agree with you, Jeff, about the trash that is on tv today. I stopped watching both network and cable tv years ago and have for a long time now just bought my old time favorites on dvd. Shows like I Love Lucy, The Andy Griffith Show and Sanford And Son. Back when television was television. What passes for entertainment on tv (and in our movie theatres) today is nothing but, to quote Archie Bunker, CRAPOLA!!!

December 23, 2009 at 4:05 am | Report abuse |
  52. Ronnie

Mister Ed was a funny show! R.I.P.Connie Hines!

What's up with all the celebrity deaths?

December 23, 2009 at 3:58 am | Report abuse |
  53. georgana

My husband and I don't have children but we don't watch the trash on television, either. Almost all of our movies and television shows are classics. My condolences to Connie Hines' family.

December 23, 2009 at 3:54 am | Report abuse |
  54. Karel

Wow, Mr Ed. I loved the show, I still do. Connie Hines was perfect for Wilber. I enjoyed her very much. You made us laugh.

December 23, 2009 at 3:51 am | Report abuse |
  55. William

So beautiful, expressive, and genuine she was.

December 23, 2009 at 3:26 am | Report abuse |
  56. Mr Ed Fan in Thousand Oaks

Got her autograph at a Mr. Ed retrospective in the mid-1980s; Alan Young was there. This was 20 years ago and she was as beautiful as when she was on the show, and extraordinarily gracious. My condolences, and she was nothing but classy.

December 23, 2009 at 3:14 am | Report abuse |
  57. dancinghawk

Grew up on the good shows R.I.P. Connie, you were a good actress loved you on Mr. Ed. People keep watching TV land and anywhere our good clean family shows are on. Good clean fun!

December 23, 2009 at 2:41 am | Report abuse |
  58. Jeroen

Connie was my neighbor for a couple of years when I lived in Beverly Hills about 3 years ago. We would walk our dogs together several times a week. She was truly one of the sweetiest ladies ever!

December 23, 2009 at 2:37 am | Report abuse |
  59. Ed

I am saddened to hear of her passing.
    With these old shows, you feel like they were friends or a part of your family.
    R.I.P. Connie.
    We will miss you.
    And cherish your memories you left with us from your acting....

December 23, 2009 at 2:23 am | Report abuse |
  60. Bill

Whaaat'll we do noooow, Wilbur? That lady gave joy in my childhood. Thanks for that, Ms HInes. You were sweet.

December 23, 2009 at 2:00 am | Report abuse |
  61. Mary

Loved this show as a kid. Wish I had a DVD set of the series.

December 23, 2009 at 1:36 am | Report abuse |
  62. Heath

This is sad to hear another popular face passing away. Even though I don't know this lady or the stuff she was in it is sad.

December 22, 2009 at 11:40 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Jim

Another one gone.......
    I miss them all, Miss Hathaway, Jethro, Ellie May, Granny, Uncle Jed, Mrs. Drysdale, Milburn Drysdale, Lucy, Ricky, Ethel, Fred, My little Margie, Blanche, Dorothy, Sophia, Rose.

I miss them all. Perhaps we'll all wind up in the Twilight Zone.

December 22, 2009 at 11:25 pm | Report abuse |
  64. catherine

A lovely and talented lady. Sympathy to the family.

JEFF M. – My children are 19 & 15 and I raised them on Mr. Ed, The Andy Griffith Show, I Love Lucy and other classics. Including John Wayne movies :) We still enjoy watching them today and I'm happy to say that my oldest (now in college) is now very selective about the TV shows he chooses to watch. There's a couple he enjoys; but most, he realizes, are a waste of his time and brain space.

More power to you Jeff! :)

December 22, 2009 at 11:22 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Boz's Daddy

My greyhound Boz and I have been watching Mr. Ed re-runs and on DVD lately. He actually knows when the show is on, and reacts with his eyes to the gigantic horse on our big screen.

I was just thinking what a great looking woman, and a fine actress she was.

She will be sorely missed.

God Rest her soul!

December 22, 2009 at 11:01 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Jo

She was so sweet! I wonder where in Mass she was from. Thanks for making me laugh.

December 22, 2009 at 10:17 pm | Report abuse |
  67. ken

This was/is one of my favorite shows which I still watch today on TV Land. She was the perfect wife in a perfect time. God bless her.

December 22, 2009 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse |
  68. ncmountaingirl

How sad, all of our older stars are passing away too quickly. I enjoyed all the shows she appreared in. My condolences to the family.

December 22, 2009 at 9:55 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Jeff Merritt

Oh, Willlllbuuurrrrrr!

I'm sorry to hear of her passing. I'm raising my children on the classic comedy tv shows. They are so much better than the TRASH that is on today.

December 22, 2009 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |