December 20th, 2009

Brittany Murphy, 1977-2009

I don't remember whether I saw her first in "Clueless" or an episode of the amazing "Murder One," but Brittany Murphy usually stood out from the crowd.  Her performances as damaged or unbalanced characters were particularly compelling: "Girl, Interrupted" and "Don't Say A Word" come to mind.

I wasn't a huge fan, but I'm sad that her life was cut so short, and that it's likely she'll be remembered more for her early death and whatever the police and coroner's investigations find than her considerable on-screen talent.  RIP, Tai.

1. gemini61174

To JJ....I remember that show too, I loved it. She played Perry King's daughter who was kinda ditzy and conceited, she was my favorite character and I have been a fan ever since. What a loss for the entertainment industry, she was a shining light who's flame extinguished way too early. She always seemed to light up when she smiled, she was a true beauty and will be sadly missed.

December 24, 2009 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |
  2. kati

rip brittany murphy. she worked hard in all aspects of her life. she was a true professional. professionalism is seen through comedy, drama, adventure...etc experiences of life.
    may peaceful swinging doors open for you

December 24, 2009 at 3:03 am | Report abuse |
  3. Marc H

Brittany was a talent, and it's quite sad to add her to the ranks of those gone before their time. We very much enjoyed her recently in "The Ramen Girl", a small indie set in Japan. It's hard to believe she's gone, and her presence will be missed.

December 24, 2009 at 2:36 am | Report abuse |
  4. Kimberly

I for one was shocked and the sudden death of Brittany, I always loved her in whatever movie she played in! Such a tragedy, my condlences to her family and the industry, we lost yet another young, very talent actress. RIP Brittany, you will be missed

December 24, 2009 at 12:33 am | Report abuse |
  5. AR

Truly tragic. I will always remember her performance in "Just Married" with Ashton Kutcher. She was outrageously funny in that movie! That film always makes me laugh! So thanks to her for bringing audiences so much joy. RIP

December 23, 2009 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
  6. taylan

it's still hard to believe that she's gone. normally i am not sad about the death of a celebrity, because there are not so many i like. but especially brittany murphy was my favorite actress, very cute and natural. it's even hard to find the reight words. see you on the other side. rest in peace.

December 23, 2009 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Wendy

A terrible tragedy, to lose someone so unexpectedly and so young. I remember her in Clueless and thought her best role was in Uptown Girls with Dakota Fanning. If you haven't seen it, I suggest you watch it. Rest in Peace, Brittany. You will be missed. To Brittany's husband: You have an angel in heaven now. My deepest sympathies to you and your mother-in-law.

December 23, 2009 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  8. JJ

Correction: it wasn't Luke Perry who played the widowed father, and the name of the show was "Almost Home." She was good friends to a family called the Torkelson's. She played a character named Morgan.

December 23, 2009 at 5:51 am | Report abuse |
  9. JJ

Brittany was also in a comedy sitcom that featured a widowed father with two kids who hired a housekeeper. Brittany played the best friend of his daughter, for the life of me I can't think of the name of the show. Luke Perry played the father. This is the first time I remember seeing her in any type of tv show until Clueless came out.

December 23, 2009 at 5:47 am | Report abuse |
  10. Paula Rogers

She always had a smile on her face. I will miss that. My heart goes out to her husband and family.

December 23, 2009 at 5:32 am | Report abuse |
  11. Yvonne McLean

To urdeadtome...Ya I'm sure she's thrilled to have died at such a young age and still pretty! SERIOUSLY!!!!!!

December 22, 2009 at 9:09 am | Report abuse |
  12. we'll miss you brittany

I am the biggest fan ever of her work as Luann Platter in King of the Hill... she MADE that show... I first became a fan after seeing her in Clueless. I've never felt bad about a celebrity death before but this one has just really made me feel terrible all day today and yesterday. She was such an amazing talent, and her passing is a great loss. RIP Brittany

December 21, 2009 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
  13. mona

Only TV Viewer from the Midwest can write and say that is sad to die young especially at Christmas time, so ,if it was not Christmas, it would have not be as sad I guess.
    RIP Brittany

December 21, 2009 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Traci

Very sad!
    Gone too soon...

December 21, 2009 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
  15. cyberdar

So beautiful and talented. Way too young to die. Such gorgeous eyes. I think thats why she stood out to me. She had those eyes that just dominated her face and showed such emotion. I just hope people don't get hung up on the whys. No matter what took her life, it's a terrible tragedy to her loved ones that are left behind. I lost my brother this past Feb and the pain is unbearable at times, especially around the Holidays. This close to Christmas, I'm sure they are still in shock. Have faith that she's in a better place. RIP Brittany.

December 21, 2009 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  16. TV viewer from the Midwest

well, that's a sad story. I agree with Debra R, I don't know much of anything about her performances either. but it IS always sad to see anyone die so young. especially at Christmas time.

December 21, 2009 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  17. argentiniangirl

She was an excellent acterss, very fun an natural. She is going to be remembered like the great person she was.
    Rest in peace dera friend.

December 21, 2009 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  18. MOCHE

She was truly a talented actress, i most enjoyed her role in Dont say a word with Michael Douglas.... Rest with the angels dear child

December 21, 2009 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  19. LBW

This is heart breaking.

December 21, 2009 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
  20. Debra R

For the life of me I cannot recall her or her performances..... but always sad to see anyone die this young....

December 21, 2009 at 8:50 am | Report abuse |
  21. Daniel St. Clair

Some people leave us all too soon, This young lady was one of those

December 20, 2009 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse |
  22. urdead2me

RIP – Brittany Murphy, 32 had a whirl-wind Hollywood career: acting, singing, high profile relationships, temper tantrums, eating disorders. Even a mobster father. Now she has the classic ‘die young – stay pretty’ thing going too.

December 20, 2009 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |