December 17th, 2009

'SYTYCD:' America's favorite dancer is...

Russell Ferguson wins So You Think You Can  Dance
Russell Ferguson wins So You Think You Can Dance

Well, never again doubt for a minute that these results shows are (mostly) live. Things were going very smoothly on Wednesday night's season finale of "So You Think You Can Dance," until it became time to start announcing the final results.

First, host Cat Deeley's microphone went out. The top six took a while getting onstage and it was soon revealed that Russell Ferguson, the krumper from Boston, Massachusetts, had been injured backstage, and unfortunately, that forced the rest of the routines involving him to be shown on tape. As great as it always is to re-live some of these great performances that took something away from it.

As for the results themselves, they went pretty much as I predicted right up until the final three. Once Ryan, Ashleigh and Ellenore were eliminated, in that order. I thought it would be Kathryn and Russell standing at the end going for the title of America's favorite dancer, but then Cat announced that Kathryn was out of the running. So it was down to Russell and Jakob.

At that moment, I wondered if we might see a first: the most straight-up talented dancer might win over the one with the most personality or would the two contemporary dancers cancel each other out in the votes?

At the end of the day, Russell's fanbase, which had been strong from the beginning, came through and for the first time, a krumper won it all.

One can't deny that Russell's ecstatic reaction, crumbling to the ground, then ignoring his injury by standing up and tearing off his shirt, was one of the most memorable moments we've seen on the show. I especially liked that he called his top 20 best friend, Kevin, up on stage with him. There's no doubt that he was truly surprised and over the moon to win this prize.

As for the encore performances picked by the judges (with special guests Lil' C, Tyce Diorio and Debbie Allen), I have no qualms with the ones they picked, though there was an over-reliance on routines from the first noncompetitive performance show.

I would have loved to see Kathryn and Legacy, Ellenore and Ryan, or Ashleigh and Jakob dance again. The two original routines, choreographed by Kelly Abbey (bring her back, please!) and Ashleigh and Ryan were extraordinary. Good for judge Mary Murphy to request that the married couple dance together in their own style.

There were five special performances as well, including a subdued Adam Lambert, a Mary J. Blige performance that absolutely killed, Leona Lewis singing the sleep-inducing "Avatar" theme, and the phenomenal dance crew the Groovaloos.

And then there was J. Lo. Yes, Jennifer Lopez began her performance on a giant shoe, apparently lip-synching a spoken phone conversation, leading into a song that was an ode to Louboutins. The one thing that saved it was the fact that she employed some very familiar faces such as Kayla and Courtney as backup dancers.

Overall, looking back on this season, I'll remember Travis Wall's "War of the Roses" routine with Ellenore and Legacy, Kathryn and Jakob's contemporary routine, and the absolute brilliance of Sonya Tayeh, especially her routine with Ellenore and Jakob.

Which routines will you remember best from season six, and what did you think of the season as a whole? Did Russell deserve to win? Post your response on video, or in the comments below. In the meantime, happy holidays and see you next season.

1. Mary E

Hooray, finally, someone that I voted for has won!

For much of the season, I supported both Jakob and Russell. Nigel put it well: one is a beautifully polished diamond, the other is a diamond in the rough. But at the end, I felt that for this paritcular competition, Jakob tended to be self-effacing to a fault, too inclined to dance in the shadow of his partner's limelight, despite his tremendous ability. It's a charming trait on a personal level, and it makes him a wonderfully supportive partner. Yet in performance, I would like to see him seize the limelight more often. He started to do that more as the season progressed, but I don't know that he has become fully comfortable with being the focus of attention when someone else is on stage with him. Fortunately, when someone is that gifted and well-trained, it should be an easy transition. Join a dance company, Jakob! Dance companies, don't let him get away!

The show was better than I expected, and I agreed with most of the judges choices: I missed all but the last 15 seconds of the Frog Dance the first time around and forgot to record that episode, so that was a nice surpiise. I already thought Nathan and Mollee's Bollywood routine was their best number together, and this time, Mollee danced the choreograph faster and sharper,especially the half-circle of turns behind Nathan. Now that I've seen it again, my choice for "best" number of the season is Sonya's routine for Jakob and Ellenore.

I still wish that the producers had made more time for the season's top performances by cutting back on the guest performances, especially the on-stage ad, AKA song, for Avatar, for which I've already seen approximately two million commercials. I haven't seen it yet, and I'm already sick of hearing about it. J-Lo in the big pink shoe singing about wanting more shoes was fricking hilarious. At least we know that they can find some stairs at that theatre to use as a stage prop. And I guess hip-hop dance companies/crews are one of the country's few growth industries right now. And was Adam Lambert on his best behavior, or what? Wonder what they threatened him with . . .

But, yay! Russell !!! He earned it, and I believe he'll make the most of his victory, without letting the naysayers drag him down. Good job!!!

December 18, 2009 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Fan

Christi in response to your question about what happened to Mia??? She has decided to pursue other things and therefore that is why she did not appear on the show.

December 18, 2009 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
  3. Elizabeth

yes, I believe Mollee was the best female, but so glad to see Russell win. Jakob deserved to be right up there too. Lots of good dancers and routines.

December 17, 2009 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Lorri

Russell has been my fave since the beginning of the season. The range he showed was truly amazing. And watching him dance...he was always so full of joy you couldnt help but like him.

December 17, 2009 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Conguero

Love the Show! I've been a fan from the start.

This season my faves were Jakob, Kathryn, and Russell. I agree that Russell was the most likeable and showed so much growth. It's amazing how quickly and how well he could pick up the different styles he was unfamiliar with, and do them so convincingly, with so much passion and joy.

Jakob is unbelievably talented. When he danced with a partner, it was hard for me to keep my eyes off him ... and I'm straight. ....that's how good he is.

Kathryn is very beautiful and talented... she was my fave girl. I thought Ellenore was very pretty also, and a great talent.

I liked Ryan a lot, but I his wife Ashleigh being voted over Mollee was completely bogus. Mollee was much better and more versatile. Ashleigh just got the sympathy vote because her shoulder. She's a sweet girl and all, but Mollee deserved it.

I hope they ALL can continue with their careers and have much success!

Nigel Rocks! I love Nigel!

December 17, 2009 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Tom

I was pulling for him, but I actually thought Russell's reaction to winning was ridiculous and out of character... "Get up here son!" ripping off the shirt a la Brandy Chastain, shout outs to God, and then stomping around on his supposedly injured leg.

My favorite dance of the season was Legacy and Kathryn's 'fear' routine. I can't believe they brought back the tappers. It is so boring to watch in comparison.

Leona Lewis was very pretty in an ugly dress. Good voice, bad song.
    The dance crew was not memorable. They should not bring in crews less talented than the competitors. Case in point, the highlight of the seaon: The League of Extraordinary Dancers. Watched that performance several times.
    Mary J. Eh.
    J.Lo was horrible. Obvious lipsynch about freaking shoes? I think AirForceOnes cornered that genre. Not fly, girl.

December 17, 2009 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Sephiroth

I was a fan of Russell from the first episode. He was the one that truly "grew" the most as a dancer. Jakob has no worries at all. He's a very talented dancer. I fell in love with Ellenore because she's a great dancer and she's extremely hot!

I do think that the season was kind of rushed though. The producers need to be careful about how far apart they space out each season. Season 5 just ended at the end of summer and boom...season 6 started only a few weeks after. I think it's better to leave us TV veiwers wanting more, by spacing out how often they do this series. In other words...overkill is not a good thing.

Overall, it's a great show and I look forward to the next season which hopefully won't be until next year sometime...

December 17, 2009 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Terri

When is someone going to explain what happened to Russell during the live show? I felt terrible for the girls who were supposed to dance with him (Noelle and Kathryn) who weren't given the chance to dance one last time live on stage. And why didn't Victor get to dance? What was hilarious is that he was obviously injured and in pain and Cat Deeley says "Have you seen a medic" and he said no. She then says "we will get you some help but first let's do an elimination!" The show must go on!!! How about going to a quick, unplanned commercial to get the guy some help, then come back for the elimination. Who was directing? He should be reprimanded. What an awful choice he made to continue with the scheduled elimination instead of doing what was appropriate.

That selection of the Bollywood number was terrible. I would rather have seen Mollee dance either one of the dances she did with Jakob. Overall, I thought it was a terrible show – very rushed, then as usual no time at the end to enjoy the celebration of the winner. I would have rather spent 3 minutes more enjoying the winning celebration than hear Adam Lambert or Leona Lewis sing (it is a dance show not a singing show!) All in all, I think voters did a good job of selecting the order of finishers except for the top two. I thought Jakob deserved to win more than Russell. Yes, Russell always looked joyful, but Jakob gave me the chills each time he danced and was a much better dancer. That being said, it is "America's favorite dancer" not "America's best dancer". May you have a long wonderful career, Jakob. If you ever come to Jacksonville, FL I would pay to watch you dance.

December 17, 2009 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Christi

Did I miss something this season? Where did Mia disappear to? Her not being there left a big void for me.

December 17, 2009 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Kirby Marie

Russell was definitely the most likable and showed the most growth and Jakob was the most talented. All in all I am so glad they were the final 2! But to be completely honest katherine was not the top girl of the season and she got very lucky the last few weeks. Come on Mollee and Ellenore were by far more talented and had way more personality that the girl who cried all the time. But oh well, Mollee and Ellenore will have long and beautiful dance careers following this show.

December 17, 2009 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Sam

this finale, both the comp finale and results finale was like a premature ejaculation, too fast and dissapointing. The removed too much from the original format. No solos, no group dances or clips. No way to get emotionally invovled. For the first time since I started watching season 2 I felt like I truely didn't care who won. The who season felt cursed. With all the injuries including Russell on the finale. You can tell that the season was simply not that insiprational when many of the revisited dances on the finale were from the top 20 genre numbers. I honestly don't find that even fair, and frankly I did not find them nearly as interesting as some of the routines that could have been selected including the paint dance or the fear dance or for heavens sake Legacy and Kathryns hot Paso. The musical numbers were highly unnessicary. This is not mid season results filler here, its supposed to be the finale. Understandably some had to be taped because of Russells unnamed incident, but the entire season felt out of sorts. It felt like dating a guy who looks like your ex but acts completely differently. I implore the powers at be to go back to original format and to 1 season a year if needed. Because this season did not feel like a season at all. I feel bad for Russell because he is the champion for the seaon that everyone is going to want to forget.

December 17, 2009 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  12. wendy

This was such an awesome season and anyone would have been worthy of winning. I liked Russel from the start and was so happy he won! Great ,great season!

December 17, 2009 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
  13. Fan

I enjoyed the show. I do believe Russell deserved to win and I was a fan of his. However I would not have been upset if any of the other dancers won. They all had outstanding abilities and I look forward to seeing them live on tour. Russell was my favorite because Krumping is such a distinctive style and he was able to master so many other dances which was amazing. I loved Elenore and Ryan and Ashley also. I was blown away by Elenore and Legacy's perfomance "The War of the Roses". Katherine and Jakob's performance on Tuesday night had me in tears. I was amazed by all the talent.

December 17, 2009 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
  14. shannon

The top four is what I expected from early on. Great season

December 17, 2009 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |