December 16th, 2009

Who will win? A three-way race on 'SYTYCD'

So You Think You Can Dance
So You Think You Can Dance

Well, here we are, the final performance show on "So You Think You Can Dance." And with a Gordon Ramsay special breathing down the show's neck, there was no time to waste.

In what was a very rushed hour, the final six (that's right, six) danced their hearts out to go for the title of "America's Favorite Dancer"... and when the dust settled, three of them looked like bona fide contenders. Let's go down the list one by one.

Kathryn McCormick (Odds of winning - 2:1)

Judge Adam Shankman's comparisons to last season's winner, Jeanine weren't far off (just a tad early last week). Talk about a late surge ... Kathryn didn't hit a wrong step all night. She had a scorching samba with Ryan, kept up with Russell, and then some, in hip-hop, and her contemporary routine with Jakob will go down as one of the most memorable in series history.

Adam seems to be pulling for her, while Nigel Lythgoe and Mary have given her high praise. The one thing Jeanine did that Kathryn didn't was the chance to do one last solo, and that proved to be a deciding factor.

Ryan Di Lello (Odds of winning - 6:1)

A great partner, no doubt, and he had a touching moment in a Travis Wall routine with his wife, Ashleigh, not to mention that samba, but he's been overshadowed for several weeks now (including by eliminated B-boy Legacy), and that emotionless jazz routine with Ellenore didn't do anyone any favors.

Jakob Karr (Odds of winning - 3:1)

Is he one of the best dancers this show has seen? Without a doubt. Did his contemporary routine with Kathryn have the crowd on their feet, Adam close to tears, and Nigel urging him to join a dance company? Absolutely. Did he knock it out of the park in his Broadway routine with Ellenore? I think you see where I'm going here.

As I said last season with Brandon, he's in the also-ran position as a very talented dancer but missing that something special that connects with the audience (see also: Danny and Travis).

And no matter how well one dances the fox trot, and he nailed it, it usually doesn't translate to votes. At the same time, I would not be at all surprised if he still ended up winning.

Ellenore Scott (Odds of winning - 4:1)

Here again, one of the most talented dancers the show has seen, but she seems destined for top six, like Mark in the fourth season. Luckily for her, she had a chance to show off her knack for quirkiness in that Fosse-esque Broadway number and robotic jazz routine.

She really, finally broke out, however in the paso doble with Russell. The paso dobles lately have been really good, though I would place this just below Legacy and Kathryn, and Brandon and Jeanine. But unfortunately, I don't think that will be enough.

Ashleigh Di Lello (Odds of winning - 5:1)

One should almost ignore those odds, because she has beaten the odds from almost the start. She was constantly in her husband's shadow during auditions and in Las Vegas. She only got into the top 20 because someone bowed out. She was never outdanced by Jakob, when that could have easily happened many times.

She was injured and forced off the stage, but got voted into the finale, anyway. So how did she did on the final night of competition?

She really had a chance to show off her gracefulness in all three routines: That beautiful moment dancing contemporary with her husband, an elegant fox trot where she actually outshined Jakob, and a lyrical jazz number with Russell which brought Mary to tears. Even so, one example of why she won't win is because Mary's tears were for Russell.

Russell Ferguson (Odds of winning - 3:2)

From the moment we first saw him this season, it was clear he was a star. The judges were absolutely blown away by the amount of growth he had this season. All three of his routines were quite memorable, including the aforementioned paso doble with Ellenore and his hip-hop with Kathryn, which could be crucial because it was last.

Even so, it's hard not to wonder if he or Jakob may have peaked too early.

So I'm really going out on a limb here. For much of this season, and at the very beginning of Tuesday night's show, I thought that Jakob would be in the final two.

Now, I'm not so sure it won't be Kathryn and Russell, with Russell coming out on top. After the year we've seen on shows like this (i.e. Kris Allen, Jeanine), anything is possible.

One thing's for sure: we want to hear from you! Who do you want to be crowned "America's Favorite Dancer?" Do you agree that Russell has the edge? Hoping for one of the other five to pull it off? And can you believe that they're already heading out to audition again in January (quite the nonstop schedule they have on this show)? Post a video with your pick, or in the comments below.

1. Graycap23

i find it interesting that 3 season ahs had the BEST dancer in the finals but they each lost 2 the favorite.

Danny
    Brandon
    Jakob

December 17, 2009 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Mary E

I can't really agree that this is the season that everyone is going to want to forget. I liked it–maybe not as much as I liked last season–but speaking only for myself, I cared a lot about who won. Jakob and Russell were worthy finalists, and both of them impressed me from their auditions onward.

There were some things I didn't like about it, such as having six finalists, but taken as a whole, I enjoyed the season.

December 17, 2009 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Sam

this finale, both the comp finale and results finale was like a premature ejaculation, too fast and dissapointing. The removed too much from the original format. No solos, no group dances or clips. No way to get emotionally invovled. For the first time since I started watching season 2 I felt like I truely didn't care who won. The who season felt cursed. With all the injuries including Russell on the finale. You can tell that the season was simply not that insiprational when many of the revisited dances on the finale were from the top 20 genre numbers. I honestly don't find that even fair, and frankly I did not find them nearly as interesting as some of the routines that could have been selected including the paint dance or the fear dance or for heavens sake Legacy and Kathryns hot Paso. The musical numbers were highly unnessicary. This is not mid season results filler here, its supposed to be the finale. Understandably some had to be taped because of Russells unnamed incident, but the entire season felt out of sorts. It felt like dating a guy who looks like your ex but acts completely differently. I implore the powers at be to go back to original format and to 1 season a year if needed. Because this season did not feel like a season at all. I feel bad for Russell because he is the champion for the seaon that everyone is going to want to forget.

December 17, 2009 at 9:00 am | Report abuse |
  4. Orikes

I would love to see Ellenore win. She is my favorite dancer by far this season. That said, I'm expecting either Kathryn or Russel to win. Jakob has the skill and the talent, but hasn't caught people's imaginations like the other two.

December 16, 2009 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Allison

I would love it if Russell won. I think it will be Jakob or Kathryn, though. Ellenore doesn't do anything for me and I think Ryan and Ashleigh should have been voted off a long time ago.

December 16, 2009 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Al

If that horse faced Ashleigh or her wimp husband wins this show, it is the end for me, and the show will lose credibility for me. The true best dancer should win, and that is obviously Jakob. He has not missed a best, is gracious, and just flat out deserves to win.

December 16, 2009 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Pemberley

RUSSELL. Enough said.

December 16, 2009 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Kelly

I love Russell–he has such a great personality and has seem so humbled by the show. I hope he wins. He is so much fun to watch!

December 16, 2009 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Tanya

Russell should win the show.

December 16, 2009 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  10. sytycd

Swap Kathryn and Jakob and I think you got it right. Jakob is different than Brandon, because he's actually been truly humble throughout the show.

December 16, 2009 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Mary E.

I really, really hope the producers don't try to cram nine routines into an hour ever, ever again. The results were as rushed as I feared they would be, and it was hard to concentrate on any of the numbers, because wham, bang!, there was the next one. Also, most of the routines felt truncated to me, and slightly underdeveloped. I suppose there's some kind of good reason for spending two hours on the final awards show but only one hour on the final dance show, but I don't know what it is. None of the announced "special guests" are all that compelling to me.

As a result, last night's show didn't change my mind. I've been following Jakob and Russell all season, and I ended up voting for Russell. But I could have voted for Jakob. Kathryn gave it her all, but I didn't see anything in her performances that made me want to switch my vote to her.

I agree with Nigel's advice to Jakob: I hope he joins a serious dance company. I'm a little surprised some company hasn't swept him up already.

December 16, 2009 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Graycap23

I think Russell has a slight edge but Kathryn is so beautiful and is the dark horse that I think she may still it from him.

December 16, 2009 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Carol W.

I think that either Russell or Kathryn will win. Their hip-hop routine really ended the show with a bang. Kathryn was as close to perfect as anyone could get last night and her level of performance has steadily improved all through the competition. Russell is the most entertaining to watch. Kathryn and Russell both have interesting personal stories and are very likable. Jakob is the most skilled dancer, but he is so good that it's almost boring to watch him. Maybe he is too perferct.

I liked the fast pace of the show last night. I wish that the judges would always be as limited in their comments. Cat did a great job in hosting the show and moving things along. I do think that the contestants should have been allowed to do one last solo.

December 16, 2009 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  14. sytycdfan

I was waiting for Jakob and Kathryn to be paired up ALL season and they were amazing together! It was worth the wait! So beautiful! Jakob and Kathryn, Top 2!! Jakob for the win!!

December 16, 2009 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |