December 16th, 2009

HBO introduces new blood on 'True Blood' for season 3

testing captions
testing captions

A sexy new supernatural is joining the cast of HBO’s “True Blood” for the much-anticipated third season.

“One Tree Hill” regular Joe Manganiello has been cast as Alcide Herveaux, the new werewolf in town who will cozy up to telepathic waitress Sookie Stackhouse, played by Golden Globe nominee Anna Paquin.

Manganiello joins cast newcomers Alfre Woodard, who will be playing cook Lafayette’s mom on the series, and James Frain of Showtime’s “The Tudors,” who will play Tara’s new love interest, vampire Franklin Mott.

In the last episode of season two, Stephen Moyer’s vampire Bill was violently kidnapped. If show creator Alan Ball follows the storyline laid out in the Charlaine Harris books on which the series is based, Paquin’s Sookie will join forces with the werewolf on a trek through Mississippi to track down her vampire lover.

Fans will be able to satisfy their vampire fix when the show returns to HBO in June.

Filed under: Stephen Moyer • television • True Blood

1. alcachofa

Thanks for sharing this, I definitely need to add more probiotics to my diet. I'm very excited about chocolate! And thanks to Emily for clarifying about the cultured vs. pickled.

March 30, 2012 at 8:03 am | Report abuse |
  2. alcachofa

I have to say that for the last few of hours i have been hooked by the amazing posts on this blog. Keep up the wonderful work.

March 19, 2012 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse |
  3. canon g11 best price

I'm extremely inspired along with your writing abilities well with the layout for your blog. Is this a paid subject or did you modify it yourself? Either way keep up the nice quality writing, it's uncommon to look a great blog like this one today.

August 25, 2011 at 7:00 am | Report abuse |
  4. Mortgage Rates For Today

Thanks so much for giving everyone a very marvellous chance to discover important secrets from this blog. It is often so useful and stuffed with amusement for me and my office friends to search your site at least three times every week to read the new stuff you have. And lastly, I'm so usually motivated with your superb secrets you serve. Selected 3 areas in this posting are really the simplest we've ever had.

August 20, 2011 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
  5. villas and condos worldwide

Wow! This could be one particular of the most useful blogs We have ever arrive across on this subject. Actually Great. I am also an expert in this topic so I can understand your hard work.

August 10, 2011 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Thermal Imaging

One Tree Hill should be the best TV series for me, the characters are great `-*

December 20, 2010 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Lunch Bags

i like the leading man on One Tree Hill, the is really a hunky guy",,

October 13, 2010 at 3:37 am | Report abuse |
  8. Ella Robinson

one is the name of that hunk in One Tree Hill ?..~

September 13, 2010 at 1:24 am | Report abuse |
  9. Martha Thomson

One Tree Hill is one of my favorite shows, the cast are great, they are handsome and beautiful.*::

July 26, 2010 at 10:53 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Gavin Wright

i used to watch One Tree Hill on my girlfriends house. great tv series.`-:

June 30, 2010 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  11. sookieverseblog

Not overly impressed with this guy as Alcide.

Alcide had green eyes – that Sookie went on and on and on about. And Joe here seems to play more of a jock/thug type.

Alcide is a man's man, but he doesn't have that feel about him. He is an important character and gut feeling is they've screwed up with this one.

December 21, 2009 at 6:18 am | Report abuse |
  12. Heather1

Alan ball did an interview way back before season 1 even started and said that Bubba would not be making an appearance. Apparently the Presley family owns his 'likeness' and wouldn't allolw it to be used. BUMMER!!!!!

December 19, 2009 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse |
  13. wishyouwere

I agree with the comment about the spoilers. The only thing that I want to know is when the show starts again, not about potential relationships. At least give the reader a spoiler warning, jerks!

December 18, 2009 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Jamie

OMG!!!! This show is THE BEST!!!!! I've read the entire Sookie Stackhouse series. My only complaint....the show is moving entirely too slowly on the Eric and Sookie relationship. GET THEM TOGETHER ALREADY!!!! Bill is boring...Eric is sooooooooooo hot..in the books AND the series. Glad to see the weres are FINALLY coming into the series. And yeah, HBO...can't we work on that timeframe y'all have going on??? We all need the show on sooner!

December 18, 2009 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Michele

I worked with this guy at a movie theater while I was in high school! I knew he was in college studying acting. Guess he's making it! That's awesome!

December 17, 2009 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
  16. MAUREEN

He is good looking..but I can't wait to see how will be cast for the Were Tiger Quinn in Charlaine's later books.

December 17, 2009 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Tracy

@ Ryan, LMAO. Good one!!!!

December 17, 2009 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Amber

Personally, I think the tv series is better than the books for the simple fact that the books are written so poorly. Here is where you can compare this story to Twilight since it was also written badly, maybe worse. Sure the ideas behind the story are great, but the lack of plot development and character development makes me want to rip my hair out. While reading these books, I get the impression that I'm reading an outline and the finished product is still in the making. It just seems like the tv series is fleshing out the weak spots as best it can. It seems like they're more interested in Eric's character and see his significance in the story. Hopefully they'll continue along that path and make him a continuous love interest for Sookie.

December 17, 2009 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  19. kayla

man i love this show and its exciting to see a new character coming to the screen! :)

December 17, 2009 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Kirby Marie

I understand that when books are made in to movies and TV Shows there are some slight hollywood-ized differences, but you have to keep the characters the same which is the foundation of the book and story, otherwise it kinda ruins it. If you haven’t read the books I am referring to Tara and the new love interest that Eric is going to have. It really bothers me, not to mention the actress that plays Tara really bothers me. Come on people, you aren’t doing Charlaine Harris any favors by ruining her story lines.

December 17, 2009 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  21. ebm

James Frain was the best on the Tudors. Can't wait to see him as a vampire!

December 17, 2009 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  22. crisponella

ugh, im not going to make it until june...

December 17, 2009 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Jen

It's good to see where Stephenie Meyer got her ideas for Twilight *eyeroll* except True Blood is apparently written better....

December 17, 2009 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
  24. Ovy

Loved season 1...very much disliked season 2...I hope season 3 brings the excitement back!

December 17, 2009 at 9:22 am | Report abuse |
  25. Dylan Deleto

I love the show and the books.

December 17, 2009 at 8:27 am | Report abuse |
  26. Ryan

The show is "OK". It basically retains almost nothing from the books, (which are MUCH better) except the names of the characters. (Sooki – good, Bill – good, Eric – should be more "nordic/viking") And, this guy is no Alcide, going by the book. He will probably fit in with the new storyline though. @Tracy, based on most of the previous casting, Quinn will probably be Verne Troyer! LOL!

December 17, 2009 at 8:17 am | Report abuse |
  27. Stuart

As much as my wife and I enjoy the show, I am not sure we will remain fans. I mean come on! Almost a year between seasons? At this rate, by the time anything substancial happens between anyone, the human characters will be so old no one will want them nakid – and the vampires fangs will have yellowed.

HBO blew it by making the shows break so long. They have had some great series, but this time they blew it with the too long of a break. Any other show has about a 2-3 months break and is then back on.

HBO – if you are going to have a series, run it like a series – not like some movie trilogy where new things only happen every few years. And change your damn movies! For a big company you surely can add some more to your list of what is on!

December 17, 2009 at 6:03 am | Report abuse |
  28. chris

Exciting!!!!!!! I cannot wait anylonger

December 17, 2009 at 3:43 am | Report abuse |
  29. lynne

Can't wait till the new season starts. Just got the short story collection and the sixth book as xmas gifts. It's all I can do to start reading now!!!

Season 3 will be a smash.

December 17, 2009 at 3:01 am | Report abuse |
  30. Tracy

No Way is that Alcide, very bad choice. The story takes place in Louisiana, Alcide's last name is Herveaux, that seems to me to be Creole. Now I wonder who they will cast for Quinn.

December 17, 2009 at 12:56 am | Report abuse |
  31. Sookie Wannabe

jessica, you are EXACTLY right. That's the season I'm waiting for. Episode after episode of Eric and Sookie together. The only thing that would make that better is if I were Sookie. Whoo hoo!

December 16, 2009 at 11:43 pm | Report abuse |
  32. LA Area Teacher

I hope Alan Ball follows the original story in the books more closely this upcoming season. The whole maenad story got expanded into too much screen time...abandoning Sookie's story. She is the main character of the series, even though Ball's adaptation is more of an ensemble piece. Minor characters like the maenad, no matter how talented the actor, do not carry the story. It was a relief when Sookie finally returned home (and on screen) and re-assumed her leading role. Poor choice by the True Blood writers to stray so long away from her; it caused the second season to stall out a bit. In my opinion, this actor looks like what one would expect of Alcide, after reading the book. So, he seems a good choice.

December 16, 2009 at 11:25 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Niki

June is far too long of a wait, they can't give us any teasers to hold us over!!! Bring on the Blood!!!!

December 16, 2009 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse |
  34. FangBanger

Good Call Philip W. ... when is Bubba coming to town.??

December 16, 2009 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
  35. anonymous

This show is amazing, Twilight is horrible.

December 16, 2009 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Rachie

Can't hardly wait for more True Blood.

~swoon~ Where is Eric when I need him?

December 16, 2009 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Dusty

The whole idea of a SPOILER ALERT is to write it BEFORE you spoil it for people. It's kind of annoying to read 'sorry if I spoiled it for anyone'; what's up with that?

December 16, 2009 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Chandira

Yeah, thanks for the spoiler!

Glad there's going to be a season 3! I love this show.

December 16, 2009 at 7:29 pm | Report abuse |
  39. reality wasteland

I am "True Mooned" out on vampires. For quality programming, my go-to is Larry the Cable Guy. I believe his presence would add some thespian excellence that is indeed rare these days.

Now, where's my Dark Shadows?

December 16, 2009 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
  40. robjh

Should be interesting.

December 16, 2009 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Tiger

I love True Blood I read all the books in like 2 months, I am glad Alfre Woodard will be joining the cast she is great.. But I cant wait till JUNE 2010 Thats a long time

December 16, 2009 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Vanessa

The picture of Joe Manganiello CNN used is terrible. If you google him, you'll see he's not a bad choice for Alcide (in physical appearance). We'll have to see if he has the acting chops to pull off the character. However, I have every faith in Alan Ball. I was a fan of the books before the show started, and I've loved every minute of this show. It's fantastic!

December 16, 2009 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
  43. mrsmarvel

First, to the person who said "I thought Layfayette's mom was dead" it doesn't really matter because Layfayette himself died at the beginning of the second book. You never met his mom in the books and he isn't Tara's cousin.

I hope this dude does Alcide justice because that's such a great character. The wait until June 2010 will only be tolerable because Chuck comes back in January, heh.

December 16, 2009 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
  44. PHilip Wardlow

Bubba...wheres's bubba.. I want Bubba!!

December 16, 2009 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Monica

I agree with Jessica... give me some Sookie/ Eric lovin!

December 16, 2009 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Jane

Not at all what you picture in your mind for Alcide. I used to love the show until I read all the books. I still watch the show because it is good, I just have to try not to compare it to the books which I think are better.

December 16, 2009 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
  47. buckwoman

Delicious!

December 16, 2009 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
  48. TJ

Well...if you really remember the books, Lafayette dies in the second book if I remember right, so. But that is ok. I think the deviations from the books and the show is good. It makes it interesting and allows for more twists. But I will say I can't wait for the first episode of the 4th season to see Eric and Sookie getting their freak on! that should be a great season! Sorry if I spoiled it for anyone!

December 16, 2009 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Lo

Come on June!!!

December 16, 2009 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Allison

From what I've seen of this guy's work, I don't like him. He's not a good actor and I don't think he's charismatic enough to pull off Alcide - who I adore. I'm excited for Alfre Woodard and James Frain, though. Loved Frain on The Tudors.

December 16, 2009 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  51. ernest

ENOUGH with the vampires. all of these shows and movies about them suck

December 16, 2009 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Pandora

To the person that wrote "I thought Lafayette's mom was dead?"

When dealing with a series whose main characters are vampires, werewolves and maenads, being dead doesn't necessarily write you out of the script.

Looking forward to the new season.

December 16, 2009 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Liz

As long as Natasha Alam's character Yvette doesn't interfere with Eric and Sookie I can deal with Lafayette's mom coming back from the dead. And Joe is certainly one sexy Alcide!.....wonder who's going to be cast as Debbie Pelt, plus we can't forget Claudine and Claude!!

December 16, 2009 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Craig

Great new cast additions. Alfre Woodard and James Frain are two world class actors!!! Can't wait for the new season!!!

December 16, 2009 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
  55. yesitsme

waiting too long -- taking almost a year off

December 16, 2009 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Jen

He looks like a young Bruce Campbell.

December 16, 2009 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  57. TallCubVA

He may be handsome – but he certainly is no Alcide

December 16, 2009 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Wendy Rodriguez

Don't like True Blood ?!? What's not to like, there's vampires, werewolves, sex, blood, gore, humor and Anna Paquin naked!

December 16, 2009 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Boswellmachine

Great show. Looking forward to when Season 2 comes out on DVD.

December 16, 2009 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
  60. kimmi

I can't even imagine how they're going to follow the tangled web. All I know is "Eric" is gonna be half nekkid in the firs episode and I'm a happpppppyyyy gal!! Alcide's a total doucher and I hope he gets eaten by one of the were panthers.

December 16, 2009 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  61. John

Shocking show.

Love every shadowy minute of it.

December 16, 2009 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  62. c.d.

I love Joe! He was an excellent regular cast member of "One Tree Hill" and as a bit player on "How I Met Your Mother"! As a reader of Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse series, he is a great pick for the character Alcide! I don't subscribe to HBO, so I've never watched "True Blood", but may need to start!

December 16, 2009 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  63. jessica

Sure hope they follow the books to the point where Bill and Sookie break up and Sookie gets to spend some 'quality' time with Eric while he's plagued by amnesia!!! Whoo Hoo... just holding out for that baby!!

December 16, 2009 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Venuschild

I thought Lafayette's mom was dead?

December 16, 2009 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  65. cartec

Like all the others this season promises excitement, suspense and erotica. I wonder who will play Alcide's former girlfriend. I can't wait til June.

December 16, 2009 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  66. nick meye

this season could be interesting.

December 16, 2009 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Mia

if you have read the books this guy looks nothing like the picture you form in your mind of Alcide....long hair dark and gorgeous nothing like this guy.....bleuh poor casting

December 16, 2009 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Maggie

SWOON! I can't WAIT!

December 16, 2009 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  69. T Lee

This is such a good show. Vampires, shape shifters, a maenad and now a werewolf. Bon Temps sure is an interesting place!

December 16, 2009 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Avelyne

Wow! I've read all but the last 3 of the Charlaine Harris' True Blood series – he is a dead ringer for Alcide!!! (no pun intended) Can't wait for this to start up again!!!!

December 16, 2009 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  71. L

What's up with the spoilers? Tell me about the new addition to the cast and keep your mouth shut. : [

December 16, 2009 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Lena

Extremely unlikely that Ball will follow anything but the barest bones of book 3. Alice and Sookie will probably join the circus to spring Bill, who's been trapped in a lion cage by the Apparently Oh So Evil Eric.

December 16, 2009 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Debra R

don't like vampires...but have friends who will be excited.

December 16, 2009 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  74. AD

Man,
    This is such a long wait. Can't wait for the new season

December 16, 2009 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |