December 16th, 2009

Bethenny Frankel bares all in Times Square

testing captions
testing captions

"Real Housewife" Bethenny Frankel took it all off for PETA’s anti-fur campaign in a monolithic booty-baring 58-foot billboard, unveiled in Times Square Tuesday. The ad, which is sure to stop traffic, declares " "Fur? I'd Rather go Naked."

The cookbook author and reality television star will return for the next season of “The Real Housewives of New York,” as well as star in her own upcoming Bravo series.

Frankel admitted in a PETA statement that she "used to wear fur" like her socialite friends.

After she encountered a PETA protester holding a sign of a "skinned animal," she changed her ways. "It made me sick. I felt disgusting," Frankel said. "I'm cleaning out my closets - trim, everything. I don't see any reason for cruelty."

The 39-year old was pregnant when the ad was shot by photographer Joseph Cultice, but was pleased to note her photo didn't require any air-brushing. She is expecting her first child with boyfriend Jason Hoppy next Spring.

Post by: ,
Filed under: television

1. fydxwvpk

nhfq レスポートサック ポーチ jimmy choo バッグ ミュウミュウ バッグ hermes 財布 coach 財布 tyfo
    レスポートサック 激安 ジミーチュウ 財布 ミュウミュウ バッグ hermes バッグ コーチ アウトレット bfji
    レスポートサック ポーチ jimmy choo 財布 miumiu バッグ エルメス 財布 コーチ 財布 enra
    レスポートサック 店舗 jimmy choo 財布 ミュウミュウ バッグ hermes バッグ コーチ アウトレット ivtw
    レスポートサック ショルダーバッグ ジミーチュウ miumiu 財布 エルメス コーチ 財布 kbxc

xhpe
    mhvs
    bokb

September 29, 2013 at 10:43 pm | Report abuse |
  2. YOU DID NOT HEAR THE PHONE CALL CORRECTLY

I SAID I HAVE EXPENSIVE ONES BUT FOR CASUAL I USE RAY BAN-YEA THAT'S WHAT I SAID

April 10, 2013 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Translated. thanks

that was fast sheesh

April 10, 2013 at 9:22 pm | Report abuse |
  4. btuakasn

esjd paul smith 財布レイバン メガネレイバン 眼鏡レイバン サングラスレイバン サングラス yvar
    paul smithレイバン サングラスレイバン サングラスレイバン 眼鏡レイバン icfp
    paul smith 財布レイバン 眼鏡レイバン レイバン メガネレイバン uolj
    paul smith 財布レイバン 眼鏡レイバン サングラスレイバン サングラスレイバン 眼鏡 ejav
    paul smith バッグレイバン メガネレイバン メガネレイバン 眼鏡レイバン nama

xbjj
    pixn ポールスミス バッグ 店舗ray ban サングラス 2013ray ban サングラス 通販ray ban メガネ アウトレットray ban メガネ 通販 ckzr
    ポールスミス バッグ 店舗ray ban サングラス アウトレットray ban サングラス 格安ray ban メガネ 2013ray ban メガネ 格安 bzfs
    ポールスミス バッグ 激安ray ban アウトレットray ban サングラス 店舗ray ban メガネ 店舗ray ban メガネ 格安 rgwf
    ポールスミス バッグ 格安ray ban アウトレットray ban サングラス 激安ray ban サングラス 新作ray ban メガネ 格安 vfqz

iexl

April 10, 2013 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jay

Hooray for PETA! If it weren't for them, situations would have never improved for animals. We still have a long way to go. I too was misinformed but was willing to open my eyes to the situation with animal cruelty and what I was putting into my body. However, this Frankel woman will stop at nothing to make a buck. She was wearing furs, etc, even in this day and age and now she's so holier than though. Give me a break Frankel.

December 21, 2009 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
  6. Debra R

Al & JJ: no offense meant. I have a leather wearing, harley riding brother. I have great respect for bikers. What I do not have respect for is the way PETA picks it's victims for their propoganda.... if you like we can transfer the location from a biker bar to a leather bar....

December 21, 2009 at 9:22 am | Report abuse |
  7. antonio

put some clothes on you are gonna make us all puke!

December 20, 2009 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
  8. wayne

ugggh..who wants to see this cougar naked? its like looking at a saggy autumn squash

December 20, 2009 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  9. Stephanie

Funny how she waited for her father to pass away before that came out.

December 18, 2009 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Lynn

I cannot believe all the cruel- mean – nasty – hateful- vicious attacks that have been heaped on Bethenny

December 18, 2009 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
  11. brendan philbick

S he doesn't look totally real in a few ways , nice to see a bod but I'm buying y wife a fur coat cuz we like em

December 18, 2009 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Anita

Good for you Bethenny. I love that you're out there. I'm so happy for you and your boyfriend with a baby coming in the Spring. I'm so glad that you're finally having your baby. There is no love in the whole wide world that compares to the love for a child and the return love you get back from your child. It's unbelieveable!!! Can't wait till the "Real Housewives of New York" starts it's new season. New York is my fav. Good luck with everything and have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Anita

December 18, 2009 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  13. Ron

PETA? Isn't that a kind of bread you stuff with the meat of all the animals we eat that are at the bottom of the food chain?

December 18, 2009 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
  14. Tom

I find it amazing how many people here think animal abuse is a minor problem. You might find PETA's methods intrusive, annoying, or perhaps tittilating, but there is no denying from the comments on this board that there are a lot of people who don't care that fish are cut open while alive to produce caviar, or that rabbtis have their eyes forced open to test eyedrops or that entire species are being killed so humans can wear their skin. It's horrible! I have no objection to seeing a nice nubile female body to remind me not to be cruel, but since most fur-wearers are female, perhaps PETA should encourage Brad Pitt to show his hiney for no more fur!

December 18, 2009 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
  15. Ken

Dear PETA – If you are going to titilate so that I will shed my fur-lined boxers, could you please get someone hotter?

December 18, 2009 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  16. Bill from Atlanta

I love animals and agree we just can't stop every noncritical action just because money is tight and the economy is bad (buying a 58ft billboard is good for business, thanks PETA!) but it would be nice to see effort put towards more worthy causes – starving people for example. PETA is simply too radical and loses mainstream support with their tactics. I have never heard of this woman but I am sure she enjoys a good steak now and then. Seems hypocritical.

December 18, 2009 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
  17. Michael

No way she does this if her more famous father was still alive. Disappointing.

December 18, 2009 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  18. pete

And what makes this skunk think thta anyone wants to see her naked? YUCK!

December 18, 2009 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
  19. carmen

Her cookbook is FILLED with delicious MEAT meals including VEAL!! And she loves her leather boots & purses. What a hypocrite!

December 18, 2009 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
  20. Network

You know whats dripping with Hypocrisy??? PETA kills more animals in the US than the Humain Society does. 75% of their budget is spent on euthanasia. They are sooo messed up, they don't even try and relocate or rehabilitate the animals they so call "rescue" , they just wack em.... Its almost like they are wanting the thrill of the kill kept to themselves exclusively.

December 18, 2009 at 10:28 am | Report abuse |
  21. RB

I am so sick and tired of PETA and all their BS tactics. Frankly, I will stick to eating meat at McDonalds, KFC and every other establishment that suits my fancy. I don't wear fur because it is too expensive, not for any other reason.

As someone else so eloquently stated, man did not reach the top of the food chain just so that we can eat grass.

Don't waste your breathe or efforts on me.

Frankly, those mindless idiots who protest at McDonalds over treatment of chickens are in dire need for a little re-education as well.

December 18, 2009 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
  22. Miss Athena

Ok, Ok...Vegans, it is NOT about this, ahem, "housewife" having an awakening one day and walking a different path from us diabolical consumers of animals that has tarnished poor little PETA and vegans. If you read between the lines of all of the anti-PETA comments, it is current and past PETA tactics, and demograhic bullying of those who don't march to the PETA drum that has blown them into the spectrum of the ridiculous. I personally don't give a frog's fat one as to what PETA's goals are or what their mission is; just stay out of my way and my business and I'll stay out of yours....period.

December 18, 2009 at 10:07 am | Report abuse |
  23. jim

"when you pray tonight, thank god, that animal is not walking in your pelt!"

December 18, 2009 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
  24. midwest

Sure, maybe a few wimpy Hollywood types are buying into this PETA crap but the bulk of real people with functioning brains will continue to do what we've done since the beginning of humanity. That is, we will wear whatever we feel like wearing. It is as basic as eating whatever we feel like eating – a basic liberty. Why are so many willing to give up their freedoms to avoid the "guilt" trips of the few? Don't we have more important things to concern ourselves with? If we didn't spend so much time being "entertained" and "schooled" by the weak-minded, perhaps we would more time to think for ourselves!

December 18, 2009 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
  25. John in Gretna

Its disturbing to read so many comments of people who have lost any sort of moral compass.
    A highlight of this movement is the skinning of animals, often while still alive, to provide a fancy collar, cuff or coat. No use is made of the meat, nor any consideration for the animal's suffering.
    If you are such a supporter of the unrestricted disrespectful use of other living things, why not skin your pet dog and wear him around your collar? We have great fabrics that provide good insulation and protection from the elements, so why adorn it with another's skin for the sake of your vanity?
    If I was living in the woods or in a remote location (Eskimos), you would be expected to live off the land. Kill a dear, use everything. That is a far cry from some fanciful little piece of fur that cost a fellow creature its life to make you look more important.

December 18, 2009 at 9:12 am | Report abuse |
  26. citizenUSA

I admire her convictions. But I wish it was Mariah Carey, (all respect to her and Nick).

December 18, 2009 at 9:06 am | Report abuse |
  27. RDC

I'd rather she kept her clothes on and ate a sandwich...yech she's so thin.

December 18, 2009 at 8:50 am | Report abuse |
  28. Wendy

Fur had its purpose circa 500 BC. With the invention of microfiber, polypro, and wearable WOOL, for heaven's sake, why would anyone bother wearing fur?

December 18, 2009 at 8:48 am | Report abuse |
  29. nixliberals

she declares "unethical" the skinning of animals for legitimate use but "unethically" goes nude for a huge public display, that tramp!!!!

December 18, 2009 at 8:43 am | Report abuse |
  30. Tony

I understand that after seeing Bethenny Frankel nude, PETA has reversed their stance on fur and are now encouraging her to put some on.....quickly.

December 18, 2009 at 8:26 am | Report abuse |
  31. Mike

So what do the PETA people do with all the animal skins after they've had their steak?

December 18, 2009 at 7:49 am | Report abuse |
  32. glen

Why is CNN giving free advertising (promotion) online and on their television channel to a special interest group that is advertising on billboards? Where is the free advertising for ALL other special interest groups that advertise on billboards?

CNN "news" is a joke.

December 18, 2009 at 5:48 am | Report abuse |
  33. Niki

Be careful Betheny....What would Ramona say about you taking your clothes off. I hope that you asked for her permission first.

December 18, 2009 at 1:06 am | Report abuse |
  34. JJ

I am a "biker" who is vegetarian, does not wear leather or fur, and hangs out in biker bars, and has never had any problems. And for those who are so interested in PETA supporters going into biker bars, how about going up to Tony Gonzalez, the professional football player who also posed for a PETA "I'd rather go naked than wear fur" ad and telling him to his face how stupid PETA supporters are. I'd like to see that on You Tube.

December 18, 2009 at 12:41 am | Report abuse |
  35. Li

Animals were NOT put here for our USE.. In the beginning it was a vegetarian diet

December 18, 2009 at 12:25 am | Report abuse |
  36. ramiro

way to go bethany

bravo to you

December 17, 2009 at 8:14 pm | Report abuse |
  37. BGHunter

PETA- yea they may want Ethical Treatment for Animals.
    But do you know where your store bought food comes from?
    It comes from farms where chickens, cattle, pigs, sheep, goats, geese, and fish, and more are raised so that people like you can eat.
    Where do you think your leather goods come from, its not the store, its from the animals we eat.
    When they made that acronym, They made a freudian slip.
    PETA- stands for People Eating Tasty Animals.

December 17, 2009 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Karen

EWWWW she's not hot at all

December 17, 2009 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |
  39. ken

And wearing fur is wrong why? PETA and other veg-heads really need to get a grip. Go fight polution or do something worthwhile with your lives.

December 17, 2009 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Dee

Still grasping for the spotlight......I don't care what she wears. She is an attention junkie. Why is it okay for these PETA people to harass citizens? There are more important issues that we face everyday in this country.

December 17, 2009 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Al

Use your own hands to kill and skin the animals you decide God put on this earth solely for your use. Or at the very least, watch someone doing it without looking away. Try it. Only then do you have ANY right to wear their skin over yours. Have you ever asked a PETA-minded person WHY they feel the way they do about the fur industry? If you don't like the idea of an adult conversation, go to there website and actually read what they have there. Jews, Christians, and Muslims? Carnivores, Omnivores, Vegetarians, Vegans? If you don't agree with your neighbor, how about TOLERANCE? Childish verbal attacks without substance are an assault on, and insult to, everybody.

December 17, 2009 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Al

Hey, Debra R: PETA supporters won't walk into a biker bar? I look like a biker, sound like a biker, hang out with bikers IN biker bars, and I wear no fur, no leather, use non-animal-tested products as often as I can, am a vegetarian AND my biker friends and I talk about these issues, as well as vivisection by the way (You might want to look into that one!), as often as we discuss music, religion, sex, the road, physics, anything at all. Keep your stereotypes to yourself, please. Go watch Rescue Ink and then tell us about bikers.

December 17, 2009 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Dana

PETA = Please Eat The Animals

December 17, 2009 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Hipocrite

Hey DS.. I don't have a problem with animal cruelty, but when the founder of peta is a diabetic and survives off of insulin that was derived from animal testing (rats in cages, monks in cages, dogs in cages, ect.) and has the balls to be a radical about the issue she is the biggest hipocrite. The celebs probably use 100 million facial and make up items to look good that were tested on animals. So maybe the founder of peta should stop taking her insulin and the celebs stop wearing make up and use that money to donate to the human society to help animals and not for personal benefit and to say they look good naked. This chick is a chef... does she not cook meat? HIPOCRITES. What are your people's debate about the founder of PETA living because of animal testing?????? thank you

December 17, 2009 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Judge

Traditional values.
    My ancestors killed, ate and wore animals.
    Provided for their offspring.
    Top of the food-chain, we walk in the footsteps of giants.

December 17, 2009 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Joe

Hey, Bob. I don't agree with Ms. Frankel's marital status for Biblical reasons, which is the only ground on which I feel justified to make any comment at all, and my objection to the photo was an objection to public nudity, not to the way Ms. Frankel looks.

Other than that, I think the point I was making is the same as yours. I think it's great that she's adhering to a set of ethics, any set of ethics, as opposed to just doing whatever's most convenient. I wish more of us would act accordingly and give her a break. Why does disagreement have to be so layered with hate, an opinion it appears you and I share?

December 17, 2009 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Josh

Suppose PETA succeeds and successfully lobbies a ban on the fur industry...what then? The already over-population of these little critters will exponentially increase. Then the carcasses (including fur) from these creatures will merely begin to pile up on the roadside from road kills…suddenly none of the animal is made to good use. Maybe PETA should go after the automobile industry too and lobby that it’s inhumane to drive a car. Perhaps all progress in general is inhumane. Progress stops and PETA will cease to exist. Ultimately in the end, we all lose.

Instead, PETA should use its powers of persuasion to get that bag of bones to eat something already!

December 17, 2009 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Lee

Most people realize we need to use animals out of necessity and to avoid overpopulation. But killing out of necessity and torturing for fun are just two completely different things.

Ever seen a German Shepherd skinned alive? Its fur ripped off his body while he is screaming in agony? Do yourself a favor and search YouTube...it is eye opening.

December 17, 2009 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Chad

Come on, could the picture be anymore touched up? Look at some of the other pictures and she has bags and looks like she is in her 50's. Then you look at the woman on the billboard and I would put her at half that age. Doesn't even look like her.

December 17, 2009 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Luvin plastic surgery

There is a 0% chance this woman is 39.

December 17, 2009 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
  51. irock

I toss the head and fur and eat the meat. Their right, Wearing it would be gross unless your at some kind of Mid Evil fair or something...

December 17, 2009 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Burke

She's having a little bastard with her boyfriend Jason. How cute!

December 17, 2009 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Ron G.

Could they at least show the billboard?

December 17, 2009 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Jack49

Hey, they kill the animal before they skin it. I have absolutely NO problem with wearing fur ... as long as the animal is also used for necessary food.

December 17, 2009 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  55. MmmMmmGood

There's room for all God's creatures – right next to my mashed potatoes!

December 17, 2009 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  56. curtis martin

A "Real Housewife" nude? Oh vomit.
    Why can't more PRE-menapausal women participate in the "I'd Rather Go Naked" campaign?

December 17, 2009 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  57. M.A.B.

It is my personal opinion that everyone posting comments slamming Ms. Frankel and/or PETA needs to get a new hobby. Instead of wasting your time with such negative energy go do something positive. Volunteer at the ASPCA, at a senior citizens home with your local veterans society. If you don't like what's on TV in reality sector, turn off the television, read a book, go outside and explore nature with your kids. I think we all waste too much time with what other people are doing wrong and don't spend enough time ourselves doing any good.

December 17, 2009 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  58. meg b

Debra R I LOVE that comment!!! BAHAHAHAHAHA
    I dont know you but from that comment alone I know you are awesome!

December 17, 2009 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Jon

She and the PETA crowd should come to Wisconsin and enjoy some of the venison I will be eating and if she is lucky she can have some of the rabbit I will be shooting tomorrow.

December 17, 2009 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Casey

Debra R – time to get a life.

December 17, 2009 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Scott

P.E.T.A. = People Eating Tasty Animals

Someone pass the BBQ sauce, please?

December 17, 2009 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Richard

The best way to stop the use of fur coats is to kill all the animals that they come from and make them extinct. These animals are useless beasts other than for clothing anyway. Then we can all move on to other issues like properly increasing real food production.

December 17, 2009 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Debra R

Love these fools who are saying that it is OK to wear leather becuase the animals would be killed anyway......

I think we all must realize that when we eat, even if it is a plant....something has to die....think of the horror the wheat feels when the thresher slices it ...or the infamy of people eating apples....all those baby apples being senslessly slaughtered for pie! You horrid, horrid vegetarians!!!!! I am weepinng right now at your cruelty!

December 17, 2009 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Bob

Hey, Joe, who are you to criticize her marital status? Personally, I liked the photo – she looks great to me. How anyone could say she is ugly is beyond me. As far as there being more pressing matters than animal cruelty, certainly it would be great if everyone was involved in the biggest crisis facing all of us, that being global warming. But, it is really best for each to be involved in whatever they are most passionate about. While I am not a vegetarian, I salute Ms. Frankel for speaking out against animal cruelty. I don't agree with everything PETA does but some of their points, like factory farms and killing animals for fur, are valid.

December 17, 2009 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
  65. justinmilwaukee

you are all disgusting. complaining about a woman because she isn't a fat slob and doesn't want to wear fur.

god forbid someone walks a different path from you and decides to stay in shape and make what she feels to be positive changes in her life.

you are all complaining about her choosing not to wear fur. does it affect you somehow?

go vegan.

December 17, 2009 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Jan

I agree. Some take this too far. I wear my fur coat whenever I can.
    It is the warmest coat I have ever worn and and these brutal midwest winters have me wearing the fur frequenhtly. If you are lucky enough to afford one try one. Life is all about choices!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

December 17, 2009 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  67. ed

i believe there is a place for all of the little critters, right next to the mashed tators! peta also stands for people eating tasty animals

December 17, 2009 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Richard

PETA – People Eating Tasty Animals
    You don't need to be naked to enjoy one of God's gifts to mankind.

December 17, 2009 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Geo

I like skinny women! The closer to the bone, the sweeter the meat!

And Catca, are you serious!? Geese naturally "shed" their down in quantities vast enough to stuff your down parka!? I'm remembering all the geese on the farm I was raised on, NONE of them shed more than a handfull in a year. Geese are raised and harvested for 2 things; MEAT and DOWN FEATHERS.

December 17, 2009 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Interested

linda- animals can be spade and nudered. Thus they can control producing more of their species. People should come first.

December 17, 2009 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Tom

P – People
    E – eating
    T – Tasty
    A – Animals

I'd like to see them go into a biker bar too.
    It would be a hit if it happened and was taped & posted on youtube!

December 17, 2009 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Merlin

Somebody tell her to put her clothes back on and grab a burger, my god that is one skinny, ugly woman. Oh but if she is so pro-Peta then she shouldn't be eating meat either because BURGERS COME FROM ANIMALS. You don’t see naked skeleton so called celebrities on bill boards speaking out against the Wendy’s double stack. Listen I don’t condone animal cruelty either but let’s not forget we are part of the food chain and man has been eating animals for centuries and using their fur to stay warm. It was rich skinny over-indulged women like her that made animal skins popular in the first place and drove the demand and price up. Now she wants everyone to believe she is responsible and cares for animals…please give me a break.

December 17, 2009 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
  73. chuck

How can she be a "real housewife?" I thought you have to be married to be a wife.

December 17, 2009 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
  74. Joe

I don't approve of Ms. Frankel's marital status, I don't approve of her displaying herself naked for all the world to see, and I believe there are many more important, at least more currently pressing, issues than the evil of cruelty to animals. Should I therefore seek to deny Bethenny a voice? Even if I disagree, should I discourage and even castigate her for desiring to embrace an ethical stance?

Isn't that how we grow and become better people? It is, isn't it?

December 17, 2009 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
  75. Dave

I sure hope she doesn't we anything made of silk or wool either.

December 17, 2009 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |
  76. Joe Shmoe

Man these people are rediculous. PETA is an orginaztion that needs to wake up!!! OH by the way it should be called People Eating Tasty Animals.

December 17, 2009 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  77. SP

Ummm, this woman is in need of food. Protien such as Beef would do her a lot of good.

Its amazing how many people idolize other people just because they are on TV. Then they take on their social and political styles and views. People, get a life, stop being a follower and make your own voice heard. Stop following malnurished, high school drop outs who only claim to fame is being on the boob tube.

December 17, 2009 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
  78. Mik

Quick someone please buy this poor woman lunch.

December 17, 2009 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
  79. Linda

Susan – The animal that provided your coat was a minK not a minX.

Hacked off – Humans have alternatives to breeding; it's called birth control. If they can't afford it they should consider abstaining from sex. Animals don't have that option available to them.

I agree with ginger ridge and I also understand and respect Frozen North's comments.

It's comments like some of these that encourage me to join organizations I might otherwise ignore – the ACLU, NOW, People for the American Way, Defenders of Animals. Maybe PETA next...and I AM a meat eater.

December 17, 2009 at 9:42 am | Report abuse |
  80. Santa

There's room for all of God's creatures...right next to the mashed potatoes.

December 17, 2009 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
  81. Catca

Ummm, I live in a northern extreme cold climate where today we have negative wind chills. I don't need to wear fur to stay warm. I do have a long down coat but geese are not harmed in giving up their feathers that they naturally shed. PETA, for the record, is against testing on animals for pharmaceutical and cosmetic purposes as well (although I personally disagree with PETA on that point). I think the point with fur is that the fur trapping industry is NOT humane. As far as Bethanny Frankel goes, I don't watch reality tv and if it wasn't for the tabloids, I'd have no idea who she was. She looks very good in the ad, air brushed or not.

December 17, 2009 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
  82. nixliberals

Was her "kitty" fur free or is she against shaving that animal?

December 17, 2009 at 9:15 am | Report abuse |
  83. Bruiser

I'm just glad she's not Canadian!

December 17, 2009 at 9:09 am | Report abuse |
  84. Annie

Ick! That's really a man, right?

December 17, 2009 at 9:06 am | Report abuse |
  85. American Woman

She didn't bare it all – – it doesn't even LOOK like her – no wrinkles on the face...no flaws whatsoever? She's dreaming – the billboard is of young woman – not this cougar wanna be -

December 17, 2009 at 8:22 am | Report abuse |
  86. Dave N

PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals...

December 17, 2009 at 7:53 am | Report abuse |
  87. SLAYERSWINE

"but you never see them going to a biker bar where everyone wears leather...pay $$$$ to see that! "
    ...previously posted by Debbie R

I couldn't agree with you more. PETA protesters definitely pick their spaces to make an impact where it seems like they always have the upper hand.

December 17, 2009 at 7:23 am | Report abuse |
  88. alan

Moonbeam – synthetic fibers are horrible for the environment. Polyester, never composts. The gasses released into the atmosphere when making vinyl are poisonous. There is not a suitable substitute for fur that does not do permanent damage to the environment that is even remotely as warm. Same goes for leather and abrasion resistance (think shoes, gloves, aprons, safety gear in general).

December 17, 2009 at 5:49 am | Report abuse |
  89. alan

ginger ridge – what have I done to end cruelty?

I kept an animal from starving and contracting a disease due to overpopulation that was caused from the displacment of their natural predators. I kept an animal from being hit by a car and left to die a slow and painful death on the side of a road due to expansion of territory due to overpopulation.

PETA kills more animals than the SPCA every year. They abort 90% of the animals they take in. Killing a healthy animal and not using it to improve the lot of someone is far more cruel and killing a healthy animal and using it as clothing and food. How many dogs/cats that are healthy and capable of living a long and happy life must be put to death because the People for Ethical Treatment of Animals couldn't find them a home. I would bet that most every kill shelter out there has a better adoption rate than PETA does.

You also realize that the founder of PETA no longer wants to be associated with PETA because they think PETA has gone too far?

December 17, 2009 at 5:41 am | Report abuse |
  90. Michelle

I have more respect for the real housewives of NYC because they have jobs unlike real housewives who sit on their butts letting their husbands take care of them and going I am a stay at home mom then you find out the kids are 20 and 17 like what are you doing all day get a life and a job.

December 17, 2009 at 5:12 am | Report abuse |
  91. Kristian

It's wild, whenever something comes up about animal cruelty, or (heaven forbid!) PETA, people get really freaked out. I'm a vegan, don't wear leather, and certainly don't wear fur....and I'm quite aware I'm not perfect.

If someone wants to help the elderly, who don't you all freak out and say that they should pick a "real" issue, like helping children? Or, instead of children, how about veterans....whatever the great chain of "valid" causes might be in your world.

I think it's because the whole notion of avoiding animal cruelty calls into question a lot of habits that we all grew up with (me too)....and rather than examine our habits, we'd prefer to call someone else a name.

I know, and am related, to really good people who eat meat. Most of them aren't so insecure that they have to call me a name when I don't.

December 17, 2009 at 1:46 am | Report abuse |
  92. Moonbeam

The various writers above who suggest PETA is hypocritical with regard to wearing leather are failing to draw the distinction between leather made from animals who are slaughtered anyway for food (why throw the skins away?), and those who lose their lives just for their furs.

Unless one lives in an extremely cold area where coats of synthetic materials are not readily available (such as perhaps Siberia), there really isn't a good reason to slaughter an animal just for its fur. Although I have some emphathy for people of little means who live in remote areas and depend on fur trade for their livelihood, I wish they had other options.

Also, I would like to see more shoe manufacturers work on developing leather-like shoes which also "breathe." We can't all wear espadrilles to work, and most of the synthetic "leathers" are very hot and uncomfortable.

December 17, 2009 at 12:59 am | Report abuse |
  93. Steven R.

Sorry, if the animal isn't endangered, I don't see any problem with humanely using the pelt/fur/leather.

December 17, 2009 at 12:33 am | Report abuse |
  94. Steve

man, people are nasty (especially brave behind a keyboard). Bethanny, I'll look at you naked anytime!

December 17, 2009 at 12:11 am | Report abuse |
  95. Casey

Grace and MT: leather is a by-product from animals that are killed first and foremost for meat. If an animal is going to be killed for meat (which is not going to change anytime soon), than our society should use ALL of that animal; otherwise, it is a shameful waste. If people were to stop wearing leather, the animal would STILL be killed for the meat. For that reason, wearing/using leather is NOT the same thing as wearing fur.

Fur is not a by-product. Animals are killed for thier fur and only their fur to feed the vanity of people who desire to be "fashionable". If people were to stop wearing fur, these animals would no longer be farmed and killed. Mink burgers are not going to become popular.

December 16, 2009 at 11:53 pm | Report abuse |
  96. Seal Buster

We've got so many real problems in this world and this country. These PETA wack-jobs need to solve hunger, poor education and right-wing talk shows before they get me sobbing about fur coats. Good thing for the Neanderthals that PETA didn't pop up back in the day. Guess what would have happened to them.... but come to think about it, what DID happen??

December 16, 2009 at 11:50 pm | Report abuse |
  97. Sarah

I eat meat, fish and poultry.
    I love leather garments, shoes and bags.
    I wear fur.

Top of the food chain!

If it weren't for Peta's illegal and dangerous tactics of making their point, I might have stayed vegetarian and wore cotton.

December 16, 2009 at 11:47 pm | Report abuse |
  98. JJ

I'm a member of PETA.

People Eating Tasty Animals.

Nothing like a Porterhouse, Medium Rare.

December 16, 2009 at 11:38 pm | Report abuse |
  99. l

she's nasty. she's needs to eat one of those meals that she cooks.

December 16, 2009 at 11:38 pm | Report abuse |
  100. cmkc

Man has dominion over the animals, but dominion does not mean abuse, torture, maltreatment, and insensitivity - it means responsibility to care for. Folks who castigate PETA and bring up the apples and oranges argument of abused kids are doing just that, mixing apples and oranges. I am sure that PETA folks are not promoting child abuse just because they choose to stand up for animals – what an insipid argument. Unfortunately in the case of animals, abuse will only net you a misdemeanor in many States. Unfortunately, in the case of child abuse, the Courts just rcontinue to return the children to their abusers. Abuse of all animals (and yes, we humans are animals) needs to be punished more severely.

December 16, 2009 at 11:24 pm | Report abuse |
  101. dave

It's great to give up fur...but what about all the clothes we all wear made by "slave" labor in China? And to imagine that most of the clothes that the so-called socialites wear on "Housewives" are so incredibly overpriced at the retail level while the poor people who make them work for pennies or a few dollars a day. We're all guilty.

December 16, 2009 at 10:52 pm | Report abuse |
  102. DS

Agree 100% with ginger ridge. Thank you for putting it so nicely.

Reading these comments is SO frustrating and disheartening.

First of all, what is wrong with you people that it makes you so angry when someone stands up for something they believe in? And you have to attack everything about them? Second, the hypocrisy argument does not make any sense. It definitely does not make someone a bad person or a hypocrite because they work towards ending one evil, but not all of the related evils at the same time. AND the argument about indigenous people using fur is a little different than the situation we have today, as if anyone really needed to point this out to you.

Thank you, Bethenny, for bringing awareness to animal cruelty!

December 16, 2009 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
  103. Frozen North

Come up here to Alaska and peddle you anti animal cruelty crusade. Up here, we hunt, we wear fur and we respect animal life. These things can coexist. Plus when its dang cold, a nice fur jacket, hat and mittens are relished. Feel free to run around naked up here all you want. That should last about 2 seconds.

December 16, 2009 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
  104. Casey

PETA is such a joke. They need a naked women to get them recongized by the public. What a waste of money and time. PETA would really like to see what haning on my walls at home if they think fur is bad. haha!

December 16, 2009 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
  105. Stella

PETA supporters have to be morons. I wonder if any PETA employees or supporters ever lived in an area where hunting for food and using animal skins for warmth are required in order to survive. Doubt it as I don't hear much about PETA's activities in Siberia or Alaska.

I suggest they take on another animal protection job like rescuing dogs and horses from owners who don't care for them properly. They could go around and take pictures for documentation, file complaints, testify in court against the offender and actually change things for the better. They can then keep the animals and take very good care of them forver. They can comb the animals daily, save their fur, knit it into sweaters and make more money to reinvest in saving more animals.

But they won't do any of that because they are really just self serving attention hounds.

December 16, 2009 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
  106. Matthew in Wisconsin.

Seriously! If she is not married she is NOT a REAL housewife. Furthermore, EAT SOMETHING. Preferably something with protein in it And lastly, I don't give a crap what her opinion about anything is. Likewise, I am sure she doesn’t give a flip of my opinion of unmarried women having children.

December 16, 2009 at 7:58 pm | Report abuse |
  107. Danielle

I clicked this article thinking it was about a cast member of Desperate Housewives.......... Dissapointment ensues

December 16, 2009 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
  108. M Lynn

How can you be a housewife if you're not a wife. It says she is expecting with her "boyfriend."

December 16, 2009 at 7:41 pm | Report abuse |
  109. Grace

You know, Fur is a renewable resource. Doesn't require fossil fuels to make like polyester or any plastic form of fabric. Indigenous peoples have survived using fur for hundreds of thousands of years with out destroying their environment. Cruelty is not necessary to farm fur bearing animals. If you quit wearing fur you should also turn in your leather shoes, belts, purses, wallets, phone cases, brief cases and car seats and become a vegetarian.

December 16, 2009 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |
  110. Hacked off

Corrections....SPCA should read PETA and "expose" should be exposure.

December 16, 2009 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
  111. MT

So question for all the PETA "anti-fur wingnuts"

What is on your feet? Is your purse leather? Furniture in your home? Interior in your car? Can you lookup the definition of hypocrite?

If a CONSERVATIVE doesn't like fur they don't buy it, if a LIBERAL doesn't like fur they protest and believe it should be banned.

December 16, 2009 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
  112. ginger ridge

I think EVERY step, no matter how small or big, taken towards a cruelty-free world, whether it's against animals, people, or the environment, is a good thing and shouldn't be criticized or scorned. Kudos to Bethany and PETA for taking their step and shedding light on this particular issue. And for all those folks who are quick to criticize them, what step have you taken lately to eradicate cruelty?

December 16, 2009 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
  113. Hacked off

It disgusts me to see those SPCA tv ads knowing there are children in the United States who go to school every morning hungry and in a lot of cases, cold. If they want to really do something for mankind, let them find an orphanage and devote their time and money to something that will really warm their hearts...providing a child a little tender, loving care. I'm not against pets....I'm against letting humans suffer because so much focus is put on animals. This nation of plenty will eventually suffer from this. For an eyeopener, read the story of the 106 backpacks in a Missouri school and how one kid would not eat his daily ration because he was saving it until the school was not in session. Why doesn't the media give expose to this side of life as much as the animal issue? nuff said!

December 16, 2009 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
  114. Disgusted Today

Ok she wont wear fur but she sure could use the consuption of some meat....pick a real issue lady, how about standing up PETA for abused children. These people kill me they will stand up for a people wearing fur but not one protest against child abuse. Again pick an issue that matters. Matter of fact I think I might wear my fur to my benefit helping hungry children, tonight and I dare....dare PETA to say something to me....

December 16, 2009 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  115. Hipocrite

pretty sure the founder of PETA takes pharmacueticals that were developed using animal testing. Guess it is only ok for animal testing if it keeps her alive. Where is the billboard for that? They have to have naked people on their adds to hide this fact I guess. What is her response for taking medication that was derived from mouse, rat, dog, and monkey testing?

December 16, 2009 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
  116. Bobo

Disgusting anorexic bimbo... please keep your clothes on. Your show is mindless enough, without us having to listen to your "new " philosophy. I'm tired of being accosted on every Manhatten street corner by the PETA nutjobs. Please get a real job and life.

I don't wear fur, but you take it too far. Seriously, no leather shoes?

Bobo the clone

December 16, 2009 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
  117. rs

"Fabulous! Another celebrity, socialite, or whatever you want to call is going FUR-FREE. I hope she can convince her friends to do the same thing. Fashion should never be cruel to animals, any animal. Those who wear fur should be ashamed that their purchase involved the death of innocent, helpless animals"

Oh yup... We should only kill and eat innocent, helpless animals.
    How hypocritical !!

December 16, 2009 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
  118. R. Ingles

I am a member of a different PETA – People Eating Tasty Animals...Where is my steak?

December 16, 2009 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
  119. anon

Not sure why we'd want to see a silicon/bone cyborg naked. Yuck. She's not even pretty!

I love my fur coat, it is super warm here in windy city. Her face looks like it was scratched out of playdoh and painted.

December 16, 2009 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
  120. TGNY

I wonder if she wears leather?

What are her shoes, purse, and belt made from?

December 16, 2009 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
  121. Thomas

Gotta love it.. This woman is a "Real Housewife"? Having 1st baby with boyfriend? Hmmmmmm.... I think just another reality TV skank that wouldn't know real life if it smacked her in the face. I give it a week before she drops some cash on a leather purse or buys her next car with leather seats.

December 16, 2009 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
  122. jimbo

Remember, the anti-fur wingnuts only care about CUTE animals. I bet most of them wear leather shoes, or belts, or have leather wallets and/or purses. "So, this baby seal walked into a club...." Ba-dum-dum.

December 16, 2009 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
  123. Frank N. Stein

Bethany Frankel nekkid! I think I just threw up in my mouth a little... I don't care if she wears fur or not, just as long as she covers up! I think maybe a Kevlar burqa might be in order.

December 16, 2009 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
  124. RH in EDH

thank you, David, I agree...

December 16, 2009 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  125. Amy

I agree, she looks like a lollipop head – EAT SOMETHING!

December 16, 2009 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • David Daniel, CNN Entertainment Senior Producer

It seems it's time for a reminder:

You can take issue with other commenters' arguments all you like, within the limits of the CNN Comment Policy. If someone slams a celeb you like, you can defend; if they like someone you hate, you can argue why the celeb should be hated.

You may not attack another poster directly. Namecalling, assumptions about their education level or sexuality or IQ or motives or anything else, anything like that will not be allowed. There's no need for it.

We can have a lively debate without getting personal.

December 16, 2009 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  126. Shaun

so when the arrogant peta people get cold i wonder what they do to stay warm?

December 16, 2009 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  127. Susan

Up here in Buffalo, NY it is currently 22 degrees and quite windy.
    I hope the ranch minx was treated humanely (as an animal that is) before it became my fur covering. I sure do love the warmth it provides in winter.

December 16, 2009 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  128. APF

So they went from Eva Mendes to this chick? Guess even PETA is on a budget these days.

December 16, 2009 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  129. jaime Greer

People Eat The Animals foundation is a simple example of how NOT to approach a cause.

December 16, 2009 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  130. AC

The billboard is obviously airbrushed, seriously if you look at it, there is no way to think that its NOT airbrushed.

December 16, 2009 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  131. Dan

what's so damn attractive about this bimbette?
    Z E R O

December 16, 2009 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  132. SJ

If media outlets would stop giving these people space, then they would just fade away. This is really a story that did not need to be told. Reality TV is out of control & really should be eliminated, it is a waste of programming. Of course there are always people who will support an idiot like this & yes that person has posted today. The people at PETA really need to get real jobs and forget all this animal cruelty crap. Animals are here to provide us with food & clothing, simple, end of story. Believe me, if they had a higher IQ they would be trying to eat us & I am sure they wouldn't be concerned about cruelty.

December 16, 2009 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  133. bobby

Would someone please explain to me why PETA can't seem to do an ad campaign that doesn't involve a naked woman? Not that I'm complaining; it just seems to me to be a little bit desperate on their part to rely on such base, prurient advertising to promote an agenda that they claim promotes an important cause. It's almost an admission that they know their idealogy comes across to 99.99% of the American public as kooksville, and the only way they can possibly get people to pay attention is to trot out a naked woman.

December 16, 2009 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  134. Federico

Debra R, That was the funniest thing I've ever heard, and very true by the way.

December 16, 2009 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  135. Robert V.

Will someone please inform this woman that the emaciated 'cougar' look is NOT attractive. This woman will have her own show??!! Can anyone say 'yuck'?

December 16, 2009 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  136. John

Don't you wish that all this "reality" dreck would just go away. WWII's "Greatest Generation" (my father's) would despair of the way everything is creeping towards the lowest common denominator.

December 16, 2009 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  137. Cindy

First of all how can you be a "Real Housewife" when you aren't married. there fore you are not a wife. I have never understood why anyone would want to wear a fur of any kind.

December 16, 2009 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  138. bobby brown

Maybe she'd have more cred in general if she got married. Having a child with her "boyfriend Jason" is so 1990's, so bohemian, so retro. Ya know?

December 16, 2009 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  139. WooHoo

Get naked in America and you get famous. This is a very low of point of any progressive society to sink itself and expect great things.

Very moronic.

December 16, 2009 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  140. Erica

Fabulous! Another celebrity, socialite, or whatever you want to call is going FUR-FREE. I hope she can convince her friends to do the same thing. Fashion should never be cruel to animals, any animal. Those who wear fur should be ashamed that their purchase involved the death of innocent, helpless animals.

December 16, 2009 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  141. mikeg

these peta people should focus their energy on real problems, like homelessness, health care and the inequalities that cause human rights abuses, and proliferate poverty throughout our country! Then we can worry about the rats being killed for coats.

December 16, 2009 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  142. Claire

Yes! Nice work Bethany! You were a tie for my favorite house wive and now...you are the fav!

Plus – so nice to see "society" folks reconizing fur is gross....(see skinned aminal comment).

Thank you!

December 16, 2009 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  143. Dan

"Real Housewife"???? If she expecting her first child with BOYFRIEND Jason, how can she be a real housewife? So this is what "REALITY" TV is about? Not even people portraying the true nature of what the show is about. I mean I have never understood the "Reality TV" title, since I always find myself on an island trying not to get voted off, or in a house of 30 + women, and I get to go on dates with them all and then choose one to be with by giving her a rose. And that is just before lunch.... These people want to be taken seriously about things, but how can you take them seriously when they try to be something they are not just to gain attention. Makes me sick.

December 16, 2009 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  144. mark in nyc

way to go, girlfriend. always a class act

December 16, 2009 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  145. C. K. Justus

She can come out and shovel the snow off my driveway and around the car and to the barn and I will bet she will be looking for the fur to put on.

December 16, 2009 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  146. sf

Are you sure that wasn't Jack Skellington in the photo? My word, get that woman some food!

December 16, 2009 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  147. Tim

I can't stand looking at her with her clothers ON...Naked...please NOOOOooo.

December 16, 2009 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  148. Debra R

yeah, those PETA people sure are brave...they have no problem harrassing an anorexic wanna be, or an old lady....but you never see them going to a biker bar where everyone wears leather...pay $$$$ to see that! So this is self serving for both PETA and Frankel...

December 16, 2009 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |