December 11th, 2009

The Duggars new addition

testing captions
testing captions

The Duggar family got an early Christmas present on Thursday when they welcomed their 19th child at the University of Arkansas for Medical Science.

Michelle and Jim Bob Duggar, the stars of the TLC reality show “18 Kids and Counting,” delivered their daughter Josie Brooklyn, weighing 1 lb., 6 oz., in an emergency C-section three months prior to her March due date.

Michelle Duggar was airlifted to the Arkansas hospital earlier this week with gallbladder issues.

“Michelle is resting comfortably and baby is stable and in the NICU for extended care. The most important thing right now is for Mom and baby Josie to get as much rest as possible.  The family is grateful for all the prayers and well wishes during their recovery,” a statement on the TLC website said.

Michelle and Jim Bob Duggar released a video statement prior to the baby's birth thanking fans for their support.

"Thank you for all the well wishes we have been receiving," Michelle said in the video taped prior to the birth. "I am feeling much better. The gallstone has kind of calmed down a little bit, [my] blood pressure is still kind of getting regulated, and the baby sounds good."

The Duggars are the parents of 18 other children and the grandparents to one.

Post by:
Filed under: television

1. Poetry

Its such as you learn my thoughts! You seem to know so much approximately this, like you wrote the e-book in it or something. I feel that you just can do with some percent to pressure the message home a bit, however other than that, this is fantastic blog. A fantastic read. I will certainly be back.

May 1, 2012 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  2. convenience

Somebody necessarily assist to make seriously posts I'd state. This is the first time I frequented your web page and so far? I amazed with the analysis you made to create this actual post amazing. Great job!

April 26, 2012 at 11:57 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Ephesus Tours

I do not even know how I finished up here, but I believed this post was great. I do not recognise who you might be but certainly you're going to a well-known blogger for those who aren't already. Cheers!

March 30, 2012 at 6:48 am | Report abuse |
  4. Gallstones yellow skin

If you're slated to get the body organ, the actual gallbladder, taken off, you should reevaluate and check out any gallstones therapy that work well at home. nOt only will you ...Gallstones

January 26, 2012 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
  5. Anete Swenson

It is certainly interesting for me to read this post. Thank you for it. I like such themes and anything that is connected to them. I definitely want to read a bit more on that blog soon.

Anete Swenson
    escort milano

February 22, 2011 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Avril Smith

Great article. Keep posting that way.

Avril Smith
    escort monterrey

January 6, 2011 at 6:12 am | Report abuse |
  7. Anete Swenson

Impressive content. Waiting for you to continue the topic.

Anete Swenson
    north west london escorts

December 3, 2010 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Kate Smith

Pretty nice site you've got here. Thanx for it. I like such topics and anything that is connected to them. I definitely want to read more soon.
    Don't you think design should be changed from time to time?

Kate Smith
    girl monaco

October 18, 2010 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  9. basel escort

Don't stop posting such stories. I like to read articles like this. BTW add more pics :)

August 31, 2010 at 10:12 am | Report abuse |
  10. co escorts

Pretty nice site you've got here. Thanx for it. I like such topics and everything connected to this matter. I would like to read more soon.

Hilary Kuree

August 17, 2010 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  11. london indian massage

It was very interesting for me to read that blog. Thanks for it. I like such topics and anything that is connected to them. I definitely want to read more on this blog soon.

Katty Swift

July 16, 2010 at 6:33 am | Report abuse |
  12. Debby Kumm

My prayers and well wishes are with the Duggard family!! No one but God Can say how many blessing will be bestowed on any family. Merry Christmas And Happy New Year to one and all.

December 16, 2009 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
  13. mdc

I agree with Amy. If they are going to appear on the Today show, then they should be made to answer the hard questions. They are using the Today show as a forum for their commercial to promote their TV show. Let Matt ask the questions. Maybe he will be more confrontational.

December 16, 2009 at 1:49 am | Report abuse |
  14. Enough Already

Of course this is a free country and people are just going to keep on having as many kids as they want to have. And the Duggars see more dollar signs with each kid they have. More TV shows, more books, more speaking engagements, more publicity tours. The logical person would say, gee, after 18 healthy kids and one (hopefully healthy) preemie, it's time to quit. Especially if the mom is getting up there in childbearing years. But they probably won't quit. I just feel sorry for Michelle's poor overworked uterus. One day it's gonna drop right out on her shoes!

December 16, 2009 at 1:46 am | Report abuse |
  15. Pauline Taaffe

Isaiah 40;11 says"He tends his flock like a sheperd:He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart;he gently leads those that have young." I will pray for this sweet little girl for health and for total healing.You are a beautiful family and Gods loving kindness shines through you.

December 16, 2009 at 1:33 am | Report abuse |
  16. Amy Smith

Why is it that no one confronts them with this LUDICRACY on the air? How can Meredith Vieira just sit there and act like this is acceptable behavior? It just condones this insanity and adds fuel to their fire. Why does NO ONE bring this up when they are face to face with them?

December 15, 2009 at 11:24 pm | Report abuse |
  17. LJA

It could be a sign that you don't need more babies! I felt 19 children is enough as you are already a grandparent and time to enjoy being grandparents! I'm mother of 2 daughters and I could have a child when I was 44 yrs old at the same time my older daughter was expecting her 2nd child at that time (mid of 2005 and early 2006). In other way I was relieved knowing not to have a child at 44 (it wasn't planned) and I chose to enjoy being grandma to my 2 grandkids (girl is 10 and boy will be 4 next month meaning if i have my child at 44, he or she wld have been 4 already!)... Thank you...

December 15, 2009 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Tricia

My ONLY child...my daughter was born in 2005 at 27 weeks and 3 days (basically I was just a little over 6 months pregnant) She weighed 1 pound 15 ounces and was 14 inches long. It was the MOST scariest time in both my husband's and my life. A baby born that early has some serious obstacles to overcome. Luckily for me- I was on bed rest in the hospital prior and received a steroid shot to help mature the babies lungs in case she was born early...which she was. We spent ONLY 54 days in the NICU which is MUCH LESS than most people who have a bay born that early. Our daughter will be 5 years old next month, and has needed intervention in regards to speech and some motor skills, but otherwise she is awesome and our little preemie is the tallest child in her pre-school class! I pray for that little baby and hope that they use this situation to help people understand the risks of pregnancy and premature births.

December 15, 2009 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  19. T

It is sad that religion is being used as a reason to have 19 children. The Bible was written many years back when populating and creating were wonderful things. Today there are just to many unwanted children in this world for any family to have 19 children based on any system. This is why our country is in the mess it's in today – people don't know when to stop! Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should!

December 15, 2009 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Darlene

Enough is enough..This baby is having problems, what about the others. They are not going to stop having kids. I say take the show off the air and let them support that brood the old fashion way. What a circus.

December 15, 2009 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Todd

chickenbutt wrote: Their children appear to be well adjusted and well educated.

Ummmm, they believe the world is about 4,000 – 6,000 years old. I don't think they are well educated. They are some of the most ignorant people I have ever seen.

December 15, 2009 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  22. drmom

This is an obvious case of addiction. Michelle must be addicted to being pregnant and enjoying all the special attention that goes along with that. It will be interesting to see how she copes with menopause, there is nothing she can do to avoid that. Thankfully, nature will put a stop to their irresponsible breeding. I have watched the show a couple of times and I can see restlessness in the eyes of the 15 to 16 year old girls. Hopefully, they will have the chance to escape and get an education and experience the world beyond Arkansas. When I watch the show with my 2 girls who are young teenagers, I use it as an opportunity to talk to them about the advantages that are available to them beyond pregnancy and motherhood. My son and 2 daughters are precious to me beyond words, but I also value my education and my career. My husband & I have been married 30 years and were married 10 years before our first child was born. I had the opportunity to earn my doctorate & to work & travel before parenthood. I want my children to have the same opportunities I did. I will continue to watch the show only to see how Michelle handles the change of life & to see what happens to the girls as they enter adulthood. It is inevitable that parents lose control over their children as they become adults, somehow I think JimBob will not give up this control very easily. It could get interesting over the next several years! It is sad about the premature baby, but they will continue to face further health problems for both mom & babies if they continue to reproduce as they get older. This has nothing to do with God, it is natural law.

December 15, 2009 at 1:13 am | Report abuse |
  23. Meaghann

My thoughts and prayers are with the Duggar family

December 14, 2009 at 8:51 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Lola

Regardless of religious beliefs and of intention, the Duggars have made their act of conceiving a child, a game. It isn't about raising your children in the best environment or to the best of your ability. With them, it's pawning off their responsibility onto their young children without any thought of the consequences. Children need a chance to be children. There is no way that she is able to provide equal attention to each of her children. The Duggars are being completely irresponsible and I'm shocked at how they have such disregard for all of their children.

Congratulations? For what? For bringing another child into this world that will suffer from neglect. Shame on you!

December 14, 2009 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
  25. dtabor

There is a difference between God's "permissive will" and His "perfect will". Yes we can make choices which have results all we want and it will be "allowed", but we were given a brain and the ability to be responsible. Just because we can do something and God allows it to happen does not mean it is in His "perfect" plan for us.

December 14, 2009 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Texas

At least Michelle and Jim Bob don't make us all pay for their children's schooling. Most parents these days foist the bills for their children's education and extracurriculars upon other people. Do we all really need to pay for bus transportation for your kids to public school, and the expensive art, music and sports programs at public school? How is that "core" to our functioning democracy? I'm sure that none of the people commenting negatively about the Duggars have been pushing these parental obligations off on others like myself. I admire parents that take all of the responsibility for raising children on themselves and don't free load like most do these days.

December 14, 2009 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Sarah

And to Becky: No, I would NOT go in the ICU and lecture my mother about the fat and salt in my father's diet, because unlike many of you, I am not a subordinate to any male and neither is my mother. They are big boys and can make their own food, and keep track of what is going in their bodies. So no, I would never make my mother feel guilty about what she "fed" him. Geez. He can feed himself. They are capable of that, you know.

December 14, 2009 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Anonymous

Conceiving that many children is not only irresponsible but utterly ridiculous and idiotic. It is these religious extremeists that drive our country into the ground by reproducing irresponsibly and spreading their so called "religious beliefs" like a wildfire. This family needs some serious rehabilitation and counseling, especially the children who will grow up in a crazy world surrounded by only the beliefs of their parents, and will never have any real thoughts or beliefs of their own. Please don't reproduce again Duggar family. This country does not need any more religious extremeists and your genes aren't that good anyways, cheers.

December 14, 2009 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Christine

Congratulations on your new baby. Disregard all the negative and be proud of the fact that ALL of those wonderful children God has blessed you with are truly a testimony to what faith can do! May the Lord watch over all of you expecially Josie Brooklyn, and know there are people who love you and all you stand for! God Bless.

December 14, 2009 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  30. mona

I think the Duggars are good people and no one should judge them. Although there are not a lot of details regarding the premature birth, the article mentioned gallbladder issues. Anyone pregnant, regardless of age or how many times pregnant can have gallbladder issues. So to blame her age and multi pregnancies for causing the early birth is unjustified. My prayers are with them.

December 14, 2009 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Al

It's a shame that the older kids are having to raise the younger kid. No life of their own. For this reason she should stop and start raising her kids.

December 14, 2009 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Kitty

I pray that this little one survives, but I ALSO PRAY that the Duggars STOP HAVING BABIES!!! Good grief...what is Michelle...a breeding machine??? She's had so many that now they're beginning to DROP OUT before they're ready!! I truly believe the Duggars keep breeding for the publicity and more $$$ from their show, which I refuse to watch! For heaven's sake...find something else to do in your spare time!!! Maybe try raising your OWN children instead of having their raise each other!!! Jim Bob will probably sneak into the hospital room and impregnate Michelle before she even goes home!! This entire lifestyle is disgusting!!! Michelle's body is wearing down and she need her tubes tied NOW!!! I think even GOD would agree!!

December 14, 2009 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Debra R

re apostaterebel: there is room for both science and God. You are calling yourself and others like you heathens.

Even if you do not believe in Jesus as a real person and consider him a myth (ala Heracles) it is still a good example of how to live your life.

You are not showing much compassion or kindness, neither to people of faith nor to your non beliving brothers and sisters.

December 14, 2009 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Connie

The tragedy of the Duggars is that they encourage others to have such large families when those other families will not, in most cases, have the same resources as the Duggers. . The only way the Duggers live so well, and are "debt-free: as one comment said, is that they recieve millions from the TV show and other ways in which they exploit their family.

December 14, 2009 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  35. sscape

The Duggars receive money from their church. This is why they ar debt free. Their older children also work with the family biz, ect.

As to the choice issue. It is her choice to have as many children as she can properly care for. It is irresponsible to have more children than you can possibly meet their needs. Their religious philosophy of having as many children as physically possible in order to receive the blessings of God and prepare more christian children to populate the world and spread their theology. Women are expected to return to the absolute rule of the men in their life. They are also not comfortable with non-caucasian members.

Cheryl Lindsey Seelhoff, former Quiverfull adherent, mother of eleven children, states the Quiverfull movement is one "in which women and children are routinely and systematically subordinated and subjugated by the men in their lives – fathers, husbands, older sons,. . .pastors, elders, leaders – as a matter of biblical principle."

Remember- this is TV. A reality show is not reality. The Duggars ARE too 'good' to be true.

December 14, 2009 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Barbara Britt

I don't know what all the hoopla is about. My sister had a baby who only weighed 2 pounds and he is now 35 and very healthy. My grandmother had 14 children and all but one lived long lives; and that wasn't that long ago. No one can fault the Duggars on how they live since they live entirely by their own means. I know lots of people with smaller families who don't. They subside on welfare, food stamps, free housing & electricity. I do have a problem with them when they are living on my tax dollars and make no effort to do anything about it.

Even though I wouldn't have that many children myself, that is their decision and who am I to force my opinions on them. I certainly hope Michelle doesn't have any more but if she does, that is her decision.

Blessings on the new baby and I hope everything is okay with her.

December 14, 2009 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Tracy

I think enough is enough they need to stop having kids!

December 14, 2009 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Diana

I watch the show and I never see Michelle paying any attention to the children unless she is breast feeding. The older girls are always cooking, cleaning and taking care of the other children. When they are out in public, Michelle is always walking hold Jim Bob's hand and the older girls are either carrying or push the babies in a stroller. I would have 20 babies too if I had live-in nannys!!!!!

December 14, 2009 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  39. christa

When I heard about that little baby I felt sorry for the baby and cannot understand how people, can do this, like a babymachine, he keeps her barefoot and pregnant, what an Idiot. He thinks this is ok. I will never watch their show and TLC should bring back other shows, not these stupid one's with a zillion children. People get older and their kids are still young. If something happened to him or his wife, what would happen to these kids. Hopefully he keeps it zipped from now on. How can his wife let him be so irresponsible towards the children.

December 14, 2009 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  40. amandak

i am the oldest of 8 children and now have a child of my own! i was in no way responsible for my younger siblings, except for the occasional babysitting and helping my mom. i had/have wonderful loving parents who were and are totally meant to have all of us! i feel blessed to have my wonderful siblings and now my son has aunts and uncles who dote over him. i feel really sorry for those who have came from a large family and feel neglected. Not all parents/families are like that. To each there own.

December 14, 2009 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  41. shan

I think you should stop having babies if your child comes out 1lb, how on earth do they think that they can care for 18 children plus 1 that will need extra time and care. Get serious people.

December 14, 2009 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
  42. Debra R

Wow look at all the foul people: comparing humans to animals "brrod mare" "puppy mills"

These people are married, faitful to each other, take care of their children, and do not make me pay for them.

All of you with suggesttions about sterilization...I wonder how many of you...are pro abortion (prochoice is the politically correct term)? If you want people to keep their hands off of you and your reproductive choices, then keep your hands off over the Duggans....at least they are taking care of their children, instead of treating them as inconveiences...

December 14, 2009 at 8:40 am | Report abuse |
  43. apostaterebel

Janet, can you please explain to us why you think that loving Jesus is so important in helping you to put others first? Why does one need to bring Jesus into that? You know, why can't you be good just for goodness sake? Is it so hard for you to believe that atheists and agnostics have the capability of putting others first? While I realize that may come as a shock to you, since at this time of year, we are to be out stealing Christmas Presents, and the Salvation Army mall Kettles (not to mention what we supposedly do to the baby Jesus), the reality is much simpler. WE do put others first. We do show compassion and kindness to others. Many of the comments from heathen unbelievers on this post have come out of genuine concern for the children. All of us hope that this baby makes it through this. Medical science, not praying to an invisible imaginary friend! Here's a suggestion: Do something tangible, such as donating to one of dozens of charities dedicated to finding cures for life threatening diseases. I guarantee that your money will go much further than your prayers!

December 14, 2009 at 5:40 am | Report abuse |
  44. Sheri

I am pro-choice, and that means that a woman has the right to choose what she wants with regards to her own body. Michelle has this right. Being pro choice doesn't mean one side or the other, it means that every woman has this right. Leave Michelle alone, it's her choice, her right, her belief, her responsibility.

December 14, 2009 at 2:53 am | Report abuse |
  45. Becky

Wow. I can't believe some of the comments left here. I can only assume that none of those who left critical, careless remarks about this family have personally gone through the agony of pre-term labor or the heartache of watching a precious infant child in peril. I have experienced those things first hand. This is no time for criticism. If your own father had a heart attack would you walk into the ICU & lecture your mother about all the fat and salt she included in his diet?
    Of course not. You'd hug your mother and pray/hope for your dad like crazy. Whether you like them/agree with them or not, these people are enduring one of the most painful and trying experiences they will ever have. Where is your compassion?

Thanks to & agreement in prayer with all those here who are lifting them up.

December 14, 2009 at 2:39 am | Report abuse |
  46. joy

you said it all patti,God Bless you and the Duggers and espically Josie,I have a neice that weighed 2 lbs at birth,by the Grace of God she is 32 today and has 3 children of her own.

December 14, 2009 at 12:52 am | Report abuse |
  47. Becky

I hope the baby does well maybe now they will call it quits on having
    anymore children and start enjoying their grandchild and there will
    be lots of them.

December 13, 2009 at 11:51 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Anonymous for obvious reasons

I am one of the youngest of a family of ten children. I can tell you that, no matter how well-intentioned these people are, when parents spread themselves that thin, kids are shortchanged. A child is supposed to feel that he/she matters to his/her parents as an individual - not just as a number in the herd.

The personal nurturing I didn't get has left me with a sort of emotional vitamin deficiency and stunted my sense of self. My older siblings also suffered from being forced into the role of surrogate parents. The Duggars seem like decent people, but they are horribly misguided.

December 13, 2009 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
  49. RLH

The sad thing is, with EVERYTHING else going on in the world today must people get so upset over a couple having their 19th child? I mean how about the children in the world who are beaten, neglected, raped, abused and killed? If people would spend their time, energy and focus on what REALLY matters instead of on a family they know nothing about then maybe the world would be a little better off.

December 13, 2009 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Enough already

Religious beliefs aside, each of us has a responsibility to live gently upon this tired planet. At this rate, if the Duggars choose to stop having babies at 20 total (or if she dies from the complications of so many pregnancies), and if each of their children has "only" ten children, and each of their children "only" has eight....

that's 1600 human beings populating the planet in three generations, or roughly sixty years.

It's beyond irresponsible environmentally. As others have said, by all means, adopt or foster the already born if you are so hell-bent on indoctrinating new lives to your beliefs.

December 13, 2009 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Janet Jones

Dearest Jim Bob and Michelle I have been praying for you and
    your new arrival She will be okay my Dad only weighted 2 lbs
    and he made a wonderful person. Just keep your eye on the
    good Lord above and things will work out. I have watched your
    show from the beginning and I think you do a great job training
    your children to Love Jesus and put others first. Oh what this
    world would be if everyone thought this way.
    Love and Prayers Janet

December 13, 2009 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  52. James Ratchford

To those who cited the Bible saying "be fruitful and multiply," it further says, "Fill the earth." The earth is long since full, which means stop- unless you are planning on moving to Alaska, I guess. there's still some room up there, and Sarah Palin is supposed to be all about the "family values" without regard to others, maybe this sort of activity should move up there.

December 13, 2009 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  53. wendy

This is not the time or place for negative comments. This baby/family need your prayers and positive thoughts. I wish them all the very best. The Duggars are good people with loving hearts and solid family values. My thoughts and prayers go out to them.

December 13, 2009 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  54. tami cutshaw, kansas

My prayers and thoughts are with the Duggar family. I love your show and praises you and your husband for your vaules. My son was born at 26 weeks weighing 1pounds 6 oz. also, He was only in the hospital for 65 days came home at 3pounds 12 oz. How he is a 9 years healthly young man. No problems with anything. I too had high blood pressure, he was my second child. First daughter was full term. Good luck and God bless..

December 13, 2009 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  55. Denise

Congratulations. I enjoy watching the Duggars. It blew me to find out that you'll had 17 kids but after watching the show I admired you'll for the family values, morals, and responsiblity that you'll instill in all of the kids. I pray that baby Josie will get stronger and health as the days go by.

December 12, 2009 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
  56. SmarterGirl

Will these guys finally stop this. Yes, centuries ago the church encouraged large families to work the land and because the mortality rate is so high. Now, anything above and beyond population replacement should be a crime. While I don't agree with China's methods, I do agree with their philosophy on population growth. The planet cannot support people doing what they are doing and now encouraging their kids to do (like their son and his wife are really mature enough to start raising kids in this society)

As the oldest of a litter of 8 kids, I can tell you, the parents don't raise the younger children, the older children do. There is no nuturing of children, there can't be. It ranks up there with the number of Santa delivering toys to all the children on Christmas eve that will be showing up soon. The media should be ashamed for encourging this. And for those people who say it is their choice.... let's assume that their children follow suit, that means the next generation is 361 "Duggers" and the generation after that is 6859. That is bigger than the population of my home town in just two generations. You really think the world can support that?

If these people really wanted to help, instead of making 19 babies, they should have made 2 babies and adopted 17 babies.

STOP MAKING THEM SOUND SO WONDERFUL. THEY ARE SELFISH AND EVIL!!!

December 12, 2009 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
  57. jan

This child will be in and out of the hospital for years. This is a new form of child abuse that the Duggars are guilty of. I am sure she was advised at 44 to stop having children. As a society we support fringe bizzare unhealthy behavior with these reality shows. These kids deserve to have a mom whose health is not wrecked by 19 multiple births. Boycott the advertisers of TLC...to advertise on such shows is irresponsible.

December 12, 2009 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Susan

I pray that the new baby is fine. And to all those with negative words. How many children this family has does not affect you. They do not take any public assistance and care for their own very well. A baby is a blessing from God, and shame on you who said this baby should never have existed. As long as they can care for children without welfare then how many children a person has is no bodies business but theirs. I agree that if you cannot financially care for a large family then you shouldn't have them. This family has such a loving relationship that is unbelievable. My prayers are with them all 100 percent.

December 12, 2009 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Bibi

I admire Jim Bob as a husband and father of his household. He does a lot more than most so-called men do these days for their family. Just look at Tiger Woods. If more men behaved the way he does, this world and country would be better for it. Michelle appears to love and care for her family so for that she should be respected. Some of you who are being rude and downright ridiculous in your comments about the number of children in the Duggar family wouldn't blink if you found out that Michelle has had several abortions. You go and on about a woman's choice and control of her own body. If you believe in choice, then respect Michelle's. And this nonsense about carbon footprint? Please get off your lofty soapbox and take a look at Africa. For every child that the Duggar has, hundreds die in Africa and other poor war torn countries on a daily basis. That is what you should be rude and downright outraged over. The Duggars are correct. Children are a blessing. I think Michelle and Jim Bob should stop having children only because I worry about her health. There is only so much a woman's body can take. I would like the Duggar children to have their mom grow old and grey. I pray and wish that God's little gift, Josie, will grow stronger every day and live a long healthy life. May God bless the Duggars. Your family makes me wish I had half the love that you have in your household, in mine.

December 12, 2009 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  60. tante jane

If the realty show would end today, would this family be able to support all these children without any assistance from church or state? I feel that this show is not showing the true picture. Getting a new home, having fun going on vacations, and having new toys for christmas is not realty.

Although my parents had 4 children, it was tough raising and supporting them.

I hope the viewers understand that this show is truly only for entertainment and should not be an example of true life.

I pray that hopefully their last daughter is going home soon healthy and happy.

December 12, 2009 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Jen

Michelle can have as many kids as she wants, she is not on any kind of government assistance and asking for help like the OCTOMOM! She and her husband own rental properties and are taking care of their kids on their own, with their own money. If she can handle the pressure , who cares? Its her life, her body and her family. They continue to be happy and the kids do help the mom out, Social Services can't do anything at all. They are gonna show up, see if the kids are mistreated, beaten or malnourished or are left alone...and neither of those things apply, so sorry haters... I love the Duggars, never have I seen a family of that size have so much respect and love for each other. ***Side Bar note, my Grandmother had 16 children, and all of them perfectly well @ birth Thank God, some people just love big families.

December 12, 2009 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
  62. Another J Baby?

I agree with "Apalled". Well said. Did the Duggars ever listen to the Lord about adoption or fostering of needy, homeless children? Perhaps they turned a deaf ear to that message from their almighty God. This type of procreation, in this day and age, is a form of gluttony. There is a film clip about Jim Bob cutting back on the lasagna at meals- Well, Jim Bob & Michelle could cut back on procreating. How many forms of birth control do we have these days??? Over 19, I'm sure.
    Also, this family is a slap in the face to men and women that are infertile or barren. For them to overpopulate the earth in their own likeness, they must think God thinks they are Chosen People or something. So non-Duggars that have faith, aren't faithful enough if they aren't blessed with children? The Duggars are no more special in God's eyes than a forgotten orphaned child- or a barren woman.
    Perhaps this birth will slow the family down, or stop them altogether. I don't wish ill on them, but Michelle & Jim Bob are pushing it now.
    I am from a Catholic family. I have five siblings (from the same two parents). My mother was one of 11 siblings, and her mother did take in two foster kids for a couple of years. Yes, large families are great, but there is no way those children are getting enough parental attention. They younger ones are being raised by their siblings.
    Also, there is impact on our earth-it's undeniable. Growth is exponential. Maybe some of her children will go away to school, and find out that in the great big real world there is such a thing as environmental science, and responsibility to our earth. Natural Resources don't last forever.
    Well, I'm not excited about this media family. To me this family is comparable to "Octomom", and I truly believe they are elitists, or they are downright crazy. They may as well change the name of Arkansas to Duggarland, because that's what it will be. Nope, I can't get excited about the new Duggar baby. Actually once they are through the forest, they will probably go for at least one more...... if it's a boy it could be..... Jesus? That's a J name. JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJust Saying.
    Yes, Michelle needs to hang her uterus up now, and enjoy the kids she and Jim Bob already "begot."

December 12, 2009 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |
  63. nurseanne34

Congrats! My prayer are with Michelle, Josie and the whole family at this time. Whether or not you like the Duggar's or their lifestyle, it is their choice and all the negative comments are truly uncalled for at this stressful time. Michelle and Josie have a hard and long recovery in front of them and need prayers and well wishes....not negative feedback! I truly admire their strong family values.

December 12, 2009 at 9:05 am | Report abuse |
  64. Over It

Think of all the diapers they have added to landfills over the years.....Good Lord

December 12, 2009 at 8:52 am | Report abuse |
  65. js

I think we have all made choices that someone else has not agreed with. When that happened what helped us? Someone telling us how aweful we were or a kind word.
    I may or may not agree with having 19 children (I honestly haven't thought about it, you can't put them back and they seem to be doing a good job at raising them)
    Having a pre-mature baby can happen to anyone, now is the time to be praying for the new life is here and stop being negitive about the things we can't change.
    I will say...if (and I am praying that it doesn't ) happened to this baby...all of a sudden the Duggarts would be an amazing family and everyone would be sad..put the kind words to good use now please.

December 12, 2009 at 8:29 am | Report abuse |
  66. Sandra

Maybe this is a message from "GOD" that it's time to STOP.

December 12, 2009 at 7:38 am | Report abuse |
  67. Ugh

Just because you CAN leave a comment doesn't mean you SHOULD leave a comment. I consider myself to be an optimist, but I continue to be constantly shocked and saddened at how ignorant and cruel the human race is.

December 12, 2009 at 4:47 am | Report abuse |
  68. Vermithrax Pejorative

How long before number 20 is announced?

December 12, 2009 at 4:28 am | Report abuse |
  69. Amanda

Those people are sick they way they exploit those kids, don't let them go to school and stuff them full of their religion- no freedom in that family! Think about it, with that many kids, how much one on one parental time does each one get? The older kids are little slaves to do her work to take care of the younger ones because she has more kids than SHE can care for & the kids get exploited and not paid for working like maids & nannies. When I see them all I can think of is some grotesque circus act; it turns my stomach. My kids have the benefit of professional teachers with advanced college degrees and experience- do those? My kids get to interact with a diverse group of kids at school- do those? It made me cry when the young wife of thier son said "looking forward to being a mommy"- the poor kid, all she looks forward to in life as, in that family, women are breeders and the puppy mill analogy someone mentioned is so true. I hope they take the kids away from them as they are sick parents. At the least, they should make them stop exploiting the kids on a TV show and dragging them around for freebies while people gawk at them. Funny how the Duggar's are oh so willing to accept free trips to stuff, isn't it? Do your kids get so many free trips, meals, visits to attractions etc.? Someone needs to tie her down and spay her before she can produce another child to neglect & exploit. Any woman who does what she does has no self respect and boy does he need to get a vasectomy! Face it, if the Duggars didn't spawn so often, would anyone know their name? Gee, what is it you call people who have sex for monitary gain?

December 12, 2009 at 4:24 am | Report abuse |
  70. Susan Umpleby

You know, it is not really that long ago that large families were the norm so all this screaming about how abnormal or even "disgusting" the Duggars are is ridiculous. While I would never want that many kids, if they want to, & can support them, then that's their business. And though I don't personally agree with all their views I do admire the way they don't try to shove those beliefs onto others.

December 12, 2009 at 4:07 am | Report abuse |
  71. Time2Stop

I’m sorry, but if you're a GRANDPARENT, it's really time to STOP having kids of your own!! What I pray for is a doctor and/or minister to sit down with these two parents/grandparents and spell out that after 19 births, it's time to stop getting pregnant. Maybe if it comes out of a minister's mouth (ie: a "man" of God [another indicator of the inherent patriarchical set-up of religion]), they'll finally say, "Hey, maybe 19 IS enough".

December 12, 2009 at 3:59 am | Report abuse |
  72. Chris Johnson

Wow,
    That is awesome. For all you out there who arent supportive or think its great, remember this; they are taking good care of thier family, they arent on welfare taking from the taxpayer, they are instilling good morals and values to thier children. Whats the problem with that? So what if they are populating the world with children, its thier choice. Who are any of you to decide they should'nt have more children? This is still a free country, right?......Chris Johnson

December 12, 2009 at 3:52 am | Report abuse |
  73. Robin

I,for one,love and admire the Duggars..I watch their shows whenever I can..I may not always agree with what they believe,but I respect those beliefs..Before we all start bashing them,and putting them down for having all those children..Take a good look at yourselves,before judging others..They have children that are well behaved,and well-adjusted..They have a sense of family values,and know where they belong..They know they are loved,and wanted..You never see or hear of their children in trouble with the law,doing drugs,or stealing..They don't shoot up schools or run in a gang...They are taught values,love,faith and charity..These are things that are so missing in our society,and has been the breakdown of our country..I envy their faith,and their discipline..Michelle and baby Josie will be in my thoughts and prayers,as well,as the rest of the family..And,I will continue to watch their show and be an avid fan......

December 12, 2009 at 3:49 am | Report abuse |
  74. get over it

You know I am sick of all of these people who think that they have the right to tell the Duggers how to live, and that their beliefs are wrong. They are responsible, debt free, loving people. Give them some credit. They're a heck of a lot better than a lot of people in our society. I am happy that they are willing to put all their faith and trust in the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Very few people are willing to do that. God has obviously provided for all their needs: why not trust him?

December 12, 2009 at 3:41 am | Report abuse |
  75. 2 kids and done

I don't agree with the comment that CPS should have been involved simply because of the number of kids or that they or anyone should be stopped from having as many kids as they want. After all who would be responsible for setting and enforcing the limit. That being said, I also think 19 is a little over the top. It is true that the older kids missed out on their childhood because they are raising the younger kids, and it is impossible for these parents to spend quality 1 on 1 time with any of the kids. And things are going to get harder with a micro-premie who will need lots of attention for more that just the time she in the hospital. I hope the Duggar's agree that their plate is now well and truley over full and that will decide that enough is enough.

December 12, 2009 at 3:38 am | Report abuse |
  76. AnneM

I think that how ever many children the Duggars have is none of my business.

However, I do have a problem with how they raise their girls. First, do all of the girls have to wear long skirts all of the time? They live in Arkansas, it's hot in the summer, can't they let any part of their legs show?

Second, do the kids get to go swimming? If not, why not? is it again because the swimming suits are not modest enough?

And third, will any of the Duggar children be allowed to go to college if they want to? Being a nurse, doctor, dentist, teacher would all be more than acceptable vocations. Or is their lack of college again due to their upbringing? I have a feeling they are more isolated than we realize.

December 12, 2009 at 3:23 am | Report abuse |
  77. ramar

Ok "amandak" so the Bible says "to be fruitful and multiply", but does it say "be fruitful and multiply 19 times or until your body cannot carry a baby to full term????"

This, as a mother, is totally disgusting. These people are stretching the limits with a human body only for one purpose "because it is "God's" will." I beg to differ. They post on their website the history of their decision to use the pill and then stopped using it after a miscarriage and reading the fine print on the package saying that it is possible to get pregnant while on the pill and miscarry. Guess what it's possible to get pregnant and miscarry when you're not on the pill. Doesn't make sense. It's only out of pure guilt that they continued to have as many children as they did. And now this little baby will have to suffer the consequences of the idiotic decisions her parents made.

And one more thing... if this so-called "God" was such an intelligent super being why be so vague about how many children one should have? And with the ability of foresight "He" would know the risks involved with having that many births especially so close to one another.
    There is nothing here to congratulate. This poor baby will have to spend the next few months outside of the womb trying to repair the damage of this early birth let alone finishing the job of growing her internal organs, circulatory system, lungs, etc.

I wish only the best for this little baby.
    And I wish that her parents turn back on the part of the brain that controls thought and reasoning otherwise they are doomed to see this happen again or worse.

December 12, 2009 at 2:54 am | Report abuse |
  78. Faye

I find nothing to admire about this. We have people starving around the world. Other countries have already faced the facts and limit the amount of children a couple can have. The good Lord gave people a brain and they are suppose to use it. Really and truly, it isn't right to have this many children. What if every couple did this ??? The results would be horrendous.

December 12, 2009 at 2:48 am | Report abuse |
  79. Brenna

I have always thought people who believed having this many children as "god's will" were delusional. I am one of the most cynical people in the world and I may not agree with all of their beliefs but I do believe they are patient, kind people who are raising their children with good values that will enable them to get through this difficult time and my heart goes out to them.

December 12, 2009 at 2:47 am | Report abuse |
  80. Jenny

I pray that this innocent baby makes it through the early delivery. I am a Christian,but I do feel that Jim Bob is not putting his wifes live in danger. The Bible does say be fruitful,but isn't 18 or 19 enough? She is no longer a young healthy woman. She has been over bred and is now suffering the consequences! I keep the Duggars in my prayers and I hope that they come to sense. When you have your older children bathing and feeding your younger children because you have way too many kids then that should be a clue to STOP reproducing. Quiverfull is not the way to go. (Google Quiverfull) the Duggars follow these standards!

December 12, 2009 at 2:41 am | Report abuse |
  81. Bean

So the baby is a premie. I don't understand why people are saying that the Duggars need to stop procreating. Some women have complications with their first child. Premies are born every day to small families. I would think its more amazing that she's had 19 kids and this is the first premie. Women are physically designed to bear children. Birth control only developed in the recent millennium . Look back at the families of the 1800's – you see them having 10+ kids all the time.

December 12, 2009 at 2:40 am | Report abuse |
  82. Brenda

These people are self-sufficient. They did not ask anyone to care for their family's debts. I'm sure they won't now. So back off the family. They can take care of themselves, and probably have better than a lot of other people.

December 12, 2009 at 2:38 am | Report abuse |
  83. canadasue

they supported themselved before the show. They have property investments and a commercial kitchen etc. where they earn their money. They educated their children and encourage them to continue their education beyond high school, the kids are happy and healthy, they volunteer in various ways, they likely have less carbon foot print than many families of 3-4 children. They are frugal in their buying and make many things from scratch. They made some decisions when building their house based on the 'green' factor. It might not be my 'style' of life but I can't crticize them.

December 12, 2009 at 2:14 am | Report abuse |
  84. breaking news

This just in.....Michelle Duggar is pregnant again.

December 12, 2009 at 2:03 am | Report abuse |
  85. ku

I love how all you people try to tell everyone else what to do this is the USA they can have as many kids as they want.
    Congratulations to The Duggars and their new little girl!

December 12, 2009 at 1:45 am | Report abuse |
  86. EJM

I hope the child gets well, but I hope this will be the last child for them. I agree this is irresponsible parenting. They say its up to the Lord, and thats great they have their Faith, but what happens if something happens to the parents? who will take care of all these children? The older children? I believe the older children shouldnt be burdened by acting as parents and they should, instead, enjoy being a child before they hit the real world. When they leave the nest, will their situation and family income also able to support that many children as well?

December 12, 2009 at 1:43 am | Report abuse |
  87. TAustin

You are a testimony to the world on God's will for his children. You have sewn and received great rewards for your obedience and allowing the Lord to live through you on His terms and not on yours. I think of your family often and even have dreams about you, I am a prayer warrior so I always pray when you come to mind and I pray harder and longer when the Lord uses a dream and I get more of a sense of urgency to pray for you. I pray in the Name of Jesus for the God that was knitting her in your womb would keep His hands on her and continue knitting her as she rests and grows. I also pray that whatever greater purpose the Lord would have in all of this would be found and shared with the world and for a wonderful miracle to be given to your family. I pray for any adjustments with your family to be handled smoothly. You have raised them well and "They will call you Blessed" Much Love and Many Blessings in Christ. Tonya

December 12, 2009 at 1:37 am | Report abuse |
  88. guest

Congratulations on the new arrival and I hope that she will overcome the odds ahead of her. I am saddened when I read the comments on here this is not the time to be rude or mean to this family, yes 19 kids is more than I chose for my family but we do not have the right to judge them for thier choices.

December 12, 2009 at 1:37 am | Report abuse |
  89. L

At what point does this stop being "God's will" and start being a blatant lack of self control?

December 12, 2009 at 1:35 am | Report abuse |
  90. apostaterebel

You know, I think it might be time for someone to tell these folks to act more responsibly. Yes, I realize that they live debt free, and they seem to be, at least on the outside, happy. However, I have to wonder how all of those children feel about the choices their parents have made. Choices, I might add, that the children had no decision or choice in. Here is a scenario to consider: What happens when one of the Duggar children meet a young man or a young lady, fall in love, and get married? What if one, or all of the Duggar young men, who, I needn't remind anyone, are considered to be, according the the twisted Fundamentalist beliefs they adhere too, the "Head of the Household", decide that they too would like a "Quiver-full" of children? (The Duggars are part of a Fundamentalist movement called "Quiver-full"). What if the young lady decides, after giving birth to 2 or 3 kids, decides that she has had enough and does not want anymore? The potential for abuse here is very real. IMHO, the Duggars completely distort and misinterpret their scriptures. While their story may be inspiring to some, other, like myself, who were once part of Evangelical Christianity, before seeing it for what it is: a morally bankrupt belief system that preys on the ignorant and uninformed. Someone needs to give this couple a serious talking to, and convince them to put a stop to this. If not, this woman will continue to bear children until she is physically unable to. My two cents worth.

December 12, 2009 at 1:35 am | Report abuse |
  91. Joanna

Although I would not choose to have this many children, I don't think it is any of my business or yours, how many the Duggers have. They are obviously a loving and close family. Those of you who are concerned about who's paying the bill, just check out that house they built and they have no debt. I think they are probably quietly wealthy. They are very frugal and seem to love each other and the kids and the kids love their brothers and sisters. I hope with all my heart that Baby Josie is healthy and that Michelle recovers soon.

December 12, 2009 at 1:32 am | Report abuse |
  92. Andrea

I hope baby and mom recover quickly.

However, I think that many people seem to judge before they understand.
    From a child welfare perspective:
    They have the funds to support the children. These kids are fed well, and taught how to provide for their future families. They have plenty of clothing and a roof over their heads.
    Where is the problem? As long as they are not asking for the publics help to look after them, why is it a big deal if they have 19 children.
    There are thousands of families that have one or two children and cannot/will not look after them.

The children ARE being taught responsibility. How to responsibly look after their children and teach good daily morals. How many of the general public gets these basic principles, kids or not? Remember the Nanny 911 show?

I say best wishes to the Dugger family and I hope that the naysayers can stop judging long enough to see the truth.

December 12, 2009 at 1:18 am | Report abuse |
  93. Chrissy

Congrats to Jim and Michelle Duggar and my thoughts and prayers are with Little Josie as she gains strength and recovers. As i was reading some of the past posts, I can't believe that there are that many haters out in this world! Number one, I myself look up to this family and hope to be just as good parents as they are. They are raising those children with great morals. I myself, do not want that many kids, 2-3 is fine with me, but that is what they want to do and as long as those kids are not in harms way, then there is nothing to sit and worry about! I love how the Duggar's are raising a great and well mannered and religious family!

December 12, 2009 at 1:16 am | Report abuse |
  94. Bonita

It time for you stop.The lord is telling you to stop now.You are to old to have all 19 kids so stop.

December 12, 2009 at 1:15 am | Report abuse |
  95. Carol

Have number 20! Have number 20! It's a good even number! Actually, go for 21! It's a lucky number!

December 12, 2009 at 1:06 am | Report abuse |
  96. kayla

It's so selfish to have that many kids when so many need homes.

December 12, 2009 at 1:04 am | Report abuse |
  97. WheelKeepsTurning

And to top everything off, their oldest child (a boy) who just recently got married w/in the past year & his wife are already expecting their first child. God knows how many they'll end up having. Maybe when Michelle's uterus bursts during yet another pregnancy, they'll get the sign to stop the baby mill.

December 12, 2009 at 1:04 am | Report abuse |
  98. Roberta

The world is extremely overpopulated so I'd like to thank the Duggars for contributing as much as possible to the problem.

December 12, 2009 at 12:26 am | Report abuse |
  99. Jess

God Bless this family, every one has the right to live life the way they want to.. I doubt everyone who has written negative things about this family is perfect either... Live your own life and let this family live theirs..

December 12, 2009 at 12:25 am | Report abuse |
  100. Catie

Congrats to the Duggars on baby #19. I'm pretty disgusted with the nasty comments that people have left on here. You have to remember – we all have our own choices and as an American, Michelle is blessed to live a country where she has the opportunity to make choices for herself. Just because the choices that she makes are not ones that you agree with or support, don't be negative about it because there are most likely people in the world who think the choices that you make are horrible. Yes, 19 children is excessive but these children are provided for and they are all happy and healthy – if that wasn't the case, then this would be a different issue completely. And surprisingly, Michelle Duggar comes no where close to setting the record for the most children. A woman in Russia in the 18th century had 69 children over a 40 year period – 16 sets of twins, 7 sets of triplets, and four sets of quads – 67 of her children survived infantcy! And this was in a period where there was no invitro or fertility drugs, no modern medicine, and women had a higher risk of dying during childbirth and this woman had 27 pregnancies leading to children...and she was just the first wife!

December 12, 2009 at 12:09 am | Report abuse |
  101. think about this

want more children? stop stop stop having more ... adopt instead.
    Think about the millions of children on this planet that need a home, think about global warming and the future for children already born.
    Stop – pls stop having children – and adopt if you want more. Be responsible global citizens instead of a child factory.

December 12, 2009 at 12:05 am | Report abuse |
  102. a fan of the show

Thank you, chickenbutt. Well said. I first heard of the Duggars when they had just 14 children, I thought how can they afford to raise all these kids, then I decided to find out more about them. They live debt free, they buy used and save the difference, they have great family values and the children are well behaved. I hope you continue to be blessed.

December 11, 2009 at 11:36 pm | Report abuse |
  103. Joyce

The love of life begins with love of the Lord. God Bless you for the courage and faith to welcome another new life.

December 11, 2009 at 11:33 pm | Report abuse |
  104. cab423

I think that the values that the duggar's show is enough for them to deserve respect and compasion not everyone has to agree or do the same so my thoughts and prayers go to all of the duggars in this trying time.

December 11, 2009 at 11:29 pm | Report abuse |
  105. Kelley

Congratulations Duggars. Now...It is so unbelieveable to me that so many "nasty" comments have been made about the Duggars and their family. Each child brought into this world is a blessing and is meaningful to someone-in this case, the baby has so many siblings and LOVING parents to appreciate her and love her unconditionally. These children live a rich life. Many children are brought into the world and not nurtured at all-here is a family doing the right thing-taking care of the kids as a group and individually (yeah, they have a lot of kids...i get it) reading the hateful and vile things said about the Duggars, make me sick. I guess my point is, the kids are healthy, happy, and thriving, their parents are obviously doing a better job than most...no matter the number.

December 11, 2009 at 11:14 pm | Report abuse |
  106. one and done

I thought that puppy mills were illegal

December 11, 2009 at 11:14 pm | Report abuse |
  107. dc

When your children start having children then you need to STOP.

December 11, 2009 at 11:01 pm | Report abuse |
  108. Gillian

The Duggars are a sweet, responsible, and loving family. It is their choice how many children they would like to have. Granted, I do not wish to have that many, nor do most people, but they aren't saying everyone needs to live like they do. And they do a better job at parenting than most people who have 1 or 2. They teach family values, service, respect, and responsibility. All their children are happy, polite, well-adjusted, well-educated and thriving, which is more than one can say for most American kids today. And for those who are criticizing her for her age, many, many women are waiting until their forties to have kids because they decide to have a career first and no-one points the finger at them.

December 11, 2009 at 10:41 pm | Report abuse |
  109. amy

let me first start out by saying that this family is not the norm and i believe that is the reason so many of you have a problem with them. THis family is completely dependent upon itself and is never requesting outside help. On the other hand people who dont have jobs and take handouts from every government source are never judged and are actually commended for seeking other options. I am proud of anyone that can take care of their family and do it as gracefully as they do. many days I could pull my hair and I only have two children. The duggars are different and different is scary sometimes, but it doesnt give anyone the right to decide whether their actions are wrong or right. Congrats on the new beautiful baby Josie, my prayers are with all of you!

December 11, 2009 at 10:38 pm | Report abuse |
  110. jeleighbean

I don't approve of having this many kids and I think this family's religious beliefs are wacky. However, blaming the mother for a premature birth isn't right. Pre-eclampsia can happen in any pregnancy at any age.

December 11, 2009 at 10:37 pm | Report abuse |
  111. Kristina

Lets give Jim Bob (give me strength for that name) some information on neutering.

December 11, 2009 at 10:31 pm | Report abuse |
  112. brad

The bible says to be fruitful and multiply. Please, the bible also says that the death penatly is required for disobeying your parents(Exo 21:17) Someone better tell my boss if i work on sunday i am supposed to be put to death (Exo 31:15) good thing the duggars didnt have sex before they were married. they would have to be burned or something(Deuteronomy 22:21-24)
    So you see, if you people are going to quote one part of the bible for your own comments. Please make sure and quote the other parts that make the whole book seem stupid.

December 11, 2009 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |
  113. Sabrina30

My prayers are with those children who are raising their siblings instead of being children themselves. In this day and age, it is almost unheard of to have that many children. It is hard on the body to have one let alone 19. God does say be fruitful and multiply but not at the risk of your help. Why would a loving husband want to do that to his wife anyway?And; alone, they use up enough resources for about six households. That is way too much. God bless them anyway.

December 11, 2009 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
  114. Steve

what's most annoying is that they believe they have some God-mandated imperative to overpopulate the world. There's nothing worse than indulgence fueled by a sense of divine will. Their poor kids.

December 11, 2009 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
  115. kris

I think the Duggers are excellent parents and are praying for them and their new daughter. I do think they should stop at 19 though for the health of Michelle! One thing I don't understand though- they say it is God's will to provide as many children as possible. What if everyone on this planet believed that? We would have been over run years ago.

December 11, 2009 at 9:55 pm | Report abuse |
  116. Mom of 5

I find it unbelievable that so many think this is necessarily due to her age or parity (# of babies). NEVER do we here this when a new mother or mother of one or two has a preemie, which is quite often. Sadly, the same people will probably never understand the value and worth found in each individual, whole or not, healthy or not. We are all made in God's image, and we all have worth beyond understanding. The Duggar's fertility is really their own business. I realize they share their life on tv, but again, the criticism is quite frightening compared to the other families that open up their lives as well.

December 11, 2009 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
  117. Debbie

What a great brood mare she is!!! Isn't the time over for people to be producing as many children as possible? Have you people never heard of "overpopulation"? Wow. The things religion will make people do...

December 11, 2009 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
  118. Sandra M.

Hi and hope you and your child will be okay and have good news that God take care of you and child. I think you have 19 children that are enough for you to have it. So you have enough for that. Sandra

December 11, 2009 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse |
  119. patti

Funny- when a woman wants an abortion, her body is her business alone, but somehow it is everybody's business if she wants to have a big family. If you support "a woman's right for choice" why not support Michelle choice to have as many children as she wants?

December 11, 2009 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
  120. Meagan Moyer

congrats! I watch your show, and you guys are such good parents especially with 18 +1! I love you guys!

December 11, 2009 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
  121. Katie

I love the Duggars. They really seem to be a couple in love but I am worried about Michelle. Lets hope this is it for babies. It is time for her to just enjoy her children and grandchild. I have not seen all the episodes lately but I did see the one where they renewed their vows. Michelle was pregnant and looked exhaused. Please no more. You do not want your children growing up without a Mother.

December 11, 2009 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
  122. RH

I love how the majority of the commenters here live perfect, judgement-free lifestyles. If the Duggars choose to have 19 children, it is THEIR choice. Don't get me crap about a "carbon footprint." Large families are not to blame for our environmental problems so get off your left-wing high horse (and I'm a registered Democrat who is also a pro-life Christian.) Look inward before you judge others, people. Living a life that is God's will is the ONLY way to live. The opinions like those stressed here are exactly why this country is amoral now. My prayers are with baby Josie and Michelle.

December 11, 2009 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jake

You are not a democrat and pro choice. That is like saying I am a black Klu Klux Klan member. The Bible was not written by God. It was written by scared,uninformed men wishing to explain the world and its happenings. Now, several thousand years later, we have a populace of equally uninformed men and women using this ancient, irrelevant book to justify their own twisted wishes. Go on believing there never were dinosaurs. Go on believing that "Adam and Eve" talked to a talking snake. Just STOP polluting the planet with your brainwashed children, and your 10th century views on how to maintain society.

July 5, 2010 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
  123. Appalled

There are plenty of families who live ethical lives, contribute to worthy causes, and live debt-free who don't feel the need to procreate every 9 months. I feel sympathy for this new baby-and the other 18-for the helplessness of their situation. The parents need to teach their children responsibility-that includes responsible family planning. Poor kids. . .

December 11, 2009 at 9:06 pm | Report abuse |
  124. e spierer

When does God think enough is enough? When you have a handicapped baby? 18 healthy children and an old mother-where is common sense here with both the mother and the father. And where is the doctor in all of this?Certainly, any responsible doctor would discourage more babies with a mother this old and with this many children. A total turnoff. I am done with this family.

December 11, 2009 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
  125. LanaC

Whether this is her 1st child or her 19th, the only thing that mattters is the baby makes a remarkable recovery and thrives to become a healthy baby. Some people are lucky to have one child, others are blessed to have many more./ Whether you agree or don't agree with this family desires to have lots of children–that is not their problem. They live debt free and are able to provide for a big family. Not everyone can say that without taking handouts. Congrats to all of them and hopefully Josie will not have any lasting issues. But again preemies are born to all ages- teens and older moms.

December 11, 2009 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  126. KP

First of all doesn't the name Jim Bob tell you just about all you need to know about these people? Who is paying for this baby?
    Oner person said others don't like them. It is not a case of like it is a case of who can respect people who follow "god's will" what a load and why should a poor baby suffer because people don't have the good sense god supposedly gave them to make good choices. How selfish can people get. Oh wait we just found out.

December 11, 2009 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse |
  127. marie

GOD BLESS. Congrats on baby 19. Hope all goes well. You and your family are in my prayers.
    Why leave negative comments, if you don't like the way they live there life, keep your comments to your self. This is a very stressful time for the family, negative comments are not necessary.
    If you don't agree with the way they have raised those wonderfully children, don't watch the show. I myself LOVE IT, never miss one...
    May GOD BLESS michelle and baby josie....

December 11, 2009 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
  128. georgyporgy

This should be a sign that they should stop having kids. The human body is not meant to carry 19 children and it is a miracle this woman has survived. It isn't "God's Will" when you decide to get pregnant around every 6-9 months after a previous birth. It's time to pack it in and be happy with what you have. It's only going to get worse from here on out.

December 11, 2009 at 8:30 pm | Report abuse |
  129. Alexis

Chickenbutt.

Very well said. Thank you.

My thoughts and prayers are the with the entire Duggar family.

December 11, 2009 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |
  130. Appalled

This family is the epitome of warped religious fundamentalism. Having 19 children is completely irresponsible and disgusting, and their lifestyle isn't one that should be glorified. I keep thinking of the millions of children throughout the world who don't have loving parents at all-if they love being parents so much, why don't they adopt a few instead of continuing to give birth? It absolutely makes me sick the way they and fundamentalist Christians like them think that this is a "blessing" and encourage this irresponsible behavior-that is ultimately detrimental to the entire planet.

December 11, 2009 at 8:05 pm | Report abuse |
  131. Dan

Well, there goes the negative population count my wife and I were contributing the world by not having kids... "by +17 and counting". Thanks.

December 11, 2009 at 7:57 pm | Report abuse |
  132. Elinor

Why are these people being admired? It is irresponsible to bring that many children into the world. You cannot possibly parent 19 children in the way that every child deserves. It is also very dangerous to the health of the mother and Mr. Duggar should stay away from his wife, or else use birth control like every other responsible adult in the world. This pregnancy has not only endangered her life but also that of this poor baby who was born way too early. She is likely to have lifelong health issues as a result. Seriously, enough is enough.

December 11, 2009 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
  133. Erin

My thoughts and prayers are with the Duggars. I think they are a great example of what true, involved and loving parents should be. While everyone is entitled to their opinion, attacking them with words is really sad and unnecessary, isn't it? Whether or not you agree with their values and choices, at least have enough decency to respect them. Especially when they're going through what must be a horribly stressful time.

December 11, 2009 at 7:44 pm | Report abuse |
  134. Chickenbutt

So let's see.....how many of you have no debt, raise your kids in a moral and God loving way, devote your time to volunteering and helping out those less fortunate? When was the last time you built an addition on a friends house just because they needed it? When did you last run a marathon for charity? Time with their children is not about the amount of time spent, but the quality of time. Their children appear to be well adjusted and well educated. We should all be so lucky to have the love that this family displays and lives everyday. My prayers are with the faily and the baby.

December 11, 2009 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
  135. beke673

Who is going to pay the hospital bill? This baby will be in the hospital for months, costing hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars. Who is paying? Even if they have insurance, there are annual and lifetime caps. Are they going to pay the rest out of pocket, or will Arkansas pick up the tab? I would be interested in knowing what kind of health care coverage they have and if the taxpayers will be footing any of the bill.

December 11, 2009 at 7:33 pm | Report abuse |
  136. Lauren

I think that there children are wonderful. I just think that enough is enough... The older children raise the younger ones. I think that the children are very isolated form the world. They don't know any differently. I wish the baby the best, but I think its safe to say that her daughters will raise this one too.

December 11, 2009 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
  137. Jan

I'm sorry, I hope baby and mother will be fine, but I do not have much respect for either parent. I was 26 when pregnant with my youngest, and it's only by the grace of God that he made it here. He (Jim Bob)needs to have a vacectomy, if he cares anything at all about his wife. She has fullfilled her "wifely duties".

December 11, 2009 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse |
  138. Aunt of a micro preemie

I pray that little Josie will survive and if she does, I pray she doesn't have any medical issues associated with being so small. The article doesn't elaborate on how being 3 months early and barely 1 pound and a half is life threatening and dangerous. The baby will likely be in the hospital for a minimum of two months. She could have brain damage, blindness, Cerebral Palsy, intestinal issues, etc. This is not a blessing to have a baby born this early. I understand it is up to each couple on how many children they want to have, but they may have pushed the human body's limits and now this baby will have to pay the price.

December 11, 2009 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
  139. rita rixhardson

im so happy for you,,and my prayers are with you and your whole family ,,GodBless

December 11, 2009 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
  140. MJWW

Having that many children is irresponsible and spreads parenting too thin among the other children in the family. Educate the ones you have and send them to college.

December 11, 2009 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
  141. Kim

I am sure we are all praying for the baby and mother's safety and health, but really, should this have happened? Reproducing that amount of times does detrimental damage to the body. Plus, what about the other children? I am sure they do their best to give their undivided attention to each child, but let's be realistic. Raising two children can be difficult at times. The older children should not be responsible for helping raise babies. They are supposed to be enjoying their childhood, and this can lead to parental resentment. It may not show up right now, but it's only a matter of time. I believe it is a very selffish act of the parents even though they are able to make a lot of money off the deal. Sure you can afford more things, but is that really what your children need right at the moment? Look at Michael Jackson's story.....everyone needs their childhood.

December 11, 2009 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
  142. Annoyed

The Duggars are disgusting. Just because you can have 19 kids doesn't mean you should. They exploit their entire family more than Jon and Kate ever did.

December 11, 2009 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
  143. Emily

At first, I was irritated when I watched this family on their show. However, they have stronger family values than most and they've lived debt-free before the show even took off. The majority of us cannot say that, with or without 19 children. It's not my cup of tea to have that many kids, but if they can handle it, let them be.

December 11, 2009 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
  144. M. Johnson

Congratulations Michelle and Jim Bob. I pray for you and Josie that all will continue to be well with your early arrival. You guys to me are the epitome' of a truly blessed family – not hypocritical at all. We as Americans should stop and take notes from your lifestyle. For one, all of you are close-knit; second, you trust in God and have never let the 'recession' affect you, third, you involve your children in almost every aspect of your lives. I commend ya'll for being able to have such structure in your lives with so many children. Love you guys!

December 11, 2009 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse |
  145. amandak

the bible says to be fruitful and multiply. enough said!

December 11, 2009 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
  146. bob

This family is incredibly environmentally irresponsible. Their carbon footprint must be enormous. They claim God as the reason they keep having kids, but the bible also says to be good stewards of the earth. Of course their family-centric selfishness keeps them from thinking about the rest of us. Reality shows encourage and enable this "me-mine-first" mentality. We should all turn the TV off and spend that time trying to help people instead.

December 11, 2009 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
  147. Wendy

This family is environmentally dangerous. With over 6.7 billion people on this planet is it really responsible to have this many children in a county that is a consumer hog. It would have been better if they had a few natural and adopted the rest. They could have still had a large family but wouldn't be causing the huge negative envrionmental impact they know have. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

December 11, 2009 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
  148. amandak

Congratulations! I hope the baby turns out to be healty. Everyone who has negative thoughts about this family, Leave them alone. It is totally their choice how many kids they want to have. And they seem to be doing a good job raising all those kids. So may God be with you and your family during this holiday season!!

December 11, 2009 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |
  149. kitty

a bitter sweet congrats . I did not like this show or ppl at 1st but they are wonderful . hang in therei have had 2 micro preemies and all are 100% normal , one is 25 one is 19

December 11, 2009 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
  150. Whatever

Wow, already? At least the baby is safe...but seriously, enough is enough, they should have NO more children and stop being in denial about the fact that at 45 + a woman should not have anymore children, and that it isn't "god's will" that they keep on having them...it is called birth control, or abstinence. It is not God that is magically giving them babies, it is their choice and their will to decide to keep having sex without any form of birth control at all. i know they are religious and all, but i just can't stand how they use religion as the excuse for their actions, it just shows a lack of responsibility on their part. anyways, congrats on baby #19, let's just please hope this will be the last, and let their children bring on "god's will" instead!

December 11, 2009 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
  151. Jane

I dont know what to say in this matter, I just think that enough is enough and sooner or later this would be the outcome. Were they not happy with 18 healthy children. I hope the 19th will fare as well. I do agree however that all those girls will be doing "God's Will" and have many children of their own when they marry. Hopefuly one will get some brains go to college and take off.

December 11, 2009 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
  152. MomOf4

PLEASE, stop having babies already.

December 11, 2009 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  153. Nancy Reichenbach

I really dig the duggars. they have unbeatable family values. i am so sad for this early delivery. i am actually the same age as michelle duggar. i do think that having childen at this delicate age is a risk that god has nothing to do with. it is biology not religious beliefs (there are hundreds of religions, but biology is something we all have that is the same) that is to blame.

December 11, 2009 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
  154. Anonymous #1

Does no one see the problem with this? Having 19 children is completely irresponsible. I can tell you already these people never thought about planned parenthood. They are more interested in the publicity than what they are doing to these poor children. Who cares about the TV show! How come child servives have not been called? If i was their neighbor, I would have called CPS after child #6, and thats already pushing it. The effect this will have on the the childrens lives will be outrageously detrimental. What is wrong with our society these days that is allowing this kind of circus show to exist?

December 11, 2009 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
  155. Liss

Yeah, congrats to them on the 19th...I guess. Lots of people have faith, it doesn't make you special. Also, not special to not believe in birth control. Definitely not anywhere remotely in the the vicinity of being 'almost as special' as the birth of Jesus is to people of the Christian faith. Really Marti?

December 11, 2009 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
  156. Meagan

Geez stop already, aren't there enough people on this planet?

December 11, 2009 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
  157. Emily

These parents are disgusting! I truly pity the lack of options these children will grow up with, especially the young women. Michelle has been bred until she was injured, just like a dog at a puppy mill. When she eventually dies from getting pregnant for a 20th, 21st, 22nd time these people will write it off as God's will, disgusting!

December 11, 2009 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  158. bfore6

She pushed it beyond unreasonable limits..i feel for the baby, but it should have never existed..Michelle's body /uterus should have closed down years ago..the baby most likely will have brain damage and other physical probelms..She's not the "brightest bulb", but I'm sure she is convincing herself that "It's Gods Will"....yeah, right..

December 11, 2009 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  159. chris

my daughter was born at 26 weeks. she was 1lb 12oz. she is a happy 21 year old. God is looking down with love at Josie and all the Duggars. my prayers.

December 11, 2009 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  160. Nikki

At 12 weeks early, baby Josie is hardly out of the woods yet. At under 2 lbs she is considered a micro-preemie, and will have a very long and trying journey in the NICU. As a preemie mother myself, my thoughts and prayers are with the Duggar family.

December 11, 2009 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  161. Leslie A. Smith

Good grief, tie the freakin' tubes already. Your genetic material isn't so special that the entire world needs to be populated with it!

December 11, 2009 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  162. TV viewer from the Midwest

I am happy that their new baby will be okay. I think Josie Brooklyn is a really pretty name!! I cannot imagine having that many kids!! I have never seen this program. by the way, it should be "baby's" birth, NOT "babies".

December 11, 2009 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  163. Marti Happel

Congratulations on your new arrival. I'm keeping all of you, especially Josie and Michelle in my prayers. With your faith in God, I hope he realizes that you are all special. In this time of Jesus Birth, may this birth be almost as special.

December 11, 2009 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |