December 10th, 2009

Husband and wife set for 'SYTYCD' finale

SYTYCD competitors group routine
SYTYCD competitors group routine

It was a double shocker as spouses Ryan and Ashleigh Di Lello were sent through to next week's "So You Think You Can Dance" finale, while another possible contender got sent home.

After the Las Vegas callbacks, I thought that Ryan had a shot, though he has fallen down in my estimation, but I wouldn't have guessed in a million years that Ashleigh would make it this far - especially after having to sit out due to an injury the night before.

I breathed a sigh of relief when Kathryn, who was in danger last week, was safe this week, while Russell deserved to go through after such a strong Bollywood performance on Tuesday night. Jakob being safe was the safest bet of all (his former partner Ashleigh is the only other dancer not to be in danger this season).

Between Ellenore and Mollee (yes, I did a double take seeing that - Ashleigh wasn't even in the bottom two), I feared that Ellenore might go home early. Instead, it was the other way around as Ellenore was told she would be in the finale ... though she seemed a bit confused on that point for a moment. Poor Mollee didn't take it well, in tears for the rest of the night. Cat Deeley was there with a hug and comforting words - and that's why she's the best reality show host in the business.

When it came down to Ryan and Legacy, however, I immediately assumed that Ryan would be going home. Once again, I was dead wrong about the Di Lellos as Legacy's journey came to an end. I definitely felt like he was more deserving of being in the finale, but it looks like Ryan's smoking hot cha-cha with Kathryn made a big difference (and his plea with the audience to save Ashleigh didn't seem to hurt).

So, despite a strong performance by Legacy in the "War of the Roses" routine - and, for what it's worth, his solo Wednesday night - two lackluster hip-hop routines sealed his fate.

So, let's hear your thoughts on this next-to-last results show. Did Ashleigh go through because of Ryan's plea, or was it more of an anti-Mollee vote? Are you shocked to see Ryan in the finale as well? Who are you rooting for next week? Share your thoughts on video, or in the comments below.

Next entry »
  1. Max

I completely agree with you. I am so sick of Ryan and his wife. My favorite dancers were gone last week, "Molee and Legacy". I'm routing for either Kathryn or Russell.

December 16, 2009 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Mary E.

As far as the Ashleigh situation, I figure that it was bound to be a lose-lose decision for the show in the eyes of the audience. Regardless of what the show decided, someone would be displeased. If she'd been ousted from the competiion right before the finale because of her injury, some viewers would find that unfair. If the judges intervened by declaring that Mollee was more worthy to stay in the competition than Ashleigh, there'd be a major outcry from Ashleigh's fans. I can't think of a "good" choice that would seem fair to everyone, so turning it over to the audience was probably the best thing to do, since the audience is making the decisions at this point of the competition anyway.

But I hope the show will rewrite some of the rules so that they'll be better prepared if this situation comes up in future.

Kathryn deserves to be in the final four (sorry, "final six"), but I feel she's getting over-praised: mainly by Adam, who was really in his rambly stream-of-consciousness mode this week. I can see why he wants to liken her to Jeanine Mason, but I can follow the comparison only so far; by mid-season, Jeanine had started to stand out from the other girls, while Kathryn didn't begin to stand out to me until Noelle left. Kathryn's a fine dancer but she'll have to step it up another few notches next week to reach Jeanine's level. In my book, for what it's worth. If she wins over Jakob or Russell, I will be ticked. Sigh . . .

Samantha Ronson has been one of the world's top DJs for the past decade? I never would have guessed. Why does she want to look like Charlie Chaplin without a mustache?

December 11, 2009 at 7:44 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Ted

It seems Ryan's plee got to the audience, though I think it a bit odd that not only is Ashleigh not better than Mollee (who had a great night, and I'm not even a fan), she didn't even dance. Don't know how the show could've dealt with it better, but it seems a little... well, unfair. Legacy going home didn't bother me - I like him, he's come a long way, all that... but as one of the two hip hoppers-out-of-their-element guys, he's not better than Russell. So that's okay. Ellenore I love, and her fiery dance with Leg was phenonmenal. Her solos aren't great, true, but she kills just about everything else. Kathryn and Jakob are the frontrunners to me in terms of skill, and Jakob should win it all. But the first rule of all these competition shows is that the person who should win never does (see DWTS this season).

December 11, 2009 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Mitch

Ashleigh should have gone home plain and simple. And Mollie ( and I am not even a fan of hers) who had the best night of the season went home over someone who couldn't dance as well as someone who had a bad night (Elenor). It is a competition people, if you can not compete or do poorly then you lose. The whole "body of work" thing is garbage. If Michael Phelps didn't swim or had an off day he would not get the medals. No one was going to say, well judging on his body of work he was just off or was hurt and couldn't swim but he should still win the gold. I do not know what Nigel is doing with the show but it is the worse season ever and I am done watching it after this year's finale.

December 11, 2009 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jen

If you watched Mollee's solos closely, she would often lose her balance when recovering from some lifting movements. While she has youthful and powerful energy, she hasn't matured enough in her ability to maintain stability.

Ellenore....why does she annoy me so? She's an accomplished technician in every routine, yet when left to her own devices in her solos, I don't see the inventiveness or range.

Ryan....see that before. Russell is a powerhouse, a joy to behold.

Ashleigh...just doesn't do it for me when unless she's doing ballroom.

Kathryn will be it. As will Jakob. They will prevail as they've the consistency and stamina seen in all natural born dancers; it's in them.

December 11, 2009 at 12:41 am | Report abuse |
  6. Susan

I agree with Robin above. It doesn't seem fair that Mollee was let go when Ashleigh couldn't even perform. What is going to happen next week if the Doctor does not feel she can perform. Having an injury such as she experienced, does not heal just because she wants to perform.

December 10, 2009 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Annie

I think at this point, all 8 are amazing and deserved to be in the finale. I didn't watch the audition part of this season, I've only watched since the top 20. Ashleigh has really been my favorite dancer, she really hasn't done poorly in a single routine. Mollee, though, has. I don't think Ashleigh only moved on because of the sympathy. Same with Ryan. Watching him cha cha in his own style, I couldn't take my eyes off the screen. I think he and Kathryn were the best of the night... so why should he have gone? I don't think either one of the DiLello's will win it all... but man, they do deserve to be in the finale.

December 10, 2009 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Robin

I am not convinced that the show is rigged. There is no way that Mollee should've gotten the boot when Ashleigh couldn't even perform. I think that they are keeping husband and wife for ratings and that ruins the show completely.

December 10, 2009 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Jeia

I wanted to see Russell make it to the finale...but if Jakob doesn't win, there is something terribly wrong...He is amazing....technique and adaptability... but Russell has grown the most...I enjoy watching him dance...

December 10, 2009 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Amber

Although I had really liked Mollee throughout the season, the fact that it looked like she expected to make the finals kind of irked me. She really did have an awesome performance show, and they should all be proud how far they made it. Legacy, though, I loved him! I didn't want him to go AT ALL. He had grown so much and had a talent that I really enjoyed.

December 10, 2009 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Terri

I was really surprised that Ashleigh wasn't out. How can that be fair when she didn't even dance? She doesn't do anything for me – she seems kind of fake. I think Mollee had a great night on Tuesday with Jakob as her partner but the previous weeks was only so-so, so I'm not that upset that she is gone rather than Ellenor.

I'm actually picked Legacy to go home. I'm glad he made the top 10 but doesn't deserve to be in the finale. He really isn't very good at other styles of dance. Alot of the choreographers put b-boy moves in their dances for him but they don't put krumping moves in Russell's dances, so at times I felt they were catering to his good abilities. I lay odds that Asheligh & Ryan will be partnered next week – wonder if they will get ballroom? Can't wait to see Jakob with Kathryn, so are my picks for final two.

December 10, 2009 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Lori

I'm heartbroken that Legacy was not sent through to next week. Legacy has grown so much and deserved to be in the finale–he's awesome! I'm routing for Kathyrn or Russell too!

December 10, 2009 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  13. genie evans

I so wanted Mollee in the finals. In the first few weeks, I was a big Ryan fan but no more. Never was an Ashleigh fan although she did grow some but not enough to be sent to the finals over Mollee.

So now I'm routing for either Kathryn or Russell. I'm going to have to see their performances on Tuesday to decide which I feel edges out the other

December 10, 2009 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |