December 10th, 2009

'Glee' finale sings

testing captions
testing captions

Say what you want about “Glee,” but the show knows what fans want.

In the season finale, we got some cheer-out-loud performances mixed in with a few it’s-about-time moments.

Who could resist Mercedes (Amber Riley) belting out “And I’m Telling You” along with Rachel (Lea Michele) singing “Don’t Rain on My Parade” like her life depended on it?

The trip to the sectionals came out exactly how I expected, with the kids of McKinley High triumphing, but their getting there was so enjoyable that I didn’t mind the lack of a twist. I especially loved the peek inside the judges room and their decision-making process which was not only hilarious, but I suspect, also pretty spot on.

Watching Jane Lynch get her comeuppance as the deliciously evil cheerleading coach Sue Sylvester was not only satisfying for her banishment (have fun at your condo in Boca while you brown up Sue!), but also for her show down with teacher Will Schuester (Matthew Morrison.)

Lynch’s character has some of the best lines on the show (“You are about to board the Sue Sylvester Express. Destination: Horror”) I was reminded as to why I love to hate Sue so much.

Thank God the wrong baby daddy/fake pregnancy plot line was resolved. And who didn’t want to see Will and Emma Pillsbury end up together? When he ran down the hall to stop her from leaving and finally kiss her I yelled “Yes!”

Some of my friends have been lamenting that the lack of any overt cliff hangers might portend that Glee is over, but with all of the buzz and the ton of cash the show is making via iTunes downloads I have no fear of that happening.

Rather, I believe the powers behind the show realize that with a long hiatus until Glee returns in April viewers needed something to tide them over and leave that warm and fuzzy feeling.

Now we can look forward to a possible appearance of Broadway star Idina Menzel who The Hollywood Reporter writes is in negotiations to guest star, the reported return on my personal favorite Kristin Chenoweth and the further machinations of Sue Sylvester.

Four months and counting….

Post by:
Filed under: Glee • television

1. Pat

Glee is the most refreshing program television has had in eons!! Hope the advertisers are rewarded for their part in airing Glee! The actors are greatly talented, and the music and choreography are absolutely engaging, uplifting, and fun!

December 17, 2009 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
  2. koko

I got chills listening to Lea Michele sing "Don't Rain on My Parade". Almost better than Barbra herself! I'm in love with the show and can't wait for its return.

December 11, 2009 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Karen

"Glee" has the right amount of edge to keep it from being too sugary. The cast is so talented and the writers are just phenomenal! I can't say enough about this show and hope that it's overall excellence continues in April!

December 11, 2009 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
  4. Livia

I love this show! Nuf said.

December 11, 2009 at 12:03 am | Report abuse |
  5. Lynda M

This show is simply one of the best on TV...every week I think it can't get any better, but it always does. The powers that be at Fox are inept to put this show on hiatus for FOUR MONTHS...when it comes back, it'll be competing with the last season of "Lost"...what a stupid idea. "American Idol" is a boring joke next to "Glee"...I'm leaving Fox off my Tivo until April...

December 10, 2009 at 11:23 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Terry

From day one I knew this show would be a HIT...especially with their first song "don't stop believing". I laughed, I cried and I yelled for joy when Will finally kissed Emma...YEAH!! FINALLY! They've always been so close but so far away thanks to his ball and chain.
    Can't wait till season 2 hits the airwaves (why do we have to wait soooooooo long :((( . The DVD should be available soon so I'll be first in line. Already own the first CD and picking up the second one next payday.
    Proud to be a GLEEK!!!

December 10, 2009 at 10:32 pm | Report abuse |
  7. wheels

this show is a positive thing for those of us who live a life on wheels, although I found the piece of that one group performing in thier chairs a litte excesive, this show is a positive thing for those of us who are disabled.

December 10, 2009 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Brian

The season finale was exactly what it should have been. I literally laughed, cried, cheered and received goose bumps. The writers of this show are incredibly talented and the same is true for the actors. Sue's (Jane Lynch) lines are incredible. The show is weird but you can't help but love it. When Lea Michelle sang her solo it was enjoyable and utterly satisfying. That was the PERFECT song for her character. It will be interesting to see where the writers decide to take the storyline next season.

I love all the characters; however, the show really is about Will and Rachael. They are they are the true protangonists. They both have an incredible passion for music, performing and the glee club. Their optimism and determination is inspiring and should be rewarded but the writers in the end.

December 10, 2009 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Sylvia Ray

I simply love, love, love Glee! I laughed, cried, cheered and applauded. I can't wait until April! It's the best show on TV and better still, it's one the whole family can watch together.

December 10, 2009 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jana DiNatale

I am from OHIO, know Lima very well, and was a band geek in High School; continued onto The Ohio State University to pursue a music performance degree. This is very enjoyable tv....so what if I'm called a Geek because I watch Glee. I LOVE IT. Very typical high school drama along with absolutely great performances. I would love for the next season be a little more lively, i.e., not so much lip sync.

All together just what this Country needs instead of the "reality tv" crazy that is driving everyone mad with the display of such rude behavior.

Keep On Going Glee!

December 10, 2009 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Shelly

Loved it!!!

December 10, 2009 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  12. MommaM

I love this show. The singing talent on the show is unbelievable – I can't wait until the next season begins!

"Great show, great story lines, great actors/actresses." – I couldn't agree more.

December 10, 2009 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
  13. VictoriaVamp

The first time I watched GLEE, I hated it.
    I gave it another shot and I now LOVE this show and cannot get enough!
    The finale was awesome and Rachel has an amazing voice. The male lead is HOT, but he really can't sing – but I love watching him anyway.

December 10, 2009 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  14. teamKurt

Inconceivable that american idol will be on instead of Glee.

I hope Brittany and Other Asian get more story when it comes back, although Brittany's little asides are like hidden jewels. And more Kurt!

Well done, Glee! Much success to all of you.

December 10, 2009 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Efrem

I was crying, laughing and cheering at last night's show! I plan on keeping the recording forever!
    Glee is definitely one of the best shows on television, don't dare try to take it off!!!

December 10, 2009 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  16. carole

Great show, great story lines, great actors/actresses.
    I knew Emma wasn't going to marry the coach a few episodes ago.
    Will and Emma have great chemistry together! Her character is sweet and pure. Also, she's a germophobic. How would that work married to the coach? Opposites attract..It is more of a "business" arrangement marriage. Glad it worked out this way. Can't wait for spring...having withdrawal symptoms now. My daughter and I watch it...then phone each other to make comments. I'm a 60's something grandma...makes you feel young again! Lea Michele is a Powerful Singer!

December 10, 2009 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Jeia

Ditto to ALL of the aforementioned comments... especially Jason's 4 best moments from last night's episode:

1) Deaf kids singing "Don't Stop Believing" 2) Judges Table 3) Sue- "maybe you'll find a haircut that doesn't make you look like a lesbian?"
    4) The Sue/Will showdown at the end.

I cheered so many times....the kiss...the firing...Finn punching mohawk boy repeatedly... I even liked when Emma reprimanded the other two team coaches!!... YES..I luv it all!! BRAVO..see everyone in April!!

December 10, 2009 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Nina

I love this show.... Wouldn't it be a real mind blower if they had a dream sequence where Sue dreams she gets stuck in an elevator with Will and just as things heat up and they are about to kiss – she wakes up screaming

Can't wait till spring!

December 10, 2009 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Catherine

I'm glad to see I was not the only one jumping up & down when Will kissed Emma, relieved when Finn found out the baby wasn't his (can you get with Rachel already & quit playin'???) and when Mercedes sang...WOW! (chills beginning to end-her voice is annointed!!). Sue is hysterical! Can't help but love to hate her!

I love this show and can't wait for Spring!! Proud to be a GLEEK!

December 10, 2009 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Jennifer

I love this show! I think it ended perfectly for now. I could not stand Will's wife! I love Sue Sylvester. She is evily awesome!! Cant wait for it to come back!

December 10, 2009 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Loren

This is an insanely delightful show. I normally cringe at musicals and HSM makes my stomach crawl, but Glee has managed to overcome all of the cliches and craft a musical soap opera that leaves its audience giddy with the various machinations of its characters. Even the less interesting characters (Will's wife) still hold potential for causing mayhem in the rest of the season. Looking forward to spring and more Glee. Keep up the great work.

December 10, 2009 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  22. ann

Watch this w/my 13 year old daughter next to me and my 22 year old daugther over the phone! What a fabulous show. When Rachel sang, I was stunned by her performance. It was JAW DROPPING Fantastic doesn't begin to describe that performance. I don't care for the song Mercedes sang, but boy she sang it well. Cannot wait for it to come back..What a show...

December 10, 2009 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Jason

4 best moments from last night's episode:

1) Deaf kids singing "Don't Stop Believing"

2) Judges Table

4) The Sue/Will showdown at the end.

well, the win and the kiss were pretty cool, but the funny moments made last night's episode.

December 10, 2009 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Robin

BEST SHOW EVER!!!! My daughter and I were partying and I never enjoyed a show like this since "Purple Rain". I do not want to wait to spring. Postpone American Idol until Spring and shoe Glee now. The cheerleading coach "Sue" deserves an "Emmy", she is the best villian on T.V.

Luv the show!!!!

December 10, 2009 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  25. lloyd ashley

GLEE Kicks Butt!!!!!!
    The BEST ensemble cast since the "original" FAME!
    I can't wait 'til April and the Songs of Season One are already on my Christmas list.
    Way to go and keep kicking tail!
    Proud to be a GLEEK!

December 10, 2009 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Marie

Last nights show was definitely the best! I am so glad Finn found out the baby isn't his and that the principal finally stood up to that witch Sue.

Did Schue really kiss Emma or was Schue still sitting in the chorus room thinking about kissing Emma?

It is refreshing to watch those kids perform and listen to them sing. Such talent! A nice change to all the stupid "reality" shows.

December 10, 2009 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Gina

OH MY GOODNESS!! This was the second best Glee!! We were off our seats cheering. The writers got this one right! I can't wait til spring!! Way to go Glee!

December 10, 2009 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Jay

There were plenty of cliffhangers written into the show... if you are a fan you know this. The most bothersome pieces of storyline are not resolved, they are just now out in the open. The character of Will's wife is the most unnecessary part of the show and hopefully this episode will begin her spiral out of the show. The manner in which the actress is being directed to portray the character just doesn't work. I would only want her character around if for only a few more choice lines from her sister. Hilarious! We need more shows like this on the air and less American Idol and So You Think You Can Dance nonsense. TV needs to put great actors, writers, singers and dancers back to work instead of putting get rich quick kids on the air. I respect the cast of Glee because they earned their fame through auditions, beating the pavement and working their tails off. Great show, great cast and great producers and writers! More please!

December 10, 2009 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Rob

This show makes you laugh, cry, and just gives you chills all over when you hear them sing! How the hell these kids are not recording artist I will never know!!
    Cory you are HOTTTTTTTTTTTT !!!!!!!!

December 10, 2009 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |