December 10th, 2009

Adam Lambert returns to ABC on 'The View'

testing captions
testing captions

In a pre-taped interview and performance, Adam Lambert finally made a return to ABC on “The View” Thursday morning, proving once again that his racy performance at the “American Music Awards” last month was a one-time deal and that he is able to act like a perfect gentleman on-camera and onstage.

Co-host Whoopi Goldberg took on the elephant in the room, that Lambert’s interview and performance on the morning show had been pre-taped a couple of days earlier because of network concern over what could happen during a live taping. Lambert shocked ABC and America with his AMA performance where he kissed his male keyboardist on the mouth and simulated oral sex with a dancer.

“ABC apparently was still concerned because of his musical performance at the American Music awards,” Whoopi said. “I think ABC is keeping it a lot more alive than anyone else.

Lambert’s appearance on “The View” came after the network cancelled his live performance on “Good Morning America,” an appearance on the late night show, “Jimmy Kimmel Live,” and a scheduled live appearance on New Years Eve.

The ladies focused mainly on whether or not Lambert’s AMA performance had indeed been too racy for children to watch.

“It doesn’t mean your kids are gonna go out on the street and start doing that to each other,” Lambert said in reference to the moment when he simulated oral sex.
Co-host Joy Behar said she thought the general reaction to Lambert’s performance was homophobic.

“Yeah. It’s because I’m a dude and everybody is like ‘OhMyGosh,” Lambert said.
Joy added that Lambert still wasn’t a nice simple Jewish boy, to which the singer laughed, “My dreidel spins the other way.”

Lambert spun the dreidel perfectly straight during his performance of his single “What do You Want From Me.” Clad in his signature all-black and a little less guy-liner than usual, Lambert sang the song chaster than a choir boy with minimal hip gyrations.

1. tony

really this is not an issue at all, people have MADE IT SEEM like it's an issue. it's okay when any other two people kiss on stage but when TWO GUYS DO? seriously, grow up america, stop trying to say it was indecent when you know damn well if your kid is over 14 years old then it's fine to watch someone kiss on TV.

December 14, 2009 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  2. noel

As for Adam, while I do not charge you of any attempt to corrupt the children's mind nor think of your act as obscene, I am disappointed in that you took this route to showcase your talent. Unfortunately, your controversial act drowned out the more important aspect of the performance, your talent. You have once hell of a voice, and I rarely sound that about anyone coming out of American Idol. But I am deeply disappointed in that you gave more effort to "shock effects" rather than presenting to the audience your wondrous vocal skills. I do not think anyone was paying attention to your voice (which I thought was a little bit flat in some areas, although your wailing was as always awesome), as most were focused on the Sodom and Gomorrah play going on. What could have been a great chance to show the world that you were more than just a product of American Idol now has become a pathetic trashy tabloid topic instead. Anyway, I can't blame you much about that either. All the others including Shakira, Lady Gaga, and even Alicia Keys and Carrie Underwood (of all people!) had sex painted all over their performance which overshadowed the musical merits of their performances. I laud you for having stood up and showing them how a man (or at least a gay man) does it in the most shocking way.

December 14, 2009 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  3. John in Hope, Arkansas

Is it just me, or does anyone else note that Adam Lambert is one of the few people in show business that looks much worse after he puts his makeup on?

Also, his sings get worse the harder he pushes it. I can't stand the sight or sound of him.

I think he pissed the Great Dick Clark off and that still is not wise to do for any entertainer. Way to go ABC for the cancellations. I watch more ABC now.

December 13, 2009 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  4. DEE

WIll not give this guy the time of day. Oh by the way I wouldn't have him as my babysitter either. He doesn't need any more limelight, enough said!

December 13, 2009 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |
  5. Roberta

To Sad in Virginia, you're correct in that Madonna sure doesn't represent the typical white, straight woman. She's anything but straight (not saying she's homosexual, she's just not straight).

I think darling Adam went a little too far with the face in the crotch but the kiss was nice. He's young and will learn how far to push. I love his voice so am willing to put up with a few faux pas while he learns.

December 12, 2009 at 12:32 am | Report abuse |
  6. Elle G.

He makes me wish:
    A) I was 20 years younger; and
    B) I was a guy

December 12, 2009 at 12:27 am | Report abuse |
  7. Sad in Virginia

Someday we're going to look back at the way homosexuals are treated and we're going to be embarrassed and appalled. Discrimination and hatred toward gays and lesbians is alive and well. Adam Lambert was performing and does not represent the average gay man. Similarly, we don't say that Brittany Spears or Madonna represents the typical white, straight woman. Rock stars from all backgrounds and race have done crazy, classless, sexual, gross things on stage for a long time. It's just more of the same, really not that shocking. Let's all move on.

December 11, 2009 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |
  8. don

I'm a gay male and I found it intriguing. Yes, female performers have been shocking us for years and yes, gay culture is part of everyday life (look at the news stories everyday) but does a talented performer like Adam Lambert really need to perform like he's a dancer at a gay night club? An artist needs to express themselves, this is what art is, but it took away from his real talent, singing. There are homophobics in America, more then there are accepting people, sorry, that's just the way it is. If Americans were accepting then gay marriage would have passed a long time ago.

I have children and you can't protect them from everyday life, again, sorry but its true. America supported a president who sent us to war. Are you protecting your children from news stories everyday about the war and conflicts of the world? No, we tell them that they are "bad" people and that they need to be stopped. Why not tell the media to stop broadcasting news stories because "it will harm my child". Lighten up America and realize that life isn't always sweet and cheery and that there are things that will not agree with everyone's views. Accept the differences we all share.

And as far as Adam is concerned; how about a little humility, just say "I'm sorry that I offended some people" and move on. It won't you make any less of a brilliant performer.

December 11, 2009 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Duane D

Let's see. Everyone is saying they're not homophobic but that Adam's actions were classless. Hypocrites. Would ANY uproar occurred had his guitarist been female? You didn't like it because it was a "gay" act and you don't want your children to see it. See what? Kissing? Male to male kissing? What do you see at the mall?. What if your child is gay (it is not a choice)? Would it still have been classless? If you're homophobic, say it. Say it proudly. Don't hide behind "codewords". Hypocrites. 58 yr old married heterosexual.

December 11, 2009 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Debra R

Garrett, you could have included Brit in your list with the other losers, but please never place Michael Jackson in this category... he belongs with Frank Sinatra, Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash and Caruso.

December 11, 2009 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  11. ms1031

Amen, Debra R, Jason and Wayne!

This isn't just amout Adam Lambert - it's about people finally speaking up to the entertainers of the world and saying "ENOUGH!' We do not live in a purely adult world. I'd like my children to remain children, while they ARE children. I don't want them looking up to people like this. If shock entertainment is truly a necessity in this world, then put these freaks out on a Shock cable station where others can choose to watch or not. And quit pointing fingers at all of the other entertainers who have done shocking things. As the saying goes, Two wrongs don't make a right. How about being a glam rocker with CLASS, Adam Lambert?

December 11, 2009 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
  12. RS1981

I'm sorry I missed that on Thursday. I love Adam, and think he's an amazing entertainer. I love the fact that he's out there, and isn't afraid to be this amazing slightly campy musician. It sucks that they had to tape it for "fear" of Adam doing a repeat, but oh well. Adam Lambert will still have a fan in both myself and my 54 yeard old mother, and my 70 something grandmother.

December 11, 2009 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
  13. garrett

george michael, madonna, prince, janet, m.j. usher, r. kelly, justin timberlake (sorry britney you just can't make this list despite kissing madonna, your career was too short and you're not talented) ... many of the most talented/popular artists of the last three decades do resort to overt sexuality be it cover art, lyrical content, dance moves, things done during live performances, music videos...i don't think lambert has a monopoly on the lack of tact or whatever you wanna call it. Controversy sells. Prince titled an album that. It's hit or miss whether that artist will end up being undone by it (like George Michael, Michael Jackson, and R Kelly) because its a symptom of a possible flaw in their character, or not (as in the cases of Madonna, Prince, JT, and Janet).

I didn't see the performance so I don't really have a reaction to it, but in principle I guess it doesn't really bother me...Idol really isn't my cup of tea. When I saw the news I just thought mainly of how up in arms people were about the like a prayer video, but people got over it, and janet's superbowl performance that everyone eventually got over. Maybe Lambert should have waited until he was a little more famous before simulating oral sex on stage. I think R. Kelly in his heyday was notorious for simulating sex on stage with female fans (people got over that, but didn't totally get over the non-music video he made–and for good reason).

people will always be pushing envelopes...and I think for the most part that is good. It made me self examine if i have a double standard when it comes to gay men versus lesbians.

December 11, 2009 at 2:23 am | Report abuse |
  14. JRC

"Ok, you're gay. We get it. You're special...just like everybody else."

Completely classless human being. But he's afforded the ultimate media-friendly 'get-out-of-jail-free' card: "You're just a homophobe!"

December 11, 2009 at 12:58 am | Report abuse |
  15. The Crypticum Keeper

I agree with the others that it's a matter of class, not homophobia. Hopefully Lambert gains some class as he grows up.

December 11, 2009 at 12:41 am | Report abuse |
  16. Lola

It was a fantastic publicity stunt on his part, whether you agree with the appropriateness or not. What was the name of the Idol winner? Chris...who?? Or anyone else from Idol for that matter? In a couple years, no one will even care about this blah blah blah banter. It's keeping him in the spotlight, and that is what every new performer needs. And frankly, we're all still reading the articles, so obviously it's working for him.

December 11, 2009 at 12:11 am | Report abuse |
  17. don hogan

so what if he is a gay male whore, lbw. If you cannot admit that britney spears is probably in a rest room somewhere in hollywood right now having sex and doing drugs, you are clearly homophobic. he may be a gay male whore, but it is his right.

December 10, 2009 at 11:39 pm | Report abuse |
  18. juanito perez

Oh, you hypocrite America. How many husbands in America are gay and how many mothers are lesbians.

If I were Lambert, I could have taken loff my clothes just for fun and entertainment. Remember the times when streaking was even part of TV specials?

Okey Lambert, do it again.Immerse America unto it.....rather constaantly hiding their true feelings and selves.

December 10, 2009 at 10:33 pm | Report abuse |
  19. HMatthews

"The View" (especially Behar) giving Lambert hi 5's? Well I'm just shocked! Has Behar ever had a real job in her entire life? Lambert has a great talent. He should just present his talent and leave the homo-hetero-mr.roboto thing out of it.

December 10, 2009 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |
  20. OJ

Shannon,
    That was my first comment. If you are concerned about your child, your child should have been sleeping. Monday was a school day, and kids should have been sleeping.

December 10, 2009 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Jan

Adam has one hell of a voice and is very talented, however; that does not excuse him from being tactful. He got as far on American Idol as he did because of the fans – some being VERY young children-who had their parents vote for them. My niece, who is 8, had her mother voting for her, too.

His fans voted him that far, he should have known that there would have been kids watching. He's a idol for crying out loud.

What he did on national television was tasteless and vulgar. ABC did right by cancelling his future appearances. He knows he did something wrong, and now he's backpeddling making appearances trying to make amends saying "it was in the moment, and he'll do different next time." Next time is now!

December 10, 2009 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
  22. d.k. o.

error...... please remove my last name

December 10, 2009 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
  23. d.k. overton

I do not care about anyone's sexuality..but common is common. One's sexuality has NOTHING to do with being a gentleman.

December 10, 2009 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse |
  24. asylum

Well I'm done with him. There is too much talent out there that can do just as well or better than Adam Lambert and they don't even get the chance. Moving on.

December 10, 2009 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
  25. WBN

And how many times does it have to be said for unthinking people!?! It wasn't after 11:00 p.m. all across the country! Besides, some things are tasteful, and some are not. Licking an armpit might not be immoral, but it's not what most would want to see on TV.

December 10, 2009 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
  26. mtreasoner

Put him with Lady Gagme and you've got twice as much disgust with zero talent!

December 10, 2009 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Tina

It was indecent for children and adults. It would have been indecent if he had shoved a female dancer's face into his crotch, too. He is not at talented as he thinks he is. I liked him on American Idol until Country Week when he totally disrespected Johnny Cash. He wants to believe that people are shocked by his homosexuality It has nothing to do with that. The more I see of him, the less I like him.

December 10, 2009 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |
  28. LBW

I hope he won't do that again. His voice is good and he can have a great career as long as he doesn't do stuff like that again. That made him come across like nothing but a gay whore. Like those men that go into public bathrooms and have sex with anything that walks. I hope he has more heart than that.

December 10, 2009 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
  29. wayne

I agree with Debra R. Public outcry had nothing to do with homophobia. It had everything to do with lack of tact. Anytime a performer with an incredible talent like Adam Lambert feels the need to use such shock and awe antics, it only makes you wonder how secure he/she is in their talent. As a gay man myself, I wasn't offended by the kiss as much as the the oral sex simulation. Over the top and purely out of order.

December 10, 2009 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Jason

I just hate that he thinks those that found his performance "too much" are homophobic. I'm gay, and thought it was indecent. I may be considered conservative, or reserved, but that's why I watch ABC- because they don't usually show gays sinking to the lowest levels of "performance art", hoping to draw enough of the "wow" factor to sell his mediocre album. For the "rock guy" on Idol, his album sure came out "Techno/Auto-Tuned/Pop Nonsense". I guess he'll play any card he can to be famous. Oh well, at least I wasn't dumb enough to waste money on his album. For someone that claims to want to keep his sexuality "as far from my career as possible", he sure makes it the focus of every interview, and uses it as an excuse for people not liking him. It couldn't have anything to do with his lack of decency, could it? People with real talent do not need to simulate oral sex on stage. They just let their natural gift sell the records for them.

December 10, 2009 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Debra R

It is not homophobia...it is called having class...Adam doesn't have any...too bad as he could have relied on talent alone....the real talents singers don't have to resort to that kind of display...quit your whining Adam.

December 10, 2009 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Joker1956

Just remember, Elvis wasn' t allowed to be shown on t.v. below the waist when he first came out! Times are changing people. Not my cup of tea but I think he's got an awesome voice.

December 10, 2009 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Shannon

Why is this even an issue? Yeah, his AMA performance was a little over the top, but there has been far worse from the likes of heterosexual performers over the years. Plus, it was after 11 p.m. when it happened, so my heterosexual question for all those complaining hetersexual parents out there is "Why the hell were your kids up after 11 watching the AMA?" Seriously!?

December 10, 2009 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |