December 4th, 2009

'Entourage' the movie?

testing captions
testing captions

“Entourage” creator Mark Wahlberg wants to bring the HBO buddy comedy to the big screen after two more seasons.

When asked about the future of the sitcom that follows movie star Vincent Chase and his entourage of friends through life in Hollywood, Wahlberg told the Hollywood Reporter that the show will continue on HBO for now, but could have a bigger future ahead.

"We'll see; there could be more," Walhberg said to the Hollywood Reporter at the premiere of his latest film, "The Lovely Bones." "But then, a movie."

“Entourage” was recently picked up by the cable network for a sixth season. HBO and CNN are owned by the same company.

The HBO original series “Sex and the City” made a big splash at the box office, pulling in $152 million in 2008.

The sequel to the film will be out in 2010. But it is questionable whether “Entourage” could see the same returns in theaters, given the show's mostly male core audience.

“’Sex’ had an enormous audience because there are so fewer movies directed at women,” explained Hollywood Reporter film editor Greg Kilday. “There have always been plenty of movies for and about guys.”

“Sex and the City,” which ran for six seasons on HBO, had also gone into syndication by the time the movie version hit theaters, so it had already reached a much wider audience beyond HBO viewers.

"'Entourage' isn’t as well-known as ‘Sex and the City’, which had already gone into syndication by the time the movie came out,” Kilday said.

Post by:
Filed under: Entourage • television

Next entry »
  1. TB

Rather than make an Entourage movie, how about making an Aquaman, Medillin, or Queens Boulevard? Why not actually make one of the fictional movies from the show? That could be an interesting tie in.

December 8, 2009 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Martin in Atlanta

To Debra R: If you don't watch the show, then why are you on here commenting?

Go watch Dr. Phil.

December 8, 2009 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Crystal

Dram-a!! Dram-a!! I absolutely watch this show for two characters: Johnny Drama and Lloyd. Kevin Dillon and Rex Lee are brilliant, and they shine even brighter now that the rest of the show has gotten boring. Adrian Grenier and Kevin Connolly are both washed up and painful to watch.

December 8, 2009 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  4. PAUL

ONE OF THE BEST WRITTEN SHOWS TO AIR!
    JERAMY PIVEN IS A GENIUS!

December 8, 2009 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  5. erik

Ugghh, really?

This TV show is really lame. I don't even know why I watch it anymore. It's like 20 minutes long, and every episode/season ends the same way. I really have nothing else to say, it's just a dumb idea.

December 8, 2009 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
  6. Jose

I don't understand most of the comments here. The show is not funny. I thought the first two seasons were okay, but the show is just plain awful now. It's not funny and most critics would say the same thing. I saw clips of three episodes this season and I don't remember laughing. I don't understand why this show gets so much love.

December 7, 2009 at 10:50 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Heather

Some words here - Drama spin-off! Drama is the only character that time and time again makes me laugh. Kevin Dillon's acting in that role is hilarious and the situations he gets himself into can only make for a good spin-off.

December 7, 2009 at 10:34 pm | Report abuse |
  8. california willie

I still like the show but the finally to this most recent season, really blew. I'm not sure if a movie is the way to go. Some of us like the laidback feeling of the Sunday night show.

December 7, 2009 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Liz

I love Entourage, I would definitely go see the movie. It really does appeal to females as well as males....Jeremy Piven and Adrien Grenier...not to leave out Jerry Ferrara ..lots of eye candy and laughs....
    "Let's hug it out, bitch!!!"

December 7, 2009 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jimmy

I agree with the poster who wishes that E gets killed in the movie. Ever since the beginning, his character has diminished what is otherwise a fantastic ensemble comedy. Over the years, I have grown increasingly frustrated by how boring he is and how unlikely in real life that an average-looking midget like him could bag the babes that he gets on the show.

December 7, 2009 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  11. tld

booorrrriiingggg!!!!! I've seen the show and it's completely pointless and a waste of time. Typical guys show – stupid guys with some T & A thrown in – I don't think guys would even watch the show if it wasn't for that. Find something better to do with your time.

December 7, 2009 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  12. John S

This past season had some weak moments (E and his psycho chick dragged on for WAY too long) but in general the show is still good and the movie would probably be awesome. For Debra R, why even comment if you don't even watch the show?

December 7, 2009 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  13. collins58

I am female and love the show. I would definitely see the movie.

December 7, 2009 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Ebby M.

I've also watched this show since the beginning. I love it!! Movie???

December 7, 2009 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Debra R

Don't even watch the TV show....

December 7, 2009 at 8:47 am | Report abuse |
  16. Carroll Gant, JR.

I have been watching Entourage since the start on HBO. The show is very popular to be on for so long besides it's a guy's show. The program and stories are fun and I like the women shown. Nice on the eyes! With a movie, I guess you can go more into who they are fully. On the TV show at times, I'm into the story wanting more that 30 minutes. There could be more Drama and Fun in a Film.

December 7, 2009 at 12:28 am | Report abuse |
  17. dave

Bring it Boys!

December 6, 2009 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Dave in Seattle

The show has already run out of gas. A movie? ... only if E and Sloan are killed-off during the opening scene.

December 6, 2009 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  19. chris

Give Entourage a few more years on tv, a little time in syndication to allow more people time to enjoy this great show, then release a movie. Its a great show and I am sure would do excellent business as a movie.

Hollywood sounds like a place where not enough people take chances but stick with the same tired formulas over and over. Glad they took a chance on the Sex and the City movie. Even happier to hear that we will some day see an Entourage movie.

December 5, 2009 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  20. andace rose

I am so there when the movie come out!!!

December 5, 2009 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
  21. David

I would definitely see it. And so would every other guy I know.

I bet it would still suck though!

December 5, 2009 at 12:57 am | Report abuse |
  22. richard

it should work perfectly as a hollywood movie..the series has become pointless and plotless...so it should fit right in with all teh hollywood crap..

December 5, 2009 at 12:30 am | Report abuse |
  23. Rob

"Entourage isnt as well known as "Sex and the City," which was already in syndication when the movie came out." Yeah, and since Spike TV picked up Entourage, it too is in syndication.

December 4, 2009 at 10:17 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Hamster

A movie based on a TV show about a movie star starring in movie while his sycophanitc leech-friends homoeroticize each other ad nauseum? Yawn...

December 4, 2009 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
  25. steve

you mean picked up for a seventh season. season six was the most recent one to air.

December 4, 2009 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
  26. aubrey

I would be so excited if Entourage became a movie! It's my favorite show on TV! And I am female...and actually know quite a few women who love this show

December 4, 2009 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |