December 2nd, 2009

Tiger: 'I regret those transgressions'

Yesterday, my colleague Douglas Hyde wrote that Tiger Woods had two basic options for dealing with the media firestorm surrounding his late-night car crash and his alleged infidelities: stonewall, or immediately reveal the worst details in order to take the steam out of the coverage.

Today, it appears the golf legend has chosen a third way: a public statement in which he repeatedly apologizes, makes veiled references to "transgressions" and "sins," and asks for privacy.  Call it the "I'm sorry, but I won't say what I'm sorry about" approach.  Here's his statement, posted on his Web site:

I have let my family down and I regret those transgressions with all of my heart. I have not been true to my values and the behavior my family deserves. I am not without faults and I am far short of perfect. I am dealing with my behavior and personal failings behind closed doors with my family. Those feelings should be shared by us alone.

Although I am a well-known person and have made my career as a professional athlete, I have been dismayed to realize the full extent of what tabloid scrutiny really means. For the last week, my family and I have been hounded to expose intimate details of our personal lives. The stories in particular that physical violence played any role in the car accident were utterly false and malicious. Elin has always done more to support our family and shown more grace than anyone could possibly expect.

But no matter how intense curiosity about public figures can be, there is an important and deep principle at stake which is the right to some simple, human measure of privacy. I realize there are some who don't share my view on that. But for me, the virtue of privacy is one that must be protected in matters that are intimate and within one's own family. Personal sins should not require press releases and problems within a family shouldn't have to mean public confessions.

Whatever regrets I have about letting my family down have been shared with and felt by us alone. I have given this a lot of reflection and thought and I believe that there is a point at which I must stick to that principle even though it's difficult.

I will strive to be a better person and the husband and father that my family deserves. For all of those who have supported me over the years, I offer my profound apology.

1. Angela

A cheater is a cheater. This issue matters because it really goes to show you can think you know whatever about a person but you really cant. Anything is possible..Tiger gave into the temptation of a young, wanna be celeb and now hes paying the price for it. Considering he cheated with a Tool Academy gf that was dumped on the show, Im thinking who is the real tool?

December 5, 2009 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Julie

Who cares? What this man does in his private life affects me not at all! Let's move on to something that matters.

December 4, 2009 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  3. liz

Like Carol said, he's just sorry that he got caught. He evidently didn't think to much about his values, morals, or his wife before while he was 'doin the dirty' with some cocktail waitress. Find a good man or try women.

December 4, 2009 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Bummed out

I loved Tiger for all kinds of reasons...he is a brilliant golfer, he has great foundations, and he endorses the values of golf and life-especially with kids (really important). Those lessons and values are honesty, integrity, discipline, and self respect. Looks like the wheels have come off the wagon and I really hope that something is learned here and that his family can weather the humiliation they must be feeling. I sure hope Tiger is doing hard time with his family! Let's leave it alone, now and let the healing begin.

December 3, 2009 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Carmen

I applaud Tiger for finally saying what needs to be said...he has a right to deal with his problems with his wife and family in private...give me a break...why are we so obsessed with people's failings?...so what if he loses endorsements...he isn't paying your bills, is he? We do not have the right to strip a person of their privacy simply because they are famous and we feel we are entitled to some form of perfection we can never have in our own lives...LEAVE HIM AND HIS FAMILY ALONE...HE DOESN'T OWE US ANYTHING.

December 3, 2009 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Michele

This is not OUR business. Just because he's a "celebrity" does not give us a RIGHT to be involved in his personal business. I think everyone who is up in arms about this situation should get a life. For those that claim that they won't patronize his endorsers...who cares...as if you made him the billionaire he is.

December 3, 2009 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Matt

Where is Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson on Tiger Woods? Why are they not demanding all of his sponsors drop him like they did for Don Imus? I feel that cheating on your wife is much more serious than calling somebody a name! Oh that's right, it's Sharpton & Jackson!!

December 3, 2009 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
  8. nenecats Houston

I am sorry that any of this has happened. I was surprised as anyone
    but this is nothing that hasn't happened to millions of families. Charles Barklley said it best when asked to comment on Tiger.
    I want him to work everything out with his family. I wish them all
    the best.

December 3, 2009 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  9. collin shea featherston

leave tiger alone to deal with his "transgressions" in his own way within his family. As for the press or anyone else who is looking for a fall, let just remind you..."let he who is without sin cast the first stone!!!!"

December 3, 2009 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Laura

I can honestly say that I will not be purchasing anything from the companies that continue to endorse Tiger. A marriage is the same as an endorsement contract. He made a decision to not uphold his marraige contract or agreement. The thought that he actually supports the products that endorse him is completely ridiculous. Obviously contracts or commitments do not mean the same to him. Other honerable sports figures should be rewarded with those contracts. If he wants to keep his life personal; then I don't want to see his picture in the stores that I shop.

December 3, 2009 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  11. tiger woods

go tiger show no fear to the press

December 3, 2009 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  12. tiger woods

let him alone he is the greatest let them be

December 3, 2009 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  13. lyn

I feel very sorry for the people who continue to question this person's motives, responses, etc. It seems very odd to me. I am wondering if you rumor mongering people have your own lives and enough respect and dignity for others to let the man and his family heal?

December 3, 2009 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  14. susan

If Tiger wants to keep intimate issues private and within his family, then he shouldn’t have gotten intimate with someone outside his family. Many many many times.

December 3, 2009 at 3:45 am | Report abuse |
  15. Jessica*

Seriously – I think that "I'm so sorry" is crap too but who cares? He didn't cheat on me so whatever. As far as that girl he may have cheated on his wife with – EW. Seriously the girl from the Tool Academy? Has anyone seen that show? What a bunch of dummies.

December 3, 2009 at 3:27 am | Report abuse |
  16. Velma

Who did he hurt, but his self and this family. It was his own tree, and he will pay for the fire higern. Who business is this anyways. Why does this make the news?

December 2, 2009 at 8:14 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Velma

The women he may have been seeing, I saw her picture. She is nothing to look at. She seems like trailor park.. too skinny and just
    wants tv attention. That type just is out to get a man for what he has.
    Who knows what to think, what is real or what is a lie..

I feel sorry for his family and his wife, in time he will be okay it's up to him to change and never get into anything like this again.

Any man without sin, let him cast the first stone. No man has ever
    walked on water, but Christ.

Tiger is not perfect.. Just leave him alone...

This is a personal time for him and his family. I feel they need to
    be left alone without others gossip.

December 2, 2009 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |
  18. carol

I'm thinking he's just sorry he got caught,. If he was so concerned about his family and his morals...why did he stray in the first place.?? '
    "Yes I can" is all they think about until they are at risk of losing...$$$$..I doubt he regrets any of it...just that he got caught.,,,,if she stay with him she will be sorry...and always wondering when it will happen again....she's a good woman...she needs a REAL man...if there is such a thing...oh yes,...my man...but she can't have HIM!!

December 2, 2009 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Debra R

OK, now can we please go back to stuff that IS our business? leave tiger alone. let the police sort out the accident.

December 2, 2009 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |