December 2nd, 2009

Sarah Jessica Parker: I didn't expect twins

testing captions
testing captions

Sarah Jessica Parker didn’t plan on getting two new babies at once.  Now that her twin daughters are here she feels blessed but regretful that she has taken on so much work outside her home.

“Nothing can really describe what it's like to have two new little girls. It’s been very different than when James arrived, since our family expanded in an untraditional way,” Parker told Glamour magazine about the arrival of her twin girls, Tabitha and Marion, who she had through a surrogate.  “We didn’t plan on having two, but were doubly blessed, and it’s been just wonderful.”

Parker said the babies, now five months old have already developed separate personalities.

“One would prefer to be held 24 hours a day, and the other is already suffering from type A issues,” Parker said. “It’s been amazing but complicated because of my current work schedule, which I have enormous regrets about.”

The actress, who is starring in the upcoming movie "Did You Hear About the Morgans?" opposite Hugh Grant, is juggling filming of the “Sex and the City”  sequel as well as several other movie projects, which she says is difficult with three young children in the house.

“It is the eternal conflict of every working woman, and I am not complaining, because I’ve done this to myself. And I have a wonderful, wonderful nanny who allows me to be a working person,” Parker said. “The great challenge for me is to be all things to all people; I want to be a great mother, and I want to feel good when I’m at work. But it is hard.”

Her strong work ethic is something she hopes to instill in the twins and her older son with husband Matthew Broderick, James Wilkie, 7. She doesn’t want her kids to grow up with a silver spoon in their mouths.

“I don’t want my children to feel they have a sense of entitlement. I want them to work hard and be challenged. That’s hard to do when you have everything you need and want, so I am working on those values all the time,” Parker said.

For fans anxious about news from the set of the much anticipated “Sex and the City” sequel Parker said it will be much more upbeat than the first film.

“The first movie had a lot of sadness in it, and it was very brave about breaking the rules of romantic comedy,” Parker said. “This one is very much the antidote for that: It’s a romp.”

The actress explained that the sequel, due in theaters in 2010 is about women’s and men’s roles in a marriage and old traditions versus new ones.

Post by:
Filed under: Celebrities

1. vanessa

i love sarah jessica parker, she is just beautiful.

December 5, 2009 at 11:54 pm | Report abuse |
  2. faye

That last comment....harsh! Maybe she had a surrogate because she couldn't conceive. I had twins as well, and yes it's hard, but you can't judge her situation when you don't know it!

December 5, 2009 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
  3. Susan

Wow. It amazes me how everyone loves to pass judgement on others, celebrity or not. We're all human and I guess entitled to our opinion but sometimes that old saying of if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all seems like a very smart idea. Sarah and Matthew are decent people with talent whom I would love to have had as parents. Their children are lucky to have them. Is anyone a perfect parent? There is no such thing. I wish them all nothing but the best and don't begrudge them anything. Hope the family has blessed times as I wish for everyone.

December 5, 2009 at 3:20 am | Report abuse |
  4. allyson

I was widowed at 26 and raised my 3 sons all by myself.....and by the grace of God and Social Security Survivor's Benefits I was able to be a stay-at-home mom to boot. My boys are all in their 30's now, never incarcerated, all have advanced college degrees from prestigious colleges [at times I worked 3 jobs] and all are blessed to be employed.
    I'm thankful everday that I was raised not to be validated by a paycheck – my family came first. I now work to support myself, but I'm grateful for the years I spent as a full-time mother...the time goes by all too quickly; I now have 5 beautiful grand-children.

December 4, 2009 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Laurie

She needs to keep her skinny butt at home taking care of the kids! OMG! Why should she even consider working with the additions to her family? Everyone's jumping on the Angelina train. Stay at home and raise your children.
    She is one of the scariest skinny women I have ever seen!
    Heaven forbid she gains 2 pounds.
    Get real and be a real mom!

December 4, 2009 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  6. staserabella

Wow, I never thought people would be so rude regarding how she was blessed with her babies. People need to think before they make comments regarding this. Think of all the people who cannot carry a child, birth their own. This is NOT something to be so insensitive about. This is a struggle for many people and children (received in any way) are a joy.

December 4, 2009 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Lisa

I think it's awful that people criticize others for having a surrogate. There are many issues that arise when a woman gets older. I know. I'm 41 years old, and I am struggling to get pregnant. Again, stop judging! It makes me sick that someone said she had a surrogate so she could keep her figure. I think she is blessed with two beautiful daughters.

December 4, 2009 at 10:05 am | Report abuse |
  8. DMX

A wealthy couple with new surrogate babies, goes out for a night. After the paid birth mother struggled to give birth, Why is this so amazing, the couple paid to have babies and SJP didnt want to gain weight, she needs to, she is so skinny.

The couple can afford a babysitter and SJP isn't sore from stitches or giving birth to twins. have fun nannies.

December 4, 2009 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
  9. Lauren D

So many comments about women working outside of the home surprise me. To CATE: Women work for more reasons other than they have to. Women also work because we WANT to. We have dreams and goals and ambitions. Yes, family should come first but what about a woman's desire to engage and interact and use her brain? I am a mother of 2 small children and I also have a third on the way. I work full time and also go to college. My husband is a great help but he also works. Yes, we work to pay our bills. But I also work because I'm smart and want to achieve success in my professional career. That is also why I go to school.

December 4, 2009 at 9:09 am | Report abuse |
  10. Kevin

Millionaires should never whine on TV or in print. Regular folks struggling to pay their bills don't want to hear about rich people whining about having to travel all over the world to exotic locations making movies, being payed untold millions while nannies back at home take care of their families. She should go home & change diapers.

December 4, 2009 at 9:02 am | Report abuse |
  11. Oberon

Embee, your comments are RIGHT ON!!! With all of the homeless children who need families out there, there is no justification for not adopting if one can't have children the good old-fashioned way. Society cannot afford to keep pampering these rich jerks who have nothing but money.

December 4, 2009 at 8:40 am | Report abuse |
  12. Lori Thomas

I am shocked about all the comments on her being an awesome mother. First of all, she doesn't take care of her children. She has an awesome nanny that allows her to work so she feels good about her career. And, she doesn't want her children to feel "entitled". Why did she have children? I think she would place them on a shelf like pretty little decorations if she could.

December 4, 2009 at 7:52 am | Report abuse |
  13. Tom

Embee, Embee, Embee! Be nice! That's a very harsh comment you made. How you feel about yourself is how you perceive other people.

December 4, 2009 at 7:43 am | Report abuse |
  14. whats with the haters

I'm not a SATC fan or a SJP fan, but wow, what's with the haters? The only thing I noticed is that SJP talked a lot about herself and what she's trying to do as a parent. She could have talked a little more about the overall impact on the family, like what Matthew is doing to adjust and how their son is handling having two new sisters. The article makes her sound very self-centered.

December 4, 2009 at 3:46 am | Report abuse |
  15. redz

She supposedly had problems getting pregnant with her son and this time used a surrogate. I can't believe the haters who comment on the way they had their daughters. For those of us who suffer from fertility issues thank God there are other options open to us.

December 4, 2009 at 2:17 am | Report abuse |
  16. Courtney

To Jeana and Sharon Hughes: perfectly said.

December 4, 2009 at 1:49 am | Report abuse |
  17. kmp

Wow embee how do you know that she didn't suffer from infertility problems. Your comment was quite heartless

December 4, 2009 at 1:08 am | Report abuse |
  18. cjs

I love Sarah Jessica Parker and all the ladies of Sex and the City. Motherhood is hard. You can be a stay at home Mom and still be a bad MOM and raise unhappy children. Unless you have walked a mile in any mothers shoes, don't judge..

December 4, 2009 at 12:57 am | Report abuse |
  19. Athenaeus

It's an interesting debate.

Obviously, we don't know what what's in her gynecological history/file that might make conception/pregnancy difficult/dangerous/impossible.

It is interesting to me though that a number of high-profile actresses do seem to have fertility problems that seem to require surrogacy to resolve or where nothing they do seems to lead to pregnancy.

I don't intend that as a criticism either... more as a chicken/egg question and/or possible social trend to watch for:

High-Powered/Beautiful/Successful Women outsourcing the stretch-mark producing and waist / hip / fat expanding process and side effects of pregnancy.

Though I wouldn't throw Sarah into that category or under the bus it's not a completely outlandish supposition given how beauty, youth, and fitness oriented our culture has become.

December 4, 2009 at 12:55 am | Report abuse |
  20. Kim

Sharon thank you for the comment about alternative family building. I assure you that as an adoptive mother preserving my figure did not factor in my decision to adopt. Children are blessings and as I tell my son everyday - You were born into and through my heart.

December 4, 2009 at 12:52 am | Report abuse |
  21. AnneKim

I think SJP is adorable – Carrie was my favorite character because Sarah Jessica is such a great actress. I love when she raises one eyebrow – wish I could do that. Have a great time raising your new little girls and your boy, Sarah!

December 3, 2009 at 11:58 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Del Williams

It seems some of your commenters seem to know why SJP chose a surrogate, must be nice to know what's going on in their body. They need to get a life of their own. As for working and little kids, of course it is tough. Every true mother has that conflict, and will until the kids are out of the house. I am glad that she is a well rounded person, and wont have to use her kids to live through.

December 3, 2009 at 11:33 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Mindy

Actually, like me, SJP had trouble conceiving. That is why she didn't carry the twins. It had nothing to do with vanity, embee.

December 3, 2009 at 10:48 pm | Report abuse |
  24. lin

Parker must have known there would be huge scheduling conflicts, with a movie career, and three kids under age seven.
    Now she's telling the world how much it sucks....
    Julia Roberts has three small kids, including twins, and I don't hear her complaining, she's upbeat and positive, even funny, and she also had a rare blood disorder to deal with.
    Parker had better learn to be flexible, and fast.

December 3, 2009 at 10:32 pm | Report abuse |
  25. LIgirl

I dont think she could have any more babies so its not her figure. but knowing for 9 months you were having another child taking on so many projects is being selfish. She doesnt need the money so maybe one film a year would have been the better. I believe Reese Witherspoon does only 1 film a year to be with her kids. Sarah get your priorities straight.

December 3, 2009 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Merlin

Hello people!! She is NOT raising her kids, the nannies are!!! Like so many kids in NYC where mothers who don't even work can't find the time in their busy schedules to take their own kids to doctors appointments. This is so freaking typical. And so pointless in her case...do we really need another lame movie with her??? Will she keep the Sex thing going on until she looks even worse than she does now?? And you think she is a role model? Scary thought.

December 3, 2009 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Homey

I have twin girls, 8 month olds, a three year old and a ten year old. We do it with-out nannies, and my wife still runs a business. What's the big deal. I also Teach. Everyone make sacrifices, why is this news?

December 3, 2009 at 8:09 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Kim

You go you working mommy!! Working women are wonderful, independent & teach their children to be the same. Shame on all of you who think otherwise!

December 3, 2009 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse |
  29. rosie

someone said she should quit her job and someone else said they are not a fan of working mothers....are you in the dark ages??? Some mothers HAVE to work and some mothers choose to work. That's their right to do so....happy parents have happy kids and those that make their situation work for them have well adjusted kids. I certainly hope your life circumstances don't change and force you to be a working mother??!! Will you not be a fan of yourself???

December 3, 2009 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Nina

I am pretty sure not many people will read my comment but I am also very hurt by embee's comment. I have experienced two pregnancy losses and have also looked into surrogacy or adoption so I agree with the other girls that this was probably not a decision based on SJP's figure.

There is nothing more that a woman wants than to carry her own baby and have the possibility of breast feeding them which forms such a huge bond between mother and baby.

I am not a huge fan of SJP but think that it is admirable that women want to continue working very hard to set an example for their children. Obviously their kids will ALWAYS be more privileged than most, but hopefully they won't become horrible brats (like Paris Hilton) that become famous just for being famous and having tons of money.

December 3, 2009 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Ciiku

SJP!! Sister-Pleaaasee!
    Maybe it's because she didn't carry the babies, she didn't consider laying-off work alittle. This is the time she should be bonding with the girls but instead she's busy with work... even though she clearly doesn't have to work. This just goes to prove that the only reason, she had a surrogate carry her babies, is so that she doesn't ruin her figure for work purposes. Did she really even think expanding the family through? Poor twins, they didn't sign-p for this... and now instead of thier mom raising them, a nanny is raising them.
    Sure SJP we feel bad for you.... Feel bad because you have your priorities all mangled up!

December 3, 2009 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Sharon Hughes

Wow, DENN0042 – we all know kids before work??? It's people like you that want to keep women barefoot and in the kitchen! A woman who has children has every right to work if she wants to as long as she is rearing her children well – women can balance work and their children and relationships, but it is a struggle. Women should not have to lose themselves to have a family, and shouldn't be judged for it. Bravo for women who stay home, and do just the child rearing, but bravo for women who also do that, and keep their dreams alive by working as well. Not everyone can do this and do it well, but many do and hats off to them. After all, it is a personal choice, not one others have a right to judge.

December 3, 2009 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Mindy

Just because SJP is an actress does not mean she does not struggle with the same things a mother working Monday through Friday 9-5 wouldn't struggle with. Yes her pockets are probably deeper and she can probably afford things the "average" mother could not, but seriously, is that a reason to give your rude and irrelevant opinion on her looks? Your mean comments say more about you than they do about SJP!

December 3, 2009 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Megz

Women, like men, should have the option to choose whether or not to work outside of the home. Just because a mother works, does not mean she doesn't love her children. It is not the quantity of time spent with children as much as the quality of time spent with them. It is no longer the 1950s, where the perfect mother stayed at home to rear the children and make sure the husband was well-looked after. While many women wish they could stay home, their economic situation forces them to go to work. For other women, like myself, working is a way to give back to society. SJP wouldn't have a job if so many people didn't want to see her movies. She is doing what she is contracted to do and what she obviously loves doing.

December 3, 2009 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |
  35. liz

Probably none of my business but curious about why having children by a surrogate? Is she or her husband infertile? I like both of them and am hoping they didn't take the surrogate option for convenience.

December 3, 2009 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Vinnie Bartilucci

My wife and I are pretty much responsible for Sarah and Matthew having kids. Walking in the financial district one Sunday with our daughter, she went toddling over to this couple walking a dog large enough for either of them to have ridden, both because it was so large and they were not all that tall. Upon getting closer we realised it was Mr Broderick and Ms. Parker. Far from leery of our kid's advances, Sarah pointed and cooed "Ooo, honey, look!" as she went to pet the behemoth. We scooped her up and let them go on their way, not even bothering them for a shake of a hand or anything. They had the first kid under a year later.

Obviously the sight of our glorious child stirred the parental instincts in the pair. You're welcome.

December 3, 2009 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Goof Ball

JC, I was thinking the same thing. Does anyone use spell check ever???

December 3, 2009 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Sandra

For all of the posters that crack about her looks- I guess all of you are just walking monuments to all that is beautiful in the world- YEAH RIGHT!

For the posters that are just JEALOUS because she can afford a nanny, I say horray for sjp, because if I had the money I would have one too, along with a live in maid and cook.

For the rest of ya'll ( the ones with the good common sense) keep sticking it to the haters.

December 3, 2009 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  39. kate

wow, "embee," "dmj" and others – you should try to figure out why you're so rude. Before you judge someone else's face you should take a look in the mirror. It must feel awful to wake up in the morning and feel so unhappy - I feel bad for you. It seems like you need to get a life and give other people credit for trying to live theirs in the right way.

December 3, 2009 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Shocked

Good god – I can now see what is wrong with society today. Anyone who thinks she is unattractive is warped. Obviously you can't be unattractive in show business. Just because she kept her NATURAL, GOD GIVEN looks and didn't reduce her nose and every other part like the other clones in Hollywood. The standard for beauty is scary. Who would have thought big plastic things stuck in a persons chest and the same Barbie doll nose would be the norm of attractiveness?????!!!!. I like her even more now for NOT giving into those FAKE standards.

December 3, 2009 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Mom of 3 - Ohio

SJP had fertility issues, plus being 40, making pregnancy difficult, thus the surrogacy route for her. I had twins myself at 39 (without surrogacy or fertility issues), plus I have a toddler and I just turned 40 a few days ago. I am also a working mother. It is not easy. Maybe having money helps, but you still miss your children. I think the word NANNY bothers many of you. We have family members caring for our kids while we work full-time. Would you rather that we quit working and stayed home and lived on government assistance? I didn't think so. Money gives you different options. It does not eliminate the love you have for your children or make it any greater. I don't know why you make such a fuss with the surrogate route. Many people are parents to children they did not give birth to, but they are no less parents to them. Some adopt, others foster, some go through in-vitro to conceive, whether to be carried in their own wombs or in the surrogates. Some of you are just plain jealous. Others are mean. Motherhood is terrific, but if you do it well, it is work and a lot of joy. I would love to take a couple of years off, but it is not possible. We don't have a lot of luxuries in our home, but our children have a lot of love.

December 3, 2009 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
  42. cate

I will never understand why women have children and then choose to work outside the home when they don't have to. Childhood is very short, if you blink, you will miss it. Parents need to put their families ahead of work.
    Oh, and 'embee' the hardest part is not carrying a child through pregnancy, it is raising that child for the next eighteen years and beyond.

December 3, 2009 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
  43. rv

Um...she didn't give birth to them DMJ, get ur facts straight

December 3, 2009 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  44. kr

silly trolls say terrible things to excite responses from people to entertain themselves on the internet. it is virtually impossible for someone with enough intelligence to use a computer to not know some women have trouble conceiving even after they were once successful. if such ignorance truly exists, it is beyond pitiful.

December 3, 2009 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Jessie

I had to have a hysterectomy at an early age so I understand that women sometimes have to seek other options to create their family. I did not choose to have the procedure, it wasn't because I am a supermodel and worry about my figure. It wasn't because I was lazy or self-centered. It wasn't because I was unwilling to have children. Life, fate, nature, whatever you want to call it made the decision for me that I would not ever carry my own children. Are you going to judge me too?

December 3, 2009 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  46. don't be bitter - get bitten

I'd like to throw in my support for SJP and her choices – I think she's a delight and a wonderful role model for modern women and modern relationships. Men have balanced being parents and having careers without persecution for as long as any of us have been alive, so it's funny that she's getting so much slack and negativity. She seems to be handling her life well. I guess she's not "in her place" as much as some of you would like, how uppity of her.

December 3, 2009 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Wimpy

Parker is very blessed to have been given the choice to have twins by a surrogate. I wish all working or non working women were able to received assistance in child care. Many of us rely on family, friends and church members when we need advise or child care. I wish them all the best.

December 3, 2009 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Mom Of Twins

Here being rich or poor, shouldn't be the deciding factor from some folks on if she's a good mother. Being able to provide for them does make life a little easier. I'm sure like most mother's, she too will worry about their health and development. The most important thing is to remember to thank your creator, for such a wonderful DOUBLE blessing.

December 3, 2009 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  49. valerie stevens

Oh wow, and we wonder why life is so hard. The woman has been working hard since her teens, and earned all that she has. I cant believe there are people as shallow to write posts as the last one. What if she is not healthy enough to carry a baby? or too old to concieve? God knows what they had to deal with to produce those two girls, and all you can say is her face is not pretty enough? wow.

December 3, 2009 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Mrspatrickdempsey

i think people should mind their own buisness and leave celebs. alone...

December 3, 2009 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  51. annie

embee, shame on you. SJP has talked about her fertility issues and I can tell you from first hand experience that people with those issues would love nothing more in this world than to be able to carry their own babies like everybody else. Your lack of understanding and compassion hurt all women that have gone through the extremely painful rollercoaster of infertility.
    And, Liz, mothers always struggle to balance their lives, no matter how much money they have. So, how about, for once, women stop being so quick to gang up on other women. How about we show other women understanding and support and respect for the difficult choices we have to make while trying to fullfil the different aspects of our rich personalities?

December 3, 2009 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  52. dmj

Surprised? Sure, it is very rare for horses to give birth to twins

December 3, 2009 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  53. PatG

She knew one baby was coming along when she signed up for all the work. So, give me a break.

December 3, 2009 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  54. yourecrazy

dude, she gave birth to her first child. Don't be so judgemental.

December 3, 2009 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Aidan

embee should be ashamed. while carrying a child to term is certainly difficult, it is no way the "hardest" part of being a parent. who knows what sort of fertility issues can make a surrogate necessary? do you think every woman who can't physically carry a child to term but wants to be a mother is just trying to get out of the hard part? get real. pregnancy is difficult, but who would say it's harder than actually raising children?

December 3, 2009 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Scooter64

Everyone has issues and celebrities are no different than regular folks in that respect. It's a shame other commentors are so cynical, self absorbed and clouded by their own jealous feelings of SJP. Take a look in the mirror at yourself before you make such immature comments. Until you've walked in her shoes, you, I or anyone else for that matter have no idea or the right to judge the choices SJP makes. Grow up people, put down your tabloids and give her a break.

December 3, 2009 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Denno42

For those who give her kudos...why? What has she done for them? She had a surrogate carry them for 9 months and give birth to them. She is off doing her career (sorry working moms, but you all know that kids before job) and she is trying to teach them to be responsible, ok that's all fine and good but if you're out shooting multiple movies when do you do that? When they're sleeping? Or does she have the nannies do it....what a wonderful "mom".

December 3, 2009 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Lily

Embee- I believe they used a surrogate because she was unable to carry another pregnancy. Please grow up.

December 3, 2009 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Victoria

I think it is pathetic for her to compare herself to other working mother who juggle children and a hectic work schedule. Most "other" mothers have to work to make ends meet. Those that choose to work generally do not pile so much on their plate that they need a nanny 24/7. With her money she should take on chosen projects and be thankful she can spend more time with her children. And she does not want them to feel entitled, but she says in the article they have everything they want or need. Give me a break.

December 3, 2009 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Christina S

I think she probably makes enough money to stay home if she really wanted to... Jodi Foster does 1 movie every other year I think it is – so she can stay current and relavent in her career but actually be a mother to her children... maybe SJP could try that.

December 3, 2009 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Jeana

This comment goes DIRECTLY to embee and Liz Gonda: First (embee)–Did it occur to you that maybe SJP had a surrogate carry her daugters because she might possibly be prevented from doing so due to a medical reason, or because she was over the age of 40? It's not like she hasn't carried a child already...and so what if she never did? Unfortunately being able to carry a baby doesn't automatically make a woman a good or decent mother. Second (Liz Gonda): Get over yourself. She didn't complain once about having it rough. Her point–that you missed by a mile–was that working full time to support herself and her family, meant that she missed a lot of her children's day-to-day activities; the same 'complaint' that tens of thousands of working mothers (and dads) have. Just because a person is wealthy, doesn't mean they don't have the right to feelings or that they don't miss and love their children. Grow up and quit being so narrow-minded and hateful.

December 3, 2009 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Mandy

I must stick up for SJP concerning the first comment....maybe she can't have any more children – don't be so quick to judge her situation until you have walked in her shoes. I think she seems to be keeping her family and work as her priorities and I respect her for that.

December 3, 2009 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Jo

SJP is such a "down to earth" person. I'm sure she is a wonderful mother and her children are blessed to have her. She seems to understand the difficulties of balancing motherhood and a career. She was not born with the silver spoon in her mouth and she has been very successful. have a lot of admiration for her.

December 3, 2009 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
  64. hwgbham

Let's review, she carried her first child, so she clearly is not worried about her figure. Have you checked her age lately? I think it was a responsible decision not to carry those children at her age. I think you are off the mark.

December 3, 2009 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  65. susan

embee just an FYI SJP has had several miscarriages, so it was not an I don't want to ruin my figure decision.

December 3, 2009 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  66. usualone

Why do people have to be so cruel? I accidentaly read Embee's comments. I bet Embee is no great beauty or handsome person.

December 3, 2009 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  67. anonymous

Perhpas you didn't take into consideration that she's a woman of a certain age, an age at which having children the natural way becomes a gamble concerning health. Carrying twins for 9 months is nothing compared to raising them for 18+ years! So shame on you for demeaning the way in which she went about having children. She's proven time and time again that she's an excellent mother.

December 3, 2009 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  68. ps2000

Some guy actually had sex with her?

December 3, 2009 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  69. timewarrior

embee you have no right to say what you said. There could be thousands of other reasons as to why she didn't carry them, the major one being that she couldn't without risking the lives of herself and the babies. Infertility is not a fun thing to be afflicted with and only those who have it can know the pain they feel. Quite frankly you make me sick because you're probably just like everyone else who thinks having kids is a right and easy to do.

Well my friend, having kids is PRIVILIGE and should always be considered a blessing. Those people who abuse their children or exploit them should consider how lucky they are to have them.

You embee need an attitude adjustment and shouldn't speak such things until you know the whole story. Of course, considering what I think you are, an ignorant fool, I'm not surprised!

December 3, 2009 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Debbi

Some of you people really have warped thought processes

December 3, 2009 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Noelle Greene

I am sure she didnt carry her child becasue she was not able to, she is a great actress and mother....she has nannies just like a working mother has a daycare or babysitter..... cant wait to see her next movie!

December 3, 2009 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  72. oolinx

Embee maybe she COULDNT have anymore kids. She doesnt seem like the type of person "who doesnt want to lose that cute little figure"

December 3, 2009 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Marti Wilkinson

I wouldn't be surprised if the reason why SJP used a surrogate is due to her age. While a lot of women in their 40's are able to get pregnant and carry a child to term the fertility levels do drop after the age of 35. If ruining her figure was that big of an issue she probably wouldn't have gone the traditional route with her first child. While pregnancy and childbirth is work the hardest part of having kids is raising them.

As for her using a nanny – at least she acknowledges the role that a nanny does play in her child rearing practices. I've been in the position of raising a young child alone and watching more than half of my income go to basic day care and rent. If SJP were to suddenly crank out child rearing books like some celebrities then I would say she is being a hypocrite. So if she has the resources and can use them wisely...I say more power to her.

December 3, 2009 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  74. lin

If Parker slowed down and got off her Sex and the City obsession....doesnt she have enough millions yet? .....those three kids would be a gift, not a burden......I hear the violins Sarah

December 3, 2009 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  75. JL

Commenters should have their facts straight BEFORE they comment. SJP couldn't conceive on her own after many years of trying, hence the seven-year age difference between her son and the twins. I'm not a fan of working moms, but at least she is paying her way in life and not living on welfare.

December 3, 2009 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  76. lovely

she is adorable!

December 3, 2009 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  77. sunny

In fact, she and her husband tried for years to conceive again, and couldn't which is very difficult and heartbreaking. Be careful about jumping to conclusions as to why a woman doesn't have kids or choses to have her children in less traditional ways.

December 3, 2009 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  78. NT

At least she has a choice, to work or not to work. Some of us feel the same about the struggles of motherhood and devoting yourself to your children but alas we have to give up that calling to work to provide our share. Being 34 with 1 child and 1 on the way i already feel that regret. I'll never get this time back. I'm glad she brought up the topic that this is an "eternal struggle". I wish more women would talk about it honestly and not put up the front that they are driven to work. I'd like to hear more about how others deal with the struggle – two working parent household.

December 3, 2009 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Marla

"embee" ..It's unfortunate you would make that comment as you have no idea why she tried surrogate. I have had 3 miscarriages and am looking at exploring that option and you comments are hurtful to people who are sensitive about this issue.
    Try being happy for someone and you will feel good about it.

December 3, 2009 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dou Tankersley

I think that surrogacy is nothing more than baby selling. I know someone who went through 13 IVF until success and she had twins. As she was going through these, her mother once told her, "Maybe God is trying to tell you something." She keep on and finally on the 13th try she was carrying twins. Now she is divorced, never has time for her children, they are one holy mess, her whole life is nothing but stress.

I'm sorry that you've had miscarriages but having children is not a God-given right. IVF and surrogacy are unnatural.

August 30, 2011 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Chrissy

Maybe she actually wants to be apart of her kids life and only has a nanny when she works? Like most moms in this country, they just call it daycare..... Embee Did you ever think she could not carry or get pregnant. Not just her figure, she carried her other child, and bounced back fine. Plus she has more classy in her pinky nail then you seem to have. Calling someone ugly, when they have talent and much success, You seem jealous!

December 3, 2009 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  81. deb

To Embee – what is your problem? Jealous or just a "hater"? Your negative comments are totally uncalled for. Sarah is NOT blaming anyone here or playing the "poor me" card. Geez! I actually like her. My daughter was an extra in the movie "Hocus Pocus" many years ago and Sarah Jessica was the only one of the stars in the movie who actually paid attention to all the kids who were extras! She was great with kids!

December 3, 2009 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  82. JC

Merple, what in the world did you just say?

December 3, 2009 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Sharon Hughes

Hey Embee –
    For those of us who build our families through methods other than the traditional pregnancy route, let me just tell you how OUT OF LINE your comment was.

Sometimes pregnancy doesn't happen, and I am sure it had nothing to do with her figure. We are still mums, all the same, and we love our children just as much as you.

Your comment was very spiteful and it's people like you who end up making comments that make our children feel less. Shame on you. Be sure you don't pass on that prejudice to your own children.

December 3, 2009 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  84. alias 41368

She and Matthew I'm sure make an excellent living and have plenty of money. She should quit and be home to raise her kids.

December 3, 2009 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  85. Pat

Maybe she ought to ask Sarah Palin how she does it.

December 3, 2009 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  86. Marita

I'm with you Janie. I like to hear about parents that want to keep their kids grounded. Althouth they will get that silver spoon no matter what I hope they understand that both their parents worked extra hard to provide. I love both of them. Happy for them both.

December 3, 2009 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  87. rs1981

I like SJP. She doesn't blame any problems she has on anyone else. Good for her. She's going to do great with raising the 3 kids...Looking forward to the SATC sequel. The first one I identified with quite a lot of things in it. And I still laugh everytime Charlotte "Poughkeepsied" her pants. With Carrie's attitude at the resort when she said "Will I ever laugh again ?", I had felt that way after my marriage collapsed. But I watched that movie, and it helped me laugh again. It was an extremely comforting film...Good luck SJP with those 3 beautiful children. I know you'll do well.

December 3, 2009 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Janie

She seems very grounded and level headed. I'm happy for her and can't wait for SATC II!

December 3, 2009 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  89. Liz Gonda

Yeah, my heart cries for her. I'm sure she has several nannies to take care of the children!!! Boo Hoo!

December 3, 2009 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
  90. Abby

I'm pretty sure this exact thing happened to Monica and Chandler on the finale of Friends.

December 3, 2009 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
  91. Adelia Marland

I have no doubt that Jessica Parker is a FABULOS Mommie.
    She is a very classy Lady and a joy to watch in all she dose.
    Her children are blessed to have her as theire mommie.

December 3, 2009 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
  92. Merple Reddin (Miss)

Momma geezahh..do the 3×5 cards with constant titles on same side and placed alpha trick. Keep the best wording, dearheart. Don't ferrget the son wants to be the right person-halp or yalp. cheese and delux mags, merple

December 3, 2009 at 8:58 am | Report abuse |
  93. Debra R

Juggling work and family is always difficult. If it comes down to it always chose your children over work. SJP, love your work as an actress but you are an awsome role model for mothers!

December 3, 2009 at 8:07 am | Report abuse |
  94. embee

Oh please she didn't even do the hardest part- carrying her twins!!!!!Bet she didn't want to ruin that nice figure, after all that's all she has! With a face like that it's no wonder

December 3, 2009 at 7:22 am | Report abuse |