December 2nd, 2009

Michael Moore: Obama plan "insane"

"With friends like these, who needs enemies?"

The saying may apply to Pres. Obama who's getting heat from some former supporters over his Afghanistan speech.

Michael Moore just told CNN's Larry King he thinks the Obama troop surge plan is "absolutely insane." He added, "This is going to be his Vietnam."

Moore was one of Obama's big supporters during the campaign. So was Robert Greenwald, who produced anti-John McCain videos during the presidential election. What is Greenwald producing now? Short films arguing for a withdrawal from Afghanistan.

I talked with Greenwald, who is a big-time liberal activist, about the Obama plan and he called it a "tragic" mistake. He's spent time in Afghanistan and said people there view U.S. troops as "foreign invaders" so sending in more of them won't help.

Hollywood stars haven't been anxious to comment on the Obama plan so far. Richard Dreyfuss keeps himself well-informed on international affairs, but when I asked his political adviser where he's leaning on the surge, she said Richard hadn't made up his mind.

It will be interesting to see if Obama's Hollywood base deserts him on this issue.

1. Joel T.

People,
    Why do we care what Mr. Moore thinks???
    Look – after September 11th, we (the citizens of the U.S.) were told that we were "going after those who brought down our buildings. "

WE got side tracked going in to Iraq knowing good and full well that BinLaden was in the Afgan mountains.

I didn't vote for Mr. Obama but I would like to see MY COUNTRY stand behind this man who is trying to run this country to the best of his inability and get after BinLaden. Maybe we can get him and get our troops home.

December 10, 2009 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Lindsi

I miss Bush Senior!!!

December 10, 2009 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Frank

God, as much as I like Moore, sometimes he really needs to just shut the hell up. This would be one of those times. Vietnam... give me a break.

December 4, 2009 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Bigo

As an active duty military member, I have to agree with our President. This is the right course of action and should have been done a long time ago. We need to end this war, and leaving Afghanistan now is not an option. If we leave without getting the job done, then the death of thousands of American and Allied military members would be for nothing. We have to do what needs to be done to end this war responsibly. It seems to me that the only people not complaining about this course of action are the 30,000 military members who are being sent to the front lines. They know it needs to be done, especially if it means bringing our troops back home sooner than expected.

December 4, 2009 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  5. usmcwife4life

Sandi wrote, "But hey, I totally support that you who think we should be spreading military imperialism of the Bush Doctrine should send their OWN kids to pre-emptive war. See if they continue singing the same tune then."

Do you personally know anyone in the military or a Republican for that matter? My husband proudly serves this country and has for 11 years. When he entered the military under Clinton, our servicemembers were on welfare. When Bush came into office, we got off!

This military family supports the mission at hand. The reason why Afghanistan hasn't been a success is because it would take over 600,00 troops to have a completely successful surge in such a vast country. 2. Our military is mechanized and the mountains and lack of oxygen hinder our machinery. The only way to do this right is they way Obama has announced.

I am a Republican, but I am on this one with President Obama. I am the one sending my husband, cousins, and family to war. If I support them and the mission, how come you can't? Talk to a Marine.

December 4, 2009 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Debra R

Eddie: so the people who tell me I am a racist because I didn't vote for Obama because I disliked his politics are stupid?

We are getting off topic....my oprediction is that liberals are going to throw Obama under the bus over this issue. There is nothing liberals hate more than a president who wants to win wars. They would rather appease or surrender. Or give aid and comfort to our enemies.That is what happened in Korea under Truman. That is what happened in Viet Nam after Kennedy got us into that mess. Jane Fonda should have been tried for treason. Carter and Clinton were major appeasers so we got the hostage situation, gthe bombings in Beruit, the Cole and World trade Center 1 and 9/11.

December 4, 2009 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  7. David

Anti-Semitic rants? Israel is a country. Judaisim is a religion. Just becacause a person sees the policies of the state of Israel as counter productive towards world peace, does not make tham an anti-semite. If I criticize America's policies does that make me unAmerican or anti – democratic. NO it doesn't. Don't be absurd.

December 4, 2009 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Debra R

dee-dee: Yes! I miss Reagan. He ended the cold war and the hostage crisis. He believed in America and Americans We need more like him.

December 4, 2009 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
  9. eddie

Debra R. & modi43: Israel is a PLACE. Anti-Semitism is persecution of the Jewish RELIGION, not the Israeli country (specifically their ruling government). There's a major difference. It's like calling someone a racist because they don't think we should be funding the war acts of an African nation – it makes no sense, and it's just stupid.

December 4, 2009 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
  10. Kevin

I never thought I would type these words. I agree with Michael Moore, you have no idea how much that hurt.

December 4, 2009 at 8:56 am | Report abuse |
  11. David

I am glad that everyone has the "answer". My suggestion to all of you is run for President so that you can fix everything overnight. It must be nice to play armchair President. Did I vote for Obama, yes. Do I expect that he has every answer under the sun, no. Unlike a seeminly large number of people I did not nor do I expect eveything, economy, jobs, two wars, etc... to be fixed overnight.

December 3, 2009 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
  12. cassandra

georgette...you are just another semi-literate ignorant!

December 3, 2009 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  13. AMy

Think what we will, at lease Michael Moore has the motivation to get documentaries together along with other things to stand up for what he believes. Certainly being pessimistic and angry with our opinions only makes it worse with damper. MAybe we should all get together and make documentaries and voice our reasonings too.

December 3, 2009 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Georgette

"The fact that our president has the intelligence not to fly by the seat of his pants, but goes and talks with many experts prior to acting is very reassuring. And despite all of this there is no guarantee of success. There never is. But, I'm satisfied that our president is not acting precipitously.

I voted for this man because of his willingness and ability to analyze the entire situation, bring in the experts he needs, communicate his plans and lead the diverse American people by considering all of our concerns. I am still satisfied that he is this man, and that he is doing his best to make some very difficult decisions"

Please, wake up! All this analysis and 'consulting with experts' was done years ago- before we sent troops there in the first place. What all this is about is his dithering and delaying because he doesn't like that he has to deal with reality, not his Utopian daydream that he based his campaign promises on. Delays which have made us look weak and undecided to the enemy, and given them valuable time to regroup and expand their grip on Afghanistan. He's having to eat his words, and they're not going down so easily. "Tools" of mass destruction? Come on. Did no one else notice that he started back-pedaling on his "bring them all home" promises when he secured the Democratic nomination and started getting the authentic security briefings? I would say that his naivete is criminal, but he hasn't been naive since the nomination. What's sickening is that he has known, but failed to take the proper action until now.

December 3, 2009 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  15. DeeDee

Does anybody else miss Reagan??

December 3, 2009 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Kristen

I agree that NO ONE should care what Moore (or Dreyfus or any Hollywood nothing) says. They are isolated elitists (kind of like our Pres).
    To modi43: How fair is a fight when a developed country receives billions in US aid to buy weapons to fight people held in refugee camps for 40 years? How fair is a fight when people are forced off the land by "settlers" who are backed up by soldiers in tanks that read "Made in the USA"? I understand that Israel has a right to exist. I also understand that they are a bully nation that sucks US resources to fight their battles (Iraq NEVER had a missle that could reach the US).
    Afghanistan was the USSR's Viet Nam, for those that remember back before last year. But they sought to occupy the land. The US does not want to occupy Afghanistan. We can acheive our objectives in the country. Which, by the way, means that we can win.

December 3, 2009 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  17. dave

Russia coudnt win their war so what makes anyone think we can? Do you really think anyone can be made to change the way a person thinks? Lets say the the U.S. was invaded would we change? I didnt think so! To even think that is pure arrogance and being stupid.

December 3, 2009 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Mari

Nobody cares what Michael Moore thinks. I thought his letter was laughable. "It isn't your job to listen to the Generals..", what? No, don't listen to the Generals who are in Afghanistan, but listen to me, Michael Moore. Like I said, laughable.

December 3, 2009 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Debra R

Michael Moore works "tirelessly" for himself. He is raking in a ton of money on his "documentaries" which are filled with outright lies. he has public stated that he hates America. He has also said he is a socialist in interviews. he has made several anti-Semetic remarks both abroad and in the US. Capitalism is working quite well for him. He is a hypocrite and has no credibility.

December 3, 2009 at 8:23 am | Report abuse |
  20. Jennifer

Through the entire Bush campaign, we took our eyes off the ball to attend to his personal agenda in IRAQ. The fact that we are finally getting our eyes back on the ball, Osama Bin Laden, who did attack us on US soil, is very reassuring. The fact that our president has the intelligence not to fly by the seat of his pants, but goes and talks with many experts prior to acting is very reassuring. And despite all of this there is no guarantee of success. There never is. But, I'm satisfied that our president is not acting precipitously.

I voted for this man because of his willingness and ability to analyze the entire situation, bring in the experts he needs, communicate his plans and lead the diverse American people by considering all of our concerns. I am still satisfied that he is this man, and that he is doing his best to make some very difficult decisions. I'm glad I'm not him.

December 3, 2009 at 7:46 am | Report abuse |
  21. Selina Taylor

I totally agree with Michael Moore...this is the wrong way to go. Even though I am an Obama supporter, I feel like this will be a HUGE disaster.

December 3, 2009 at 6:32 am | Report abuse |
  22. S

Sandi- really, Michael Moore a patriot?? Maybe you need to look up the meaning. He speaks up because he likes to hear himself and to make money (despite his anti-capitalism garbage). And I totally agree w/Anon- no one drafted these soldiers, they joined on their own free will. My personal favorite part of the whole speech the other day were the totally unimpressed looks on all the cadets faces and how unhappy Obama seemed to be getting over not being applauded for every word he spoke!

December 3, 2009 at 12:36 am | Report abuse |
  23. Jezmund

I agree with Sean's comment. We can't just pull out of Afghanistan before making sure the Afghan people are going to be in a better situation than before we went in. An immediate pullout would be disastrous. That said, the best thing would be to finish the job as quickly as possible. In order to do this, I think 30,000 troops are not going to be enough.

December 2, 2009 at 11:58 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Anonymous

Sandi- how did we send them to war? They volunteered to join the military. They didn't have to, it wasn't required. Oh, they joined for free education and a nice tour around the world, right? Well, this is what being in the military means. Sorry.

December 2, 2009 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse |
  25. sandi

As an Obama supporter – he's really stepped into it this time. Afghanistan has always been the co-dependent drama queen; they took Britian thru it, and Russia, and now America's military industry.

As for Michael Moore, the man is a true patriot, willing to risk his own reputation to continually speak the truth. He speak honestly about Isreal's terrorism upon Palestine and gets called anit-semitic ?

Taliban did not attack – AlQueda did. You have to do the research. But hey, I totally support that you who think we should be spreading military imperialism of the Bush Doctrine should send their OWN kids to pre-emptive war. See if they continue singing the same tune then.

December 2, 2009 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |
  26. A. Smith, Oregon

There are 1 Trillion US Taxpayer Dollar reasons why the US Defense Dept. hasn't captured or killed Osama bin Ladin.

The DOD and their associates in the huge private defense contractor corporations would lose Hundreds of Billions of Taxpayer dollars if America pulled out of Afghanistan and Iraq.

After 7 Years in Afghanistan, only two things have changed:

1) Afghani's hate Americans more than they hated the Russians for propping up a corrupt leader in Afghanistan.

2) Afghanistan's vast Opium Poppy fields have increased 300%, flooding Russia and the Middle East with cheap Heroin.

President Karzi is finished the moment America pulls out of Afghanistan just like the Russian puppet previously installed.

The Muslim Afghanistan women that were the true victims of the Taliban, have not had their lives improved nor empowered. They are still not educated nor trained in self-defense and they remain unarmed against the moment America pulls out and they are beaten and murdered with Islamic impunity.

December 2, 2009 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Sean

As a liberal, I can get very furstrated with fellow lefties who are so anti-war that they cannot distinguish between necessary vs unnecessary wars. Michael Moore is definitely in this camp.

If we leave Afghanistan having not neutrzlied Mullah Omar and Osama bin Laden, it is hard to imagine them not returning to power, given the weakness of the Karzai government. With nuclear Pakistan next door, and with Pakistan's own military of divided loyaltires to extremism and their country, we simply cannot afford to leave until we have done out level best to 'clean house.'

And that is the piece Moore is most missing. The difference between Afghanistan and Vietnam is 1) They attacked us first, and 2) Pakistan's presence makes defeat a completely unacceptable prospect.

December 2, 2009 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  28. A. Smith, Oregon

Michael Moore is right when he states he is disappointed in President Obama's decision to send more active solders to Afghanistan.

What success are we talking about in the war in Afghanistan?

Success meaning transferring 1 Trillion Taxpayer dollars into the pockets of the Pentagon and huge multi-national Defense Contractors? YES, they've been hugely successful with the Republican lawmakers they have in their very pockets!

Success meaning flooding Russia and the Middle East with cheap Heroin? YES, under the Bush-Cheney administration Heroin production skyrocketed to 300% what it was, a all time high for that terrible plague upon all humanity.

Success meaning propping up yet another corrupt foreign leader by the gun barrels of the US Military? YES, and the moment America pulls out, President Karzai is either killed or exiled to a luxury resort paid by US Taxpayers for the rest of his life.

Success meaning adding more homeless Veterans to the streets of rural America, unfed and begging for their daily survival?

None of these success's have anything in common with the core of American values.

December 2, 2009 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
  29. J

Debra, Debra, Debra... Michael Moore LOVES his country. Why else would he work tirelessly to try to bring to light the things about it that could be improved upon? He WANTS to be proud of it again. I always tell people that I'm grateful to be an American, but I'm not proud. Not right now I'm not.

December 2, 2009 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Debra R

Why does anyone care what Michael Moore says? He hates this country and all it stands for. He has the intellegence of a goldfish, the courage of the french and the moral compass of Mao.

He obviously does not get that this is not Viet Nam. 1. No draft. 2. The taliban committed mass murder before we attaxcked them 3. We now know how to fight this kind of war.

It is people like Moore and Greenwald who are demoralizing our troops and giving aid and comfort to our enemies.

December 2, 2009 at 9:13 am | Report abuse |
  31. modi43

Why doesn't Michael Moore get more heat for his anti-Semitic rants?

In England, he called Israel part of the axis of evil. In one of his books, he called for the US to cut off all funding to Israel, to use the money saved to supply arms to the Palestinians, and then to let the two sides go at in a 'fair' fight for a change, and blow each other to smithereens. (One wonders of course how fair the fight is for the bus passengers blown up by a suicide bomber).

December 2, 2009 at 3:36 am | Report abuse |