November 27th, 2009

The Who to perform at the Super Bowl

Classic rock group The Who will perform at the Super Bowl XLIV halftime show at Dolphins Stadium in Miami on Feb. 7, the NFL announced on Thanksgiving.

Bruce Springsteen and the E Street band performed at last year's Super Bowl. Past performers have included Paul McCartney, U2, Prince and the Rolling Stones.

The Who famously took the stage at Woodstock and has sold over 100 million records worldwide. They were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1990.

The band's remaining members, Pete Townshend and Roger Daltrey, are a conservative choice for the NFL which has been careful with its halftime choices since the famous wardrobe malfunction between Justin Timberlake and Janet Jackson during the 2004 Super Bowl.

Post by:
Filed under: television

« Previous entry
  1. Carter

alright I'm 14 and i love the who. Yes, both Keith Moon and John Entwistle are dead and the other w are in their 60's. Who cares? They are still great, i saw them last year and they were just amazing. To Hayley, how are they boring. they revolutionized the rock performance and basically were some of the first to make it exciting instead of just standing there playing songs. I agree w/ T from Nov. 30 that it would be cool if they got some modern act to play too, maybe someone like The White Stripes or Green Day. There are many people who still like bands from the 60's, not everyone loves the garbage that people like Miley Cirus, The Jonas Brothers, Jay Z, etc. put out.

December 9, 2009 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Hayley

I think Prince should play again he was my favorite, The Who is boring....=P

December 1, 2009 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
  3. T

Well, I like "The WHO".

Even if most everyone else doesn't.... And I like to agree a little with
    BJ from Nov. 29th, Thank goodness for the oldies but.... maybe if they got two acts – one classic band and one modern to appeal to the oldsters and the youngsters to perform....to appeal and satisfy to both generations.

November 30, 2009 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
  4. Stan

Get a birthday clown/magician. Way more hip to the target demo.

November 30, 2009 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
  5. Eric

I have to agree with Chris. They need to start letting newer bands hammer the ratings for a decent Halftime show. Green Day, with their huge fan base would be a prefect choice (Taylor Swift hasnt put her time in yet). maybe 10-15 years ago when at least Entwistle was still alive, but to have Daltry & Townsend (come on guys, lets call it what it is already) try to pull ratings now? Not only is it not going to happen, but I'm pretty sure most will flip channels durring the performance. This is NOT a dig against the band at all, its reality.

November 30, 2009 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
  6. Stephen Breitrich

I saw them in L.A. on the fairwell tour in the late 70's or early 80's WOW! I saw them again with my 11 year old son just 2 years ago in Fulda, Germany,and they rocked!! They still got it!

November 30, 2009 at 8:40 am | Report abuse |
  7. JW

WHO are they, and WHO besides people older than 50 actually cares about them?!?!

November 30, 2009 at 12:01 am | Report abuse |
  8. BJ

I wonder if A. Smith from Oregon has looked in the mirror lately. If I look lile Roger Daltrey at 65, I won't be complaining.

As a Brit, it's not the be all and end all to tighten up loose skin once you turn 40, so I'm quite sure that Mr D won't go near the knife.

I would rather listen to The Who than to some of todays 'stars' that pass off their contributions as music. Thank goodness for the oldies!

November 29, 2009 at 11:17 pm | Report abuse |
  9. ozzy

I guess Susan Boyle was too busy.

November 29, 2009 at 11:13 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Mitch

To Chris is said he was tired of trips down memory lane.....he/she suggested Taylor Swift? Jay Z? GARBAGE. Green Day, ok, but there isn't a whole lot out there to choose from today. Maybe some good 90s artists but forget the 00s. GARBAGE.

November 29, 2009 at 10:58 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Jacob

No halftime show will ever come close to the one Prince put on a few years ago. It was without question the best live performance I've ever seen on TV.

November 29, 2009 at 10:34 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Chris

Look, I am tired of the trips down memory lane. How old are the people making these decisions, 60 or 70? I don't have an issue with the elderly, but there is a WHOLE NEW GENERATION out there creating very good music, and these nimrods are still plugging the seventies,
    Here is my suggestion: Set. Down. The. Eight. Tracks....and step a way from the superbowl...
    Here are some suggestions for NEW ARTISTS.
    Taylor swift
    Carrie Underwood or Brad Paisley
    Jay z
    Greenday
    Three doors Down
    Alicia Keys
    Good lord, there are too many to mention, pull your heads out of your gold lame suits people. Join us here in 2009. We have computers and cell phones now.

November 29, 2009 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Neo

The WHO? No Thanks. Another SuperBowl halftime failure.

November 29, 2009 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Vicki

Groovy MAN!
    This year is the 40th Anniversary of TOMMY.
    And WOODSTOCK.
    Last Christmas, The Who got in The Kennedy Center Award.
    And my school did TOMMY a few years ago.
    Hope Peter and Roger have a good time there in Florida.

November 29, 2009 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Meh82

The Who?

November 29, 2009 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Sal

People the Superbowl is on CBS this year, the same network that uses 3 songs by The Who on its popular CSI franchise. That would appear to be the driver for them at the Superbowl is the already existing relationship with The Who and the fact that the network has already paid for use of at least 3 songs they are going to play. You may like The Who from their music of the past but they are in no way relevant to the music world in 2009. The NFL has played the halftime show so safe that it isn't relevant anymore either.

November 29, 2009 at 8:54 am | Report abuse |
  17. Denisa

NO! They will not, why do they keep getting these old acts to perform during half time. Haven't we paid enough for the JJ and JT mistake? I mean how much can we take!!!! First the Diana Ross then the Rolling Stones now this...Enough already with the geriatric crew!

November 29, 2009 at 1:54 am | Report abuse |
  18. mike O

it was around 1967 when the Who wailed
    "hope I die before I get old" My Generation...my generation bay-bee

November 29, 2009 at 1:07 am | Report abuse |
  19. James - NYC

Stephen NYC – So you're against a sponsor for the halftime show? *ANY* sponsor? I'm not quite sure you understand how FREE television works, They don't charge the public a dime for their 24/7 programming, and they get money from corporate sponsors. it's really that simple. HBO doesn't get a dime from sponsors, so if you want to watch their programming, you must pay a fee every month. It's that simple.

Sheesh! Loosen up a little! It's not like it's an alcohol, tobacco or erectile dysfunction company is hosting it. It's a freaking tire company! And your horror at the fact that it has a sponsor actually encouraged me look it up! It's BRIDGESTONE AMERICAS.

So good for you Stevey! You go show those "fat cats" who's the boss! When The Who come on and perform a live set, you go shut off the tv, put on a CD and then turn the game back on. You'll really show them! Remember – make sure you don't see any ads, otherwise they win!

November 28, 2009 at 8:04 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Someone else

The Who is not who they used to be. They won't pull great ratings, and they won't sound good. If the Super Bowl halftime is going to be something really special, it needs to be retooled completely.

November 28, 2009 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Jamie

They are a great band still. They do sing to a certain demographic that I don't think the Superbowl audience match...

November 28, 2009 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  22. lou

You would think that since its Miami, they would have brought in that Adam guy for the home crowd. Who cares what the half time entertainment is? Its about the Super Bowl. The rest is just piffle.

November 28, 2009 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
  23. Stephen - NYC

Well, it looks like there is a sponsor to the half-time show. It's a tire company. I am not going to give their name (hey, they didn't pay me to shill for them, but they did pay Fox News since their story mentions the corporate john).
    So, I will turn off the tv and play my CDs to hear their music. And when the shilling is over, I'll turn the game back on.

November 28, 2009 at 9:38 am | Report abuse |
  24. phillippe spectator

Wow. Why not Green Day?

November 28, 2009 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
  25. Saly

Hey Me – Lynyrd Skynyrd did Free Bird.

November 28, 2009 at 7:55 am | Report abuse |
  26. Jessica

The past couple of Super Bowl Half Time Shows have been so lame. Ew remember when Tom Petty and The Heart Breakers played? That was so sad....it was so bad. They need to do half time shows that span generations like they did when they had the Aerosmith, Run DMC, Britney Spears, Nelly Show. That was cool.

November 28, 2009 at 4:03 am | Report abuse |
  27. Kelly

No one can compare to Michael Jackson's performance ever. It truly was the greatest superbowl performance of all time.

November 28, 2009 at 1:56 am | Report abuse |
  28. Dianne

As the 1993 Superbowl performance began, Michael Jackson was catapulted onto the stage as fireworks went off behind him. As he landed on the canvas, he maintained a motionless "clenched fist, standing statue stance", dressed in a gold and black military outfit and sunglasses; he remained completely motionless for several minutes while the crowd cheered. He then slowly removed his sunglasses, threw them away and began to sing and dance. His routine included four songs: "Jam", "Billie Jean", "Black or White" and "Heal the World". It was the first Super Bowl where the audience figures increased during the half-time show, and was viewed by 135 million Americans alone. This was the biggest superbowl performance of all time and the greatest. Michael Jackson was the only performer in superbowl history to not have an opening act.

November 28, 2009 at 1:55 am | Report abuse |
  29. shay

Are they going to be via sattelite from their retirement home? or have their wheelchairs bedazzled for the special event? How are they going to be able to sing and breath the air from the oxygen tank and sing into the mic at the same time? I bet bigger bets will be set against one of them having a heart attack or falling off the stage then the score on the game.

November 28, 2009 at 1:40 am | Report abuse |
  30. Mike

I saw them twice in recent years. They still put on an excellent show. Can't wait!

November 27, 2009 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Chantal

That is a really good choice.. I saw them in concert a year ago and they are amazing live even if they are in their 60's.!!!!!!

November 27, 2009 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |
  32. deborah betty fitzgerald

Considering who (no pun intended) will be watching the half-time show this is perfect. Can not wait to watch (and please, no plastic surgery).

November 27, 2009 at 8:05 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Jack Goff

If theres to be a British act performing at half-time it should be.. .Geraldine Mcqueen! Last years winner of Britians Got The Pop factor is amazing, fantastic and very talented. USA will love her!!!!

November 27, 2009 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Matt

Karl, you took the words right out of my mouth!

November 27, 2009 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Sixie

The Who along with the Beatles are my favs. Of course, The WHO is not going to be a happening for everyone. Give them a chance. Pete and Roger are not spring chickens anymore, but they still rock. I saw The Who four times in 2006-2007 and Roger in J'Ville, FL in October (will again in FT.Lauderdale on Sunday Night) and this is Classic Rock and Roll at it's best.
    Pinball Wizard, Who Are You, Won't Get fooled Again will be robust even for a Super Bowl. Remember The Concert for New York? This Group ruled that show and they will be a happening in Miami. Thanks. Todd

November 27, 2009 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Stephen - NYC

Do we know who is the corporate john for the show? Some people call them sponsors. Anyway, if it is just The Who performing, then I'll watch. If there's an attachment to the half-time show, then I'll turn off the tv and put in one of my Who CDs.
    I enjoy the humorous commercials (and only for that game), but all the information that has to have a 'sponsor' just so we can find out about the offensive player of the game or mvp or defensive player of the game or any of the other stupid commercial titles given just so some company can get their name out there is ridiculous. I go out of my way to not patronize any of the corporate johns. That includes stadium johns, college bowl game johns, golf johns, racing car johns, cell phone johns, and any of the 'official' johns (those are where some company paid to be the official widget of the team).

November 27, 2009 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Peace out

Man, that's not right. I read the title, thought the group The Guess Who were the headliners, and got all happy...then I read the story and see it's only The Who. *sigh*

How about Rare Earth? Three Dog Night? (As long as we're dragging up old acts)...or, put Adam Lambert on and watch the phones ring off the hook, LOL! That should erase Janet's wardrobe malfunction but good!

November 27, 2009 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Norm

It seems likely that whoever wrote the headline is too young to realize that there was another rock group known as The Guess Who.

November 27, 2009 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Mike

Fix your headline. It's "The Who" who are playing the Superbowl, not the "Guess Who"!

November 27, 2009 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Jon

Really, "Guess Who" ("No Sugar Tonight" "American Woman" etc) and "The Who" ("Tommy" "Who Are You" etc) are two rather different bands.

November 27, 2009 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Karl

Thank God it's not Adam Lambert!!!!!!!!!

November 27, 2009 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Brad

The title of the news item read "Guess Who is performing at the Super Bowl." Here I got all excited thinking that the classic Canadian rockers, "The Guess Who" (all of whom are still living) would be performing at the Super Bowl. Turns out is the empty shell that once was The Who. Oh well.

November 27, 2009 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Me

Bad choice in headline considering there is a well known 70's classic rock band named "The Guess Who". This headline is miss leading.
    Anyway, I love The Who but wil likely not care if I see the half time show due to the fact that the will likely play the "CSI" theme songs. Great songs but it's kinda like Stairway To Heaven and Free Bird... they are so iconic and overplayed that I really don't care to hear them for the millionth time. Why not play Squeezebox, Behind Blue Eyes, 5'15 or The Real Me? Hell, play Love Ain't For Keeping and I will gladly eat these words.

November 27, 2009 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Larry

Please check the headline....the "Guess Who" is a different group than the "Who."

November 27, 2009 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  45. A. Smith, Oregon

Um, talking about a walk down memory lane!

I hope Pete Townshend and Roger Daltrey at least have some plastic surgery done before the Superbowl!

November 27, 2009 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |