November 26th, 2009

Much to be thankful for in 'SYTYCD' results

testing captions
testing captions

Ladies and gentlemen, your top 10 dancers! And... not too shabby. If you had told me a few weeks ago that Mollee, Ashleigh and Legacy would still be in the competition on "So You Think you Can Dance," I wouldn't have believed you.

On this Thanksgiving, I'm thankful that Legacy, Kathryn, Ashleigh, Jakob, Noelle and Russell were safe on Wednesday night's result show. I was definitely less surprised than the judges that Mollee and Nathan ended up in the bottom three - it seems like their "fan favorite" status isn't all it's cracked up to be. It will be very interesting to see how they do with new partners next week. Another disagreement with the judges: I enjoyed Nathan's solo better than Mollee's. I've been betting against Mollee for a while now, and I don't think she'll make it far in the top 10.

Karen and Victor going into the bottom three was pretty obvious from last night, but Ryan and Ellenore in danger was a real shocker. For the life of me, I can't figure that one out (other than to say that Russell seems to be a true "fan favorite"). I enjoyed the couple's solos, though the judges were not too pleased with Ryan's.

After a Shakira performance that reminded me a bit of "Rhythm Nation," judge Nigel Lythgoe didn't seem to have any more of a clue than I did on why Ellenore isn't getting votes. Needless to say, though, she was safe, and Karen's ouster was as certain as a food-coma on Thanksgiving.

Then, tricky Nigel threw us a curveball, making it seem like Victor was safe after announcing that the guys' results were not unanimous. When he criticized Ryan's solo, I worried that we'd be two ballroom dancers short in the top 10, but then he told Nathan that he would have preferred to see him go, which gave the game away. And so, Victor was sent home, without leaving much of an impression.

Are you thankful for this top 10, and looking forward to having your say next week? Are you as confused as I am as to why Ryan and Ellenore aren't getting votes? Share your thoughts on video, or in the comments below, and in the meantime, have a happy Thanksgiving!

Next entry »
« Previous entry
  1. kat

What age group did you think lindy hop would appeal to? Most modern lindy hoppers are under 35. i'd say a bunch of them are not even 30. But you are correct to say there weren't enough of us voting.. maybe this will kick lindy back into the mainstream!!

And in terms of fast, fun flips (etc).. we lindy hoppers were actually overjoyed to see a more true-to-life representation of our dance on tv... (it's not all about the flips)

Many huge thanks to SYTYCD, the dancers and the choreographer Carla Heiney for a great example of the dance i LOVE.

December 2, 2009 at 5:12 am | Report abuse |
  2. terabid

Ryan has to share votes with his wife. As soon as one of them is tossed off the other will skyrocket.

November 30, 2009 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Mary

Legacy has been getting the "diamond in the rough" treatment. But it takes a long time for a diamond to form. For the first half of the competition, it seemed that the judges were evaluating him based on where he started during the auditions, and he has shown a lot of heart and has certainly progressed. Yet, from here on in, he will begin to be evaluated against the other dancers, and his path will become tougher. I keep thinking back to Mary and Nigel's comments about his performance in the waltz, which were not complimentary. His age may also work against him: it's harder for most people to begin acquiring solid dance technique at 28 than at 20. Still, he seems to have a fan base who has been consistently voting for him, and keeping him out of the "bottom six"–and there's always the benefit of having a strong partner. Kathryn may be getting lots of votes.

I don't know what to think about Ellenore and Ryan landing in the bottom three, especially Ellenore. (Not that Ryan belonged there either.) It could be that many viewers don't relate well to her quirky, offbeat personality.

I'm really looking forward to the new partnerships next week. Time for a shake-up to refresh the competition.

November 28, 2009 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Will

I just wish Mollee would go already. I don't think she is that great. I think the girl they let go a week or so ago was much better. (she danced the bird number with victor I think) Also do you really think Ryan picks out what he wears?? They have stylists that do that.

November 28, 2009 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Mitch

I completely agree about Legacy. Maybe now that he is in the top ten the choreographers will stop dumbing down his routines. I definitely think Nigel got his wish with have Paula Abdul as the third judge, she is just using her maiden name of Shankman. I am happy Ryan final put a shirt on maybe this week he can get some sleeves.

November 27, 2009 at 11:46 pm | Report abuse |
  6. DJ

Pericles I agree with you about Legacy I don't think he's doing very much. Aside from his b-boy skills that's all I ever see him doing these routines. I just never think they give Legacy any challenging things to do or even if he can do something else which I'm not sure he can.

November 27, 2009 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Pericles

One more thing. What is up with Nigel and his sexual comments? They seem to be getting more and more explicit. He needs to tone it down.

November 27, 2009 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Pericles

Victor was thrown under the bus by the judges because they wanted Legacy in the top 10. Come on folks – Legacy? He has no dancing skills. Every number he has been in has been choreographed down for him – with the exception of the Waltz, which, by coincidence, he started crying when he was finished. The judges fell for it and let him slide. Why, because the tour needs him to sell tickets. In all the opening numbers he is not shown until the very end doing his schtick. The judges have made it clear week after week that they wanted Legacy in the top ten. The only way to do that was to continuously bash Victor. They should be ashamed of themselves. Victor deserved much more than that. Ellenore was in the bottom three because of Ryan. I think his 'I'm too sexy for my shirt' routine has the voters sick. Now that he will be going it alone in voting I expect he will be gone soon. I also think that Nathan has shown a very spoiled side that is not fairing well with the voters. It will be interesting to see if he can recover from that. I do think that he and Mollie will benefit from dancing with other partners.

November 27, 2009 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Sam

I disagree. The lindy hop is an excellent dance. Honestly I do not think this one held a candle to Lacey and Neils in season 3 which was fully of fun flips and fast feet. This one felt more like a kickier west coast swing then lindy. And so you know it was Kherington, not Harrington lol. But yes that was most definitly a KOD dance. As was the russian folk dance. U.S. Has yet to try Capioera, but it was clear last year on the Canadian show that it is best done between two guys then a mixed couple only because its a fighting dance (lots of face kicks) although I would love to see them try House or Dancehall like our Canadian show because it produces some of the most interesting dances. Although the U.S. version is a lot more censored. Anyone who has seen the Canadian version would agree. Dan Karaty himself has said before just how sexual our numbers can get. Usually in the hip hop or latin numbers.

November 27, 2009 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
  10. A Fan

Ryan should be in the Top 5 for simply being so gorgeous!

Maybe the guys aren't voting for him?

November 26, 2009 at 8:30 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Marigall

I think Ryan and Ellenore were in the bottom three because of the dances they had to dance. The Lindy Hop just isn't relevent to the age group that is voting and the jazz routine was difficult but not spectacular. I'm sure they wouldn't have been in the bottom if they had danced a Tango or Hip Hop. Remember when the Texas Two Step sent Harringon home? Same thing

November 26, 2009 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |