November 25th, 2009

Defending Adam Lambert!

Adam Lambert is a genius. He is an artist who knows exactly what he wants, and he knows how to get it.

For people who have actually followed Adam, it's hard to believe that anyone could really be "shocked" by his performance at the American Music Awards. Ever since "American Idol" wrapped, Adam has been on a straight streak of gaining attention and stirring up controversy wherever he goes.

It started with his Rolling Stone article. You know, the one where he confirmed his homosexuality to the entire world. Next came his Details magazine shoot, where he was photographed being overtly sexual with a gorgeous and naked female model, and it didn't end there. Just as his first album was about to drop, Adam released the cover image for the album and yes, just as expected, people had a problem with that too. Who would have thought that a little bit of eyeliner and bright blue hair on a guy would get people so... riled up?

Hmmm, perhaps Adam.

It's pretty easy to break down and to comprehend. He wanted to be rock star. He knew the only way for him to get there in today's music industry was to get on a show like "American Idol." He said it himself in his "racy" Rolling Stone article: the only way to be taken seriously and to have a chance to be the artist he wanted was to go on "Idol." And that's what he did. He didn't want to be like everyone else, because, well, where is the fun it that?

He has soared past his "American Idol" days and has emerged as a unique and talented artist who is expressing himself the best way he knows how. He is an artist, an entertainer, a performer... whatever you want to call him, he is a brilliant act to follow, and I have a feeling we will be following him for years to come.

He may have won Americans over on "American Idol," but in the end, Americans chose their idol and it wasn't Adam.

As he said in that Rolling Stone article, "I am trying to be a singer, not a civil-rights leader."

So just let him sing, and sit back and relax. And if you don't want to do that, then just listen to the guy who won "American Idol."

What is his name again?

Post by:
Filed under: Adam Lambert • Celebrities • Music

« Previous entry
  1. Unwilling Observer

The guy is a freak!

December 1, 2009 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
  2. blackwido in Austin

I'm disappointed that this was pulled or edited by such a major network. They show much worse on reality, non-reality, movies, mini-series, SOAP OPERAS, news, all forms of entertainment, blood, guts, sex, rape, death, war, etc. But you focus on a man on man kiss. Pull your heads out please. This is life, this is America, "land of the FREE". My son is 12, had to be in bed early so we Tivo'd it. I saw it live, talked to him about ALL of the provacative performances and references during speeches or announcements before he watched it. Wow, was that difficult for me as a parent...NOT. This is life, I cannot shield him and if I wanted to that kiss would not be on the top of my list. Adam has passion, he's a good ARTIST. Was who he kisses a stipulation of being on the show? I'm disappointed in Dick Clark Productions. You are the ones who should be ashamed of yourselves, not Adam. You should apologize to him.

December 1, 2009 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Hayley

Okay anyone who doesn't like Adem because he is gay needs to get a grip. In my opinion Adam is the best and for most memorable person that I have seen on American idol and he will continue to rise as I see it.

December 1, 2009 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  4. Stephanie

His talent is SUPERB. I also stood up and cheered for him in my living room. Yes, he may be different from the norm, but I LOVE HIM and his CD ROCKS.

November 30, 2009 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Debra R

Re: Why is it that, as a culture, we are more comfortable seeing two men holding guns than holding hands?

1. Because men and women have a constitutional right to keep and bear arms.

2. Men can hold hands. Women can hold hands. women and men can hold hands. it the simulating of a sex act that makes people squeamish...as long as it's two consenting adults what happens in the privacy of the bedroom is none of my business...when you place it on TV you make it my business. Also I could care less if you are a homosexual...but as a "flaming heterosexual" I find it stupid that he is whining about something he did just for shock reaction that has NOTHING to do with his music.

November 30, 2009 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
  6. raynewalker

I haven't followed Adam's career but I did see his performance. If this was his first big gig in front of an international audience then I can't help but wonder if he thought this was his opportunity to knock his performance out of the park and establish himself as a performer.

Adam has an amazing voice and a range that few can attain. I was one who was shocked beyond belief that he didn't win American Idol.

Personally I found his AMA performance to be distasteful and totally unnecessary at this early stage in his career.

I'm a Kris Allen fan but I'm also a fan of anyone who is an amazing talent like Adam. I'm hoping he keeps his feet firmly planted on the ground while reassessing the need for future outlandish performances in front of a mixed audience.

November 30, 2009 at 12:13 am | Report abuse |
  7. Scarlett

November 29, 2009 at 7:30 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Angela

I just love how all the women can kiss each other and wear bondage outfits, but if you put a man doing the same thing it's offensive.

Come on people. Get out of the dark ages and realize that gay men exist and are pretty darned sexy too.

I'm a heterosexual female and I have no problem with watching two men kiss.

Now tell me, if it had been Rhianna rubbing up on Alicia Keys would be have heard anything really, except perverted fascination?

November 29, 2009 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  9. pat

well apparently his performance as he called it–didn't help his opening record sells much. people seem to forget, the people that you're talking about: Elvis, Keith Richards,Janet & Micheal Jackson,Madonna–could actually sing and have talent!
    And were seasoned performers and had a 'fan base' before they ever went for the 'shock value' –which is all his so called performance was--shocking--no talent-–his wretched singing woke up my sleeping dogs!
    He has talent. When he was on Idol I voted for him and always made sure to watch, to see which side of Adam was going to perform that night-but he went from Idol to the Big Lights and whoever is managing him should have told him to 'trot out slow'–leave people wanting more NOT hoping the song would end and you'd leave the stage fast!
    And I don't blame ABC for being ticked off! No he may not be a babysitter (his words) but familys w/ children tune into this show and I'd bet more parents let their kids watch,because of what they'd seen on Idol--and were as shocked and stunned at his stereotyping of gay men as I was–and I don't mean the dumb kiss! Actually I thought it was a girl he was kissing--I was more shocked over that visual! Wasn't until I watched the replay and heard it was a 'him' did I even know he'd kissed a guy--like big deal! But dragging half nekid men around in leather (typical stereotyping) was wayyyyyyyyyy over the top!

November 29, 2009 at 1:11 am | Report abuse |
  10. kc

Someone said that Kris did all covers on his cd. The only cover is Heartless. Kris wrote or cowrote all but three songs on his cd. The current single was written by the Script but it was unreleased in the US. Kris's music is very different from Adam's music but I think it's terrific and very current and unique. It's more like Rob Thomas and Maroon 5 and I think it will do very well.

Like Adam but didn't really like FYE. I don't think this song shows his voice as much as others. I also think it might have been better to build up to it. I think at least in part the controversy was because Adam was a new artist. I absolutely love What Do you want from me and some of the other songs on the cd.

November 28, 2009 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Dorena

I was concerned about the sexual content but was disappointed that the vocals were not Adam's usual brilliance. His cd is though! Check it out – it's worth every penny and then some. Adam is fantastic and I look forward to his long and no doubt rocky career!

November 28, 2009 at 7:42 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Sarah

Thank you! Someone who gets it! Adam is a rock star – he is an amazing performer and an incredibly talented singer.
    I am listening to his album right now – it is soooo good.
    Do your thing, Adam – we love and support you 100%!!

November 27, 2009 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Elizabeth

Please show this excellent, insightful article to your colleague Brooke Anderson who has just gone ridiculously over the top with criticism of this ONE performance . She is coming across as a real hater, not a professional journalist (ahem).

November 27, 2009 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Peter of NJ

His management knows that music sales is going down at about 13% every year. His first single was not doing well inspite of the publicity and buzz. They needed something extremely controversial now.

The AMA came at the right time for the needed controversy. And then CBS and D. Letterman to temper the fallout. WHAT A BRILLIANT STRATEGY.

In the end, only music matters to the majority. His success depends on his album sales.

November 27, 2009 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Cat

The thing that bothered me most about Adam's AMA performance was his shaky vocals- the nerves/adrenaline and sound system got the best of him. His other live performances (the entire season of American Idol, CBS Early Show, Letterman) demonstrate that he is an extremely gifted singer and just happened to have an off night last Sunday. His album is an eclectic mix of pop, rock, and electronic music that has something for everyone. I wasn't bothered by the sexuality of his performance; the "simulated BJ" lasted for a second or two and Adam was fully clothed in a 3 piece suit. If there was nudity I could understand the uproar.

November 27, 2009 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Netmeg99

BRAVO! Love this. Adam is Adam we love him for who he is and the fact that he is not afraid to be himself. He is a breath of fresh air. I have been supporting and loving Adam since the very beginning of this journey and Nothing I mean Nothing is gonna change that. I believe in him, I love his music His Look and Oh Yes That Smile!

November 27, 2009 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Debra R

Re: Debra R – Have you heard this man sing on a good night?

My comment has nothing to do with his talent or lack thereof...I suppose that he like many others before him have had "good nights"....IF Adam were secure in his talent, he would not have needed to highlight it in such a classless way. Adam is very immature and it showed. He is now acting even more immature by whining that people are being homophobic or whatever it is today he is whining about....the bottom like is he is an insecure, immature brat who may or may not have talent.....

November 27, 2009 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Dan D.

Roy, please go enjoy listening to David Hasselhoff (there's some style and substance for you) and don't worry about Adam Lambert.

November 27, 2009 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Roy Cathey

Adam Lambert SUCKS! When you have such little talent you must depend on antics like his to get and keep peoples attention these days. His vocals are "thin & nasally", it's so weak he could'nt sing more than 3 nights in a row on Tour without "Backing Vocal Tracks"! When are you worshipers of "Pop Culture" gonna realize that all these "American Idol Hacks" are pre-packaged, pre-programed and VOID OF ANY TALENT OR SUBSTANCE! Adam Lamberts fast track to fame will end soon. He will end up performing on Santa Monica Blvd at $50 a POP!!! And for all that RALLY around him your P.A.T.H.E.T.I.C. I am SICK of having your sexual choices SHOVED down my and MY CHILDRENS throats!!! KEEP IT IN THE BEDROOM!!! If your Gay, FINE. Just STOP "going out of your way" to let everyone know about it. Stop CRAMMING your Social Agenda into every aspect of MY LIFE!!!

November 27, 2009 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
  20. Debra R

What I am wondering is, since this was not a "planned" move, why more people aren't upset that what Adam did to the dancer could be considered at the least sexual harrassment and at worst sexual assault.

November 27, 2009 at 8:08 am | Report abuse |
  21. Maryann

Thanks for this article, I enjoyed it.

Margaret – I'm a Glambert and I agree that Kris Allen is nice person who doesn't deserve to be treated poorly for having the gall to win. It wasn't his fault, it was natural for him to want it, and that it was unjust doesn't merrit cruelty.

However, I keep hearing Kris called a "songwriter." Correct me if I'm wrong, but his debut CD is all covers, is it not? Adam's most definitely a songwriter, he's credited on four of his album's songs. So what has Kris written?

Debra R – Have you heard this man sing on a good night? The AMAs were his worst televised vocal performance, his nerves showed terribly and so did the show's continual audio problems (you know it's bad when Whitney Houston, Alicia Keys, and yes, Adam Lambert sound less than stellar).

He has a three octave range, perfect control, lung capacity like a Goodyear blimp (heard him hold a note?... oh my God) and power like an amp set to Spinal Tap's infamous 11.

And then there's about a million other things piled on top, from his good looks to his songwriting ability.

As long as he can still do those things, he'll sell music. Truly, you know not of what you speak.

Michael – Seriously, it was a bad night for Adam. See above. You need to hear his other work to judge him properly. The man can sing his freaking face off when he's on form.

November 27, 2009 at 6:54 am | Report abuse |
  22. AdamUKFan

I agree with all of what you said about Adam. His music will speak for itself and I am sure too he is destined for a long and interesting career. But I am with Margaret – why the dig at Kris? Sorry but it just cheapens your article. Shame.

November 27, 2009 at 5:06 am | Report abuse |
  23. Nellie

Now that was an awesome review. Just let Adam be Adam and the fans will be happy! Adam, next time can you lick some of the ladies in the audience?

November 27, 2009 at 1:53 am | Report abuse |
  24. Nancy

Really great article. I agree with what you wrote 100%. Adam is a very smart guy and is totally true to himself. From the first time I heard him I knew he would be a star, he is utterly captivating and talented. The AMA performance is over and was blown way out of proportion. Adams album is fantastic, vocals are wonderful and the songs are catchy and addictive. Rock on Adam!

November 27, 2009 at 1:22 am | Report abuse |
  25. svmreiter

Thanks for a great article! Music award shows have been racy and lewd for years and this was no better or worse than past ones. Can't believe people are still carrying on about it. Looking forward to whatever Adam has in store for us next – his talent is fabulous.

November 27, 2009 at 1:15 am | Report abuse |
  26. Barbara Schneier

Thank you for this article. America is still hung up on sexuality and can't seemed to get past being puritanical. We accept violence and women expressing their sexuality, but men, especially a gay man is taboo. Get over it. Adam is the most honest true to himself performer out there today. It was pure theater and Adam was playing the part beautifully. He is the most talented creative person on the music scene today. He was the first to admit his vocals were off as he got caught up in the moment and the acoustics all night were bad. Otherwise, he was amazing. He is so fierce and owns himself. a true free spirit. I so admire him. I only wish I could be just as fierce as he is. Adam is my ROCK/GLAM God. He was amazing and his vocals were perfect on the Early Show and David Letterman. He has nothing to prove as far as his voice. It is just plain AMAZING!!!!

November 27, 2009 at 12:44 am | Report abuse |
  27. Karena

Oops....regarding Eminem and 50Cent...it was the duet with the two of them, and it was Slim Shady's character that had the "17 rapes under his belt"....not 50Cent.

November 26, 2009 at 11:53 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Damn_Gina

Anisa you hit nail on the head... bravo and thank you so much, I feel exactly the same.

November 26, 2009 at 11:47 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Devy

I love all of his arguments. Very sharp, strong, and insightful. Adam is a genius, but not about strategy, just about his music and his performance.

November 26, 2009 at 11:46 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Amanda

This is a perfect article! So true! Adam is SOOO refreshing! I LOVE his music because he sings it with such passion. He gets overcome (ie the AMAs) with the emotion of the performance and it is contagious! He feels every note he sings and makes me feel them too. What makes him so brilliant is the fact that he doesn't pick songs to sing because he wants to gain as many followers as possible. It's not about picking what will be popular with the world. Adam sings the songs he does because they mean something to him and that is intriguing. I already know what I like but to know and understand what Adam likes makes it so much more interesting to follow! He exposes me to music and artistic performances that I never would have had the opportunity to explore and that's what makes him so special musically. Not that this isn't plenty of a reason to become obsessed with him but what seals the deal for my "obsession" is his personality. He has such an interesting view on life. We can learn alot from him as a person. He is comfortable in his own skin and doesn't feel like he needs to play nice with everyone yet he is one of the most giving and nice guys out there! The charity challenge where he asked him fans to contribute to music education instead of his jewelry collection is just one example of that. I truly feel the world needs someone like Adam and I can't wait to see what else he will open my eyes to. Thanks Adam you truly are a beautiful soul!

November 26, 2009 at 11:36 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Shaan Husain

Genius? Albert Einstein is a genius. Michael Jackson is a genius, but associating the word genius with the name Adam Lambert is a bit of an overstatment. He's no pioneer of the music industry, instead, he's just the latest new controvercial act to steel the spotlight. You act like from day one, Lambert had this amazing "master plan" and through the use different media sources, he executed it to perfection. He's no genius, he just has good people around him that saw oppurtunity knocking. C'mon, this is the oldest trick in the book, everyone knows that sex and controversy sell. All Lambert has is his voice and his looks, everything else is controlled by people around him, all he has to do is show up. Don't get me wrong, Im not taking away the fact the he is a very talented artist, but to as far as to say that he is a genius is a little much. Twenty years from now, people will still be using Einstein's theory of relativity, and litttle kids will still be trying to learn how to do the "moonwalk". I highly doubt that in the year 2029 people will be talking about the homosexual runner-up from Idol that caught hell for a performance on primetime television. His fifteen minutes are almost up. As soon as Eminem releases his new album, that we all know will be filled with dry humor, and rude inuendos, Lambert will be a thing of the past......HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!

November 26, 2009 at 10:59 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Shar

I have been furious at ABC for cancelling Adam's concert. How 1950's of you ABC. I will never watch you network again, as a protest for you weak and discriminatory statement and actions. What some people may not have realized is that most of these complaints aren't really coming from anyone other than jealous fans of others and haters who sit in their basements 24/7 and spew vile all over the internet. I know for a fact that some of those complaints to ABC were from imposters whose only objective was to try and destroy an openly gay man's career. I found several comments on internet sites from some idol fans (not Adam's) planning their campaign to bash Adam's performance just to help sales of their idol and were dumb enough to state the idol's name with their comment. It's too bad our society is so quick to judge before learning facts or taking time to see the ulterior motives of others. Adam is here to stay and all this backlash may just backfire against the haters.

November 26, 2009 at 10:52 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Bruce k

This sentence in the article holds true: "For people who have actually followed Adam, it's hard to believe that anyone could really be "shocked" by his performance at the American Music Awards." For the true followers of Adam they knew the true person BEFORE American Idol. Adam has ALWAYS been the wild idol..the wild child. His fans knew this while he was on American Idol that's why he had such a devoted fan base. Anyone who had an Internet could check out his pre-idol performances such as Crawl Thru Fire and know this was not your typical Idol contestant and sorry we are not in Arkansas anymore. His fans knew all his work before Idol and that body of work highlighted a performer with a wild edge and a performer who was very liberated and didn't give a damn. Check out Crawl Thru Fire for youself and maybe you won't be as shocked about the AMA's.

November 26, 2009 at 10:44 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Rita

Quoting Kara after Adam's "Ring of Fire" performance on AI which could also apply to his FYE performance on AMA awards show: "I got my drama that I love from you, I got those eyes, it was strange but I kinda liked it, it left me confused and sort of happy". Adam is staying true to himself and has proven not to be a puppet. I pity the haters with such closed minds who will not experience this iconic performer's CD, which has 14 number one hits and showcases several genres of music.

November 26, 2009 at 10:36 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Jenn

Thank You for the artical. May this Grandmother say a few things...first off and formost the idea of people getting mad because their kids saw what Adam did repulses Me to no end, I myself knew his performance could of been over the top because of two reasons 1-Adam has said time and time again hes a glam rocker and likes being over the top 2-The anouncer at the AMAs pimped Adam even to the point that they said His over the top performance!!... now for these reasons I just stated I put MY grandaughter to bed at 8:30 MT surprise!!...(it pays to think and listen) she asked why and I told her it may not be a performance she is old enough to watch. now I do not know what planet some people are on but if they watch talk shows they should know that instead of tweens and teens having sex the thing now they are having oral sex to quote unqouote because to thm its not having sex per say so do not tell Me these tweens did not know it already..if the parents do not know this they should,(for their kids sake)
    Adamis a kind person with a wonderful soul So He got over excited and did some things(like they wern't being done before He did his that night) Get over it people!! Buy His CD and I promise you You will not be disapointed....I love Adam for His talent.. not for wnat He does or what people thing he ought to do...Isn't that what We all are supposed to do?

November 26, 2009 at 10:32 pm | Report abuse |
  36. NiNi

Thanks for the great article! I agree with everything you said! I think we will following Adam Lambert for years to come too!! He is a very talented artist with a lot of charisma.

November 26, 2009 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Johanne

Two guys French kissed on Quebec french TV Prime Time during one of the major award shows, nobody gave a crap about it. I have seen male front nudity and hot love scenes in movies on TV. They Gay Pride Parade is a parade like any other parade and one of the most attended as the most fun!

I looked at some European sites and they are stunned that guns are OK, violence is fine but on stage, Janet crotch grabbing and Gaga booth smashing is OK but simulation of sexuality (not even real sexuality) is not! MAD WORLD indeed! Only in the USA,

November 26, 2009 at 10:08 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Dan D.

My only issue with the performance was that Adam sounded nervous, causing him to hit some weird notes. The song For Your Entertainment itself is great and the new video is fantastic. Why don't you go check it out, listen to his voice and then judge the song and the singer? celebglitz.com/37505/Celebrity-Gossip/adam-lambert-for-your-entertainment-music-video.aspx

Adam performed live on American Idol without hitting a bad note, he performed live all summer long on tour to rave reviews in every single city the Idols performed. This was but one performance – no one is 'on' 100% of the time. At least he didn't lip synch like many of the performers that night.

As far as the sexual elements of his act – I had no problem with them at all. The actions fit the song. He sings a variety of types of songs, this was just one side of him and does not define him as an artist.

November 26, 2009 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Blondiegrrl

Wow! This is one of the best commentaries I have read on Adam. Nice to see that you "get" him. He is brilliant. Instead of falling in line with everyone else, he has chosen to make his own path. He is a trailblazer; combined with that mad talent, he will be unstoppable.

November 26, 2009 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
  40. JJ

Excellent article and I totally agree!! I also think Adam Lambert is a rising star and we will be seeing a lot of him. He has an amazing talent so all you ultra conservative people better grab on to something because you are in for a wild ride. I for one am happy to be on the ride with him. I do want to say I think it was shameful for ABC to cancel his performance and then in the same week book Chris Brown who beat his gf to a pulp. Way to go ABC. Violence is ok but sexuality is not. I hope your double standards cause lots of trouble for you in the future.

November 26, 2009 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Donna

Adam didn't kill anybody, BUT, hate and prejudice kill people everyday in this country. 1500 people emailed complaints, you can't convince me that 1500 remotes were broken. And to the parents that were upset that their kids saw his performance, HELLO, it was 10:55 pm, pray tell what were your kids doing up at that hour when they had school the next day, no wonder the kids are doing so poorly in school. ABC has a lot of nerve, their afternoon soaps are raunchy. ABC found his performance in poor taste and canceled him and then the bone heads turn around and book Chris Brown, who was charged with felony assault, It appears that ABC has no problems with someone who almost killed his girlfriend, their logic is sick. Adam is a fine man and he did nothing wrong, it's not that deep.

November 26, 2009 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Jordan L

This article is spot on. Thank you for finally getting down to the sane truth about Adam and his performance. He is a rising rock star and l look forward to seeing much more from him. People having a fit over his AMA performance, need to relax and focus more on their own lives and hobbies.

November 26, 2009 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Jo

Awesome, excellent, thank you!!! THIS is the kind of recognition Adam deserves from the media! What ABC/GMA did to Adam was unbelievable and just plain wrong..especially in light of this new hot topic–that they WILL in fact be having Chris Brown on their show. Hmmm.
    I absolutely agree with everything you have to say, and i thank you again for saying it. This has all been blown entirely out of proportion, people need to relax. if you don't like it, don't look at it. As for the kids–Adam's right–HE is not responsible for them. It was late-night, put your kids in bed or change the channel after witnessing the first thing you don't like. Don't watch the ENTIRE perfomance w/ur kids and then file complaints. That doesn't make sense. It just makes the 'parenting' seem bad.

November 26, 2009 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
  44. it_will_be_OK

Anisa Husain great read:

I am old enough to remember when Elvis Presley came on the scene. America was "shocked" and he was censored on TV. Had a nickname of "Elvis the pelvis". Didn't hurt him much. Does this brew-ha-ha sound familiar with Adam.

As a mother of a son Adam's age I was a little surprised, but not "shocked" by the AMA, but certainly not going to stop being a fan. If you listened to any of his post AMA interviews he explained himself very eloquently. He did admit getting carried away and it was not prime time TV. He will learn and grow from this experience. And for ABC to say he doesn't know the difference between a late night performance and early morning one is absurd – and only using it as an excuse. Adam did the ABC GMA early show this summer and was outstanding. Also, he instead performed yesterday on the CBS Early Morning Show and did a great interview and sang two songs from his album with his band. He also sang last night on David Letterman.

In regard to fans – Adam most likely did loose some AI fans that only want the boy next door Adam and didn't research his per-idol music or performances. But here's the thing, for every fan he lost, more took their place. Especially among people that never heard of him before. It is a demographic shift. His twitter account alone jumped by 10K followers in the two days after the AMA performance. His album sales have been rising on the charts, as are the singles from the album for download. Everybody is talking about him pro and con.

So no, ladies and gentlemen, in a funny way this is actually going to launch him to stardom even faster. Just like the greats that came before him shrouded in controversy. He will be fine. I love his music and he has outstanding vocal skills.

Let's all get back to the important issue – his great music!

November 26, 2009 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Gaby

I am an international fan of Adam in Mexico. Although I found the AMAs performance somehow racy it is in no way deserving of all this going on.
    Living in a country in which drugdealers and their violence own our streets, how heavenly would be to trade them for gays and lesbians kissing in the park...I am more offended by Rhiannas showcase of weapons...I'm straight mother of three, I watched AMAs with my 14 yr old son we had a talk afterwards on oral sex, I am my son guidance , Adam just brought the talk up

November 26, 2009 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
  46. glambert2215

Thank you for the article. I loved the performance. Adam did what he intended, he entertained us. His new album "For Your Entertainment" is available now and it's amazing. Adam's vocals are truly beautiful.

November 26, 2009 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Kathy

"He does what he wants, and he doesn't care who he offends. To me, that sounds like a true rock star in the making."

I agree! Adam is the real deal!!!

Thanks for the great article!

November 26, 2009 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Sabrina

I totaly applaud you and agree with you on this article. During the Idol season Adam revealed his sexism and acted sexy as hell and noone had a problem with it, we all know hes sexual acts during touring of AI, wouman and man all they could talk was about how sexy he is and having Adamgasms, but they were shocked at Ama's, why? That was the same Adam they cheered for months, they through bras and panties on stage directly at him, what happened here, why the controversy. As for ABC's hypocricy, they have a nerve to complain, they promote one of the sexiest and erotic shows on prime tv"Dancing with the start" all the leg and ass grabbing, sexy outfits, (practicaly naked) they had Shakira on same show moaning and groaning to a provocative sexy dance but its ok because she's a female, I see a double standard here and I'm a female myself, now we find out they booked Chriss Brown the female beater and abuser for their GMA performance next month but they boot Adam, one of the best voices of all times, shame on you ABC, and shame on you back stabbing fans.
    Adam, you rock, may god bless you and the talent he gave you.

November 26, 2009 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
  49. No comment

Nice to see someone put things in perspective. Adam is great!

November 26, 2009 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Zayda

Adam Lambert has opened my eyes....it may be 2009 but we have not come very far in the acceptance of our differences...very sad. The positive is that I've discovered an amazing new talent that makes me want to listen to music again...thanks Adam!

November 26, 2009 at 8:13 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Eli

Adam Lambert is a tremendously talented singer, even if that did not come through during his AMA performance due to sound system and other problems. Don't write him off just yet, but give him another chance to prove how talented he is. I believe he should be forgiven for his lapse in judgment during his over-hyped debut performance. He was motivated by the lyrics of the song, which he didn't write. The song is about S&M and he dramatized that in his performance. He was not "pushing an agenda" and he was not dramatizing his own life and character. It was a SONG. He performs other songs entirely differently. He really has a beautiful personality and is a kind, generous, and humble man. He is proud to be gay and that is how it should be.

November 26, 2009 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
  52. adamaniac85

Seriously, people are acting as if Adam killed puppies on stage or something. So he was a little sexual, nothing more than the makeout scene I saw on General Hospital the other day, and that show comes on at 3pm. How about all those commercials for KY and condoms on tv and all the shows that promote sex between teens. Or the great Miley doing a pole dance or posing in inappropriate pictures. Besides kids should not have been able to watch most of the AMAs a lot of the performances contained adult content. And for the adult who say they were offended, then why did you continue to watch and why are you putting any more effort into going everywhere and posting ugly comments and giving Adam even more attention. BTW on the Sirius XM radio interview he said Thanks for that. Adam Rocks, and he aint going no where. He has a HUGE and very dedicated fan base.

November 26, 2009 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Lil

Thank you for the article. I was so shocked and outraged @ Showbiz tonight's "official" take that I felt compelled to give you my 2 cents. I applaud you for taking a stand on the issue. After the one-sided comments and the extremely edited comments which were shown on the program, I decided to never ever watch it again and i have been a regular viewer for many years now. Adam is Adam and you either love him or hate him. I am hoping to be entertained by him for years to come, and this one misstep should now be put behind us now and the small-minded peons complaining about the AMAs need to get a life, go for a hike or get out of their villages and discover the world is round.
    Thank you!
    PS even my friends in Germany who have never ever heard of him now not only know about him, but are also getting his CD.

November 26, 2009 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
  54. otulissa

That article was spot on. It's not only the kiss and the incrdible double standard being portrayed as all the other stuff that went on that night seems to be OK

It's also that now people are taking offence with the fact that Adam said "I'm a performer, not a babysitter" He's right too. He was performing close to 11pm at night & after all that had gone on before who could be shocked by Adam's performance? Homophobic morons, that's who!

Adam held his head up high on CBS's Early Show yesterday and sang, with that marvelous voice that he has, 2 incredible songs off his album. He was gracious, handsome, charming and last but not least ,he entertained us with his performance. a performance perfectly suited for a morning show.

For unlike GMA ,who was afraid Adam would do something racy, forgetting about his wonderful acoustic version of Starlight in their summer concert series, Adam Lambert knows to what audience he is playing to and will perform appropriately.

November 26, 2009 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Margaret

His name is Kris Allen, and that was rude.

Just because Adam is amazingly talented and culturally relevant and generally fabulous and deserving of a spotlight doesn't mean you need to disrespect a really great, talented, wonderful singer-songwriter, which is what Kris is. Though I agree with what you said about Adam, ending your article with a dig against Kris is vapid and unkind. And Adam would be the first to agree with me and you know it.

November 26, 2009 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Rianna

I love and support Adam Lambert for not only his incredible vocals but also for taking the entertainment risks that only female artists have been able to get away with. I wouldn't change a thing about him, and if you haven't bought FYE you are certainly missing out. The album is excellent!

November 26, 2009 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Doris

I am what most folks would call a very mature woman. I have seen a lot of changes in entertainment through the years. Elvis was censored for his pelvic thrusts and Michael had that and the crotch-rabbing. Then, of course there was the Madonna things and Rosanne & Muriel Hemingway thing. And, all the other women that have been doing it for years. We all have our choices in life and if one is sooo offended, why not just turn off your TV? I really enjoyed his performance. Why don't we just stop discriminating against this EXTREMELY GIFTED, TALENTED MAN!!!!

November 26, 2009 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  58. AsiaFan

OK, Adam got canceled on ABC for all of this–then guess who ABC replaced him with-Chris Brown! A gay guy in a three piece suit and tie making suggestive moves is outrageous and a convicted felon who beats up girls ok?

November 26, 2009 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  59. chika

Get the FYE cd everyone...it's awesome!!!
    Rock on Adam!

November 26, 2009 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Susan

Anyone who has followed Adam during and since Idol has seen all his prior performance including at Zodiac (Crawl Thru Fire) which was much the same performance as the AMAs! These kid fans that everyone is so worried about including Brook Anderson from Showbiz Tonight have googled him, watched, took in all the fans loving Adam's body parts and not a word was said. But all of a sudden his fantastic artistic rendition of his new single FYE has outraged people? Give me a break. Adam has always let us know what kind of a performer he wants to be. He knows who he is and owns it. Unfortunately some people want to put him and keep him in this cookie cutter image of theres that belongs in Idol bubble. Well, hes out the box peeps, either hes for you or not. Move on if you have to cuz I am here for the long fun ride. Adam is a super talent that isnt going away soon. Like you said, America spoke and didnt pick him, they picked that other guy, Kris who? Adam belongs to the World now and Im loving it. Just worry about what message Rhianna's guns, and Gagas whiskey and violence. and Eminem's bragging of rapes is doing to your kids. Double Standard anyone? Of course there is and also discrimination cuz Adam is gay and a guy. If you are no longer his fan why do you insist on seeking out and posting on articles of him.

November 26, 2009 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Nicole

I agree with Chris, beautiful spoken....
    Adam Lambert has the same right as any other performer to express his artistic talent. IMO a Kiss is something positive (Kissing a woman, a men or kissing somebody of the same sex is nothing to be ashamed off). Don't understand the buzz around it.
    Adam Lambert is a very talented man with an impeccable voice.

November 26, 2009 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Debra R

If he wants to be known as a singer, then he should sing. If he had any talent, he would not need the eyeliner or porn moves. Now he is whining it is because he is homosexual. Enjoy your 15 minutes Adam, pretty soon you be just another trivia question.

November 26, 2009 at 8:47 am | Report abuse |
  63. Chris

Congratulation Adam Lambert! I had heard of you, but knew nothing of your music. I have heard your name so much lately that I might buy some. The performance was not offensive, and if parents are concerned about children having seen it, have they ever heard of the V-chip or taking away the remote control? I agree it was not for small kids, but they should be watching the Disney channel or PBS anyway!
    Does anybody remember Madonna's Erotica tour? During that time all of her performances were filled with sexuality, but I don't remember all the complaints or hearing her apologize for them. She was even photographed naked on public streets. Maybe Adam pushed some peoples limits, but nothing ever changes in society unless people are pushed to see that all people are equal and should be treated as such. Most mainstream performers don't put on their acts for small children either.
    Keep up the good work Adam! Those of you that were offended, open your minds and try to treat every performer with equal respect even if you don't necessarily agree with them. The world will be a better place.

November 26, 2009 at 3:51 am | Report abuse |
  64. Bethany

Adam is an extraordinary talent. We all just wanted to hear him sing. The theatrics deterred his performance and his vocals were not the primary focus but rather shock therapy instead. I prefer to enjoy this talented person and as many fans we dont need the theatrics – However with that said, Adam will showcase himself to all and this is just the beginning. I wish he would sing Queen and then we would have forgotten the rest or kiss and listened to his vocals. He threw his fans a curve and all he needs is our support to see what evolves next. If he sang rock n roll self no one would be discussing the kiss.

November 26, 2009 at 1:18 am | Report abuse |
  65. trish

My 'bone to pick' isn't about the stupid kiss–good grief! It's the fact that he took decades of work by those of us who fought against stereotyping, and in less than 3 mins. he made every gay become the sex crazed idiot we fought so hard to change!
    As a 'gay-american" I'm ticked!! Your singing was awful. The performance was nothing I haven't seen Mick Jagger or any other rock star do before–its that, instead of using being gay as a chance to show people WE ARE JUST PEOPLE--you spat in our faces! And spit on everything we have taken years to try and accomplish. And wtf does Perez Hilton know about anything? Yet another person FAMOUS for doing absolutely nothing!

November 26, 2009 at 1:07 am | Report abuse |
  66. Jessica

OKAY this has annoyed the hell out of me all day. Adam was not offensive! I love lady gaga and she is also a break out star who is very dramatic with her performances... very sexual..she looked nude and danced provocative & broke liquor bottles... Adam was performing! If you dont like see sex on TV throw your TV in the trash... Its obvious this is a man kissing a man thing... also the reason he only won 2nd place on AI. GET OVER IT America! He's talented ... and performed like everyone does... I guess Americas only okay with women kissing on TV ... with the britney Madonna kiss... it was only a shock that britney seemed too innocent,.. the christina kiss was almost invisible to the public... and yet no one was concerned with the fact it was some girl on girl action... not to mention th fact that madonna is twice those girls age.. still didnt seem to concern America... and brit and christina are also straight .. so it was clearly a STUNT ... ADAM was just being who he is!!! this is an obvious SLAM saying we dont want to see two men kiss.. IT WAS THE KISS showbiz tonight... I completely disagree with your closed minds! GO ADAM you have my support...

November 26, 2009 at 12:51 am | Report abuse |
  67. Barb

Thanks for your sensible thoughts on this whole thing. Who would have guessed that people would have made such a BIG deal out of a three minute song. I had seen a night of crotch grabs, grinding, guns on stage, songs being bleeped out because of the horrible lyrics, whiskey bottles being broken by a woman that was basically nude, and we're upset by Adam. I am happy that you have had the courage to look at it logically. I have just really been FURIOUS about the coverage that Showbiz Tonight is giving this.......if they are so grossed out by his performance......stop showing it and freeze framing it. Showing only bits of his interview from today, and focusing on two statements he made.........ridiculous. Show the clips of him singing his face off with two songs on there today.Good Lord ........how dare you not show his talent and make it understood why everyone loves his voice so much. Very talented man...........thanks for you candor.

November 26, 2009 at 12:47 am | Report abuse |
  68. terry

Big freaking deal! He's a singer who's getting publicity, what else is new? If you don't like him, then don't watch him or buy his music. People are such babies today.

November 25, 2009 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Shan

I think it's important to remember that you need to take baby steps when introducing something so controversial. Throwing unfamiliar, unpopular things in the faces of Americans is just going to piss them off and hurt your cause. And yes, Adam does have a cause. If he didn't, he would have stayed in the closet. I fear we may have lost some ground after that performance, which is disappointing.

November 25, 2009 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Michael

I thought his singing stunk. We should of had a real singer who could rock it.

November 25, 2009 at 8:10 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Matt

This whole thing has been blown way out of proportion, and Adam has a right to defend himself and to claim that this is discriminatory and a double-standard. About ten years ago, I watched Janet Jackson in a concert pull a man from the audience up on stage, give him a velvet-rope lap dance, ask "do you want to know what my tongue tastes like," and proceed to show him exactly what her tongue tasted like. How is Adam's performance, ten years later, any different? He's absolutely right that the "outrage" stems from his homosexuality, and performers have been doing far worse than this for years. Adam, you go get 'em.

November 25, 2009 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse |
  72. annie

Sure--Adam has every right to be Adam-in any way he chooses. Just like Kelly Clarkson had every right to dump her producer and make a record like she wanted. And we consumers have the right to say it may be who you are but I'm not buying it. Kelly sure changed her mind. Maybe Adam won't....and he won't also be on my Christmas list.
    (and it's not the gay part--it was a frantic, disjointed, unecessarily sexual graphic performance-I waited through the whole AMA's for it and turned it off half way through...I didn't even see the pantamimed oral sex part. It was just plain bad music and performance.

November 25, 2009 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Mary W. Black

I agree with every word. His rendition of Mad World made me stand up in my own living room and applaud and I live alone..What an amazing talent this kid is!

November 25, 2009 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |