November 23rd, 2009

'Seinfeld' reunion not quite 'iconic'

Larry David and the cast of 'Seinfeld'
Larry David and the cast of 'Seinfeld'

Sunday night's season finale of "Curb Your Enthusiasm" brought us the long-awaited "Seinfeld" reunion (though it was actually the final part of several episodes throughout the season). And the one thing that can't be denied is that the cast got back into character without missing a beat. There was something magical about watching the same people on the same set reciting some very "Seinfeld"-ian lines.

However, it has to be asked: Would this have worked as an actual "Seinfeld" reunion, and not bits and pieces of one worked into "Curb?" Probably not. The references to iPhones, Blackberries and Bernie Madoff seemed a little forced and very little of the "show-within-a-show" made me laugh out loud. At the same time, it was still better than the "Seinfeld" series finale - which Larry David, the character, and Larry David, the actual person, continue to defend, even against Jerry Seinfeld himself.

Having said that... as an episode of "Curb Your Enthusiasm," the show was great. The season-long plot line of Larry trying to cast his ex-wife to play George's ex-wife, followed up with Jason Alexander actually trying to steal her away from him was genius. Despite his non-"iconic" status, as Jerry described it, it was pretty hilarious seeing Larry try to play George when Jason briefly dropped out. Larry's obsession with trying to catch who left a coffee cup stain on Julia Louis-Dreyfus' table ("Do you respect wood?"), was classic "Curb," and got the biggest laughs out of me.

Whether taken as a "Seinfeld" reunion, or just a very good episode of "Curb," at least it leaves "Seinfeld's" legacy on a higher note than it was when the show actually ended, and gives us a nice glimpse of what would have happened to these characters 11 years later.

What did you think? Did you enjoy the "Seinfeld" reunion itself more than I did? What did you think of this "Curb" season as a whole? Sound off on video, or in the comments below.

« Previous entry
  1. Joe Harris

Why no Spin off of The Costanza's, they were great. Also Im sorry but every comedy that I have witnessed over the years it wasnt the shows star that got the most laughs but the co-stars. Lucy got on my nerves in I Love Lucy but Fred and Ricky were great. In The Andy Griffith Show it was Don Knotts that stole the most laughs. In Leave It To Beaver, Eddie Haskel and in Seinfeld, how many Emmy's did Michael Richardson get in his 9 year rein as well as the girl that played Elaine, she has been constantly working ever since, what happen to the other cast members, see my point.

April 19, 2012 at 5:58 am | Report abuse |
  2. shirley

I like the show ,Larry is a funny man, i laugh hard every time i watch
    the show, and i am very hard to please.

November 24, 2009 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Daniel

Bring back Seinfeld. PLEASE!!

November 24, 2009 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Charles

I love me some Lassie Mavin!

November 24, 2009 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
  5. Abacab

Only one word to describe Larry David: GENIUS!!

November 24, 2009 at 8:27 am | Report abuse |
  6. Jim

..but what was up with Elaine's hair? Ugh....

November 23, 2009 at 11:00 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jim

It was Seinfeld, it was funny, shut up...

November 23, 2009 at 10:58 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Firial S

My son got me hooked on the show!, I can't stop watching I love this guy he is so hilarious!

November 23, 2009 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Newman

Another immediately classic phase has entered out Seinfield lexicon - having said that -

My only disappointment – no Frank.

November 23, 2009 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Joe F

Larry David is a great comedian and Jerry Seinfeld is a great comedian but together, they are brilliant beyond compare.

They are the Lennon & McCartney of comedy.

November 23, 2009 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Nicole

The final episode was "iconic". Having said that, the Seinfeld cast was nothing short of brillant!!

November 23, 2009 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Tom Dee - East Haven, CT

Larry David is a comic genius! I thought it was a fantastic episode, and amazing to see the cast of seinfeld fall into place so naturally. Seinfeld really was the best sitcom TV has seen at this point! The whole cast deserves credit for a job very well done! Thank you for the laughs! I still laugh when I watch seinfeld reruns and am not looking forward to the day it finally goes off the air!

November 23, 2009 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Rick

Wish they would have a REAL Seinfeld reunion! Loved it!

November 23, 2009 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  14. YolkyPalky

Please come back again for another season! This is by far the funniest show on television! Just brilliant comedy all the way around! COME BACK PLEASE!

November 23, 2009 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  15. dave fairall

An iconic episode, pretty pretty pretty good.

November 23, 2009 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Please!

I missed the show, who did Michael Richards call the N-word to in the episode?

November 23, 2009 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  17. PEDegan

Jerry's hair looks now much like it did in the Seinfeld episode "The Barber".

November 23, 2009 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  18. TJ

"Having said that..." Good one.

November 23, 2009 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  19. jason

now the true question is, will there be another season of curb? Can LD match this season high caliber?

November 23, 2009 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Stephanie Stoffel

I loved the whole season, but I especially loved seeing the Seinfeld cast back together again. It was a great end to the season.

November 23, 2009 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Miracle

Gold Jerry, Gold

November 23, 2009 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Lulubell

I don't think the finale was up to par, considering the last episode (Donny Duberstein) was hysterical. The way they dealt with Michael Richards issue..spot-on.

The show is Genius.
    Bravo LD

Bravo.

November 23, 2009 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Genie

It was great! Hate to see it end.

November 23, 2009 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  24. PDX Matt

It was the best Jerry, the best.

November 23, 2009 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Mike Zimmerman

Enjoyed the season of David/Seinfeld reunion. My favorite episode this season was The Black Swan! Although the Wheelchair episode and Officer Krupke also very enjoyable. Every season I am amazed at the way Larry David can grab those mundane things we all put up with and make them very hilarious.

November 23, 2009 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Kevin T. Baldwin

This was great. Very tight. I was feeling a little (repeat little)
    disappointed in the very very end of the show (oddly enough
    I felt the same reaction to the last few minutes of an otherwise
    outstanding "Seinfeld" finale) but otherwise I was happy for
    Larry & Cheryl.

Every time I saw Richards with L.D. I harked back to 1981-82
    and their show "Fridays", which was ABCs answer to "SNL".
    In that same year SNL featured a very young Julia Louis-Dreyfus
    (along with her future husband Brad Hall). A lot of the cast
    members from both of those old shows appeared in Seinfeld
    episodes. Larry really is a loyal person, as somebody recently
    pointed out.

One of Richards and L.D.'s more memorable sketches
    on "Fridays" dealt with the founding fathers discussing
    the "Right to Bear Arms". I don't know whether Larry David
    wrote the sketch, but if so, this writing ranks right up there
    with his best work on either "Seinfeld" or "Curb".

November 23, 2009 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Mark Siegel

The finale of this season's "Curb," indeed the entire series, is a brilliant example of post-modern TV in which the show's main focus is the blending of fiction and reality - Larry David playing a character called Larry David.

For me the real genius of the series is David's ability to look clearly at the barriers created by cultural taboos - race, sex, class, and more. Then, he violates those taboos to jarring, hilarious effect. And he does so without a hint of sentimentality anywhere.

I hope the show continues, but I doubt it will.

November 23, 2009 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  28. The guide collector

I am still crazy about elaine. But what exactly did kramer get paid for?

November 23, 2009 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Steve in SB

What started out (Curb) to prove that Larry David was the genius behind Sienfeld (and not getting the acclaim he felt was deserved) has become the funniest, and most unpredicatable HBO series. The reunion episodes were sheer genius. Yes Larry, you da man! You have made your point over and over. What a creative and quirky guy. We luv ya, and hope you keep the show going longer than Oprah has been on TV.

November 23, 2009 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  30. john

I loved it. Watched it twice. Just watching Jerry and Larry interact is the whole foundation for Seinfeld the show. Even at the reading, classic characters like Kenny Bannya and George's mom where there. As a Seinfeld fanatic, I couldn't have been any better. I agree with earlier comment, that if the show were to start up again, it would still be #1 in ratings. Some people get Seinfeld and Curb and some don't. Is it a lack of intelligence or a lack of sarcasm that keeps one from understanding these shows? Probably a little of both!

November 23, 2009 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Amanda Fipp

I thought it was a brilliant, witty episode last night! Honestly even better than I expected. I have watched all seasons of "Curb Your Enthusiasm" and this season was truly genius with weaving in the "Seinfeld" reunion! Pretty pretty pretty good!

November 23, 2009 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  32. 365daysofCurb

I love them all – thought this was terrific, but I did want to see more of Leon. The whole season was amazing and didn't let me down.
    A much better finale than what they did on Seinfeld. That was a bomb.
    Bravo Larry!!

November 23, 2009 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Charlie

I loved the "iconic" last episode. Larry finally admitting that he is (was) George was hilarious! Best season ever of Curb!

November 23, 2009 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Chris Lyons

Loved it. every second of this season. Larry is an astonishing blend of George and Jerry. But the high-water mark was Michael Richards addressing his nightclub demons last week. Very brave and very funny. This show is as good as TV gets. Brave and honest.

November 23, 2009 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
  35. jgny

Boring, period. The laughs were lacking, the acting UGH. and only Jerry seems to look less aged. The rest have clearly gotten Old. As for David, what a drull and boring person.

November 23, 2009 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Lara

Absolutely fabulous!!!

November 23, 2009 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Robert L

"Curb" is, by far, the best written show on TV. I loved this season and just sorry it ended so quickly. I hope they come back and do another season.

November 23, 2009 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
  38. DisturbedCurb

I actually liked the way Larry and his ex-wife got together at the end. Especially with the tinted windows and how he quit the show, it was very anti-Larry. It was a great ending to Seinfeld.

November 23, 2009 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Abby

It was great. Much better than a true "reunion". Larry David is getting better and better with each "Curb" season. Larry David always comes through for me to point out the "vain and trivial" in our lives.

November 23, 2009 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Monique Lalonde

Larry David is a comedic genius. I will really miss my Sunday night Curb Your Enthusiasm episodes, but hopefully he will get busy on another project for TV.

I absolutely loved the last show. Funny and oh so Larry.
    I will now have to enjoy my favorite show by watching them on my DVD collection. Another great TV era comes sadly to an end.

November 23, 2009 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  41. jg

Well, my favorite character, Suzie, got the biggest laughs from me when she told Larry off for scolding her about the coffee ring on her own table. Even though she had one line in the final episode, it was classic Suzie and she is the hook for the show.

November 23, 2009 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  42. joseph tabak

thought it was hilarious. there is a chemistry between the cast, that no other show can match. Sorry to see then go.. These episodes are really about nothing, yet the are extremely funny Joe T

November 23, 2009 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  43. Mike

Pretty good, pretty, pretty, pretty good...ya gotta "respect the wood"...

November 23, 2009 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
  44. Deb

I loved being able to see the set of "Seinfeld" on Curb...the scene where Larry walks out Jerry's "door" and down the "hall" to go off set was fun. I agree that an actual "Seinfeld" reunion would not have worked; the bits and pieces of a would-be show worked beautifully. This Curb season was fabulous and ended appropriately for me. Having said that....HA!

November 23, 2009 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
  45. Dustin

Brilliant.

November 23, 2009 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  46. Lorraine Ginsberg

My husband and I loved the last Larry David show.Sorry to see it end.The very best one was the episode last week.We were just hysterical.He is the best.

November 23, 2009 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
  47. jefch

I agree that this probably wouldn't have worked as a Seinfeld reunion, as a matter of fact, I don't think any other "reunion" show, would have worked... so having had this as a theme of a Curb episode was great.
    It was indeed magic to have seen all the characters back again, and it was sad to realize how much I miss the show. Overall it was a great episode.

November 23, 2009 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  48. Karen Burstyn

I want Larry/Curb Your Enthusiasm back forever.

November 23, 2009 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
  49. florence nedell

This season I think they went over the top with the politically incorrect situations. ie: the wheelchair episode, and the disgusting joke including liver.otherwise it was ok.

November 23, 2009 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  50. Joey Bagadonuts

I felt the entire season of Curb was fantastic, including the last show. You do get the feeling that this is it. Larry has expelled all his demons regarding "tipping", of which were hilarious. The cast of Seinfeld came off great and all our other favorite characters, especially Funkhauser. And expressing the softer side of Larry at the very end and making up with Cheryl, left you wondering, will these two make it?

November 23, 2009 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
  51. Eric Littman

Pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty good.

November 23, 2009 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
  52. Williams

Very funny finale for Curb! It was good to see the Seinfeld cast again.

November 23, 2009 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
  53. CW

Loved this season! If you watch Jason Alexander and Jerry Seinfeld during the "reunion show" you see they fell right back into George and Jerry talking again and Michael Richards was just as animated as he was 10 years ago doing Kramer. Even though the show took place in the 90s, it felt like it never left.

I think they would still be number 1 on TV again if they came back.

November 23, 2009 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  54. Derek Vincent

Fantastic episode, Brilliant series, and devastating to see the finale in November. I want more!!

November 23, 2009 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |