November 20th, 2009

I remember Oprah

It seems ironic to me that it was this time of the year more than 30 years ago that I had my first “encounter” with Oprah Winfrey.

I was a little girl whose legs dangled off the pew when Winfrey appeared as a featured speaker on Sunday at my grandmother’s church in West Baltimore, Maryland. I immediately recognized her as an anchor on the local news station, WJZ, and I couldn’t believe that such a star would be standing in the pulpit of Whitestone Baptist Church.

Ordinarily church meant suffering through a sermon I didn’t understand and staring in awe at the women who – in their exuberance at being in the presence of the Holy Spirit – seemed to shout, sweat and dance the walls down.

But this Sunday I was mesmerized by Oprah.

Like any good storyteller, she started out slow, sharing tales of growing up first in Mississippi, then in Milwaukee and Tennessee. Like me, she loved to read and I felt like she was walking up and down my street when she recounted the many church plays and programs in which she had been called to perform.

I literally slid to the edge of the pew as Oprah told the tragic story of a slave woman who upon being revived from a vicious beating from her master thought she was seeing stars, only to realize it was salt on the ground which had been thrown on her lacerated back. The congregation moaned their pain and understanding of the hardships of life.

Then, just as smoothly as she had plunged us into the depths of despair, she raised us up again with the words of an ex-slave, Sojourner Truth, who at a Women’s Convention in Akron, Ohio, in 1851 asked “Ain’t I a woman?”

"If the first woman God ever made was strong enough to turn the world upside down all alone, these women together ought to be able to turn it back and get it right-side up again. And now that they are asking to do it, the men better let them,” Oprah said, reciting Truth’s words. It was the mid 1970s, and with the civil rights and women’s rights movements so fresh in everyone’s minds, the words seemed to ring with poignancy.

She encouraged us all to never let hardship sway us from our paths. I left the church that day amazed by what I had heard - and by Winfrey who, even then, seemed larger than life. My 8-year-old mind desired to further the connection I felt with the woman who was now my new hero.

I got it into my head that with her being so far away from her home in Tennessee, surely she would want to join my family for Thanksgiving dinner. So I waited until my grandmother drifted off to sleep one afternoon, and I looked up the phone number for WJZ-TV in the phone book.

Trying to sound as grown up as possible, I asked the station’s operator to connect me with Oprah Winfrey, planning to offer the invitation to the secretary such a celebrity must surely have working for her.

I was shocked when Oprah answered the phone.

My prepared words failed me and I instead stuttered out how much I had enjoyed her speech at Whitestone. “Awww, thank you honey,” Oprah replied, before I promptly hung up on her in my nervousness.

Years later, as a reporter at the Baltimore Sun, I shared that story with a colleague who was interviewing Oprah about her film “Beloved.” I explained how much the now hugely influential talk show host had inspired me as both a woman of color and a journalist.

When my friend later told me she had shared the story with Oprah during the interview and that Ms. Winfrey had expressed her delight at my words, I felt like I was once again that little girl, basking in the glow of my idol.

« Previous entry
  1. Carolae

I have never watched the OW show as I was always working during that time. I have to say that I admire her for what she has done over the years and that she has touched millions of people's lives over with her show. This woman has put aside her own personal life to help others over the years. Usually a mourning period begins when a person dies.....Oprah's show has over a year to go and people are blogging as if the show just ended! Simply amazing. I can't even imagine the blogging that will be going on once the shows does end in 2011. It's as though one must bow down and kiss her feet as though she is some kind of god......notice I used lower case in that word. Oprah is what she is and will always be loved and admired but not to the point where people are worshipping her and that is what it looks like after reading some of these blogs. She isn't going anywhere.....she still has her magazine and will now have a network of her own to run. If anyone wants to focus on something, focus on the big "G".....God.

November 23, 2009 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
  2. Gwen

Oprah is one of my greatest inspirations. Back in the late 80's I was going through a hard time and wanted a different perspective than from family/friends. She wrote back with sound advice. I can't believe, but then again, I can, the enormous amount of men who don't like her. Maybe because she's strong, intelligent, giving, caring and relates well with others. Men don't like strong women, even though they claim they do. I was accused once of having "Oprah Syndrome", because I have my own job, home, car and no kids. The broke, unintelligent, grouchy man (who at 40 something still lived with his mom) was upset because I didn't want him. Pitiful!!!

November 23, 2009 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
  3. MP

She's a narcissist. If anyone believes that she does anything that is not ultimately for her own glory, they're blind. She's an entertainer, foremost. I'll be glad I don't have to hear about her next weight loss "miracle" again, either. And again. And again.

November 23, 2009 at 8:47 am | Report abuse |
  4. Linda Fox

I'm a white, 67 yr. old female, and, to me, you are like one of my sisters. I am so proud of you and pray that you will remain an influence in the lives of everyone in the world that loves you. I pray for all good things in your life. Thank you for everything!

November 23, 2009 at 8:44 am | Report abuse |
  5. LoveAt350.com

I liked Oprah and I definately admire her, but it seems like women worship every breath that she takes.

November 23, 2009 at 8:37 am | Report abuse |
  6. Judee

I think this show has been one long therapy session for Oprah, and largely successful

November 23, 2009 at 7:58 am | Report abuse |
  7. mwangi

have watched oprah here in kenya.its been a great and lots of inspiration.the problem is that she needs to believe in God who is supreme,he's the one who has made here successful & its nice to admit that.

November 23, 2009 at 5:10 am | Report abuse |
  8. AJ

Can we get real here? She is not leaving until 2011!

November 22, 2009 at 11:33 pm | Report abuse |
  9. El Kev

Oprah is a cancer on society. She is a closet racist (why didn't she create a school in America?), extremely arrogant (her OWN network), hypocritical (claims to be proud of where she "came from," yet does all she can to brag about and flaunt her wealth and riches), and a selfish man hater (why not marry Stedman?; Why does she not allow many men in her audience?). I will be throwing a party the day she goes off the air. I actually wish I could get tickets to her final show so I could be there and watch her false tears for PR purposes and laugh.

November 22, 2009 at 10:49 pm | Report abuse |
  10. James

Memories of Oprah??? She'll be on until 2011 and then perhaps cable. The only reason she's dropping her TV show is due to dropping ratings. Her loyal fans over the years must be in their early 60's or more. Are we to be exposed to a daily sobfest until she bows out? Or is she competing for last show audience numbers with the likes of Carson, "M.A.S.H.", Olbermann, and others gone by the wayside?

November 22, 2009 at 10:33 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Lisa

I always thought Oprah was full of it. She was either on air whining about her weight or childhood abuse. I think she is a fraud and fooled many people into buying stuff they didn't need. I never understood why people were so quick to buy something because she endorsed it on her show. She certainly got paid for all those promotions.

November 22, 2009 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Mark Funkhouser

I remember watching an Oprah show back in the very early 90's where a woman named Trudi Chase was her guest. Trudi Chase had multiple personalities and I believe that while Oprah was interviewing her, Trudi went through at least five or six different personalities on air. During this interview, Oprah broke down herself as I felt for for the very first time the power she had. Oprah had admitted to being molested herself and I will never, ever forget the pain she shared with her audience that day. I felt as if she had reached out through the TV and made me feel as if I was in the room with her. With that story, I immediately was drawn to this amazing person. I wanted to move to Chicago and work for her. I didn't know what I would do but knew she had an amazing power. She will be missed...but something tells me she is planning something BIG.

November 22, 2009 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Daniel Araya

"I honestly thought Oprah was going to be on TV forever" now all of a sudden, when she announced the news, it created a big void on our mind. Without her and "The Oprah Show" it's really gonna be so boring, period.

It's funny, how I never thought about Oprah's show would end soon. It just shows, she's bigger than life and has been a role model for millions and millions in America and worldwide .... infact she is equally known and respected overseas.

Daniel Araya
    Los Angeles, CA

November 22, 2009 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
  14. LadyLascassas

For a second I thought Oprah had passed away what with "Memories" already. Lets not have a year of memories. If she wants to leave a lasting impression maybe she could use some of her wealth to help the schools in this country. She is a women who has done well for herself and nothing more.

November 22, 2009 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse |
  15. thomas

Her exit will make it hard for Obama to get re-elected!
    No TV host should have that much power for so long!

November 22, 2009 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Steven

I say good riddance, and it's about 10 years too late. I don't really have anything against Oprah herself, but I have never, ever understood this "cult of Oprah". Why do people place so much stock in what she says and does and believes? As far as I can tell, she has no particular talent, except for talking. She is not the second coming, although she and her supporters seem to think she is. I think a lot of it comes from Oprah herself-she always acts as if everything she says and does is world-shaking. Bye bye and don't let the door hit you on the way out.

November 22, 2009 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Fran

agree w/ amyinoaktown. Oprah has too much influence, kind of like a certain President I know!

November 22, 2009 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Michele Aitken

This whole thing is sooooo stupid. It isn't like she died, or anything. Her show is still on the air for another year and a half. People are acting as though she is already gone. This entire thing is just going to be ANOTHER Celebrity, unending farewell. Like the Judds, and Cher, and their "Farewell" tours. I have a feeling that Oprah's "Final Season", will last 5 years or longer!

November 22, 2009 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Dinah - Cyprus

I am a Dutch female national, not living in the U.S.
    After reading half of the above, mouth wide open, all I can say is that the majority of the messages posted are full of racist and degenerating content. Shame on you! Ultimately your children will pick this up and then you will moan 'how did we (as a country) get this far?'. For those who wave her a strong goodbye, you describe the show, the person quite well. So why can you? If you do not like a programme, simply change into one of the hundred other channels your country offers.

November 22, 2009 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Dann

This woman built a career on man-bashing in hear early years, and weepy confessionals in her later years. The message she's brought to women is, it's OK to be weak and weepy. She isn't any kind of inspiration; she legitimizes the idea of the woman as over-emotional train wreck. Any woman I've known who earns a decent wage or otherwise made her own way dislikes Oprah.

November 22, 2009 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Lakisha

I was totally turned off by her when she jumped into politics. She lost all credibility when she pulled that.

November 22, 2009 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Allison

Oprah, who??? Will she become Obama's " life coach" now? He sure needs some help with his ratings! Or maybe it's Oprah for President?Please tell me that we don't have to endure a whole year of MEMORIES!

November 22, 2009 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Ginny

Whatever will the Church of Oprah do now?

November 22, 2009 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Tonya

Oprah,

You have inspired me in so many ways. One thing is for sure you have both negative and positive comments about you on this board. As my mother put it "Either way you're on their mind" That's how I live my life.

November 22, 2009 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Jean in Wisconsin

Okay, she was a trailblazer in the beginning, but in the last few years has run her course. Please don't make it 18 months worth of good-byes as that will get old really fast!

November 22, 2009 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  26. ylcnnfan

I've watched Oprah since her show first aired. It was funny, informative, and at times heart wrenching. It was also was Jerry Springer-esque, narcissistic, and self-promoting. I think it is a little early to start mourning the end of the show when she still has a year and a half left. She has done a lot of good and entertained many, but it is her time to.

November 22, 2009 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  27. SD in North Dakota

I remember watching OPRAH since I was a little girl with my grandma. After my grandmother passed away I continued watching her and it made me feel as though I had a connection still with my grandmother through OPRAH. My grandma would always remind me of how smart of a woman Oprah was and what great success she had. I love how Oprah was so generous and saved kids and families that were suffering through hard times. Independence, caring, and self reliance – those are a few things she taught. I will miss her, but noo one will EVER take her place in television.

November 22, 2009 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  28. kathleen

I was a guest on Oprah's show in 1984, when it was still called "Chicago A.M., Oprah is now a very wealthy person, but her approach to her guests is still down to earth. After our interview, I told Oprah I was going to write a book and she encouraged me to do so.
    I called Harpo to ask if I could use Oprah's name in the book. Her publicist told me I couldn't use it to sell my book! I did send Oprah a book, but I am sure that she never had the opportunity to read it.
    Without her name, the book is still selling.
    I feel privileged to have been a guest on Oprah's show. I wish her a wonderful future.

November 22, 2009 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Kathy in Florida

Oprah, you were a great role model for women, all women, regardless of color or where you lived in this big world. Thanks again.....Will miss you...When one door closes, another door opens.

November 22, 2009 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Jay

Why do so many mindless women worship this this fake fat loud mouthed woman? Without that wig and makeup she's a site to behold – obese freckled faced...yuck! People just become obsessed with so-called celebrities. I don't get it. Everything little thing she does she makes sure it gets tons of attention so she can be worshipped even more. You should be giving accolades to the black single mom lunchroom lady with 3 kids at home, or the grandmother who's taken in dozens of kids over the years and raised them right. THESE are black women that deserve praise, not that ridiculous pompous woman who thinks her opinion is superior to the world's. Step aside Okra...maybe the next generation will provide a real role model that doesn't believe her own BS.

November 22, 2009 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  31. bill

I think it's time for Oprah to leave. She is no longer one of the regular people with her 50 million dollar homes. She's a big lover of Jesus, but in no way practices what she preaches. Sorry but the money she gives away doesn't make a dent in what she has and how much more she could be doing. She could live in one 5 million dollar home and save so many more children from poverty and abuse with the other 45 million – and she has hundreds of millions if not billions. I think she wants to hang on to her money so she can make Forbes richest people list. She's arrogant and has lost touch with the woman she used to be. Oprah, you can't take it with you.

November 22, 2009 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
  32. Blackcurry

I stopped watching her when she got into politics. She's not the second coming. She's just a talk show host and actress. Sure she's done some good things, but so have a lot of others. I much prefer Ellen Degeneres. Mother Theresa is a role model. Oprah? Not so much.

November 22, 2009 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
  33. laura

Really? We're remembering Oprah already? She's still here, people. Please tell me I don't have to endure a full year of this crap.

November 22, 2009 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  34. Jim

My memory of Oprah will always be asking her to air educational information on her show, reaching millions of watchers, during asthma month and being turned down. Next, asking her to use a part of her show to highlight asthma while she was in Kansas City, close to me, and again, being turned down. Turns out asthma education doesn't make much money and that's what this worthless woman is about. She had an opportunity to make a positive contribution to society instead of entertaining a bunch of stupid, television-crazed people by buying them cars and giving away idiotic gifts, but she didn't. Instead, she proved she could care less about those with asthma because the morons that watch her show wouldn't think it was very "Oprah-esque". I am very, very happy to see her go and can only hope I will never hear her name again.

November 22, 2009 at 8:58 am | Report abuse |
  35. pat joy

years and years ago, when oprah was on tv with richard sher in baltimore, md., there was a show with a child who had lost her leg/or legs to having the chicken pox. richard, in his brass, uncaring media minded manner asked this young girl to show the audience how she took off and put on her prostetic leg. the child was mortified, shaking and so very close to tears of embarrassment. oprah came to her rescue asking another question leading her away from that subject and helping her out of a situation no child that age should have been in. I have held her in the most respect ever since seeing her compassion and caring and understanding and acting on it all.

November 22, 2009 at 7:46 am | Report abuse |
  36. Ruth

Oprah is a natural...She has the gift to make her guests feel comfortable. She is extremely perceptive. When I watch Oprah from my home she has the ability to make you feel she is in the room with you. I don't watch at her, I watch with herl.

November 22, 2009 at 7:18 am | Report abuse |
  37. David A

I read this Blog post because I am a fan and admirer of Oprah Winfrey. What I do not understand are the people who have posted hateful comments. Why would you read the post if you do not like Ms Winfrey or care for what she has done? Why not read about and comment on people that you admire or represent your views instead of wasting time spewing hateful vitriol? This type of bad behavior is at the top of the list of reasons why our country is falling apart, becoming more divided and being outpaced around the world.

Also, Ms Winfrey is not leaving TV. Have any of you heard about the OWN Network (Oprah Winfrey Network) that is scheduled to launch in early 2011? Discovery Networks has teamed up with Ms Winfrey and will be replacing Discovery Health to bring viewers a 24 hour cable network encouraging everyday people to "OWN" their lives and do what they love. So for all you folks that have enjoyed The Oprah Winfrey Show all these years, stay tuned. There is no way Ms Winfrey will own a network and not have a show of some kind. And all you haters, just watch something else. I receive a few hundred channels and simply do not watch the ones I do not like. There are several bookstores in my city and I only purchase and read the books I want to, weather Ms Winfrey recommends them or not. It really is just that simple.

Remember that this is America and we all have the right to think for ourselves and there is no need to persecute others for what they think or believe and certainly not for who or what they choose to watch on the flat screen. IT'S CALLED FREEDOM PEOPLE! LIFE IS TOO SHORT FOR ALL THE NASTINESS.

David A.
    San Diego, CA

November 22, 2009 at 5:21 am | Report abuse |
  38. z. jamakizowi

Very proud to say, I've never watched her show.

November 22, 2009 at 4:13 am | Report abuse |
  39. AJ

Give me a break, she's not dead!

November 22, 2009 at 2:56 am | Report abuse |
  40. Joy

May the Light always shine bright in your soul. You are our heart. Just simply... Thank you kind lady.

November 22, 2009 at 2:40 am | Report abuse |
  41. fn

OPRAH, a woman icon of all time, there is none that can replace this marvelous woman who inspired woman around the globe..! Oprah, you touched millions and millions of people's hearts..! You did the best you could and you deserve all the due respect for an awesome show....nay sayers can say this and that, this woman is
    SIMPLY THE BEST...! Neither race card nor ethnicity card ever played on OPRAH'S shows...all human beings are the same regardless of colour, ethinicity background. You are leaving your show with great respect and dignity...all applauses to you Oprah... and may God bless you endlessly.

November 22, 2009 at 1:54 am | Report abuse |
  42. kathy

Not going to miss oprah at all. I think there should be term limits for TV hosts. Wish her well in the future but I'm ready to see a new face with a new prospective.

November 22, 2009 at 12:28 am | Report abuse |
  43. Charles Muehlhof

Why do the media stories I've seen read like obituary's? The woman's not dead, for God's sake!

November 21, 2009 at 11:52 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Belinda

Almost 6 years ago now I was diagnosed with breast cancer at 39. A week before I started my chemo treatment a number of friends called and said to turn on Oprah. She had a young mom who was going through the same type of chemo that I was about to start taking. Oprah followed her that day and the show was about how she was doing.
    It was one of the most informative and encouraging shows about cancer and treatments I had ever watched and still remember to this day. Thank you to Oprah for bringing this show to not only have fun and entertainment but also for the harder topics that can help many and someone like me.

November 21, 2009 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Greg

I remember when Oprah had her first Webcast using Skype. She said, "I didn't even know what Skype was!" She's a genuine person. I'll miss her show.

November 21, 2009 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse |
  46. L Summers

The woman is all about money and power. She lost me as a viewer when she did NOTHING to make people aware of the pet food contamination issue a couple years ago. Pet lover – hardly!

The woman has exploited her celebrity and in the end has caused too many unenlightened people to believe as she does, without really understanding the issues. I think she is responsible for launching a population of sheeple.

Good riddance.

November 21, 2009 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Thom Eschrich

I had a great encounter with her that demonstrated her genuineness... Was a member of the Academy of TV art/sciences, and we had a luncheon that Siskel & Ebert gave their winning predictions for the Film Academy's awards back in the 80's. I was seated next to this woman on one side, my friend on the other I brought. I asked this woman what her name was, she replied "Oprah" (at which my friend about died of embarassment). I then proceeded to ask her what she did for a living, she responded "I'm a talk show Host"... she never batted an eye at my ignorance, and we enjoyed lunch and the predictions – wonder if she thinks "wonder if that guy knows who I am now?!" hehe Awesome, down to earth lady... would love to share lunch with her again now!

November 21, 2009 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
  48. CAN

Oprah has had an amazing career as an African-American woman talk show host. I applaud her for her efforts in light of her roots. However, I do not have much respect for her show. She has so much influence over so many people and she is a new age marketing queen (see Eckhart Tolle). She has openly denied Christ as the only way to God. She is certainly entitled to her opinion but she used to claim she was a Christian. However, I lost respect for her when she started pushing Tolle's repackaged -gnostic-new age-philosophic junk. And to answer "Mary E.'s" post, I kindly disagree...I don't think God is pleased, at least not the Christian God, because she denied his Son as the only way to God on live television to millions. Jesus says that if we reject Him before men He will reject us before God the Father. My prayer is Oprah will reconsider who and what she believes in, humble herself, and ask Christ into her life. I wish her well.

November 21, 2009 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
  49. J. Mank

At last.

November 21, 2009 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Laurie

I have been watching Oprah since day 1. I have grown to admire her over the years and trust her ability to be on the cutting edge. That is why I am not suprised that she has chosen to end her show at the top of her game.She is smart enough to say when. I think she has given it her all and deserves the opportunity to move on to something new. She has been teaching us all how to follow our passions and now she is doing the same. We haven't seen the last of Ms Winfrey.

November 21, 2009 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Dee

Oprah's personal story is the story of America. Tom Hanks had it right when he said "you're good for tv – you're good for America".
    She's never hidden her own issues..she's given us fun and information and encouragement. Oprah is the real deal. Yes, the psuedo-intellectuals can put her down..or just the petty haters of anything better than they are...but we all know she's had an influence and it's never been negative.

November 21, 2009 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
  52. bernardo

Here I go:I never liked Oprah and I'm glad she's leaving!!!!!She's such a fake person.The least she can do with all her millions is help others
    I really don't see her relevance,I;m sure behind all her planned good there have been a million of well planned reasons,her heart is not that pure,she is very calculating.Behind that mask there's another Oprah that I'm sure is not that angelical or human.No one gets that far just being nice.Oprah,the great pretender!!!!!

November 21, 2009 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Roselind Blanch

I Have really enjoyed many, many Oprah shows.
    Haven't always been able to see them all.
    I felt that she had multiple topics to present to her audience and she
    reached out to many different parts of the country.
    She understood that her audience was made up of the whole country.
    Not just women but men as well.
    She certainly had her head and her heart involved in what she
    was trying to accomplish and I do believe she was successfull in
    reaching out to an enormous number of people.God Bless her always!
    She has helped an enormous number of people in both small and large ways. I can't wait for the next chapter.

November 21, 2009 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Dianne72

I am so glad she is leaving. She was always on the tube promoting stuff and lining her own pockets. Her show was basically crap and fodder for simple minded people.

November 21, 2009 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Stevens

It is to bad she could not offgone off earlier!!!!!

November 21, 2009 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Stevens

No it is time for Oprah to leave. This woman has done it all and more. I got turned off of her and thought her actions and her rudeness were far from acceptable after she brought James Frey back on her show and humiliated him about his lynig of this book.This is woman whom stands so proudly about manners and fairness and equality and she herself did this. Even though she apologized much later she still had the time on her show to behave in this manner. That was my turning point with Miss Winfrey. I will not be sad she is gone.But as all you Amercians know she will leave being defined by her weight.

November 21, 2009 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Paolo

Five years ago Oprah surprised me at my father's Grocery store in Hoffman Estates, IL. She presented me a walk on speaking role on NBC's Will & Grace. She changed my life forever. I grew up watching her show and always thought of her like a second mother to me. She gave me the best education and taught me the meaning of "living your best life" I will miss her talk show dearly but i know that she has big plans and that this is just the beginning of her using her "platform" as Oprah would say.

November 21, 2009 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  58. ThankYouLord

Thank God she's going. At first she had integrity in her show.
    Then along came the free cars,the "shopping days" and all the other phony reality show crap . Face it people ANYBODY in front of a camera is phony,planned,conceived,produced,etc.. The good side
    is now they have room for "Balloon Boy!"

November 21, 2009 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  59. tracy

rating gimmick ?? lol – yeah someone worth a billion dollars needs high rating at this point for what reason ? 25 years is enough . She is almost 60 and its time to move on to something else less taxing. Like semi-retiring I guess. Her influence has been monumental. one of the top 5 most influential women of all time in my book . Great job Oprah and good luck in whatever she chooses to do .

November 21, 2009 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Gary

You go girl...Watched since the first show in 1986 or 1987. Your eyes are the window to your soul. For 25 years you have been watched and judged and passed with flying colors. I am glad for you and you even spread your $ around alittle bit. There should be more Billionaires like you. Gates and Buffet but you put it out there to common folk. Yes education and medicine is important but so is a trip to disney world for poor kids. You did that so in my book you are the best. Your kindness and generousity was felt by all.

November 21, 2009 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Steph

I lost a lot of faith in Oprah when she supported a school in Africa instead the USA and you see where that took her-scandals galore....I have not watched her in years as her shows took another turn-all about her --just like her magazine....what you have not figured out.....she has billions of dollars so she really does not have work anymore.....now she can share her wealth with the schools in America......and do some real good!!!

November 21, 2009 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  62. oprah sucks

My best memory of oprah will be the day she goes away once and for all.

the things that i find most disgusting is how she tries to pretend she is just like everyone else ... Rich people are different and she is the case in point.

Stop pretending your normal and just go away. Thank you. Good night.

November 21, 2009 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Enough

I'm not surprised she's ending the show. Go out while you're still on top. That way you can get a lot more movie and books deals, not to mention side-projects. A wise career move.

I don't have anything against her, and I read many books, but I don't read a book just because she says I should.

November 21, 2009 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Eric

Sad to see some hate like really someone bringing MJ in this article what does michael jackson have to do with Oprah leaving... For Ms. Winfrey i know its moving on to better things she too influential to just up and leave the entertainment business.....

November 21, 2009 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Mary

I quit watching when she endorsed Obama.

November 21, 2009 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Banshee

She is a person of great distinction. To me she is someone who followed her own hopes, was able to help others find their own path.. She helped supply the tools for being a complete human, to find joy and peace and completeness. She is such a golden thread through all our own fabic of time, and it will not be the same without her. I do not feel she pushed her own agenda on us, but helped us find our own way. What an amazing person, what a profound loss for us. We will no longer have that true beacon-our true north.

How truly fortunate are we that we had her for this long!!

November 21, 2009 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Rick

My god, it is a Yap Yap talk show!! Yes some topics are very important, others much less so. Life will go on just fine without Oprah.

She has worked hard to build her empire and deserves the success she has built. But that is all. Someone else will step in and flap their gums to fill your day with more flap.

November 21, 2009 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Andulamb

Oprah died? Gee, I hadn't realized.

November 21, 2009 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
  69. Margaret

Years ago a newly slim Oprah tried to get an obese member of her audience to dance with her. The poor woman was less than enthusiastic and looked embarrassed. I felt sorry for her.

Some time after that when Oprah had gained weight she told of having to stand beside two thin Hollywood stars, how large she felt, how humiliating it was.

Oprah needs to aplogize to that woman.

November 21, 2009 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
  70. Pookie

Oprah is Fantastic.........She is GENUINE....She didn't HOARD all her Money......she Understood the Law of God.....He provided her with riches so she could give back.....and THAT SHE DID!

November 21, 2009 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
  71. Jon Audette

"I Remember Oprah", "Memories of Oprah". Are you serious? In no way am I denying the impact she has had via her talk show for all these years, but it is ending in 2011, and it's not like she's dead right now. I understand the need of some to lament the coming "demise" (if the media will dip into the well of melodrama, so will I) of the show.......but if a "Dark Night of the Soul" hits you NOW over something that will happen IN THE ENTERTAINMENT INDUSTRY in TWO YEARS, then you need to refocus your energy and realize what is truly important. WE must carry on the message she has projected and "preached"....If you want to ensure a legacy of some kind lives on, then look around you, open yourselves up, and HELP anyone and everyone that needs it....odds are, someday, YOU will be that person, too.

November 21, 2009 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
  72. mobadthangood

My memories of Mrs. Puff (spongebobs teacher) were over many years ago. She just wouldn't go away.
    Go home, have a good life, marry tht guy you been stringing along for years and don't do another show to boost the fat ego of yours.
    And for heavens sake please put down any rumors of you running for President.

Please take Barbara Striesand and Ellen Degeneres with you.

November 21, 2009 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
  73. jko

Isn't she on for 2 more years?

November 21, 2009 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
  74. Ethiopia Hagere

Thank you CNN for the opportunity so that I can say something on Oprah. I am from Ethiopia and we do have only 1 TV chanel to watch. Can you believe it? However, I have always known Oprah some how. I know it is strange but true. When I moved to Europe 10 years ago, her programmes were not readily available in the local channels so I made sure that I bought her magazine. I did not have the luck of most Americans to benefit from her wisdom and bright heart and mind. But in the limited times that I have read or heard or seen her, she did something to my soul – she energized me. She always easily managed to talk to my inside that everything is possible if you work hard. I adolized her and I still will always do. I simply pray that she does something bigger now so that she can reach so many more people who need her voice – the world needs her kind of voice. And hope Oprah will be with us sharing her wisdom until the last breath. THE WORLD NEEDS YOU MADAM OPRAH. Even the little one from Ethiopian who had only 1 tv chanel and who lived sooo far away from the civilized world heard about you and you spoke to her. So imagine what you can do for those who hear you , read you and c you everyday. Thank you, Ethiopia

November 21, 2009 at 8:36 am | Report abuse |
  75. Mike

I remember living in Chicago in the early-mid 80s. Everyone once in awhile I catch a glimpse of a local talk show hosted by a woman who spent the whole timeslot complaining about men. Just a constant stream of bile out of her mouth. It was my first exposure to the 'shock-talk' genre. (Something later perfected by Morton Downey Jr.)
    I never thought her show would amount to anything, but it did.
    I'll give her credit though, while she's made an incredible fortune, she hasn't let success change the woman she is.
    She's still fat, with that stream of man-hating bile pouring out of her mouth. You go, girl!!

November 21, 2009 at 8:24 am | Report abuse |
  76. Richard J. Hanson

A very classy woman. She has inspired the human nature in people.May God always watch over her,

November 21, 2009 at 8:04 am | Report abuse |
  77. James

What memory's I have of Oprah when she was an anchor for WJZ TV in Baltimore. My Favorite minute was her interview with Frank Purdue and he got up and walk off the stage when she brought up the fact that some people thought he looked like a chicken. LMAO... I'm 52 now and I've never forgotten that moment. it still make's me laugh when I think of it.

November 21, 2009 at 7:52 am | Report abuse |
  78. Susan

Oprah has done enough damage to this country over the years. It will be best if she no longer has easy access to the public.

November 21, 2009 at 7:46 am | Report abuse |
  79. Jason

I think I'm going to throw up. She's just an entertainer, that's it. Thanks to her we have Dr. Phil. Yea, great job.

November 21, 2009 at 7:36 am | Report abuse |
  80. PROMISE (From Nigeria)

Sad to hear about the announcement that her show we be coming to a end because to we from African (i mean the Blacks) we look at her and others(OBAMA) who has over the years being doing things in exectrodinary ways and giveing back to the society as much as such our role models BUT we take comfort that she is going into a different phase and in other way our strenght and image as a people we also be projected in that field.

YOU ARE SIMPLY THE BEST

November 21, 2009 at 5:58 am | Report abuse |
  81. Gary

Never seen one show of hers. Will not be missed

November 21, 2009 at 5:24 am | Report abuse |
  82. Janet

I am so glad this woman is leaving the airwaves. She is anti-Christian, phoney prophet baiting and downright shameless. And if you're asking how she is anti-Christian, she once stated on her show that she does not believe in Christ; that she believes in something greater out there, but she doesn't know where. Oprah said in the same show, that once she heard that "God is a jealous God" she became disheartened and abandoned. Boy, was she ever wrong! Every practicing Catholic know what "God is a jealous God" means. It means that God is jealous of the devils' corruption of man, the evil of consumption and how people turn on each other in the name of greed and self-fullfillment. The devil will seduce a person by giving him or her something shiney and new; something that is pretty and enviable; it's something for something, but the devil will retrieve it from you at a later date. Oprah does the same thing, except she calls it "Oprah's Favorite Thing" show. She'll give you a new car, or a new refridgerator, or a new expensive handbag, or a digital camera. And what does she expect from you: take her "New Earth" online class with author and New Age swindler, Eckhart Tolle.

Good bye, Oprah. And may God have mercy on your soul.

November 21, 2009 at 3:26 am | Report abuse |
  83. roberta

Sad to see the comments of those who are scared by what Oprah represents, a woman succeeding on her own terms. She has given back way more than she has taken. Excited to see what she'll do next. She deserves a fresh start in whatever direction she pleases. Best wishes to Oprah and thanks for everything!

November 21, 2009 at 2:41 am | Report abuse |
  84. daniel stewart

i found myself welling up with tears today as Oprah announced that she would say farewell to the show that made america think made us all proud, aware and enlightened and humble and happy and fulfilled! Even though i understand her reason and accept it, i am in total mourning. Even on my worst day i could always turn the the Oprah show for uplifting. When she cried, i cried. When she laughed i laughed. there will never be another like her! My only regret would be that i never got to go to an Oprah show or even meet the woman, the icon, the spirit we have all come to know as Lady O. Daytime tv will never ever be the same again. Especially at 4pm. Oprah wherever you are and what ever you do just know that i am forever a fan! If you ran over me with your car and never looked back, i would sit up and say " you better stop playin and go do your show! lol Thats just how deep my love is for you. Good Luck and Godsspeed to you. You are saviour in your own rite! Love always Daniel from Atlanta.

November 21, 2009 at 2:25 am | Report abuse |
  85. J

Oprah coulda have cured aids and cancer, ended world hunger, and caused world peace, but some people would still hate her because she's either black, a woman, or rich. And its a shame that George Washington was right about politcal parties, and boy don't they ever cloud people's judgement of character.

November 21, 2009 at 1:55 am | Report abuse |
  86. dee

Good Luck Ms. O, may God keep on blessing you in all ways possible. You must do what you have to do for yourself.

November 21, 2009 at 1:14 am | Report abuse |
  87. dee

OKAY the show is coming to an end; heres a thought, nothing lasts forever. Maybe she wants to move on to do other things or just take time out for herself. It's not the end of the world people and the show is not ending tomorrow. Everyone still has atleast a year to enjoy her.

Yes she is an intelligent person, who has done a lot for others. Yes many will miss her, but life goes on. She didn't die (thank God), she is just leaving regular TV. I am quite sure we will see her in other things in the future.

November 21, 2009 at 1:12 am | Report abuse |
  88. kenny

glad to see her go now that she has come out tobe a antichrist.Hope she has time left to repent befor she meets her maker.

November 21, 2009 at 1:05 am | Report abuse |
  89. stacey

Completely honesty, genuine, intelligent and beautiful. Everyone should be as determined as Oprah Winfrey!! She never gave up, never got mad, never wanted to get even...just WANTED!!! The difference between her and thousands iof people is NOT money... it is hope, faith and common decency. May Oprah live, love and laugh for a very long time in the beautiful world SHE has created for HERSELF!!!!

November 21, 2009 at 12:03 am | Report abuse |
  90. May Clark

Yeah, her fans have "enriched" her life, to the tune of 2.5 billion. Good riddance.

November 20, 2009 at 11:13 pm | Report abuse |
  91. shannon

You don't know how much information I have received from the Oprah show that has helped me in so many ways. I live in the rural mountains of North Carolina and am kept up to speed and impowered in a male dominated rural America. Oprah brought life to the power of being a woman to me growing up since I was 11 years old. That is big, considering where I live the norm is still like that of the 1950s that the woman is to tend the house and the children and the man is the leader instead of an equal. That's why men around here don't like Oprah and I say go Oprah and please keep on going.

November 20, 2009 at 10:43 pm | Report abuse |
  92. Lily

Finally, Oprah is going to sit down and shut up!

November 20, 2009 at 10:32 pm | Report abuse |
  93. Dann

Gotta dissent. Her arrogance has grown to colossal proportions. She is a self-appointed arbiteur of all that is kind and giving, to the point of making a competition of charity ("Oprah's Big Give") and so on. For all her gifts, there isn't an ounce of humility or gratitude to this woman. It'll be a relief to the authors of the world to see this self-important twit gone; note to Oprah – Obama was doing fine without your endorsement. You did not elect the man; you do not make bestselling books, you endorse bestselling books and claim credit; turning people into laughable snot-gobbling confessional wrecks on your show is not a kindness, it is usury.

November 20, 2009 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse |
  94. sar

Kaila-

Maybe if you did take the time to watch her, you could understand while SO many of us are saddened by her show ending. Before you criticize many of us for being sad, try watching her show first-then you should share.

November 20, 2009 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
  95. Philip McAdoo

The Moment…A journal entry, March 4, 2007.

I didn’t wear a watch! I did not want to have any concept of time. I wanted the moment to be just as it should without the prompt that it would have to come to an end. I kept reminding myself to breathe and focus as to not let the moment pass in a blur that I would struggle to recall to my family and friends. I wanted to witness each moment as one fluid motion with the grace of a painter creating a masterpiece, with detail to each stroke of color that would blend to capture the beauty of the moment and ultimately stand as proof that it did exist. And so it was.

I remember the room. There was velvet that lined the columns of the perfect gray walls with words of inspiration projected onto them...integrity, inspiration, hope. There were flowers…lots of flowers that would make it impossible to count. As we walked in to take our place in the back of the room, I could hear her before I saw her…her voice as recognizable as her image and then she appears and the moment begins and nothing prepares you for the warmth and comfort of her “hello”…and it is like she is speaking to you from your television set only this time she says your name and you whisper to yourself…in this moment…she knows my name…who I am…and before you can wrap your brain around that…while you try to wrap your brain around that…the moment is gone…she is on to the next…and you hope your “thank you” was enough.

She tells us she has read our stories and is glad that we are here. She goes to get Mr. Poitier and they enter and together they are almost too much…almost. She escorts him in and introduces us one by one and the moment is…as it should…calm, easy and real as he extends his hand. I scan the room for a sign that this is real…that I was in a room with two of the most inspirational people in my world and that this could be possible.

We take our seats and I am across from him, next to her and that is…enough.

Sidney Poitier is…THERE…across from me and I just want to listen. I want to hear and hear and hear…listen…my mind is racing and I am trying to catch the rhythm thinking about what I am going to say trying to join the pace and enter the moment…take my moment…FINALLY…I have to pull out of the race in my mind and relax into my space…she is to my right and he is there in front of me…and I am steady…and I listen …just listen…

…And around the table, we are all as we should…connected, sharing in this moment and poised to accept the grace that it brings. My place setting has become the keeper of time and with each removal, I am suddenly aware that this moment must end.

And so it does…

I am on the platform somewhere between remembering and reality staring at the tracks as I wait for the train. My thoughts gather pace as I start to I think about the work that is left here to be done…laundry, black history, benefit, visas, passports, china…creating opportunities for my kids…our kids…and I take my seat on the train and I am back at the table, in the moment…and again I wonder what more I could have been/done in that moment…and the tears come and I know why.

“It is really difficult when you have admired somebody all of your life. There is nothing you can say that can measure up to the moment of 40 years of waiting to say something. There is nothing you can say. So for 40 years you have wanted – had so much you have wanted to say…you want this person to know how you feel about them and you want them to think you are beautiful and smart and engaging and charming and wonderful…you want them to think all of that, you want to ask the question that they are just like ‘oh my god. I have never been asked that question before’. I collapsed, emotionally. Why? Because I thought I wasn’t good enough all theses years I wanted to meet him and I didn’t measure up to the moment.”
    -Oprah on interviewing Sidney Poitier

Aha! Yes! I wanted all that. I wanted to say she has inspired me to give of myself and my time and my resources, my love to youth…inner city youth. That I will be in South Africa for two months working at a performance arts camp and she was a force in that…a force in my acknowledging the unfolding of my life… an affirmation of what is good and right and possible in my life and I am most grateful to have shared space with her for a moment.

I understand now her tears after her interview with Sidney Poitier for I have become she and she has become he and together they are almost too much -too much joy, too much love, too much humility, too much humanity, too much love – almost…too much. I cannot help but wonder if I was good enough for that moment…You can’t help but mourn the moment…the moment that you get a taste of what is possible …to have a moment in your life that is meaningful and have it shrink away from you…hard to transition back to your life…that once in a lifetime moment when you come face-to-face with not one but two of your heroes and you hope you are ready and you hope you are present and you hope you are enough. She is right! You even have to dream a dream bigger than Oprah.

November 20, 2009 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
  96. Jim

Oprah burned the Texas meat industry until they were well done.

November 20, 2009 at 9:08 pm | Report abuse |
  97. Neil Anderthal

Oprah going offthe air....Great best news I've heard since that child molester Michael Jackson got his just reward. Who cares that Oprah is leaving!!!!!!

We've got soldiers dying overseas on a daily basis, and yet all we can talk about is some fat black woman who's eyes are migrating to the sides of her head like a fat overcooked flounder. Its no wonder this country is going to hell in a handbasket.

November 20, 2009 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Vardit

So, the Americans are waving good-bye god.

November 20, 2009 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
  99. denise

thanks mr.s winfrey, when u came on t.v. i think u was the nices lady ive seen on t.v. i have asister that looks like you and enjoy your other 2years.

November 20, 2009 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |
  100. mary

im from kenya and i remember when i first watched her in kenya, she talked about a topic that changed my life . now that i live in new york i still love love love her.. all the best to her..she's a good person.

November 20, 2009 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
  101. Kalia

Ok, I'm sorry people but, she didn't die. AND her show is still on for 2 MORE YEARS!!!! Why is everyone so sad about this, There are two years left of this and everyone is making it sound like she died.... "I remember Oprah" give me a break! Really, there is NO other news than this? Crazy... I never watch her show and never will. This is just stupid.........

November 20, 2009 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
  102. Sharon Miller

So many great memories and shows. Yes, she is my hero for her bravery and honesty. She brought all races together and helped us grow as a country. She deserves all good things for you has given all of us her heart. And what a heart she has! God Bless You, Oprah.

November 20, 2009 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
  103. Queen Young

Do we thank God is pleased because of good works. That's just a added benefit to your crown. Be not decieve theres only one way.

November 20, 2009 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |
  104. EBJ

I am somewhat dismayed at so many people, seemingly on the conservative side, that have such a negative opinion of Oprah. She made it the way most conservatives profess that one SHOULD make it...HARD WORK...NO HELP....START FROM THE BOTTOM..and once you make it don't forget where you came from. Maybe it's because she's a self -made billionare, a woman, and an African-American that causes the resentment and jealousy of some. But if you look at Oprah's following and her audience is ALL races and backgrounds. She sets a fine example for not only women or minorities but for anyone that wants to make it in America. The one Oprah episode I will never forget was one where she went to this town in Georgia where no Blacks were welcome or allowed to live and confronted the people there. It really open the eyes of some of my friends that didn't even know places like that still existed in America. Thank you Oprah for all you have shown us and I only wish more of our youth can wind up like you did.

November 20, 2009 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
  105. amyinoaktown

Memories of Oprah, ALREADY?? You do realize she still has TWO more years before the show goes off the air!!?! Kind of soon to start saying the Goodbyes. I personally think she has way too much influence. People put way too much emphasis on her advice, product endorsements, etc. in my opinion. Good talk show, but would be nice if she let her guests get a word in edgewise every once in a while! She constantly interupts with her own comments.

November 20, 2009 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
  106. TC

Big deal. Stop worshipping her. In the end she's just another rich celebrity. Why does the world think somebody is so much more smarter, or important because she interviews other people on TV. That's all she does. Interviews people. Think about it.

November 20, 2009 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
  107. TT Henderson

Yeah, the last few years she's gotten into some weird stuff (books, beliefs, etc) so it's about time. Surprised it lasted this long.

November 20, 2009 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
  108. kevin

I agree she should go, its time, she is making mistakes more often now and she is just not herself. To much glam and glitz. I enjoy Ellen a lot more now. Tyra is sad, she just doesn't have what it takes.

November 20, 2009 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  109. Jenny

Glad she's leaving. WHY would anyone read a book "just because she recommended it". Can't people think on her own. I'm glad she's going. She's OVERKILL!

November 20, 2009 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
  110. marie

I grew up watching Oprah. I think she has contributed so greatly TO THE WORLD and will continue to fulfill her purpose on this earth.

Thank you Oprah!!!

November 20, 2009 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
  111. Yvonne T

When you are genuine, caring, thoughtful and thought provoking, good things will come your way. thanks for all you do and have done- best of luck to you!

November 20, 2009 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  112. wayne

Darlene, you must be from another plantet. If it wasn't for Oprah, there wouldn't have been a James Frey. And, if you mean when she invited him back on the show to confront him about that book of lies that he sat on her stage, before millions of viewers and bold facedly swore was the truth, he got what he deserved. I say only a person with integrity could pull that off. Honestly, if making a man accountable for his lies was all it took for you to banish Oprah from your TV, you may need to seek counseling to get to the "real root" of your issues with Oprah.

November 20, 2009 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
  113. LBW

I don't believe it. She has had a drop in ratings and I think this is a ratings gimmick. She wants her fans to adorn her with love...a show of affection of sorts.

November 20, 2009 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
  114. MARY E.

oprah you give your time,advise ,joy,and lots of love. GOD IS PLEASED

November 20, 2009 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  115. Linzy

I love love this story. I'll miss her shows. Oprah is truly genuine, I believe.

November 20, 2009 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  116. Susan

If there is one huge lesson I have learned from Oprah, it is that each one of us can be whoever we want to be. We can change our circumstances and make ourselves be better people, better mates, better friends, better parents, better children, better community members.

I have long said that my heroes in this life are Mother Teresa and Oprah.

THANK YOU Oprah for all the life lessons you have shared, all the truths you have taught, all the children you have saved, and for every minute of your show.

November 20, 2009 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  117. nani

personally sick of her – glad she is getting off the air

November 20, 2009 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  118. Kim R.

Amazing women that has came into every house hold. She has changed so many peoples lives from dispare to hope. She has been a gift from god to all. She will be missed and never forgotten.

November 20, 2009 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  119. Darlene

It's about time. I used to watch her, but over the last few years, she's more about being in the the Hollywood crowd. I stopped watching her the minute she hung James Frey out to dry by stacking her show with her supporters and ganging up on him and not letting him get a word in edgewise. And for the record Oprah, yes one can have a root canal without freezing. I did and it hurt like hell.

Her hipocracy is so blatant.....time to hang 'em up Oprah, although I'm sure this won't be the last we'll see of you.

November 20, 2009 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  120. Cali

Get off the 'Queen Oprah' bandwagon...Oh what will we do?????I hope we're not going to have to listen to this crap for 2 years till she goes off.

November 20, 2009 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
  121. El

Life without O?, say it isn't so!!

At first, I thought it was a mistake when I heard the announcement!

I wish her nothing but good luck. She deserves it.

She is:

"SIMPLY THE BEST!!!!

November 20, 2009 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  122. Linda Rivera

I am sad on one hand because I feel like I know her because I have watched her for so long. But I am very happy for her. I am sure she needs to do something different but still involved with all of her fans. I love you Oprah.

Linda Rivera
    Beach Park, IL

November 20, 2009 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  123. Sandra

I've been watching Oprah since she was on the local new in Baltimore back in the day and I'm going to miss her show as much as anyone but why is everyone acting like the world is ending because she's decided to something different and focus on other facets of her life?

If Oprah's taught people anything it's to be self-reliant, independent and responsible.

November 20, 2009 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  124. Helen

Phil Donahue wouldn't pass the torch so Oprah Winfrey TOOK it...I am glad she is leaving on her own accord.

While I will miss the show I realize that it will be a long time before she can be replace. Ellen, Rachel, Wendy nor any other lady will come close. (okay, honorable mention to Tyra....she is a good person who is approaching the path that Oprah took)

THANKS OPRAH.

November 20, 2009 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
  125. john c

oprah winfrey really is a ray of light, never in the history of tv has there been a woman so powerful and yet so down to earth. I can say that she always made my day after a hard days work. I looked forward to seeing her topic and discussion , she enlightened me and my family in so many ways , when she was happy we were happy , when she was sad we were, and yet i never met her personally , but feel she is my friend.
    i wish her all the success that she desires in her new ventures and ask that God always keep his hand on her shoulder. Oprah has made the world a better place . GOD BLESS HER .

November 20, 2009 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  126. JaniceLee

As a while woman a few years older than Oprah, I've admired her all these years for the blazing trail she is forging spiritually., SPRIRITUALLY. Beyond color, nation, class, she has shown the way to greater use of our humaness, our femininity, our gifts. My life simply would not be the same without her. She is unique. I love you, Oprah. THANK YOU.

November 20, 2009 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  127. Brett S.

No one person should have as much influence on individuals and this country as Oprah has enjoyed over the years. My opinion of her ending her show is that it came too late. Good riddance!!!

November 20, 2009 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  128. Faye

Wow...was my first thought and breath of a word. I really have so much respect and love for her. I have been a fan of hers start to present. Reading the article gives many memories of an amazing woman created by the master... (God Almighty). There's only one Oprah and one Oprah talk show. She will be dearly missed, not to say she will seclude herself from the world.....Ms. Winfrey has another calling and we all are waiting with anticipation to what it is. I hope the very best for her and may her life continue to be a voice in any aspect that she's directed and guided too. LOVE U....OPRAH.

November 20, 2009 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  129. T. G.

I have been watching the Oprah Winfrey Show as long as I can remember. Not only is her show very entertaining, but it is also very inspirational and thought-provoking. It is very hard to imagine life after Oprah. Although I feel sad about the announcement, I wish her good luck on her future endeavors. As one door closes, another door opens.

November 20, 2009 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  130. ladonnabig53

It is hard to believe that Oprah had to end her TV show like
    this. Even though I never watch her that much, I would always
    idolize her as the first black woman to have her own talk
    program on the tube. After next fall, when she is off the air
    for good, I could imagine what daytime entertainment would
    be like.

November 20, 2009 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  131. CJ Richards

I love it! I have watched Oprah since I was a kid on 3 different continents. I am not particularly a TV star struck individual but her show has always been important to me and I can say has made me a better person.

November 20, 2009 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |