November 19th, 2009

Oprah calls it quits

It's been rumored for weeks, but now it's actually happening: Oprah Winfrey is ready to announce tomorrow that she's ending her immensely popular and influential TV talk show.  She'll drop the news on Friday morning's live show from Chicago.

Fans shouldn't panic just yet: WLS, where her show began as "A.M. Chicago" in 1984, says the final "Oprah Winfrey Show" will air in September of 2011, giving her nearly two more years to spur water cooler talk, influence trends, and push authors to the top of the best-seller list.

What then?  The media queen has been trying to get the cable channel OWN, the Oprah Winfrey Network, off the ground with Discovery Communications for awhile now, and it seems a good bet she'll move her attention and resources there.  After all, why "settle" for a show – even one of the most talked-about and enduring in TV history – when you can have a network?

1. christa

I wish the best to Oprah and her 3 billion Dollars she made on us. I know I am not going to follow her on Cabel. Also if they think Rosie O'Donnell should take her show over, they are wrong. Rosie is a mean spirited person, it was OK as long as she thought we did not know she was gay, please we all knew she was gay, after she came out whoopdy, her whole personality changed. Donald Trump was right about her, I stopped watching anything she had to say, not because she was gay, but because she is a b.... . She thinks she is right about anything. Oh' by the way, the View was a job, nothing else, and it was Barbara Walters show and Barbara was the one held responsible for what ever went on. Please Rosie, go away, do not bother us with your sob stories anymore, look at yourself as the problem and not anyone else.

November 27, 2009 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  2. jb

can't wait to see OWN in TV.

November 23, 2009 at 6:38 am | Report abuse |
  3. A. Smith, Oregon

It seems terribly ironic that when the Republican lawmakers harpooned America's economy along with the world's economy, that they were able to silence the largest and most influential critic of the entire Repubican Party.

As ad revenues continued to drop on her TV Show, it became clear to Oprah that her TV show would continue to lose money until it was economically unable to continue.

I'm glad however that Oprah will continue long after she is dead via her Oprah cable network.

Her last televised TV Show is slated for release on Sept. 2011, that's plenty of time from now for viewers to get their Oprah fix.

November 22, 2009 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  4. esther

oprah has been an inspiration to all women and she has grown to become a very giving and generous person, no matter what other people might think. Nobody gave her anything, it was all her hard work. You go girl. Enjoy!

November 21, 2009 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
  5. karwani ronald dylan

she been such an inspiring lady i personally loved her show i remenber here in uganda when we had just got our country increase tv stations ophra show was the first to air but i also think that she can now do the best with her life the remaining time.
    god bless her

November 21, 2009 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Paula, '07 Harvard Graduate

Ophra, what a deep, entrancing, moving person in our society.

I'll never forget, and I think about it many times each month, even while CNN, PBS, and the New York Times remind us of the "things that we should know about" (??). . . . here was Ophra unselfishly building schools in the poor, somewhat desolate country of South Africa, insuring that the children there received a great education. And I now wonder that it would be so good if 1 or 2 billion dollars of the "available" (from where?!) stimulus money being handed-out could be used to build schools in the desolate areas here in OUR country. But I'm supposing that GM, Ford, and others would not want to wait for THEIR monies, since the children would come first – before them.
    So Ophra, thanks for your insight and and agressiveness in helping these precious children in South Africa......where you had no political barriers. Please do more. -Paula

November 21, 2009 at 12:58 am | Report abuse |
  7. Charmaine Anderson

I think Oprah is doing the right thing, she can expand the type of content she wants to offer by owning a network where she can provide much more content than what one could provide in a one hour show. This will only be good news for her fans who will be able to get a wider selection of content that will appeal to them.

Oprah – You go girl! And good luck with developing your network!

November 20, 2009 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  8. wb

Oprah will be missed. She has been a very strong person
    always doing the right thing. She can't be replaced.

November 20, 2009 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
  9. mary

We have loved watching Oprah over the years. She was our escape from the world, even if it was just for a hour. Too bad she is planning on moving to cable. With economy being the way it is, having to pay to watch a tv, is becoming more difficult. Way to look out for the little guy. Thanks for the years spend, but I guess I will not see you in the future.

November 20, 2009 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Sue Accuardi

My favorite Oprah moment was when she interviewed Obama for the first time before he ran for President.... I told my husband that I just saw our next President...Sue Portland Or

November 20, 2009 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  11. RB

Who Cares that Oprah is "calling it quits..." Other than boasting her own wealth for the past 25 years and stroking the ego's of movie stars, how have viewers benefited? The show is a joke, merely entertainment, with no REAL value.

Secondly, this whole move is about money. She's leaving her show to join forces with another entertainment giant, to make more cash!!!! The media is making it sound like she's walking away from her career. SHE'S NOT!

Thanks Oprah for giving people a one hour escape from reality while you wear your 10 carat earings.

November 20, 2009 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  12. andrew

She has become little more than a glorified pundit, with what can only be described as a self-fulfilling authority on truth, employing those who will endorse her message.

The moment she strayed from talking about baby-mommas and headlong into matters of state and international relations, she has forgotten her place. She's a talking head, and outside of her admirable humanitarian efforts, ending her show is not news. Its publicity, and its more money for her.

For someone who caters to a gullible and mostly uninformed audience full of rabid soccer-moms and old ladies, its the blind leading the blind.

How about we rely on unendorsed clinical evidence instead of catering solely to emotions? Time to wake up folks.

November 20, 2009 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  13. alfogue

I am yet to comprehend your excessive coverage on Oprah's decision to call it quits and possible future programming consequences-effect. People come and go all the time, TV is only entertainment and someone or something else will replace her. We have so much going on now that we could use information from you. You are CNN –-Cable NEWS Network, unless you decided to go the editorial or opinion route and if you did, make it on matters where we can hear or read both sides of current events affecting our well-being.
    Otherwise, if Oprah or similar related continues to be a big concern of yours, I have a suggestion. Given your poor ratings, shut down your operation and apply for the Oprah time slot with whichever network handles her show. Because with all due respect, you are no news outlet, you belong in the Ellen or Dr. Phil category good luck.

November 20, 2009 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
  14. Jannynet

As a long time viewer I'm saddened to see her go but as a retired business woman I say "good for you, girl, take some time for yourself!"

We are all richer for having watched her amazing show through the years. I have yet to see any other woman blaze so many trails for woman by remaining a lady with humor, sensitivity and talent.

She will be missed but never forgotten. I hope what ever other ventures she embarks on are as successful

November 20, 2009 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  15. Debra R

She is not quitting...she is expanding....she will not be satisfied until she has her own Network...how is this news, she has always been all about Oprah...

November 20, 2009 at 8:57 am | Report abuse |
  16. Brenda

Oprah's life up to this point has been filled with hard work , generosity and talent, I suppose some might call it human nature to try to" cut her down " at every turn with negative words,energy what ever you choose to call it .

However Maya Angelou says it most eloquently '" And still I rise."
    I know like the rest of her faithful followers I wish her only good things, but most of all love and happiness.
    Oprah has shared her life with us and for that I feel privileged, we have seen her hair style change, her constant battle with weight and been given as much of her personal life as she has seen fit to share with us.

I have laughed, cried, hoped, wished, prayed, cherished, longed, had my eyes and my heart oped more than once by her.
    She has shown human beings, faults and all, the most horrific crimes that we as humans are capable of. BUT most of all she has shown us how all human beings are connected to each other and our earth.
    Please listen closely for she still has so much to offer us.
    Oprah you will always have a place in MY heart.. I have often thought I would like to be a close personal friend to you. So now you have announced that your long running show will end, I know it is not the end but the very beginning to some thing wonderful and new for you and if you choose to share it with us, I once again feel privileged. You are an amazing African American Woman. Brenda Australia

November 20, 2009 at 1:04 am | Report abuse |
  17. nancysyd

Yea, 'cause we're all supposed to be looking for Jesus – puleeze

November 19, 2009 at 11:16 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Debbie

Maybe Oprah will find Jesus with the time she has remaining on His earth!

November 19, 2009 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |