November 13th, 2009

Why we love Taylor Swift

From the MTV Video Music Awards to "Saturday Night Live" to the CMA Awards, Taylor Swift is on top of the world, and America absolutely loves her. What makes Taylor Swift so loveable? How has she captured our hearts and escaped the pitfalls that have faced those like Britney Spears and Miley Cyrus? Maybe it is because under all of the hair and makeup, the glitz and the glamour, Taylor Swift is still just a normal 19-year-old girl. There aren’t any pretenses, there aren’t any games — there certainly aren’t any ridiculous costumes and pole dances, there’s just a girl and her guitar.

Ever since she burst onto the scene with her breakout single in 2006, Taylor has been a fixture on the Hollywood scene, appearing on magazine covers and selling out concerts. Her first single, “Tim McGraw,” was a hit and she never looked back.

Taylor doesn’t wear booty shorts and she doesn’t make inappropriate music videos — actually it is quite the opposite. She isn’t afraid to look bad or to make fun of herself. In the video for “You Belong with Me,” she's living the life of most teenagers: sitting at home in her room, looking awkward, feeling self-conscious, and singing into a hairbrush. At the end of the video (spoiler alert!), she shows up at the school dance in a long, very age-appropriate gown, having undergone the prerequisite fairy tale makeover that every gawky teenager dreams of.

We love Taylor because she posts fun YouTube videos of herself getting nominated for awards, so we can share the moment with her. It’s rare that celebrities let fans have as much access to them as Taylor does. She might be one of the most internet-savvy stars out there — communicating with fans via Twitter, Facebook and MySpace, in addition to her own website.

It’s not just that she communicates with her fans that make Taylor so unique; it’s the way that she does it that makes her so personable. Take this gem from her Facebook page:

I'm extremely tall. Like, I'm that really tall person that is blocking your view at a concert. On behalf of all of us, we're sorry.

As a whole, I don’t think we as fans are accustomed to our celebrities being so self deprecating, so I was especially shocked to see this quote from her — right under her picture!

I'm not a big deal. At all.

Well Taylor, I beg to differ. I think you are a very big deal. As someone a bit older than you, I still look up to you —I think you are an awesome role model. I wish that when I was younger, I had someone like you to look up to, because the people I read about in magazines weren’t exactly great examples of how to exist in Hollywood and come out as a normal person. Taylor, you are doing a great job.

On Wednesday night, when I watched Taylor win Entertainer of the Year at the CMAs, as her dad watched her with tears in his eyes, I couldn’t help but tear up myself. For all of the celebrities who go out and party, all of the starlets who pile into cars without underwear, all of the ones who drink and drive, its nice to finally see one of the “good girls” get an award.

And really, who can resist loving a girl who ends one of the best nights of her life with a tweet like this:

taylorswift13: Just wrapped up a cereal party with my mom and dad at the kitchen table. What a night.

« Previous entry
  1. dreamboard

Wonderful submit, very informative. I ponder why the other experts of this sector don't notice this. You must proceed your writing. I am sure, you have a great readers' base already!|What's Going down i am new to this, I stumbled upon this I have discovered It positively helpful and it has helped me out loads. I'm hoping to contribute & help different users like its aided me. Great job.

January 10, 2013 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
  2. Margit Moench

Magnificent beat ! I would like to apprentice while you amend your site, how could I subscribe for a blog site? The account aided me a acceptable deal. I had been a little bit acquainted of this your broadcast offered bright clear concept

December 2, 2011 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Marain

"and you're talkin' real slow, 'cause it's late and your mama don't know". Excuse me? Since when does talking real slow keep you from being heard? Seriously, people, did none of you catch that?

November 27, 2011 at 10:46 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Sofi

Cool. Anywayy. I know there's Taylor Swift fans who's reading this and I just wanna tell you about a contest where you can win Tix to go see Taylor live in London next year. Flighttix and hotel are included. Join thru this link http://koiniclub.com/ref/C-15-80070656 be sure it says C-15-80070656 in the referall box & confirm ur account. ^^

November 19, 2010 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jamoe

I'm sick of her personally. I used to love her music but pretty soon the songs started sounding the same. She could be more unique and I've went to her concert and her voice is not great at all. She has no passion.

November 23, 2009 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Rebecca

Don't hate me because I'm beautiful...! I mean CRIMSON!

I have to admit I like the "new country" better, such as Sara Evans, Carrie U, Keith U, Brad Paisley, Miranda Lambert, Trisha & Garth (of course!),
    Shania, etc etc.
    I was a rock fan and musician (plus classical) back in the day. Grew up in B'ham.
    Love Patsy Cline's voice, but otherwise the real old stuff while I respect its place and importance, I don't really listen to it. As far as I go back is Dwight Yoakam (sp?). His voice is super resonant and excellent.
    Josh Turner has a great bass tone.
    i LOVE KU just like guys love Carrie, because of the combo of talent AND looks. He is a stunner all the way around. I like what some of these newer artists have done w country in the last couple of decades.
    Terri Clark, Patti Loveless – strong voices as well. LeAnn Rimes has a gorgeous and just incredible voice. These three are more traditional.
    Martina is really good too, and had a huge influence on Carrie for sure.
    Taylor really needs to work on the vocals.. but she is special.. there's something intangible there.

November 20, 2009 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Joel

You know Rebecca, I thought we could be friends until you threw in that whole Jay Barker comment. That tells me YOU are a BAMA fan.
    Good grief! I can't be friends with you – it goes against my ethics!
    You see, I'm a Vandy fan... Sad but true.

Just kidding on the whole friend thing.

Being that I grew up in Nashville in the 70's and 80's I got to meet ALOT of the country singers thru various jobs and my dad got to be friends with several of the "old time" OPRY members. He would go to the opry all the time and get to sit on the stage and watch the show.
    Being young, that just didn't appeal to me.

With the likes of Miss Underwood (and I think Mirranda) playing the Opry from time to time I may have to make an attempt to go sometime soon. I think it just might be fun. Either that or my musical tastes have changed and I am now getting EXTREMELY old!

November 20, 2009 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Rebecca

PS – I agree, it would be very interesting to see what Shania comes up with sans Mutt, but she may be done with it all. You never know. She may just want to be a mom and disappear from the public eye.
    Grace Kelly was a beautiful, stunning young actress but left it all – albeit to become a Princess! A little different story.

November 20, 2009 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Rebecca

You're welcome Joel! (love the name btw – it is my fiance's!)
    You have excellent taste about Carrie and Miranda. CU has an absolutely beautiful voice altho she isn't that warm to me. Miranda is just plain FUN and has a great low voice that is very "cool" if you will. She's fiesty!
    Another of my favorites: Sara Evans. Her voice is pure country and crazy with the resonance. Very full alto sound.. beautiful. She's cute too, and married to one of my heroes, Jay Barker of Crimson Tide quarterback fame.

November 20, 2009 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Joel

Rebecca,

No doubt that Garth is special. He is charismatic and can definately touch his audience. My point to calling him AND Shania out was that no matter how electrifying your shows are you don't have to be a powerhouse singer to be entertainer of the year.

I do agree with you that entertainer of the year is a bit much at her early age. I do feel that you need to be a "veteran of country music"
    before you can even be nominated.

Now Shania on the other hand... I am curious about her NEXT CD.
    Now that she and Mutt Lange are divorced I wonder if anyone else can come close to getting that Shania Twain / Mutt Lange sound???

I hope she comes back with an awesome CD that will tell the world she didn't need him to be sucessful and she will show all these little country baby dolls like Carrie Underwood ( who is awesome) and Mirranda Lambert ( who is awesome,too) how it's done.

Thank you Rebecca for the insights and not being a basher.
    It's nice to see some dialogue instead of all this complaining that goes on here . =0)

November 20, 2009 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Rebecca

Joel I agree about the Dixie Chicks win and Hank Jr. But I will have to disagree that Garth isn't a great singer. With my vocal coach hat on, I'd say he has it all. Beauty to the tone, very free vibrato, huge emotional connection, and, he can twang it. Most of all, he can sell it – he moves people. He can bring down the house with fun, with drama, and on a ballad he is just stunning. I have always felt that he lacked a little confidence vocally though... and when he is running around...well it suffers a little but the energy overshadows.
    He drew the biggest crowd ever for a concert – 1.7 million in Central Park...quite a feat. That many people cannot be duped. He is special.
    His winning Entertainer of the Year is quite different from Taylor's winning it. No comparison.
    Even Shania was a much stronger singer and her songs were quite good especially early on.. Plus a stunning beauty with a very special sex appeal (not just pretty.) But – she wasn't true country – she was crossover. However, she was more country than Taylor. Those songs of hers are simply not country in any way!
    I like her. But Entertainer of the Year was a bit much for me. A LOT much. She's no Keith Urban!!! He's not 100% country either but he is overflowing with genuine talent.

November 20, 2009 at 12:00 am | Report abuse |
  12. les jakofsky

Ms Swift may be a wonderful person, but she is no more than a Nashville Marketing creation. Someone in Nashville decided that country music had to appeal to 14 and 15 year olds who buy albums and download i-tunes. Thus they created Taylor and the many clones who look like her and they call it today's Country Music. Us real Country Music fans have been left out in the cold. Where I live in California if you want to listen to Country Music you need to subscribe to XM radio. Otherwise you are left with today's soft pop country, or as I call it MTV-Light.

November 18, 2009 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  13. kyleb

I was at country fest 09' and stayed about 5 minutes for Taylor Swift's show. (In MY opinion) Swift is a talentless, bubble gum pop singer who should never be classified under the country category. Johnny Cash would rollover in his grave if he saw what singers like her are doing to the industry.

In our past, it can clearly be seen that singers who explode with that much popularity right off the bat, will almost indefinitely burn out just as quickly as they fired up. Furthermore, singers like Swift and Miley Cyrus further "dumb down" the youth of today. I think that a puppy dies every time "Party in the USA," or "You Belong to Me" are played. It's rather sad really.

November 18, 2009 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
  14. bad mofo

she's lame, wont last

November 18, 2009 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
  15. Joel

Michelle,

Yes that is a serious question.

Even though the CMA's have had some AWESOME entertainers over the yrs. Lets take a look back at some previous winners.

2000 – Dixie Chicks: Natalie Maines – Need I say more???

1999 – Shania Twain: Very easy on the eyes, Over produced / over
    hyped.

98 / 97- Garth Brooks: Awesome record sales, Awesome live
    performance but vocals not that great.

And finally...

1987 – Hank Jr.: Awesome record sales, awsome live performances
    WHEN hes' NOT DRUNK. Slurred speech doesn't make for
    GREAT ENTERTAINMENT – but apparently the CMA's thought
    so.

So Michelle, my point is this.With the right producer an artist like Taylor can sound AWESOME on CD and not so great live and still make a killing. Which she did. Entertainer of the year.

Anybody else care to back me up on this ???

November 18, 2009 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
  16. barbara williams

Kanye West is a jerk always has been always will be. He proved
    it more because of what he to Taylor Swift. She has alot of talent
    and appears to be very sweet and humble.

November 18, 2009 at 9:23 am | Report abuse |
  17. CItyBuzzPty

Ok, Taylor is a great girl: nice, grounded, She is Real; and very Talented. Yeah, It seems to be. And Yes... could be, could not be...but she is doing really well and nobody can deny it. Everything else is just plain envy and jealousy. But Now people, Seriously: is it me; or there are a lot of angry boys writing here, that doesnt have the courage to come out of the closet and declare that they hate all girls in general. For Sure, they are all a bunch of frustraded 'machos' that never ever get a date !! Yes, you Bobbie and Arnold, Michael... you all guysl be free !! ... and go out of the closet and date another boys. I dare to bet you wouldn't be that bitter !! Uffff...really this make you feel more like men ??

November 18, 2009 at 9:02 am | Report abuse |
  18. Rebecca

I am not a hater. I was a classical vocal scholarship winner, pianist, and vocal coach for many years. (Not currently due to health.) But anyway, here is my take on Taylor:
    She has a great deal of creativity and charisma, and a little magic working.
    She is a fairly gifted writer for her age, but her songs are quite simplistic and similar... very heartfelt though. and catchy.
    Her singing is very ordinary, and live, it is actually quite off pitch, as others have noted. But I do like her. I am not against her.
    I think she is a phenom in some ways. But the writing and singing are not stunning by any means, (like say, LeAnn Rimes), nor are they country. I am surprised at the Entertainer of the Year award, but she has sold like crazy and country always acknowledges that, eventually. They did with Shania. (who by the way has a stronger voice).

With Taylor it is more the entire package she has that is appealing. She is very pretty, and has a fun way of being very natural onstage and off.
    I do think she is a good role model for young ladies.
    And, hopefully, her voice will get stronger. She is still very young and needs to learn to support it better.
    All in all – I like her!

November 18, 2009 at 6:11 am | Report abuse |
  19. Michelle

She may not be the best live performer but who really cares???

""
    Is that a serious question? Really? Well, answer is: anyone who knows that she shouldn't have won the Entertainer of the Year trophy at the CMAs. The fact that she is not the best live performer should have put her out of the running because that's what the EOTY award honors!

Back to the role model theme that keeps popping up. Why do you want your children to have celebrity role models? Taylor is best buds with Miley and Brittany, so she may not be perfect for long. Miley used to be sweet and innocent and everyone was buying their 6 year olds Hannah Montana purses and backpacks. Now she is pole dancing. Why not just encourage your daughters to look up to real life role models instead of celebrities?

November 17, 2009 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Joel

What is it with you people???

With all of the "brain dead" teen celebs out there right now, Taylor is a breath of fresh air to anyone who has children.

She may not be the best live performer but who really cares???

Even though I live just outside of "music city" I have never met the child or seen her in concert. With that being said, the stories told on our local news stations about her are always positive and that's what we need more of... A POSITIVE ROLE MODEL.

For those of you who don't get it – Try changing the station.

For those of you who don't like her looks – You must have issues with your self.

And finally...

For those of you who are so angry on here...

LIGHTEN UP !!! GEEEEESH!!!

November 17, 2009 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  21. kelly

I 'm 35 and a big fan of old school country , although there is a new country signer I like named Rissi Palmer, I had never heard of Taylor Swift until I heard the day after the vmas about kayne west and his stupidity. But I'm scratching my head at the fact that every one that seems to gush over Taylor Swift, seems to have this teenager on a pedistal. And the high you all put her on it, the harder that fall is going to be the moment she does anything that isn't cookie-cutter, innocent, or even dainty.

Yes, she's no Britney, Miley, or the others. But even Miley was innocent once upon a time. So was Britney( even though that was MMC days.. so long ago), Lindsey Lohan was a fresh freckled face kid still doing disney movies, LeAnn Rhimes was still that amazing 13 year old that could blow and mimic Pasty Cline, even Kelly Clarkson was younger, innocent, fresh faced version of herself during her AI days. But they all changed somehow that made those who praised them , turned to practically curse them out and point the finger of shame.

Yes, most are their own worst enemy, while others are crying for help, and then there are those whose parents are either not helping because they can't see it or they are the problem, or they're some who are growing up too late [or too early] and want to make their own mistake, forgetting they are in the spotlight.

Just becareful, making this young girl into something perfect when she's like eveyone else. Human, capable of making a mistake.

November 17, 2009 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Michelle

All these parents and grandparents drooling all over Taylor being a good role model for their kids and grandkids will wake up and listen someday and realize she is singing about personal experiences like dating a 16-17 year old boy with a Chevy truck at 12 years old (that's when she wrote it and she says it was a story from real life) and other relationships with boys that 5, 6, and 8 year olds shouldn't be able to relate to. My 16 year old hears TS music on the radio and either she listens if it is a less pop song or she comments "pop sells" and changes the station if it is a normal Taylor song. Sometimes, she comments that she wonders what 12-13 year old girl can really sneak out of the house to meet a boy and is curious as to why parents think that is a good influence. At 15, she wasn't allowed to be with an older boy in a car by herself because we have family rules in our house, so she can't relate to the song "Fifteen" either. She doesn't understand all the 5-18 year old girls who go gaga over Taylor and she really can't understand the adults who do.

Then again, my daughter was not brought up to worship musicians. Movie stars either. Who are her role models at age 16 then you ask? The former shuttle astronaut who is the president of the Museum of Flight in Seattle (Dr. Bonnie J Dunbar). An engineering professor she met at the University of Washington on a field trip last summer. (I can't remember his name but he is researching something she is interested in.) Her aunt who earned her WoHeLo award, Camp Fire's highest honor, in the 1960's. Her father and me. Imagine kids having real-life role models! The world would be a much better place if all adults encouraged that in their children.

Aside from not having celebrity role models, she's like most other teens. She plays guitar and writes music (and likes to sing when she thinks no one is listening). She does community service and fundraising for local non-profits. She is working on earning the WoHeLo award in Camp Fire. She loves to knit and design web sites. She listens to her iPod. You see, girls aren't required to have Taylor Swift and Miley Cyrus role models to get through their teens.

And for those of you trumpeting Taylor's win at the MTV awards... MTV doesn't give country music awards.

November 17, 2009 at 5:37 am | Report abuse |
  23. LXG

The only winner is Taylor and her family...$$$$!!! The music is crap, the bubbly theme is old, and she will be forgotten in a few years. Period. she'll reach a point of self discovery and began a trail of self destructive. Afterward, rediscover herself and create more music. Jeez!!! It's great to have millions of dollars.

November 17, 2009 at 1:31 am | Report abuse |
  24. Val Canez

Love her or hate her, Taylor is perhaps the biggest thing to hit country music in the past decade. In an age when many celebrities are partying, getting arrested and creating bad publicity, Taylor is and continues to be a great role model for this younger generation. Taylor kicks butt. She had turned down RCA and took a chance with a smaller record company that is now outselling every American recording artist, and with every major label, not just in country music, but in all genres. To accomplish this for a country singer is a big deal.

Her success is already international with major successes in Australia and Europe. Her music, which she writes or co-writes, is always very positive, unlike the majority of news stories and other music (even country music) out there. Taylor sold out four concerts in two minutes! That's an average of 30 seconds to sell out a show! She kicks butt! Taylor cares about her fans with the greatest level of appreciation an artist can devote.

Taylor was the first country music artist to win a MTV Video Music Award! This was a good thing for country music. In three short years she became the youngest person ever to be named the CMA Entertainer of the Year! She sold out the Staples Center, in LA, in two minutes! And the Madison Square Garden tickets were gone in 60 seconds! She kicks butt! To accomplish all this as a humble teen is phenomenal. It's about time this younger generation has a positive role model to look up to. Things could always be worse.

There are many singers out there who sing just as well as Taylor, or are just as cute but she has made it. She succeeded from being an underdog. She showed a lot of class the way she handled the Kanye incident. She is a great and talented performer. Taylor has reached the pinnacle of success that many Americans love and hope for, and she continues to extend that pinnacle as far as she can dream. I wish Taylor more success with good positive headlines.

November 16, 2009 at 10:59 pm | Report abuse |
  25. char

ive yet to hear taylors songs(im not into country much) but just looking at her, she seems pretty well adjusted, youre not seeing her shave her head or expose her privates, NUMEROUS times...or splashed all over the tabs clubbing, hopping from one guy to another... she seems like the wholesome all american girl next door appeal...i hope she does well w/ this shot of success...dont let it get to your head or destroy you, or make you think youre better than everyone else...

November 16, 2009 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Craig

Her stardom was bought and paid for by daddy!...being a musician in the locale she hails from, I know that she NEVER paid her dues playing in clubs and venues like so many others have done! Never even knew she was in the area here and then one day...there she is ...a Nashville star!!...She's 19...my guess is in 20 years no one will remember her or her songs

November 16, 2009 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  27. LBW

Faith Hill said that Taylor worked her tail off this past year and deserves the award. I don't get it. I thought it was about talent.

November 16, 2009 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Keven

Wow, chill out people, really. Taylor Swift is a talented, delightful young lady. For me, I think she represents, to a worldwide stage, what is the all American girl. She sings lovely, plays the guitar like an ace, has a charming disposition and all with no scandel. I pity those who choose to spend their time knocking this charming young girl. Taylor deserves her success, she has earned it. I would be proud to have a daughter, sister, friend like Taylor. You go girl.

November 16, 2009 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  29. CH

I hope Taylor stays the same and won't allow the media and attention change her. Miley Cyrus started out sweet, but now it seems like she is trying to be something she simply isn't. Taylor is a very lovely young lady with a big teenage following. Maybe this time the teenagers will have a good role model.

November 16, 2009 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  30. JJ

I agree Arnold, I get mad whenever I have to look @ Taylor Swift on TV, she just looks stupid, like she doesn't have a clue as to what's going on in the world around her, apparently the people giving her so much attention don't have a clue either, otherwise they would provide some better coverage. What Kanye did was wrong, but what he said was absolutely right. Taylor Swift did not deserve that award, or any that she received at the CMA's..hopefully next year a real country artist wins.

November 16, 2009 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Keith V

Great Blog! I wish there were more role-models out there like Taylor. I just hope she can keep her sanity and humility intact with all the media attention.

November 16, 2009 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Liz

Glad the writer didn't include among the reasons 'she has a great voice.' I wish whoever had told her she could sing hadn't lied to her like that. She may be a talented songwriter but her vocal quality is zero!

November 16, 2009 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Cilia

I would take Taylor as someone to look up to over any of the other girls out there (besides selena, shes a good kid) and im 24. When my niece who is 8 expression love for Swift it makes me a crap load happier than when she was on the Miley Cyrus bandwagon. Swift may be akward and shy but she is also poised, graceful, and humble. I think those are the true points of a star. She reminds me of an older time when stars were ladies (not to say weak or demure in anyway) but had a sense of repsect and dignity, like Judy Garland or Audrey Hepburn. those ladies had class, and so does taylor.

November 16, 2009 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  34. David

Some real negativism going on with some of the comments. What's up with that?

November 16, 2009 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  35. William

We all love Taylor, but would she be this successful if she were not so incredibly cute?

November 16, 2009 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Reign

It is nice to see a young lady that acts like she's got some home training and not out boozing, showing her butt, making a sex tape and all of the other crap, but for real, she's really not worth all of the hype. All of the awards are like, huh? Why? Her music is not country, its bubble gum pop, cute, but not worth all of the hype. I guess we're so tired of the other slutty acting young females out there that we're excited about a young lady not behaving badly. It is refreshing, I'll give you that, but all the awards??? Although, if we can continually reward bad behavior, what's wrong with rewarding good behavior for a change, I get that!

November 16, 2009 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Sue Ann F.

Even with me being 36 yrs. old I can remember what it felt like when I was younger by listening to her songs. She brings out the best in young and older listeners. I wish her the very best in the career!

November 16, 2009 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Scott B

I do not follow entertainers. I work 70 hour weeks, but when I see my young girls (WHO ARE 10 AND 6) enjoy singing and get excited when they hear her. I'm good with this. My teenage boys will also disagree with her hype. but with all the negative meidea why can't this young girl have a little time to make some children and some grown ups happy. there is always pain and horrer in the news thats a given. I will find my self listening to her in the car and I grew up a full blown metal head. Just want to say to all the haters (GET OVER IT)

November 16, 2009 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Ken

I agree with everything Arnold said. We need more Carrie Underwoods, not Taylor Swifts; i.e., we need more female REAL country stars like Reba, Martina. To me, all of Taylor's swift sound like a variation on the same tune and theme. I'm sure she's a sweetheart; I just find her music irritating. I switch her off every time she comes on the radio.

November 16, 2009 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Rachel

Let's just hope she can remain grounded and not let this rapid rise to fame and fortune change her.

November 16, 2009 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  41. lalayna

i think that she is an absolute breath of fresh air. her songs are just "okay" poppy songs but i dont think that matters. its just nice to see someone as "over-exposed" as she is not letting it go to her head. she comes across as a truly genuine girl who is way more mature than some women 10, 20, even 30 years older than she is, and i commend that.

November 16, 2009 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Ronnie

I dont mind the fact that she has this "golly-gee-wow" thing going for her, but what I do mind is that this is a repeat of the same old frail, blond hair fable that we Americans like passing along as the "choosen ones". Remember this, the media was in love with Brittany (until she went nuts), Hanna (until she tried to grow up), Dakota (until she kissed the young black male), Jamie (until she became pregnant at the age of 15), Amanda Bynes (until she wasnt the cute little girl anymore) and now its Taylor's turn. You, who are sooo in love with this status quo, will kick her to the side in due time. Taylorl, enjoy your 15 minutes. ......oh yeah, LEAVE KANYE ALONE!

November 16, 2009 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
  43. morgan thomas

I first saw Swift at a George Strait concert about 3 years ago in Boise. Sorry folks there ain't that much to be impressed with, physically or her voice. I can't walk, but I can see and hear just fine. There isn't much there.

November 16, 2009 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
  44. countrydude

Overall, I like Taylor as a person. She's bubbly and awkward and very cute. I don't really buy all the humble self deprecating stuff, maybe it's genuine...I don't know. My main problem is with her music, her lack of musical talent...her singing ability. I don't believe she writes her own songs...she might present some lyrics and a chord progression, but what you hear is a result of seasoned professionals and lotsa money. Of course, industry WANTS you to think she does...it adds to her mystique. I've NEVER heard her give a good performance... vocals are all over the place. I've heard 10 times better at my local karaoke bar. Her album is HEAVILY auto-tuned.

All said, she is a sweet girl and if the Country Music powers-that-be want her to usher in a new era of young fans and young starlets then they'll do that with Taylor. I personally would be very disappointed if Country Music got saturated with the pop ideal. It's a short term gain, but a long term crash and burn.

November 16, 2009 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  45. catherine

So, Bobbie, you don't like Taylor becuase she isn't cute?
    That's a realy good reason.

November 16, 2009 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
  46. Angie

You know, the last several comments have been nothing but condemnation for a very bright, exceptional lady. She has written many of her songs, so that alone gives her bragging rights- to which of course she does none of. Overexposure? We're still hearing about Lindsy Lohan and her bisexual life that personally I don't want to know any more about. Not to mention the drinking, drugs, court dates and messed up parents. It is so refreshing to see a role-model for my girls, and it could not have come at a better time. Give her credit where it is due. She is an awesome entertainer and has a great voice. Kudos to you Taylor- keep on rocking the mic, and keep showing them all that you are the big deal, we ALL were waiting for.

November 16, 2009 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  47. cajere

Just because someone may have had a good up bringing and is a "good" person doesn't mean she is necessarily a good talent. The fact is that Taylor can only sing about 5 notes and those not that well. She has written some teeny bopper songs that my granddaughters, 5 & 7, like to sing along to and frankly my 5 year old can even sing better. I don't see a long range singing career for her. She has a verrrry long way to go to have the voice of Carrie, Martina, Reba, Faith, Miranda and dozens more.

November 16, 2009 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
  48. joe

Wow, lot's of haters on here! Aren't you people appreciative of anything positive when you see it, or are you so jaded by the parade of pop tarts that have come before? I am not a fan of her music but I think her persona is a breath of fresh air. My daughter is a fan of hers, and I am thankful that Taylor is balanced enough to carry the weight of being a role model while practicing her art. Keep doing what you are doing, Taylor! You are on the right path!

November 16, 2009 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
  49. Carole

She's a pretty girl...but her talent is only good in the studio. Her perfomance on CMA awards was terrible.

November 16, 2009 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
  50. Lisa in FL

There is only one problem with Ms. Swift.....She can't sing. Flat, flat, flat. I guess those who like her have tin ears. Personally, she hurts mine when I listen to her. Especially at live performances. The girl cannot sing.

November 16, 2009 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
  51. Zonie

Yeah, she's cute, but I just don't get it. Her music is not that good or unique. She and her band have one or two basic melodies and they play the same chords all the time. I think everyone is caught up in Taylor mania and I'm sure it will come crashing back to earth one of these days – won't it?

November 16, 2009 at 10:36 am | Report abuse |
  52. Skip Humphreys

If I wanted to listen to "Bubble Gum Music" I'll tune in to the oldies station!That is all Taylor Swift sings...

November 16, 2009 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
  53. Amy Jordan

I speak for myself when I say I love Taylor Swift. Whether anyone else does or not really doesn't matter to me. She is very pretty and very deserving of everything she has gotten so far. I have been to her Fearless Tour. It is the best I have ever seen. She is a great entertainer. I'm glad she's not a Brittany or Miley. I don't have to worry about screening her songs for my kids. So bring more about TAYLOR SWIFT!!!!

November 16, 2009 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
  54. Sarah

She may be entertaining, but she sure can't sing. Listening to her live is like listening to nails on a chalkboard. Good thing the studio equipment makes her sound passable on the radio.

November 16, 2009 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
  55. Seamus

Bobbie–Arnold–Get your undies out of a bunch. We're talking about pure subjectivity here. If you dont like her, well you dont like her. Get on with your life and let her live hers. Few people are fans of the music I listen to, but who cares, you listen to what you like. However, I would bet a large sum that she will be around for quite a while, she cab write, sing and play....In short she has musical talent.

November 16, 2009 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
  56. Alice

Wow. As the mom of a teenage daughter, I'm GRATEFUL that there is a teenage singer out there who captures the attention of my daughter, manages the public glare and spotlight with perfect grace, and STILL manages to be a lady. Even when Kanye grabbed her mike, Taylor was nothing less than gracious and poised. Kanye made his own bed. Don't blame Taylor for HIS actions. She managed to take that insult and still go out and belt out a song while running through a NY subway. Pretty impressive for a young girl. By the way, kudos to Beyonce for being such a classy lady herself. Up until now, the Brittany, Paris, and Li-Lo's of the world have been the norm. Yesterday, my daughter and I were sitting in a car listening to Taylor's "15." It gave me the perfect springboard to remind my daughter that all of the "role models" out there aren't representative of what our world is meant to be. Her heart had just been broken by a teenage jerk who apparently subscribes to the idea that women are to be used and abused and then tossed away like so much trash. Not unlike the lyrics I hear from Kanye's music. Taylor tells girls to expect more of themselves and more respect from the men in their lives. Those kind of values never goes out of style, regardless of what we're seeing in the news. You go Taylor! I wish I could have gotten tickets to your sold out concert in our town next year. I'd gladly shell out $$ to help my daughter see your point of view. You're beautiful, funny, talented (as is clearly evidenced by the number of awards you're raking in–that many people can't be wrong), and a great role model for teenage girls.

November 16, 2009 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
  57. Cailyn

Ugh. Men. I mean, boys.
    Why does it matter if she isn't "even cute" ?... Or "bland physically"?

How does that take away from the point of the story – she is on top of the world and has managed not to flash her underwear, or better yet, flash she isn't wearing any!

In a perfect world, kids' role models would be their parents, teachers, and friends... but that is normally not true....so finally here's a young person that set a good example.

Every media story about her is one less about Jon & Kate, Britney shaving her head, or a Kardashian "wedding".

November 16, 2009 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
  58. Debra R

I neither love nor hate Taylor...sometimes she annoys me but the blog is correct...she is a normal teenager. Sometimes you want to hug her and sometimes you want to shake her.
    Yes Kanye was the obnoxious bully. No he should not have done what he did. If he had done it at a country music awards show he would have been thrown out for his rudeness. In myWalter Mitty moments I see him being carried off stage and into the alley by Trace Atkins, Toby Keith and Tim McGraw for a little "talk"
    I know lots of younger girls identify with Taylor and she is a heck of a role model for them. I just do not think she should have been entertainer of the year....any of the other niominees wre more than deserving.

November 16, 2009 at 8:58 am | Report abuse |
  59. Dan from Iowa

Taylor Swift is a true talent. I'm fifty-years-old, played guitar all my life, and I see her songwriting, guitar-playing, singing talent burst through on every song. She can be a little awkward on stage, but I've noticed this is already changing lately. I don't pay much attention to any of these headline grabbers, but Taylor Swift caught my eye, I watched a few videos, and now I'm a fan for life.

November 16, 2009 at 8:54 am | Report abuse |
  60. Linda P.

What's with all the haters? Of course, YOU wouldn't understand what all the fuss is about considering your genetic make up. Taylor Swift is a NICE girl......who happens to be incredibly gifted. She can sing, play guitar, and most importantly, that young lady can write songs that make the whole world sing.....and she's only 19-years old! What were YOU doing when you were that age? Hmmmmmm?

November 16, 2009 at 8:22 am | Report abuse |
  61. susiet123

Why would anyone make such mean comments about a young girl who has done no harm to anyone. There is no reason to be hateful toward this child.

November 16, 2009 at 6:19 am | Report abuse |
  62. Michelle

Taylor Swift is an OK Pop singer, but for the life of me, I can not understand the country music genre going gaga over her. What she releases is absolutely NOT country. It's not even cross-over, it is flat out teenybopper pop! I think the 4 Country Music Association awards on Wednesday must have been voted on to show up Kanye. She definitely did not deserve Entertainer of the Year after such a short period of time. I have seen every one in that category's concerts. Yes, even Taylor's before my 16 year old got sick of her pop music. Apparently there were a couple not-so-pop songs on the first album, but not after that and my daughter has lost interest over time. Taylor doesn't even compare to her competition for Country Music's EOTY. Not everyone LOVES Taylor!!!!

November 16, 2009 at 5:23 am | Report abuse |
  63. Michael Mainstream

Hey CNN.com,

Stop dumbing down to us. We don't care about Taylor Swift; she is just another media construct.

Why don't you mention the report by your sister station TMZ where Swift was seen partying with a fellow wearing a swastika?

I bet $1.5 million Linden dollars you won't publish this, manipulators.

November 16, 2009 at 3:25 am | Report abuse |
  64. Kel

We do? Let's be honest, if Kanye West wasn't drunk and being a complete idiot, no one would be writing this. I mean, it was a mean thing to do, but it's not like it's the worst thing that could happen to anyone. She's won awards and is making more money than she should be at just (however old she is).

Personally, I don't dig her music. I'll tolerate it. But I don't think she has that great of a voice and all of her songs sound the same. Seriously, if you played 3 of them, I wouldn't be able to tell them apart.

However I have nothing against her personally. She seems to me to be a level-headed and outright good person. I'd much rather a youngster look up to her than say, Miley Cyrus. But give me a break. Why do people always look up to athletes, singers and movie-stars. They're usually the ones that are messed up! What about people who make a real impact on people's lives? Soldiers, police, scientists, philantropists, teachers (who are grossly underpaid), or ... even parents?! Wow what a novel concept.

I think about the little kids who would have said their role model was Michael Jordan, and now it's Barack Obama. I'm not saying it has to be Obama, I'm not trying to politicize this at all. But it's great kids might look up to someone who got by on hard work, and intellect (not to mention going to college), rather than physical talents and looks and being famous.

November 16, 2009 at 2:14 am | Report abuse |
  65. Carol (McEntyre) Thompson

I wrote this in the wrong place on Facebook so will add it here for I think it needs saying, So, for what it's worth, here goes my opinion........

I'm really tired of the jokes, innuendo, comic routines about Kanye West and his stupid mistake he made getting up on the stage with Taylor Swift....over a MONTH AGO for heaven's sake. I don't care for Kanye West at all and like him even less but I am up to my eyeballs in alligators having to listen to this ongoing dialogue about Taylor and Kayne. My God, let the story die the slow death it deserves. Taylor wasn't brilliant in my opinion to interject Kanye's name during her speech. I actually thought it was childish and inappropriate during a time that should have been her shining hour. She should have bit her lip and not uttered the word "Kanye" but I guess that was too big a temptation. It was neither pleasant to listen to my most favorite country entertainers belt out a song, once again, with Kanye at the center of it. PEOPLE.....the guy isn't worth your time and talents that you devote to ragging on him. Try ignoring him for a change and maybe he'll go away. Really, enough is enough. Let's move on. You've beat this dead horse to death. It's no long funny, cute or entertaining. Don't stoop to his level by continually making him the center of attention that he doesn't deserve in the first place. Let Kanye move on to whatever it is that he does these days you you guys get back to making the best music in the industry. Thanks from a grateful fan.

November 16, 2009 at 1:17 am | Report abuse |
  66. WILMA

The best thing that could have every happened to Taylor, was to be dissed by idiot, Kanye. I hate country music, and so do all my friends. But what Kanye did to Taylor, was wrong. And so, we all like to root for the person who was squashed in their "well deserved" limelight. Taylor, your voice is nice, wish you sang more pop music. Maybe you will – in any rate, enjoy this ride....

November 14, 2009 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Donna G

Love her music. I have one question....didn't her mother ever teach her to stand up straight???? She is going to have a widow's hump before she is 25.....
    Posture, Posture Posture Please

November 14, 2009 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Arnold

Why we love Taylor Swift?.... Speak for yourself!!! There are lots of people who are totally turned off already with this Swift media overexposure. Just because your mike is grabbed away from your hand and made to look like a crushed flower onstage deserves some condemnation of Kanye, but on the other hand does not entitle her to all this media frenzy and adoration. She is a passably pretty singer who can sing a song passably well, but really a lot of us don't get it. She is really bland and, physically, at best worth a passing glance. She has no magnetic appeal whatsoever, and her pseudo-country songs are just about as irritating as bubble gum played a million times over. Yeah, let her irritate us more by hosting SNL twice, then shower her with awards, just to put the icing on the cake. WE ARE SICK OF HER, SO ENOUGH TAYLOR SWIFT ALREADY! She is not deserving of all these wasted media space!

November 14, 2009 at 7:50 am | Report abuse |
  69. Bobbie

Oh whatever!
    another freaking blond! That the media is pumping up and she isn't even cute. Talk about some other celebrities . Who decides who will become the next BIG STAR?
    The media focuses on the same people all the time. and it's boring
    So, she is right ! She's NOT a big deal !!

November 14, 2009 at 6:32 am | Report abuse |
  70. ella a.

She was raised well. And that is a rarity today, especially among those going into the music industry. It's really beautiful to see. I also do think that because she went the country route, her persona is more embraced; the country industry and country music listeners seem to love and promote girls like her. If she had gone the pop route when she first started, she'd be sexed out of her mind by now. She's a great example and seems to be a genuinely nice person. I wish her the best of luck...and I don't even listen to country music. Honestly, I only know one of her songs!

November 13, 2009 at 10:27 pm | Report abuse |