November 12th, 2009

'Dance' solos fail to impress

testing captions
testing captions

Many of the couples on Tuesday night's episode of "So You Think You Can Dance" didn't exactly have their best night with the judges, and things didn't get much better on Wednesday night's results show. Six seasons in, Nigel Lythgoe and crew expect a lot, especially when it comes time to "dance for your life," and they weren't terribly pleased with what they saw.

After a group routine by Dave Scott got the show off to a rousing start, the couples in danger were somewhat of a surprise. I thought that Mollee and Nathan definitely deserved to be in the bottom three, but voters thought otherwise. Kudos to Nigel for pointing out the obvious, that Nathan has the teenage girl vote all wrapped up, but that's not exactly teaching him growth as a dancer. Instead, Kevin and Karen, a couple with some of the best chemistry this season (despite a hit-and-miss hustle this week), faced possible elimination.

Joining them in the bottom were Peter and Pauline - proving that it's virtually impossible to draw the quickstep and not get the same result, and Ryan and Ellenore, two of the strongest dancers this season, who nevertheless faltered at hip-hop.

When it came time for the solos, following an electrifying performance by the Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater, Ryan and Ellenore were just as great as I remembered them from Vegas, while the rest were varying degrees of "meh" (Kevin, in particular, was a little too reminiscent of Twitch). After lecturing Nathan earlier in the show, Nigel had a lot to say about how weak he felt everyone's solos were, in comparison with some of the brilliance last season from Jeanine, Ade and Brandon. Last season had some unusually good solos, but if Ellenore's solo wasn't brilliant, I don't know what is.

The judges did make the right call in eliminating Peter and Pauline, though it especially pained me to see another tapper go. It's true that both of them showed less versatility and personality than the rest thus far (and losing Karen, Ryan or Ellenore this early on would be a real travesty).

Do you agree that the judges made the right choice? Should Nathan and Mollee have been in the bottom three? Share your thoughts on video or in the comments below.

1. Whisper

The talent this season is not good. I look for breakout stars like Ade, Jeanine and Brandon. I dont find that with this group. This group lack charisma and the high end energy. I do agreed that this is not a beauty contest but a contest of talent. Therefore, I am waiting for the standout to catch my eye.

November 16, 2009 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Ric Mo

Tapping on So you think you can dance is like putting an accordion player on American Idol. Unless you can add acting or dancing to your tap ala Gregory Hines lose the bowling shoes. Pauline truly danced for her life but I guess it was her time to go, I mean really what does "she likes to eat alot" tell us about her? We want more Teen Idols who are unable to act suave yet find "personal" watercraft socially redeeming. Who sees another Adam Lambert outing set-up coming on, after all Simon Cowl is the producer.

November 13, 2009 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Ric Mo

Ellenores solo was brilliant and her opening number performance stood out among the rest. Her father was mister pop and lock if she were to be hard hitting as Nigel desired Ryan would be gone, especially after his near face plant while dancing for his life. Oh, and thanks for finding away to tell us the sex vixen is now single and ready to mingle. And whichever producer is trying to reincarnate Twitch in Kevin, ... please, lose the Groucho Marx slash Humpty Hump glasses doesn't go well with the wanna be too sexy look.

November 13, 2009 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  4. wisemon

I agree with Dancer For Life. Also, I really enjoy this television show and the blog here on CNN. Thanks! I look forward to it every week!

November 13, 2009 at 1:24 am | Report abuse |
  5. Mary

I agreed with Nigel: Nathan is talented, but if he tries to coast through on his looks and popularity, that will only hurt his development as a dancer. Although I was impressed by Nathan's performance in last week's Bollywood number, this week, he looked awkward and clumsy. I was a little shocked, actually, but I believe he will rally next week.

Now, Nigel's comment to Karen was curious. He seemed to be warning her too, though in a roundabout way, about relying on her physical appeal. I *think* that's what he was trying to say. Well, eventually, she'll land something that will take her far out of her familiar zone, maybe a technically challenging contemporary routine, or even worse, a quickstep. I believe the foxtrot is the Dance of Doom for male dancers on the show, but this week reminded me that the quickstep is the Dance of Doom for everyone.

Too bad about the tappers, but I can't say I'm surprised.

November 12, 2009 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
  6. LoveSYTYCD

It's true that Nathan got put through because he's cute, but I think the judges were acting hypocritical. Adam Shankman went through saying how america should vote for their favorite dancers and the previous night said "hopefully america will save you" and america did. I usually love Nigel but I think that what he said was completely out of line. He insulted the American voters for not being able to get past looks (even though america was told to vote for their favorites, and let's be honest, Mollee and Nathan appeal to the age group watching the show the most) and then completely insulted Nathan for a harmless joke, even though Ashleigh's partner had made a similar type joke in saying "what part" referring to when he dropped the cane. Don't say "america vote for your favorite dancer" if you don't mean it.

November 12, 2009 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse |
  7. DancerForLife

Mollee and Nathan should have been in the bottom three. It's a dance show, not a good looks competition. Nathan's fans should realize that he was not up to par this week, and needed to be in the bottom three as a reality check. Dancers, such as Karen, should not have been in the bottom over Mollee and Nathan considering how well Karen did on Tuesday.

November 12, 2009 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |