November 11th, 2009

John Travolta talks family, loss with Ellen

testing captions
testing captions

John Travolta appeared on “The Ellen DeGeneres Show” today, thanking fans for their support during the past few months and bringing along a special guest: his daughter Ella Bleu! John said he was “holding back the tears” while talking about working with his wife, Kelly Preston, and Ella on his new film, “Old Dogs.”

This was Ella’s very first TV talk show interview, and she stole the show from her famous dad when Ellen asked her if it was hard to watch herself up on screen. Ella said, “Well, kind of, but it was really fun to see me… I was like 'Yes! Not only just my parents but it’s me up there too.'” What do you expect with two famous folks?

John also took the time to address his fans after the death of his son ten months ago: “I just want to take one moment to thank each and every one of you throughout this country, throughout the world for all your support and all your love for our family. Thank you very much.” Jett died in the Bahamas in January after suffering a seizure.

« Previous entry
  1. JPFurlong

My husband and I lost our only child in November 2006. I can you tell you now it does not get better it gets different. I use to cry everyday and now I still cry but I am able to remember more of his love, his laughter, and what a great father he was to his children. As my sister said when he died my grandson lost not only his father, but his best friend and his favorite toy. Take care and know you and your family are in my prayers.

November 16, 2009 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
  2. John

John Travolta is one of the few remaining true movie stars left in Hollywood. Too bad more don't share his character. Most actors today bring shame upon Hollywood and the craft of acting.

November 15, 2009 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
  3. sally

The Travoltas were treating Jett with medication and did everything
    in their power to try and stop his seizures. This was widely published.

November 13, 2009 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
  4. stephanie

My heart goes out to the Travolta family. I lost my only son 6 years ago, and, while the pain and loss is always there, so are the wonderful memories and the love I will always have for him.
    It takes a lot of work to plow through grief – and believe me, it is definitely work! – but in time the pain will not be so immense and you will smile again.
    John, your son will always be with you, in your heart.
    You are truly a class act and I admire how you have handled this in the public eye. That is tough to do.

November 13, 2009 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Rick

As some said previously, John Travolta is a class act and a a great human being. John, if you read these things, I want you to know my two young sons sit and watch "Michael" over and over and over. Thanks for making them laugh! May God bless you and your wonderful family.

November 13, 2009 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
  6. choyce2020

I too am very saddened by the Travolta family’s enormous loss of their beloved son Jett. It is something no parent should have to endure & I wish them well in their journey to healing from their loss. However, it makes me wonder if John & Kelley are sorry they did not admit their son (b/c of their Scientologist beliefs) had a disease that could have been treated w/medication? Perhaps, Jett would have lived a lot longer if they had allowed him to be treated w/proper medication. I would do anything to help my child live a longer fuller life including allowing a medical doctor to treat him & deal w/the church consequences later once my child was safe. Still I wish them the very best & hope they heal.

November 13, 2009 at 4:03 am | Report abuse |
  7. tanya

May the angels bless the path your family and you walk, for jett now resides with them on a new journey.

November 12, 2009 at 11:00 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Ron G.

Back in the Vinny Barbarino days of Welcome Back Kotter, I could not stand John Travolta. Since Pulp Fiction he has become one of my all time favorite actors. I understand that he is truly a nice guy and a smart business man as well. In light of the recent tragedy in his family I wish him and his family God's grace and hope he continues to bless us with his blessing!

November 12, 2009 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  9. RS

I was sad to hear about his son's passing, and I'm glad to see that he's doing the best he can with trying to live his life in the wake of such a tragedy. My heart goes out to his family, and I think that was very nice of John to thank the fans for being supportive. That just goes to show what a down to earth person he truly is.

November 12, 2009 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  10. LBW

I lost my only child three years ago and the grief is always there. My heart goes out to that family. I have a question though about that child's death. I read that Jett had almost daily seizures. There are medications that help control seizures. Was he given meds for this? Doesn't scientology prevent this? I just wanted to know.

November 12, 2009 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  11. char

john is a great guy, and sorry to see that he lost his son. but he has a wonderful family and seems like a nice guy. you deserve the best, god bless...
    i LOVED him in primary colors...very very close to clinton, its eerie. of course, i cant leave out pulp fiction either.

November 12, 2009 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
  12. Debra R

I wanted to send out my love to the Travolta family. They have handled the loss of their son with class and grace.

November 12, 2009 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
  13. samantha

From Saturday night fever to Urban Cowboy to so many other wonderful movies, John you have been a big part of my life. I always catch it when you are being interviewed by anybody. Almost glad i missed this one, i would have sobbed and sobbed. You genuinely seem to care about people and we all know now how much you love your family. May god bless your entire family, wrap his arms around you all and get you through this incredibly tough time. You are amazing John, amazing.

November 12, 2009 at 9:09 am | Report abuse |
  14. DeDe

It is against nature for a parent to outlive a child. This family has shown great courage and strength to overcome a very difficult time for the family. May the healing continue knowing that the memory will be forever.

November 12, 2009 at 12:02 am | Report abuse |
  15. jesseezzz

John Travolta has been a big hero in my life and continues to do so. He shows great strength and character. God bless him and his family and especially Jett.

November 11, 2009 at 10:39 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Casie

How wonderful to see John again. Sad and touching as well. I can imagine there were few dry eyes in the audience both at home and in the studio. May Jett's spirit be with his family always.

November 11, 2009 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
  17. pam

I am glad to see John and his family getting out some. The healing will take forever but the grief should subside in time. The Travolta family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

November 11, 2009 at 8:09 pm | Report abuse |
  18. ga

This man has more class in his little finger, than most people have in their whole bodies. It's unfortunate, that bad things happen to good people.

November 11, 2009 at 7:58 pm | Report abuse |
  19. J

You are a wonderful human being John. Bless u and your family !!!!!!!!!!

November 11, 2009 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |