November 11th, 2009

'I never doubted once,' country icon says

testing captions
testing captions

There's Young Hollywood, and then there's Young Nashville - bright, beautiful young music stars like Taylor Swift, Lady Antebellum and Jake Owen. But at the "57th Annual BMI Country Awards," the buzz was all about Kris Kristofferson, who was named the songwriting organization's 2009 Icon.

At 73, Kristofferson still has "It" - the charismatic swagger, the blue eyes that see the world with unflinching truth, the ability to tell gritty, haunting stories set to song, like "Sunday Mornin' Coming Down, " "Help Me Make it Through the Night" and "Me and Bobby McGee."

"You just look at him, and it's the lines on his face that tell stories. It's his hair. I know it sounds odd, but the guy's revered in a way that's usually in the same sentence with people like Johnny Cash, and Waylon Jennings and Willie Nelson," said Owen, who'd just introduced himself to "Mr. Kristofferson" a couple of minutes earlier.

Heidi Newfield added, "When he did 'A Star is Born,' he had women taking cold showers all over the world. He had a charisma, and sexy just oozes all over him. But you add this with the fact that he's a Rhodes scholar, and he chose this path rather than becoming a professor (Kristofferson turned down a teaching post at West Point to become a janitor in Nashville) - I think we're all the better for it."

Kristofferson broke down and sobbed for a moment, as Vince Gill, Patti Griffin and longtime pal Willie Nelson sang a touching trio of some of his best-loved songs. "The great thing about being a songwriter is you can hear your baby interpreted by so many people that have creative talents vocally that I don't have," he confided to us earlier on the red carpet. He laughed when reminded of how he came to Nashville in 1965, and gave up a promising career in academia for an uncertain future in the music biz. "My mother thought I was crazy," he admits. "I never doubted once that I was in the right place."

Next entry »
« Previous entry
  1. Monzer Masri

I really admire Kris body of work .. I remember how I got his marvelous album (Me & Bobby McGee) it was like a miracle. Yes It was always a miracle in a country like Syria to get such album like (John weasly Harding) of Bob Dylan. or (Stand Up) of Jethro Tull....I was going to meet a childhood friend of mine who went to work as a sailor. Who I didn’t see for a long long time. There in his parents’ house I noticed an album thrown without care beside him.. and when I asked him what that Salim ? he answered: Nothing.. some one left it in the ship and I took it. If you want it, it’s yours??
    So .. I full in love with all the 14 songs.. after that I got other Kris’s albums. The ones which said was successful and which was not.. and I loved them all .. I adore Kris Kristofferson even I didn’t like to see him in such small roles in some bad commercial Films.. But Kris well always stay my best county singer ever.
    Thanks Kris for your believe..

December 17, 2011 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Julia Simpson

Cool post. When will I get the rest details?

Julia Simpson
    warsaw escort

December 2, 2010 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
  3. teenage escorts

It was rather interesting for me to read this post. Thank you for it. I like such topics and everything connected to this matter. I would like to read a bit more soon.

Julia Kuree

August 31, 2010 at 10:14 pm | Report abuse |
  4. RL

have had the priveledge to see him in Ireland 16 times...from the times with Danny Timms til now as a solo. with a song list like his he captivates the soul.cost me a small fortune to follow him....but worth it. 'Why Me Lord' beat the devil outta me...should be in every worship book today instead of repetitive trance inducing nonsense!!! Godblessya Kris and keep your spirit.

November 18, 2009 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  5. maureen delaney

Doesn't anyone remember "Sailor Who Fell From Grace To The Sea"! Uncut version very steamy. "A Star" saw 3 times. Bobby McGee still makes me cry. Fortunately, KK has still got it going on. Kudos!

November 12, 2009 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Mark Edmunds

I thought that Waylon Jennings gave up his seat to Buddy Holly ?

November 12, 2009 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Laura

How nice it would have been to see this award show televised instead of the 4 hour, what laughably passes for country music today, extravaganza shown the following night.

November 12, 2009 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Brenda

What a wonderful song writer, actor, and man. I have melted in those blue eyes for years. When my dad passed away one of the songs at his funeral was Why Me Lord. I believe at one time Kris was in the oilfield as was my father. Even if not it is a great song for an old oil man.

November 12, 2009 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  9. MB

"And somewhere far away a lonely bell was ringin'.
    And it echoed through the canyons,
    Like the disappearing dreams of yesterday."

You just don't find words with meaning like that in the cutsie formula songs of mainstream country/pop these days.

The man is an American treasure. On my list of all time great song writers, he is in the top five.

November 12, 2009 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Alden

I love his songs, and I was especially moved by Sunday Morning Coming Down, when he said "It took me back to something that I'd lost, somehow, somewhere along the way." I remembered my Christianity that I had trashed, and Sundays certainly made me feel the same way at that time; lost and out of sync since I had abandoned Jesus Christ.

November 12, 2009 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Marcia Capella

When I saw him for the first time, I just fell in love. I was 18 and used to live in Brasil. "A STAR IS BORN" and a star was born for me.
    Still love him.

November 12, 2009 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  12. scotch

Sunday morning coming down. Best song ever written.

November 12, 2009 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
  13. T fox

one of the funnest movies ever, a made for tv western. Staring Kris was Sod Busters

November 12, 2009 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  14. Timmy

One of the great poets of our lifetime

November 12, 2009 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
  15. Claudia Sullivan

We never doubted it either!

November 12, 2009 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
  16. Carol

Love him dearly. I named my son Kristoffer after seeing "A Star Is Born". He is still sexy, and has beautiful hair, especially at his age.
    He's amazing!! Long live Kris Kristofferson!

November 12, 2009 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
  17. dixie

That was Waylon that gave up his seat on the airplane, not Kris.

November 12, 2009 at 10:12 am | Report abuse |
  18. Gman

I woke up Sunday morning with no way to hold my head that didn't hurt. The beer I had for breakfast wasn't bad, so I had one more for dessert....
    Truly classic. Would've loved to spend a year with him and Cash in the heydays.

November 12, 2009 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |
  19. Leslie

One of Country Music's Greats!! Named my son after him.

November 12, 2009 at 9:50 am | Report abuse |
  20. andrew

Have we forgotten his acting career. His dynamic performance as "Whistler" in Blade changed cinema forever. "Blades a daywalker." gets me evertime.

November 12, 2009 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
  21. Sybaris

I met Kris in 1985 while we were anchored outside the Persian Gulf. He flew out to do a USO show and I just happened to be at the right place at the right ime to meet him when he came aboard. One of the most approachable and gracious persons I have ever met.

Thanks Kris.

November 12, 2009 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |
  22. Jerre

Great to see that the people who are writing what passes for country music today can still appreciate those who write REAL country music. One of the all-time greats and a living legend, right up there with Guy Clark and Levon Helm as institutions who are still making and performing vibrant and relevant music. Thanks for all the memorable moments over the years, Kris.

November 12, 2009 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
  23. Joan

Anne Minnery, wrote a fabulous song called "Where Is Kris Kristofferson", that received fabulous radio airplay in Europe, but couldn't get any airplay in North America. A beautiful tribute to Kris. It was about her thanks to Kris for everything that the gave the world, through his music, his poetry and his presence here on earth. How nice to see him getting recognized and remembered. When the radio forgot him, his fans never did. And to Anne Minnery....you're question is now answered...

November 12, 2009 at 8:58 am | Report abuse |
  24. Chris W

I've always loved Kris's beautiful songs, and it's so nice that he won this award. It's richly deserved.

November 12, 2009 at 7:52 am | Report abuse |
  25. Marty

Mr. Kristofferson is a very talented man and truly deserved this award.
    All of his great musical achievements make it easier to overlook that atrocious remake of "A Star is Born."

November 12, 2009 at 1:22 am | Report abuse |
  26. DeDe

What can you say. He is what defines America!!!!!

November 12, 2009 at 12:56 am | Report abuse |
  27. NB

Not to take away from any accolades of Kristofferson's musical career but I wish to address the glorification of his military duty by some of the bloggers here. I was an acquaintance and neighbor of his in Germany

He was your regular helicopter pilot serving his tour there. Most pilots were slated for Viet Nam following these tours in Europe. Somehow he was offered a position at West Point which he turned down. He resigned and went to Nashville.

He wasn't doing anything more heroic than anyone else was who was in the military at that time outside of actually being in Viet Nam.

November 11, 2009 at 11:27 pm | Report abuse |
  28. John

I have had the great honor and privilege of spending a brief bit of time with Kris on two occasions in my life.

What you see onstage is what you see backstage. Kris is simply and wonderfully just 'Kris.'

November 11, 2009 at 11:04 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Alice

Kristofferson's writing contains the most heart-wrenching poetry ever written...and it has stood the test of time. Favorite album – Silver Tongue Devil...has countless examples of this...breaks my heart to listen to some of his works...but always worth a re-listen.

November 11, 2009 at 11:01 pm | Report abuse |
  30. BJ

Congratulations, Kris! I've been a fan since the silver-tongue devil days, and this award is well-deserved! Your lyrics never fail to touch me.

His voice is not beautiful or mellow. How can you listen to him, though, and not be moved by the fact that he's singing his life? That's like saying Bob Dylan shouldn't sing, or John Prine shouldn't sing. Forget traditional expectations, close your eyes, and let the moment take you away. I'd rather listen to the original singer 1000 times more than listen to lyrics being interpreted by a skilled singer.

Sallyforth, check out the Native American group Walela – that's Rita Coolidge, her sister, and her niece. They're wonderful.

November 11, 2009 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Chet Bush

I don't know Kris Kristofferson the singer, but rather KK the actor. "Convoy" was the first movie I saw on HBO, and I was a fan of KK ever since.
    I had to look this up. The article says KK became a janitor in Nashville. It should have said he went to Nashville to pursue a career in songwriting.

November 11, 2009 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Sharon D.

I met him once at a concert he had at our little amphitheatre. He was very nice. I love his songs and his voice.

November 11, 2009 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Bob

Nice catch, kaydeedee, thanks for clarifying.

November 11, 2009 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Brenda

Papa Kris, is a wonderful human person who deserves this and more! His helped soooooooo many families along the way and continues to give and love, his got the most humble children and wife that I have ever met, and of course that's his beautiful REAL HAIR! Que Dios te vendiga hoy i siempre Papa Kris i familia.
    Brenda, Thank you for all you're help.

November 11, 2009 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
  35. JR Jake

Kris has been a fan of mine since the 60's and I always knew he was one of the brightest but never knew he spent all that hard earned money to become a Rhodes Scholar, so he could push a broom. Now that is a man with 'a calling' to dare the impossible, and to live his dream.

Congratulations Kris, because you are well deserving of all good things and keep relying on your faith and belief in God because he knows all, and you still have alot to contribute. Thanks for your contributions and for paving the way for many to follow your path, and for us in the audience to appreciate your gifts. Congratulations and God Bless you and yours forevermore.

November 11, 2009 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse |
  36. W.D.

In addition to all of his other accomplishments, Kristofferson also helped bring Steve Goodman and John Prine to the nation's conscientiousness.

November 11, 2009 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Sm Shorter

"Great example of a storyteller who should never sing."
    Are you kidding me? Not all great voices are velvet.

November 11, 2009 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Tom

I dislike old men who still have hair, but if Kristofferson would just get to looking old I would be willing to approve in his case due to his music.

November 11, 2009 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse |
  39. yeager12

One of the few greats left. Absolutely love Kris and his songs.

November 11, 2009 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  40. tlfox

Our world was made a little bit better by KK.

November 11, 2009 at 8:51 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Joe

He was great in Convoy too!

November 11, 2009 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
  42. KC

Both my husband and I love Kris Kristofferson, we named our son Kris!

November 11, 2009 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
  43. not a fan anymore

kris kristofferson made Nasty comments about American solders
    involvement in the current Iraq war....

He's nothing more then your topical Hollywood elitist Celebrity !!!

November 11, 2009 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Adam

Kris will be performing at the Santa Clarita Performing Arts Center at College of the Canyons on January 16, 2010. We can't wait to see and hear him.

November 11, 2009 at 8:22 pm | Report abuse |
  45. kaydeedee

Bob, that was Kris's good friend Waylon Jennings who gave his seat to another and missed the plane crash that killed Buddy Holly, the Big Bopper and Richie Valens.

November 11, 2009 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
  46. rstrickland

Saw him in St. John's, Newfoundland a couple of years ago. He was excellent. I always listen to his song when I was in University in the 70s.

November 11, 2009 at 8:11 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Don

They don't make men like this anymore...

November 11, 2009 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |
  48. L

Every strand is amazingly, beautifully and naturally his own. I know because I cut his hair. End of issue.

November 11, 2009 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse |
  49. PsKing

My Dear Mr. Kristofferson-

You are a man that has has given, taken, risen and stumbled. Your tribulations, pain, gifts, and ultimate decency have been a precious gift to me. You have taught many of us that strength is a learned and practiced trait. I have admired you for many years and count you among those few in Entertainment that I would be honored to know. I hope you realize what a wonderful example you have set for so many of us. Thank you. Pam

November 11, 2009 at 7:30 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Lynashley

As a songwriter, yes, he's quite gifted. But whoever told him he could sing-–my fiance plays his old albums all the time and it drives me nuts when someone who can't sing, does. Glad he can write well tho.

November 11, 2009 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse |
  51. cfc1959

Oh my god, that voice. He must have taught the angels how to sing.

November 11, 2009 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Susie

Lord, what have I ever done
    to deserve even one
    of the pleasures I've known

Tell me Lord,
    What did I ever do
    that was worth loving you,
    for the kindness you've shown.

Lord help me Jesus,
    I wasted itSo help me Jesus
    I know what I am.

November 11, 2009 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Adrienne

Check out a recent interview with Kris in the Austin Chronicle article "Capricorn Jesus." http://bit.ly/29xE6v Really, really worth a read especially if you are a fan of Kris.

November 11, 2009 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Bob

Another interesting factoid not mentioned is that he gave up his seat on the plane that ultimately crashed killing Buddy Holly. Evidently he was the bass player for the winter concert tour and offered the seat up due to one of the other guys having an extremely bad fever.

November 11, 2009 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Alec

If you waste your time a'talkin
    to the people who don't listen
    to the things that you are sayin'
    who do you think's gonna hear?

November 11, 2009 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Sue

Get over yourself, Elaine....!!! I have loved this man for over
    35yrs and have seen him 3 times....he just gets better...

November 11, 2009 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Jackie in Dallas

@Jerry,

having met him once, I can tell you - that hair is all his!

November 11, 2009 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Bubba

I envy him his looks and songwriting ability, but more than that I envy him Rita Coolidge. He was hated by thousands of guys for getting her (like we had a shot).

November 11, 2009 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Sallyforth

I had the pleasure of seeing Kris and Rita in concert at Northrup Auditorium in St. Paul back in the 70s. Front row -middlesection-seats. (Some members of Rita and Kris' family were sitting right behind us) First Kris sang a bunch of his songs and then Rita sang several of hers. Then they both sang together. It was a magical concert, one that I will never forget. Both singers were excellent and when they sang together, it was heaven. Wish I knew what happened to Rita, as she is a great singer. Kris just keeps going, like the Energizer bunny. He is a class act. For that matter, both of them are!

November 11, 2009 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
  60. NotAFan

What I remember most about Kris Kristofferson is his rudeness and profanity at a college concert many years ago. I've ignored him completely since then.

November 11, 2009 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
  61. mike d.

RE: D. Carr, Houston, Texas

No, I believe Kris was never in Viet Nam, but served in the US Army in Germany

November 11, 2009 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
  62. JSL

An inspiration for 35 years. One of the great poets of our time. His voice has character and brings truth to the words.

November 11, 2009 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Elaine

I don't know. Something about him has always suggested to me that he never deserved Rita and that she suffered as a consequence of his vanity and machismo.

November 11, 2009 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Kaye W. Mathews

I started wondering who Kris Kristofferson was when I kept seeing his name as songwriter on other's records, then bought his first album. I still have it. I am glad he is happy now but he sure made some beautiful music with Rita Coolidge. His voice is not typical but it still sounds good to me.

November 11, 2009 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Tom

Slight correction on a comment – he was never in Vietnam. From IMDB:

"He is a former United States Army Rangers captain. He graduated Airborne School, Ranger School and flight school, served in Germany, volunteered for Vietnam as a helicopter pilot, but instead was offered a professor of English Literature position at USMA West Point. Disappointed that he was not allowed to fight in Vietnam, he resigned his position in 1965."

November 11, 2009 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
  66. jimdevo

I believe he did serve in Vietnam AND that is his real hair!! Anyway good going Kris. Sometimes I get him and Gordon Lightfoot and Nick Nolte mixed up. But he's very good at what he does. And a class act...

November 11, 2009 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Mitzi

He has been a part of my life for over 30 years. The silver tongued devel & I would play on my 8-track all the time. I fell in love with his voice and his lyrics. He is soulful and a great writer. Help me make it through another night is an all-time fave. Why me lord was an anthem for me during my teen aged years. I have never stopped caring for him. I find his voice and demeanor so charming. I fell in love with A star is born. He was as perfect for the part as Bard S was for her part.

November 11, 2009 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Ian

Not just a Rhodes Scholar and West Point instructor but also a helicopter pilot and graduate of the super-selective Pomona College. This brilliant and incredibly talented guy could have done anything he'd wanted.

November 11, 2009 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Mark Edmunds

Kris is the man!......His parents once told him he would not amount to anything......Well......Singer, songwriter, actor. Rhodes Scholar and as mentioned one the Army's best helo Pilots...I met him at Willie Nelsons birthday party. Keep going Kris!

November 11, 2009 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
  70. JudyL

I saw Kris in concert about 3 months ago, and it was such a thrill for me. I have enjoyed his talent since the 70's. I have known all the words to his songs for many, many years. This was the first time I got to see him in person, and he did not disappoint me at all. Yes, he was older, and during the concert, it was funny, because he blew his nose continously – I thought that was so funny. He is a real person, and a real talent, but certainly very humble. He is definitely one of the last remaining Icons in music. I still remember his great duets, with then wife Rita Coolidge. Great couple, great music together.

November 11, 2009 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
  71. asmith4626

It's good to know that fiery independence receives it's just rewards. Where many a man would have fallen, Kris may have staggered but always stayed on his feet. A musical icon that we should look up to and show our due respect when the occassion arises. Here's to ya Kris. God bless.

November 11, 2009 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Charlie Ocean

He helped shape my life.

He sobbed?

Well, hell, he WROTE these songs and lived them. I just listen and I sob sometimes.

He's my secret buddy. If we ever met, I think we would get along fine.

November 11, 2009 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  73. drdirt

got money Jerry is bald...don't be a hater

November 11, 2009 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  74. YEC

Looking at the picture CNN chose to include with this story, I am reminded of Mark Twain–also a quintessential American storyteller. I'm glad he chose the path he did. "Professor Kristofferson" is just too stuffy for this guy! Congratulations, Kris! And, thank you for your service to America, both military and artistic.

November 11, 2009 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Jordan

You have to admire Kristofferson, for many reasons in addition to his amazing song writing talents. He served our country, is extremely intelligent and hard working, and he was simply bad-ass in the Blade movies!

November 11, 2009 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Andre S.

Class act all the way.

November 11, 2009 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Will S

He never served in Viet Nam. That said, he is a remarkable individual; Army Captain, helicopter pilot, Rhodes Scholar (Oxford), Golden Gloves boxer, etc.

November 11, 2009 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  78. carol

What was the song that Kris did with Rita Coolidge? Early 70s I think....

November 11, 2009 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Don Lehn

I saw Kris in concert about 30 years afo..KK it's been a while since you came to Vancouver..hint hint

November 11, 2009 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  80. James

It is very appropriate that this article came out on Veterans Day given Kris Kristofferson's service to this country. Too bad the writer didn't bother mentioning that part. Thanks for music and the service Kris!

November 11, 2009 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Moonchildiva

'Bout time! Country music needs this kind of talent and class UP FRONT. Congrats to Kris!

November 11, 2009 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Lynne

I've loved him for 30 years. How often do you get his blend of courage, sultry soul, smarts, and amazingly hot looks all wrapped up in one smokin' package? I'm glad to see he's still got it!

November 11, 2009 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Pam

I fell in love with Kris Kristofferson years ago when "The Silver Tongue Devil and I" record album came out. And now that I have it also on MP3 it gets played all the time. I haunted a record store for weeks until they finally took a huge promotional poster of him down and gave it to me. He went with me through many a dorm room and apartment. Those sexy blue eyes and his gravely voice melted me.

November 11, 2009 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Melissa

Kris is one of a kind. Jerry – are you kidding me? Of course that is his hair!!!

November 11, 2009 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  85. char

i love kris! i loved him in "fire down below" and in the blade movies....also a sexy, dapper older gentlemen...only recently i discovered his career in music too. mulit faceted, multi talented...definately one of a kind, hands down.

November 11, 2009 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  86. D. Carr, Houston, Texas

I cannot believe that on Veteran's Day you did not acknowledge his service in Viet Nam as a heliocopter pilot. My understanding is that Kristofferson saw serious action that left him tormented for many years after getting back to the U.S. Bless him and all fellow vets for their service to our country.

November 11, 2009 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  87. barbara Schmieding

his music makes me cry and it makes me smile. Kris is definitely one of a kind.

November 11, 2009 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Peggy

Love, Love, Love Kris Kristofferson. What a loss if he had decided to go into acadamia.

November 11, 2009 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  89. Rick from NH

I'll never forget his performance in "AMERIKA", maybe it wasn't a classic movie his performance left a lasting impression. His Pledge of Allegiance was moving! Great star!

November 11, 2009 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  90. ronbsmoov

Kris is the coolest. Always liked him. A definite mainstay and living legend.

November 11, 2009 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  91. Curtis

Great example of a storyteller who should never sing.

November 11, 2009 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  92. GH

Writing country like they don't write it much anymore. One of only two remaining Highwaymen (the other being Willie Nelson, another great) - and among the last of the country icons. God bless him.

November 11, 2009 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  93. alumette

Does not get any better than that. He made all the right choices and decisions. Always follow your bliss!

November 11, 2009 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
  94. Jerry

Kris is a very talented writer, but that's not his real hair, that's a wig.

November 11, 2009 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  95. Jeff

Sunday Mornin' Comin' Down!

November 11, 2009 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  96. Pamela

Well deserved. Great songwriter. Brilliant man. And still sexy!

November 11, 2009 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  97. Zigman Bird

Ya gotta love Mr. Kris Kristofferson...

November 11, 2009 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Debra R

Kris is a very unque and talented man. he has earned this award.

November 11, 2009 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |