November 10th, 2009

Gamers, here's a real 'Call of Duty'

Plenty of hard-core gamers called in sick to work or school today, having been in line at midnight to grab a copy of "Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2."  As expected, the reviews of the latest title in the series are glowing, with one taking special note of the realism of the opening scene at a U.S. Army base, and praising the believability of the setting.

But there's realism, and then there's reality - and no one's likely to make a videogame about the real difficulties many Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Marines face making the transition back into civilian life.  It can be extremely tough to find jobs, especially in this economy: according to Activision Blizzard, the publisher of the Call of Duty series, more than 500,000 unemployed veterans live in the United States.

So the game isn't the only thing Activision Blizzard launched today.  The Call of Duty Endowment, or CODE, is designed to raise awareness of the issue, and help fund organizations that provide veterans with job training and placement.  Activision says CODE will receive the proceeds from sales of "Modern Warfare 2," which should jump-start its fundraising nicely.  The non-profit's first grant: $125,000 to the Paralyzed Veterans of America, to help build a new vocational services center in Boston.  CODE's directors say they hope to raise millions more for such projects.

We glorify our fighting men and women in games like "Call of Duty."  We honor them when they fall.  And many of us will take at least a moment tomorrow to remember them on Veterans Day.

Let's remember them in between those times, as well.

1. KillerMark

No MW2 no dec server, I will not play the game.

November 14, 2009 at 3:27 am | Report abuse |
  2. Alan

This game is sold all over the world so why just the veterans in America. Being an ex British soldier dont we count in this Sorry this game is not for me it discriminates agains clans and Veterans better to give the Money to the people that help us than line the pockets of Activision who will do anything to make you buy the Game.

November 13, 2009 at 7:18 am | Report abuse |
  3. James

I support the Paralyzed Vets, too! I've been doing that for 25 years and I'm glad to see more people getting involved.
    I have never served in the military, but I believe we owe them all the respect and support we can offer.
    You get up from a COD game and leave the room, vets come home from war and must re-learn how to be an every-day person again. The emotions of war change you somehow, and we should all be there to support them.

November 12, 2009 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
  4. Rick

Waiting on Modern warfare 3....

November 12, 2009 at 7:07 am | Report abuse |
  5. Andrew

Ok so some of these people don't want to defend their freedoms (by joining the military), they also don't want to run for office (to try to make a better government), and yet (as we all know) they sit in the comfort of their own homes and piss and moan when someone steps on their freedoms. Interesting concept.

November 12, 2009 at 12:07 am | Report abuse |
  6. Haze

As a member of the united states Air Force serving in the middle east at this time I want to say that things like this really help us out. They really make a diffrence. Its a diffrent world out here, alot diffrent. and brian where do you get off sayin that boy, your lost kid.

November 11, 2009 at 10:36 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Sgt USMC

Why do people need to slam this article? They are looking at it all wrong. Its an article about a company doing something they believe in and want to help make changes in someones life. So why all the bashing? Would you bash them if they wanted to study breast cancer research, child abuse prevention, or rape crisis teams??? NO you wouldnt.

It doesnt matter if they have it for PC or not. The article wasnt about that. It's not about the quality of the game either. Its not a cover up because it was released on Veterans day. As a vet, I'm actually glad it was released today. I think it was a sign of respect. They have started a company that will better then lives of America vets. How or why would you make this some personal stage to vent your frustrations? Its stupid....come on....stop thinking to much into it.

Be happy someone stepped up the plate and it ready and willing to help. We need other companies like this to do so.

November 11, 2009 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Kevin

COD:MW2 is a great game (360 gamer).
    Unfourtunately game releases fall the same day each week.

I own 100s of games (>$10k worth). And by todays standards it wouldn't be a good game if it didn't cross some controversial lines. A game making you think is phenomenal, so congratulations to everyone who is commenting, regardless of your opinion.

And any major company donates to charities of their choosing, however it can be hard to find readily available information about this.
    Mostly I believe the CODE program was set-up to offset negative media for it being released on veteran's day.

November 11, 2009 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Ted

Hey, I thought this article was good, why the thumbs downs?

November 11, 2009 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Ugo, Los Angeles

Good article and good for ATVI to give back. The rest of the people reading this article looking for game news...might I suggest someting other then CNN?!?!?!

November 11, 2009 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
  11. hmmmm

borisof007 said : "Infinity Ward is a retarded developer and I hope they die in a fire."

boris,I have to go off topic to say this is just the kind of dumb remark that gets people into trouble and your having said it may mean your doing it might not be too far from just a thought. Your mind really may wish to enact such a thing and the mind can become easily warped by depression, teen hormone changes and even poor nutrition let alone alcohol and drugs. (heaven forbid you actually are an adult saying that or anyone capable of such an act... but who knows)

Where I live , some older teens lit a building on fire, not thinking of the consequences. They are now up for murder. How long they go away for depends on whether the judge believes they didn't intend to start the fire. Your having made such stupid remarks might be remembered by someone in the future. think about that...

November 11, 2009 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Yuēhàn

JM, JB
    I am a veteran, I served in the U.S. Air force, I also have a home in Changsha, Hunan in China, My wife is chinese. I also am a dual citizen, American and Canadian
    China is a capitalist country with a communist government. The average citizen does not pay taxes, but, they also do not have guaranteed jobs, guaranteed health care, unemployment insurance, or any of the benefits that americans take for granted. My chinese mother in law in currently in the hospital and I am helping to pay the hospital bills.
    Do you people know that it is easier for an American to enter and leave China than it is to enter and leave the US of A?
    Just because we have a military does not mean that we need to attack anyone who has a lifestyle that differs from ours. I lived in Saudi Arabia in the early 1980's, I never had any issues with the Saudi's. leave others alone and they will leave us alone

November 11, 2009 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
  13. typical woman?

Freddro, a man's view of a typical woman is in his mind, shaped like Barbie, wears stilettos and has dinner ready when you ask for it. Although some still wish us to be freakishly feminine and dependent, we are all different and many females have enlisted and served for their country in any way possible.

Before they were allowed in combat.. . women lined up to help as nurses, pilots and truck drivers and during major world wars became the head of family, did the jobs their husband's once did in the factories AND volunteered in thewar effort.

My mother served overseas in WW2 and I take offense at your flippant remark.

November 11, 2009 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  14. borisof007

PC Gamers get screwed again. It's not about whether the game was made for one platform or another, it's providing the proper support for the platform that it will be on if you decide to make the game. FPS games that are playable for the PC should have dedicated server support and the ability for modding, it's what made Half Life so popular and what created Counter Strike. Blizzard should know this very well with Warcraft 3 and DotA, modding leads to creativity and better sales overall anyway, so there's no reason to take it away.

Infinity Ward is a retarded developer and I hope they die in a fire.

Also, thank you Blizzard for the donation, if only more companies could follow suit. : )

November 11, 2009 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Kitty

I didn't read other's comments, because there seems to be debate i don't care to partake in, so these are my views, not comments on what someone else said. (it's long)

We raise each child differently and I tried hard to keep the violence from my son. Reality is, the world is filled with violence and war. As he turned a teen, I did allow him to play some violent games , but with parental guidance and disclaimers that war is anything but fun. 3 of his grandparents and 2 great grandparents were in WW2 and 1 and today he is in an honour guard at the Cenotaph.

I remind him often that violent video games are what the military uses for soldiers to desensitize. He is also required to volunteer by myself, his school and his Scout troupe to be a compassionate human who cares about others in reality. His education, friendships, fresh air and exercise have to come first as well so he isn't addicted.

He is the most non violent young teen I know. When confronted and struck in the face by a teen older but smaller, he pulled the Tshirt over the kid's head and said he could have pulverized him, then let him go. Should he be a violent person, I would not be writing in the same manner would I? Hopefully I would be trying to curb it.

Violent games most likely CANtrigger violent tendencies in humans. Isn't it everyone's job though, to learn to suppress them?

I won't allow limb ripping terror to be a part of the violence. if this game is showing combat strategy without all that real gore, then I may allow it... more so because I can speak about how the Company is at least trying to shift focus to the reality of war outside of the game.

November 11, 2009 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  16. DJ Johnson

To the trolls: it's easy to lash out or say "cry me a river", but I seriously doubt you ever would have had the guts to take up arms and defend your country the way these people have. I know I couldn't do it. I'd freeze. So I'm grateful that there are stronger people who can do that. Imagine what the world would be like right now if we hadn't had extremely brave soldiers willing to storm the beaches at Normandy, or chase the Germans back to Berlin? Sure, the missions since WWII have been cloudier and harder to grasp, but the soldiers have been no less brave.

And to the scolder making the free speech speech, yeah, you're right, there IS free speech in this country. There should also be freedom to scorn those who say hurtful things just because they like to. Trollism isn't free speech, it's anonymity-enabled aggression. Face to face you can bet most trolls would stop to consider the venue. Is this article's comment section the venue for saying random, nasty crap about the people who defend us? I just don't see it. Your birthday party isn't the venue for me to roll in and start saying hurtful, insulting things about you. I can, because we have free speech, but why should I? Your family would tell me to take it somewhere else, and that's all we're saying to the trolls, really.

November 11, 2009 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  17. PigVomit

All of the "brand loyalists" are just lemmings giving in to the hype of a program that only provides a precentage of the total to the troops and vets it is purported to assist.
    Want to do something worth while for veterans or serving troops? Go volunteer for the USO, local VA hospital, or VFW. That will do some good.
    As many people are fond of saying around the holidays your presents aren't nearly as valuable as your PRESENCE. Time can not be bought only given or shared. Give something invaluable.
    Brass Pair hit's it on the head. The game is a calculated shift to cripple the PC gamer community in order to put customability and mods (read PAID downloadable content / maps etc) back into the developers hands. I do not blame IW for this as they are a company trying to make money. However I will not support thier business tactics, I will not purchase this game.
    Don't vote with your words...vote with your wallet, corporate america learned that lesson decades ago, it's time that mainstreet america did the same.

November 11, 2009 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Cranium

I think I'm either in love with - or have been separated at birth from - Lab Rat! If Bryan didn't like the article, he could have just sighed, appreciated the good will of the company, and moved on to something that excited him. Kyle . . . well, Kyle seems like the kind of guy who would hide behind his grandmother in a bank robbery. Yuehan, how about we start by taking the police out of YOUR neighborhood and see how that works for you. 10 to 1 you're the first whiny little girl calling them when you feel threatened or in danger. Better yet, how about we send YOU out of the country so that you might better appreciate the freedoms and liberties we have. I wonder how you'd feel about living in a country where a response like yours would get you beheaded?? That's what happens when you you take away the people who fight for and protect our freedoms.

God Bless all our troops and our public servants at home!!!!

November 11, 2009 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Horvath

Oo-rah! Great article.

November 11, 2009 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Matt

I wonder if Left 4 Dead 2 and Valve will raise money for Zombie awareness. >.>

November 11, 2009 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Tom

OK.. First I want to thank my brothers and sisters around the world that keep the freedoms that we all have safe. Second @Bryan you are right keep the Blog on track. I was hoping to learn a little about the game. It is nice to see that A/B donates some profits (Tax deductable) to educate and train us when we get out. Third I bought 2 copies for my friends still in the sand box and I am sure that with the dial up capabilities we enjoy over there it will be great.
    So to all the people who do not enlist, I hold no ill will to any of you but please take a moment while you drink your Red Bull to think about those who are drinking hot water out of a dusty bottle and waiting for 3 hours to use the net just to post a PIC of them holding the COD MW2 that was sent to them this morning. (Thanks SSgt Velez & SrA Jones)
    Also my spelling is bad so have fun correcting all my errors.

November 11, 2009 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Debra R

I'm thinking a draft would be a great idea after seeing some of these posts. Then instead of playing at war, they can get actual experience and the next time they open their traps, they will know what they are talking about... spewing venom is always easy when you don't know what you are talking about....

November 11, 2009 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  23. SA

SpookyX, I was directly addressing this game because I had just read the Herald article, and then I read this one. For the record, I don't approve of ANY media that glorifies violence, especially of violence against the innocent. It's a struggle I have to take up with my 16-year-old son (who is an avid computer gamer) quite often. We always talk about what goes on in the games he plays. Sometimes I give in when it seems as though the violence isn't gratuitous, grisly or committed against innocents. Lots of times I say "NO" to the games he's interested in, and he grudgingly accepts (and usually understands) my decision. He's home sick today and I read the New Zealand Herald article to him. He was appalled and said he didn't understand why game companies have to make games like that. This is a smart kid who doesn't want his brain polluted by that stuff (nor does he want it polluted by gratuitous sexual imagery in games - he disappointedly turned down another game he wanted this morning, his own decision, because he read the reviews and it was full of sexual stuff; yep, I've got a great kid; he doesn't watch those kinds of movies, either). There are great games out there that don't involve a ton of this kind of stuff (the Civilization games come to mind). I applaud my son, but wish I could count on the gaming industry to help me in my goal to raise a compassionate young man with integrity, a sense of what's truly right and wrong, and respect for women.

November 11, 2009 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  24. D.C.

Good cause for the Veterans.

November 11, 2009 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Mike in NJ

Lab Rat got it right. Sounds like a great game, and sounds like a great thing to honor the veterans' sacrifices and help those who have given us all so much. I salute you, heroic men and women of the US Armed forces.

November 11, 2009 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Freddro

@ Becky...You're right, no one forces you to enlist. Does anyone know what the Draft means, care to tell Becky? Yes Becky, because we have enough volunteers to keep the numbers at goal, Uncle Sam doesn't have to Draft(force) entry into the military. You're a typical woman, sitting in the backfield talking noise. It's OK, you're just a product of your environment so blame those that influenced your life. Have we ever had a Draft before, anyone care to enlighten Becky.

November 11, 2009 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  27. good god...

Gamer's Dad, Welcome to the internet! You didn't think that people will care, did you?

November 11, 2009 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Modern Warfarer

Shoot, I meant to add a Thank You to our troops serving currently and those who've served in the past. Your nation owes you a great of gratitude that can never be paid.

To the person who suggested donating to Brook Army Medical Hospital, thanks for the great idea. I see Walmart has X-Box 360's for $199 and you get a $100 gift card back. Lets see how many we can send.

November 11, 2009 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  29. e

Yuēhàn November 10th, 2009 11:38 pm ET

I salute the men & women of the military. Thank you, and God Bless you and your families...I also salute my fellow brothers & sisters of Law Enforcement. This goof is just example of those who don't respect us, until they need us. Let's hope lil' Yuehan there doesn't need a cop anytime soon. Keep fighting the good fight here at home, and God Bless America.

November 11, 2009 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Modern Warfarer

SA, hope about having a little firsthand knowledge instead of being all bent out of shape over the "endorsement of civilian terrorism". I got the game last night and have played the terrorist level. In the game you are part of an ultra-elite unit assigned to work undercover and infiltrate the enemy. It is the enemy who plans and carries out the attack, you're only there posing as one of them. I wont go into more detail as I dont want to give anything away to gamers who haven't played the level yet, but it is far from an endorsement of civilian terrorism.

November 11, 2009 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Chris

You can donate directly to C.O.D.E. here without buying the game:

callofdutyendowment.org/?page_id=206

November 11, 2009 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Sharron

Decide for yourself! Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 released just days after the US suffered 2 of the worst massacres of innocent civilians, by civilians AND military personnel-in this game the player, acting in the first person as a CIA agent, can become a terrorist and slowly, callously and methodically, murder innocent civilians in a Russian airport-Check it out yourself on this technical reviewer gaming website, Lensoftruth.com; lensoftruth.com where a user has posted a link to youtube, so that potential buyers can critique it for its content-even some of these "professional gamers" seem appalled at the context and sociopath-style of the violence in this particular segment of the game, and in my opinion, we are all exposed to enough violence and terrorism in the real world. Most of the staff and viewers seem amazed at the technology and graphics aspects of COD also. Read the review and analysis for their comments. Check it out here and decide for yourself!

November 11, 2009 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  33. SpookyX

SA- Yes there is a scene as you described but have there not been hundreds of movies that show innocents killed? Most gamers I imagine probably played that part with a lump in their stomach but it does make you ponder questions like does the ends justify the means. It is disturbing but there are a lot of disturbing things in movies, novels and tv that are just as questionable. I played it and imho it did not seem gratuitous.

November 11, 2009 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Dave

I was pleasantly surprised by Activision's CODE effort. FOX and Fiends did a story on this game this morning but was mostly concerned that playing games like this could lead to more Fort Hood moments (rolling my eyes). Of course they didn't mention the game's makers helping Vets because that would actually be Fair and Balanced.

November 11, 2009 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Gamer's Dad

Brian is free to say whatever he wants, no matter how shallow or immature........and everybody else is free to bash him. That's America! By the way Brian, it wasn't an artickle about the game, sorry to blindside you.

November 11, 2009 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Brass Pair

I applaud Activision for donating to help our servicemen. They give their lives for all of us so I raise my hat to them.

But, I stop there.

This game, CoD: MW 2 commits a greivous crime to PC gamers around the world. It does not:

a. Have dedicated server suport.
    b. Support mods.

For these reasons alone I refuse to buy the product. If they want my dollars, they need to not revert to pre-1996 peer-to-peer technology and give us a proper online experience. They should be ashamed. I will take my money and donate it directly to the armed forces before I pay for a half-completed product.

November 11, 2009 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Emersone

It is amusing to watch naive idiots praise a multibillion-dollar corporation like Activision Blizzard for being "patriotic." Google the phrase "tax write-off" and then google Activision Blizzard's annual earnings, perhaps then you will understand their fiscal motivation.

In a fiscal quarter - every three months - Activision Blizzard's direct net revenues exceed $1,038 million and its indirect net revenues exceed $801 million. In the previous fiscal quarter, the company's direct net revenue was $1 billion and its indirect net revenue was $775 million. Their annual income is staggering.

Yet Activision Blizzard only donated 1 million dollars to start this fund.

They donated a paltry 1 million dollars... and they earn billions each year.

Billions.

This so-called charitable act is the equivalent of the king donating one penny - one penny - to start a charity fund and the ignorant peasants praise his benevolent nature.

Activision Blizzard earns a thousand times that amount every three months. It is the richest and most ruthless game-publishing corporation in the industry. If they were truly patriotic, they would have easily donated a far larger sum, but they only needed to donate 1 million for a tax-write off and good publicity. Yes, good publicity given to them by the likes of CNN.com, a news bureau that doesn't even understand that Infinity Ward actually made the game, while publishing vultures like Activision Blizzard reap the big profits.

Welcome to the real world, you patriotic knuckleheads!

November 11, 2009 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  38. JB

Yuēhàn –
    Freedom of speech doesn't mean you can say whatever you want and no one can respond to you – it means you can say whatever you want, and the govt can't put you in jail for what you've said. The rest of us have freedom to call you an idiot if we want to. Freedom goes both ways.

And if you really don't believe the government or the armed forces protect your freedoms, try going to Tehran and exercising your freedom of speech there...see how far it gets you.

November 11, 2009 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  39. nicole

To the person who bitched this article was "written like a blog" and therefore poorly written....
    ....No s***! What gave it away? Perhaps the title "The Marquee BLOG"? Or maybe the other clue "About this BLOG"....

I find it sad that our youth today are whiny spoiled brats with no understanding of the sacrifices our military go through. Yes, they made that decision. They also helped you keep your right to be a whiny spoiled brat, so shut up and go play with your new video game.

While the article headline may have been misleading, that is beyond the point. It is nice to see that the profits of a game based on war, that has made many people rich, giving back to those who have fought in a REAL war, not one on a TV screen. They truly deserve it.

Thank you to all the men and women who serve in their respective countries military. Let's not forget there are hundreds and thousands of people all over the world fighting and dying to keep their freedom everyday. It is not just localized to 'America', and remembering shouldn't just be today.

Never forget..

November 11, 2009 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  40. SA

From what I just read at the New Zealand Herald, this is an extremely violent game that includes a scene where the CIA agent takes part in a terrorist act in a Russian airport to keep from "blowing his cover." Innocent civilians are mercilessly gunned down, some while trying to crawl away "through trails of blood," while others are screaming in the background. According to the Herald article (nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10608725), even hard-core gamers find this scene "disturbing." While you can opt out of playing this scene, I find it extremely disturbing myself that the game would even include such a horrific and unacceptable scenario. So it sounds to me like they're trying to make themselves look good by coming up with this endowment. Yes, it's a good thing, but it doesn't change the fact that this company endorses violence against innocent civilians of any country. It's just WRONG, WRONG, WRONG, and someone at CNN needs to bring this to light. So don't buy this game and "endorse" the company's warped values. Donate to US Servicemen some other way.

November 11, 2009 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Matt

People complain too much... It's part of what is wrong with this country. A company does a good charitable thing and people go out of their way to change the subject and whine about the stupidest things.

My thanks go out to the troops.

November 11, 2009 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
  42. gs

I think it's pathetic that so many of you want to "play" war in a realistic game. If you think war is so cool join the Army. You won't need a realistic game.

As a 20 year veteran of the military I'm sickened that this was released on Veteran's Day.

This is lame.

November 11, 2009 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Wolfendude

This game is great, but I hope the U.S. Army doesn't bring back the draft. If you think about it, the whole war in the Middle East is just for the oil. I don't understand why people go risk their lives in a place where they can never win, and they're told that they are risking their lives for freedom, when in reality they are risking they're lives to fill government wallets. So, to all veterans, NO THANK YOU!!!!!!

November 11, 2009 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Debra R

RE : Yuēhàn
    "....The sooner we get our military out of other countries the better..." I am sure the Kurds, Quatis and Jews from the concentration camps would agree with you

"....We need to discharge most of the psycho killers in the military... They have been trained to kill anyone who is deemed to be "the Enemy", regardless of age or intent..." Vietnam and Korean vets could explain all about the women and children who hid weapons on their persons to better ambush the soldiers or how many Vietnam vets tried to disarm a bomb that was attached to a child by it's parent

"....It might be a good idea to get rid of most of the cops too. There are too many cops who think that they are still in the military and that the general public is their "enemy"..." Sure let's let anarchy reign. Without police and military we have no freedom. 99% of our military/police serve with honor and dignity. It is a shame that people feel they must trash them on veteran's day.

November 11, 2009 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  45. Ben K

This is a pretty lackluster article. This is CNN, how about some professionalism?

November 11, 2009 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  46. one of the girls

I don't even own a console, but I'll buy a copy for CODE's sake.
    I've never served in the military (Lousy soldier material), but I am grateful to those willing to put themselves on the line for the rest of us.

@ Yuēhàn :if you don't like it in the US, you are always free to leave.

November 11, 2009 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
  47. Tom

As a veteran, I think it's always good to see corporations making millions of dollars donating a piece to a good cause.

On the topic of people bashing veterans/government and other items of the like: I smile a bit every time I see someone hoping for the government to fail and to bash our veterans/current military members. Little do they know that the reason why they're permitted to speak their mind is because of the freedoms the Constitution and the security the military provides.

November 11, 2009 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  48. sickboy

It's great to see Activision Blizzard do this for the vets.

As for other people's statements regarding the freedom of speech. Yes you have freedom of speech and the government cannot persecute you for your opinions per se, however that exact same freedom of speech does not protect you from other peoples opinions and their freedom of speech. You can say anything you like, other people also have the exact same rights and freedom to disagree with you and your statements.

November 11, 2009 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
  49. Debra R

RE: Yuēhàn:
    "... our freedoms are NOT PROVIDED by the military or the government... right. God endows all with freedoms...the government and the military provide the protection so our natural freedoms are not taken away from us. Freedom cannot exist in a vaccuum. It needs protection. If you are not willing to protect your freedoms yourself by running for office or toting a gun, then you could be at least grateful to those that do these services.

"...the corrupt government of the U.S...." are you speaking specifically of this particular administration of the US government in general?

November 11, 2009 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
  50. Clayton Ladd

This is a great step for Activision for a game series that shows, maybe not directly, what some of these veterans have been through. As someone serving now, all I have to say is thank you Activision.

November 11, 2009 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
  51. Lab Rat

Hmmm, I thought Bryan was the biggest idiot to post comments on this, but I see I was mistaken.....two new contenders have emerged....

Kyle...you are absolutely right, no one forces anyone to enlist (anymore, that is). Instead, they volunteer to sign up...they hope for the steady paycheck (which is much too low for the risk they assume), endure grueling physical training, and then get sent to a foreign land to do the duty they have sworn to do. They see their best friends get shot, mangled, blown away, and they bear those scars for the rest of their lives. And no one forced them to do that, you little worm.

Yuehan....your opinion is even less worthy, being as filled with ignorance as it is. Someone answered your post, saying correctly that Bryan has the freedom to post his idiocy (again, a freedom that is defended by veterans and active duty soldiers) and it's still here. It wasn't deleted; it wasn't edited. Neither were the dissenting opinions. Just because you (and he, and Kyle) have the freedom to post that nonsense doesn't make it correct, though. I'm too angry to write anymore; any further comments would probably not make it past the CNN "political correctness" police. Remove your cranium from your sphincter before you deride the military. Or, better yet, leave this great country and return to whatever pit from which you emigrated.

November 11, 2009 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
  52. CAPTJOE25

All you people. stop this nonsense debates and arguments. today, we celebrate Veteran's Day. Its not your day to make an ass out of yourself. just remember to honor all the servicemen and servicewomen of the US Armed Forces. For those people who did not serve. pick another day to make your idiotic pathetic opinions.

November 11, 2009 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
  53. Paratrooper

Yuēhàn –

Perhaps the PRC would be a better place for you? Or if you want no police or military, how about a remote region in Afghanistan? I'm sure you can sit there and get your fill of non-corrupted "freedom" there as you define it.

November 11, 2009 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
  54. Alan

I think's it's nice of them to do such thing. I mean, what do they have to lose? All that money they make should be used for other things than making more games. It's kinda pathetic though people that play those kind of games never pay respect to the "real deal". I mean, I play Call of Duty, and i love it but it's also important for us to know where those games are based from and what they're going to "teach" us. I'm sure Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 is a very good game. I haven't played it yet, but for what I know so far it's going to be a terrific game. Activision should keep doing what they're doing and keep supporting our troups!

November 11, 2009 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
  55. Scotty P.

Love the game and meeting all the people at the midnight release was great. All sorts were there, and really shows how games can stretch across all boundaries.

November 11, 2009 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
  56. TDragon

@ Scott – Well said

@ PC Gamers – Stop crying. It is annoying to not have dedicated servers but take the game for what it is. There was good purpose for producing this game and gives real depiction of war. All in all, just enjoy the experience of a well made game.

November 11, 2009 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
  57. Jim Bob

COD 4 was the last game worth playing. World at War was a rip off and I'm sure this one is just about as bad. Maybe Blizzard will come up with another "new" idea someday, instead of beating a dead horse year after year. Remakes and add-ons seem to be the norm now. Originality is longer required by the consumer. This seems to be the case with everything now from cars to movies.

November 11, 2009 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
  58. $Jose$

good game

November 11, 2009 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
  59. Sporkie

It's things like this that make me proud to say I'm a gamer. This is probably one of the best things a game company has done in a while. Though I can understand why people were mislead by the title, I don't see the point in complaining – it's called subtlety and a play on words. I actually think it's clever, and after actually READING the article, the title makes perfect sense. It's not that it's misleading, it's that people simply don't appreciate not having something spoon-fed to them.

Would you have read the article if it was entitled something obvious? Probably not – it was the uncertainty about exactly what they were talking about that made you read it.

Anyway. Kudos to Activision Blizzard and CODE, and I hope everyone spares a moment today to honour Veteran's Day.

November 11, 2009 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
  60. E

Glad to see that someone is willing to help our unemployed vets. CODE is really a good idea considering how most vets are just shunned like it's their fault that a war was caused. Really hope this changes some lives for the better.

November 11, 2009 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
  61. Debra R

To all you who serve in our miltary and their families...thank you... I pray for you all every night and morning. You are my hero and heroines

November 11, 2009 at 10:28 am | Report abuse |
  62. mike

have fun... play game.... live to fight another day.....:)

November 11, 2009 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
  63. Norm

Nice to see Blizzard doing this. Their games are so popular because of the realism created by consulting real armed forces people in the making. The comment by the punk Bryan surprises me. I bet he doesn't even play COD.

November 11, 2009 at 10:21 am | Report abuse |
  64. orbus

is it me, or did Bryan's comment – and all the ensuing backlash and defenders make this article way more interesting?

November 11, 2009 at 10:10 am | Report abuse |
  65. Vicki

This article was obviously written in about four minutes, maximum. It looks more like a blog entry than what I'd expect from a professional news site.

I couldn't care less about FPS games, but I wanted to plug Child's Play real quick. See, the vast majority of gamers are really good people, and for years the guys running this webcomic have been running a charity which helps children's hospitals get games and gifts for the kids during the holidays. It's been very successful. And there's no purchase required to make a donation. Google it and take a look!

November 11, 2009 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
  66. Nate

This game is for casual gamers, CNN please correct your use of "hardcore". No self respecting hardcore gamer would go near this game

November 11, 2009 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
  67. DeviantGuardian

"kyle November 10th, 2009 10:19 pm ET

yawn. cry me a river. no one forces a man to enlist."

And if all those men hadn't enlisted/commissioned on their own 60 odd years ago, you'd be speaking German...

Just sayin.....

Thanks Activision/Blizzard

And thanks to all the vets and those serving now.

November 11, 2009 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
  68. Rich

This game blows! Atari 2600 Combat is way better! LOL!

November 11, 2009 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
  69. Gary

Kyle your comment says you are a young, naive, spoiled brat. Grow up. You are correct, no one forces men and woment to enlist. But thank God not everyone is as self-centered as you are. Thank God we have men and women who are willing to put their lives on the line to protect YOUR RIGHT TO WRITE WHAT YOU DID.

Get over yourself.

November 11, 2009 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
  70. Hitobito

Kudos to Activision Blizzard for establishing the CODE fund! If anyone is really interested in helping our wounded vets, please send video games, model airplanes, hand held video games to the Burn Center at Brook Army Medical Center, Fort Sam Houston, Texas. Soldiers who are recovering from explosive blasts (IEDs), need to use their damaged hands and limbs for rehab. I contributed to this two years ago and send not only games, model airplanes and video games but also video gaming units. I received a nice letter from their CO. It was a small gesture to those who have sacrificed for our country!

November 11, 2009 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
  71. Becky

November 10th, 2009 10:19 pm ET

yawn. cry me a river. no one forces a man to enlist. from kyle

What gives you the right to say something like that...these men and women do this for your freedom! your a jerk and sadly they pay with there life..how dare you make a comment like that

November 11, 2009 at 9:29 am | Report abuse |
  72. Scott

Yes, Bryan mispelled a single word. But how some of you think he is anti-Veteran is beyond me. My inference from his frustration is that he clicked on the article thinking it was about the game, and he was disappointed to find it was about a charity.

Frankly, while I think the charity funded by game proceeds is a fantastic idea and a great way to give back a little to those who sacrificed so much, I also think the article sucked. CNN has a nasty habit of misleading readers with headlines, and on numerous times I've clicked on something only to find it was very different from the direction the headline implied; they unnecessarily waste my time. Why can't CNN simply give a realistic headline, like Military Video Game Gives Back to Vets? Are they afraid nobody will read it? Based on the comments I doubt it.

I hope Bryan improves his spelling, but I don't want to see him stop ranting against this kind of bait and switch headlining by cnn.com

November 11, 2009 at 9:25 am | Report abuse |
  73. fermatsenigma

If you don't stand behind our troops and support them, please, feel free to stand in front of them.

November 11, 2009 at 9:25 am | Report abuse |
  74. JM

@Yuēhàn

How was his right of free speech limited there? His post is still here. People were just using their right to disagree with him. A basic understanding of these rights would be nice if you're going to say something like that.

If you think our rights are "not provided" by the government and military. Try living in China for a year, then fly on down to Iran for another. Try enjoying every right you have here in one of those countries.

Anyway, thanks Activision Blizzard.

November 11, 2009 at 8:54 am | Report abuse |
  75. Cris

The game is great and CODE fund is a great idea. Thanks Activision/Blizzard. And a Happy (belated) Birthday Marines. Oohrah!! From a former US Navy Corpsman.

November 11, 2009 at 8:53 am | Report abuse |
  76. Gordon

Bravo, Activision Blizzard,. It's actions like this that build brand loyalty and pride, while also supporting thoroughly worthwhile causes.

Thank you for supporting those who sacrifice for the rest of us.

November 11, 2009 at 8:51 am | Report abuse |
  77. Dirk

no dedicated servers – no COD MW2 !

better i give the 59,99 directly to the veterans

November 11, 2009 at 8:19 am | Report abuse |
  78. Henry

Yuēhàn-
    Ignorant, but correct on one part. Our freedoms are actually guarenteed by the constitution, as set forth by our Founding Fathers. The men and women of this country are sworn to defend it and this country against all enemies, foreign and domestic. Out Founding Fathers of this coutnry drafted that document to chisel our rights into history. So....
    1. Grow some manners and respect those who are laying down thier live, freedoms, time, dreams, and honor to defend your rights so your lazy butt doesn't have to. You don't have to agree – but you will respect thier sacrifices...
    2. General George Washington didn't use his right to Freedom of Speech to win our independence from the British. He and his soldeirs used thier right to Keep and Bear Arms, and shot them at close range....
    3. On this day, you might want to get past your selfish self and thank a veteran for your right to complain, put others down for thier sacrifices, and grow up a little.

Sincerely,
    an American "psycho killer"

November 11, 2009 at 7:46 am | Report abuse |
  79. Zato

I'm glad to see the Activision is supporting our veterans (Thank you Vets for your service) but I will not buy this product because Activision DOES NOT support the PC customer base!

November 11, 2009 at 7:43 am | Report abuse |
  80. IW Sucks

Too bad they screwed over the PC gamers. I'd love to donate to this charity by picking up a copy, but I refuse until Infinity Ward actually produce a real game for us on the PC.

November 11, 2009 at 7:06 am | Report abuse |
  81. D Butler

It is a shame that they have abandoned the PC gamers. There are petitions going around with over200,000 signatures, game servers with "boycott MW2 preceeding their name. All because IW will not open the game to dedicated servers. This is a shame. Looks like it is back to the other series that does support this.

November 11, 2009 at 6:22 am | Report abuse |
  82. Kevin

I think this country needs to reinstate the draft. Then all these young people who have nothing better to do than whine, complain and bad mouth everything for the fun of it have something better to do with their time.

November 11, 2009 at 5:56 am | Report abuse |
  83. Corbin

I wasn't sure if I would rent this or buy it. Now I will buy it for sure. Great marketing idea to sell more games and also help out a great cause. If this one is as good as the first Modern Warfare it will be awesome. Great job Activision and our Vets.

November 11, 2009 at 5:27 am | Report abuse |
  84. Brian

Thanks for the excuse to buy a video game....thanks for helping our troops
    ...for those others who don't understand...reguardless of what you believe you still support the troops...they died..and are dying for you..fool

November 11, 2009 at 5:25 am | Report abuse |
  85. truthsayer

@Yuēhàn

Your defense of 'bryan' no doubt falls on deaf ears, as I'm sure as soon as he left the comment, he then immediately clicked over to youtube to watch hobos beat on each other. I'm sure he appreciates the sentiment though.

November 11, 2009 at 5:01 am | Report abuse |
  86. Locke757

activision is a blight on the industry, sapping franchises of any actual good quality games by releasing new iterations every year. this is a ploy to get an astronomical amount of good publicity. the fund for veterans is a great idea, but are things so bad that our veterans have to get funds from videogame companies? take what you can, i understand, and i'm sure it'll help a lot of people...just seems flimsy. oh yeah, and about the bryan dude-Free speech people. he may not spell well, but he's got free speech.

November 11, 2009 at 3:36 am | Report abuse |
  87. Trace

kyle November 10th, 2009 10:19 pm ET

yawn. cry me a river. no one forces a man to enlist.
    ===============
    Hey Kyle, some guys grow up in much worse economic situations than you do, and to them, trading the possibility of dying in combat for a chance to get technical training, college tuition, or just a way out of poverty is the reason they join. Now go ask daddy and mommy for some money to buy the new COD game for you PS3 or XBox 360.

November 11, 2009 at 3:08 am | Report abuse |
  88. Thomas

Yuehan, you are right that the military doesn't provide freedom, the Constitution does that. The military PROTECTS those freedoms that the Constitution provides. We will only continue to have freedoms as long as there are men and women willing to protect those freedoms from those who are willing to fight for it.

November 11, 2009 at 2:22 am | Report abuse |
  89. lh

@Yuēhàn
    Why is Bryan the only one allowed to express his opinion? If other people don't like what he said, they have the right to disagree as well. Freedom of speech is for everyone, not just for people you agree with.

November 11, 2009 at 2:05 am | Report abuse |
  90. Gamertime!

As a former Video Game tester, I know about the conditions for workers at Activision Blizzard QA. Hundreds of temp workers, fired at a moment's notice...

Maybe Activision should give the proceeds of their game to the Activision Employee Fund. They should hire salaried workers.

Also, Call of Duty in no way honors soldiers or victims of war. It's "just for fun," nothing more.

November 11, 2009 at 2:00 am | Report abuse |
  91. Robert

A great action to develop and establish CODE. As a veteran of Afghanastan and Iraq it is about time for someone to do something about the difficulties in combat.

November 11, 2009 at 1:49 am | Report abuse |
  92. LtWildcat

As a Lt in the National Guard, I am very happy to see the CODE fund established. Our troops have a difficult time adjusting after going through what they do overseas, even more so if they were injured. Thank you Sgt USMC for your service in that Corps (Oohrah!!) and a big THANK YOU to Activision Blizzard for stepping up and helping the troops!!!! Your contribution will be much appreciated by all it touches troops and families alike. Thank you Thank you Thank you.

November 11, 2009 at 12:55 am | Report abuse |
  93. Dan

Kudos to Activision Blizzard. I was going to buy your product anyway but now I am all th emore happier to do so.

Happy Birthday and Semper Fi to my fellow Devil Dogs!

November 11, 2009 at 12:49 am | Report abuse |
  94. Greg

First and foremost, thank you to all of the men and women that have served this country in both peace and war. Your sacrifices are often overlooked. It seems that the reality of war is often stuffed deeper in the newspapers as things drag on. There are broken bones, families, and dreams of what was to be. Blood, sweat, and tears made this country what it is and shall continue to be for years to come. I am proud to be an American and hope for peace among men, but in the meantime it is nice to see that there are companies like Activision giving a little something back to those that fight for our freedoms.

November 11, 2009 at 12:37 am | Report abuse |
  95. Flyboy

Sgt USMC – I agree with you and your praise of the effort going forth to help our less fortunate brothers and sisters. I have been fortunate to remain on active duty even after my injuries, but my best friend and fellow crewdog is struggling, so to see something like this come from the private sector reminds me just what we have been fighting to protect. Happy Birthday Marine! Ooo Rah!

November 10, 2009 at 11:50 pm | Report abuse |
  96. i

look. i understand that yeah there all these unemployed vetrans, and its good that activision made this CODE thing. but like i could care less about the hardships for being a real soldier not saying idc about what they go through but im saying this is a video game, if i wanted to know the hardships then id go in the army..

November 10, 2009 at 11:47 pm | Report abuse |
  97. wow the speeling police have landed

Who cares how he spells.

Blizzard has nothing to do with this.

this game blows for the PC IW ruined the best FPS series there ever was. GJ.

November 10, 2009 at 11:38 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Yuēhàn

why are you guys giving Bryan a hard time? I thought that we had freedom of speech in this country.
    But according to some of the posts, Bryans freedom is only allowed if he agrees with the "veterans" views.
    Grow up you guys, our freedoms are NOT PROVIDED by the military or the government.
    Our freedoms existed before the government and will exist after the corrupt government of the U.S. is gone.
    The sooner we get our military out of other countries the better.
    We need to discharge most of the psycho killers in the military anyways. They have been trained to kill anyone who is deemed to be "the Enemy", regardless of age or intent.

November 10, 2009 at 11:38 pm | Report abuse |
  99. Raoul

@Activision Blizzard =/= Blizzard

Technically, considering the merger that happened last year, Activision and Blizzard are the same company. When gamers refer to one, the mean it's official name, Activsion Blizzard. It's just from the older times when they were separate companies.

November 10, 2009 at 11:16 pm | Report abuse |
  100. It's all Vivendi

It's all Vivendi. Whether it's Activision, or Blizzard, or since they're combined now, Activision Blizzard.

Bravo to them for this, also the game is quite good, and most of it is frighteningly plausible.

November 10, 2009 at 10:27 pm | Report abuse |
  101. Gin

I have never played the Call of Duty series; however my husband has and has already purchased the next in the series. I do believe we will have a second copy of the game in my house, even if I never do play it. Thank you Activision for supporting our US Military. I salute you.

November 10, 2009 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
  102. kyle

yawn. cry me a river. no one forces a man to enlist.

November 10, 2009 at 10:19 pm | Report abuse |
  103. William

I think it's great that a company would use the success of one of their products to help a good cause

November 10, 2009 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
  104. Activision Blizzard =/= Blizzard

Sgt U SMC - the company that did this is Activision Blizzard (not Blizzard), the more important half being the Activision half, since they are the people who run the Call of Duty franchise, including this. Just saying, credit where credit is due.

November 10, 2009 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
  105. Robert

Awesome! I applaud a gaming company for doing such a noble thing for those who sacrifice so much. More incentive for me to buy this game too!

November 10, 2009 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
  106. Some kid that likes to put stupid comments

this article is an article no need to fight just READ!!!!!!

November 10, 2009 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse |
  107. Sgt USMC

As a former unemployed vet, I'm happy that my other brothers and sisters are going to have it better then I did. I applaud Blizzard for taking the time and effort to start something like this.

Happy Birthday to all my fellow Marines out there too.

Semper Fi Devil Dogs.......234 years and going strong.

November 10, 2009 at 8:20 pm | Report abuse |
  108. Articel > Bryan

Happy to see something like this. Kudo's to Activision and thank you to those who have served, and are serving now.

November 10, 2009 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
  109. Lab Rat

Bryan, a) the word is spelled "article", b) there is no inappropriate time to honor those brave men and women who wear our country's uniform and put themselves in harm's way. Next time you want to deride, remember that it is a veteran that gave you the freedom to do so. If you had more than one working brain cell, you may have been able to deduce that the main point of the article was to call attention to the establishment of the CODE fund.

November 10, 2009 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
  110. Kim

I'm not a gamer, but I'm glad to see something good coming out of them. Interesting twist I did not expect in this article.

November 10, 2009 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse |
  111. scott

yes this articel sucked "hardcore"...

November 10, 2009 at 8:14 pm | Report abuse |
  112. truthsayer

It's ok, bryan, I'm sure you were just angry about clicking on an article with 'call of duty' in the title it that actually had something meaningful to say instead of the usual drivel you get fed from the gaming blogs you no doubt frequent. You can go now.

November 10, 2009 at 8:09 pm | Report abuse |
  113. Mark

Bryan, your spelling sucks. Stick to school

November 10, 2009 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
  114. bryan

This articel sucked.. stick to the game, or stick to Veterans Day.
    2 thumbs down