November 10th, 2009

Demi Moore prefers 'puma' title

Seemingly ageless actress Demi Moore turns 47 tomorrow and she is blaming her age on the loss of all the good blockbuster movie roles.

“The frustrating part is that the type of roles I'd be interested in are not really coming to me. I hate to say it's a function of my age – but yes, I think in some ways it is,” Moore told W magazine in their December issue. "The majority of [female] roles are geared between 25 and 35. I know I have an eccentric, obsessive-compulsive side. I'm looking for roles that reach into that quirkier place."

Moore has become more famous in recent years for her marriage to “That '70s Show” actor Ashton Kutcher, 16 years her junior, than for her acting chops. But even though she accepts all the press criticism with a quiet grace, the actress told the magazine she doesn’t understand why she has been singled out as the poster child for May-December relationships since she isn’t the first older woman to marry a much younger man in Hollywood.

“I’m certainly not the first person to be in a relationship with a younger man, but somehow I was plucked out as a bit of a poster girl,” Moore said of her six and half year relationship with Kutcher. “I don’t know why that is. But I just kind of step back sometimes and say, ‘There is some reason, and what is it that I have to share in a positive way?’”

The “Ghost “ actress also told the magazine if people feel the need to assign her a label she prefers the title “puma” to the more derogatory “cougar.”

While Moore may not be getting the big studio roles she does star in two upcoming independent films, “Happy Tears” and “The Joneses” with David Duchovny. She is also the face of Helena Rubinstein’s new “Wanted” perfume.

Filed under: Celebrities • movies

« Previous entry
  1. onlinehealthmedicine

What a great web log. I spend hours on the net reading blogs, about tons of various subjects. I have to first of all give praise to whoever created your theme and second of all to you for writing what i can only describe as an fabulous article. I honestly believe there is a skill to writing articles that only very few posses and honestly you got it. The combining of demonstrative and upper-class content is by all odds super rare with the astronomic amount of blogs on the cyberspace.

January 30, 2011 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Hugh Fergo

I came up with the definition of "Puma" years ago. a "Puma" is a cougar in training, usually between the age 35-39 that goes for a younger man that is usually 7-9 years her junior. a "Cougar" in my definition is a woman that is 40+ that goes for a man that is 10+ her junior.

I've been trying to convince people for years of the Puma and they said it wouldn't catch on. I think Demi Moore just gave me some credibility to the phrase.

November 11, 2009 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse |
  3. LusciousDC

I'm 44 and my man is 36. I can take or leave the term "cougar". Don't take it so personal. Most of my relationships have been with younger men. Why? Because men my age are looking for teeny-boppers (I past that stage a while ago) , and also, I do not attract older men, I attract younger men. This is the way it has been my whole adult life. I figure men have been doing it since the beginning of time. Well what's good for the goose...

November 11, 2009 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  4. scenic

Demi is almost 50 and in pictures I have seen of her without the makeup she does look more age appropriate. I think it is hard for her to accept the fact that she is middle aged. It is hard for all of us. Regarding her marriage, I wish her the best.

November 11, 2009 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  5. practical thinker

Vicky B., I cannot imagine they married each other because of the year the other was born - neither purposely hunted a relationship with such age gap. Rather, they appear to have married because they love, respect and enjoy each other, and continue to do so. You need to consider that most marriages end in divorce - but guess what? Statistics also show that most people marry another who is of or about the same age. Food for thought!!! Hopefully, this reality forces narrow-minded people to think twice about sinfully judging/bashing happy couples who were born in different years.

November 11, 2009 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Vicky B.

I think something is seriouisly wrong with marrying a guy 16 yrs younger than yourself. I characterize it as robbing the cradle, no matter how any one else looks at it. Sheesh, she could have son Aston's age, for Pete's Sake!

As for her acting, she had her day. But, her priorities in life changed when she married this kid.

Sorry, but that's the way it is.

November 11, 2009 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Et Cetera

"Hmmm...she's not getting any acting jobs. Think it might have something to do with her lack of any discernible talent?"

Two words: Megan Fox

November 11, 2009 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  8. anotherhotmomma

Classy, stylish and beautiful Demi is adored by her current husband, the father of her daughters AND her daughters. That's so rare, so stop the negative language! She's sufficiently talented or else she would not have been in at least three great movies, and as ultra-competitive as Hollywood is, she just needs to get lucky –and she may not, unfortunately. Even if Demi's had plastic surgery, it is NOT difficult to look 15-20 years younger. Even on my comparativelyl peanut salary, as long as I exercise 3-4 days a week, watch my calorie intake and enjoy consuming foods/drinks that are loaded with anti-oxidants, I will continue to look 20 years younger - and I only use Dove soap and water on my face. Actually, reality is that the 20&30-somethings who eat like sh** and are sedentary make it sooooo simple for us "older" women who take good care of ourselves mind and body to be more desirable to younger men. In ten years I've dated men 20 years younger and up to 8 years older. Age is just a number, but I cannot be attracted to men, regardless of age, who do not take care of themselves, who lack confidence and who have a complex about how they look. (BTW, I'm a mom, and my dates don't spend time with my kids, and I have no desire to live with anyone or to marry. I so LOVE being independent.)

November 11, 2009 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  9. J.Crobuzon

Naah, I'm pretty sure cougar is the word.

November 11, 2009 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
  10. jason

i am 68...my girlfriend is 38...what does that make me ??????? EXTREMELY HAPPY lol

November 11, 2009 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  11. Jango Davis

I consider Demi Moore along the same lines as Michael Douglas, they're both incapable of being in a relationship with someone their own age due to either a lack of maturity, or the desire to control their initimate relationships by hooking up with someone younger who can can extert their dominace over.

November 11, 2009 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  12. RS

I'm wondering if I'm the only woman who doesn't find cougar as a derogatory remark. I find it kind of comical in a way. I guess I'm a Puma then, if that's what I'm categorized as. I'm a 31 yr old, who somehow keeps getting these younger guys who want to hook up with me, but they refer to me as a cougar. Sorry to burst anyone's bubble but I don't go looking for these guys. They find me, and their interest is kept even more the minute they find out my age. Every single one of them has told me it's their fantasy to be with an older woman, and that's why they seek them out. Some seek them out because they think that they can gain someone who can teach them things. Others have told me they seek out an older woman, because they want someone who's mature and that the women their age or younger have been nothing but drama.

November 11, 2009 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
  13. Linda

You go woman! We ( women) should all be with men at least 7 years younger to even out life spans and keep intimacy alive longer. It is about time that it is ok for women to have younger men- men have been at that for years often to the detriment of those younger women.

Demi, you look marvelous and directors and producers are fools to not offer you major parts!

November 11, 2009 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  14. Sam

There is a window in every actress' carreer when they are considered too old to play the love interest, and too young to play the mother. Demi is in the middle of that window.

November 11, 2009 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
  15. kenneth

Meryl Streep, Sally Field, Goldie Hawn, Susan Sarandon, Diane Keaton, Helen Mirren, Angela Bassett all seem to find acting roles just fine at their age. Acting skill has a lot to do with it. But there's a difference between being an actor and a movie star. Demi Moore is a movie star and they don't last.

November 11, 2009 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  16. Amir Ali

Good too late.

November 11, 2009 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
  17. Peg

Demi, the real reason you are called a cougar, robber-of-the-cradle, etc. is that Ashton is so drop-dead gorgeous, is that all us women are jealous. There... now you know.

November 11, 2009 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
  18. Lydia

Ruth Gordon was 15- 16 years older than Garson Kanin and they were married for over 40 years. Love is about the beauty between two souls and not superficial looks.

More power to Demi and Ashton. I hope they have a long, happy marriage.

November 11, 2009 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
  19. Mary Lee

Meow !! Meow!!!! It is quite sad that so many people feel the need to criticize with "claws out" about others . I can only assume that one of THEIR personality flaws is the lack of ability to look for the good in others . Hmm, maybe they never heard the old saying " If you don't have something good to say ,say nothing at all" . Or maybe, they have always been verbal bullies.
    Everyone needs to reread Chaun's comment and learn the way to post with real CLASS.

November 11, 2009 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
  20. re- confused

Confused? For sure you are confusing Demi Moore with Courtnet Cox which is the actress fron Friends, Dirt and Cougar Town

November 11, 2009 at 10:36 am | Report abuse |
  21. thismomrocksx3

I can identify with Demi! I am a 34 year old mother of 3 who is dating a 22 year old man. I didn't seek him out and actually tried to deny my feelings for him for a long time based on "society's opinion" of what our relationship could be. We are extremely happy, my children adore him and I can see us together for a very long time! Age is just a number and these titles are stupid. Demi is a beautiful woman and she loves a man who adores her. Leave it alone people!

November 11, 2009 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
  22. the hairball

really . . . . who cares? she's not getting acting jobs? it's easy to blame it on age . . . . but she say's she's not getting the roles she "wants" . . . . well, too bad. yes, demi, you're getting older - deal with it.

November 11, 2009 at 10:08 am | Report abuse |
  23. Theresa Sessions

Hummm...seems okay for men to have younger women so why the fuss? Look at the statistics...women live longer than men so why shouldn't the woman be older? The cougar label is ridiculous. When will the double standards ever stop. As far as Demi not being offered the roles she would like, well I think somebody is missing the boat. I would love to see her face on the big screen as often as possible. She is a dynamite actress and will always be hot hot hot.

November 11, 2009 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
  24. mc

You know, there have been a number of comments from women expressing dismay over the use of "cougar" and stating that men have been with "much younger" women forever, and it's considered ok...

Considered ok by whom?? Any time an older man (take Hugh Hef for example) is with younger women, there are a pile of women commenting about how disgusting it is. Those same women who think it's disgusting for men seem to want it considered ok for women. It's either "ok" or not for _everyone_. Personally, i think that if it works for the individuals involved, everyone else should save the commentary for their own dysfunctional lives.

Live and let live people.

November 11, 2009 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
  25. Kev

Demi thinks she is not getting jobs because she is too old... no Demi, you are not getting the jobs because you can't act.

November 11, 2009 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
  26. Chaun

Demi Moore I believe did a great job in A Few good Men, Indecent Proposal, Ghost, The Seventh Sign and G.I Jane. I would like to see her in more movies. Although I doubt she will be in any blockbusters. She has to realize that the industry she is in is super-saturated with actresses old and new with a market always looking for the newest, flashiest or sexiest thing. Age in her case is not the issue...
    If her and her husband are truly in love, what's in a name? A rose by any other name smells just as sweet.

November 11, 2009 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
  27. Barbara

Why the issue of age-I was married for 38 years to
    a man 10 years younger than myself-Never a problem
    with us-He passed away a year ago -He was the love
    of my life.So all the best to Demi. If a marriage is on a
    solid foundation ages will not make a difference.
    By the way my mother was 6 years older than my
    Dad-They were married for 65 years.

November 11, 2009 at 9:13 am | Report abuse |
  28. yesyes

Call it Puma, cougar, or whatever I just think it is HOT HOT HOT. I think every younger guy at some point needs to experience it with a more experienced woman at least once...because by then they actually just tell you what they want, and how they want it and aren't ashamed to show you a few tricks they've learned. A good educational experience.

November 11, 2009 at 8:54 am | Report abuse |
  29. JR

Over 40 makes you a cougar, you aren't a puma:) wishful thinking

November 11, 2009 at 8:49 am | Report abuse |
  30. Joey

It's a shame that two people in love must answer to all the self appointed smart people regarding their relationship. If Demi Moore was a man married to a much younger woman, people would call him a stud. What a double standard.

November 11, 2009 at 8:31 am | Report abuse |
  31. JR

Hey, Marissa Tomei had a role in The Wrestler. It was an awful movie, but you got a nice view of Marissa's, um, acting talents? :) She's older, but still hot! Demi? Meh.

November 11, 2009 at 8:17 am | Report abuse |
  32. JR

This is news? Sorry Demi, but who really cares? Should you be concerned with the opinions of those who read gossip rags because they just have to know what's going on in the lives of Hollywood stars? No. If you're happy with your mate, that's enough. Screw what everyone else thinks.

November 11, 2009 at 8:12 am | Report abuse |
  33. Peggy

"Cougar" is a bad thing?! OK but really? Cougar makes me think of sleek, sexy, unapologetic women, old enough to know what they want and go after it with power and panache."

I've always dated guys younger than me–the most was 7 years younger–so I guess I'm not really a cougar. I find them fun and not stodgey.. I'd love to have a younger guy take an interest in me–I still feel like I'm 38.

November 11, 2009 at 8:11 am | Report abuse |
  34. Frank

All this talk about her is a waste of time . Not a male in his right mind would kick her out for eating popcorn.... she is still great. And ladys if you looked that good at 47 more power to all

November 11, 2009 at 5:42 am | Report abuse |
  35. Home

The hilarious thing about "cougars" is that it's nothing new. If people want to have sex, they'll seek out anyone willing to give it to them. It's not impressive that a young man would be willing to have sex with an older woman. Men will have sex with nearly anything that moves. So why do cougars think it's such an accomplishment? Having sex is one thing, having a relationship is another. A younger man is usually not mature enough to stay with an older woman for more than a few weeks. He will either start looking for a younger girl, or the cougar will get sick of him because of his immaturity.

November 11, 2009 at 2:59 am | Report abuse |
  36. Justin

So women in their 30s looking for younger men are "pumas"

And women in their 40s looking for younger men are "cougars"

Are women 50+ looking for younger men "silverbacks?"

November 11, 2009 at 2:25 am | Report abuse |
  37. Stephen

Age difference is really only the answer to a simple math equation (subtraction, I think). So what does that have to do with interpersonal relationships? Perhaps ya'll should try one.

November 11, 2009 at 1:57 am | Report abuse |
  38. HeckSpawn

I thought the "Puma" term referred to a "Cougar" that had a foreign accent?

November 11, 2009 at 12:49 am | Report abuse |
  39. Tony

I think that Demi is a great actress. I find it unfair for older people to be labeled for having relationships with younger partners. Age does not matter in a relationship; what's important is that a couple truly loves one another.

November 10, 2009 at 11:46 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Lori

Many actresses in her age bracket are getting roles. it has nothing do with her marriage to Ashton. She should just be happy and enjoy her life without worrying about it–to be honest,she is not a good actress. Merly Streep is much older nearly 60 and has many roles. A far more talented actress–it is lack ot talent not age.

November 10, 2009 at 11:28 pm | Report abuse |
  41. RealMan

Man what a tough crowd. I don't think she was that bad of an actress. Thats what she is, NOT an actor! And she does have a point. Most of the roles out there are for younger women. Really. But hey thats her problem. And whats with all this cougar stuff?? Anybody ever hear of right and wrong?? Yea I know it's old fashioned but what ever happened to having sex with some one you love instead of just keeping score? When sex is just used as a cheap thrill do you really think it will ever mean anything to these women, or men for that matter,ever again? Now go ahead and mock me, call me old fashioned and out of touch what ever you want. BUT, look these so called "cougars" up in 10 years and see what they have. Nothing, thats what they will have and we will all have to feel sorry for them. Yea, right.

November 10, 2009 at 11:13 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Monica

I have nothing against Demi....but no roles for older women? Meryl Streep, Susan Sarandon, Sandra Bullock, all women over 35 some well over 35. Granted the movies have been pretty bad this year and last, a good movie is far a few between but some manage to keep working...oh, Julia Roberts, Renee Zellweger, Marisa Tomei, all over 40. Maybe Demi needs a new agent.

November 10, 2009 at 10:58 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Ardea

Everyone keeps asking why there is no name for men who pursue and marry women much younger than they are. There is a word: pathetic. Women get stronger and more capable as they age, men get weaker and more dependent. So this dynamic makes perfect sense. Men want women who remind themselves of their former strength, women want men who have not yet lost that strength.

November 10, 2009 at 10:52 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Sanari

The problem with Demi is that she has used her body and looks as a vehicle in getting the major roles in the past. She does have some talent but then after a certain age, the audience is less interested in seeing actresses shed their clothes and are looking for more depth. Sure, Demi initially received a lot of attention with her "Charlie's Angels" comeback and dating Kutcher but, what else was there to it- not much. That is why actresses like Meryl Streep, Glenn Close have stayed so successful- because of talent. They also are not above accepting roles in the small screen (ie Damages and Angels in America). I think that perhaps Demi is looking for the next blockbuster.

November 10, 2009 at 10:46 pm | Report abuse |
  45. tony b

let's see...Meryl Streep, judy Dench, Jessica Tandy, hmmm.. lots older than Demi who had two big assets inserted then removed a few years ago. Could it be talent?......

November 10, 2009 at 10:41 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Juliann Newton

Ashton is the hottest actor in hollywood, and Demi is beyong lucky to have a husnband who loves her just for who Ashton obviously LOVES her vey much, because I know he cannot have children with a woman this age. He'll never be able to 'spread his seed.' with her.
    He would have left her long ago if he did not love her very much. He seems to be such a great an awesome companion, fully dedicated to his wife and 'family. I am a 38 year old woman happily married, but Ashton keeps 'creeping' into my dreams at night, and I wish he'd stop!!! LOL!

November 10, 2009 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse |
  47. bad mofo

she's overrated and all wrinkled where it counts. cmon man I've seen better!

November 10, 2009 at 10:20 pm | Report abuse |
  48. bo peep

How about just a MILF?

November 10, 2009 at 10:19 pm | Report abuse |
  49. leslieramos_manila

All you girls hitting negatives on Demi are JEALOUS!! She has Ashton for keeps.... hmn.. I smell sourgrapers here!! hahahaha

November 10, 2009 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Cambob

Labels are very important! Imagine going to a grocery store to buy soup but all the cans were unlabeled. Or imagine that every can of soup was the same flavor! We crave variety. We crave individuality. The simple fact is, some soup is very popular and some soup sits on the shelf and collects dust.

November 10, 2009 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse |
  51. KD

Maybe she not worth what shes asking in salery....

November 10, 2009 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Andrew

Yeah – well, I personally like Demi, but once youth fades and you don't have acting chops, you don't get the roles anymore. Hate to be harsh, but Demi is kind of limited as an actor.

November 10, 2009 at 9:08 pm | Report abuse |
  53. BeachyK

@Levi ..."women don't grow old gracefully. they all turn into blue haired grandmas that no one would ever believe was a hottie."
    ???
    Can you say Sophia Loren? Raquel Welch? Catherine Deneuve?
    Puh-lease. No one in their right minds would even think of calling these women blue-haired grannies!! And hot?? sizzlin'!!!
    Not all, or even most, women turn into blue haired grandmas. Most of us take good care of ourselves – eat right, exercise, and know how to smile. Get a clue!!

November 10, 2009 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Sheila

Demi Moore has always been interesting to watch in her movies. Her ability to stay "young" looking is amazing....

November 10, 2009 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Doesn't want the mature/elderly woman role

Of course she can get work. She just doesn't want the mature/elderly woman role. Keeping a young guy in the house, she needs to look young and sexy. Can't be the young sweet thing forever Demi.

November 10, 2009 at 8:05 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Ewogeema

I'm a cougar and it is fun – so there!
    My ex-husband was a jerk, and I look a million times better now than when I was with him because I am happy.
    I like young guys cuz I wasted 10 years of my life....
    Demi you are hot – Ashton thinks so and that is all that matters

November 10, 2009 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Alfredo

Demi Moore is not as beautiful as she once was but she still carries herself with aplomb. If Ashton doesnt mind being married to someone older why should anyone else complain. However, lets see what he says in like fifteen years.

November 10, 2009 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Steve Daniels

As the husband of an older woman I don't see the issue with Demi. Whether it's a few month or many years if the couple is happy together then that is a real blessing. Age should never be the issue or even a consideration. It is all about compatibility, common interests, and companionship. The rest is just superficial.

November 10, 2009 at 7:14 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Tony

I think that most of you better take an English and typing course before you post to these blogs. You are pathetic. Why not concern yourselves with your own skeletons before commenting. What have these people done to you besides allow you to be jealous of their fame and wealth. Leave them alone. It's just wrong.

November 10, 2009 at 7:14 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Debbie0269

I sooooo agree with Dave49... he summed it up with this comment..

"I say hooray for us seasoned adults who happen to have younger partners."

Me, being 48, am very satisfied in my relationship with my partner who is 27.

November 10, 2009 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Sean

She may not be the best actress, but with the complete cr@p movies that are being made these days, Im not going to pay see ANY movies!!!!!

November 10, 2009 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Palermo

This really is a very strange society. If people do not want to get married, they are branded irresponsible, unable to commit, or losers...if a woman marries a younger man she is suddenly a predator....if a man marries a younger woman he is probably creepy....and if, heaven forbid, two men or two women marry each other they are just automatically branded perverts. Good grief! Here's an idea: Why not just admit that everyone is different, there are different kinds of "families", people want different things out of their lives, and that not everyone is just like you.

November 10, 2009 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Siobhan

Funny, all of the actresses that Dirk Kennedy mentioned are hardly seen anymore and they are all quite competant. Age discrimination in Hollywood is real, and has been around for a long time. Denying it and trying to lay blame on the actor is unfair. It's also unfair to compare ANYONE to Meryl Streep. The divine Ms. Streep is that kind of talent that is rarely seen. She is truly gifted.

November 10, 2009 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
  64. alicia

So what do you call Hugh Hefner? He is 80 something with how many 20ish girls????? At least Demi & Ashton are married & in a committed monogamous relationship. Hef just sleeps around......That seems to be fine with everyone. Who is setting the moral example??

November 10, 2009 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
  65. terracoeli

The comment about Meryl Streep is SO TRUE. Older than Demi, and SHE is still acting. It really IS about talent, not age. Demi Moore doesn't seem to have much acting ability...

November 10, 2009 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Paul

I'm pretty sure she said TYPE of roles she would prefer are not coming in. NOT roles in general. So most of the arguments are null and void that many of you have posted. Helps to read the context of the statements rather than filling in your own fill in the blank meanings.

November 10, 2009 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Marnie

If she's not getting the roles she wants, maybe it's because she's hoping for younger roles in the 25-35 range. I can't believe no one would hire her for roles more age appropriate. No one wants to accept getting older, but it's a fact of life. And yes, I do think this should apply to the men in Hollywood also.

And who wants to be referred to as a cougar or a puma. They're still cats.

November 10, 2009 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Denizen Kate

Sheesh! Lemme get about a ton of cheese to go with all of the whine!

How about a completely different perspective?

My son is 36, his woman is 50. She is not a "cougar" and is not predatory. She's an absolute sweetheart! They met several years ago, they were both single, they fell in love. The heart wants what it wants, it doesn't consider age.

They are good to each other, they make each other happy, they treat each other with respect, and they work at keeping their relationship moving forward. As his mother, I say, what's not to like? Should I be horrified because she is closer to my age? Why? He's happy, therefore I adore her, too.

Get over it, y'all.

November 10, 2009 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |
  69. KMK

I don't care if she's 27, 37 or 47, she's hot! The rest of you fools hatin' are wishing you were Ashton. She's too hot to be old, so they can't cast her in the same roles as Helen Mirren or Meryl Streep. Come on man, let's compare apples to apples. She'll get some work when she starts looking 40...

November 10, 2009 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Master V

I've got a movie idea that Demi could star in. Yes, it's an "indie" project, and it's probably not feature length, but it would be an opportunity to explore her talents and plumb the depths of her abilities. Only problem is how to get in touch with her or her agent to pitch the idea...

November 10, 2009 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Walker

Let's just clarify one thing about cougars.

Cougars are hot older women on the prowl for younger men.

Key word Hot.

Because you are an older single woman does not make you a cougar. My wife's single girlfriends bandy this word about as they hit 40 and I hate to break it to them...it does not apply to them.

Fit, attractive, possible crazy and 40+ looking for a mid 20's fling. That's it, stop using this America, you have watered it down and applied it incorrectly. Just ask any guy in their 20's. Or any guy.

November 10, 2009 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
  72. JB

Its funny that women are so hung up on that word...Who cares really...Men have it bad when they date younger women...They call us perverts...So quit griping already...COUGARS...lol...It don't matter your age to a certain extent...

November 10, 2009 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Ben R

Only one mention of Helen Mirren? She seems to get a pretty decent part once in a while. She's 64, way sexier than Demi Moore ever was, and without the plastic surgery on her face and boobs. Oh, yeah, and she has more acting ability in her little finger than Ms. Moore has in her whole head and body. Maybe that's why she's working and Ms. M is not.

November 10, 2009 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
  74. hurricane ida

Rebecca, Ashton Kutcher is a grown man, and probably the most gorgeous one at that! He's old enough to make his own decisions.
    Kudos to both of them for finding each other and making it all work!!

November 10, 2009 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Wyoming gal

Demi if you had guts you would allow yourself to age gracefully and naturally and would do your own daughters a big favor by letting them have a mother as a role model who allows herself to age naturally and is proud of her looks at any age. You are perpetuating the hollywood stereotype that a woman cannot show age, but men can and when they do they look "wise" or "charactered." C'mon Demi, be a role model for all women, especially the young ones, and be brave enough to show your age.

November 10, 2009 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
  76. C

Demi Moore is self obsessed. If people can't figure that out from the countless surgeries she's had, then I don't know. It's sad that we consider this behavior normal. She is anything but.

November 10, 2009 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Levi

women don't grow old gracefully. they all turn into blue haired grandmas that no one would ever believe was a hottie. it's horrible I know. and sad. but youth and beauty are on loan, always have been. you might be able to hold on a bit longer than others, but eventually they take it all back.

November 10, 2009 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
  78. OrlandoGal

She was singled out for marrying a younger man before the 'cougar' concept was in vogue. Remember when she first started dating Ashton? It was scandalous – now ABC is doing a weekly series about it. Say what you want – she was ahead of her time. And saying that she has 'no discernible talent' is really unfair. She's had some good moments in film...unfortunately those moments are all more than a decade old. Granted, she's no Meryl Streep, but actors like Streep and Helen Mirren show that you can have a successful career in Hollywood after 40 (or even after 50). She just needs to find her niche.

November 10, 2009 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Joe M.

There is an age range for certain actresses, and Demi is one of them. You don't hear Diane Keaton and Meryl Streep complaining, because they didn't coast by for the previous 15 years solely on their looks. If Demi Moore wanted to expand her acting horizons to diversify her roles, she had a solid 10 years to do it. Following Ghost, when she could have had ANY role she wanted, she made "Nothing But Trouble" which unfortunately I have seen. She has kept her roles pretty diverse since then, but the problem is she's never been particularly good in any of them. I think she's been pretty lucky, all things considered.

November 10, 2009 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
  80. David

Do you all realize that you've just wasted a fair amount of time debating something that is of little or no importance to anyone on earth except Demi Moore? Frankly I think Ashton's a lucky guy and she's beautiful – but really – who gives a crap?

November 10, 2009 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  81. cleveland guy

She has doen some good work: About last night; The Juror; St. Elmo's FIre; A Few Good Men; G.I. Jane; Ghost; Indecent Proposal, The Butcher's Wife; If These Walls Could Talk; Disclosure; Deconstructing Harry. I would like to see her in something that really de-glamed her and made her stretch.

November 10, 2009 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Catherinette

Brian, I'm freaking DYING about your comment. HILARIOUS!!

"Manther"

That's comedy!

November 10, 2009 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  83. joi

Like Jamie Fox says "Blame It". That's exactly what she's doing.
    She can't act, actually...never could.
    So I say to you Demi... just be happy w/what you've got and stop your grrrrowling!

November 10, 2009 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Terry

CONFUSED, you really ARE confused, or you are pulling our leg??? The actress you are referring to is Courtney Cox, not Demi Moore.

November 10, 2009 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  85. th

hey confused....it was courtney cox on 'dirt' and courtney cox on 'cougar town' as well....

November 10, 2009 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  86. NSA

and confused person up there – you are thinking of Courtney Cox

November 10, 2009 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  87. NSA

what about the term Jaguar? LOL! Demi Moore has never been a "great" actress and Ashton is annoying anyway. Who cares! And to that Samantha chick above talking about her 52 year old husband who looks 30...what does that have to do with anything? It is true that Demi has admitted to having many plastic surgeries and if I was that rich, I might do it as well.....however, I find it sad that more women don't just grow old gracefully

November 10, 2009 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Baffled

CONFUSED....You REALLY are!!!! Demi Moore wasn't in "Dirt", she isn't in "Cougar Town" and she wasn't in "Friends". Can anyone say COURTNEY COX????

November 10, 2009 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  89. BLT

Ah Confused.......Cougar Town is Courteney Cox, NOT Demi Moore. Yup you are confused!

November 10, 2009 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  90. Bob King

Simply put, she is a one dimensional actress with a weak resume and limited drawing power at the box office. Just take a look at her career path... she's a product of the 80's with very few memorable roles or staying power. Her relavance today is nothing more than headlines on her efforts to fight aging with plastic surgery or hype by piggy-backing on top of the trend of the day. I suppose somewhere her hubby is twittering about that, but don't get me started on his acting ability.... did anyone else have the unfortunate pleasure of suffering through "Guess Who" or "The Butterfly Effect"??? Boggie and Becall they're definitely not! It is a sad state of affairs in Hollywood that these people are given the time of day.

November 10, 2009 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
  91. Um

Dear Confused,

You really are confused! You are confusing Demi Moore with Courtney Cox.

I was a big fan of Demi Moore when she was part of the Brat Pack but that was back in the day...it seems that it's time to let her daughters enjoy the spotlight if they have the talent to make it.

November 10, 2009 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  92. Debbie C

Confused: Yes, you are. You're confusing Demi Moore with Courteney Cox Arquette.

November 10, 2009 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  93. Beverly Kahler

I've been happily married for 16 years to a guy 15 yrs. younger than me. We match...

November 10, 2009 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  94. Brian

Wendy,

Your dad does have a label, you probably just had not heard it before... he is a Manther

November 10, 2009 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  95. Dave

She blames her AGE on her lack of starring roles???? How about the fact she isn't all the good an actress..... that might have something to do with it....

November 10, 2009 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  96. ck

What prompted me to respond with a comment is the mean spirited comments made about a person, without thought or concerns of her feelings. You were discussing her without any regard for her feelings. I challenge all you critically minded people to attempt to step into her shoes and imagine what you would be feeling if you read comments like these about yourselves or even someone close to you. Because she is a celebrity it gives everyone the right to slam her? Develop empathy, thoughtfulness and, perhaps ,maybe we could make the world a kinder place.

November 10, 2009 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  97. If she can't take a joke, Kutcher

Meanwhile, Ann-Margret, who excited men nationwide by wearing only socks and a long sweater as she sang, “How Lovely to be a Woman” in 1962’s motion picture adaptation of “Bye, Bye Birdie,” has worked more regularly than Moore over the last decade. So to recap, Ann-Margret was sexy in 1962. Demi Moore was born in 1962. Ann-Margret gets more work today than Demi Moore, but Moore says it’s because of Moore’s age that she can’t get work. Oh, and just for the record, Sofia Loren graced the big screen this year in “Nine” along with Nicole Kidman, Penelope Cruz and Kate Hudson. I don’t think anyone has ever confused Demi Moore, Ann-Margret or Sofia Loren with Meryl Streep, talentwise, so if it’s not age, and it’s not talent, why is it that Demi Moore can’t get the work she wants? Does she still want Julia Roberts money? Is she that hard to work with? What?

November 10, 2009 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  98. lavenderhoney

Shut up! It's not that there are no roles for you...you just have no talent. Neither does your husband. Face it...you're time is past. Go sit on the day old shelf.

November 10, 2009 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  99. Maryann Rose

Oh, and it's Courney Cox who starred in 'Dirt'.

I guess Courtney Cox is the 'Cougar'!

LOL!!

November 10, 2009 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  100. BIT

I don't understand why people attribute her beauty to having money. Plenty of rich people can afford trainers and nutritionists and plastic surgery, but THEY DON'T LOOK LIKE DEMI MOORE! She always has and always will be gorgeous.

November 10, 2009 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  101. Maryann Rose

Yes, Confused – you are confused.

It is Courtney Cox that stars in 'Cougartown'.

November 10, 2009 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  102. Beth

Demi Moore's age doesn't have anything to do with her not getting movie rolls...it's her lack of talent.. The only movie I remember her being good in was Ghost. Having money also lets her have younger looks...plastic surgery!

November 10, 2009 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  103. rebecca

she is 48 like for the last five years,i remmember that she was born
    1960 or 61
    Is very selfish thing to keep this young boy
    he needs to expierience his own life become father
    and be his own person
    demi is lame and self-absorbed

November 10, 2009 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  104. Maryann Rose

I thought PUMA meant: Party Unity My Azz

Did the meaning change now?

November 10, 2009 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  105. RJ

Why the name calling?
    Cougar / puma/ what ever.
    Its not hurting you is it ?
    It's not your life. Suck it up !
    worry about more important things !!!

I married a man much younger then me over 16 years ago.
    It was a third marriage for both of us. We are in love as much now as we were when we started dating over 17 years ago.
    I would not change a thing.
    Happy and in love with my husband and he with me.

November 10, 2009 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  106. dirk Kennedy

first of all, she looks beautiful. she doesnt have the "ive had my whole face redone like melanie griffith catherine, zeta jones, faye dunaway and jessica lang. Demi looks natural so whatever she might have done is not noticeable. so sut up about that. cant a 47 year old look great?
    also he acting is far from terrible. there are far worse actresses who work regularly. shes a beautiful woman with competent talent. no better no worse that most. To compare anyone to merl streep is ridiculous. shes one of the greatest ever. demi is no worse than julia roberts or sandra bollock

November 10, 2009 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
  107. Betty

Sorry Demi, to get to the point, your are, quite frankly a bad Actress, you've never had much of a range, even when younger. I can't even think of a part that you did that was'nt regreatable. Meryl Streep your not. The only reason you still get copy, is that you married this young man.

November 10, 2009 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  108. Confused

I'm confused.

Demi agreed to play the lead role in the recently-cancelled Dirt on FX as a older woman who beds younger men. Then she takes another role as an older woman chasing younger men in her current series Cougar Town. What gives? IMHO, she is bent on glorifying the cougars of the world, so why complain when she is described as such?

I liked Ms. Moore a lot more in Friends, when she hooked up with men her own age like Chandler or even older guys, like Tom Selleck.

November 10, 2009 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  109. Janet

Why is it that Hollywood men continue to get leading roles, but Hollywood women are thrown to the curb at the first sign of a wrinkle? Just look at Jack Nicholson, Harrison Ford, Al Pacino, Robert De Niro, George Clooney, Richard Gere, etc., etc. Some of these guys are, frankly, not exactly stud muffins anymore, but they continue to be cast as if they were, usually co-starring with much younger women as their love interests.

November 10, 2009 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
  110. Jordan

Ernie, that is just a stupid statement. Meryl Streep is only getting old lady parts at this point, because she is an old lady. No one wants to see her do anything sexy; unless you're over the standard retirement age, she hasn't been sexy for several years. Demi Moore still looks a decade younger than she actually is. The comparison is simply out of skew.

November 10, 2009 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
  111. Terry

It irks me too that Demi is called "cougar" by the tabloids, yet from the beginning of time men have married women young enough to be their daughters yet there's no derogatory term for that b/c it's normal. In any event, I didn't necessarily mean to side with Demi. She doesn't get roles b/c she is lacking in talent. Her looks can't carry her any longer. There are plenty of actresses much older than Demi still getting roles, although admittedly much less often than their male counterparts, so they go to actresses who actually have talent.

November 10, 2009 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  112. James

I can see why she is frustrated. Unfortunately, Demi never really focused on roles for her 'acting' when she was a huge star. Perhaps, if she had focused on that before, we might see her as an actor and not a beautiful woman who happens to be a movie star. That being said, there are so many of her male counterparts who have far less acting ability than she, and they are still getting roles. The only way for her to restablish herself is to continue to seek good roles in smaller films.

November 10, 2009 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  113. marie

i'm sorry but i really dont think its her age... the last good thing i saw her in was Ghost...

November 10, 2009 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  114. Debra R

As long as people are of legal age it should not matter who they marry. Why do we always have to give them false names?

November 10, 2009 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  115. April

HAHA!! Demi- here's two reasons why you aren't getting the acting roles you want:

1) the last good movie you made was in 1996, the one before Striptease!

2) You are almost 50 and trying to look like a 30 yr old unsuccessfully. There are plenty of amazing roles for women who are your age. Meryl Streep, Diane Lane, Julia Roberts, etc....

November 10, 2009 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  116. Barbara

What a great duo,neither can act at all. Why do so many people in this country care about these people in Hollywood? Does anyone even care about age anymore? Why do we have to label them anything–what do we call men who date younger women? Distinguished–please!!!

November 10, 2009 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
  117. samantha

Sunny girl, you don't need a trainer, million dollars and a cook to keep you young. You just study to understand healthy foods, learn how to actually TRAIN in the gym. It is just too much effort for some fat slobs that would rather gobble a greasy cheeseburger and WHEN they do cook , first thing they grab is the oil and butter. My husband is 52 and looks physically 30, he owns a gym and from being married to him I now understand how he does it, it takes dedication and effort.

November 10, 2009 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  118. Bob

How is it that an older woman dating a younger man is called a "couger" but an older man dating a younger woman is called a "pervert". All in all, it is amazing any of us can find anyone, any age, anywhere anyway. Good luck Demi.

November 10, 2009 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  119. Joe

Sorry Demi you are a COUGAR.

November 10, 2009 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  120. William

Her best role was opposite But Reynolds in Striptease, removing her clothes was the only talent she had. Terrible Actress.

November 10, 2009 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  121. Bill

Really, with all the stuff around us, does it really matter if a woman is a puma or cougar or kitten or tiger or whatever?
    How about just dividing them into one of two groups, if you have to divide them at all, either "happy" or "unhappy"!
    Or, how about paying more attention to more pressing matters than a 49 y/o lady whose only talent is entertaining us?
    Sigh!

November 10, 2009 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
  122. Amused

I'm a little amused at her blaming her age on the job slump.
    Fact is she was never a good actor. Her looks and fanbase from the 80's kept her employed into the 90's, but the same could be said about VanDamme, Segal, and Armie.
    You could replace her with Jodie Foster in anything Demi's starred in for the last 15 years, and the movie woud be elevated 2 grades.
    Sorry Demi, it's not your age. You handled your personal life with grace and class all these years, I'd suggest handling the career issue the same!

November 10, 2009 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  123. Nikki

I think this as more to do with the fact that Demi is having a difficult time dealing with getting older than the fact that there are no roles for her. She obviously is fighting age by the consistant plastic surgery. I truly feel bad for her. Maybe having a younger man is doing her more harm than good.

November 10, 2009 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  124. Dee

Nobody ages in Hollywood. She looks 30 years old thanks to botox and plastic surgery. Maybe they want a 47 year old actress to look 47. Or is that impossible to imagine?

November 10, 2009 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  125. Bwuce Wii

Who cares? She has marginal acting ability and the REST is Plastic Surgery.

November 10, 2009 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  126. Lynda

If you're married, you're not really supposed to be prowling. If you're prowling, you're cheating. Simple as that. If you're not married, and prowling, that's one thing, but if you're married and prowling, you're cheating. If you're cheating, you deserve what you get in the end.

Demi Moore is a lackluster and unbelievable actress. No talent. Her 15 minutes of fame are up – again.

November 10, 2009 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  127. Belinda

No one thinks twice or talks about a relationship if the man is 15 years the senior. Isn't it unfair that the oposite makes such waves?

November 10, 2009 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  128. Leigh Ann

November 10, 2009 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  129. Tom

There's nothing wrong with being a cougar. I love them. They don't waste time or play games like the younger one's. Plus it's refreshing b/c they offer to buy you drinks.

November 10, 2009 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  130. jim

who said it was a pergorative? I see it as a complement.

November 10, 2009 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  131. Lucinda

Please, we're women. Of course we're predators. From the animal kingdom up. Don't we set our sights on prey, get territorial and capture... taking him all the way to the Justice of the Peace! It's the female cats who prey, hunt and kill dinner for their mates in the wild. Be proud of the label "Cougar." Be thrilled a younger man even gives you a second look, let alone wants to play house! Purrrrrrrrrrr

November 10, 2009 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  132. char

ok, forgive my ignorance but what is the diff between cougar and puma> i figure both could be veiwed as predatory? please enlighten me. what makes "puma" better than "cougar"? thanks!

November 10, 2009 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  133. mr happy

Why not just call her crazy?

November 10, 2009 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  134. samantha

i'm 33 and my hubby is 52 and I treasure him dearly. And he still keeps up with me. So i'm a baby kitten and he is an old wise Walrus, haha.

November 10, 2009 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  135. Joseph Gmeinder

She's just not a very good actress. She was terrible in Mr. Brooks. Her jaw seemed tight and it must of been from the work she has had done. Dont blame it on marrying a younger man cause were not buying it.

November 10, 2009 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  136. vmp1227

I applaud Demi and Ashton and their relationship. They have created a loving family for her daughters and have also made a potentially uneasy situation with Bruce Willis into the model for a friendly divorce. Out of all of the Hollywood families, I think this one is by far the strongest and healthiest. Demi Moore should not be discriminated against just because she found happiness.

November 10, 2009 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  137. wilyfem

How is a puma different from a cougar? They are the same animal. Therefore, how is the term any "less derogatory".

November 10, 2009 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  138. Sunny Girl

I think Demi Moore has some valid points to what she said. First, she is not the first woman to marry a younger man. Additionally the term "cougar" to me is defined as an older "hornier" woman that preys on much younger men. I think this is wrong. What is the term they use for men? Oh yes...it's quite normal. Michael Douglas married a much younger woman but as much as that is in the news it does not compare to what Demi has to put up with. Lastly though, keep in mind that Demi spends alot of money on keeping herself young. Perhaps if she chose to grow older normally like most women this would be a non issue. Some may disagree with this however, most women don't have a trainer, cook and a million dollars to spend on keeping your looks young.

November 10, 2009 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  139. Mike

I think Moore's performance in that last Charlies Angles movie has more to do with her not getting more/better offers than her age does. That was the worst comeback vehicle since Sharon Stone ghastly bit in Catwoman.

The 80s are over, and so is Moore's time in the sun.

November 10, 2009 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  140. DeltaD

I glad to see that someone besides me thinks the label "cougar" is demeaning. Why must a label be attached to a woman who dates a younger man at all? Criticism of Demi is so unfair since men have been dating MUCH younger women forever!

November 10, 2009 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  141. beast

Demi deserves roles with the depth she seeks...I would like to see her in a puma/cougar intrigue role...Her best work has yet to be seen...She came close to reaching that pinnacle in "About Last Night" "Ghost" and "GI Jane"...

November 10, 2009 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  142. christa

Umm, the term puma already exists, for women in their 30s that go for younger guys.. though she may not look it, Demi is almost 50; she is merely an older woman that married a younger guy. she wasnt necessarily cruising for a younger guy. She is no Puma, but not a true Cougar either. who really cares?

November 10, 2009 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  143. Lt. Weinberg

The reason she does not get offered roles is because she is not a good actress, and her looks (awkwardly altered by plastic surgery) can no longer carry her acting ineptitude the way they once did. I imagine that is a hard concept to grasp; so, she is opting for the much easier I am a victim of a larger conspiracy-route.

November 10, 2009 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  144. Wendy

She seems happy and has a good relationship with her ex. My Dad married a younger woman (12 years younger than my Dad...she is 10 years older than me) what is the term used for him? Nothing...he is not a cougar. He and my mom divorced and a few years later my Dad met my step-mom. Again, why are women given the bad label?

Demi Moore is a beautiful woman. She is probably one of the few actors that I would actually go pay my money to still see on the big screen...the rest are far too political for me.

November 10, 2009 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  145. Dave49

I hate how society has to put a label on people, as a 49 year old gay man who's only pursued by 20-30 year old guys and know one seems to notice so why should it matter who you pick or are picked as a partner ans long as you're happy...I say hooray for us seasoned adults who happen to have yournger partners.

November 10, 2009 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  146. Ernie

Maybe acting skills have something to do with it? Meryl Streep keeps getting work and last I checked she is older than Demi.

November 10, 2009 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  147. A-Rod

Demi is married so calling her any of those terms is ridiculous. A cougar is a single older lady. A married older lady on the prowl is just a sl*t.

November 10, 2009 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  148. M E

November 10, 2009 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  149. debbie338

As someone who has been married to a much younger man for nearly ten years, I fully understand her frustration. I hate the word "cougar" because I was never a predator, nor did we seek each other out based on ages.

November 10, 2009 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |