November 5th, 2009

Oprah on her "OWN?" Not just yet...

An article posted on Hollywood scoop specialist Nikki Finke's Deadline.com claims that Oprah Winfrey will leave her syndicated talk show in 2011 and move it to her cable network, OWN (the Oprah Winfrey Network).

But the "Queen of Media" isn't going anywhere, according to Winfrey's Harpo Productions... at least not yet.

"She has not made a decision yet," reads a statement to CNN from Harpo Productions. "As she has previously stated, she'll be making an announcement before the end of the year."

So it sounds like a change is coming... we just don't know when. Or where: according to Finke, the move would involve the show being produced in Los Angeles, not its longtime home in Chicago.

That said, if Oprah decides to make a move... how will it affect her show? Will fans still watch?

1. CJ Richards

Another hate filled comment by Kevin.

Hmm Oprah hated men so much she supported Obama over HRC? Does that not contreadict what you say? The thing that gets me is people ability to write something that is totally opposite to tangible facts... you are probably an O'Reilly or Glenn Beck watcher and it not I would recommend that for you cause you.

Oprah hates men so much she supported a man over having a woman president.

I dont think you should suggest where the N word is used and not used especially being that I doubt you are black. If you were black you would have more respect for the history of the people that have been called that N word to not trivialize is so much as to think that you could replace words used today and it would fit just fine.

You are crossing the line on this and I hope CNN in monitoring this. I take offence to what you have written.

November 20, 2009 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  2. kevin conway

She hates men...And I'm an Obama liberal. She opens a girls school and doesn't oversee it enough to prevent abuse.

She has a childish fit when a guy just doing his job closes a botique in europe.

Take a typical Oprah show, replace the word men with the N word and it reads like a Klan rally.

November 20, 2009 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  3. CJ Richards

@JoAnn... Oprah still has many millions of fans that make her famous and loved so your exit is barely missed...

Two things: Oprah never said she the things you attribute to her so you are spreading untruths. She has always maintained her belief in God and only expanded her understanding of it.

Basically you are saying that you can never support anyone who does not believe in God exactly the same way you do.

What you just wrote reminds me why we have so much conflict in the world... It is because of the judgement of people like to who claim to follow a God that denounces judgement and a derivitive of judgement is conflict. This is just another failed attempt by a Christian (you) at exemplifying the life of Christ.

November 20, 2009 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  4. JoAnne

I can only express what changed for me as far as my loss of interest in the Oprah Winfrey Show, but I can assure you it affected many others I know as well. A good many people who followed her for years can remember, like me, when Oprah got her start in The Color Purple and shared her story of how she had prayed if it was God's will she would get the break from Steven Speilburg. How she was working out in the gym, and simply put it in God's hands ~ singing "I Surrender All" ~ and did indeed get the part. For years Oprah stood out as someone who thanked God for the blessings she received. She kept it real for many years and we understood her heart, her struggles with weight, her generosity with blessings others, even planning a wedding and changing her mind. It ~ we stayed with her supporting her. It seems Oprah slowly changed her thinking once she attained the peak of her success and suddenly it wasn't God any longer she was praising but her own ambition and even boldly denied the very core of her previous deep beliefs & faith, in Jesus Christ. She can be the wealthiest woman on earth, but that did it for me.

She will never want for earthly, material possessions, but at what price? Eternally, she has self-inflicted a deep wound and I pray she
    takes stock at where her treasure truly lies. "OWN" may be her next challenge, but this poster will never believe she made the right choice.

November 20, 2009 at 6:05 am | Report abuse |
  5. Sarah

Nobody but Oprah could pull this off. That being said... how much higher do you need to go? You already have a cult following big enough to make your own religion.

November 12, 2009 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  6. wayne

Wow. Lonely conservative in CT, you are living proof that bigotry is still alive and well in it's truest form. But I dare ask, what, if anything have you accomplished in your life that would remotely come close to what Oprah Winfrey has done to make the world a better place? If having her own network will allow her to move into the next chapter of her life, and it has a positive affect on others, more power to her. And, how soon we forget, Oprah was doing her own thing long before the name Obama was ever uttered.

November 11, 2009 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  7. nightowl

I think that Dallas Child is right on! Thank you for posting your opinion and for spelling everything correctly! LOL

Depending on what your interests are – I think that Oprah has really helped a lot of people. Some of her shows are profound and informative and very helpful. I wish you could pull them up on her site and re-watch them. I started recording her shows recently b/c if she does have one on that I wished I had seen, then I didn't miss it. But I will admit that I delete almost all of them so far!

I am worried that she will lose viewers as well. How can I DVR a station that plays her all the time? Will I be recording constantly?

November 10, 2009 at 7:54 am | Report abuse |
  8. leslie

I am from the philippines, it's a small country with huge population. Oprah here is a POP Culture. We admire her strength and love for humanity. Nobody that we know of spends their personal money to go after Pedophiles... FOR CRYING OUT LOUD give her credit for protecting the American Children. Guys let's see the better side of her not a few of her imperfections. America is lucky to have a woman of her caliber.

November 9, 2009 at 10:23 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Just Forgive

My comment is regarding Oprah canceling BeBe Winans from her Karaoke Show. I finally see the difference between Oprah's God of the Universe, who gives prosperity and power, over the Love of Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ gives us the power to forgive and cover a multitude of sins. Oprah is popular and wealthy enough to do almost anything she wants, and yet does not have enough power to forgive Chris Brown, Bebe Winans and anyone else who has asked for forgiveness and are trying to improve their lives.
    How profound would it be that she was less concerned about her reputation and image and more concerned about the image and reputation of her friend, "He who is without sin, let him cast the first stone".

November 9, 2009 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Working

Congrats O!!!!!!!!! You deserve every bit of success that comes your way regardless of what those that hate you for no reason have to say. You are blessed, stay blessed!

November 9, 2009 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
  11. my 2 cents

I agree with the Lonely folks! Don't watch her now...will not be watching her later. She is waaaaay too self serving for me! She could be doing so much more with all she has.....its a pity!

November 9, 2009 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Dallas Child

I'm a Black American woman who has, I believe, a pretty objective view regarding some of the comments I see here. I deeply admire all that Oprah has accomplished and I rarely miss her shows, however I understand where people like "De-Oprahfied" and "Lonely Liberal/Conservative" are coming from. There is plenty of room in this country for Realists ("De-Oprahfied") AND Dreamers("Change Is Coming"). Qualities from either group are what created the United States of today. When some of our forefathers who were Dreamers decided to stand against the fearsome British Redcoats, it were the Realists who came up with Plan B's to make sure the Revolution did not resoundingly fail. The CNN producer is right... while we do have the freeedom to post our opinions, let's all try to let this difference of opinion roll off our backs instead of leading us to post erroneous assumptions. This is something I had to learn most recently.

November 9, 2009 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Olu

lonely Conservative in CT.

I do agree that Oprah is full of herself, but it's hard to stay down-to-earth when you get to that level of status. I don't care who you are, once you become rich, well-known, it changes you.

As for the Obama think. Come on now, it seems to me that everybody now takes their anger out on Obama, no matter what the genesis of the anger is.

I can't get laid – BLAME OBAMA!

i'M TOO FAT – BLAME OBAMA!

GOT CROOKED TEETH – BLAME OBAMA!

JUST GOT FIRED FOR STEALING OFFICE SUPPLIES – BLAME OBAMA!

Not to say that Obama is doing such a great job right now, but come on. It seems people will use any execuse to inject Obama in a Negative light.

May or May not be racist, but it is what it is.

November 9, 2009 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
  14. anonymous

You do anything well for long enough and there will people that don't like you.

November 9, 2009 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Magdalena

Oprah was a better role model when she was poor and overweight. The only kind of person I would ever take seriously about "weight-loss" or "dieting" better be fit for life, not on an extremely unhealthy fat roller coaster. Oh, and she seems just kind of racist and a bit discriminating. This is just my opinion but come one she obviously likes African American girls better, just look at the school she built!

November 9, 2009 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  16. little hope for the future of man

are we seriously arguing about Oprah here? i thought we're all grown up here. and i'm only 16.

November 9, 2009 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  17. La Verdad

Jealousy will ruin your life! Give it up! It wasn't Oprah that broke your heart.

Curious, when will you stop watching FOX?

November 9, 2009 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  18. CJ Richards

I cannot believe the hate of Oprah by some albeit a few. Please lets remember that these people are on the fringe because O is still very popular contrary to media attacks and reports about her.

Political groups are trying to bring Oprah down becuase they saw what her influence can do in the last election. They are trying to drag and throw all kinds of stuff at her. I will not be surprised if it is the same person posting hate of O with different names...

For a billionaire who has done so much and obviously cares about humaity do you hate them for not signing your paper? or for getting lied to?

The reasons and excuses some are giving on this board is so crazy it leaves me with negativity about our humanity. You can do as good as you can and give all you can... people will hate you for any reason because of jeleousy.

I believe many of the people on this board are jeleous of Oprah that why...

November 9, 2009 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  19. De-Oprahfied

Lonely Conserv – I'm with you. Oprah is all about Oprah. She is good at what she does, no doubt. But watch her closely. When she has black people on her show she reverts to speaking black (no, I'm a realist not a racist), when country people are on she speaks with a twang and when uber-sophisticated people are on she speaks just like them too. If you recall, she has bashed Michael Jackson in previous shows time and again but now she's all about mourning MJ, or rather, capitalizing on it. She has mastered a "sincere" laugh however it comes across to me as ingeniuous. Pay attention to the guests she hugs and kisses. It's fascinating. I stopped watching and DVR'ing her when Obama won the election. The first words out of her mouth on the show following the election was the "American people have spoken." Well, I spoke and it wasn't about Obama. So, she denigrated my vote in all the Obama hype. Now, she's all but turned them into saints. I can't deny she's done well with her career, her choices, her aid, her everything. We, the American public have created an egotistical monster. She's a snob, she's arrogant and untouchable. I wish she would decide upon God or Spiritualism. She's a hypocrite when it comes to the two. Just my opinon.

November 9, 2009 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Elle

I hate the hate here!! The woman has changed the face of America forever, take it or leave it it's the truth. As for posting my feelings, what I'll say is this: I predict HUGE audience losses should she move her show.

November 9, 2009 at 3:30 am | Report abuse |
  21. Diva in the Rock

I sense a lot of haters. This is all this is; people have nothing better to say. What mark are you leaving on this earth? Oprah is amazing, and I guess that's why she has all these haters. And You know who you are. Even the ones who try to make up hating reasons like her not signing a playbill. Like Oprah is racist, yeah right!!!! Get a life or make a difference people.

November 8, 2009 at 8:50 am | Report abuse |
  22. Pookie

Pookie isn't my real name....but Oprah is the Example of a REAL American.....got a problem with that??

November 7, 2009 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  23. CJ Richards

Everyone knows the devil wears prada and O like Ralph Lauren so she cannot be the devil... hehehe

November 6, 2009 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
  24. TJinCNJ

Oprah is the devil.

November 6, 2009 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Tired of TV

Who really cares if she moves, who really cares if the show survives. Television is full of "reality" crap, and even more unworthy talkshows. They are all self serving and not worth the watch.

November 6, 2009 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  26. bird

Good! the farther away she is from me, the better. Get her over on the west coast..... it'll sink that much faster.

November 6, 2009 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Sherry

When Oprah was first starting out I thought she was great, didn't like to miss the show. But somewhere the real Oprah got lost, she no longer connected with the people on the right level. Suddenly she became more of a "STAR" and less of a person. I am glad for her that she has made her way, that she has the level of success she dreamed of and that she has become a household name. And to Theater Lover, don't feel left out you are not the only white person she wouldn't give an autograph to.

November 6, 2009 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  28. CJ Richards

Theater Lover in San Diego so what you are trying to day is Oprah is a racist?? There could be a million other reasons why you did not get your ish. Your story is not true because I also went to see the color purple in NY and Oprah was there and people compained that the whites were getting attention (some also would say sad but true) so how do you balance that against your own story?? Most likely there are reasons that you are not aware of...

@Tammmy thanks for exposing the individuals who now HATE Lady O because of Obama. I am not particularly a fan of Obama but I still love Oprah.

November 6, 2009 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  29. kevin conway

Oprah hates men. Insert the N word where the word men is in most of her show's transcripts and it would read like a Klan rally.

November 6, 2009 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  30. AJ

While I don't see anything wrong with Oprah and is in fact impressed with her success and wish her all the best. It does seem that she is very self promoting. Look at her magazines. Each month, it's a different picture of her. What if instead it was a picture of an average Joe or Jane that did something that we can all be proud of. I personally feel that a great person is someone that gives without having to be known to be the beneficiary. If she gives a car, everyone has to know it came from her. If she supports someone, everyone has to know she did it. Oprah is a very intelligent, resourceful and talented woman. But she did not get there on her own. Those books she promotes? Someone else wrote them. The talk show that she has? It's because viewers tune in to watch her. It would be nice if she wasn't always seen as this one woman, I did everything on my own, powerhouse. Even God didn't do it alone, he had Jesus.

November 6, 2009 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Theater Lover in San Diego

So, a few years ago when Oprah's "Color Purple" came out, I had my mom in NYC for the Tony's. We went to see CP and Oprah was there. It was a wonderful moment for me on 'the Great White Way" because audiences so rarely have people of color as a large contingency, let alone the almost 100% that night.

As we were all exiting the theater, O was signing Playbills. My mom (a white woman) asked her to sign and suddenly she was done...but only until the next AA asked her to sign outside. I was stunned.

So, when I went back to my 100% minority 3rd grade classroom and told them about all the stars and played some great songs from the shows, we decided to send the Playbill to O.

No response. And I included a letter explaining and included a self-addressed stamped envelope. At the least, I would have liked her handlers to return my B-way Playbill.

I have a lesser opinion of her now, as a result. Sad, but true story.

November 6, 2009 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  32. tammy

The real reason you dislike Oprah is because she stomped for Obama; isn't it??? We hear you loud and clear......

November 6, 2009 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  33. kc

First of all just because Lonely in CT doesn't like O, doesn't mean she is racist. I'm a Black woman who feels the race card was played unfairly in those comments. I don't particularly care for Ellen, I think her show is a bit boring, but I am far from racist.
    FLASH! not everything is about race. Grow up people! I think Oprah owning her own station is just the next logical step for her business. She's a smart businesswoman. More power to her

November 6, 2009 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Liz

Oh barff... She must be the most narcissistic person on the face of the planet! And do you really think Obama would have been anything without her endorsement? Oh please...

November 6, 2009 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  35. lonely liberal in CT

To clarify my position one more time:
    1. I don't like Oprah and do not watch her because I think (my opinion) she is all about Oprah. She likes the attention she gets. She placed herself in the position when she stumped for Obama and gushed over him like a girl with her first crush.
    2. I like to watch Ellen because she seems to be about entertaining people. She always seems to be accentuating the positive.
    3. I am using the term "handmaiden" as the term of someone who follows someone with a religious like devotion to another. There is nothing racist nor sexist about it. Example: "Behold the handmaiden of the Lord"
    4. If people would look up the meaning in a dictionary or a thesaurus we would all be better off.

November 6, 2009 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  36. concerned reader avid viewer

To the lonely conservative in CT,

I can understand you not wanting to watch the show after the one author having been proved a liar but what I don't understand is why you didn't at least hold out for her follow-up interview with both he and his publisher. Miss. Winfrey was none to happy with Mr. James Frey and the whole world watched as he sizzled in the hot seat, her reputation on the line she made him answer for his transgressions.

You should check out the interview on Youtube. It was on point.

November 6, 2009 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  37. CJ Richards

she got a big ego... such a big ego... but she so hot so we can't get enough...

November 6, 2009 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  38. geniphur

It's okay to not like Oprah. I don't 'cause it's just not my type of show.

More power to her for aspiring towards her own network, though.

November 6, 2009 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Lakia

Congrats to Oprah! I think this move will present a new challenge for Oprah and her team. They will have to revamp the show.

I wonder if she can survive without her fans who don't have cable?

November 6, 2009 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  40. John

Who cares. I can't believe that people still watch this egocentric bag of hot air.

November 6, 2009 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  41. CJ Richards

Hey CNN – a conversation is useless if the parties involved are not arguing with good intentions so how is it possible to keep motives aside?

Just a thought.

November 6, 2009 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  42. CJ Richards

"lonely liberal" so what you are saying is that you stopped watching Oprah and now dislike her because someone lied to her???

It sounds to me like you were always looking for an eexcuse to not like her cause it didnt take much. If thats all you got that's the reason people question your integrity (come with something stronger than that)..

BTW Oprah has the top 3 talk shows on TV. Ellen is number 5 or 6 so there you have it. I like Ellen though so I wish her show would do a little better.

November 6, 2009 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
    • David Daniel, CNN Entertainment Senior Producer

How about we leave posters' motives aside, okay? We can discuss the topic and criticize each others' arguments without making it personal. Thanks.

November 6, 2009 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  43. CJ Richards

No "Okay" the similar hatred comes out in the way they write so smart people draw similarities.

It's one thing to not be inspired by Oprah or just not watch the show... it's another to dislike and be meanspirited towards her for no reason which is a trait many of us have identified among closet racists...

November 6, 2009 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  44. Lee

Abdul....well said!!!

November 6, 2009 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
  45. Okay

Okay, just because someone doesn't like to watch Oprah, thier a racist... really? Now who sounds stupid?

November 6, 2009 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
  46. CJ Richards

"Obama's handmaiden"... what a ridiculous and sexist statement. When has a man ever been referred to in such domestic terms for being an ally and close friend of a president?? Handmaiden because she is a woman or beccause she is a black woman??

You sound like Bill O'Reilly who arguably is one of the lowest IQ's on TV.

November 6, 2009 at 8:56 am | Report abuse |
  47. lonely liberal in CT

Re Abdul: #1. I am not a he and #2 I am not a racist. 3. What does race have to do with not liking Oprah? I also don't like the Klan....4. I think Ellen has a wonderful talk show. I just think Oprah is all about promoting Oprah including all those give aways...I stopped watching her after her book club gushed over an author who was later proven to be a liar.

Hey CNN I thought we weren't supposed to attack the poster?

November 6, 2009 at 8:44 am | Report abuse |
  48. news

This is a joint venture with the owner of Health Channel , and they are simply changing the name based on her money.

November 6, 2009 at 7:54 am | Report abuse |
  49. Abdul

gongrats Oprah. The problem with "lonely conservative in ct " an his ilk is they are under the impression somebody wants to hear or cares about their opiniion. i think Oprah will survive if 1 racist viewer doesn"t tune in.

November 5, 2009 at 10:53 pm | Report abuse |
  50. wazu

Oprah for President in 2012!

November 5, 2009 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Sherry

She is brilliant and Blessed . Hats off to you Oprah and your team

November 5, 2009 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
  52. k

I hope someone is studying Oprah and her business acumen. She seems to have the innate ability to make decisions that takes her from strength to strength. She will make the right decision for her and ultimately her company. Love her or hate her but she must be respected.

November 5, 2009 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
  53. love frank

oprah is the most positive show on tv , i will watch this angel , anywhere she goes.

November 5, 2009 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  54. PITA

Let me guess...Jealous right?

November 5, 2009 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  55. jnic

Congrats to Oprah for getting her own network. Lonely Conservative in CT I'm sure Ms. Winfrey isn't missing your viewer ship now or tomorrow.

November 5, 2009 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Change is coming

WOW!!! What a wonderfully fitting name for a network!!! Is good to see a woman reaching out to own a piece of something. Its even worth noting she's a black woman. Thank you Oprah for showing us what can be accomplished through hard work and determination!!

November 5, 2009 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
  57. tjthompson

Blah Blah Blah Lonely Conservative in CT

November 5, 2009 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  58. sickofthecrap

don't worry lonely conservative in CT, im sure there'll be plenty of Glen Beck for you to watch :-)

November 5, 2009 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  59. lonely conservative in CT

Wow...the handmaiden of Obama is going for her own netwrok? All Oprah all the time? Don't watch her now, won't watch her then.

November 5, 2009 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |