November 4th, 2009

Rihanna and Chris Brown's dueling interviews and albums

It's a publicity flurry.

Rihanna's two-part interview with "Good Morning America"'s Diane Sawyer airs Thursday and Friday. There's the December cover of Glamour magazine featuring Rihanna, recognizing her as one of their "Women of the Year." Every day it seems another Rihanna video is released, and don't forget her new album "Rated R" is due in stores November 23rd. Until now, she's been silent about the night she was left bruised and battered by then-boyfriend Chris Brown.

Tomorrow, we'll hear from Rihanna. She'll perhaps shed some light on the evening. We may learn what precipitated the blowout that ended in a smackdown. But there are two sides to every story. Rihanna's side has been dramatically illustrated by the leaked evidence photo of her swollen eyelids, bruised face and busted lips.  Chris' side includes a botched Larry King appearance, a fleeting shot of him serving his community service wearing an orange jumpsuit, and his Twitter posting with a link to a music video (made by fans) of he and Rihanna in ostensibly happier times. The video is set to Lee Carr's "The Way We Used to Be" and accompanied by Brown's apology "SORRY YALL. JUST HAD TO POST IT," with a follow-up tweet "FOR THE FELLAS: showing emotion doesn't make u weak... BEING HONEST MAKES U STRONG."

If being honest makes you strong, then perhaps we're about to see a much stronger Chris Brown. Friday at 6pm ET, his side of the story will play out in an interview with MTV's Sway. According to an MTV press release, Brown will address "the questions people have been asking."  In the 30-minute interview, the one-time R&B darling "opens up about the aftermath of his assault" and his sentence that includes anger management and community labor. Why now? Is he looking for the last word after Rihanna's two-day ABC sitdown? Could it be he also has an album to sell? Not yet, but his third album is on the way: "Graffitti" is slated to hit stores December 8th.

In the end, we have two people, two well-timed interviews, two albums to sell, and two sides of the story... with no happy ending in sight.

1. Jessica

Just because you are in the public eye does not mean you are a "role model". There are plenty of men and women out there who are celebrities that I would NEVER want my babies to grow up like.

Rhianna broke her silence right before her CD came out..why's that? Publicity for her new CD.

Chris is not a victim. Just because he grew up in an abusive house does not give him an out or an excuse. Just because your brought up a racist – doesn't mean it's right.

Rhianna is the victim, but she's using it to her advantage, which in my opinion is sick.

November 12, 2009 at 2:57 am | Report abuse |
  2. christa

A Beater is a Beater and you could see, that Chris Brown has no idea how wrong he is. I went through the same thing, put in for my divorce 3 different times, because I believed my Ex, that he would not beat me any more, but every time he had a sip of alcohol, here he went again. He also was a cheater and now I am happy, but alone, for the first time in my life I am not affraid anymore. Chris Brown is never going to stop beating people and he thinks its suppossed to be private. Why should girls or women spend their money on someone like him, who will beat them if he gets a chance. Of course all of us want a partner and happiness, but not this way.

November 9, 2009 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
  3. downsouth

If Rihanna is woman of the year, what was Farrah Fawcett in the movie The Burning Bed?

November 6, 2009 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
  4. vonnee

I'm proud of Rihanna. She's been very honest and candid. To go through something so painful at such a young age and so publicly could have broken her or made her go wild. But she seems to have weathered it. I'm especially proud of the way she characterized her desire to go back to Chris as selfish. That is so true! Sometimes women get so caught up in fairy tales and the butterflies in our stomachs that we ignore the pain of the relationship. She was mature enough to realize that the love would fade but the violence may not. She will be better in her next relationship. I'm not so sure about Chris, but hopeful.

I think the only reason she is discussing her private life is because people #1) ask, #2) make stuff up and #3) snoop to find out anyway. She has kept silent for a long time. But her speaking out will help more than it hurts.

Violence in young relationships is a reality, people! You have to talk to your kids! I have a daughter and 2 sons and you can bet that we had age-appropriate conversations with them all about how to handle this kind of situation.

I had a similar situation as a young woman of about 19. It never got this violent. The reason being is that my father told me to never tolerate violence from any man for any reason! My boyfriend slapped me when I confronted him about being disrespectful to me. I slapped him back and ran out of his room before he lost his temper even more. We broke up immediately. Weeks later he was carried away by campus police when he tried to force his way into my dorm room when I was alone. Had I allowed him to slap me and stayed in the relationship, the violence would certainly have escalated. But, my father's words were louder than the voice that said "I love him! He didn't mean it." Thank God!

November 6, 2009 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
  5. AJ

To makethtmoney, regarding your role model comment. They may not have gone into the business to be a role model, but guess what, in the public eye, they became one to anyone impressionable (ie, the developing mind of a child) that sets eyes on them. Even you whether you want to be or not, whether you like it or not, is a role model to those around you. What you do affect others. Further more, it is true, that they are not obligated to discuss their private lives, however, this is exactly what they are doing. How many interviews and stories have each done about this matter. If they really wanted it to remain private, they would have kept it private. They put it out there for everyone, including their young, impressionable, and looking for guidance audience to see.

November 6, 2009 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Kimberly Phillips

I think they both should go some where and get some help. Rhianna was silent and then broke her silence before her album was set for release. She may have started out being a victim, but she did not end as one. Chris is a victim he grew up in an abusive home and that is what he learned. He needs help and so does Rhianna they both need not to continue to be a victim of their circumstances. Oh, and stop worrying about making money on new albums release Chris and Rhianna. Hey both of you try counselling and come back next year.

November 6, 2009 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  7. lonely liberal in CT

These two are about as boring as Jon and Kate...thank God there are no children involved. Let them make their $$$ and move on....

November 6, 2009 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Franky, Land of Lincoln

I gotta say, I'm surprised that Rihanna is "Women of the year?" Then I wonder what abusive girls are then...

They are young, they need a lot to learn about managing their propaganda and issues, is in public view. They are very talented and brilliant to showcase their genius but this ain't funny at all. I personally don't care about their own internal conflicts but what can you say. What can you can say when you enter a website, is there to talk about and it ain't good at all.

I'm just surprised they are blinded with their own faults. Let alone I don't even watch MTV or anything of that nature but you know as well as I do people will be tunning in. A picture may be worth a thousand words but a silent one ain't worth jack.

As for Rihanna, hey, she's the baddest girl in America and with that endorsement, you're gonna tell me it won't make you feel good? You'll be lying to yourself and to everyone else, don't lie. I would like to give an endorsement to the ladies out there who get beatdown by their loved ones or boyfriends, and I ain't lying.

They are young and need to move on sooner or later. But there ain't nothing cool about that "Love is Blind." There's a reason why is called blind because you can't even see it for yourself. I hope they worked things out and welcome to the world of social media and obligation, isn't it everybody's dream? :)

Sorry but it is very noticeable than it looks like. I wish them the best.

November 5, 2009 at 11:43 pm | Report abuse |
  9. makethtmoney

I am so sick of all this role model nonsense that people are running on about. Rhianna and Chris brown did not enter the music industry to become role models. They did it to MAKE MONEY! How many of you blogging parents sat down and spoke with your daughters and sons after this happened? They are not obligated to discuss thier personal life. Whatever the motive I say kudos to her for talking about when she was ready to. Now go help your kids with their homework and get off face book. Here's a crazy thought. How about you be a role model to your own freakin kids!!!!

November 5, 2009 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
  10. raf in va

chris should shut up!

November 5, 2009 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
  11. A. Smith

Chris Brown should have been sentenced to Prison for the violent attack on Rihanna.

The next female victim of Chris Brown will likely see justice served by seeing Chris Brown serve Prison Time the second time around.

A. Smith
    Oregon

November 5, 2009 at 6:22 am | Report abuse |
  12. Over It

Neither of these two are a good role model for anyone and I am sorry they are getting so much air time.

November 4, 2009 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse |