November 4th, 2009

'Dance' eliminates two tappers

It's officially a "So You Think You Can Dance" season now that we've been blown away by a few dances, and had a couple of emotional goodbyes to some early favorites on Tuesday night's show. Last week's injured Noelle was back but the judge's chair set aside for Paula Abdul, alas, remained empty as the top 18 took the stage.

Unfortunately for Noelle, her first performance with Russell didn't fit the bill. Their tennis-inspired hip-hop dance was just a mess, and it just goes to show you that not every routine involving a prop is a winner.

Also looking bad out there were Channing and Phillip, who admitted that they struggled through a samba with some of the most awkward lifts I've ever seen on the show.

I had high hopes for Victor and Bianca's "Color Purple"-inspired routine but they just didn't bring the passion that was required. By this point, it was pretty clear to see that two of these six dancers probably wouldn't be back.

But enough about the sub-par performances, because there was also plenty to cheer about last night: Jakob continues to blow everyone away, and his partner Ashleigh finally matched him in their Viennese waltz.

Fellow ballroom dancer Karen shined brightly as well, absolutely nailing a NASCAR-inspired hip-hop dance with partner Kevin. The judges heaped praise on her, and this week, at least, I agree with them.

So far, this show has batted 1,000 with Bollywood routines, and I have to agree with judge Mary Murphy that Nathan and Mollee brought a new energy to it. Mollee especially took it to the next level.

Legacy, however, brought it to the next dimension. He and Kathryn, whose contemporary routine about fear brought the house down, are quickly becoming my favorite couple. I have to agree with the judges that he is surprising us at every turn with his growth.

The excellent performances continued, as Peter and Pauline flawlessly inhabited characters trapped in a Van Gogh painting (a Wade Robson production, of course, which I definitely liked more than the judges), and Ellenore delivered an incredible Argentine tango with Ryan, despite the fact that her dress was caught in her heel during most of it.

As the judges made their picks for the bottom four, it was already clear that this would be tapper Phillip's swan song, and he gave an emotional goodbye speech, mentioning the fact that half of the dancers showed up at his father's funeral just days before, and even the unflappable Cat Deeley couldn't hold back the tears. It was less predictable, and a real shame to say farewell to another tapper on the same night: Bianca, who had one of the most infectious personalities of anyone in the top 20.

Next week, the audience finally gets to weigh in on who should stay and who should go. Do you agree that Bianca deserved another shot? Did Ashleigh, Mollee, Legacy and Karen wow you this week as well? Post a video iReport or comment below.

1. Carol W.

If the fans were voting, I think that they would have kept Bianca on. She is unique and has a great personality. The Color Purple routine was not as good as it could have been, but it wasn't bad. I loved her solo. The fact that Victor seemed to be uncomfortable with it affected Bianca.

November 5, 2009 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Cathy

Mia.......

November 5, 2009 at 9:10 am | Report abuse |
  3. Cathy

Where is Paula? Why did Mya leave?

November 5, 2009 at 9:09 am | Report abuse |
  4. Leslie

I think Bianca should have been given another chance. She has tried for 3 seasons straight to get onto the show and the judges acknowledged that they saw her growth from audition to audition. It was a shame they didn't give her an opportunity to learn new styles and grow.

They are so quick to keep the hip hoppers in, even though they can't dance a waltz or hollywood style, but they wouldn't give her a fair chance. I didn't agree with their decision at all.

November 4, 2009 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Michele C

I agree Phillip should have left, his lifts were very weak. But there is no way Bianca should have left. I think Noell should have left. Her dancing for her life was very weak. I also think when the dancers are eliminated the choreographer should be eliminated also.

November 4, 2009 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Mary

Mollee didn't wow me, but Nathan did. She did much, much better than I expected, but I found his performance more convincing: I felt as if he understood his role, while she danced well but didn't fully inhabit her role. I loved the Bollywood dance–definitely my favorite of the night.
    Karen's confident performance also impressed me, but I'm waiting to see how she performs when she isn't able to gyrate and play up her sex appeal. Poor Kevin, still in her shadow.
    Between Bianca and Noelle, I don't know, it was a tossup. Both were saddled with the worst dances of the night. Tyce Diorio's ambitious routine showed promise but needed more development: it felt hectic and unfinished to me. Then, agads, the tennis dance: as soon as I saw the tennis rackets come out, I thought "Oh, no . . ."
    I thought that Phillip, rather than Victor, should be the one to go, but Channing is a big girl: I wonder how many of the male dancers on the show could lift her effortlessly. Guess we'll find out . . .

November 4, 2009 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jenna

Wade Robson's piece was definitely controversial. I think he is a genius, but a lot of his choreography for the show have the same movements and they are all starting to look alike. For what it's worth, it was fun and I enjoyed it on a superficial level.

November 4, 2009 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  8. jen

Honestly, I was glad to see Bianca go. She was quite annoying to me. And Phillip just had a really cocky attitude sometimes. Granted, I do feel for him because he lost his father and him and his family are in my prayers.
    Nathan and Mollee were amazing. I loved her little, "It's MOLLEEWOOD!" quip. They did one of the BEST Bollywood routines I have seen on this show, and I've been watching since day 1 of season 1.
    Now onto my faaaavorite. Legacy and Kathryn. Legacy, Legacy, Legacy. He's so amazing. Everytime he dances, I am just surprised at his growth as a dancer. Last night, he was sooo out of his element, yet you couldn't even tell. He danced that dance like it was nobody else's business. Kudos to Stacey Tookey for an amazing piece. And Kathryn is just gorgeous and she really is a wonderful dancer. I am looking forward to watching these two grow not only as dancers, but as partners as well. I would also go as far as to foresee maybe a little romance between the two. Marriage and little breakdancing babies. LOL.
    All in all, it was an awesome show last night. Can't wait for next week!!!

November 4, 2009 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Monica

There is NO way that Bianca should have left. Nigel's comments that its hard to show her personality in a 30sec routine was outrageous! The song selection #1 showed how fun, out-of-the-box, and upbeat she is; the slides across the state #2 that was in sync to the song were incredible. Noelle didn't do anything in her solo except the arial that she screwed up doing in her duet with Russel (which she stuck in there no doubt to offset Nigel's comment about putting her hand down on the floor to support it during the duet). Other than the arial, all she did was run across the stage and stretch her arms toward the sky.

It is hard to see Bianca go home after all the judges said that her piece was danced very well. They wanted her to dance like she was filled with the spirit of God...well I'm sorry judges but that type of joyful dance is not just turned on for the cameras. They said, in her critique, that they expected her to have so much more passion and feeling because she has seen it and danced like that in church. Well coming from a black church, you can tell when someone if faking the spirit because it looks like a dance. You can't expect her to dance like she is in church...it is a different dance not coreographed and provoked!

November 4, 2009 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
  10. Paul

Loved it! I can't wait to see more! Honored the old series and was wonderfully acted.

November 4, 2009 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |