November 3rd, 2009

Alec Baldwin & Steve Martin to co-host Oscars

This just in: to counter the widespread belief that the Motion Picture Academy is dominated by old white guys, the 82nd Academy Awards will be hosted by... two old white guys!  Okay, Alec Baldwin is barely past the half-century mark, and doing what many consider the best work of his career on "30 Rock," but Steve Martin will be eligible for Medicare next year.  (Man, now I feel old.)

Martin has proven his chops writing as well as performing, and it's a good bet they'll make at least a few references to the comedy "It's Complicated," which comes out this Christmas and stars Baldwin and Martin as rivals for Meryl Streep's affections.  And Baldwin will probably take a jab at his co-host by mentioning his 2004 Oscar nomination, as Best Supporting Actor for "The Cooler," a few times: Martin has never received a nod from the Academy, not even for his marvelous screenplay for 1987's "Roxanne."

As for hosting, Baldwin is something of a novice, but Martin hosted the Academy Awards in 2001, earning an Emmy nomination, and again in 2003.  Interestingly, when our Denise Quan interviewed Martin this May about his new bluegrass album, she asked him about a possible return as Oscar host.  His reply: "I don't think so... I did it twice, that was enough... as soon as you say yes to the Oscars, that's the only thing you think about for three months."  Guess we know what he'll be thinking about between now and next March 7.

The "mature" pair probably won't dance about the stage as Hugh Jackman did last year, though there's a good chance Martin will pull out his banjo at least once... and they're definitely both funny.  How do you think they'll do as Oscar hosts?

« Previous entry
  1. iuywerlkhgpiew

Знакомства только для секса в омске
    Знакомства только для секса в омске
    Знакомства только для секса в омске

February 20, 2011 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Debra R

Dear Matt: you are correct Balwin being a wifebeating, emotional abusive parent in no way reflects his talent, just as Roman Polanski being a twisted child molester has anything to do with his directorial talent...that being said...those of us who object to either wife beaters or child molesters would rather just watch something else....

...as for GWB... that is a bit off topic, but since you brought it up...not everyone thinks he was a bad president

November 5, 2009 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Jon

Given some of the responses here, the funniest people are obviously not going to be on stage but better these two than some "comedian' with a chip on his shoulder

November 5, 2009 at 10:38 am | Report abuse |
  4. Cynthia

i stopped watching the Oscars years ago when it became a political platform for the "informed and hip" celebrities. Definitely not tempted this time with Alec Baldwin. Love the "Happy Feet" guy, however.

November 5, 2009 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
  5. Emmy

Sounds great! They are both incredibly funny and talented. I think this may be the best host/s choice ever!

November 5, 2009 at 8:54 am | Report abuse |
  6. Jim

This is the biggest who cares!! This event is all about egos preening, vacant, mindless actors kissing other equally vacant mindless actors. People who think themselves important because they are pretty.

We don't celebrate Police or Firefighters, or teachers, or doctors like this – but those are people who really make a difference.

I know a retired man who works a 60 hour week rebuilding houses for the indigent and his wife who runs two meals on wheels programs. Where do they get an award.

I don't waste my time of this kind of narcissistic crap – and neither should you.

November 5, 2009 at 8:48 am | Report abuse |
  7. Joshua N.

I agree with Frank- "Let's save the ageism, sexism and racism remarks for where they are deserved."

Alec Baldwin is a comedic genius. I'm personally looking forward to watching the Oscars!

November 5, 2009 at 2:01 am | Report abuse |
  8. mary ann

Who ever suggested Neil Patrick Harris was 100% correct..and if they insist on 2, then NPH and Tina Fey. How come we can come up with these great ideas and the people actually putting making the decision are so lame?

November 5, 2009 at 12:45 am | Report abuse |
  9. mary ann

Steve Martin – yes; Alec Baldwin – hell no. If he was 1/2 as cool as he thinks he is, he still wouldn't be cool. If you had to have a pair why not Martin and Billy Crystal...the greatest Oscar host ever!

November 5, 2009 at 12:42 am | Report abuse |
  10. Debbie Reynolds

I would like to see Tina Fey host the Oscars!

November 4, 2009 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Mary

Robin Williams?

November 4, 2009 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Penny

With all the talent out there – this is the best they could do????
    It will be boring, with inappropriate humor – and a big dose of Baldwin arrogance. Gross.

November 4, 2009 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Sylvia

Boy, the Academy is making this the year of major changes. Now instead of 5 Best Picture categories, we have 10! Instead of 1 host, we have 2! Not sure if either change is going to be good. But, both Martin and Baldwin are talented individuals. I think much of their success will depend upon the writing and their chemistry together as a "team". I wish them both good luck. I will be watching, as I do every year.

November 4, 2009 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  14. shelleygilbert

I think Alec Baldwin and Steve Martin will be great together hosting the Oscars. Both are funny, dirty, clever, movieland buffs. They'll probably act like an old gay couple.

November 4, 2009 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  15. handle

I have heard that Steve Martin is a real jerk and treats people terrible so that has kind of tarnished my impression of him and also can never forgive him for making a sequel to the already terrible Inspector Clouseau

November 4, 2009 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Frank

I think it's hilarious that people are taking offense regarding discrimination against old white guys. Yes, us poor old white people have been discrimated against for too long! Haha. Please. Let's save the ageism, sexism and racism remarks for where they are deserved.

November 4, 2009 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Shoe Ski

How can everyone so quickly forget Jon Stewart and his terrific turns at hosting?

November 4, 2009 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Sara

Sounds like a great combo. I"ve seen both live before. And FYI: Alec Baldwin IS funny...god...

November 4, 2009 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  19. chris

Um I think one would be best. Also I dont know they used to have a real funny guy who would actually entertain people his name was Billy something, ever heard of him?

November 4, 2009 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  20. james a

I say Neil Patrick Harris. He's proven himself at the Tony's and Emmy's. He is hilarious!. He ccan sing, dance, and play an evil genious.

NPH all the way!!!

November 4, 2009 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Kristin

I'm noticing a trend....they're picking good SNL hosts. Sounds like a winning plan to me! :)

November 4, 2009 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Shoe Fanatic

I believe that Hugh Jackman was phenomenal last year as the host. The entire telecast was great. I think it's interesting to put Martin and Baldwin together. I think it will be fine.

November 4, 2009 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  23. SNL fan

I wonder if they will bring up their dispute over who has hosted more SNL and then have it drag over to who has hosted the Oscars more often.

November 4, 2009 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  24. toray99

Most of us are sick of the hollywwod left, that is why their rating numbers are down. People realize that these so-called stars are just mouth pieces for the progressive left. Same with the state controlled media, as their numbers are dropping. I guess public education is working well for the left, dumbing them down more so that they produce people that can't read. People are sick of these hollywood types that make millions and live a life of jetting around, huge mansions, slaves to care for them. Yet they have the audacity of telling us common folk how to live. Kinda of like congress making laws for the herd of cattle that they themselves don't have to follow. Just look at what most hollywood types were before being discovered waitress, dishwashers, valets, etc. Now they want to rule us, I think NOT. Don't you just love limousine liberals !

November 4, 2009 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Sherry

Steve Martin will be fine but we could do without Alec Baldwin who cares about him at all.

November 4, 2009 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Sonny Riechelson

Alex Baldwin is absolutely the best. I am sure he will do the best job. Steven Martin is briliant.

November 4, 2009 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Susan

I love both of these guys!! I thought Hugh Jackman did a super super job and I was kind of hoping for him again. BUT.... these two men will be perfect together. I'm looking forward to it !!

November 4, 2009 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Andrew

Am I the only one who thinks NPH didn't do that great of a job at the Emmy's – sure he's talented and nice to look at, but I felt there was something lacking. He didn't connect for me. I prefer Baldwin over Martin anyday. Maybe next year they'll have Tina Fey and Cloris Leachman hosting together.

November 4, 2009 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Rob

hhhmmmm,, I thought Alec was leaving the country if Obama became President? He's still here?

November 4, 2009 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  30. matt

For starters, Baldwin's personal life reflects in no way possible his talent in comedy and as an actor. He yells at his daughter and opposes W in office, and the world hates him. Meanwhile, Kobe Bryant rapes a woman, T.I., Plaxico Burress, and Lil Wayne all stock up arms and commit stupid felonies and they are loved by the citizens of this fine country. Also, W was a horrible president and everyone knows it. Martin is a great choice and Baldwin will compliment him well, as long as he is more of a supporting role. I agree with those who call for NPH to host. He is undoubtedly the best choice. I'm curious to see how he would do along side Martin. I think they would be a better duo and work very well together and the contrast in age would provide a plethora of comedy ideas. All in all, the Baldwin-Martin duo is a good choice and they will work well together. Baldwin's personal life has nothing to do with him being capable of hosting and delivering a fine Oscars this year.

November 4, 2009 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Satan

Steve Martin!? "Bleep" that "Bleep"!!
    Oscar Award Ceremonies are for "Bleeping" Closers!! And not for banjo playing weirdos with degrees in "Bleep" humanities!!

November 4, 2009 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  32. dan

Sounds like a terrific and entertaining evening...for actors. I would weigh in on the selection of this year's hosts, but frankly, I don't care. I haven't watched the Oscars in probably 20 years. Why in the world would I want to spend 4 hours watching overpaid and egotistical people rant and rave about how wonderful they are? With the economy in the tank, unemployment rate in the double-digits, and millions of families losing their homes and struggling everyday to feed themselves, only an idiot would "escape" life into the make-believe world of Hollywood excess and gluttony. Only an idiot could feel better about life's realities by watching millionaires with 20,000 dollar outfits arriving in limos to celebrate the "talent" and "hard work" of these self-proclaimed icons while the rest of the country struggles to put gas in the tank. No thanks. I'll spend that time playing with my children, looking for a job, or taking a meal to sick loved one. That's real life. You should try it sometime.

November 4, 2009 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  33. Martin

Still not enough of a carrot to get me to watch the Oscars' telecast, again. First, they decide to increase the total number of nominated films to 10, as if that means anything, especially in a season when there weren't that many great films to honor. Now they think somehow convinced themselves that having two white men host the Oscars is going to increase audiences. It's not the host or the number of films that make me, at least, want to watch. It's the slate of great films with great actors and great artistry that makes me watch to see how close things really get. And why is Hollywood so racist and sexist? Are they under the opinion that there aren't any talented women or minorities out there that can bring a sense of class, humor and drama to Hollywood's biggest night? Bah humbug I say!

November 4, 2009 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  34. Maria

Steve Martin is awesomely talented! I understand Alec Baldwin is terribly funny on 30 Rock but I've never seen it. I just don't have that much respect for him given what I've read and heard...could be wrong though. Loved Hugh Jackman, was hoping to have him back this year. I met him once in NYC and he was so nice to my daughter; a really down to earth guy not to mention he is truly a multi-facet talent.

November 4, 2009 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  35. Jill

I think they'll be a great pair... although maybe just to keep Alec out of trouble, Tina Fey should write his script.

November 4, 2009 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
  36. Maria64

I am absolutely thrilled to hear of the pairing of Martin and Baldwin. They are two of my favorite actor/comedians and also men of my generation. It's going to be the best show ever! They might even dance!

November 4, 2009 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  37. Donna

Wonderful!!! Can't wait to tune in!! Have been waiting for Steve Martin to host the Oscars again for years!!! Great choice!!!!

November 4, 2009 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  38. Daev citizen abroad

I thought Baldwin was in Canada? Or maybe that's just wishful thinking.

November 4, 2009 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
  39. mary campbell

Billy Crystal understood what was funny about the Oscars and his performances were hysterical and legendary. Steve Martin is a bland, pseudo intelectual who left his stand up world eons ago - his dry, grand man of the Theatre persona would just fall flat. Alec Baldwin is just not funny. I can't see these two egomaniacs sharing the show at all - they are not Martin and Lewis, so there's no sense they'll have illustrious chemistry as co-hosts. But let's face it, when their are co-hosts to a show weighted with such importance, it's hard to see them sharing anything at all. Both of them fly solo. The most they'll get is some outstanding promotion for their film together. And again,
    the audience is screwed.

At any age, like fine wine, Billy Crystal could rip the roof off the house; It could have been his last Hoorah, his big return, a grand, warm, exciting love fest that would be a ratings buster! Who wouldn't love to have that man back! I still remember his jokes and the hysterial tone he set that brought out kinds of unscripted, funny things from the honorees. Billy Crystal - NOBODY DID IT BETTER! Would some smart intern pull on your bosses jacket and tell them that's what America wants! They show's producers have lost touch long ago. Stop with the parade of new hosts already. It's tired.

November 4, 2009 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
  40. Red

I was hoping for Neil Patrick Harris.
    He would have gone for the triple threat!!
    He was an awesome with the Tony's and the Emmy's.

November 4, 2009 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  41. Ellen

Johnny Carson and Billy Crystal were the best. But I'm thrilled about having Steve Martin back. I think Alec Baldwin is a pig. (But a funny pig.)

November 4, 2009 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
  42. A. Smith

Yikes, the Oscars must have gotten desperate. Steve Martin is a very funny actor, but Alex Baldwin? Does he play the straight man in this duo?

What's to cheer about with Alex Baldwin, wasn't he a child abuser?

A. Smith
    Oregon

November 4, 2009 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
  43. Julia

Yet another reason not to watch. The Oscars continue their slide into obscurity and irrelevance.

November 4, 2009 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
  44. Susan

It's going to take more than excellent co-hosts to pull award shows out of the ratings dumpster. Give more attention to the platform and who PRODUCES the show > what would, say, Michael Bay (Transformers) do with this op?

November 4, 2009 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  45. why

Why the pairing of a this 'mature' couple and not someone younger to entice a younger crowd to watch? Most older people find the Oscars jaded and rigged so don't bother to spend their time. Steve Martin okay but Baldwin sorry choice, someone make sure everything out of his mouth has been written by another person.
    And what does it matter if two white guys, two white girls, one white girl, one white guy, two asian guys, etc.? It's all about the clothes anyway.

November 4, 2009 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  46. Mike

Steve Martin should bring on the STEEP CANYON RANGERS to back him up on banjo.

November 4, 2009 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  47. Sean

If you want to get a decent idea of what the two might be like as hosts, look on YouTube for an SNL skit from a couple of years ago where Martin intervenes to host the show because Baldwin is about to beat his record for number of times hosting. Hilarious. I expect them to play it up rivalry style and kick butt doing it.

As for all the commentators who are bashing liberal this or that, get a freaking grip, people. I believe the political stance he took that ticked everyone off was his opposition to the Bush Adminisgtration and the Iraq war. If you still believe Iraq was a good idea, then I guess you can still be angry at the guy, but I think the rest of us are ready to cut him some slack.

November 4, 2009 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
  48. Bruce from Cypress Texas

Forget about Martin and Baldwin...boring and probably would put us to sleep. I say Joan Rivers and Kathy Griffin...now you have a combo that would be unpredicable in everyway. I like the idea of Chris Rock and Kathy Griffin as well. Let's shake things up!!!!!

November 4, 2009 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
  49. jaime Greer

Jack Lemnon and Walter Matthew now Martin and Lewis, Now Baldwin and Martin. Should be a Wild and Crazy Night!

November 4, 2009 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
  50. Brett

Hope Steve Martin doesn't play Baldwin's wife in some comedy sketch. We all read how Baldwin likes to beat them.

November 4, 2009 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
  51. Moral compass

They couldn't possibly do a worse job than Whoopi.

November 4, 2009 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
  52. alana,13

the ocars would be just great if steve was just there now its just a wanna be named alec baldwin!its a tottal buzz kill nobodys going to watch!

November 4, 2009 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
  53. Dorothy

Alec Baldwin is super talented and extremely funny! I only have to see his face as he appears in the cast listing of "30 Rock" to be tickled! The two of them will be an interesting combination for the show.

November 4, 2009 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
  54. ALANA KONG,13

I think steve martin is great,just alone but alec baldwin is just a total buzz kill.Besides nobody even watches the oscars!and besides there is all ready too many things to watch on t.v that are good for instance 90210,NCIS,law and order,white collaar and all the horror movies.If they bolth do the oscars its going to turn out to be one of the corny horr movies like the ones that you have to scream "dont get in the pool!" but it would be like "dont tell that joke!" "dont tell that joke!" i guess that people who pick alec baldwin and steve martin where really really blind! and thought it was sombody else.

November 4, 2009 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
  55. Stephen

Kathy Griffin & Jay Leno...I would watch that pairing!

November 4, 2009 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
  56. David

Off the top of my head, I prefer either guy, not both. But if they have great chemistry together as a team. More power to them

Thanks

November 4, 2009 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
  57. CS from VA

d1120 – does your comment mean you're going to show up at the Oscars with a loaded weapon? Just asking....

November 4, 2009 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
  58. Carlo

Why was it necessary to mention that they are white?

November 4, 2009 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
  59. marilyn

Great choice! Both are highly intelligent and high intelligence breeds good humor if one has the sense of humor and they both have it.
    Besides, Alec Baldwin is a neighbor and I love him!

November 4, 2009 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  60. Joel

How's about Mike Meyers? He could rotate through the following scenarios, having the best of all worlds:

As himself
    As Austin Powers
    As Wayne with Dana Carvey

Unless, of course, you want more of a Broadway/BirdCage theme, then Nathan Lane, all the way

Now any one those would be the shiznit!

November 4, 2009 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  61. David Dawson

Possibly Mr. Baldwin can begin his performance by telling all the racist non liberals to not bother to watch the show–he is so very indearing.

November 4, 2009 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
  62. MommaCinz

Jon Stewart!!! Hello?

November 4, 2009 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
  63. Randy B.

I think Steve Martin is a classic comedian!! I remember when steve Martin worked at the Bird Cage Theater At Knotts Berry Farm in Buena Park California. in the 70s. he was a local comeidan and preformer at that time. I was glad to see him many times there on the wekeends do his Bird Cage Theater Show.. I think like in the past the oscars Will not be boring, he will bring lots of energy to the eveing. Thanks Steve, make us laugh dude!!!!

November 4, 2009 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
  64. diana

i love them both – i think they will do awesome if alec baldwin doesn't lose his temper.

November 4, 2009 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
  65. rob trowbridge

Baldwin is an idiot but Martin will do a great job. I don't care about these Hollywood pin heads giving each other awards so I, like so many others, will not watch it.

November 4, 2009 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
  66. dave

I don't get it. Seems like an odd combo and two aren't needed to start with. Either would be fine with me. Sounds more like they are there together simply to promote their movie. I really believe it's going to stink.

November 4, 2009 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
  67. Canteen Boy

I wanna see Baldwin host with Adam Sandler dressed as Canteen Boy. And dress Baldwin as a molester priest. That would be a show.

November 4, 2009 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
  68. Arlene

Oh CNN! "Two old white guys" That's very RACIAL!

November 4, 2009 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
  69. geeene

they should bring back johnny carson.

November 4, 2009 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
  70. Graham

OMG. I can't believe some of the bashing going on here. C'mon people, get a clue. It's the writers that determine the content, not the host. they just have to execute it. When i think back to some of SNL's best skits, they ultimately have either Steve or Alec in them. Who can forget Pete Schweaty!

The world will be watching. Personally, I think they will do an outstanding job of delivery as they always do.

November 4, 2009 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
  71. Kris

Fantastic! Baldwin and Martin could be the next dynamic duo.

November 4, 2009 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
  72. Nunya

I find it appalling that they will allow a child abuser to host. Unreal

November 4, 2009 at 10:16 am | Report abuse |
  73. Kath

One of the best hosts around who is really quick on his feet and really good at ad-libbing is Tom Bergeron. He would be Great!

November 4, 2009 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
  74. Jc Ohio

HEY Lisa!!!!
    BORING! Can we get someone cool, hip, funny, witty, born within the 20th century? Or how about a woman?!! I vote Kathy Griffin. I'd be thrilled w Chris Rock. Ooh, ooh how about Russell Brand?

What are you about 9 years old ... totally uneducated ....???

because unless you're 9 years old or less,

WE WERE ALL BORN IN THE 20th CENTURY

November 4, 2009 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
  75. SC

Steve Martin? Sure!

Alec Baldwin??? No Thanks! I'll find something else to do that evening.

November 4, 2009 at 10:10 am | Report abuse |
  76. Karly

Can we say BORING? I'm the first to admit that I love 30 Rock and Alec Baldwin does a fantastic job on the show - but is he really ready for the Oscars? It will just be another typical awards show like it has become in the past few years. Hugh Jackman brought something new to the show-entertainment and old hollywood style. Why couldn't the creators of the show continue on in that direction instead of reverting back to safe and sound?

November 4, 2009 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
  77. John

Taylor Swift and Kanye West would be a better duo

November 4, 2009 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
  78. Karl Michaell Weakley

Could there actually be a coherent, at least semi-intelligent adult in the Western Hemisphere who actually CARES who hosts the most boring three hours of T.V. ? The last one I even remember doing a good job at it was Bob Hope and that was some time ago. I do have to admit I don't watch it anymore – I do see bits and pieces of it walking through the den – so I can't honestly say. There are SO many other things more worthwhile to do than watch this rot. Think about getting a life, folks. It's never too late.

November 4, 2009 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
  79. Debra R

Alec Baldwin is too much of a liability...despite having respect for Steve Martin...will not be tuning in

November 4, 2009 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
  80. c. caron

Billy Crystal did it many times: why not bring back Whoopy Goldberg, she was grrreat!

November 4, 2009 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
  81. d1120

Is Alec Baldwin back in the country? Didn't he move out of the country when W was elected, like he promised? What a putz!

November 4, 2009 at 9:38 am | Report abuse |
  82. Michelle

Steve Martin is amazing!!!!!!!
    They will be a great together, can't wait t'ill the OSCARS!!!!
    Hope Billy Crystal comes back to host the Oscars in the upcoming years!!!!:)

November 4, 2009 at 9:31 am | Report abuse |
  83. Joe citizen abroad

Next year, they should consider getting the cast of Saturday Night Live to host it, and have Lorne Michaels produce it.

November 4, 2009 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
  84. Joe citizen abroad

They'll be great. It'll rival the first time Billy Crystal did it.

November 4, 2009 at 9:29 am | Report abuse |
  85. JP

"... and the only way he'll be amusing on the Oscars is when they do a highlight reel after he dies."

Probably one of the finest lines I've seen for a while.

November 4, 2009 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
  86. David Yager

I think it will be awesome that Steve and Alec will be co-hosts. It is about time that we got a pair that could possibly pull off an exciting show. For Steve, I think it would be awesome if he would add in "Wild and Crazy Guys" routine. That was Steve's best routine on SNL.

November 4, 2009 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
  87. Jen

who cares? it's a trade show!!!

November 4, 2009 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
  88. Craven

The bigger question...who cares?

November 4, 2009 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
  89. Carol

What an unbeatable 'couple'! I don't think they will have to use a script as they are funny enough and will bring us a good night's entertainment. I can just imagine the 'off the head' remarks as they read the nominee names for certain categories.

November 4, 2009 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
  90. Jim

I'd like to nominate Neil Patrick Harris to host every Awards Show there is for the next 20 years, please.

November 4, 2009 at 9:06 am | Report abuse |
  91. Miss B

I agree! Chris Rock with Kathy Griffin?! Hold on to your seats!!

November 4, 2009 at 9:05 am | Report abuse |
  92. Tom

A good way to make the oscars even more boring.

November 4, 2009 at 8:57 am | Report abuse |
  93. Cliff, Montreal

Yet another reason why I will not be watch this self Gratification event. Personnaly do not see the point in watching ego driven actors throwing roses to themselves. I would rather pogo stick through a minefield, at least there will be one surprise !

November 4, 2009 at 8:54 am | Report abuse |
  94. Karen

Bring back HUGH JACKMAN!!!!!!! and if he won't come, BILLY CRYSTAL!!!!!!!

November 4, 2009 at 8:51 am | Report abuse |
  95. Marcie

The Emmys look like they may pick Ricky Gervais. More entertaining, more up to date, funnier.

November 4, 2009 at 8:48 am | Report abuse |
  96. mo

ELLEN!

Please Ellen.

November 4, 2009 at 8:47 am | Report abuse |
  97. Joy

Steve Martin is a great comic while Baldwin is a "wanna be".

November 4, 2009 at 8:45 am | Report abuse |
  98. Beth S.

In a year when some of the best artists in Hollywood protested the hand of justice finally clamping down on an admitted rapist of a young teenage girl-why not just use David Letterman, who has gotten even more love from his fans for his despicable behavior.

November 4, 2009 at 8:37 am | Report abuse |
  99. Janice Mahon

I think this is fabulous news! They will be a great team.

November 4, 2009 at 8:36 am | Report abuse |
  100. Terri

Who really cares???

November 4, 2009 at 8:31 am | Report abuse |
  101. robert

Give me a break, i don't see the future in these guys just the past. May be the Oscars is just a relick. Do something for the young pleassssssssss.

Timberlake (justin) please

November 4, 2009 at 8:30 am | Report abuse |
  102. Kim

Hugh Jackman was AWESOME this year! It's no wonder they need two people to replace him.
    Did they just pull two names out of a hat?!?! So random!
    Between the poor selection of movies this year (can't say I could name one nomination) and the host selection, can honestly say I will not be watching!

November 4, 2009 at 8:28 am | Report abuse |
  103. dan

Alec Baldwin? Does he live in France still? Really how many people won't even give Steve Martin and the Oscars a chance now? I mean he has P.O'd half of the country with his political views and more than that with his parenting skills...and while I liked him in the Hunt for Red October that was the last time he failed to trigger my gag impulse..

November 4, 2009 at 8:28 am | Report abuse |
  104. speechtvteach

Rick Gervais would've been great with Steve Martin. Alec Baldwin...no thanks. Can't get past the way he talked to his daughter...

November 4, 2009 at 8:28 am | Report abuse |
  105. Bud Peterson

Are you kidding me?
    How will they do?
    They'll be ~*F*A*BBBBBBBBB*U*L*O*U*S*~ !!!!!

2 of my Favorite people on the planet Earth.

November 4, 2009 at 8:26 am | Report abuse |
  106. David

The Golden Globes will bring in a host for the first time in 14 years with Ricky Gervais running the show. While he doesn't have the same name recognition as Baldwin and Martin, I can bet the Globes will be funnier and edgier.

November 4, 2009 at 8:26 am | Report abuse |
  107. Eric

One mismatched pair of shop-worn bookends.

November 4, 2009 at 8:24 am | Report abuse |
  108. Jen

People really watch the Oscars? Why?

November 4, 2009 at 8:13 am | Report abuse |
  109. John Ol

Get to work you losers......!

November 4, 2009 at 8:11 am | Report abuse |
  110. dmorrow

Baldwins' lame 'joke' last year about Diane Lane and Anthony Hopkins fell absolutely flat including among the usually responsive attendees. I just don't see these guys as building expectations and the audience ratings this year will be as dismal as last year.

November 4, 2009 at 8:10 am | Report abuse |
  111. HorkusMac

Steve Martin is a fine choice.

Alec Baldwin's credentials? Maybe he can rant about his "pig" daughter or spew his political beliefs to a sympathetic audience who have little or no concept about true reality.

1 out of 2 ain't bad, I guess.

November 4, 2009 at 8:06 am | Report abuse |
  112. Matt

Now that I slept on it...why not Tina Fey with Alec Baldwin?

November 4, 2009 at 8:02 am | Report abuse |
  113. Ehav

I think Steve Martin is a great choice, but Alec Baldwin has to be an expirement. Usually these things are very well scripted if the actors are good it'll come out great.

I thought Jackman was great last year, he can act , he's a cool guy who looks good, relatively young and he can do broadway too

November 4, 2009 at 7:58 am | Report abuse |
  114. seg

Can't wait . . . great choice!

November 4, 2009 at 7:57 am | Report abuse |
  115. Ripley

Boring. Where's NPH when you need him?

November 4, 2009 at 7:56 am | Report abuse |
  116. Susan

Baldwin? How many anti Bush/Palin/Republican comments will he make and how many "Obama is the savior of the world" comments will he make.

This guy is a loud mouth hack who has zero intelligence. He spews liberal hate and doesn't have the courage or maturity to know when it is appropriate to have those political discussions.

Remember how he "lost it" and harrassed his 11 year old daughter. What a jerk.

November 4, 2009 at 7:54 am | Report abuse |
  117. Liza

Steve Martin was not a good host, I don't know why they brought him back a second time. Ellen & Hugh Jackman both did great jobs, they should be the ones asked back. Baldwin... I'm reserving judgment until the show.

November 4, 2009 at 7:52 am | Report abuse |
  118. Terry, TX

Like anyone cares who is hosting....nobody is watching these celebrity morons....Baldwin....I am not going to watch anyone who screamed "pig" at his young daughter.....click .....switch the station.

November 4, 2009 at 7:37 am | Report abuse |
  119. Walter Paul

I think the Oscars are over rated and a waste of time. baldwin is a jerk and i wouldn"t waste my time watching him. watching paint dry would be better

November 4, 2009 at 7:35 am | Report abuse |
  120. Vicki

Billy Crystal is still my fav Oscar host - no one since has been as funny as he was.

November 4, 2009 at 7:29 am | Report abuse |
  121. matthewgallagher

Can't be any worse than Letterman. Uma-Oprah...still gives me nightmares!

November 4, 2009 at 7:26 am | Report abuse |
  122. PssttCmere

They need to make very sure Baldwin is not allowed to drone on about his politics....

November 4, 2009 at 7:24 am | Report abuse |
  123. Glen

I think Kanye West should host the Oscars! ;0)

November 4, 2009 at 7:22 am | Report abuse |
  124. Mary-Elin VR

Alec Baldwin is fabulous...Steve Martin as well. I am not sure about the 2 of them together. If they lack chemistry it will suck. Is Steve Martin still funny? Haven't seen him lately...but Alec Baldwin...yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

November 4, 2009 at 7:20 am | Report abuse |
  125. Jackie

Alec Baldwin is a controlling, abusive idiot. He is neither funny nor entertaining, the Oscars will not be watched in my house this year

November 4, 2009 at 7:13 am | Report abuse |
  126. andy

kathy griffin is magically young and hip? she's two years younger than baldwin! and she's never been funny!

November 4, 2009 at 6:33 am | Report abuse |
  127. Susan Bell

I was so hoping Hugh Jackman would be back. And as for having co-hosts, I just don't see that working, especially with the two they picked. I don't see those two having the aforementioned "chemistry" to pull it off. But then, I've never really understood where the minds of the Oscar producers are. They never quite get it completely right.

November 4, 2009 at 6:31 am | Report abuse |
  128. mike

Hey that is a truly delicious combo....cant wait for Oscar night. We could do with some good laughs these days !

November 4, 2009 at 6:22 am | Report abuse |
  129. Chris

Looking forward to it!

November 4, 2009 at 6:19 am | Report abuse |
  130. Bonnie

I have not watched the Oscar awards in years ...... but will this year because of Baldwin.

November 4, 2009 at 6:18 am | Report abuse |
  131. Warren

This might not be bad choice for a pair to host the Emmys, since one has left films for a sitcom and the other's main source of income is residuals from ancient movies that play late-night on cable. But, the Oscars? I don't think so.
    Did anyone check to see if Patrick Stewart was available? Or Sean Connery? Or Meryl Streep? They have class, and can deliver a joke as well as anybody (they're all written by staff writers, BTW. Nobody just gets up there and ad libs, or even writes their own stuff.)
    When "It's Complicated" bombs, this is going to get complicated.

November 4, 2009 at 5:33 am | Report abuse |
  132. Matthew

Gee 2 hardcore hollywood liberals hosting a pomp gala so they can complain about the ills of the world while sipping champagne and telling rest of us to help the needy and protect the planet. Then they will jump in their stretch SUV limos and go to another party to revel in their greatness while they throw away more food than the average family eats in a year.

No one cares about the Oscars except for themselves. They can pat their own backs, Ill go my local Disabled American Veterans post and serve meals that night to people more important, with more class and ethics in their little finger than they have in their entire bodies.

Alec Baldwin is less relevant than an 8-track tape player. Id pay to see 8-track, wouldn't watch Baldwin for free.

November 4, 2009 at 5:04 am | Report abuse |
  133. Amit

Not sure if they are going to be good! But I can safely predict one of the probables for 2011 and that is Paris Hilton.

November 4, 2009 at 4:58 am | Report abuse |
  134. John Tighe

They were work very well together, as if they'd been a team for years, when on SNL.

November 4, 2009 at 4:37 am | Report abuse |
  135. Babaloo

I think it's great. Twice the fun. It's usually old and boring. This ought to liven it up! Especially when this dynamic duo has a team movie out next month. Wait. Meryl will show up too!

November 4, 2009 at 4:08 am | Report abuse |
  136. Mike

Would the writer really have had the nerve to write "Two old black guys"? or "Two old white gals"? Come on now: sexism, racism and ageism apply to EVERYONE. Stop already with the offensive and condescending labeling of white males.

November 4, 2009 at 3:57 am | Report abuse |
  137. Chris

Actually, two hosts is an even combination.

November 4, 2009 at 3:56 am | Report abuse |
  138. J.H.

You want funny? Get Eddie Murphy and just let him go for it. Personally, he'd be my pick or bring back Jon Stewart...

November 4, 2009 at 3:27 am | Report abuse |
  139. Mike

Wonderfully.

November 4, 2009 at 2:57 am | Report abuse |
  140. Bonnie L. Howard

Probably rediculous!!!

November 4, 2009 at 2:53 am | Report abuse |
  141. Erik

Do they think this will bring in better ratings? I mean, they went for the gay audience last year with song-and-dance Wolverine to minor acclaim and little ratings impact. But until they have popular movies that are in the nominations, or a host who isn't the 2nd billed star of TV's 63rd most watched show on TV, they aren't going to improve the audience turnout.

November 4, 2009 at 2:28 am | Report abuse |
  142. jk

Steve Martin is "definitely funny"? Did you notice the year on the calendar ends in "09," not "79"? He hasn't been funny in literally decades, and the only way he'll be amusing on the Oscars is when they do a highlight reel after he dies.

November 4, 2009 at 2:24 am | Report abuse |
  143. Joe

I don't know...

Hugh Jackman did an outstanding job, Neil Patrick Harris was phenomenal at the emmy's. There is a lot riding on entertainment for this coming oscars but I highly doubt it will be better than Jackman.

Steve Martin is a thing of the past and his era in the film industry is over. He's hosted two oscars already, time to give it to someone else. Didn't the pink panther flopppp? No one cares about him anymore.

Baldwin I'll be rooting for a bit, I'd like to see someone new (like Jackman or NPH) do an outstanding job their first time. I've never got into 30 rock show, I hate tv shows about tv shows, same with movies where the plot is all about making a movie. Totally takes away from the "escape of reality" they are supposed to bring.

Not looking forward to the oscars now....

November 4, 2009 at 2:01 am | Report abuse |
  144. Diane

Yahoo to Steve making a return, but a big fat NO to Mr. Baldwin. I find him arrogant, annoying and hard to watch. The juxtaposition is almost unnerving to even think about. I watch every no matter what (Hugh was GREAT!), but this could be a big tanker...

November 4, 2009 at 1:50 am | Report abuse |
  145. pierce

Imaginative pairing.

I will sure tune in to the Oscars.

November 4, 2009 at 1:47 am | Report abuse |
  146. steve

Havent seen the oscars in years.. and this wont be an exception..

I like steve martin and do agree he got shafted in Roxanne.. but wouldn't watch Baldwin do anything..

Couple that with that over the last 20 years or so I have neither seen nor desired to 90% of the films nominated.. and it adds up to another night of searching 57 channels and nothing on

November 4, 2009 at 1:22 am | Report abuse |
  147. calebgalaraga

Hilarious!!! Two crazy guys in a big event. It's going to be fun!

November 4, 2009 at 1:20 am | Report abuse |
  148. cheryl

I really liked Hugh. He was funny, cute and who knew he was so talented? A sure hit and a wonderfull surprise but, NO ONE CAN BEAT BILLY CRYSTAL... NO ONE

November 4, 2009 at 1:11 am | Report abuse |
  149. Andrea

I want Billy Crystal back!!!! :)))

November 4, 2009 at 1:08 am | Report abuse |
  150. Joe Dogs

Alec Baldwin is awesome – he'll be hilarious. One of the best SNL hosts ever.

November 4, 2009 at 1:03 am | Report abuse |
  151. jon

Alec Baldwin? I certainly won't be watching.

November 4, 2009 at 12:57 am | Report abuse |
  152. Ellen Morrissy

I wanted Steve, but the addition of Alec is going to be great!!!! They're both so damn funny! Can't wait!

November 4, 2009 at 12:50 am | Report abuse |
  153. Kim

Simply marvelously.

November 4, 2009 at 12:33 am | Report abuse |
  154. Frank Sellers

I have very high hopes. These two guys are great. As long as there's no pretentious presumptuous number of arrogant young actors singing and dancing about being tomorrow's Oscar winners (I don't think Rob Lowe has one yet) it should be good.

I just hope all the winners get to actually go onto the stage to accept their trophy instead of standing in the middle of the audience like poor Cate Banchet had to do.

What the hell was that all about? Some moronic producer whining, "I hate how the actors always have to go onstage to accept their Oscar! On MY show they'll stand in the isle!"?

What if some guy sitting in the seat behind the winner has to really take a leak during the acceptance speech?! And he's, like, sitting three seats in and trips over the feet he's desperately trying to get past before he pees his pants? What then?! How embarassing would that be?

Anyway, good luck Steve & Alec - or Alec & Steve or ALEC & steve...whatever - I'm sure you'll do great!

(Then again, you never know.)

November 4, 2009 at 12:20 am | Report abuse |
  155. JSRagman

It should be entertaining. They are both very funny.

November 4, 2009 at 12:13 am | Report abuse |
  156. redIrish

I was really hoping for Hugh Jackman again. He was absolutely hilarious! And the boy's got skills!!!

November 4, 2009 at 12:09 am | Report abuse |
  157. Luis

Alec Baldwin and Steve Martin?? For that bring back Hugh Jackman!

November 3, 2009 at 11:56 pm | Report abuse |
  158. Shawn

"Two old white guys"? What does that have to do with anything?

November 3, 2009 at 11:53 pm | Report abuse |
  159. Matt

Both actors have good comedy chops, indeed. They're good at deadpan deliveries, and have a way of drawing out a laugh with a straight line. They may have done a film together (coming up in December), but can they work together for a live 3-hour show? Let alone THE awards show?

November 3, 2009 at 11:49 pm | Report abuse |
  160. Lisa

November 3, 2009 at 11:48 pm | Report abuse |
  161. JM

Steve Martin? Good choice! Alec Baldwin? Umm ... why??

November 3, 2009 at 11:42 pm | Report abuse |
  162. bonnie

They will be absolutely FANTASTIC !

November 3, 2009 at 11:36 pm | Report abuse |
  163. Peter W

Chemistry is a wonderful thing. Lets see if they have it.

November 3, 2009 at 11:24 pm | Report abuse |
  164. Nickey Scarborough

I'd prefer Alec Baldwin alone... Two hosts are generally an odd combination.

November 3, 2009 at 11:21 pm | Report abuse |