November 2nd, 2009

'You Oughta Know' Alanis and the anthem

Game Five of the 2009 World Series is scheduled to begin at 7:57 p.m. ET tonight in Philadelphia, and hitting the national stage is seven-time Grammy Award winner Alanis Morissette. She'll be performing the National Anthem.

It's not an easy song to sing, and having a stadium-sized audience of fired-up sports fans - not to mention millions more watching on TV - is either one hell of an inspiration or a recipe for total disaster.

Morissette is certainly no shrinking violet, as the lyrics to her songs attest. I'm guessing she'll nail it.  Not everyone has managed to, though, and I'm betting you can remember a few botched attempts.

Who do you think has performed the worst rendition of the National Anthem ever?

1. Debra R

As I did not know she has duel citizenship, then I apologise.

The name of our Country is officially The United States of America. If you all prefer us to use the term US citizen fine by me...however for all my Canadian friends...the name of your country last time I looked was Canada not America Canada or if you prefer Canada America....

November 4, 2009 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  2. wendy

For all you haters, Alanis is a U.S. citizen.

November 4, 2009 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
  3. sparkybluedog

Here's my take on what is "American". It bothers me greatly that the self-centered society of the United States ALWAYS refers to themselves as America or American. It is deeply insulting to all the other countries that make up America. When we say "America", why is it automatically assumed someone means the United States? Canada is part of America. Mexico is part of America. There is North America, Central America and South America, all of which make up AMERICA. There is not a separate America. The U.S. AND CANADA make up North America!!!! Here it is from Wiki: "The Americas, or America,[1][2] are the lands of the Western hemisphere or New World, comprising the continents of North America and South America with their associated islands and regions. America may be ambiguous in English, as it is more commonly used to refer to the United States of America.[3]"

Also from Wiki to further clarify usage: "While many in the United States of America and other countries generally refer to the country as America and US residents/citizens as Americans,[55] many people elsewhere in the Americas resent what they perceive as misappropriation[56] of the term in this context and, thus, this usage is frequently avoided.[57][58][59] In Canada, their southern neighbor is seldom referred to as "America", with the United States, the U.S., or (informally) the States used instead."

Now, having made my point, I AM A U.S. CITIZEN, and I think it is VERY wrong for ANY Canadian (or other foreign) singer to EVER sing a song at ANY U.S. sports event. PERIOD. But we must respect Canada as part of America!

However, to be fair to Alanis, one writer is correct: Alanis has dual citizenship. She became a U.S. Citizen in 2005. DON'T EVEN GET ME STARTED ABOUT WHAT I THINK ABOUT ALLOWING PEOPLE TO HAVE DUAL CITIZENSHIP!!!!

November 4, 2009 at 10:28 am | Report abuse |
  4. Mark

IT'S GAME 6! ! ! – You'd think a news dedicated website like CNN could keep their facts straight. Alanis will be fine – Rosanne Barr was the worst.

November 4, 2009 at 8:50 am | Report abuse |
  5. ike

This entire comment thread proves u guys are ignorant and self absorbed. Why are we not hearing the anthems of the Dominican Republic and other nations that are being represented at the world series. Oh and you guys messed up in 1992 buy hanging our flag upside down, still holding a grudge.

November 4, 2009 at 3:11 am | Report abuse |
  6. Carlston

Out sources so many jobs now we out source our own anthem.

Fraggin Kanucks.

November 4, 2009 at 3:00 am | Report abuse |
  7. Jane/Seattle

Angelina: If you read this, please know that GWB was NOT elected either time as President of these here United States. See these 2 books for more extensive information: Greg Palast, "Armed Madhouse (origin: Pg. 3)" and his earlier work regarding the massive election fraud carried out, "The Best Democracy Money Can Buy". gregpalast.com My sister is a Canadian for many years now and lives on Vancouver Island. Not all of us are fooled or lulled to sleep with all the lies we are told. Peace

November 3, 2009 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Sam

OK winner for best goes to Marvin Gaye at the NBA All Star upteen years ago. Whitney Houston's was a lip-sync, duh (automatic disqualification), and worst goes to Roseanne Barr. However I never hear any Canadiens nor Americans make a clamor when a Canadien/American sings the national anthems during Hockey games, hmm...

November 3, 2009 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Angelina

Wow. So much fuss over who is singing your anthem. Hilarious. For the record, to the person who suggested many Cdns don't like Americans – that's totally incorrect – just another myth. (We do scratch our heads over the genesis for the Iraq war, the 2x voting in of GWBush...the weird US culture of faux celebrity...and we may make a few jokes over other US things but we're famous for laughing at ourselves too). I've met a lot of interesting, friendly and fun Americans during my frequent wkend travels to American cities, my business trips and my two stints taking courses at US universities. You have a great anthem and I think Alanis has a great voice, but I can't listen to most of her own lyrics (with a few exceptions) because they seem really off to me and sooo boringly self-absorbed, incorrect grammar (poetic license I guess), etc. But I'd love to hear her sing music she didn't write, like your beautiful national anthem.

November 3, 2009 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Rory

I agree with Allen. The all time worst was roseanne. The best, no doubt was Whitney Houston. This song should be sung "straight" not to see how many notes you can sing in a measure, but with the respect and honor our country deserves. Whitney brought me to tears. roseanne did too, but from anger. she shouldn't even be in the public eye.
    Alanis did a good job. I thought her low notes were a little to low and weak. But she hit them.
    I doesn't matter who sings our National Anthem, as long as they sing it with respect to our nation and for who we are.
    Third best N.A.? Jimi Hendricks at Woodstock.

November 3, 2009 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  11. jen

I watched the game last night and I think Alanis did a great job singing our national anthem. Yes, some of you may ask why a Canadian is singing our national anthem, but she's been living here in America as a naturalized citizen. And even though I'm a born and raised American, I still have love for Canada because my boyfriend is from there. Canadians are without a doubt some of the nicest people I have ever met.
    As for who did the worst job ever singing the national anthem, I can't really say because I've witnessed quite a few butcherings of our beloved anthem.

November 3, 2009 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Callie

My opinion is this...if they are living in our country and are legal American Citizens, what difference does it make where they were born? Ok so Alanis and Celine are Canadian! Who cares? Yes Roseanna Barr disrespected our National Anthem. Whitney Houston and Jennifer Hudson did wonderful. But it is the heart behind the permormer that makes the difference. I think anyone that has ever sang the National Anthem, whether at a high school football game, baseball world series or at the 4th of July fireworks in your hometown, its the thought and feelings put behind the words that people should take into consideration. Anyone that can get up in front of the nation on LIVE TV and sing, whether it be superstar or hometown goofball, they have courage. Keep the negativity to yourselves. That's the problem with this country.

November 3, 2009 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Brian

Who cares about her nationality. She will be singing *OUR* national anthem, right? Is it wrong for our military to perform the anthem of another country upon a visit by a foreign dignitary? Quit feigning outrage over this.

November 3, 2009 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Cris Baron

Alanis has dual citizenship... she's american and canadian.
    Ppl, you should get more info before talking things u don't know.

November 3, 2009 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Jim

I'm so glad that all of these loyal Americans have raised such outrage that an American citizen born in Canada was allowed to sing the national anthem. As if this was some sort of melting pot. Disgusting. At least everyone playing in the game was born in the United States. Now I've just got to locate Venezuela, The Dominican Republic & South Korea on my map. They must be near Montana.

November 3, 2009 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Tony Z

William Shatner was asked originally. He was busy washing his hair. so Alanis filled in.

Rosanne (Pig) Barr gave the worst performance of the American Natoinal Anthem ever performed.

November 3, 2009 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  17. pakluvr

she's an american citizen and proud of it so why shouldn't she sing it?

November 3, 2009 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Unbiased

Silver-tongued mentor said:

I would love to know what made you choose the word "success" when describing your nation. There seems to be alot of Americans that don't like the direction that the U.S. is heading.......so there has to be a better word than that.

There are so many comments about not having an American sing. Its one song during one game!! Who cares who sings the song? As a Canadian, I could care less if a Ugandan or an Ethiopian sang
    "O Canada" as long as it came from the heart with some passion....thats all that should matter.

How do you know that an American was not the first option?

And are you really sure that you aren't getting an invitation to "our hockey games"?

You are more than welcome to come to Canada and sing whatever song you wish....but you have to find it on a map first!

November 3, 2009 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
  19. Proud Canadian

So let me get this straight – many of you Americans are pissed that a Canadian is singing it? But I guess since Roseanne was an American you applaud her for doing it? Get real, if someone can sing it well and they happen to choose someone from another nationality big deal. I bet most don't even know she is Canadian, because apparently we all live in igloos and have no electricity up here, so how can we possibly export any sort of talent. Maybe when I watch hockey in my igloo I should be offended when an American sings O Canada, why can't the NHL send a CANADIAN to sing the Anthem when my Montreal Canadiens play in the USA. Get real people! The world has bigger issues then a Canadian singing the American anthem

November 3, 2009 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
  20. Mike

Quote:
    "Roseanne Barr's rendition was *SATIRE*. She took a revered American tradition and turned it on its head so people would see the silliness of baseball in general. It was meant to be bad."

Neil, satire is ok when appropriate. I for one don't believe what she did to the National Anthem is appropriate. Ever. What she did was disgusting and, though I never did find her humor funny, it's made me immediately change the channel ever since whenever she comes on.

November 3, 2009 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
  21. Courtney

It's posts like these that make me embarassed to be an American. I'm moving to Canada.

It's too bad they don't sell senses of humor on eBay. Many Americans are in short supply as of late.

November 3, 2009 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
  22. C S

Best ever was Marvin Gaye !!!

November 3, 2009 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
  23. Jamie

Awesome, add some female power!

November 3, 2009 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
  24. The AMERICAS

THANK YOU, GEOGRAPHIC! When are U. S. citizens going to grow up and be global citizens? The Americas comprise the peoples of our continent and my country (U. S. of A) is not the only country on this continent. Alanis was an "AMERICAN" the minute she was born in the NORTH AMERICAN continent of THE AMERICAS. Now she is a U. S. citizen, bless her little heart. I just love her voice, her courage and her attitude and I am ancient. Too bad I don't "do" sports or I would have watched her.

November 3, 2009 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
  25. slimshades26

Faith Hill is my favorite anthem singer.
    Alanis did just okay at it. Her music doesn't test the range the same as our anthem does but it was fun to watch to her stance and her hair swing around like it was a walk in the park.

November 3, 2009 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
  26. Cait

One of the Glee cast members is also from Canada...who cares where they're from? Clearly these people feel a respect and pride for the US and accepted invitations to sing the anthem. What difference does it make?

November 3, 2009 at 10:16 am | Report abuse |
  27. jr in canada

Wow....it's hard to believe that such a simple topic could turn into such a heated debate, however, being a proud CANADIAN -NOT NORTH AMERICAN, I have to add my two cents. There is no music row in Canada and all of our budding musicians have to migrate south in order to follow their career path. It's unfortunate, but true. Yes most Canadian musicians do adopt an "American" lifestyle and are more Americanized, however, there are a few who don't forget where they came from and are proud to say they are Canadian. In this case, I think that we need to understand that it is a National Anthem and while an American singing the National Anthem seems more patriotic than a Canadian singing it, the fact is, singers, whether American, Canadian, British or otherwise, if they have the vocals-just be proud that someone is honoured enough to sing the Anthem for the country of which you are so proud.

November 3, 2009 at 10:16 am | Report abuse |
  28. Debra R

Why isn't an AMERICAN singing the national anthem? Who makes these stupid choices?

Worst: Rosanne Barr
    Best: Little Big Town

November 3, 2009 at 10:12 am | Report abuse |
  29. Anette

Are any of you old enough to remember The Supremes doing the National Anthem? Three-part harmony to die for–probably 25-30 years ago.

November 3, 2009 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
  30. jen king

Roseanne just proves as Americans we should all be allowed to sing our anthem, regardless of our voice.

November 3, 2009 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
  31. AlanisNews

Thank you to all the people who've said that Alanis IS a dual/naturalized citizen. By the way, the anthem was lip-synched from when Alanis sang it in 2005 at the NBA playoffs... (youtube both and you'll see) - the best rendition was in 2007 (also on youtube)

November 3, 2009 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
  32. Cro-Magnon

Rosanne Barr sang the National Anthem? Huh? When did this happen?

November 3, 2009 at 9:35 am | Report abuse |
  33. Canproud

Why sing the SSB at all?Half the players are from other nations anyway.Maybe they shouldnt be allowed to play "America's favourite pastime.I cant believe you guys are so shook up over who sings the anthem,with all the stuff in your country you should be worrying about

November 3, 2009 at 9:29 am | Report abuse |
  34. BB

Not an issue whether she is Canadian or not, remember where we all come from, which is what makes this great country of our's what it is. How many Americans are we aware of have song the Canadian national anthem during one of their sport events? Probably not to many

November 3, 2009 at 9:13 am | Report abuse |
  35. Carlos

PATTI LABELLE sings it the best every time!!!
    I sing it worse than Roseann Barr. lol

November 3, 2009 at 9:09 am | Report abuse |
  36. Ann

I wonder how many nations are represented on the ball field?

November 3, 2009 at 9:09 am | Report abuse |
  37. Janhar

Guys seriously... with all the problems around the world is it really worth arguing about Alanis singing the National Anthem.

I have always been a fan of her music from the start with the album Jagged little Pill. I'm sure she will do a brilliant job. If you really look at it I'm sure everyone has some roots out of America. So just let the singers who have been blesses with this beautiful gift entertain you and fill your hearts with pride. Put aside your differences.

November 3, 2009 at 9:04 am | Report abuse |
  38. bestglenn

Whitney Houston Lip-synched just a she has to do 200 takes of each song and then it is edited to sound good. She is a plastic phony.
    Kathy Lee Gifford did the best National Anthem.

Roseanne Barr did the worst but it was a satire.

Full Grown men in costumes playing a childrens game with a little ball is pretty stupid, much less entertaining.

November 3, 2009 at 8:46 am | Report abuse |
  39. Taltos1667

Maybe y'all should take a look at the nationalities of the players in the World Series and then decide who should sing the national anthem. There are Americans, Puerto Ricans (still NOT a state), Dominican Republicans, Panamians, Mexicans and a Canadian. So who exactly should be singing the American national anthem for these American teams in the great American game? Oh yeah, BTW, how many American performers have forgotten the word to their own American national anthem when performing at these types of events. There was, if I remember correctly, just a couple of weeks ago an American performer at NASCAR who couldn't remember the words to his own country's national anthem. And why have an anthem sung at all at any sporting event anyway?

November 3, 2009 at 8:24 am | Report abuse |
  40. Joanie

Canadians are so full of themselves..... In fact, why not team up Rosanne Barr, Carl Lewis and Whitney Houston to jack up the Canadian Anthem? That could only make it better.

November 3, 2009 at 7:32 am | Report abuse |
  41. Sleddawg63

Gotta love these stories that bring out the ignorance of Americans. You aren't safe in your cities, your right wing is more fanatical than most extremist muslims and you care about who is singing your anthem? Wake up American, the world continues not to care.

November 3, 2009 at 7:16 am | Report abuse |
  42. Mike H

A Canadian singing our national anthem before playing America's pasttime.... Sounds good to me. We don't seem to have a problem buying imported cars to drive on American roads. We don't have a problem buying imported shoes to put on our American feet. In fact, we don't have a problem doing a lot that is un-American, so I see no reason to take issue with Ms. Morrisette singing our national anthem.

November 3, 2009 at 5:22 am | Report abuse |
  43. Eric

People! She's got Duel Citizenship, she's AMERICAN. I mean if you're genuinely curious use wikipedia or something before you make yourself sound like a punk on an internet forum. Quit your belly aching. She's got a great voice, she's gonna do great. For Pete's sake.

November 3, 2009 at 5:19 am | Report abuse |
  44. clau

Alanis became an American Citizen years ago.

November 3, 2009 at 4:54 am | Report abuse |
  45. Barry Connolly

Alannis will do a great job. It's just a song folks. Calm down and respect the lady for singing the song for you.

November 3, 2009 at 3:06 am | Report abuse |
  46. rick

They're just outsourcing like everything else we do.

November 3, 2009 at 2:37 am | Report abuse |
  47. solo piano

roseanne barr was the worst ever.

November 3, 2009 at 1:49 am | Report abuse |
  48. Sarah Walters

The best was Linda Ronstadt

November 3, 2009 at 1:01 am | Report abuse |
  49. new yorker

To all my Canadian friends, thanks for putting up with my fellow countrymen. It is likely that most of the naysayers here haven't been to your beautiful country (Toronto, Montreal, Quebec, Nova Scotia, Vancouver–really too many wonderful places to name).

I just saw the video on You Tube and Alanis was wonderful–she looked great, her voice was majestic and she brought something to our antehm that made it a special treat. Bravo Alanis...Bravo...

November 3, 2009 at 12:37 am | Report abuse |
  50. hmk

I thought she did decent with the song, it wasn't the best and it wasn't the worst. She's a wonderful singer don't get me wrong (Uninvited, hello) this just might not be her "thing." Anyway, I see no problem with a Canadian/American singing the National Anthem. Kudos to Alanis for getting out there the day after she ran a 26k marathon!
    Great lady.

November 3, 2009 at 12:22 am | Report abuse |
  51. Jenn

Well...you could get a good 'ol American boy like Jesse McCartney to sing your anthem...I mean, seeing as how he's AMERICAN and all...we all know he did a STELLAR job fudging the anthem a few weeks back at a Nascar event. I'm a Canadian, and I can recite each word of YOUR precious anthem. We are taught the American anthem up here....how many of you could recite the Canadian anthem? Oh wait - I know you're asking....a Canadian knows OUR anthem??? I mean, by your "American Standards" I should live in an igloo and have a pet beaver, right?
    Alanis will do a stellar job, she'll REMEMBER the lyrics, because she will RESPECT the anthem. More than I can say for some of your proud American artists.

November 3, 2009 at 12:19 am | Report abuse |
  52. Eh!

Since when baseball has become political? or liberal vs conservatism. She is american, and was born in Canada. So what? Isn't this what the melting pot is all about? Isn't that the concept of what the promise land is made of? Is singing the national anthem as strict as becoming president of the United States of America? You have to be born in the States (or Panama) to sing the Anthem? Anyways, I'm starting to get a little too political myself.

Roseanne was the worst one to sing it.

November 2, 2009 at 11:54 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Freetrader

It speaks volumes that "Canuck in CA", who is so full of contempt for Americans (as US citizens are colloquially known), evidently lives in California. Seems like he is a bit confused.

November 2, 2009 at 11:53 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Missy

USA was built on everything BUT natives, at least until the last few decades when we began figuring out that there was someone here before the Europeans. We're a tossed salad nation, ain't no melting pot about it, and the more that participate the merrier. God bless [the US of] America! And rock on Alanis!

November 2, 2009 at 11:49 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Andrea Marie

I'm disgusted that they have a Canadian singing the national anthem. If she had any loyalty to her country, she should have declined the invitation.

Shame on you Alanis

November 2, 2009 at 11:42 pm | Report abuse |
  56. green eyes

Did it ever occur to yall that maybe they choose the singer by their talent and not their nationality? These singers have been singing in America forever and sure they may be from Canada, but you can't ignore pure talent!

November 2, 2009 at 11:15 pm | Report abuse |
  57. sharug

I'd rather have a Canadian sing well well at the WORLD Series, than an American (Rosanne Barf) sing it poorly.

November 2, 2009 at 11:14 pm | Report abuse |
  58. saftgek

And, she sang it in as un-American fashion as do the vast majority of "singers."

There is only one way to perform the National Anthem of the U.S. – they way it was written. To deviate from the original composition is un-American and a desecration of our national musical symbol.

Those who perform our Anthem publicly, and ruin it, disrespect the Anthem, our country and all those who fought at Fort McHenry where the Anthem was born. Further, they thumb their nose at our country, and make the Anthem performance about THEMSELVES and not about our country.

A pox on any who act out on their inclination to "be cool" by desecrating our sacred Anthem. And, shame on those who cheer the despicable performance!

November 2, 2009 at 11:07 pm | Report abuse |
  59. whyhaters?

While I agree that it is kind of a dumb debate all around, I'm a little surprised that so many of the Canadians on this blog who seem to want to make all Americans out to be uneducated hicks. So much for your world class open-mindedness, eh? It's become quite a sport to bash Americans up there - painting us all with such a generalized, broad brush. You are no better than anybody else - just better at pretending to be polite.

November 2, 2009 at 10:41 pm | Report abuse |
  60. For your GEOGRAPHIC information

Canadians are "Americans" too, eh! Those of us who live in the US aren't the only Americans – everyone living in South America, Central America, and North America (that includes Mexico and Canada) is an AMERICAN! Alanis rocked!

November 2, 2009 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Charles

UAS get over your-selfs. The world does not revolve around you. It is called the WORLD SERIES, you might want to check to see how many different players are from all over the world playing tonight.

November 2, 2009 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |
  62. rrrlas

gotta love these american rednecks. If nothing else you provide entertainment for the world.

November 2, 2009 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
  63. notlikepakrh8r

She got her citizenship to the USA. Why don't you check into it. Alanis rocks and is amazing. If someone cares enough to want to sing our national anthem, let them!

November 2, 2009 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Jeff D

Morissette is a naturalized American citizen.

November 2, 2009 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse |
  65. jj

The headline on the frontpage of cnn says "Alanis has Anthem duty". Since when is it a DUTY to sign the National Anthem? It is a priveledge to sign the National Anthem.

The headline was obviosly written by an idiot liberal.

November 2, 2009 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse |
  66. cyan

Is this not the WORLD series.... is Canada not part of the WORLD.........lets not get petty and who really cares.

November 2, 2009 at 9:22 pm | Report abuse |
  67. mouth should be shut

She's American now!!!!!!!!! HELLO!!!!

November 2, 2009 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse |
  68. rrcust

I think that Whitney Houston did the best rendition of that American anthem..

Also Morisette became a naturalized US citizen 2005, but also retained her Canadian citizenship...

November 2, 2009 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
  69. chelseafran

ABSOLUTELY Marvin Gaye! What a beautiful rendition!

November 2, 2009 at 8:51 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Sharona

Who cares where the singer is from. You people are idiots! Just let them sing!

November 2, 2009 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |
  71. james

The national anthem takes a 2 octave range. Alanis can handle that; but, has often happened DOES SHE KNOW THE WORDS???

I liked the Dixie Chicks before they became the "Ditzy Chic"

Good musicianship when they did it for the super bowl.

November 2, 2009 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse |
  72. ptowolf

I have to go with Marvin Gaye at the '83 NBA All star game as the best.

November 2, 2009 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
  73. TC

Who cares who sings the Anthem. It's a baseball game, everyone is going to be drunk probably anyway. You have to be to enjoy the game. The only time I enjoyed watching big league baseball sober was when Roseanne did the Anthem. She totalled it. Now that was funny, disrespectful yeah, but funny. If you can't see the humour in it, then you must be a cricket fan.

November 2, 2009 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Heather

The most important thing about who will sing the national anthem is whether or not the person loves the country or not. Being that Alanis has lived in the States for all these years she must love the States and not to mention the fact that she has been the inspiration for millions of people from many different cultures and countries, especially Americans. She has earned her right to sing the national anthem, furthermore she is far more of a role model than previous national anthem singers. In my opinion, of course.

November 2, 2009 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Juliemac

The best? The combined military cadet choir. So perfect, so powerful, it made me cry.

November 2, 2009 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
  76. canuck in CA

As a Canadian I dont know why Alanis would want to do it. Why sing the anthem of a country obsessed with war, guns, and is full of gay hating religous nutbars.

November 2, 2009 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Canadian

Why did they pick a Canadian? Well it's because Canadians are articulate and smart enough to remember the words to your American anthem while most uneducated american hicks arent. You all did vote Bush in TWICE the defence rests! Dont worry about it too much though because come February you will be hearing a lot of the Canadian Anthem everytime a Canadian is up on the Olympic podium accepting their gold medals! GO CANADA!!

November 2, 2009 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
  78. rooster

Whitney Houstin lip synched. I was crushed when I found out.

November 2, 2009 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Marie Ramsey

Please, nobody complains when Ronan Tynan, an Irishman, steps up during the seventh inning stretch @ Yankee Stadium to sing "God Bless America". Glad to see that xenophobia is still alive and well and rearing it's ugly head over something as trivial as who sings the national anthem at Game 5 of the World Series. Don't you people have anything more important to concern yourselves with?

November 2, 2009 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Mike from NS, Canada

You should consider yourself lucky that Alanis is singing YOUR national anthem.

I'm surprised with some of your reactions. Yeah, I can understand it somewhat but do you know she spends more time in the US than Canada...and god knows how many "Americans" she has working for her and how much money she pumps into YOUR economy. Look at how much money Celine has pumped into the US economy with her shows held in Las Vegas over a 5 year period!!

Now come on...can't we all just get along and welcome her?? She's talented, has a great voice, and will do a bang up job on your anthem. Just because we're Canadian doesn't mean we don't like your anthem and doesn't mean we can appreciate your patriotism.

That's my 2 cents!

November 2, 2009 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse |
  81. j

i'm sure alanis will do a great job. but does she represent U.S. much less philly?

November 2, 2009 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Gary

Niel,
    Maybe "it was meant to be bad", but Barr was disrespecting the flag. No class.

November 2, 2009 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Joel

Carl Lewis – UUHH OHHHHH!!!

November 2, 2009 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
  84. canuck

I am Canadian. I'm not a huge fan of Alanis Morissette but I think that no matter what sport or what nationality she is, she has an amazing resume and she has earned her place there. I know that baseball is America's favorite past time but Kadavy is right, all sports are made up of every nationality you can think of so what's wrong with the anthem singers being the same way.

November 2, 2009 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
  85. char

i think alanis will do just fine, and if she has been a citizen since ( 2005?) then more power to her...surely has to be better than roseanne barr( i love her show, but stick to the sitcoms/comedy, you cant sing!) satire or not.

November 2, 2009 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  86. Skip

Whitney Houston by a very long shot

November 2, 2009 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Marvin

Carl Lewis did the worst rendition ever, by far. IIRC, he was apologizing by the end of it.

November 2, 2009 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Jennifer

Who cares if they get someone from Canada, Ireland or Iceland to sing the anthem. As long as they are a good singer then it shouldn't matter. Furthermore, Alanis has dual citizenship & she can sing both anthems very well as I have heard her before. There is always a great deal of oppourtunuty for American singers to sing the anthem so I think the haters can get over it. Her 7 Grammy's as well as the plethora of other awards she has won attest to her singing abilities.

November 2, 2009 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
  89. Jeff

I may be showing my age, but the most embarrassing SSB moment was in 1965 at the Sonny Liston-Muhammad Ali fight when Robert Goulet (born in the US, but raised in Canada....and a US citizen by the way) forgot the words and pretty much mumbled his way through it.

November 2, 2009 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
  90. KEV

Actually, you're right, Kevin, she is an American citizen now – became one in 2005. I'm Canadian and we're proud of her (as opposed to Celine Dion!). It's our pleasure to share her with all of you south of us. (I mean, let's face it, she's got talent, but the Americans buying her albums and nominating her for Grammys is what made her a star).

November 2, 2009 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
  91. Kadavy

Baseball is America's favorite past time sport, but it's made up of players from every walk of life and our teams are made up of international talent. I think it's more than fair to select a person such as Morissette to sing the National anthem; a person who has pursued her own American Dream and found great success doing it.

November 2, 2009 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
  92. Neil

Don't get me wrong- I love a good rendition of the National Anthem but I love satire, especially when other people don't it.

November 2, 2009 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
  93. palebluedot

Who cares if she is Canadian.its the song and the power of the song........get a life all you so called " American".learn what these sports are trying to do.

November 2, 2009 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
  94. Kat

Nationality should not be an issue. Like her or not, she's got talent and I'm sure she'll do a good job. And lest we forget, Rosanne Barr and Carl Lewis are both Americans.

November 2, 2009 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
  95. Liz

She's an American citizen now. As long as she doesn't suck, who cares?

And Jennifer Hudson beats out Whitney for the best, I think.

November 2, 2009 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
  96. Mike

Alanis Morrissett is a naturalized citizen of the United States and has been since 2005. She did the American National Anthem at the Stanley Cup Final in 2007 and did as well as anyone I've ever heard. Maybe she needs a bit more twang in her singing for you to appreciate it

November 2, 2009 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  97. Zac

Its THAT sort of simple minded thinking that shouldn't be allowed to post.

I didn't know there was a citizen requirement to praise our country's glory.

November 2, 2009 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Kevin

Actually, she is an American citizen now and has been for some time. I was at her concert at the House of Blues in Los Angeles the day she became a US Citizen. That was about 2004 or sometime around then.

November 2, 2009 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  99. Jules

Worse rendition of the National Anthem EVER???

Hands Down: Rosanne Barr

November 2, 2009 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
  100. lolasmygirl

by far the worst anthem ever song has got to be carl lewis

November 2, 2009 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  101. Jen

Roseanne Barr. Hands down.

That was an appaling performance...

November 2, 2009 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  102. Jason

A canadian will sing our national anthem? And no one see's a problem with that?! Why don't we have her lead our 4th of July celebration too! What a boneheaded decision to have Alanis Morisette sing the AMERICAN NATIONAL ANTHEM!

November 2, 2009 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  103. Tim

Hands down, Roseanne Barr!

November 2, 2009 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
  104. b.t.wilson

i fail to see how her nationality is relevant whatsoever, so long as the talent is there. i don't like her music but i will admit she has a great voice. she will nail it. i think the worst national anthem ever, in my opinion, is carl lewis. i was blushing something fierce watching that.

November 2, 2009 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  105. dr.strangelove

Alanis has a wonderful voice. she has sing the anthem in the Stanley Cup Finals, the NBA Finals and at college football games. She always does the song and our nation proud. I suspect this will be another wonderful performance.

November 2, 2009 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  106. Toby

It's gotta be Carl Lewis circa 1993 singing the SSB at an NBA game. It's painful.

November 2, 2009 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  107. Allen Saunders

The worst was Rosanne Barr. The best was Whiteny Houston.

November 2, 2009 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  108. ROBB99R

$100 says she can sing better then you can, and I dout that you have won 1 Grammy let alone 7.

November 2, 2009 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  109. Molly

oh boy...bring ur earplugs...the canadian moose call is coming 2 philly

November 2, 2009 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
  110. Connie Chung

Oh pakrh8r, don't be such a hater... her music has influenced the lives of countless Americans, from the millions who buy her albums, to the random folks who enjoy her easy listening hits on the radio in the grocery or the doctor's office waiting room. America embraces everyone – especially when they step up and offer their talent to sing one of our most famous songs!

Anywho... does anyone remember when Rosanne Bar sang the national anthem back in the late '90s? I think it was a hockey or baseball event, and it was one hot mess!

November 2, 2009 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  111. Joni

Of all the entertainers out there why would you pick a Canadian?

November 2, 2009 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  112. Evan

I also am question why they would have a Canadian sing....

I like Alanis though and unlike pakrh8r I think she will do a great job.

November 2, 2009 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  113. Silver-tongued mentor

Roseanne Barr has performed the worst rendition of the National Anthem by far and Jennifer Hudson has done one of the best along with Whitney Houston. As a side thought, Hey, why do they always get native born Canadians to sing our National Anthem when plenty of well qualified American singers are available? Celine Dion also sang the National Anthem and she's from Canada too. Not that they also can't celebrate our success as a nation but it would really be appropriate to give native born Americans first option. After all, you don't see us getting invited to at their hockey games to sing Oh, Canada.

November 2, 2009 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  114. pakrh8r

Why would they have a Canadian sing the American national anthem at a game in which no Canadian teams are playing? I have no doubt she will stink it up as she has with most of her music.

November 2, 2009 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |